Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: sox3
Description: SRY (sex determining region Y)-box 3
Alias: fc93f07, id:ibd2036, sb:cb493, wu:fc93f07, wu:fd02a08, zgc:110279, transcription factor Sox-3, SRY-box containing gene 3, transcription factor SOX3
- Zhang C, Basta T, Hernandez Lagunas L, Simpson P, Stemple D, Artinger K, et al. Repression of nodal expression by maternal B1-type SOXs regulates germ layer formation in Xenopus and zebrafish. Dev Biol. 2004;273:23-37 pubmed..their maternal functions, we used the affinity-purified antibody antiSOX3c, which inhibits the binding of Xenopus SOX3 to target DNA sequences [Development. 130(2003)5609]. The antibody also cross-reacts with zebrafish embryos...
- Lindeman L, Winata C, Aanes H, Mathavan S, Alestrom P, Collas P. Chromatin states of developmentally-regulated genes revealed by DNA and histone methylation patterns in zebrafish embryos. Int J Dev Biol. 2010;54:803-13 pubmed publisher..DNA methylation and histone modification profiles of promoters of developmentally-regulated genes (pou5f1, sox2, sox3, klf4, nnr, otx1b, nes, vasa), as well as tert and bactin2, in zebrafish embryos at the mid-late blastula ..
- Kuo C, Lam C, Hewitt J, Scotting P. Formation of the embryonic organizer is restricted by the competitive influences of Fgf signaling and the SoxB1 transcription factors. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e57698 pubmed publisher..We have previously shown that the SoxB1 transcription factor, Sox3, plays a central role as a transcriptional repressor of zebrafish organizer gene expression...
- Ko C, Tsai M, Tseng W, Cheng C, Huang C, Wu J, et al. Integration of CNS survival and differentiation by HIF2?. Cell Death Differ. 2011;18:1757-70 pubmed publisher..The reduction in elavl3/HuC expression and enhanced pcna, nestin, ascl1b and sox3 expression indicate that the surviving neural progenitor cells in hif2? morphants maintain a high proliferation ..
- Gonzalez Quevedo R, Lee Y, Poss K, Wilkinson D. Neuronal regulation of the spatial patterning of neurogenesis. Dev Cell. 2010;18:136-47 pubmed publisher..Fgf20a mutants have ectopic neurogenesis and lack the segment center progenitor population. Our findings reveal how signaling from neurons induces formation of a nonneurogenic zone of neural progenitors. ..
- Padanad M, Bhat N, Guo B, Riley B. Conditions that influence the response to Fgf during otic placode induction. Dev Biol. 2012;364:1-10 pubmed publisher..These findings document the variables critically affecting the response to Fgf and clarify the roles of foxi1 and pax2/8 in the otic response. ..
- Lindeman L, Reiner A, Mathavan S, Alestrom P, Collas P. Tiling histone H3 lysine 4 and 27 methylation in zebrafish using high-density microarrays. PLoS ONE. 2010;5:e15651 pubmed publisher..We have designed and validated for the scientific community a comprehensive high-resolution tiling microarray for investigations of epigenetic states in zebrafish, a widely used developmental and disease model organism. ..
- Maulding K, Padanad M, Dong J, Riley B. Mesodermal Fgf10b cooperates with other fibroblast growth factors during induction of otic and epibranchial placodes in zebrafish. Dev Dyn. 2014;243:1275-85 pubmed publisher..fgf10b participates in a late phase of otic induction and, in combination with fgf3, is especially critical for epibranchial induction. ..
- Hrubik J, Glisic B, Samardzija D, Stanic B, Pogrmic Majkic K, Fa S, et al. Effect of PMA-induced protein kinase C activation on development and apoptosis in early zebrafish embryos. Comp Biochem Physiol C Toxicol Pharmacol. 2016;190:24-31 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that direct over-activation of Pkc during early embryogenesis of zebrafish is associated with apoptosis and decreased survival rate of the embryos. ..
- Gou Y, Vemaraju S, Sweet E, Kwon H, Riley B. sox2 and sox3 Play unique roles in development of hair cells and neurons in the zebrafish inner ear. Dev Biol. 2018;435:73-83 pubmed publisher..progenitors in the inner ear requires Sox2 in mammals, and in other species is thought to rely on both Sox2 and Sox3. How Sox2 and/or Sox3 promote different fates is poorly understood...
