Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: sox10
Description: SRY (sex determining region Y)-box 10
Alias: cls/sox10, zgc:100757, transcription factor SOX-10, SRY-box containing gene 10, cls, colorless, colourless, colourless/sox10, golas, gos, sox10b
- Lewis J, Bonner J, Modrell M, Ragland J, Moon R, Dorsky R, et al. Reiterated Wnt signaling during zebrafish neural crest development. Development. 2004;131:1299-308 pubmed..Taken together, these results demonstrate that Wnt signals are critical for the initial induction of zebrafish neural crest and suggest that this signaling pathway plays reiterated roles in its development. ..
- Takada N, Kucenas S, Appel B. Sox10 is necessary for oligodendrocyte survival following axon wrapping. Glia. 2010;58:996-1006 pubmed publisher..Genetic studies in mice indicated that the Sox10 transcription factor is required during the differentiation stage to promote myelin gene expression...
- Arduini B, Bosse K, Henion P. Genetic ablation of neural crest cell diversification. Development. 2009;136:1987-94 pubmed publisher..the failure of neural crest cell diversification in double mutants is accompanied by the absence of neural crest sox10 and sox9a/b gene expression, and that forced expression of sox10 and sox9a/b differentially rescues neural crest ..
- Park H, Appel B. Delta-Notch signaling regulates oligodendrocyte specification. Development. 2003;130:3747-55 pubmed..Our data provide evidence that Notch signaling maintains subsets of ventral spinal cord precursors during neuronal birth and, acting with other temporally and spatially restricted factors, specifies them for oligodendrocyte fate. ..
- Hou L, Arnheiter H, Pavan W. Interspecies difference in the regulation of melanocyte development by SOX10 and MITF. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2006;103:9081-5 pubmed..In both zebrafish and mice, one transcription factor, SOX10, controls the expression of another, MITF (microphthalmia-associated transcription factor), which in turn ..
- Kucenas S, Wang W, Knapik E, Appel B. A selective glial barrier at motor axon exit points prevents oligodendrocyte migration from the spinal cord. J Neurosci. 2009;29:15187-94 pubmed publisher..These studies reveal that distinct mechanisms regulate the movement of axons, neurons, and glial cells across the CNS-PNS interface. ..
- Kucenas S, Snell H, Appel B. nkx2.2a promotes specification and differentiation of a myelinating subset of oligodendrocyte lineage cells in zebrafish. Neuron Glia Biol. 2008;4:71-81 pubmed publisher..We conclude that Nkx2.2 promotes timely specification and differentiation of myelinating oligodendrocyte lineage cells from species representing different vertebrate taxa. ..
- Park H, Shin J, Roberts R, Appel B. An olig2 reporter gene marks oligodendrocyte precursors in the postembryonic spinal cord of zebrafish. Dev Dyn. 2007;236:3402-7 pubmed..olig2(+) radial glia have hallmarks of stem cells and their divisions appear to be asymmetric, producing new oligodendrocytes but not neurons or astrocytes. ..
- Budi E, Patterson L, Parichy D. Embryonic requirements for ErbB signaling in neural crest development and adult pigment pattern formation. Development. 2008;135:2603-14 pubmed publisher..These data identify a very early, embryonic, requirement for erbb3b in the development of much later metamorphic melanophores, and suggest complex modes by which ErbB signals promote adult pigment pattern development...
- Phillips B, Kwon H, Melton C, Houghtaling P, Fritz A, Riley B. Zebrafish msxB, msxC and msxE function together to refine the neural-nonneural border and regulate cranial placodes and neural crest development. Dev Biol. 2006;294:376-90 pubmed..These data suggest that mutual antagonism between Msx and Dlx proteins achieves a balance of function required for normal preplacodal differentiation and placement of the neural-nonneural border. ..
- Park H, Boyce J, Shin J, Appel B. Oligodendrocyte specification in zebrafish requires notch-regulated cyclin-dependent kinase inhibitor function. J Neurosci. 2005;25:6836-44 pubmed
- Tallafuss A, Gibson D, Morcos P, Li Y, Seredick S, Eisen J, et al. Turning gene function ON and OFF using sense and antisense photo-morpholinos in zebrafish. Development. 2012;139:1691-9 pubmed publisher..In another example, we follow and analyze neural crest cells that regained sox10 function after deactivation of a photo-cleavable sox10-MO at different time points...
