Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: sp7
Description: Sp7 transcription factor
Alias: osterix, osx, transcription factor Sp7, transcription factor osterix
- Sousa S, Afonso N, Bensimon Brito A, Fonseca M, Simoes M, Leon J, et al. Differentiated skeletal cells contribute to blastema formation during zebrafish fin regeneration. Development. 2011;138:3897-905 pubmed publisher..These findings provide novel insights into the origin of cells in epimorphic appendage regeneration in zebrafish and suggest conservation of regeneration mechanisms between fish and amphibians. ..
- Clément A, Wiweger M, von der Hardt S, Rusch M, Selleck S, Chien C, et al. Regulation of zebrafish skeletogenesis by ext2/dackel and papst1/pinscher. PLoS Genet. 2008;4:e1000136 pubmed publisher..In contrast, pic(-/-) chondrocytes always act autonomously and can disrupt the morphology of neighbouring wild-type cells. These findings lead to the development of a new model to explain the aetiology of HME. ..
- Green J, Taylor J, Hindes A, Johnson S, Goldsmith M. A gain of function mutation causing skeletal overgrowth in the rapunzel mutant. Dev Biol. 2009;334:224-34 pubmed publisher..This report provides the first gene identification for a mutation affecting segment number in the zebrafish fin and development of both the fin ray (dermal) and the axial skeleton. ..
- de Vrieze E, Zethof J, Schulte Merker S, Flik G, Metz J. Identification of novel osteogenic compounds by an ex-vivo sp7:luciferase zebrafish scale assay. Bone. 2015;74:106-13 pubmed publisher..sensitive, and quantifiable readout converging the effects via various pathways including WNT-signaling, to SP7/osterix promoter activity...
- de Vrieze E, van Kessel M, Peters H, Spanings F, Flik G, Metz J. Prednisolone induces osteoporosis-like phenotype in regenerating zebrafish scales. Osteoporos Int. 2014;25:567-78 pubmed publisher..An unsurpassed convenience and low cost then make the zebrafish scale a superior model for preclinical studies in osteoporosis research. ..
- Fraher D, Hodge J, Collier F, McMillan J, Kennedy R, Ellis M, et al. Citalopram and sertraline exposure compromises embryonic bone development. Mol Psychiatry. 2016;21:656-64 pubmed publisher..These results highlight the need to further investigate the risks of SSRI use during pregnancy in exposing unborn babies to potential skeletal abnormalities. ..
- Chang C, Franz Odendaal T. Perturbing the developing skull: using laser ablation to investigate the robustness of the infraorbital bones in zebrafish (Danio rerio). BMC Dev Biol. 2014;14:44 pubmed publisher..The mechanisms underlying developmental robustness are rarely investigated and are important to increase our understanding of evolutionary developmental biology of the vertebrate skull. ..
- Uemura M, Nagasawa A, Terai K. Yap/Taz transcriptional activity in endothelial cells promotes intramembranous ossification via the BMP pathway. Sci Rep. 2016;6:27473 pubmed publisher..Our results provide novel insight into the relationship between blood flow and ossification by demonstrating intertissue regulation. ..
- AshaRani P, Keupp K, Semler O, Wang W, Li Y, Thiele H, et al. Attenuated BMP1 function compromises osteogenesis, leading to bone fragility in humans and zebrafish. Am J Hum Genet. 2012;90:661-74 pubmed publisher..We thus define the molecular and cellular bases of BMP1-dependent osteogenesis and show the importance of this protein for bone formation and stability. ..
- Chiba A, Watanabe Takano H, Terai K, Fukui H, Miyazaki T, Uemura M, et al. Osteocrin, a peptide secreted from the heart and other tissues, contributes to cranial osteogenesis and chondrogenesis in zebrafish. Development. 2017;144:334-344 pubmed publisher..These data demonstrate that Ostn secreted from the heart contributes to bone formation as an endocrine hormone. ..
- Kague E, Roy P, Asselin G, Hu G, Simonet J, Stanley A, et al. Osterix/Sp7 limits cranial bone initiation sites and is required for formation of sutures. Dev Biol. 2016;413:160-72 pubmed publisher..We describe a zebrafish mutation in osterix/sp7, which causes a generalized delay in osteoblast maturation...