- Cruz C, Maegawa S, Weinberg E, Wilson S, Dawid I, Kudoh T. Induction and patterning of trunk and tail neural ectoderm by the homeobox gene eve1 in zebrafish embryos. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2010;107:3564-9 pubmed publisher..We conclude that eve1 is crucial for the organization of the antero-posterior and dorso-ventral axis in the gastrula ectoderm and also has trunk- and tail-promoting activity...
- Gulati Leekha A, Goldman D. A reporter-assisted mutagenesis screen using alpha 1-tubulin-GFP transgenic zebrafish uncovers missteps during neuronal development and axonogenesis. Dev Biol. 2006;296:29-47 pubmed..Molecular identification of these loci and analysis of the remaining mutational repertoire will offer unique insights into the genetic inputs that go on to make a mature, differentiated neuron. ..
- Song Y, Wu B, Chiu C, Chen C, Zhou J, Liang S, et al. Coral-Derived Natural Marine Compound GB9 Impairs Vascular Development in Zebrafish. Int J Mol Sci. 2017;18: pubmed publisher..Moreover, exogenous N-acetyl-cysteine (NAC) treatment rescued the vascular defects in GB9 treated embryos. Our results showed that GB9 exposure causes vascular defects likely mediated by the imbalance of redox homeostasis. ..
- Rossi C, Kaji T, Artinger K. Transcriptional control of Rohon-Beard sensory neuron development at the neural plate border. Dev Dyn. 2009;238:931-43 pubmed publisher..overlaps extensively with the epidermal marker dlx3b but shows little overlap with the neuroectodermal markers sox3 and sox19a...
- McCarroll M, Nechiporuk A. Fgf3 and Fgf10a work in concert to promote maturation of the epibranchial placodes in zebrafish. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e85087 pubmed publisher..EB placodes are induced in the absence of Fgf3 and Fgf10a, they fail to express placode specific markers Pax2a and Sox3. Expression analysis and mosaic rescue experiments demonstrate that Fgf3 signal is derived from the endoderm, ..
- Takesono A, Moger J, Farooq S, Faroq S, Cartwright E, Dawid I, et al. Solute carrier family 3 member 2 (Slc3a2) controls yolk syncytial layer (YSL) formation by regulating microtubule networks in the zebrafish embryo. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2012;109:3371-6 pubmed publisher..This work illuminates processes at a very early stage of zebrafish embryogenesis and more generally informs the mechanism of cell dynamics during syncytium formation. ..
- Kamachi Y, Okuda Y, Kondoh H. Quantitative assessment of the knockdown efficiency of morpholino antisense oligonucleotides in zebrafish embryos using a luciferase assay. Genesis. 2008;46:1-7 pubmed publisher..Our quantitative assessment method also reveals, however, that an effective and specific knockdown can be achieved when employing a strategy that takes advantage of the synergistic effect of double MOs used at low levels. ..
- Nanda I, Haaf T, Schartl M, Schmid M, Burt D. Comparative mapping of Z-orthologous genes in vertebrates: implications for the evolution of avian sex chromosomes. Cytogenet Genome Res. 2002;99:178-84 pubmed..Collectively, these data argue in favour of a more recent evolution of the avian Z chromosome, compared with the mammalian X. ..
- Harrington M, Hong E, Fasanmi O, Brewster R. Cadherin-mediated adhesion regulates posterior body formation. BMC Dev Biol. 2007;7:130 pubmed..These findings further highlight the central role that adhesion molecules play in the cellular rearrangements that drive morphogenesis in vertebrates and identify classical cadherins as major contributors to tail development. ..
- Takano A, Zochi R, Hibi M, Terashima T, Katsuyama Y. Function of strawberry notch family genes in the zebrafish brain development. Kobe J Med Sci. 2011;56:E220-30 pubmed..Knockdown of sbno1 specifically affects regionalization along the anterior-posterior axis of the brain. These results suggest essential roles of sbno genes in vertebrate brain development. ..
- Bonner J, Gribble S, Veien E, Nikolaus O, Weidinger G, Dorsky R. Proliferation and patterning are mediated independently in the dorsal spinal cord downstream of canonical Wnt signaling. Dev Biol. 2008;313:398-407 pubmed..Together, our work demonstrates that proliferation and patterning in the developing spinal cord are separable events that are regulated independently by Wnt signaling. ..
