Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: sox2
Description: SRY (sex determining region Y)-box 2
Alias: cb236, soxp, wu:fb83g04, wu:fc14d07, zgc:65860, zgc:77389, transcription factor Sox-2, SRY-box containing gene 2, transcription factor SOX2
- Lindeman L, Winata C, Aanes H, Mathavan S, Alestrom P, Collas P. Chromatin states of developmentally-regulated genes revealed by DNA and histone methylation patterns in zebrafish embryos. Int J Dev Biol. 2010;54:803-13 pubmed publisher..here DNA methylation and histone modification profiles of promoters of developmentally-regulated genes (pou5f1, sox2, sox3, klf4, nnr, otx1b, nes, vasa), as well as tert and bactin2, in zebrafish embryos at the mid-late blastula ..
- Harrison M, Georgiou A, Spaink H, Cunliffe V. The epigenetic regulator Histone Deacetylase 1 promotes transcription of a core neurogenic programme in zebrafish embryos. BMC Genomics. 2011;12:24 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our observations indicate a novel role for Hdac1 as a positive regulator of gene transcription during development of the vertebrate CNS, in addition to its more well-established function in transcriptional repression. ..
- Hui S, Sengupta D, Lee S, Sen T, Kundu S, Mathavan S, et al. Genome wide expression profiling during spinal cord regeneration identifies comprehensive cellular responses in zebrafish. PLoS ONE. 2014;9:e84212 pubmed publisher..Genes involved in neurogenesis and their dorso-ventral patterning (sox2 and dbx2) are differentially expressed...
- Hsieh F, Ma T, Shih H, Lin S, Huang C, Wang H, et al. Dner inhibits neural progenitor proliferation and induces neuronal and glial differentiation in zebrafish. Dev Biol. 2013;375:1-12 pubmed publisher..This is the first study to demonstrate a role for Dner in neural progenitors and neuronal differentiation and provides new insights into mediation of neuronal development and differentiation by the Notch signaling pathway. ..
- Wei Y, Li K, Yao S, Gao J, Li J, Shang Y, et al. Loss of ZNF32 augments the regeneration of nervous lateral line system through negative regulation of SOX2 transcription. Oncotarget. 2016;7:70420-70436 pubmed publisher..Moreover, SOX2 was essential for the zfZNF32-dependent modulation of lateral line system regeneration...
- Kim S, Scott S, Bennett M, Carson R, Fessel J, Brown H, et al. Multi-organ abnormalities and mTORC1 activation in zebrafish model of multiple acyl-CoA dehydrogenase deficiency. PLoS Genet. 2013;9:e1003563 pubmed publisher..Altered mTORC1 signaling and maternal nutritional status may play critical roles in MADD disease progression and suggest novel treatment approaches that may ameliorate disease severity. ..
- Meyers J, Hu L, Moses A, Kaboli K, Papandrea A, Raymond P. ?-catenin/Wnt signaling controls progenitor fate in the developing and regenerating zebrafish retina. Neural Dev. 2012;7:30 pubmed publisher..This suggests that the ?-catenin/Wnt cascade is part of the shared molecular circuitry that maintains retinal stem cells for both homeostatic growth and epimorphic regeneration. ..
- Feijóo C, Saldias M, De la Paz J, Gomez Skarmeta J, Allende M. Formation of posterior cranial placode derivatives requires the Iroquois transcription factor irx4a. Mol Cell Neurosci. 2009;40:328-37 pubmed publisher..We also provide evidence that irx4a regulates the expression of the sox2 gene, both in the neural plate and in progenitor cells of the lateral line system...
- Lam C, März M, Strahle U. gfap and nestin reporter lines reveal characteristics of neural progenitors in the adult zebrafish brain. Dev Dyn. 2009;238:475-86 pubmed publisher..Cells expressing the two reporters display radial glial morphology, colocalize with the NSC marker Sox2, undergo proliferation, and are capable of self-renewal within the matrix of distinct thickness in the ..
- Jusuf P, Harris W. Ptf1a is expressed transiently in all types of amacrine cells in the embryonic zebrafish retina. Neural Dev. 2009;4:34 pubmed publisher..This work sets the stage for future studies looking at genetic specification of amacrine subtypes. ..
- Amaral P, Neyt C, Wilkins S, Askarian Amiri M, Sunkin S, Perkins A, et al. Complex architecture and regulated expression of the Sox2ot locus during vertebrate development. RNA. 2009;15:2013-27 pubmed publisherThe Sox2 gene is a key regulator of pluripotency embedded within an intron of a long noncoding RNA (ncRNA), termed Sox2 overlapping transcript (Sox2ot), which is transcribed in the same orientation...
