Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: sox9a
Description: SRY (sex determining region Y)-box 9a
Alias: jef, wu:fj17b12, zgc:111921, transcription factor SOX-9, SRY-box containing gene 9a, jellyfish
- Sperber S, Saxena V, Hatch G, Ekker M. Zebrafish dlx2a contributes to hindbrain neural crest survival, is necessary for differentiation of sensory ganglia and functions with dlx1a in maturation of the arch cartilage elements. Dev Biol. 2008;314:59-70 pubmed..Knockdown of dlx2a affects migrating neural crest cells as evidenced by reduced expression of crestin, and sox9a transcripts, in addition to increased levels of apoptosis...
- Plaster N, Sonntag C, Busse C, Hammerschmidt M. p53 deficiency rescues apoptosis and differentiation of multiple cell types in zebrafish flathead mutants deficient for zygotic DNA polymerase delta1. Cell Death Differ. 2006;13:223-35 pubmed..This indicates that under replication-compromised conditions, the p53 branch of the S-phase checkpoint is responsible for eliminating stalled cells that, given more time, would have otherwise finished their normal developmental program. ..
- Von Hofsten J, Olsson P. Zebrafish sex determination and differentiation: involvement of FTZ-F1 genes. Reprod Biol Endocrinol. 2005;3:63 pubmed..The role of FTZ-F1 and other candidates for zebrafish sex determination and differentiation is in focus of this review. ..
- Knight R, Javidan Y, Zhang T, Nelson S, Schilling T. AP2-dependent signals from the ectoderm regulate craniofacial development in the zebrafish embryo. Development. 2005;132:3127-38 pubmed
- Sperber S, Dawid I. barx1 is necessary for ectomesenchyme proliferation and osteochondroprogenitor condensation in the zebrafish pharyngeal arches. Dev Biol. 2008;321:101-10 pubmed publisher..Together, these results indicate an essential role for barx1 at early stages of chondrogenesis within the developing zebrafish viscerocranium. ..
- Siegfried K, NUSSLEIN VOLHARD C. Germ line control of female sex determination in zebrafish. Dev Biol. 2008;324:277-87 pubmed publisher..animals the expression of the ovary specific gene cyp19a1a fails to be maintained whereas the testis genes sox9a and amh remain expressed...
- Hans S, Liu D, Westerfield M. Pax8 and Pax2a function synergistically in otic specification, downstream of the Foxi1 and Dlx3b transcription factors. Development. 2004;131:5091-102 pubmed..Combined loss of both factors eliminates all indications of otic specification. We suggest that the Foxi1-Pax8 pathway provides an early 'jumpstart' of otic specification that is maintained by the Dlx3b-Pax2a pathway. ..
- Yan Y, Miller C, Nissen R, Singer A, Liu D, Kirn A, et al. A zebrafish sox9 gene required for cartilage morphogenesis. Development. 2002;129:5065-79 pubmed..Zebrafish embryos homozygous for jellyfish (jef) mutations show craniofacial defects and lack cartilage elements of the neurocranium, pharyngeal arches, ..
- Liu D, Chu H, Maves L, Yan Y, Morcos P, Postlethwait J, et al. Fgf3 and Fgf8 dependent and independent transcription factors are required for otic placode specification. Development. 2003;130:2213-24 pubmed..Removal of dlx3b, dlx4b and sox9a genes together also blocks ear development, although a few residual cells form an otic epithelium...
- Wada N, Javidan Y, Nelson S, Carney T, Kelsh R, Schilling T. Hedgehog signaling is required for cranial neural crest morphogenesis and chondrogenesis at the midline in the zebrafish skull. Development. 2005;132:3977-88 pubmed
- Clément A, Wiweger M, von der Hardt S, Rusch M, Selleck S, Chien C, et al. Regulation of zebrafish skeletogenesis by ext2/dackel and papst1/pinscher. PLoS Genet. 2008;4:e1000136 pubmed publisher..In contrast, pic(-/-) chondrocytes always act autonomously and can disrupt the morphology of neighbouring wild-type cells. These findings lead to the development of a new model to explain the aetiology of HME. ..