- Cheah F, Winkler C, Jabs E, Chong S. Tgfbeta3 regulation of chondrogenesis and osteogenesis in zebrafish is mediated through formation and survival of a subpopulation of the cranial neural crest. Mech Dev. 2010;127:329-44 pubmed publisher..Therefore, proper cranial neural crest formation and survival, and ultimately craniofacial chondrogenesis and osteogenesis, are dependent on tight regulation of Tgfbeta3 protein levels in zebrafish...
- Gioia R, Tonelli F, Ceppi I, Biggiogera M, Leikin S, Fisher S, et al. The chaperone activity of 4PBA ameliorates the skeletal phenotype of Chihuahua, a zebrafish model for dominant osteogenesis imperfecta. Hum Mol Genet. 2017;26:2897-2911 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, our data demonstrated that ER stress is a novel target to ameliorate OI phenotype; chemical chaperones such as 4PBA may be, alone or in combination, a new class of molecules to be further investigated for OI treatment. ..
- Park C, Kim H, Kim D, Han H, Noh H, Jang J, et al. Ginsenoside Re Inhibits Osteoclast Differentiation in Mouse Bone Marrow-Derived Macrophages and Zebrafish Scale Model. Mol Cells. 2016;39:855-861 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest that both aqueous ginseng extract and ginsenoside Re prevent bone resorption by inhibiting osteoclast differentiation. Ginsenoside Re could be important for promoting bone health. ..
- Jiang Y, Yan Y, Wang X, Zhu G, Xu Y. Hepcidin inhibition on the effect of osteogenesis in zebrafish. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2016;476:1-6 pubmed publisher..Quantitative real-time PCR analyses revealed the osteoblast-specific genes alp, runx2a, runx2b, and sp7 in morphants are down-regulated...
- Kague E, Witten P, Soenens M, Campos C, Lubiana T, Fisher S, et al. Zebrafish sp7 mutants show tooth cycling independent of attachment, eruption and poor differentiation of teeth. Dev Biol. 2018;435:176-184 pubmed publisher..The transcription factor sp7 (osterix) is known in mammals to play an important role during odontoblast differentiation and root ..
- Maradonna F, Gioacchini G, Falcinelli S, Bertotto D, Radaelli G, Olivotto I, et al. Probiotic supplementation promotes calcification in Danio rerio larvae: a molecular study. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e83155 pubmed publisher..g. runt-related transcription factor 2 (runx2), Sp7 transcription factor (sp7), matrix Gla protein (mgp), and bone gamma-carboxyglutamate (gla) protein (bglap) as well ..
- Huycke T, Eames B, Kimmel C. Hedgehog-dependent proliferation drives modular growth during morphogenesis of a dermal bone. Development. 2012;139:2371-80 pubmed publisher..Hence, patterning within a module may include adjacent regions of functionally related bones and might require that signaling pathways function over an extended period of development. ..
- de Vrieze E, Moren M, Metz J, Flik G, Lie K. Arachidonic acid enhances turnover of the dermal skeleton: studies on zebrafish scales. PLoS ONE. 2014;9:e89347 pubmed publisher..The zebrafish scale is an excellent model to study how and which fatty acids affect skeletal formation...
- Felber K, Croucher P, Roehl H. Hedgehog signalling is required for perichondral osteoblast differentiation in zebrafish. Mech Dev. 2011;128:141-52 pubmed publisher..This result may point to subtle differences between the development of the skeleton in the skull and limb. ..
- Luo S, Chen J, Zhong Z, Lv X, Yang Y, Zhang J, et al. Salvianolic acid B stimulates osteogenesis in dexamethasone-treated zebrafish larvae. Acta Pharmacol Sin. 2016;37:1370-1380 pubmed publisher..the expression of osteoblast-specific genes, including runx2a, osteocalcin (OC), alkaline phosphatase (ALP) and osterix (sp7), and increased the accumulation of ROS and MDA in the larvae. Co-exposure to Sal B (0...