- Row R, Tsotras S, Goto H, Martin B. The zebrafish tailbud contains two independent populations of midline progenitor cells that maintain long-term germ layer plasticity and differentiate in response to local signaling cues. Development. 2016;143:244-54 pubmed publisher..within a population of notochord/floor plate bipotential cells through negative transcriptional regulation of sox2. Notch signaling, required for hypochord induction during gastrulation, continues to act in the tailbud to specify ..
- Chassaing N, Davis E, McKnight K, Niederriter A, Causse A, David V, et al. Targeted resequencing identifies PTCH1 as a major contributor to ocular developmental anomalies and extends the SOX2 regulatory network. Genome Res. 2016;26:474-85 pubmed publisher..7 in 10,000 births. Mutations in SOX2 are the most frequent contributors to severe ODA, yet account for a minority of the genetic drivers...
- Robert Moreno l, Naranjo S, de la Calle Mustienes E, G mez Skarmeta J, Alsina B. Characterization of new otic enhancers of the pou3f4 gene reveal distinct signaling pathway regulation and spatio-temporal patterns. PLoS ONE. 2010;5:e15907 pubmed publisher..Finally, we show that Sox2 and Pax2 transcription factors are bound to HCNR 81675 genomic region during otic development and specific ..
- Tu C, Yang T, Huang H, Tsai H. Zebrafish arl6ip1 is required for neural crest development during embryogenesis. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e32899 pubmed publisher..Although the embryonic expression pattern of ADP ribosylation factor-like 6 interacting protein 1 (Arl6ip1) has been reported, its function in neural crest development is unclear...
- Kotkamp K, Kur E, Wendik B, Polok B, Ben Dor S, Onichtchouk D, et al. Pou5f1/Oct4 promotes cell survival via direct activation of mych expression during zebrafish gastrulation. PLoS ONE. 2014;9:e92356 pubmed publisher..We analyzed ChIP-Seq data and found that both Pou5f1 and Sox2 bind to mych and mycl1b control regions...
- Stengel R, Rivera Milla E, Sahoo N, Ebert C, Bollig F, Heinemann S, et al. Kcnh1 voltage-gated potassium channels are essential for early zebrafish development. J Biol Chem. 2012;287:35565-75 pubmed publisher..These results reveal an unanticipated basic activity of kcnh1 that is crucial for early embryonic development and patterning. ..
- Hui S, Nag T, Ghosh S. Characterization of Proliferating Neural Progenitors after Spinal Cord Injury in Adult Zebrafish. PLoS ONE. 2015;10:e0143595 pubmed publisher..have demonstrated the presence of multiple progenitors, which are different types of proliferating populations like Sox2+ neural progenitor, A2B5+ astrocyte/ glial progenitor, NG2+ oligodendrocyte progenitor, radial glia and Schwann ..
- He Y, Tang D, Li W, Chai R, Li H. Histone deacetylase 1 is required for the development of the zebrafish inner ear. Sci Rep. 2016;6:16535 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our results indicate that HDAC1 plays an important role in otic vesicle formation. ..
- Han R, Wang R, Zhao Q, Han Y, Zong S, Miao S, et al. Trim69 regulates zebrafish brain development by ap-1 pathway. Sci Rep. 2016;6:24034 pubmed publisher..Overall, our results support a role for trim69 in the development of the zebrafish brain through ap-1 pathway. ..
- Gorsuch R, Lahne M, Yarka C, Petravick M, Li J, Hyde D. Sox2 regulates Müller glia reprogramming and proliferation in the regenerating zebrafish retina via Lin28 and Ascl1a. Exp Eye Res. 2017;161:174-192 pubmed publisherb>Sox2 is a well-established neuronal stem cell-associated transcription factor that regulates neural development and adult neurogenesis in vertebrates, and is one of the critical genes used to reprogram differentiated cells into induced ..
- Soulika M, Kaushik A, Mathieu B, Lourenço R, Komisarczuk A, Romano S, et al. Diversity in cell motility reveals the dynamic nature of the formation of zebrafish taste sensory organs. Development. 2016;143:2012-24 pubmed publisher..dr17)-expressing cells into the taste bud. We propose that diversity in displacement modes of differentiating cells acts as a key mechanism for the highly dynamic process of taste bud assembly. ..
- Veil M, Schaechtle M, Gao M, Kirner V, Buryanova L, Grethen R, et al. Maternal Nanog is required for zebrafish embryo architecture and for cell viability during gastrulation. Development. 2018;145: pubmed publisher..i> Our findings suggest that maternal Nanog coordinates several gene regulatory networks that shape the embryo during gastrulation. ..
