Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: sox17
Description: SRY (sex determining region Y)-box 17
Alias: SRY-box 17, SRY-box containing gene 17
- Fukuda K, Kikuchi Y. Endoderm development in vertebrates: fate mapping, induction and regional specification. Dev Growth Differ. 2005;47:343-55 pubmed..We discuss the classical fate mapping of the endoderm and the more recent progress in characterizing its induction, segregation and regional specification. ..
- Aamar E, Dawid I. Sox17 and chordin are required for formation of Kupffer's vesicle and left-right asymmetry determination in zebrafish. Dev Dyn. 2010;239:2980-8 pubmed publisher..We have examined the role of the expression of sox17 and chordin (chd) in the DFC in KV formation and laterality determination...
- Caron A, Xu X, Lin X. Wnt/?-catenin signaling directly regulates Foxj1 expression and ciliogenesis in zebrafish Kupffer's vesicle. Development. 2012;139:514-24 pubmed publisher..Moreover, our results also prompt a hypothesis that certain developmental effects of the Wnt/?-catenin pathway are due to the activation of Foxj1 and cilia formation...
- Bakkers J, Kramer C, Pothof J, Quaedvlieg N, Spaink H, Hammerschmidt M. Has2 is required upstream of Rac1 to govern dorsal migration of lateral cells during zebrafish gastrulation. Development. 2004;131:525-37 pubmed..In addition, they suggest that the same HA pathways are active to auto-stimulate cell migration during tumor invasion and vertebrate embryogenesis. ..
- Reim G, Mizoguchi T, Stainier D, Kikuchi Y, Brand M. The POU domain protein spg (pou2/Oct4) is essential for endoderm formation in cooperation with the HMG domain protein casanova. Dev Cell. 2004;6:91-101 pubmed..Zebrafish endoderm differentiation starts with the activation of sox17 by casanova (cas). We report that spg (pou2/Oct4) is essential for endoderm formation...
- Jia S, Ren Z, Li X, Zheng Y, Meng A. smad2 and smad3 are required for mesendoderm induction by transforming growth factor-beta/nodal signals in zebrafish. J Biol Chem. 2008;283:2418-26 pubmed..Thus, our data reveal that Nodal signaling and mesendoderm induction depend on Smad2/3 and suggest that transforming growth factor-beta signals other than Nodal also contribute to Smad2/3 signaling and embryonic patterning. ..
- Mizoguchi T, Verkade H, Heath J, Kuroiwa A, Kikuchi Y. Sdf1/Cxcr4 signaling controls the dorsal migration of endodermal cells during zebrafish gastrulation. Development. 2008;135:2521-9 pubmed publisher..We further found, using the endoderm-specific transgenic line Tg(sox17:EGFP), that Sdf1/Cxcr4 signaling regulates both the formation and orientation of filopodial processes in ..
- Shin D, Weidinger G, Moon R, Stainier D. Intrinsic and extrinsic modifiers of the regulative capacity of the developing liver. Mech Dev. 2012;128:525-35 pubmed publisher..Altogether, these studies reveal that there is more than one way to form a liver, and provide molecular insights into the phenomenon of tissue plasticity. ..
- Schneider I, Houston D, Rebagliati M, Slusarski D. Calcium fluxes in dorsal forerunner cells antagonize beta-catenin and alter left-right patterning. Development. 2008;135:75-84 pubmed..As in zebrafish, manipulation of Ca(2+) release results in ectopic nuclear beta-catenin and altered laterality. Overall, our data support a conserved early Ca(2+) requirement in DFC-like cell function in zebrafish and Xenopus. ..
- Liu X, Xiong C, Jia S, Zhang Y, Chen Y, Wang Q, et al. Araf kinase antagonizes Nodal-Smad2 activity in mesendoderm development by directly phosphorylating the Smad2 linker region. Nat Commun. 2013;4:1728 pubmed publisher..Our findings open avenues for investigating the potential significance of Raf regulation of transforming growth factor ? signalling in versatile biological and pathological processes in the future. ..