- Lang M, Lapierre L, Frotscher M, Goldenring J, Knapik E. Secretory COPII coat component Sec23a is essential for craniofacial chondrocyte maturation. Nat Genet. 2006;38:1198-203 pubmed..As SEC23A lesions cause the cranio-lenticulo-sutural dysplasia syndrome, crusher provides the first vertebrate model system that links the biology of endoplasmic reticulum to Golgi trafficking with a clinically relevant dysmorphology. ..
- Talbot J, Johnson S, Kimmel C. hand2 and Dlx genes specify dorsal, intermediate and ventral domains within zebrafish pharyngeal arches. Development. 2010;137:2507-17 pubmed publisher..Collectively, our work indicates that the expression and function of hand2 and Dlx genes specify major patterning domains along the dorsoventral axis of zebrafish pharyngeal arches...
- Kl ver N, Kondo M, Herpin A, Mitani H, Schartl M. Divergent expression patterns of Sox9 duplicates in teleosts indicate a lineage specific subfunctionalization. Dev Genes Evol. 2005;215:297-305 pubmed publisher..analysis, phylogenetic data, linkage mapping as well as expression pattern all together suggest that the medaka Sox9a and Sox9b are co-orthologs...
- van Eeden F, Granato M, Schach U, Brand M, Furutani Seiki M, Haffter P, et al. Genetic analysis of fin formation in the zebrafish, Danio rerio. Development. 1996;123:255-62 pubmed..Stein und bein (sub) has reduced dorsal and pelvic fins, whereas finless (fls) and wanda (wan) mutants affect all adult fins. Finally, mutations in four genes causing defects in embryonic skin formation will be briefly reported. ..
- Yan Y, Willoughby J, Liu D, Crump J, Wilson C, Miller C, et al. A pair of Sox: distinct and overlapping functions of zebrafish sox9 co-orthologs in craniofacial and pectoral fin development. Development. 2005;132:1069-83 pubmed..to isolate a mutation deleting sox9b function, and investigated its phenotype and genetic interactions with a sox9a null mutation...
- Eames B, Singer A, Smith G, Wood Z, Yan Y, He X, et al. UDP xylose synthase 1 is required for morphogenesis and histogenesis of the craniofacial skeleton. Dev Biol. 2010;341:400-15 pubmed publisher..Up-regulation of sox9a, sox9b, and runx2b in mutants suggested a molecular mechanism consistent with a role for proteoglycans in ..
- Nakamoto M, Suzuki A, Matsuda M, Nagahama Y, Shibata N. Testicular type Sox9 is not involved in sex determination but might be in the development of testicular structures in the medaka, Oryzias latipes. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2005;333:729-36 pubmed publisher..analysis revealed that both our isolated Sox9 and the already reportedly cloned medaka Sox9 belongs zebrafish Sox9a branch. Therefore, we named our gene Sox9a2...
- Rau M, Fischer S, Neumann C. Zebrafish Trap230/Med12 is required as a coactivator for Sox9-dependent neural crest, cartilage and ear development. Dev Biol. 2006;296:83-93 pubmed..In zebrafish, there are two Sox9 orthologs, Sox9a and Sox9b, which together perform the functions of the single-copy tetrapod Sox9...
- Eberhart J, Swartz M, Crump J, Kimmel C. Early Hedgehog signaling from neural to oral epithelium organizes anterior craniofacial development. Development. 2006;133:1069-77 pubmed
- Dutton K, Abbas L, Spencer J, Brannon C, Mowbray C, Nikaido M, et al. A zebrafish model for Waardenburg syndrome type IV reveals diverse roles for Sox10 in the otic vesicle. Dis Model Mech. 2009;2:68-83 pubmed publisher..Using a combination of mutant and morphant data, we show that the three sox genes belonging to group E (sox9a, sox9b and sox10) provide a link between otic induction pathways and subsequent otic patterning: they act ..