- Lister J, Cooper C, Nguyen K, Modrell M, Grant K, Raible D. Zebrafish Foxd3 is required for development of a subset of neural crest derivatives. Dev Biol. 2006;290:92-104 pubmed
- Li W, Cornell R. Redundant activities of Tfap2a and Tfap2c are required for neural crest induction and development of other non-neural ectoderm derivatives in zebrafish embryos. Dev Biol. 2007;304:338-54 pubmed
- Reyes R, Haendel M, Grant D, Melancon E, Eisen J. Slow degeneration of zebrafish Rohon-Beard neurons during programmed cell death. Dev Dyn. 2004;229:30-41 pubmed..Developmental Dynamics 229:30-41,2004. ..
- Kelsh R, Brand M, Jiang Y, Heisenberg C, Lin S, Haffter P, et al. Zebrafish pigmentation mutations and the processes of neural crest development. Development. 1996;123:369-89 pubmed..In combination with the embryological advantages of zebrafish, these mutations should permit cellular and molecular dissection of many aspects of neural crest development...
- Binari L, Lewis G, Kucenas S. Perineurial glia require Notch signaling during motor nerve development but not regeneration. J Neurosci. 2013;33:4241-52 pubmed publisher..These studies describe a novel mechanism that mediates multiple aspects of perineurial development and reveal the critical importance of perineurial glia for Schwann cell maturation and nerve formation. ..
- McGraw H, Nechiporuk A, Raible D. Zebrafish dorsal root ganglia neural precursor cells adopt a glial fate in the absence of neurogenin1. J Neurosci. 2008;28:12558-69 pubmed publisher..Neurog1 acts as the key factor in this lineage to direct the formation of sensory neurons. ..
- Curran K, Lister J, Kunkel G, Prendergast A, Parichy D, Raible D. Interplay between Foxd3 and Mitf regulates cell fate plasticity in the zebrafish neural crest. Dev Biol. 2010;344:107-18 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our data reveal a Foxd3/mitfa transcriptional switch that governs whether a bi-potent pigment precursor will attain either an iridophore or a melanophore fate. ..
- Ragland J, Raible D. Signals derived from the underlying mesoderm are dispensable for zebrafish neural crest induction. Dev Biol. 2004;276:16-30 pubmed
- Rau M, Fischer S, Neumann C. Zebrafish Trap230/Med12 is required as a coactivator for Sox9-dependent neural crest, cartilage and ear development. Dev Biol. 2006;296:83-93 pubmed..Mediator is a coactivator complex transducing the interaction of DNA-binding transcription factors with RNA polymerase II, and our results reveal a critical function of the Trap230 subunit as a coactivator for Sox9. ..
- Whitlock K, Smith K, Kim H, Harden M. A role for foxd3 and sox10 in the differentiation of gonadotropin-releasing hormone (GnRH) cells in the zebrafish Danio rerio. Development. 2005;132:5491-502 pubmed..We demonstrate that decrement of the function of foxd3 and/or sox10, two genes important for the development and specification of neural crest, resulted in a reduction and/or loss of ..
- Kucenas S, Takada N, Park H, Woodruff E, Broadie K, Appel B. CNS-derived glia ensheath peripheral nerves and mediate motor root development. Nat Neurosci. 2008;11:143-51 pubmed publisher..These insights reveal a new class of CNS-born glia that critically contributes to motor nerve development. ..
- ROSENBERG A, Wolman M, Franzini Armstrong C, Granato M. In vivo nerve-macrophage interactions following peripheral nerve injury. J Neurosci. 2012;32:3898-909 pubmed publisher..Thus, live cell imaging defines novel cellular and functional interactions between injured nerves and immune cells. ..
- Montero Balaguer M, Lang M, Sachdev S, Knappmeyer C, Stewart R, De La Guardia A, et al. The mother superior mutation ablates foxd3 activity in neural crest progenitor cells and depletes neural crest derivatives in zebrafish. Dev Dyn. 2006;235:3199-212 pubmed..The loss of derivatives is preceded by a reduction in NC-expressed transcription factors, snail1b, sox9b, sox10, and a specific loss of foxd3 expression in NC progenitor cells...
- Zannino D, Appel B. Olig2+ precursors produce abducens motor neurons and oligodendrocytes in the zebrafish hindbrain. J Neurosci. 2009;29:2322-33 pubmed publisher..These studies, therefore, reveal both common and independent roles for olig2 in development of somatic motor neurons and oligodendrocytes of the hindbrain. ..
