Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: spry4
Description: sprouty homolog 4 (Drosophila)
Alias: cb511, sprouty4, wu:fb92b06, zSpry4, protein sprouty homolog 4
- Herzog W, Sonntag C, von der Hardt S, Roehl H, Varga Z, Hammerschmidt M. Fgf3 signaling from the ventral diencephalon is required for early specification and subsequent survival of the zebrafish adenohypophysis. Development. 2004;131:3681-92 pubmed..This early specification seems to be essential for the subsequent survival of pituitary cells, but not for pituitary morphogenesis or pituitary cell proliferation...
- Mathieu J, Griffin K, Herbomel P, Dickmeis T, Strahle U, Kimelman D, et al. Nodal and Fgf pathways interact through a positive regulatory loop and synergize to maintain mesodermal cell populations. Development. 2004;131:629-41 pubmed..Together, these results demonstrate synergy between oep and fgf8 that operates with regional differences and is involved in the induction, maintenance, movement and survival of mesodermal cell populations. ..
- Horikawa K, Ishimatsu K, Yoshimoto E, Kondo S, Takeda H. Noise-resistant and synchronized oscillation of the segmentation clock. Nature. 2006;441:719-23 pubmed..The intercellular coupling was found to have a crucial role in minimizing the effects of this noise to maintain coherent oscillation. ..
- Paridaen J, Danesin C, Elas A, van de Water S, Houart C, Zivkovic D. Apc1 is required for maintenance of local brain organizers and dorsal midbrain survival. Dev Biol. 2009;331:101-12 pubmed publisher..These data demonstrate that Apc1-mediated restriction of Wnt/beta-catenin signalling is required for maintenance of local organizers and tectal integrity. ..
- Kaslin J, Ganz J, Geffarth M, Grandel H, Hans S, Brand M. Stem cells in the adult zebrafish cerebellum: initiation and maintenance of a novel stem cell niche. J Neurosci. 2009;29:6142-53 pubmed publisher..Nevertheless, retained epithelial properties such as distinct polarization and ventricular contact are critical common determinants to maintain neural stem cell activity in vertebrates. ..
- Ishimatsu K, Takamatsu A, Takeda H. Emergence of traveling waves in the zebrafish segmentation clock. Development. 2010;137:1595-9 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, we suggest that Fgf has an essential role in establishing the period gradient that is required for the her1 spatial oscillation pattern at the emergence of the traveling wave...
- Caneparo L, Huang Y, Staudt N, Tada M, Ahrendt R, Kazanskaya O, et al. Dickkopf-1 regulates gastrulation movements by coordinated modulation of Wnt/beta catenin and Wnt/PCP activities, through interaction with the Dally-like homolog Knypek. Genes Dev. 2007;21:465-80 pubmed..Our data therefore indicate that Dkk1 regulates gastrulation movement through interaction with LRP5/6 and Kny and coordinated modulations of Wnt/beta catenin and Wnt/PCP pathways. ..
- Banerji R, Eble D, Iovine M, Skibbens R. Esco2 regulates cx43 expression during skeletal regeneration in the zebrafish fin. Dev Dyn. 2016;245:7-21 pubmed publisher..These results conceptually link ODDD to cohesinopathies and provide evidence that ESCO2 may play a transcriptional role critical for human development. ..
- Dyer C, Blanc E, Hanisch A, Roehl H, Otto G, Yu T, et al. A bi-modal function of Wnt signalling directs an FGF activity gradient to spatially regulate neuronal differentiation in the midbrain. Development. 2014;141:63-72 pubmed publisher..This controls a dynamic, posteriorly retracting expression of her5 that directs neuronal differentiation in a precise spatiotemporal manner in the midbrain...
- Lawton A, Nandi A, Stulberg M, Dray N, Sneddon M, Pontius W, et al. Regulated tissue fluidity steers zebrafish body elongation. Development. 2013;140:573-82 pubmed publisher..Modeling and additional data analyses suggest that the balance between the coherence and rate of cell flow determines whether body elongation is linear or whether congestion forms within the flow and the body axis becomes contorted. ..
- Kizil C, Kyritsis N, Dudczig S, Kroehne V, Freudenreich D, Kaslin J, et al. Regenerative neurogenesis from neural progenitor cells requires injury-induced expression of Gata3. Dev Cell. 2012;23:1230-7 pubmed publisher..Thus, gata3 acts as a specific injury-induced proregenerative factor that is essential for the regenerative capacity in vertebrates. ..
