Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: sod2
Description: superoxide dismutase 2, mitochondrial
Alias: cb463, wu:fj33b01, zgc:73051, superoxide dismutase [Mn], mitochondrial, Mn-SOD, manganese superoxide dismutase, sod(Mn)
- Knecht A, Goodale B, Truong L, Simonich M, Swanson A, Matzke M, et al. Comparative developmental toxicity of environmentally relevant oxygenated PAHs. Toxicol Appl Pharmacol. 2013;271:266-75 pubmed publisher..Comprehensive in vivo characterization of 38 structurally diverse OPAHs indicated differential AHR dependency and a prominent role for oxidative stress in the toxicity mechanisms...
- De Felice B, Copia L, Guida M. Gene expression profiling in zebrafish embryos exposed to diclofenac, an environmental toxicant. Mol Biol Rep. 2012;39:2119-28 pubmed publisher..Our results, for the first time, provide an insight into some of the varied and novel molecular networks following zebrafish exposure to diclofenac polluted waters. ..
- Parolini M, Ghilardi A, Della Torre C, Magni S, Prosperi L, Calvagno M, et al. Environmental concentrations of cocaine and its main metabolites modulated antioxidant response and caused cyto-genotoxic effects in zebrafish embryo cells. Environ Pollut. 2017;226:504-514 pubmed publisher..Our data confirmed the potential toxicity of environmental concentrations of COC, BE, and EME, suggesting the need of further in-depth studies to shed light on their MoA and long-term toxicity towards non-target aquatic species. ..
- Na Y, Seok S, Baek M, Lee H, Kim D, Park S, et al. Protective effects of vitamin E against 3,3',4,4',5-pentachlorobiphenyl (PCB126) induced toxicity in zebrafish embryos. Ecotoxicol Environ Saf. 2009;72:714-9 pubmed publisher..These data give insights into the use of vitamin E to reduce PCB126-mediated toxicity and into the use of zebrafish embryos for exploring mechanisms underlying the oxidative potential of AHR agonists. ..
- GentÃ¨s S, Maury Brachet R, Feng C, Pedrero Z, Tessier E, Legeay A, et al. Specific Effects of Dietary Methylmercury and Inorganic Mercury in Zebrafish (Danio rerio) Determined by Genetic, Histological, and Metallothionein Responses. Environ Sci Technol. 2015;49:14560-9 pubmed publisher..In brain, high MeHg and iHg concentrations induced metallothionein production. Finally, the importance of the fish origin in ecotoxicological studies, here the seventh descent of a zebrafish line, is discussed. ..
- da Rosa C, Figueiredo M, Lanes C, Almeida D, Marins L. Genotype-dependent gene expression profile of the antioxidant defense system (ADS) in the liver of a GH-transgenic zebrafish model. Transgenic Res. 2011;20:85-9 pubmed publisher..The GH-transgenic zebrafish model used here seems to be an interesting tool for analyzing the effect of different GH expression levels on physiological processes. ..
- Van Tiem L, Di Giulio R. AHR2 knockdown prevents PAH-mediated cardiac toxicity and XRE- and ARE-associated gene induction in zebrafish (Danio rerio). Toxicol Appl Pharmacol. 2011;254:280-7 pubmed publisher..These results further show the protective role of AHR2 knockdown against cardiotoxic PAHs and the role of AHR2 as a mediator of redox-responsive gene induction. ..
- Liu H, Sheng N, Zhang W, Dai J. Toxic effects of perfluorononanoic acid on the development of Zebrafish (Danio rerio) embryos. J Environ Sci (China). 2015;32:26-34 pubmed publisher..However, the mRNA expression levels of both ppara and pparg did not show any significant variation after exposure. These findings suggest that PFNA affected the development of zebrafish embryos at relatively low concentrations. ..
- Jin Y, Liu Z, Liu F, Ye Y, Peng T, Fu Z. Embryonic exposure to cadmium (II) and chromium (VI) induce behavioral alterations, oxidative stress and immunotoxicity in zebrafish (Danio rerio). Neurotoxicol Teratol. 2015;48:9-17 pubmed publisher..Our results suggested that Cd and Cr have the potential to cause behavior alterations, oxidative stress and immunotoxicity in the larval zebrafish. ..