- Park H, Shin J, Appel B. Spatial and temporal regulation of ventral spinal cord precursor specification by Hedgehog signaling. Development. 2004;131:5959-69 pubmed..Our studies show that spatial and temporal differences in Hh signaling within a common population of neural precursors can contribute to cell fate diversification. ..
- Buckley C, Marguerie A, Alderton W, Franklin R. Temporal dynamics of myelination in the zebrafish spinal cord. Glia. 2010;58:802-12 pubmed publisher..This study confirms the use of the zebrafish larvae as a versatile and efficient in vivo model of myelination and provides a platform on which future myelination screening studies can be based. ..
- Antonellis A, Huynh J, Lee Lin S, Vinton R, Renaud G, Loftus S, et al. Identification of neural crest and glial enhancers at the mouse Sox10 locus through transgenesis in zebrafish. PLoS Genet. 2008;4:e1000174 pubmed publisherb>Sox10 is a dynamically regulated transcription factor gene that is essential for the development of neural crest-derived and oligodendroglial populations...
- BIRKHOLZ D, OLESNICKY KILLIAN E, George K, Artinger K. Prdm1a is necessary for posterior pharyngeal arch development in zebrafish. Dev Dyn. 2009;238:2575-87 pubmed publisher..Together, these results indicate an essential role for prdm1a in the development of the zebrafish craniofacial skeleton...
- Dutton K, Pauliny A, Lopes S, Elworthy S, Carney T, Rauch J, et al. Zebrafish colourless encodes sox10 and specifies non-ectomesenchymal neural crest fates. Development. 2001;128:4113-25 pubmed..We have analysed a zebrafish Waardenburg-Shah syndrome model. We show that the colourless gene encodes a sox10 homologue, identify sox10 lesions in mutant alleles and rescue the mutant phenotype by ..
- Yan Y, Willoughby J, Liu D, Crump J, Wilson C, Miller C, et al. A pair of Sox: distinct and overlapping functions of zebrafish sox9 co-orthologs in craniofacial and pectoral fin development. Development. 2005;132:1069-83 pubmed..injected with sox9a and sox9b mRNAs showed that sox9 helps regulate other early crest genes, including foxd3, sox10, snai1b and crestin, as well as the cartilage gene col2a1 and the bone gene runx2a; however, tfap2a was nearly ..
- Monk K, Naylor S, Glenn T, Mercurio S, Perlin J, Dominguez C, et al. A G protein-coupled receptor is essential for Schwann cells to initiate myelination. Science. 2009;325:1402-5 pubmed publisher..We propose that Gpr126 drives the differentiation of promyelinating Schwann cells by elevating cAMP levels, thereby triggering Oct6 expression and myelination. ..
- Ignatius M, Moose H, El Hodiri H, Henion P. colgate/hdac1 Repression of foxd3 expression is required to permit mitfa-dependent melanogenesis. Dev Biol. 2008;313:568-83 pubmed
- Drerup C, Wiora H, Topczewski J, Morris J. Disc1 regulates foxd3 and sox10 expression, affecting neural crest migration and differentiation. Development. 2009;136:2623-32 pubmed publisher..migrate away from the neural rod correlated with the enhanced expression of two transcription factors, foxd3 and sox10. These transcription factors have many functions in CNC cells, including the maintenance of precursor pools, ..
- Minchin J, Hughes S. Sequential actions of Pax3 and Pax7 drive xanthophore development in zebrafish neural crest. Dev Biol. 2008;317:508-22 pubmed publisher..Therefore, Pax3 in zebrafish is required for specification of two specific lineages of neural crest, xanthophores and enteric neurons. ..
- Berndt J, Clay M, Langenberg T, Halloran M. Rho-kinase and myosin II affect dynamic neural crest cell behaviors during epithelial to mesenchymal transition in vivo. Dev Biol. 2008;324:236-44 pubmed publisher..These data reveal roles for myosin II and ROCK in NCC EMT in vivo, and provide a detailed characterization of NCC behavior during EMT that will form a basis for further mechanistic studies. ..