- Cresko W, Yan Y, Baltrus D, Amores A, Singer A, Rodriguez Mari A, et al. Genome duplication, subfunction partitioning, and lineage divergence: Sox9 in stickleback and zebrafish. Dev Dyn. 2003;228:480-9 pubmed..Most expression domains appear to have been partitioned between Sox9a and Sox9b before the divergence of stickleback and zebrafish lineages, but some ancestral expression domains were ..
- Stewart R, Arduini B, Berghmans S, George R, Kanki J, Henion P, et al. Zebrafish foxd3 is selectively required for neural crest specification, migration and survival. Dev Biol. 2006;292:174-88 pubmed
- Nicolson T. The genetics of hearing and balance in zebrafish. Annu Rev Genet. 2005;39:9-22 pubmed..This review addresses the most recent advances in our understanding of how the ear forms and discusses the molecules in hair cells that are essential for sensing sound and movement in the zebrafish. ..
- Baas D, Malbouyres M, Haftek Terreau Z, Le Guellec D, Ruggiero F. Craniofacial cartilage morphogenesis requires zebrafish col11a1 activity. Matrix Biol. 2009;28:490-502 pubmed publisher..Moreover, the defects observed in cartilage formation resemble those observed in human chondrodysplasia such as the Stickler/Marshall syndrome. Zebrafish represent a novel reliable vertebrate model for collagen XI collagenopathies. ..
- van Boxtel A, Pieterse B, Cenijn P, Kamstra J, Brouwer A, van Wieringen W, et al. Dithiocarbamates induce craniofacial abnormalities and downregulate sox9a during zebrafish development. Toxicol Sci. 2010;117:209-17 pubmed publisher..including an essential transcription factor for zebrafish craniofacial development, SRY-box-containing gene 9a (sox9a)...
- Kurita K, Sakai N. Functionally distinctive testicular cell lines of zebrafish to support male germ cell development. Mol Reprod Dev. 2004;67:430-8 pubmed..characteristic of Sertoli cells such as phagocytic activity and transcription both of their specific genes, sox9a and Wilms' tumor suppressor WT1, and of the vas gene of germ cells were analyzed in the lines...
- BIRKHOLZ D, OLESNICKY KILLIAN E, George K, Artinger K. Prdm1a is necessary for posterior pharyngeal arch development in zebrafish. Dev Dyn. 2009;238:2575-87 pubmed publisher..Together, these results indicate an essential role for prdm1a in the development of the zebrafish craniofacial skeleton...
- Rotllant J, Liu D, Yan Y, Postlethwait J, Westerfield M, Du S. Sparc (Osteonectin) functions in morphogenesis of the pharyngeal skeleton and inner ear. Matrix Biol. 2008;27:561-72 pubmed publisher..A comparison of the phenotypes of Sparc knockdown and known zebrafish mutants with similar defects places Sparc downstream of sox9 in the genetic network that regulates development of the pharyngeal skeleton and inner ear of vertebrates...
- Adolf B, Chapouton P, Lam C, Topp S, Tannhäuser B, Strahle U, et al. Conserved and acquired features of adult neurogenesis in the zebrafish telencephalon. Dev Biol. 2006;295:278-93 pubmed
- Hall C, Flores M, Murison G, Crosier K, Crosier P. An essential role for zebrafish Fgfrl1 during gill cartilage development. Mech Dev. 2006;123:925-40 pubmed..In addition, two transcription factors essential for chondrogenesis, sox9a and runx2b, fail to express within the mesenchymal condensations of the branchial arches...