- Hagos E, Dougan S. Time-dependent patterning of the mesoderm and endoderm by Nodal signals in zebrafish. BMC Dev Biol. 2007;7:22 pubmed
- Warga R, Kane D. One-eyed pinhead regulates cell motility independent of Squint/Cyclops signaling. Dev Biol. 2003;261:391-411 pubmed..We conclude that, in addition to a role in Nodal signaling, One-eyed pinhead is required for aspects of cell movement, possibly by regulating cell adhesion. ..
- Bisgrove B, Snarr B, Emrazian A, Yost H. Polaris and Polycystin-2 in dorsal forerunner cells and Kupffer's vesicle are required for specification of the zebrafish left-right axis. Dev Biol. 2005;287:274-88 pubmed..Our data suggest that the functions of polaris and pkd2 in LR patterning are conserved between zebrafish and mice and that Kupffer's vesicle functions as a ciliated organ of asymmetry. ..
- Poulain M, Fürthauer M, Thisse B, Thisse C, Lepage T. Zebrafish endoderm formation is regulated by combinatorial Nodal, FGF and BMP signalling. Development. 2006;133:2189-200 pubmed..of endoderm determination, and provide evidence that this phosphorylation attenuates its ability to induce sox17. These results identify a molecular mechanism whereby FGF attenuates Nodal-induced endodermal transcription ..
- Pezeron G, Mourrain P, Courty S, Ghislain J, Becker T, Rosa F, et al. Live analysis of endodermal layer formation identifies random walk as a novel gastrulation movement. Curr Biol. 2008;18:276-81 pubmed publisher..These results uncover random walk as a novel Nodal-induced gastrulation movement and as an efficient strategy to transform a localized cell group into a layer expanded over the embryo. ..
- Zhang M, Zhang J, Lin S, Meng A. ?-Catenin 1 and ?-catenin 2 play similar and distinct roles in left-right asymmetric development of zebrafish embryos. Development. 2012;139:2009-19 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our findings suggest that ctnnb1 and ctnnb2 regulate multiple processes of laterality development in zebrafish embryos through similar and distinct mechanisms. ..
- Ober E, Olofsson B, Makinen T, Jin S, Shoji W, Koh G, et al. Vegfc is required for vascular development and endoderm morphogenesis in zebrafish. EMBO Rep. 2004;5:78-84 pubmed
- Lunde K, Belting H, Driever W. Zebrafish pou5f1/pou2, homolog of mammalian Oct4, functions in the endoderm specification cascade. Curr Biol. 2004;14:48-55 pubmed..Further, MZspg mutants do not maintain expression of sox32/casanova, express little or no sox17, and fail to develop endodermal tissue...
- Kunwar P, Zimmerman S, Bennett J, Chen Y, Whitman M, Schier A. Mixer/Bon and FoxH1/Sur have overlapping and divergent roles in Nodal signaling and mesendoderm induction. Development. 2003;130:5589-99 pubmed
- Pei W, Noushmehr H, Costa J, Ouspenskaia M, Elkahloun A, Feldman B. An early requirement for maternal FoxH1 during zebrafish gastrulation. Dev Biol. 2007;310:10-22 pubmed..Our studies thus point to an essential role for maternal FoxH1 and downstream keratins during gastrulation that is epistatic to Nodal signaling. ..
- Bjornson C, Griffin K, Farr G, Terashima A, Himeda C, Kikuchi Y, et al. Eomesodermin is a localized maternal determinant required for endoderm induction in zebrafish. Dev Cell. 2005;9:523-33 pubmed..Direct physical interactions between Eomes, Bon, and Gata5 suggest that Eomes promotes endoderm induction in marginal blastomeres by facilitating the assembly of a transcriptional activating complex on the cas promoter. ..
- Shin C, Chung W, Hong S, Ober E, Verkade H, Field H, et al. Multiple roles for Med12 in vertebrate endoderm development. Dev Biol. 2008;317:467-79 pubmed publisher..Additional studies indicate that Med12 modulates the ability of Casanova/Sox32 to induce sox17 expression...
- Amack J, Wang X, Yost H. Two T-box genes play independent and cooperative roles to regulate morphogenesis of ciliated Kupffer's vesicle in zebrafish. Dev Biol. 2007;310:196-210 pubmed..By targeting morpholinos to DFCs, we show that these cell autonomous functions in KV morphogenesis are necessary for LR patterning throughout the embryo. ..