- Thorpe C, Weidinger G, Moon R. Wnt/beta-catenin regulation of the Sp1-related transcription factor sp5l promotes tail development in zebrafish. Development. 2005;132:1763-72 pubmed..These data place sp5l downstream of wnt3a and wnt8 in a Wnt/beta-catenin signaling pathway that controls tail development in zebrafish. ..
- Molina G, Vogt A, Bakan A, Dai W, Queiroz de Oliveira P, Znosko W, et al. Zebrafish chemical screening reveals an inhibitor of Dusp6 that expands cardiac cell lineages. Nat Chem Biol. 2009;5:680-7 pubmed publisher..This study highlights the power of in vivo zebrafish chemical screens to identify new compounds targeting Dusp6, a component of the FGF signaling pathway that has eluded traditional high-throughput in vitro screens...
- Yu S, Burkhardt M, Nowak M, Ries J, Petrášek Z, Scholpp S, et al. Fgf8 morphogen gradient forms by a source-sink mechanism with freely diffusing molecules. Nature. 2009;461:533-6 pubmed publisher..Our results demonstrate that a freely diffusing morphogen can set up concentration gradients in a complex multicellular tissue by a simple source-sink mechanism. ..
- Rhinn M, Lun K, Amores A, Yan Y, Postlethwait J, Brand M. Cloning, expression and relationship of zebrafish gbx1 and gbx2 genes to Fgf signaling. Mech Dev. 2003;120:919-36 pubmed..Moreover, our results provide an example for switching of a specific gene function of gbx1 versus gbx2 between orthologous genes in zebrafish and mammals. ..
- Padanad M, Bhat N, Guo B, Riley B. Conditions that influence the response to Fgf during otic placode induction. Dev Biol. 2012;364:1-10 pubmed publisher..These findings document the variables critically affecting the response to Fgf and clarify the roles of foxi1 and pax2/8 in the otic response. ..
- Kok F, Shepherd I, Sirotkin H. Churchill and Sip1a repress fibroblast growth factor signaling during zebrafish somitogenesis. Dev Dyn. 2010;239:548-58 pubmed publisher..Finally, we found that blocking FGF8 restores somite morphology in ChCh and Sip1a compromised embryos. These results demonstrate a novel role for ChCh and Sip1a in repression of FGF activity. ..
- Sanek N, Taylor A, Nyholm M, Grinblat Y. Zebrafish zic2a patterns the forebrain through modulation of Hedgehog-activated gene expression. Development. 2009;136:3791-800 pubmed publisher..These data uncover a novel, essential role for Zic2a as a modulator of Hh-activated gene expression in the developing forebrain and advance our understanding of a key gene regulatory network that, when disrupted, causes HPE. ..
- Li M, Page McCaw P, Chen W. FGF1 Mediates Overnutrition-Induced Compensatory Î²-Cell Differentiation. Diabetes. 2016;65:96-109 pubmed publisher..Thus, the recently discovered antidiabetes function of FGF1 may act partially through increasing Î²-cell differentiation. ..
- Goldshmit Y, Sztal T, Jusuf P, Hall T, Nguyen Chi M, Currie P. Fgf-dependent glial cell bridges facilitate spinal cord regeneration in zebrafish. J Neurosci. 2012;32:7477-92 pubmed publisher..This suggests that differential Fgf regulation, rather than intrinsic cell differences, underlie the distinct responses of mammalian and zebrafish glia to injury. ..
- Liao W, Cheng C, Hung K, Chiu W, Chen G, Hwang P, et al. Protein tyrosine phosphatase receptor type O (Ptpro) regulates cerebellar formation during zebrafish development through modulating Fgf signaling. Cell Mol Life Sci. 2013;70:2367-81 pubmed publisher..Therefore, our findings demonstrate that Ptpro activity is required for patterning the zebrafish embryonic brain. Specifically, Ptpro regulates cerebellar formation during zebrafish development through modulating Fgf signaling. ..
- Kumari P, Gilligan P, Lim S, Tran L, Winkler S, Philp R, et al. An essential role for maternal control of Nodal signaling. elife. 2013;2:e00683 pubmed publisher..Thus, Ybx1 prevents ectopic Nodal activity, revealing a new paradigm in the regulation of Nodal signaling, which is likely to be conserved. DOI:http://dx.doi.org/10.7554/eLife.00683.001. ..