- Larson T, Gordon T, Lau H, Parichy D. Defective adult oligodendrocyte and Schwann cell development, pigment pattern, and craniofacial morphology in puma mutant zebrafish having an alpha tubulin mutation. Dev Biol. 2010;346:296-309 pubmed publisher..This study identifies the puma mutant as a valuable model for studying microtubule-dependent events of myelination, as well as strategies for remyelination in the adult. ..
- Carney T, Dutton K, Greenhill E, Delfino Machin M, Dufourcq P, Blader P, et al. A direct role for Sox10 in specification of neural crest-derived sensory neurons. Development. 2006;133:4619-30 pubmedb>sox10 is necessary for development of neural and pigment cell derivatives of the neural crest (NC)...
- Cunliffe V, Casaccia Bonnefil P. Histone deacetylase 1 is essential for oligodendrocyte specification in the zebrafish CNS. Mech Dev. 2006;123:24-30 pubmed..2a in these cells, leading to expression of sox10 and subsequent differentiation of oligodendrocytes...
- Barrallo Gimeno A, Holzschuh J, Driever W, Knapik E. Neural crest survival and differentiation in zebrafish depends on mont blanc/tfap2a gene function. Development. 2004;131:1463-77 pubmed..mutant embryos, as revealed by normal expression of early neural crest specific genes such as snail2, foxd3 and sox10. In addition, the initial stages of cranial neural crest migration appear undisturbed, while at a later phase the ..
- Lyons D, Pogoda H, Voas M, Woods I, Diamond B, Nix R, et al. erbb3 and erbb2 are essential for schwann cell migration and myelination in zebrafish. Curr Biol. 2005;15:513-24 pubmed..These results provide in vivo evidence that Neuregulin-ErbB signaling is essential for directed Schwann cell migration and demonstrate that this pathway is also required for the onset of myelination in postmigratory Schwann cells. ..
- Elworthy S, Pinto J, Pettifer A, Cancela M, Kelsh R. Phox2b function in the enteric nervous system is conserved in zebrafish and is sox10-dependent. Mech Dev. 2005;122:659-69 pubmedZebrafish lacking functional sox10 have defects in non-ectomesenchymal neural crest derivatives including the enteric nervous system (ENS) and as such provide an animal model for human Waardenburg Syndrome IV...
- Harden M, Pereiro L, Ramialison M, Wittbrodt J, Prasad M, McCallion A, et al. Close association of olfactory placode precursors and cranial neural crest cells does not predestine cell mixing. Dev Dyn. 2012;241:1143-54 pubmed publisher..We generated a six4b:mCherry line (OP precursors) that, with a sox10:EGFP line (CNCCs), was used to follow cell migration...
- Kelsh R, Eisen J. The zebrafish colourless gene regulates development of non-ectomesenchymal neural crest derivatives. Development. 2000;127:515-25 pubmed..Here we show that zebrafish embryos with mutations in the colourless gene have severe defects in most crest-derived cell types, including pigment cells, neurons and specific glia...
- Pogoda H, Sternheim N, Lyons D, Diamond B, Hawkins T, Woods I, et al. A genetic screen identifies genes essential for development of myelinated axons in zebrafish. Dev Biol. 2006;298:118-31 pubmed..The analysis of these mutations will advance our understanding of myelination, and the mutants will serve as models of human diseases of myelin. ..
- Dutton J, Antonellis A, Carney T, Rodrigues F, Pavan W, Ward A, et al. An evolutionarily conserved intronic region controls the spatiotemporal expression of the transcription factor Sox10. BMC Dev Biol. 2008;8:105 pubmed publisherA major challenge lies in understanding the complexities of gene regulation. Mutation of the transcription factor SOX10 is associated with several human diseases...
- O Brien E, d Alençon C, Bonde G, Li W, Schoenebeck J, Allende M, et al. Transcription factor Ap-2alpha is necessary for development of embryonic melanophores, autonomic neurons and pharyngeal skeleton in zebrafish. Dev Biol. 2004;265:246-61 pubmed..These results reveal that Ap-2alpha regulates multiple steps of melanophore development, and is required for development of other neuronal and non-neuronal neural crest derivatives...
- Choe C, Collazo A, Trinh L, Pan L, Moens C, Crump J. Wnt-dependent epithelial transitions drive pharyngeal pouch formation. Dev Cell. 2013;24:296-309 pubmed publisher..We propose that this dynamic control of epithelial morphology by Wnt signaling may be a common theme for the budding of organ anlagen from the endoderm. ..