- Krens S, He S, Lamers G, Meijer A, Bakkers J, Schmidt T, et al. Distinct functions for ERK1 and ERK2 in cell migration processes during zebrafish gastrulation. Dev Biol. 2008;319:370-83 pubmed publisher..Together, our data define distinct roles for ERK1 and ERK2 in developmental cell migration processes during zebrafish embryogenesis. ..
- Yu X, Ng C, Habacher H, Roy S. Foxj1 transcription factors are master regulators of the motile ciliogenic program. Nat Genet. 2008;40:1445-53 pubmed publisher..Our findings identify a dedicated master regulatory role for Foxj1 in the transcriptional program that controls the production of motile cilia. ..
- Delous M, Yin C, Shin D, Ninov N, Debrito Carten J, Pan L, et al. Sox9b is a key regulator of pancreaticobiliary ductal system development. PLoS Genet. 2012;8:e1002754 pubmed publisher..Together, these data reveal key roles for SOX9 in the morphogenesis of the pancreaticobiliary ductal system, and they cast human Sox9 as a candidate gene for pancreaticobiliary duct malformation-related pathologies. ..
- Li Villarreal N, Forbes M, Loza A, Chen J, Ma T, Helde K, et al. Dachsous1b cadherin regulates actin and microtubule cytoskeleton during early zebrafish embryogenesis. Development. 2015;142:2704-18 pubmed publisher..Our results indicate novel roles for vertebrate Dchs in actin and microtubule cytoskeleton regulation in the unanticipated context of the single-celled embryo. ..
- Krieg M, Arboleda Estudillo Y, Puech P, Käfer J, Graner F, Muller D, et al. Tensile forces govern germ-layer organization in zebrafish. Nat Cell Biol. 2008;10:429-36 pubmed publisher..These results demonstrate a previously unrecognized role for Nodal-controlled cell-cortex tension in germ-layer organization during gastrulation...
- Londin E, Mentzer L, Sirotkin H. Churchill regulates cell movement and mesoderm specification by repressing Nodal signaling. BMC Dev Biol. 2007;7:120 pubmed..These findings reveal a dynamic role for chch in regulating cell movement and fate during early development. ..
- Neugebauer J, Cadwallader A, Amack J, Bisgrove B, Yost H. Differential roles for 3-OSTs in the regulation of cilia length and motility. Development. 2013;140:3892-902 pubmed publisher..We propose that individual 3-OST isozymes create distinct modified domains or 'glycocodes' on cell surface proteoglycans, which in turn regulate the response to diverse cell signaling pathways. ..
- Terashima A, Mudumana S, Drummond I. Odd skipped related 1 is a negative feedback regulator of nodal-induced endoderm development. Dev Dyn. 2014;243:1571-80 pubmed publisher..As such, we propose that osr1 represents a novel network motif controlling the output of Nodal signaling to regulate mesendoderm patterning. ..
- Mazmanian G, Kovshilovsky M, Yen D, Mohanty A, Mohanty S, Nee A, et al. The zebrafish dyrk1b gene is important for endoderm formation. Genesis. 2010;48:20-30 pubmed publisher..The endodermal markers cas and sox17 were also moderately reduced in dyrk1b-MO animals...
- Ahn H, Park Y, Kim S, Park H, Seo S, Yeo S, et al. The expression profile and function of Satb2 in zebrafish embryonic development. Mol Cells. 2010;30:377-82 pubmed publisher..This role may potentially be the regulation of endo-exocytic vesicle transport-dependent cell migration and/or the regulation of the development of the yolk syncytial layer. ..
- Hagos E, Fan X, Dougan S. The role of maternal Activin-like signals in zebrafish embryos. Dev Biol. 2007;309:245-58 pubmed..This contrasts with the early role for these signals during Xenopus development. ..
- Chen X, Gays D, Milia C, Santoro M. Cilia Control Vascular Mural Cell Recruitment in Vertebrates. Cell Rep. 2017;18:1033-1047 pubmed publisher..In summary, we have identified a hemodynamic-dependent mechanism in the developing vasculature that controls vMC recruitment. ..