- Armas P, Margarit E, Mouguelar V, Allende M, Calcaterra N. Beyond the binding site: in vivo identification of tbx2, smarca5 and wnt5b as molecular targets of CNBP during embryonic development. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e63234 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, it represents a novel approach toward understanding the biological function and regulatory networks involving CNBP in the biology of vertebrates. ..
- Lin C, Lee H, Chen H, Hsieh C, Tsai H. Normal function of Myf5 during gastrulation is required for pharyngeal arch cartilage development in zebrafish embryos. Zebrafish. 2013;10:486-99 pubmed publisher..morphology in the cranial skeleton; (2) decreased expressions of the cranial neural crest (CNC) markers foxd3, sox9a, dlx2, and col2a1; (3) defect in the chondrogenic neural crest similar to that of fgf3 morphants; (4) reduced fgf3/..
- Chen Y, Lin Y, Lee G. Novel and unexpected functions of zebrafish CCAAT box binding transcription factor (NF-Y) B subunit during cartilages development. Bone. 2009;44:777-84 pubmed publisher..Staining with digoxigenin-labeled dlx2a, sox9a, runx2b and col2a1 riboprobes showed that nf-yb-morphants displayed reduced amounts of cranial neural crest cells ..
- Quintana A, Geiger E, Achilly N, Rosenblatt D, Maclean K, Stabler S, et al. Hcfc1b, a zebrafish ortholog of HCFC1, regulates craniofacial development by modulating mmachc expression. Dev Biol. 2014;396:94-106 pubmed publisher..Thus, our data demonstrates that HCFC1 plays a role in craniofacial development, which is in part mediated through the regulation of MMACHC expression. ..
- Sousa S, Afonso N, Bensimon Brito A, Fonseca M, Simoes M, Leon J, et al. Differentiated skeletal cells contribute to blastema formation during zebrafish fin regeneration. Development. 2011;138:3897-905 pubmed publisher..These findings provide novel insights into the origin of cells in epimorphic appendage regeneration in zebrafish and suggest conservation of regeneration mechanisms between fish and amphibians. ..
- Ghassibe Sabbagh M, Desmyter L, Langenberg T, Claes F, Boute O, Bayet B, et al. FAF1, a gene that is disrupted in cleft palate and has conserved function in zebrafish. Am J Hum Genet. 2011;88:150-61 pubmed publisher..abnormality as a result of a failure of CNC to differentiate into and express cartilage-specific markers, such as sox9a and col2a1. Administration of faf1 mRNA rescues this phenotype...
- Montero Balaguer M, Lang M, Sachdev S, Knappmeyer C, Stewart R, De La Guardia A, et al. The mother superior mutation ablates foxd3 activity in neural crest progenitor cells and depletes neural crest derivatives in zebrafish. Dev Dyn. 2006;235:3199-212 pubmed..Further analysis of mosm188 mutants and foxd3 morphants revealed that NC cells are initially formed, suggesting that foxd3 function is required to maintain the pool of NC progenitors. ..
- Sarmah S, Barrallo Gimeno A, Melville D, Topczewski J, Solnica Krezel L, Knapik E. Sec24D-dependent transport of extracellular matrix proteins is required for zebrafish skeletal morphogenesis. PLoS ONE. 2010;5:e10367 pubmed publisher..Our study presents the first developmental perspective on Sec24D function and establishes Sec24D as a strong candidate for cartilage maintenance diseases and craniofacial birth defects. ..
- Tong S, Hsu H, Chung B. Zebrafish monosex population reveals female dominance in sex determination and earliest events of gonad differentiation. Dev Biol. 2010;344:849-56 pubmed publisher..Our genetic selection scheme matches the prediction that female-dominant genetic factors are required to determine zebrafish sex...