- Dyer C, Blanc E, Stanley R, Knight R. Dissecting the role of Wnt signaling and its interactions with FGF signaling during midbrain neurogenesis. Neurogenesis (Austin). 2015;2:e1057313 pubmed publisher..function is complicated by an overlap with bcat-dependent regulation of FGF signaling, through the regulation of sprouty4. Additionally we reveal how attenuation of Axin protein function can promote fluctuating levels of bcat activity ..
- Mo S, Wang L, Li Q, Li J, Li Y, Thannickal V, et al. Caveolin-1 regulates dorsoventral patterning through direct interaction with beta-catenin in zebrafish. Dev Biol. 2010;344:210-23 pubmed publisher..Thus, maternally expressed zebrafish Cav-1 regulates dorsoventral patterning by limiting nuclear translocation of active beta-catenin. ..
- Kantarci H, Gerberding A, Riley B. Spemann organizer gene Goosecoid promotes delamination of neuroblasts from the otic vesicle. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2016;113:E6840-E6848 pubmed..These data resolve a genetic mechanism controlling delamination of otic neuroblasts. The data also elucidate a developmental role for Gsc consistent with a general function in promoting epithelial-to-mesenchymal transition (EMT). ..
- Foucher I, Mione M, Simeone A, Acampora D, Bally Cuif L, Houart C. Differentiation of cerebellar cell identities in absence of Fgf signalling in zebrafish Otx morphants. Development. 2006;133:1891-900 pubmed..This maintenance is enough to allow cerebellar differentiation. ..
- HernÃ¡ndez Bejarano M, Gestri G, Spawls L, Nieto LÃ³pez F, Picker A, Tada M, et al. Opposing Shh and Fgf signals initiate nasotemporal patterning of the zebrafish retina. Development. 2015;142:3933-42 pubmed publisher..Once the spatially complementary expression of foxd1 and foxg1 is established, the boundary between expression domains is maintained by mutual repression between Foxd1 and Foxg1. ..
- Hochmann S, Kaslin J, Hans S, Weber A, Machate A, Geffarth M, et al. Fgf signaling is required for photoreceptor maintenance in the adult zebrafish retina. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e30365 pubmed publisher..Ultimately, rod and cone photoreceptors are regenerated completely. Our study reveals the requirement of Fgf signaling to maintain photoreceptors and for proliferation during regeneration in the adult zebrafish retina. ..
- Stoick Cooper C, Weidinger G, Riehle K, Hubbert C, Major M, Fausto N, et al. Distinct Wnt signaling pathways have opposing roles in appendage regeneration. Development. 2007;134:479-89 pubmed..These data suggest that Wnt/beta-catenin signaling promotes regeneration, whereas a distinct pathway activated by wnt5b acts in a negative-feedback loop to limit regeneration. ..
- Lee S, Huang M, Obholzer N, Sun S, Li W, Petrillo M, et al. Myc and Fgf Are Required for Zebrafish Neuromast Hair Cell Regeneration. PLoS ONE. 2016;11:e0157768 pubmed publisher..Manipulation of c-MYC and FGF pathways could be explored for mammalian hair cell regeneration. ..
- Topp S, Stigloher C, Komisarczuk A, Adolf B, Becker T, Bally Cuif L. Fgf signaling in the zebrafish adult brain: association of Fgf activity with ventricular zones but not cell proliferation. J Comp Neurol. 2008;510:422-39 pubmed publisher..Together these results stress the importance of Fgf signaling in the adult brain and establish the basis to study its function in zebrafish, in particular in relation to adult neurogenesis. ..
- Yin J, Shine L, Raycroft F, Deeti S, Reynolds A, Ackerman K, et al. Inhibition of the Pim1 oncogene results in diminished visual function. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e52177 pubmed publisher..In summary, we have identified that enhanced expression of Jak-Stat pathway genes correlates with maturation of visual function and that the Pim1 oncogene is required for normal visual function. ..
- Wendl T, Adzic D, Schoenebeck J, Scholpp S, Brand M, Yelon D, et al. Early developmental specification of the thyroid gland depends on han-expressing surrounding tissue and on FGF signals. Development. 2007;134:2871-9 pubmed..FGF-soaked beads can restore thyroid development in han mutants, showing that FGFs act downstream of or in parallel to han. These data suggest that loss of FGF-expressing tissue in han mutants is responsible for the thyroid defects. ..