- Gao W, Xu L, Guan R, Liu X, Han Y, Wu Q, et al. Wdr18 is required for Kupffer's vesicle formation and regulation of body asymmetry in zebrafish. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e23386 pubmed publisher..We further investigated the organization of DFCs in wdr18 morphant embryos using ntl and sox17 as specific markers and found that the clustering and migration of DFC was altered, leading to a disorganized KV...
- Gu Q, Yang X, He X, Li Q, Cui Z. Generation and characterization of a transgenic zebrafish expressing the reverse tetracycline transactivator. J Genet Genomics. 2013;40:523-31 pubmed publisher..Thus, this rtTA-transgenic zebrafish can be utilized to dissect functions of genes in a temporal manner. ..
- Neugebauer J, Amack J, Peterson A, Bisgrove B, Yost H. FGF signalling during embryo development regulates cilia length in diverse epithelia. Nature. 2009;458:651-4 pubmed publisher..We propose that a subset of developmental defects and diseases ascribed to FGF signalling are due in part to loss of cilia function. ..
- Van Boxtel A, Chesebro J, Heliot C, Ramel M, Stone R, Hill C. A Temporal Window for Signal Activation Dictates the Dimensions of a Nodal Signaling Domain. Dev Cell. 2015;35:175-85 pubmed publisher..Thus, temporal information is transformed into spatial information to define the dimensions of the Nodal signaling domain and, consequently, to specify mesendoderm. ..
- Tavares B, Jacinto R, Sampaio P, Pestana S, Pinto A, Vaz A, et al. Notch/Her12 signalling modulates, motile/immotile cilia ratio downstream of Foxj1a in zebrafish left-right organizer. elife. 2017;6: pubmed publisher..This disrupts the normal fluid flow intensity and pattern, with consequent impact on dand5 expression pattern and left-right (L-R) axis establishment. ..
- Xiao Y, Gao M, Gao L, Zhao Y, Hong Q, Li Z, et al. Directed Differentiation of Zebrafish Pluripotent Embryonic Cells to Functional Cardiomyocytes. Stem Cell Reports. 2016;7:370-382 pubmed publisher..The technology provides a new platform for the study of heart development and regeneration, in addition to drug discovery, disease modeling, and assessment of cardiotoxic agents. ..
- Muto A, Calof A, Lander A, Schilling T. Multifactorial origins of heart and gut defects in nipbl-deficient zebrafish, a model of Cornelia de Lange Syndrome. PLoS Biol. 2011;9:e1001181 pubmed publisher..revealed that, as early as gastrulation, expression of genes involved in endodermal differentiation (sox32, sox17, foxa2, and gata5) and left-right patterning (spaw, lefty2, and dnah9) is altered...
- Panizzi J, Jessen J, Drummond I, Solnica Krezel L. New functions for a vertebrate Rho guanine nucleotide exchange factor in ciliated epithelia. Development. 2007;134:921-31 pubmed..Our studies in zebrafish embryos have identified new, essential roles for this RhoGEF in ciliated epithelia during vertebrate development...
- Latimer A, Jessen J. Hgf/c-met expression and functional analysis during zebrafish embryogenesis. Dev Dyn. 2008;237:3904-15 pubmed publisher..Injection of c-met mRNA drives expression of the endodermal gene sox17. During gastrulation, hgf1 transcripts are visible in mesendodermal cells along the midline...
- Norris M, Pauli A, Gagnon J, Lord N, Rogers K, Mosimann C, et al. Toddler signaling regulates mesodermal cell migration downstream of Nodal signaling. elife. 2017;6: pubmed publisher..These results suggest that Toddler signaling regulates mesodermal cell migration downstream of Nodal signaling and indirectly affects endodermal cell migration via Cxcr4a-signaling. ..
- Kobayashi D, Jindo T, Naruse K, Takeda H. Development of the endoderm and gut in medaka, Oryzias latipes. Dev Growth Differ. 2006;48:283-95 pubmed..The markers used in these analyses included sox17, sox32, foxA2, gata-4, -5, -6 and shh...
- Liu X, Ning G, Meng A, Wang Q. MicroRNA-206 regulates cell movements during zebrafish gastrulation by targeting prickle1a and regulating c-Jun N-terminal kinase 2 phosphorylation. Mol Cell Biol. 2012;32:2934-42 pubmed publisher..Therefore, mir206 is an essential, novel regulator for normal convergent and extension movements by regulating mitogen-activated protein kinase (MAPK) JNK signaling. ..