- Van Boxtel A, Chesebro J, Heliot C, Ramel M, Stone R, Hill C. A Temporal Window for Signal Activation Dictates the Dimensions of a Nodal Signaling Domain. Dev Cell. 2015;35:175-85 pubmed publisher..Thus, temporal information is transformed into spatial information to define the dimensions of the Nodal signaling domain and, consequently, to specify mesendoderm. ..
- Han X, Gui B, Xiong C, Zhao L, Liang J, Sun L, et al. Destabilizing LSD1 by Jade-2 promotes neurogenesis: an antibraking system in neural development. Mol Cell. 2014;55:482-94 pubmed publisher..As a potential anticancer strategy, Jade-2-mediated LSD1 degradation could potentially be used in neuroblastoma cells to induce differentiation toward postmitotic neurons. ..
- Sarras M, Leontovich A, Olsen A, Intine R. Impaired tissue regeneration corresponds with altered expression of developmental genes that persists in the metabolic memory state of diabetic zebrafish. Wound Repair Regen. 2013;21:320-8 pubmed publisher..The aberrant expression of key regulatory genes in the DM state that persist into the MM state provides a plausible explanation on how hyperglycemia induced impaired fin regeneration in the adult zebrafish DM/MM model. ..
- Gribble S, Kim H, Bonner J, Wang X, Dorsky R. Tcf3 inhibits spinal cord neurogenesis by regulating sox4a expression. Development. 2009;136:781-9 pubmed publisher..Both of these functions are mediated by Tcf3 independently of canonical Wnt signaling. Together, our data indicate a novel mechanism for the regulation of neurogenesis by Tcf3-mediated repression. ..
- Diks S, Bink R, van de Water S, Joore J, van Rooijen C, Verbeek F, et al. The novel gene asb11: a regulator of the size of the neural progenitor compartment. J Cell Biol. 2006;174:581-92 pubmed..Knockdown of the d-Asb11 protein altered the expression of neural precursor genes sox2 and sox3 and resulted in an initial relative increase in proneural cell numbers...
- Wu T, Wang Y, Song Y, Chen Z, Chen Y, Chiu C, et al. Fine-tune regulation of carboxypeptidase N1 controls vascular patterning during zebrafish development. Sci Rep. 2017;7:1852 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, we demonstrate that cpn1 has a critical role in the vascular development of zebrafish. We also reveal a fine-tune regulation of cpn1 that controls vascular patterning mediated by multiple signals. ..
- Katoh Y, Katoh M. Comparative genomics on SOX2 orthologs. Oncol Rep. 2005;14:797-800 pubmed..SOX2 gene at human chromosome 3q26.33, SOX1 gene at 13q34, and SOX3 gene at Xq27.1 constitute a subfamily among the SOX gene family...
- Loucks E, Schwend T, Ahlgren S. Molecular changes associated with teratogen-induced cyclopia. Birth Defects Res A Clin Mol Teratol. 2007;79:642-51 pubmed..These data suggest that each teratogen exposure leads to a unique set of molecular changes that underlie the single phenotype of cyclopia. ..
- Navratilova P, Fredman D, Hawkins T, Turner K, Lenhard B, Becker T. Systematic human/zebrafish comparative identification of cis-regulatory activity around vertebrate developmental transcription factor genes. Dev Biol. 2009;327:526-40 pubmed publisher..On the loci of two developmental transcription factor genes, SOX3 and PAX6, we demonstrate that HCNEs conserved between human and zebrafish can be systematically and reliably tested ..
- Yue H, Li C, Du H, Zhang S, Wei Q. Sequencing and De Novo Assembly of the Gonadal Transcriptome of the Endangered Chinese Sturgeon (Acipenser sinensis). PLoS ONE. 2015;10:e0127332 pubmed publisher..The SSRs identified in this work will be valuable for assessment of genetic diversity of wild fish and genealogy management of cultured fish. ..
- Jia S, Wu D, Xing C, Meng A. Smad2/3 activities are required for induction and patterning of the neuroectoderm in zebrafish. Dev Biol. 2009;333:273-84 pubmed publisher..mRNA encoding a dominant negative Smad3b mutant, inhibits the expression of the early neural markers sox2 and sox3 at the onset of gastrulation and results in reduction of the anterior neuroectodermal marker otx2 as well as the ..