- Lee Y, Hami D, De Val S, Kagermeier Schenk B, Wills A, Black B, et al. Maintenance of blastemal proliferation by functionally diverse epidermis in regenerating zebrafish fins. Dev Biol. 2009;331:270-80 pubmed publisher..Thus, the fin wound epidermis spatially confines Hh signaling through the activity of Fgf and Wnt pathways, impacting blastemal proliferation during regenerative outgrowth. ..
- Nguyen T, Tran V, Sorna V, Eriksson I, Kojima A, Koketsu M, et al. Dimerized glycosaminoglycan chains increase FGF signaling during zebrafish development. ACS Chem Biol. 2013;8:939-48 pubmed publisher..observation, elongation can be reversed by the tyrosine kinase inhibitor SU5402, mRNA for the FGFR antagonist sprouty4, or FGF8 morpholino...
- de Pater E, Clijsters L, Marques S, Lin Y, Garavito Aguilar Z, Yelon D, et al. Distinct phases of cardiomyocyte differentiation regulate growth of the zebrafish heart. Development. 2009;136:1633-41 pubmed publisher..Together, our data support a model in which modified regulation of these distinct phases of cardiomyocyte differentiation has been responsible for the changes in heart size and morphology among vertebrate species. ..
- Asai Y, Chan D, Starr C, Kappler J, Kollmar R, Hudspeth A. Mutation of the atrophin2 gene in the zebrafish disrupts signaling by fibroblast growth factor during development of the inner ear. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2006;103:9069-74 pubmed..The resultant imbalance of Fgf8 and Sef signals then underlies the abnormal aural development observed in ru622. ..
- Poulain M, Fürthauer M, Thisse B, Thisse C, Lepage T. Zebrafish endoderm formation is regulated by combinatorial Nodal, FGF and BMP signalling. Development. 2006;133:2189-200 pubmed..These results identify a molecular mechanism whereby FGF attenuates Nodal-induced endodermal transcription factors and highlight a potential mechanism whereby mesoderm and endoderm fates could segregate from each other. ..
- Esterberg R, Fritz A. dlx3b/4b are required for the formation of the preplacodal region and otic placode through local modulation of BMP activity. Dev Biol. 2009;325:189-99 pubmed publisher..Our results provide insight into the mechanisms of PPR specification as well as the role of dlx3b/4b function in PPR and otic placode induction. ..
- Solomon K, Kwak S, Fritz A. Genetic interactions underlying otic placode induction and formation. Dev Dyn. 2004;230:419-33 pubmed..The observed genetic interactions suggest a model in which foxi1 and dlx3b/dlx4b act in independent pathways together with distinct phases of FGF signaling to promote otic placode induction and development. ..
- Nguyen Chi M, Bryson Richardson R, Sonntag C, Hall T, Gibson A, Sztal T, et al. Morphogenesis and cell fate determination within the adaxial cell equivalence group of the zebrafish myotome. PLoS Genet. 2012;8:e1003014 pubmed publisher..Thus our results reveal that the synergistic actions of HH, FGF, and BMP signaling independently create a three-dimensional (3D) signaling milieu that coordinates cell fate within the adaxial cell equivalence group. ..
- Kai M, Heisenberg C, Tada M. Sphingosine-1-phosphate receptors regulate individual cell behaviours underlying the directed migration of prechordal plate progenitor cells during zebrafish gastrulation. Development. 2008;135:3043-51 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that the net migration of prechordal plate progenitors is determined by different parameters, including motility, persistence and coherence. ..
- Flowers G, Topczewska J, Topczewski J. A zebrafish Notum homolog specifically blocks the Wnt/?-catenin signaling pathway. Development. 2012;139:2416-25 pubmed publisher..Notum 1a does not interact with Glypican 4, an essential component of the Wnt/planar cell polarity (PCP) pathway. Our results suggest a surprising specific role of Notum in the developing vertebrate embryo. ..
- Rhinn M, Lun K, Luz M, Werner M, Brand M. Positioning of the midbrain-hindbrain boundary organizer through global posteriorization of the neuroectoderm mediated by Wnt8 signaling. Development. 2005;132:1261-72 pubmed..Our findings argue that graded Wnt8 activity mediates overall neuroectodermal posteriorization and thus determines the location of the MHB organizer. ..
- Scholpp S, Brand M. Endocytosis controls spreading and effective signaling range of Fgf8 protein. Curr Biol. 2004;14:1834-41 pubmed