- Brown J, Snir M, Noushmehr H, Kirby M, Hong S, Elkahloun A, et al. Transcriptional profiling of endogenous germ layer precursor cells identifies dusp4 as an essential gene in zebrafish endoderm specification. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2008;105:12337-42 pubmed publisher..Marker analysis during late gastrulation revealed a specific loss of sox17, but not of other endoderm markers, and analysis at later stages revealed a loss of foregut and pancreatic ..
- Serafimidis I, Heximer S, Beis D, Gavalas A. G protein-coupled receptor signaling and sphingosine-1-phosphate play a phylogenetically conserved role in endocrine pancreas morphogenesis. Mol Cell Biol. 2011;31:4442-53 pubmed publisher..Finally, we identified sphingosine-1-phosphate (S1P) as a ligand mediating islet cell aggregation in both species acting through distinct but closely related receptors. ..
- Chung M, Ma A, Fung T, Leung A. Characterization of Sry-related HMG box group F genes in zebrafish hematopoiesis. Exp Hematol. 2011;39:986-998.e5 pubmed publisher..Embryo patterning and vascular development were analyzed. All members, except sox17, contained a putative ?-catenin binding site. sox7 and 18 expressed primarily in the vasculature...
- Kawahara A, Nishi T, Hisano Y, Fukui H, Yamaguchi A, Mochizuki N. The sphingolipid transporter spns2 functions in migration of zebrafish myocardial precursors. Science. 2009;323:524-7 pubmed publisher..Thus, Spns2 in the YSL functions as a S1P transporter in S1P secretion, thereby regulating myocardial precursor migration. ..
- Putiri E, Pelegri F. The zebrafish maternal-effect gene mission impossible encodes the DEAH-box helicase Dhx16 and is essential for the expression of downstream endodermal genes. Dev Biol. 2011;353:275-89 pubmed publisher..of early zygotic genes, but is essential to implement nodal activity downstream of casanova/sox 32 but upstream of sox17 expression...
- Wei S, Ning G, Li L, Yan Y, Yang S, Cao Y, et al. A GEF activity-independent function for nuclear Net1 in Nodal signal transduction and mesendoderm formation. J Cell Sci. 2017;130:3072-3082 pubmed publisher..These findings describe a novel genetic mechanism by which nuclear Net1 facilitates Smad2 transcriptional activity to guide mesendoderm development. ..
- Zhang J, Jiang Z, Liu X, Meng A. Eph/ephrin signaling maintains the boundary of dorsal forerunner cell cluster during morphogenesis of the zebrafish embryonic left-right organizer. Development. 2016;143:2603-15 pubmed publisher..Therefore, our data uncover an important role of Eph/ephrin signaling in maintaining DFC cluster boundary and KV boundary for normal left-right asymmetrical development. ..
- Zhao J, Lambert G, Meijer A, Rosa F. The transcription factor Vox represses endoderm development by interacting with Casanova and Pou2. Development. 2013;140:1090-9 pubmed publisher..Cell fate analysis further shows that Vox plays a key role downstream of BMP signals in regulating the capacity of Nodal to induce endoderm versus mesoderm by modulating the activity of the Casanova/Pou2 regulatory system. ..
- Wong T, Collodi P. Dorsomorphin promotes survival and germline competence of zebrafish spermatogonial stem cells in culture. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e71332 pubmed publisher..to express the germ-cell markers dazl, dnd, nanos3, vasa and piwil1 and the spermatogonial markers plzf and sox17 for at least six weeks in culture...
- Kikuchi Y, Verkade H, Reiter J, Kim C, Chitnis A, Kuroiwa A, et al. Notch signaling can regulate endoderm formation in zebrafish. Dev Dyn. 2004;229:756-62 pubmed..Activation of Notch signaling from an early stage leads to a reduction of endodermal cells, as assessed by sox17 and foxA2 expression...
- Coyle R, Latimer A, Jessen J. Membrane-type 1 matrix metalloproteinase regulates cell migration during zebrafish gastrulation: evidence for an interaction with non-canonical Wnt signaling. Exp Cell Res. 2008;314:2150-62 pubmed publisher..Together, our results support the notion that pathways regulating pericellular proteolysis and cell polarity converge to promote efficient cell migration. ..
