Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: sst1.1
Description: somatostatin 1, tandem duplicate 1
Alias: PPSS1, SS1, fd57e04, sst1, wu:fd57e04, zgc:92779, somatostatin
- Zhang C, Forlano P, Cone R. AgRP and POMC neurons are hypophysiotropic and coordinately regulate multiple endocrine axes in a larval teleost. Cell Metab. 2012;15:256-64 pubmed publisher..This identifies the mechanism by which the central melanocortin system coordinately regulates growth and reproduction in teleosts and suggests it is an important anatomical substrate for evolutionary adaptation. ..
- Dalgin G, Ward A, Hao L, Beattie C, Nechiporuk A, Prince V. Zebrafish mnx1 controls cell fate choice in the developing endocrine pancreas. Development. 2011;138:4597-608 pubmed publisher..In Mnx1-deficient embryos, precursor cells that are normally destined to differentiate as beta cells instead take on an alpha cell fate. Our findings suggest that Mnx1 functions to promote beta and suppress alpha cell fates...
- Russek Blum N, Gutnick A, Nabel Rosen H, Blechman J, Staudt N, Dorsky R, et al. Dopaminergic neuronal cluster size is determined during early forebrain patterning. Development. 2008;135:3401-13 pubmed publisher..This study also shows, for the first time, that diencephalic DA population size is modulated inside the neural plate much earlier than expected, concomitant with Wnt-mediated regional patterning events. ..
- Kinkel M, Eames S, Alonzo M, Prince V. Cdx4 is required in the endoderm to localize the pancreas and limit beta-cell number. Development. 2008;135:919-29 pubmed publisher..In support of this, we demonstrate that in cdx4-deficient embryos treated with RA, ectopic beta-cells are located well posterior to the normal pancreatic domain. ..
- Anderson K, Singer R, Balderes D, Hernandez Lagunas L, Johnson C, Artinger K, et al. The L6 domain tetraspanin Tm4sf4 regulates endocrine pancreas differentiation and directed cell migration. Development. 2011;138:3213-24 pubmed publisher..Identification of a role for Tm4sf4 during endocrine differentiation provides insight into islet progenitor cell behaviors and potential targetable regenerative mechanisms. ..
- Alexa K, Choe S, Hirsch N, Etheridge L, Laver E, SAGERSTROM C. Maternal and zygotic aldh1a2 activity is required for pancreas development in zebrafish. PLoS ONE. 2009;4:e8261 pubmed publisher..We conclude that Aldh1a2 is the primary Aldh acting during pancreas development and that maternal Aldh1a2 activity persists in aldh1a2(um22) and aldh1a2(i26) mutant embryos...
- Li Z, Wen C, Peng J, Korzh V, Gong Z. Generation of living color transgenic zebrafish to trace somatostatin-expressing cells and endocrine pancreas organization. Differentiation. 2009;77:128-34 pubmed publisher..In zebrafish primary islet, beta-cells constitute most of the mass (approximately 50%), followed by delta-cells and alpha-cells (20-25% each), and PP-cells (1-2%); this is also similar to the composition of mammalian islets. ..
- Beretta C, Dross N, Guglielmi L, Bankhead P, Soulika M, Gutierrez Triana J, et al. Early Commissural Diencephalic Neurons Control Habenular Axon Extension and Targeting. Curr Biol. 2017;27:270-278 pubmed publisher..This mechanism of network formation may well apply to other circuits, and has only remained undiscovered due to technical limitations. ..
- Chen A, Chiu C, Mosser E, Kahn S, Spence R, Prober D. QRFP and Its Receptors Regulate Locomotor Activity and Sleep in Zebrafish. J Neurosci. 2016;36:1823-40 pubmed publisher..We also show that QRFP overexpression reduces locomotor activity, whereas animals that lack QRFP signaling are more active and sleep less. These results suggest that QRFP signaling participates in the hypothalamic regulation of sleep. ..
- Lodh S, Hostelley T, Leitch C, O Hare E, Zaghloul N. Differential effects on Î²-cell mass by disruption of Bardet-Biedl syndrome or Alstrom syndrome genes. Hum Mol Genet. 2016;25:57-68 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these findings implicate discrepant production and maintenance of Î²-cells in the differential susceptibility to diabetes found between these two genetic syndromes. ..
- Herget U, Ryu S. Coexpression analysis of nine neuropeptides in the neurosecretory preoptic area of larval zebrafish. Front Neuroanat. 2015;9:2 pubmed publisher..penkb), neurotensin (NTS), oxytocin (OXT), vasoactive intestinal peptide (VIP), cholecystokinin (CCK), and somatostatin (SST))...