- Macaulay L, Chernick M, Chen A, Hinton D, Bailey J, Kullman S, et al. Exposure to a PBDE/OH-BDE mixture alters juvenile zebrafish (Danio rerio) development. Environ Toxicol Chem. 2017;36:36-48 pubmed publisher..Overall, these results indicate that exposures to PBDE/OH-BDE mixtures adversely impact zebrafish maturation during metamorphosis. Environ Toxicol Chem 2017;36:36-48. Â© 2016 SETAC. ..
- Flanagan Steet H, Aarnio M, Kwan B, Guihard P, Petrey A, Haskins M, et al. Cathepsin-Mediated Alterations in TGFÃŸ-Related Signaling Underlie Disrupted Cartilage and Bone Maturation Associated With Impaired Lysosomal Targeting. J Bone Miner Res. 2016;31:535-48 pubmed publisher..These findings highlight the complexity of the skeletal disease associated with MLII and bring new insight to the role of secreted cathepsin proteases in cartilage development and growth factor regulation. ..
- Stewart S, Gomez A, Armstrong B, Henner A, Stankunas K. Sequential and opposing activities of Wnt and BMP coordinate zebrafish bone regeneration. Cell Rep. 2014;6:482-98 pubmed publisher..As they become proximally displaced, preosteoblasts upregulate sp7 and subsequently mature into re-epithelialized Runx2(-)/sp7(+) osteoblasts that extend preexisting bone...
- Topczewska J, Shoela R, Tomaszewski J, Mirmira R, Gosain A. The Morphogenesis of Cranial Sutures in Zebrafish. PLoS ONE. 2016;11:e0165775 pubmed publisher..col2a1a, col10a1, bglap/osteocalcin, fgfr1a, fgfr1b, fgfr2, fgfr3, foxq1, twist2, twist3, runx2a, runx2b, sp7/osterix, and spp1/ osteopontin, indicating that the expression of genes involved in suture development in mammals is ..
- Wiweger M, de Andrea C, Scheepstra K, Zhao Z, Hogendoorn P. Possible effects of EXT2 on mesenchymal differentiation--lessons from the zebrafish. Orphanet J Rare Dis. 2014;9:35 pubmed publisher..These changes coexist with misshapen bones. Normal expression of runx2 together with impaired expression of osterix and its master regulator--xbp1 suggest that unfolded protein responses might play a role in MO pathogenesis...
- Carnovali M, Ottria R, Pasqualetti S, Banfi G, Ciuffreda P, Mariotti M. Effects of bioactive fatty acid amide derivatives in zebrafish scale model of bone metabolism and disease. Pharmacol Res. 2016;104:1-8 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that long-chain fatty acid amides are involved in regulating bone metabolism in zebrafish scales and that the CB2 receptor is a key mediator in this process. ..
- Laue K, Janicke M, Plaster N, Sonntag C, Hammerschmidt M. Restriction of retinoic acid activity by Cyp26b1 is required for proper timing and patterning of osteogenesis during zebrafish development. Development. 2008;135:3775-87 pubmed publisher..cyp26b1 mutants may serve as a model to study the etiology of human vertebral disorders such as Klippel-Feil anomaly. ..
- DeLaurier A, Huycke T, Nichols J, Swartz M, Larsen A, Walker C, et al. Role of mef2ca in developmental buffering of the zebrafish larval hyoid dermal skeleton. Dev Biol. 2014;385:189-99 pubmed publisher..Hence, steps along the developmental trajectory appear differentially sensitive to the loss of buffering, providing focus for the future study. ..
- Wada H, Iwasaki M, Kawakami K. Development of the lateral line canal system through a bone remodeling process in zebrafish. Dev Biol. 2014;392:1-14 pubmed publisher..Moreover, we found that lateral line cells are required for the formation of canals, suggesting the existence of mutual interactions between the sensory system and surrounding connective tissues. ..
- Vanoevelen J, Janssens A, Huitema L, Hammond C, Metz J, Flik G, et al. Trpv5/6 is vital for epithelial calcium uptake and bone formation. FASEB J. 2011;25:3197-207 pubmed publisher..Taken together, this study provides both genetic and functional evidence that transcellular epithelial calcium uptake is vital to sustain life and enable bone formation. ..