- Mishima Y, Tomari Y. Codon Usage and 3' UTR Length Determine Maternal mRNA Stability in Zebrafish. Mol Cell. 2016;61:874-85 pubmed publisher..Our study thus highlights the codon-mediated mRNA decay as a conserved regulatory mechanism in eukaryotes. ..
- Haffner C, Frauli M, Topp S, Irmler M, Hofmann K, Regula J, et al. Nicalin and its binding partner Nomo are novel Nodal signaling antagonists. EMBO J. 2004;23:3041-50 pubmed..Our data demonstrate that the Nicalin/Nomo complex antagonizes Nodal signaling during mesendodermal patterning in zebrafish. ..
- Cadwalader E, Condic M, Yost H. 2-O-sulfotransferase regulates Wnt signaling, cell adhesion and cell cycle during zebrafish epiboly. Development. 2012;139:1296-305 pubmed publisher..Together, these results indicate that 2-OST functions within the Wnt pathway, downstream of Wnt ligand signaling and upstream of Gsk3? and ?-catenin intracellular localization and function. ..
- Arrington C, Peterson A, Yost H. Sdc2 and Tbx16 regulate Fgf2-dependent epithelial cell morphogenesis in the ciliated organ of asymmetry. Development. 2013;140:4102-9 pubmed publisher..Through an Fgf2-independent pathway, Sdc2 and Tbx16 also control KV ciliogenesis. Our results uncover a novel Sdc2-Tbx16-Fgf2 pathway that regulates epithelial cell morphogenesis...
- Goessling W, North T, Lord A, Ceol C, Lee S, Weidinger G, et al. APC mutant zebrafish uncover a changing temporal requirement for wnt signaling in liver development. Dev Biol. 2008;320:161-74 pubmed publisher..These studies reveal an important and time-dependent role for wnt signaling during liver development and regeneration. ..
- Wilkins S, Yoong S, Verkade H, Mizoguchi T, Plowman S, Hancock J, et al. Mtx2 directs zebrafish morphogenetic movements during epiboly by regulating microfilament formation. Dev Biol. 2008;314:12-22 pubmed..Using a transgenic sox17-promoter driven EGFP line, we show that Mtx2 is not required for endoderm specification but is required for ..
- Cox A, Tsomides A, Kim A, Saunders D, Hwang K, Evason K, et al. Selenoprotein H is an essential regulator of redox homeostasis that cooperates with p53 in development and tumorigenesis. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2016;113:E5562-71 pubmed publisher..Overall, our findings establish that seph regulates redox homeostasis and suppresses DNA damage. We hypothesize that SepH deficiency may contribute to the increased cancer risk observed in cohorts with low selenium levels. ..
- Slagle C, Aoki T, Burdine R. Nodal-dependent mesendoderm specification requires the combinatorial activities of FoxH1 and Eomesodermin. PLoS Genet. 2011;7:e1002072 pubmed publisher..Our findings also offer novel insights into the co-evolution of the Nodal signaling pathway, the notochord specification program, and the chordate branch of the deuterostome family of animals. ..
- Moro E, Tomanin R, Friso A, Modena N, Tiso N, Scarpa M, et al. A novel functional role of iduronate-2-sulfatase in zebrafish early development. Matrix Biol. 2010;29:43-50 pubmed publisher..Our results provide an insight into the early biological impairments underlying the Hunter syndrome and suggest the use of zebrafish as a novel tool to better understand lysosomal storage disorder pathogenesis...
- Domenichini A, Dadda M, Facchin L, Bisazza A, Argenton F. Isolation and genetic characterization of mother-of-snow-white, a maternal effect allele affecting laterality and lateralized behaviors in zebrafish. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e25972 pubmed publisher..As maternal effect genes are expected to evolve more rapidly when compared to zygotic ones, our results highlight the driving force of maternal effect alleles in the evolution of vertebrates behaviors. ..
- Chng S, Ho L, Tian J, Reversade B. ELABELA: a hormone essential for heart development signals via the apelin receptor. Dev Cell. 2013;27:672-80 pubmed publisher..ela null embryos have impaired endoderm differentiation potential marked by reduced gata5 and sox17 expression...