Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: spp1
Description: secreted phosphoprotein 1
Alias: zgc:111821, spp1 protein, osteopontin
- Hui S, Sengupta D, Lee S, Sen T, Kundu S, Mathavan S, et al. Genome wide expression profiling during spinal cord regeneration identifies comprehensive cellular responses in zebrafish. PLoS ONE. 2014;9:e84212 pubmed publisher..The data highlights the importance of different event specific gene expression that could be better understood and manipulated further to induce successful regeneration in mammals...
- Banjo T, Grajcarek J, Yoshino D, Osada H, Miyasaka K, Kida Y, et al. Haemodynamically dependent valvulogenesis of zebrafish heart is mediated by flow-dependent expression of miR-21. Nat Commun. 2013;4:1978 pubmed publisher..We conclude that miR-21 is a central component of a flow-controlled mechanotransduction system in a physicogenetic regulatory loop. ..
- Kague E, Roy P, Asselin G, Hu G, Simonet J, Stanley A, et al. Osterix/Sp7 limits cranial bone initiation sites and is required for formation of sutures. Dev Biol. 2016;413:160-72 pubmed publisher..The delay in bone maturation caused by loss of Sp7 leads to unregulated bone formation, revealing a new mechanism for patterning the skull and sutures. ..
- Niu N, Shao R, Yan G, Zou W. Bromodomain and Extra-terminal (BET) Protein Inhibitors Suppress Chondrocyte Differentiation and Restrain Bone Growth. J Biol Chem. 2016;291:26647-26657 pubmed publisher..Collectively, these results suggest that BET bromodomain inhibition may have side effects on skeletal bone structures. ..
- Torregroza I, Holtzinger A, Mendelson K, Liu T, Hla T, Evans T. Regulation of a vascular plexus by gata4 is mediated in zebrafish through the chemokine sdf1a. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e46844 pubmed publisher..Our study shows that the gata4 gene regulates sdf1a levels during early embryogenesis, which impacts embryonic patterning and subsequently the development of the caudal vascular plexus. ..
- Just S, Hirth S, Berger I, Fishman M, Rottbauer W. The mediator complex subunit Med10 regulates heart valve formation in zebrafish by controlling Tbx2b-mediated Has2 expression and cardiac jelly formation. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2016;477:581-588 pubmed publisher..We propose here a rather unique role of Med10 in orchestrating cardiac valve formation by mediating Foxn4 dependent tbx2b transcription, expression of Has2 and subsequently proper development of the cardiac jelly. ..
- Chiba A, Watanabe Takano H, Terai K, Fukui H, Miyazaki T, Uemura M, et al. Osteocrin, a peptide secreted from the heart and other tissues, contributes to cranial osteogenesis and chondrogenesis in zebrafish. Development. 2017;144:334-344 pubmed publisher..These data demonstrate that Ostn secreted from the heart contributes to bone formation as an endocrine hormone. ..
- Laue K, Pogoda H, Daniel P, van Haeringen A, Alanay Y, von Ameln S, et al. Craniosynostosis and multiple skeletal anomalies in humans and zebrafish result from a defect in the localized degradation of retinoic acid. Am J Hum Genet. 2011;89:595-606 pubmed publisher..This work reveals a physiological role for RA in partitioning skeletal elements and in the maintenance of cranial suture patency. ..
- Haga Y, Dominique V, Du S. Analyzing notochord segmentation and intervertebral disc formation using the twhh:gfp transgenic zebrafish model. Transgenic Res. 2009;18:669-83 pubmed publisher..These studies demonstrate that the twhh:gfp transgenic zebrafish is a useful model for studying vertebral segmentation and disc formation, and moreover, that RA signaling may play a role in this process...
- Laue K, Janicke M, Plaster N, Sonntag C, Hammerschmidt M. Restriction of retinoic acid activity by Cyp26b1 is required for proper timing and patterning of osteogenesis during zebrafish development. Development. 2008;135:3775-87 pubmed publisher..cyp26b1 mutants may serve as a model to study the etiology of human vertebral disorders such as Klippel-Feil anomaly. ..
- Wiweger M, de Andrea C, Scheepstra K, Zhao Z, Hogendoorn P. Possible effects of EXT2 on mesenchymal differentiation--lessons from the zebrafish. Orphanet J Rare Dis. 2014;9:35 pubmed publisher..Our observations in the ext2-null fish might explain the musculoskeletal defects that are often observed in MO patients. ..
- Zancan I, Bellesso S, Costa R, Salvalaio M, Stroppiano M, Hammond C, et al. Glucocerebrosidase deficiency in zebrafish affects primary bone ossification through increased oxidative stress and reduced Wnt/Î²-catenin signaling. Hum Mol Genet. 2015;24:1280-94 pubmed publisher..Our results support a novel model in which a primary defect in canonical Wnt signaling antecedes bone defects in type 1 GD. ..