- Kim O, Cho H, Han E, Hong T, Ariyasiri K, Choi J, et al. Zebrafish knockout of Down syndrome gene, DYRK1A, shows social impairments relevant to autism. Mol Autism. 2017;8:50 pubmed publisher..These results illustrate the functional deficiency of DYRK1A as an underlying disease mechanism for autism. We also propose simple social behavioral assays as a tool for the broader study of autism candidate genes. ..
- He Y, Yu H, Sun S, Wang Y, Liu I, Chen Z, et al. Trans-2-phenylcyclopropylamine regulates zebrafish lateral line neuromast development mediated by depression of LSD1 activity. Int J Dev Biol. 2013;57:365-73 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these results indicate that LSD1 demethylase activity is required for neuromast development in zebrafish larvae. ..
- Xia W, Hu J, Liu F, Ma J, Sun S, Zhang J, et al. New role of LRP5, associated with nonsyndromic autosomal-recessive hereditary hearing loss. Hum Mutat. 2017;38:1421-1431 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, the LRP5 mutation influences cell proliferation through the Wnt signaling pathway, thereby reducing the number of supporting cells and hair cells and leading to nonsyndromic hearing loss in this Chinese family. ..
- Zhang C, Basta T, Hernandez Lagunas L, Simpson P, Stemple D, Artinger K, et al. Repression of nodal expression by maternal B1-type SOXs regulates germ layer formation in Xenopus and zebrafish. Dev Biol. 2004;273:23-37 pubmed..A mechanistically conserved system appears to act in a similar manner in the zebrafish. ..
- Yabe T, Takada S. Mesogenin causes embryonic mesoderm progenitors to differentiate during development of zebrafish tail somites. Dev Biol. 2012;370:213-22 pubmed publisher..Based on these results, we speculate that msgn1 expression in association with that of ntl may allow the differentiation of progenitor cells to proceed during development of somites in the tail...
- Tang C, Lai Y, Chen Y, Li C, Lu Y, Chen H, et al. Expression of zebrafish anterior gradient 2 in the semicircular canals and supporting cells of otic vesicle sensory patches is regulated by Sox10. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2014;1839:425-37 pubmed publisher..6 to -2.5 kbp region upstream of agr2. These results demonstrate that agr2 expression in the otic vesicles of zebrafish embryos is regulated by Sox10. ..
- Snyder J, Kearns C, Appel B. Fbxw7 regulates Notch to control specification of neural precursors for oligodendrocyte fate. Neural Dev. 2012;7:15 pubmed publisher..Notch signaling promotes glia cell formation from neural precursors in vertebrate embryos. Our data indicate that Fbxw7 helps attenuate Notch signaling during zebrafish neural development thereby limiting the number of OPCs. ..
- Kapsimali M, Kaushik A, Gibon G, Dirian L, Ernest S, Rosa F. Fgf signaling controls pharyngeal taste bud formation through miR-200 and Delta-Notch activity. Development. 2011;138:3473-84 pubmed publisher..Altogether, this study provides genetic evidence that supports a novel model where Fgf regulates Delta-Notch signaling, and subsequently miR-200 activity, in order to promote taste bud cell type differentiation. ..
- Diks S, Bink R, van de Water S, Joore J, van Rooijen C, Verbeek F, et al. The novel gene asb11: a regulator of the size of the neural progenitor compartment. J Cell Biol. 2006;174:581-92 pubmed..Knockdown of the d-Asb11 protein altered the expression of neural precursor genes sox2 and sox3 and resulted in an initial relative increase in proneural cell numbers...
- Hrubik J, Glisic B, Samardzija D, Stanic B, Pogrmic Majkic K, Fa S, et al. Effect of PMA-induced protein kinase C activation on development and apoptosis in early zebrafish embryos. Comp Biochem Physiol C Toxicol Pharmacol. 2016;190:24-31 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that direct over-activation of Pkc during early embryogenesis of zebrafish is associated with apoptosis and decreased survival rate of the embryos. ..
- Rubbini D, Robert Moreno Ã, Hoijman E, Alsina B. Retinoic Acid Signaling Mediates Hair Cell Regeneration by Repressing p27kip and sox2 in Supporting Cells. J Neurosci. 2015;35:15752-66 pubmed publisher..Moreover, in neuromast, RA pathway regulates the transcription of p27(kip) and sox2 in supporting cells but not fgf3...