- Zhang J, Laurence Souders C, Denslow N, Martyniuk C. Quercetin, a natural product supplement, impairs mitochondrial bioenergetics and locomotor behavior in larval zebrafish (Danio rerio). Toxicol Appl Pharmacol. 2017;327:30-38 pubmed publisher..Our data support the hypothesis that quercetin may affect locomotion and induce deformities in zebrafish larvae by diminishing ATP production and by altering the expression of transcripts related to muscle formation and activity. ..
- Rola R, Marins L, Nery L, da Rosa C, Sandrini J. Responses to ROS inducer agents in zebrafish cell line: differences between copper and UV-B radiation. Fish Physiol Biochem. 2014;40:1817-25 pubmed publisher..significantly increased levels of intracellular ROS and mRNA of both superoxide dismutase isoforms (sod1 and sod2), three glutathione S-transferase isoforms (gstÎ±, gstÂµ and gstÏ€) and a heat shock protein (hsp70)...
- Ikebuchi M, Takeuchi K, Yamane T, Ogikubo O, Maeda T, Kimura H, et al. Primary structure and properties of Mn-superoxide dismutase from scallop adductor muscle. Int J Biochem Cell Biol. 2006;38:521-32 pubmed..The overall structure of scallop adductor muscle manganese-superoxide dismutase was very similar to those of other species, including human and Aspergillus. ..
- Arnold M, Forte J, Osterberg J, Di Giulio R. Antioxidant Rescue of Selenomethionine-Induced Teratogenesis in Zebrafish Embryos. Arch Environ Contam Toxicol. 2016;70:311-20 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that aqueous exposure to SeMet can induce significant embryonic teratogenesis in zebrafish that are at least partially attributed to oxidative stress. ..
- Díaz Casado M, Lima E, Garcia J, Doerrier C, Aranda P, Sayed R, et al. Melatonin rescues zebrafish embryos from the parkinsonian phenotype restoring the parkin/PINK1/DJ-1/MUL1 network. J Pineal Res. 2016;61:96-107 pubmed publisher..The results show, for the first time, that melatonin restores brain function in zebrafish suffering with Parkinson-like disease. ..
- Gonzalez P, Dominique Y, Massabuau J, Boudou A, Bourdineaud J. Comparative effects of dietary methylmercury on gene expression in liver, skeletal muscle, and brain of the zebrafish (Danio rerio). Environ Sci Technol. 2005;39:3972-80 pubmed..The expression of the metallothionein mt2 and the DNA repair rad51 genes was up-regulated in liver between 21 and 63 days, whereas in skeletal muscle, mt2 remained uninduced, and gadd and rad51 were found to be repressed. ..
- Lin C, Tseng W, Hsiao N, Chang H, Ken C. Characterization, molecular modelling and developmental expression of zebrafish manganese superoxide dismutase. Fish Shellfish Immunol. 2009;27:318-24 pubmed publisherA 977 bp cDNA containing an open reading frame encoding 224 amino acid residues of manganese superoxide dismutase was cloned from zebrafish (zMn-SOD)...
- Lerebours A, Gonzalez P, Adam C, Camilleri V, Bourdineaud J, Garnier Laplace J. Comparative analysis of gene expression in brain, liver, skeletal muscles, and gills of zebrafish (Danio rerio) exposed to environmentally relevant waterborne uranium concentrations. Environ Toxicol Chem. 2009;28:1271-8 pubmed publisher..In gills, at the highest uranium concentration, gpx1a, cat1, sod1, and sod2 genes were up-regulated at day 21, indicating the onset of an oxidative stress...
- Si J, Zhang H, Wang Z, Wu Z, Lu J, Di C, et al. Effects of (12)C(6+) ion radiation and ferulic acid on the zebrafish (Danio rerio) embryonic oxidative stress response and gene expression. Mutat Res. 2013;745-746:26-33 pubmed publisher..Overall, this study provided helpful information about the transcriptional effects of irradiation to better understand the mechanism of carbon ion-induced oxidative stress and FA-induced radioprotective effects. ..
- Cai G, Zhu J, Shen C, Cui Y, Du J, Chen X. The effects of cobalt on the development, oxidative stress, and apoptosis in zebrafish embryos. Biol Trace Elem Res. 2012;150:200-7 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that oxidative stress and apoptosis are associated with cobalt toxicity in zebrafish embryos. ..