- Le Pabic P, Ng C, Schilling T. Fat-Dachsous signaling coordinates cartilage differentiation and polarity during craniofacial development. PLoS Genet. 2014;10:e1004726 pubmed publisher..In zebrafish embryos deficient in Fat3 or Dchs2, chondrocytes fail to stack and misregulate expression of sox9a. Similar morphogenetic defects occur in rerea/atr2a-/- mutants, and Fat3 binds REREa, consistent with a model in ..
- Webster K, Schach U, Ordaz A, Steinfeld J, Draper B, Siegfried K. Dmrt1 is necessary for male sexual development in zebrafish. Dev Biol. 2017;422:33-46 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, the strong sex-ratio bias caused by dmrt1 reduction-of-function points to potential mechanisms through which sex chromosomes may evolve. ..
- Smith A, Avaron F, Guay D, Padhi B, Akimenko M. Inhibition of BMP signaling during zebrafish fin regeneration disrupts fin growth and scleroblasts differentiation and function. Dev Biol. 2006;299:438-54 pubmed..runx2a/b and their target col10a1 were downregulated following BMP signaling inhibition. Unexpectedly, the sox9a/b transcription factors responsible for chondrocyte differentiation were detected in the non-cartilaginous fin ..
- Yan Y, Bhattacharya P, He X, Ponugoti B, Marquardt B, Layman J, et al. Duplicated zebrafish co-orthologs of parathyroid hormone-related peptide (PTHrP, Pthlh) play different roles in craniofacial skeletogenesis. J Endocrinol. 2012;214:421-35 pubmed publisher..the regulation of duplicated pthlh genes, we studied their expression patterns in mutants and found that both sox9a and sox9b are upstream of pthlha in arch and fin bud cartilages, but only sox9b is upstream of pthlha in the ..
- Comyn S, Pilgrim D. Lack of developmental redundancy between Unc45 proteins in zebrafish muscle development. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e48861 pubmed publisher..Instead, our phylogenetic and phenotypic analyses provide evidence for the role of functional divergence in the evolution of the UCS protein family. ..
- Greenhill E, Rocco A, Vibert L, Nikaido M, Kelsh R. An iterative genetic and dynamical modelling approach identifies novel features of the gene regulatory network underlying melanocyte development. PLoS Genet. 2011;7:e1002265 pubmed publisher..More generally, this novel approach to understanding melanocyte differentiation provides a basis for systematic modelling of differentiation in this and other cell-types. ..
- Freitas R, Gómez Marín C, Wilson J, Casares F, Gomez Skarmeta J. Hoxd13 contribution to the evolution of vertebrate appendages. Dev Cell. 2012;23:1219-29 pubmed publisher..Our results support the idea that modulation of 5'Hoxd gene expression, by acquisition of novel enhancer elements, offered the substrate for the evolution of fins and the origin of tetrapod limbs. ..
- Li Y, Laue K, Temtamy S, Aglan M, Kotan L, Yigit G, et al. Temtamy preaxial brachydactyly syndrome is caused by loss-of-function mutations in chondroitin synthase 1, a potential target of BMP signaling. Am J Hum Genet. 2010;87:757-67 pubmed publisher..In addition, we obtained strikingly similar zebrafish phenotypes after chsy1 overexpression, which might explain why, in humans, brachydactyly can be caused by mutations leading either to loss or to gain of BMP signaling. ..
- Rochard L, Monica S, Ling I, Kong Y, Roberson S, Harland R, et al. Roles of Wnt pathway genes wls, wnt9a, wnt5b, frzb and gpc4 in regulating convergent-extension during zebrafish palate morphogenesis. Development. 2016;143:2541-7 pubmed publisher..Our analysis delineates that non-canonical Wnt signaling is required for cell intercalation, and that wnt5b and wnt9a are required for palate extension in the anteroposterior and transverse axes, respectively. ..
- Wiweger M, de Andrea C, Scheepstra K, Zhao Z, Hogendoorn P. Possible effects of EXT2 on mesenchymal differentiation--lessons from the zebrafish. Orphanet J Rare Dis. 2014;9:35 pubmed publisher..Our observations in the ext2-null fish might explain the musculoskeletal defects that are often observed in MO patients. ..