- Londin E, Mentzer L, Sirotkin H. Churchill regulates cell movement and mesoderm specification by repressing Nodal signaling. BMC Dev Biol. 2007;7:120 pubmed..These findings reveal a dynamic role for chch in regulating cell movement and fate during early development. ..
- Ahn H, Park Y, Kim S, Park H, Seo S, Yeo S, et al. The expression profile and function of Satb2 in zebrafish embryonic development. Mol Cells. 2010;30:377-82 pubmed publisher..This role may potentially be the regulation of endo-exocytic vesicle transport-dependent cell migration and/or the regulation of the development of the yolk syncytial layer. ..
- Lee J, Wu S, Goering L, Dorsky R. Canonical Wnt signaling through Lef1 is required for hypothalamic neurogenesis. Development. 2006;133:4451-61 pubmed..Finally, we show that Lef1 associates in vivo with the promoter of sox3, which depends on Lef1 for its expression and can rescue neurogenesis in the absence of Lef1...
- Corrales J, Fang X, Thornton C, Mei W, Barbazuk W, Duke M, et al. Effects on specific promoter DNA methylation in zebrafish embryos and larvae following benzo[a]pyrene exposure. Comp Biochem Physiol C Toxicol Pharmacol. 2014;163:37-46 pubmed publisher..At 96hpf (hours post fertilization) compared to 3.3hpf, dazl, nqo1, sox3, cyp1b1, and gstp1 had higher methylation percentages while c-fos and cdkn1a had decreased CG methylation...
- Chen X, Shi W, Wang F, Du Z, Yang Y, Gao M, et al. Zinc finger DHHC-type containing 13 regulates fate specification of ectoderm and mesoderm cell lineages by modulating Smad6 activity. Stem Cells Dev. 2014;23:1899-909 pubmed publisher..Our results extended the cellular role of Zdhhc13, suggesting that it acts as a regulator in BMP signaling, and established that the embryonic function of Zdhhc13 is in lineage specification. ..
- Rentzsch F, Bakkers J, Kramer C, Hammerschmidt M. Fgf signaling induces posterior neuroectoderm independently of Bmp signaling inhibition. Dev Dyn. 2004;231:750-7 pubmed
- Bhat N, Riley B. Integrin-?5 coordinates assembly of posterior cranial placodes in zebrafish and enhances Fgf-dependent regulation of otic/epibranchial cells. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e27778 pubmed publisher..These findings support a model in which itga5 coordinates cell migration into posterior placodes and augments Fgf signaling required for patterning of these tissues and cell survival in otic/epibranchial placodes. ..
- Cavodeassi F, Carreira Barbosa F, Young R, Concha M, Allende M, Houart C, et al. Early stages of zebrafish eye formation require the coordinated activity of Wnt11, Fz5, and the Wnt/beta-catenin pathway. Neuron. 2005;47:43-56 pubmed
- Riesco M, Robles V. Cryopreservation Causes Genetic and Epigenetic Changes in Zebrafish Genital Ridges. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e67614 pubmed publisher..All these data suggest that molecular alterations caused by cryopreservation should be studied in detail in order to ensure the total safety of the technique. ..
- Martin B, Kimelman D. Canonical Wnt signaling dynamically controls multiple stem cell fate decisions during vertebrate body formation. Dev Cell. 2012;22:223-32 pubmed publisher..Our results demonstrate that dynamic local Wnt signaling cues specify germ layer contribution and mesodermal tissue type specification of multipotent stem cells throughout the formation of the early vertebrate embryonic body...
- Veil M, Schaechtle M, Gao M, Kirner V, Buryanova L, Grethen R, et al. Maternal Nanog is required for zebrafish embryo architecture and for cell viability during gastrulation. Development. 2018;145: pubmed publisher..i> Our findings suggest that maternal Nanog coordinates several gene regulatory networks that shape the embryo during gastrulation. ..
- Leichsenring M, Maes J, Mössner R, Driever W, Onichtchouk D. Pou5f1 transcription factor controls zygotic gene activation in vertebrates. Science. 2013;341:1005-9 pubmed publisher..Our data position Pou5f1 and SOX-POU sites at the center of the zygotic gene activation network of vertebrates and provide a link between zygotic gene activation and pluripotency control. ..
- Gou Y, Guo J, Maulding K, Riley B. sox2 and sox3 cooperate to regulate otic/epibranchial placode induction in zebrafish. Dev Biol. 2018;435:84-95 pubmed publisherExpression of sox3 is one of the earliest markers of Fgf-dependent otic/epibranchial placode induction. We report here that sox2 is also expressed in the early otic/epibranchial placode in zebrafish...