- Perrichon P, Akcha F, Le Menach K, Goubeau M, Budzinski H, Cousin X, et al. Parental trophic exposure to three aromatic fractions of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons in the zebrafish: Consequences for the offspring. Sci Total Environ. 2015;524-525:52-62 pubmed publisher..The disruptions observed at the individual level in the next generation could impact on the longer-term, surviving population. ..
- Cobbina S, Xu H, Zhao T, Mao G, Zhou Z, Wu X, et al. A multivariate assessment of innate immune-related gene expressions due to exposure to low concentration individual and mixtures of four kinds of heavy metals on zebrafish (Danio rerio) embryos. Fish Shellfish Immunol. 2015;47:1032-42 pubmed publisher..It is indicative that mechanisms associated with toxicity of metal mixtures is complex, however, further studies to elucidate them are ongoing in our research laboratory. ..
- Orieux N, Cambier S, Gonzalez P, Morin B, Adam C, Garnier Laplace J, et al. Genotoxic damages in zebrafish submitted to a polymetallic gradient displayed by the Lot River (France). Ecotoxicol Environ Saf. 2011;74:974-83 pubmed publisher..The 8-oxodG quantification was not sensitive enough to be used in zebrafish under these environmental conditions. ..
- Yang Y, Ye X, He B, Liu J. Cadmium potentiates toxicity of cypermethrin in zebrafish. Environ Toxicol Chem. 2016;35:435-45 pubmed publisher..The authors' findings provide a deeper understanding of the mechanistic basis accounting for the joint toxicity of cypermethrin and Cd. ..
- Wang Y, Wu S, Chen J, Zhang C, Xu Z, Li G, et al. Single and joint toxicity assessment of four currently used pesticides to zebrafish (Danio rerio) using traditional and molecular endpoints. Chemosphere. 2018;192:14-23 pubmed publisher..Taken together, increased toxicity might be triggered by the simultaneous presence of several pesticides in the aquatic environment, which seriously damaged the non-target organisms...
- Su Y, Chiu H, Hung J, Hong J. Beta-nodavirus B2 protein induces hydrogen peroxide production, leading to Drp1-recruited mitochondrial fragmentation and cell death via mitochondrial targeting. Apoptosis. 2014;19:1457-70 pubmed publisher..Increased oxidative stress, as evidenced by the up-regulation of Mn SOD, catalase, and Nrf2, was also observed during this period...
- Dedeh A, Ciutat A, Tréguer Delapierre M, Bourdineaud J. Impact of gold nanoparticles on zebrafish exposed to a spiked sediment. Nanotoxicology. 2015;9:71-80 pubmed publisher..Gold accumulation in fish tissues demonstrated the lower bioavailability of AuNP compared to ionic Au, and underlined the higher toxic potential of the nanoparticle form. ..
- Song Y, Wu B, Chiu C, Chen C, Zhou J, Liang S, et al. Coral-Derived Natural Marine Compound GB9 Impairs Vascular Development in Zebrafish. Int J Mol Sci. 2017;18: pubmed publisher..Moreover, exogenous N-acetyl-cysteine (NAC) treatment rescued the vascular defects in GB9 treated embryos. Our results showed that GB9 exposure causes vascular defects likely mediated by the imbalance of redox homeostasis. ..
- Mukhopadhyay D, Chattopadhyay A. Induction of oxidative stress and related transcriptional effects of sodium fluoride in female zebrafish liver. Bull Environ Contam Toxicol. 2014;93:64-70 pubmed publisher..ROS generation was evidensed by fluoroscence microscopy. The results of this study will help to understand the mechanism of oxidative stress induced by NaF in fish. ..
- Eason J, Williams A, Chawla B, Apsey C, Bohnsack B. Differences in neural crest sensitivity to ethanol account for the infrequency of anterior segment defects in the eye compared with craniofacial anomalies in a zebrafish model of fetal alcohol syndrome. Birth Defects Res. 2017;109:1212-1227 pubmed publisher..In the eye and craniofacial region, sod2 showed high levels of expression in the anterior segment and in the setting of Sod2 knockdown, low levels of ETOH ..