- Ho S, Goh C, Gan J, Lee Y, Lam M, Hong N, et al. Derivation and long-term culture of an embryonic stem cell-like line from zebrafish blastomeres under feeder-free condition. Zebrafish. 2014;11:407-20 pubmed publisher..Using immunostaining and real-time polymerase chain reaction, we showed that Sox2, a known pluripotent marker in mammalian ES cells, was also present in ZES1 cells...
- Zhang R, Liu L, Yao Y, Fei F, Wang F, Yang Q, et al. High Resolution Imaging of DNA Methylation Dynamics using a Zebrafish Reporter. Sci Rep. 2017;7:5430 pubmed publisher..Our zebraRDM reporter therefore serves as a convenient and powerful tool for high-resolution investigation of methylation dynamics in live animals. ..
- Goto H, Kimmey S, Row R, Matus D, Martin B. FGF and canonical Wnt signaling cooperate to induce paraxial mesoderm from tailbud neuromesodermal progenitors through regulation of a two-step epithelial to mesenchymal transition. Development. 2017;144:1412-1424 pubmed publisher..FGF signaling represses the NMP markers brachyury (ntla) and sox2 through regulation of tbx16 and msgn1, thereby committing cells to a PM fate...
- Germana A, Montalbano G, Guerrera M, Amato V, Laurà R, Magnoli D, et al. Developmental changes in the expression of Sox2 in the zebrafish brain. Microsc Res Tech. 2011;74:347-54 pubmed publisher..It was demonstrated that Sox2 is expressed in repressed neural stem cells...
- Morrow Z, Maxwell A, Hoshijima K, Talbot J, Grunwald D, Amacher S. tbx6l and tbx16 are redundantly required for posterior paraxial mesoderm formation during zebrafish embryogenesis. Dev Dyn. 2017;246:759-769 pubmed publisher..Developmental Dynamics 246:759-769, 2017. © 2017 Wiley Periodicals, Inc. ..
- Shin J, Chen J, Solnica Krezel L. Efficient homologous recombination-mediated genome engineering in zebrafish using TALE nucleases. Development. 2014;141:3807-18 pubmed publisher..We generated two HR-mediated insertion alleles of sox2 and gfap loci that express either superfolder GFP (sfGFP) or tandem dimeric Tomato (tdTomato) in a spatiotemporal ..
- Kamachi Y, Okuda Y, Kondoh H. Quantitative assessment of the knockdown efficiency of morpholino antisense oligonucleotides in zebrafish embryos using a luciferase assay. Genesis. 2008;46:1-7 pubmed publisher..Our quantitative assessment method also reveals, however, that an effective and specific knockdown can be achieved when employing a strategy that takes advantage of the synergistic effect of double MOs used at low levels. ..
- Noack Watt K, Achilleos A, Neben C, Merrill A, Trainor P. The Roles of RNA Polymerase I and III Subunits Polr1c and Polr1d in Craniofacial Development and in Zebrafish Models of Treacher Collins Syndrome. PLoS Genet. 2016;12:e1006187 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, we have established polr1c and polr1d mutant zebrafish as models of Treacher Collins syndrome together with a unifying mechanism underlying its pathogenesis and possible prevention. ..
- Pavlou S, Astell K, Kasioulis I, Gakovic M, Baldock R, van Heyningen V, et al. Pleiotropic effects of Sox2 during the development of the zebrafish epithalamus. PLoS ONE. 2014;9:e87546 pubmed publisher..Using sox2 knockdown, we show here that this key transcriptional regulator has pleiotropic effects during the development of ..
- Vitorino M, Jusuf P, Maurus D, Kimura Y, Higashijima S, Harris W. Vsx2 in the zebrafish retina: restricted lineages through derepression. Neural Dev. 2009;4:14 pubmed publisher..Our data thus suggest Vsx2-positive RPCs are fully multipotent retinal progenitors and that when Vsx2 is downregulated, Vsx2-negative progenitors escape Vsx2 repression and so are able to express factors that restrict lineage potential. ..
- Kaslin J, Ganz J, Geffarth M, Grandel H, Hans S, Brand M. Stem cells in the adult zebrafish cerebellum: initiation and maintenance of a novel stem cell niche. J Neurosci. 2009;29:6142-53 pubmed publisher..Nevertheless, retained epithelial properties such as distinct polarization and ventricular contact are critical common determinants to maintain neural stem cell activity in vertebrates. ..
- Yin A, Korzh S, Winata C, Korzh V, Gong Z. Wnt signaling is required for early development of zebrafish swimbladder. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e18431 pubmed publisher..development, we first identified, by whole-mount in situ hybridization (WISH), has2 as a mesenchymal marker, sox2 as the earliest epithelial marker, as well as hprt1l and elovl1a as the earliest mesothelial markers...