- Lin Q, Fan S, Zhang Y, Xu M, Zhang H, Yang Y, et al. The seahorse genome and the evolution of its specialized morphology. Nature. 2016;540:395-399 pubmed publisher..tbx4, a regulator of hindlimb development, is also not found in H. comes genome. Knockout of tbx4 in zebrafish showed a 'pelvic fin-loss' phenotype similar to that of seahorses. ..
- Fraher D, Hodge J, Collier F, McMillan J, Kennedy R, Ellis M, et al. Citalopram and sertraline exposure compromises embryonic bone development. Mol Psychiatry. 2016;21:656-64 pubmed publisher..activity that was associated with a decrease in expression of the osteoblast-specific genes Runx2, Sparc and Spp1, measured with quantitative real-time PCR (qRT-PCR)...
- Chen I, Wang H, Hsieh Y, Huang W, Yeh H, Chuang Y. PRSS23 is essential for the Snail-dependent endothelial-to-mesenchymal transition during valvulogenesis in zebrafish. Cardiovasc Res. 2013;97:443-53 pubmed publisher..We demonstrated for the first time that the initiation of EndoMT in valvulogenesis depends on PRSS23-Snail signalling and that the functional role of PRSS23 during AV valve formation is evolutionarily conserved. ..
- AshaRani P, Keupp K, Semler O, Wang W, Li Y, Thiele H, et al. Attenuated BMP1 function compromises osteogenesis, leading to bone fragility in humans and zebrafish. Am J Hum Genet. 2012;90:661-74 pubmed publisher..We thus define the molecular and cellular bases of BMP1-dependent osteogenesis and show the importance of this protein for bone formation and stability. ..
- Just S, Berger I, Meder B, Backs J, Keller A, Marquart S, et al. Protein kinase D2 controls cardiac valve formation in zebrafish by regulating histone deacetylase 5 activity. Circulation. 2011;124:324-34 pubmed publisher..We demonstrate for the first time that proper heart valve formation critically depends on Protein kinase D2-Histone deacetylase 5-Krüppel-like factor signaling. ..
- Kolpa H, Peal D, Lynch S, Giokas A, Ghatak S, Misra S, et al. miR-21 represses Pdcd4 during cardiac valvulogenesis. Development. 2013;140:2172-80 pubmed publisher..PDCD4 knockdown alone was sufficient to enhance endothelial cell migration. These results demonstrate that miR-21 plays a necessary role in cardiac valvulogenesis, in large part due to an obligatory downregulation of PDCD4. ..
- Chen B, Yan Y, Liu C, Bo L, Li G, Wang H, et al. Therapeutic effect of deferoxamine on iron overload-induced inhibition of osteogenesis in a zebrafish model. Calcif Tissue Int. 2014;94:353-60 pubmed publisher..bone formation, accompanied by decreased expression of osteoblast-specific genes (runx2a, runx2b, osteocalcin, osteopontin, ALP, and collagen type I)...
- Huang H, Jin T, He J, Ding Q, Xu D, Wang L, et al. Progesterone and adipoQ receptor 11 links ras signaling to cardiac development in zebrafish. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2012;32:2158-70 pubmed publisher..This study not only provides in vivo evidence that PAQR11 plays a critical role in heart morphogenesis but also pinpoints the importance of compartmentalized Ras signaling during development. ..
- Kawasaki K. The SCPP gene repertoire in bony vertebrates and graded differences in mineralized tissues. Dev Genes Evol. 2009;219:147-57 pubmed publisher..These results show graded differences in mineralized dental tissues and reinforce the hypothesis that bone-dentin-enameloid-enamel constitutes an evolutionary continuum...
- Topczewska J, Shoela R, Tomaszewski J, Mirmira R, Gosain A. The Morphogenesis of Cranial Sutures in Zebrafish. PLoS ONE. 2016;11:e0165775 pubmed publisher..bglap/osteocalcin, fgfr1a, fgfr1b, fgfr2, fgfr3, foxq1, twist2, twist3, runx2a, runx2b, sp7/osterix, and spp1/ osteopontin, indicating that the expression of genes involved in suture development in mammals is preserved in zebrafish...
- Hong Y, Choi Y, Myung K, Choi H. The Immunohistochemical Patterns of Calcification-related Molecules in the Epidermis and Dermis of the Zebrafish (Danio rerio). Ann Dermatol. 2011;23:299-303 pubmed publisher..several immunohistochemical markers, including bone morphogenetic protein 4 (BMP-4), ?-catenin, osteocalcin, osteopontin and osteonectin...
- Durst R, Sauls K, Peal D, deVlaming A, Toomer K, Leyne M, et al. Mutations in DCHS1 cause mitral valve prolapse. Nature. 2015;525:109-13 pubmed publisher..Understanding the role of DCHS1 in mitral valve development and MVP pathogenesis holds potential for therapeutic insights for this very common disease. ..
- de Vrieze E, van Kessel M, Peters H, Spanings F, Flik G, Metz J. Prednisolone induces osteoporosis-like phenotype in regenerating zebrafish scales. Osteoporos Int. 2014;25:567-78 pubmed publisher..An unsurpassed convenience and low cost then make the zebrafish scale a superior model for preclinical studies in osteoporosis research. ..