- Randazzo B, Chemello G, Tortarolo I, Chiarello G, Zalas M, Santini A, et al. A Novel Photocatalytic Purification System for Fish Culture. Zebrafish. 2017;14:411-421 pubmed publisher..No significant biological alterations were detectable on the cultured fish. ..
- Nathiga Nambi K, Abdul Majeed S, Taju G, Sivasubbu S, Sarath Babu V, Sahul Hameed A. Effects of nicotine on zebrafish: A comparative response between a newly established gill cell line and whole gills. Comp Biochem Physiol C Toxicol Pharmacol. 2017;195:68-77 pubmed publisher..increased the elevation of lipid peroxidation (LPO) while depletion of reduced glutathione (GSH), manganese superoxide dismutase (MnSOD), catalase (CAT), glutathione S-transferase (GST) and glutathione peroxidise(GPx1a) was ..
- Malek R, Sajadi H, Abraham J, Grundy M, Gerhard G. The effects of temperature reduction on gene expression and oxidative stress in skeletal muscle from adult zebrafish. Comp Biochem Physiol C Toxicol Pharmacol. 2004;138:363-73 pubmed..Additional studies will be required to further delineate the role of altered gene expression and oxidative stress on the longevity-promoting effects of temperature reduction. ..
- Massarsky A, Bone A, Dong W, Hinton D, Prasad G, Di Giulio R. AHR2 morpholino knockdown reduces the toxicity of total particulate matter to zebrafish embryos. Toxicol Appl Pharmacol. 2016;309:63-76 pubmed publisher..Moreover, as shown by gene expression the AHR pathway, but not the antioxidant pathway, was induced in response to TPM exposure, providing further evidence for its importance in mediating TPM toxicity. ..
- Díaz Casado M, Rusanova I, Aranda P, Fernández Ortiz M, Sayed R, Fernandez Gil B, et al. In Vivo Determination of Mitochondrial Respiration in 1-Methyl-4-Phenyl-1,2,3,6-Tetrahydropyridine-Treated Zebrafish Reveals the Efficacy of Melatonin in Restoring Mitochondrial Normalcy. Zebrafish. 2018;15:15-26 pubmed publisher..Melatonin also counteracted mortality and embryonic malformations due to MPTP. Our results confirm for the first time the efficacy of melatonin in restoring parkinsonian phenotypes in animals. ..
- Sun L, Xin L, Peng Z, Jin R, Jin Y, Qian H, et al. Toxicity and enantiospecific differences of two ?-blockers, propranolol and metoprolol, in the embryos and larvae of zebrafish (Danio rerio). Environ Toxicol. 2014;29:1367-78 pubmed publisher..These results also demonstrated that the enantiospecific toxicity of chiral ?-blockers should be investigated when performing an ecological risk assessment. ..
- Zhu L, Mu X, Wang K, Chai T, Yang Y, Qiu L, et al. Cyhalofop-butyl has the potential to induce developmental toxicity, oxidative stress and apoptosis in early life stage of zebrafish (Danio rerio). Environ Pollut. 2015;203:40-9 pubmed publisher..Therefore, we speculated that oxidative stress-induced apoptosis should be responsible for abnormal development during embryogenesis after cyhalofop-butyl exposure. ..
- Jin Y, Zhang X, Shu L, Chen L, Sun L, Qian H, et al. Oxidative stress response and gene expression with atrazine exposure in adult female zebrafish (Danio rerio). Chemosphere. 2010;78:846-52 pubmed publisher..The information presented in this study will be helpful in fully understanding the mechanism of oxidative stress induced by ATZ in fish. ..
- Chemello G, Piccinetti C, Randazzo B, Carnevali O, Maradonna F, Magro M, et al. Oxytetracycline Delivery in Adult Female Zebrafish by Iron Oxide Nanoparticles. Zebrafish. 2016;13:495-503 pubmed..However, the dynamics related to OTC release from the SAMNs@OTC complex are still not clear and need further investigations. ..
- Peng K, Li Y, Long L, Li D, Jia Q, Wang Y, et al. Knockdown of FoxO3a induces increased neuronal apoptosis during embryonic development in zebrafish. Neurosci Lett. 2010;484:98-103 pubmed publisher..Our results indicated that FoxO3a might be essential for the maintenance of neural development in zebrafish. Therefore, this work provides novel evidence of FoxO3a in the embryonic neurodevelopment from zebrafish to other mammals. ..