- Quan F, Dubessy C, Galant S, Kenigfest N, Djenoune L, Leprince J, et al. Comparative distribution and in vitro activities of the urotensin II-related peptides URP1 and URP2 in zebrafish: evidence for their colocalization in spinal cerebrospinal fluid-contacting neurons. PLoS ONE. 2015;10:e0119290 pubmed publisher..44 and 8.61, respectively). The functional redundancy of URP1 and URP2 as well as the colocalization of their mRNAs in the spinal cord suggest the robustness of this peptidic system and its physiological importance in zebrafish. ..
- Tostivint H, Joly L, Lihrmann I, Ekker M, Vaudry H. Chromosomal localization of three somatostatin genes in zebrafish. Evidence that the [Pro2]-somatostatin-14 isoform and cortistatin are encoded by orthologous genes. J Mol Endocrinol. 2004;33:R1-8 pubmedThere is now evidence for the existence of two somatostatin genes in most vertebrate species, and even three somatostatin genes in teleosts...
- Gahete M, Rubio A, Duran Prado M, Avila J, Luque R, Castaño J. Expression of Somatostatin, cortistatin, and their receptors, as well as dopamine receptors, but not of neprilysin, are reduced in the temporal lobe of Alzheimer's disease patients. J Alzheimers Dis. 2010;20:465-75 pubmed publisher..cognitive processes, Abeta turnover, and tau phosphorylation have also been found to be impaired in AD, such as somatostatin (SST)/cortistatin (CST) and dopamine (DA) systems...
- McGonnell I, Fowkes R. Fishing for gene function--endocrine modelling in the zebrafish. J Endocrinol. 2006;189:425-39 pubmed..We anticipate that the use of these techniques will make the zebrafish a prominent model in endocrine research in the coming years. ..
- deCarvalho T, Subedi A, Rock J, Harfe B, Thisse C, Thisse B, et al. Neurotransmitter map of the asymmetric dorsal habenular nuclei of zebrafish. Genesis. 2014;52:636-55 pubmed publisher..Although many aspects of habenular organization appear conserved with rodents, the zebrafish habenulae also possess unique properties that may underlie lateralization of their functions. ..
- Schweitzer J, Löhr H, Bonkowsky J, Hübscher K, Driever W. Sim1a and Arnt2 contribute to hypothalamo-spinal axon guidance by regulating Robo2 activity via a Robo3-dependent mechanism. Development. 2013;140:93-106 pubmed publisher..Therefore, Sim1a and Arnt2 contribute to control of lateral positioning of longitudinal hypothalamic-spinal axons by negative regulation of robo3a.1 expression, which in turn attenuates the repulsive activity of Robo2. ..
- Filby A, Paull G, Searle F, Ortiz Zarragoitia M, Tyler C. Environmental estrogen-induced alterations of male aggression and dominance hierarchies in fish: a mechanistic analysis. Environ Sci Technol. 2012;46:3472-9 pubmed publisher..in sex steroid production/signaling (cyp19a1b, cyp17, hsd11b2, hsd17b3, ar) and aggression (avplrv1b, tph1b, htr1a, sst1, sstr1, th, slc6a3, ar) were higher in control dominant versus subordinate males, but suppressed by EE(2) exposure, ..
- Gutierrez Triana J, Herget U, Lichtner P, Castillo RamÃrez L, Ryu S. A vertebrate-conserved cis-regulatory module for targeted expression in the main hypothalamic regulatory region for the stress response. BMC Dev Biol. 2014;14:41 pubmed publisher..In addition, this enhancer provides a useful tool to manipulate and visualize stress-regulatory hypothalamic cells in vivo with the long-term goal of understanding the ontogeny of the stress axis in vertebrates. ..
- Lleras Forero L, Tambalo M, Christophorou N, Chambers D, Houart C, Streit A. Neuropeptides: developmental signals in placode progenitor formation. Dev Cell. 2013;26:195-203 pubmed publisher..Here, we identify the neuropeptides nociceptin and somatostatin, a neurotransmitter and neuroendocrine hormone, as a class of developmental signals in both chick and zebrafish...
- Horstick E, Bayleyen Y, Sinclair J, Burgess H. Search strategy is regulated by somatostatin signaling and deep brain photoreceptors in zebrafish. BMC Biol. 2017;15:4 pubmed publisher..transition to roaming search, a phenotype which is recapitulated by loss of the non-visual opsin opn4a and somatostatin signaling...