- Ando K, Shibata E, Hans S, Brand M, Kawakami A. Osteoblast Production by Reserved Progenitor Cells in Zebrafish Bone Regeneration and Maintenance. Dev Cell. 2017;43:643-650.e3 pubmed publisher..Our findings reveal that reserved progenitors are a significant and complementary source of osteoblasts for zebrafish bone regeneration. ..
- Armstrong B, Henner A, Stewart S, Stankunas K. Shh promotes direct interactions between epidermal cells and osteoblast progenitors to shape regenerated zebrafish bone. Development. 2017;144:1165-1176 pubmed publisher..Progressively separated pObs pools then continue regenerating independently to collectively re-form a now branched skeletal structure. ..
- Paul S, Schindler S, Giovannone D, de Millo Terrazzani A, Mariani F, Crump J. Ihha induces hybrid cartilage-bone cells during zebrafish jawbone regeneration. Development. 2016;143:2066-76 pubmed publisher..We also identify the likely source of repair chondrocytes as a population of Runx2(+)/Sp7(-) cells that emanate from the periosteum, a tissue that normally contributes only osteoblasts during homeostasis...
- Huitema L, Apschner A, Logister I, Spoorendonk K, Bussmann J, Hammond C, et al. Entpd5 is essential for skeletal mineralization and regulates phosphate homeostasis in zebrafish. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2012;109:21372-7 pubmed publisher..Our study demonstrates that Entpd5 represents a previously unappreciated essential player in phosphate homeostasis and skeletal mineralization...
- Carvalho F, Fernandes A, Cancela M, Gavaia P. Improved regeneration and de novo bone formation in a diabetic zebrafish model treated with paricalcitol and cinacalcet. Wound Repair Regen. 2017;25:432-442 pubmed publisher..acid-containing protein (bglap), insulin a (insa) and insulin b (insb) and a trend of increase for sp7 transcription factor (sp7) in diabetic groups treated with cinacalcet and paricalcitol...
- Suarez Bregua P, Saxena A, Bronner M, Rotllant J. Targeted Pth4-expressing cell ablation impairs skeletal mineralization in zebrafish. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0186444 pubmed publisher..homeostasis and mineralization, as well as a delay in the expression of osteoblast differentiation markers such as sp7 and sparc...
- Nichols J, Blanco Sanchez B, Brooks E, Parthasarathy R, Dowd J, Subramanian A, et al. Ligament versus bone cell identity in the zebrafish hyoid skeleton is regulated by mef2ca. Development. 2016;143:4430-4440 pubmed..We propose that variable transposon epigenetic silencing underlies the variable mef2ca mutant bone phenotype, and could be a widespread mechanism of phenotypic variability in animals. ..
- Yu T, Graf M, Renn J, Schartl M, Larionova D, Huysseune A, et al. A vertebrate-specific and essential role for osterix in osteogenesis revealed by gene knockout in the teleost medaka. Development. 2017;144:265-271 pubmed publisherb>osterix (osx; sp7) encodes a zinc-finger transcription factor that controls osteoblast differentiation in mammals. Although identified in all vertebrate lineages, its role in non-mammalian bone formation remains elusive...
- Felber K, Elks P, Lecca M, Roehl H. Expression of osterix Is Regulated by FGF and Wnt/Î²-Catenin Signalling during Osteoblast Differentiation. PLoS ONE. 2015;10:e0144982 pubmed publisher..pathways act at the same stage of differentiation to initiate expression of the osteoblast master regulatory gene osterix (osx). We use two independent approaches that suggest that osx is a direct target of these pathways...
- Tornini V, Puliafito A, Slota L, Thompson J, Nachtrab G, Kaushik A, et al. Live Monitoring of Blastemal Cell Contributions during Appendage Regeneration. Curr Biol. 2016;26:2981-2991 pubmed publisher..Our longitudinal clonal analyses of regenerating zebrafish fins provide evidence that connective tissue progenitors are rapidly organized into a scalable blueprint of lost structures. ..
- Sousa S, Valerio F, Jacinto A. A new zebrafish bone crush injury model. Biol Open. 2012;1:915-21 pubmed publisher..Therefore, the new model that we present here may help to identify the key processes that regulate bone fracture and contribute to improve bone repair in humans. ..