- Juarez M, Reyes M, Coleman T, Rotenstein L, Sao S, Martinez D, et al. Characterization of the trunk neural crest in the bamboo shark, Chiloscyllium punctatum. J Comp Neurol. 2013;521:3303-20 pubmed publisher..These findings demonstrate that trunk neural crest cell development in C. punctatum follows the same highly conserved migratory pattern observed in jawed vertebrates. ..
- Nichols J, Pan L, Moens C, Kimmel C. barx1 represses joints and promotes cartilage in the craniofacial skeleton. Development. 2013;140:2765-75 pubmed publisher..We further show that hand2 feeds back to negatively regulate barx1 expression. We consider the possibility that changes in barx1 function in early vertebrates were among the key innovations fostering the evolution of skeletal joints...
- Pascoal S, Esteves de Lima J, Leslie J, Hughes S, Saude L. Notch signalling is required for the formation of structurally stable muscle fibres in zebrafish. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e68021 pubmed publisher..We propose that by controlling the differentiation of myogenic progenitor cells, Notch signalling might secure the formation of structurally stable muscle fibres in the zebrafish pectoral fin. ..
- Nowak M, Hammerschmidt M. Ubc9 regulates mitosis and cell survival during zebrafish development. Mol Biol Cell. 2006;17:5324-36 pubmed..Failed mitosis in the absence of Ubc9 is not necessarily coupled with cell death. Rather, cells can continue to replicate their DNA, grow to a larger size, and finish their normal developmental program. ..
- Levic D, Minkel J, Wang W, Rybski W, Melville D, Knapik E. Animal model of Sar1b deficiency presents lipid absorption deficits similar to Anderson disease. J Mol Med (Berl). 2015;93:165-76 pubmed publisher..Key messages: Sar1b depletion phenotype in zebrafish resembles Anderson disease deficits. Sar1b deficiency results in multi-organ developmental deficits. Sar1b is required for dietary cholesterol uptake into enterocytes. ..
- Ning G, Liu X, Dai M, Meng A, Wang Q. MicroRNA-92a upholds Bmp signaling by targeting noggin3 during pharyngeal cartilage formation. Dev Cell. 2013;24:283-95 pubmed publisher..Therefore, mir92a acts to maintain Bmp activity during pharyngeal cartilage formation by targeting nog3. ..
- Swartz M, Sheehan Rooney K, Dixon M, Eberhart J. Examination of a palatogenic gene program in zebrafish. Dev Dyn. 2011;240:2204-20 pubmed publisher..Collectively, these results suggest that the gene regulatory networks regulating palatogenesis may be conserved across vertebrate species, demonstrating the utility of zebrafish as a model for palatogenesis. ..
- Rouleau M, Saxena V, Rodrigue A, Paquet E, Gagnon A, Hendzel M, et al. A key role for poly(ADP-ribose) polymerase 3 in ectodermal specification and neural crest development. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e15834 pubmed publisher..inhibition of parp3 expression in zebrafish impairs the expression of the neural crest cell specifier sox9a and of dlx3b/dlx4b, the formation of cranial sensory placodes, inner ears and pectoral fins...
- Kara N, Wei C, Commanday A, Patton J. miR-27 regulates chondrogenesis by suppressing focal adhesion kinase during pharyngeal arch development. Dev Biol. 2017;429:321-334 pubmed publisher..These data support a crucial role for miR-27 in promoting chondrogenic differentiation in the pharyngeal arches through regulation of FAK. ..
- Wu B, Wen S, Hwang S, Huang C, Kuan Y. Control of Wnt5b secretion by Wntless modulates chondrogenic cell proliferation through fine-tuning fgf3 expression. J Cell Sci. 2015;128:2328-39 pubmed publisher..Therefore, Wnt5b requires Wls for its secretion and regulates the proliferation of chondrogenic cells through fine-tuning the expression of fgf3 during jaw cartilage development. ..