- Gore A, Athans B, Iben J, Johnson K, Russanova V, Castranova D, et al. Epigenetic regulation of hematopoiesis by DNA methylation. elife. 2016;5:e11813 pubmed publisher..Our results reveal an epigenetic mechanism supporting the maintenance of hematopoietic cell fate via DNA methylation-mediated perdurance of a key transcription factor in HSPCs. ..
- Ma Y, Liu X, Liu Z, Wei S, Shang H, Xue Y, et al. The Chromatin Remodeling Protein Bptf Promotes Posterior Neuroectodermal Fate by Enhancing Smad2-Activated wnt8a Expression. J Neurosci. 2015;35:8493-506 pubmed publisher..We propose that Bptf and TGF-Î²/Smad2 mediate nucleosome remodeling to regulate wnt8a expression and hence neural posteriorization. ..
- Garnett A, Square T, Medeiros D. BMP, Wnt and FGF signals are integrated through evolutionarily conserved enhancers to achieve robust expression of Pax3 and Zic genes at the zebrafish neural plate border. Development. 2012;139:4220-31 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our results reveal how BMPs, FGFs and Wnts act cooperatively and redundantly through partially redundant enhancers to achieve robust, specific gene expression in the zebrafish NPB. ..
- Zhong L, Yu X, Tong J. Sox genes in grass carp (Ctenopharyngodon idella) with their implications for genome duplication and evolution. Genet Sel Evol. 2006;38:673-87 pubmed..An estimation for the origin of grass carp based on the molecular clock using Sox1, Sox3 and Sox11 genes as markers indicates that grass carp (subfamily Leuciscinae) and zebrafish (subfamily Danioninae) ..
- Cheng Y, Chiang M, Shih H, Ma T, Yeh T, Huang Y, et al. The transcription factor hairy/E(spl)-related 2 induces proliferation of neural progenitors and regulates neurogenesis and gliogenesis. Dev Biol. 2015;397:116-28 pubmed publisher..Together, these two mechanisms ensure the proper development of the neural progenitor cell pool. ..
- Shi W, Chen X, Wang F, Gao M, Yang Y, Du Z, et al. ZDHHC16 modulates FGF/ERK dependent proliferation of neural stem/progenitor cells in the zebrafish telencephalon. Dev Neurobiol. 2016;76:1014-28 pubmed publisher..2016 Wiley Periodicals, Inc. Develop Neurobiol 76: 1014-1028, 2016. ..
- Chang H, Wang W, Chiu C, Chen C, Wang Y, Chen Z, et al. Ftr82 Is Critical for Vascular Patterning during Zebrafish Development. Int J Mol Sci. 2017;18: pubmed publisher..Together, we identify teleost-specific ftr82 as a vascular gene that plays an important role for vascular development in zebrafish. ..
- Desai K, Spikings E, Zhang T. Effect of chilling on sox2, sox3 and sox19a gene expression in zebrafish (Danio rerio) embryos. Cryobiology. 2011;63:96-103 pubmed publisher..This study focused on the effect of chilling and subsequent warming on gene expression of sox2, sox3 and sox19a which play vital roles in the development of zebrafish embryos...
- Wu S, Zhang H, Cairns B. Genes for embryo development are packaged in blocks of multivalent chromatin in zebrafish sperm. Genome Res. 2011;21:578-89 pubmed publisher..Taken together, gene sets with particular functions in the embryo are packaged by distinctive types of complex and often atypical chromatin in sperm. ..
- Gestri G, Carl M, Appolloni I, Wilson S, Barsacchi G, Andreazzoli M. Six3 functions in anterior neural plate specification by promoting cell proliferation and inhibiting Bmp4 expression. Development. 2005;132:2401-13 pubmed..These results suggest a very early role for Six3 in specification of the anterior neural plate, through the regulation of cell proliferation and the inhibition of BMP signalling. ..
- Harrington M, Chalasani K, Brewster R. Cellular mechanisms of posterior neural tube morphogenesis in the zebrafish. Dev Dyn. 2010;239:747-62 pubmed publisher..Overall, these mechanisms resemble those previously described in anterior regions, suggesting that, in contrast to amniotes, neurulation is a fairly uniform process in zebrafish. ..