- Lau M, Kwong E, Lai K, Li J, Ho J, Chan T, et al. Pathogenesis of POLR1C-dependent Type 3 Treacher Collins Syndrome revealed by a zebrafish model. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2016;1862:1147-58 pubmed publisher..Lastly, we partially rescued the TCS facial phenotype in the background of p53 mutants, which supported the hypothesis that POLR1C-dependent type 3 TCS is associated with the p53 pathway. ..
- Laue K, Janicke M, Plaster N, Sonntag C, Hammerschmidt M. Restriction of retinoic acid activity by Cyp26b1 is required for proper timing and patterning of osteogenesis during zebrafish development. Development. 2008;135:3775-87 pubmed publisher..cyp26b1 mutants may serve as a model to study the etiology of human vertebral disorders such as Klippel-Feil anomaly. ..
- Zhang Z, Lau S, Zhang L, Ge W. Disruption of Zebrafish Follicle-Stimulating Hormone Receptor (fshr) But Not Luteinizing Hormone Receptor (lhcgr) Gene by TALEN Leads to Failed Follicle Activation in Females Followed by Sexual Reversal to Males. Endocrinology. 2015;156:3747-62 pubmed publisher..Neither Fshr nor Lhcgr deficiency could phenocopy the deficiency of their cognate ligands FSH and LH, which is likely due to the fact that Fshr can be activated by both FSH and LH in the zebrafish. ..
- Sun D, Zhang Y, Wang C, Hua X, Zhang X, Yan J. Sox9-related signaling controls zebrafish juvenile ovary-testis transformation. Cell Death Dis. 2013;4:e930 pubmed publisher..In this study, we find that the transforming gonads undergo activation of sox9a-expressing stromal cells with increased deposition of extracellular matrix and formation of degenerative ..
- Zhao C, Andreeva V, Gibert Y, Labonty M, Lattanzi V, Prabhudesai S, et al. Tissue specific roles for the ribosome biogenesis factor Wdr43 in zebrafish development. PLoS Genet. 2014;10:e1004074 pubmed publisher..Together, our findings provide new insight into roles for Wdr43 in development, ribosome biogenesis, and also ribosomopathy-induced craniofacial phenotypes including Treacher-Collins Syndrome. ..
- Nishioka T, Arima N, Kano K, Hama K, Itai E, Yukiura H, et al. ATX-LPA1 axis contributes to proliferation of chondrocytes by regulating fibronectin assembly leading to proper cartilage formation. Sci Rep. 2016;6:23433 pubmed publisher..Thus, the ATX-LPA1 axis is a key regulator of cartilage formation. ..
- Dale R, Topczewski J. Identification of an evolutionarily conserved regulatory element of the zebrafish col2a1a gene. Dev Biol. 2011;357:518-31 pubmed publisher..Finally, we show that like endogenous col2a1a, craniofacial expression of these reporter constructs depends on Sox9a transcription factor activity...
- Nakamura Y, Yamamoto K, He X, Otsuki B, Kim Y, Murao H, et al. Wwp2 is essential for palatogenesis mediated by the interaction between Sox9 and mediator subunit 25. Nat Commun. 2011;2:251 pubmed publisher..These results provide evidence that the regulatory interaction between Sox9, Wwp2 and Med25 defines the Sox9 transcriptional mechanisms of chondrogenesis in the forming palate. ..
- Schwend T, Loucks E, Ahlgren S. Visualization of Gli activity in craniofacial tissues of hedgehog-pathway reporter transgenic zebrafish. PLoS ONE. 2010;5:e14396 pubmed publisher..We further demonstrate the Tg(Gli-d:mCherry) fish are a highly useful tool for studying Hh-signaling dependent processes during embryogenesis and larval stages. ..