- Timme Laragy A, Van Tiem L, Linney E, Di Giulio R. Antioxidant responses and NRF2 in synergistic developmental toxicity of PAHs in zebrafish. Toxicol Sci. 2009;109:217-27 pubmed publisher..Collectively, these findings demonstrate that antioxidant responses are a component of PAH synergistic developmental toxicity and that NRF2 is protective against prooxidant and PAH challenges during development. ..
- Sarkar S, Mukherjee S, Chattopadhyay A, Bhattacharya S. Differential modulation of cellular antioxidant status in zebrafish liver and kidney exposed to low dose arsenic trioxide. Ecotoxicol Environ Saf. 2017;135:173-182 pubmed publisher..Present findings elucidate that low dose of As2O3 exposure induces a time dependent differential modulation of antioxidant status in liver and kidney of zebrafish in a tissue-specific manner. ..
- Hrubik J, Glisic B, Fa S, Pogrmic Majkic K, Andric N. Erk-Creb pathway suppresses glutathione-S-transferase pi expression under basal and oxidative stress conditions in zebrafish embryos. Toxicol Lett. 2016;240:81-92 pubmed publisher..This study also provides a novel link between Erk and gstp1-2 expression, setting apart a possible differential regulation of gstp1-2 in adult and embryonic cells. ..
- StancovÃ¡ V, ZikovÃ¡ A, SvobodovÃ¡ Z, Kloas W. Effects of the non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug(NSAID) naproxen on gene expression of antioxidant enzymes in zebrafish (Danio rerio). Environ Toxicol Pharmacol. 2015;40:343-8 pubmed publisher..Interestingly, the adverse side effects of NSAIDs occur in the gastrointestinal tract of humans. To our knowledge, this is the first study that has focused on transcriptional effects of naproxen on zebrafish. ..
- Passeri M, Cinaroglu A, Gao C, Sadler K. Hepatic steatosis in response to acute alcohol exposure in zebrafish requires sterol regulatory element binding protein activation. Hepatology. 2009;49:443-52 pubmed publisher..Srebp activation is required for steatosis in this model. The tractability of zebrafish genetics provides a valuable tool for dissecting the molecular pathogenesis of acute ALD. ..
- Gonzalez P, Baudrimont M, Boudou A, Bourdineaud J. Comparative effects of direct cadmium contamination on gene expression in gills, liver, skeletal muscles and brain of the zebrafish (Danio rerio). Biometals. 2006;19:225-35 pubmed..Then, after 21 days, the expression of almost every genes returned to basal levels while both mt1 and mt2 genes were up-regulated. ..
- Ladhar C, Geffroy B, Cambier S, Tréguer Delapierre M, Durand E, Brèthes D, et al. Impact of dietary cadmium sulphide nanoparticles on Danio rerio zebrafish at very low contamination pressure. Nanotoxicology. 2014;8:676-85 pubmed publisher..Cadmium accumulation in fish tissues (brain and muscles) could only be observed after 60 days of exposure. CdSNPs toxicity was dependent on their size and concentration. ..
- Priyadarshini M, Tuimala J, Chen Y, Panula P. A zebrafish model of PINK1 deficiency reveals key pathway dysfunction including HIF signaling. Neurobiol Dis. 2013;54:127-38 pubmed publisher..Our findings suggest that a lack of pink1 in zebrafish alters many vital and critical pathways in addition to the HIF signaling pathway. ..
- Singh R, Khatri P, Srivastava N, Jain S, Brahmachari V, Mukhopadhyay A, et al. Fluoride exposure abates pro-inflammatory response and induces in vivo apoptosis rendering zebrafish (Danio rerio) susceptible to bacterial infections. Fish Shellfish Immunol. 2017;63:314-321 pubmed publisher..We conclude, chronic fluoride exposure impairs the redox balance, affects DNA repair machinery with pro-apoptotic implications and suppresses pro-inflammatory cytokines expression abrogating host immunity to bacterial infections. ..
- Perrichon P, Le Menach K, Akcha F, Cachot J, Budzinski H, Bustamante P. Toxicity assessment of water-accommodated fractions from two different oils using a zebrafish (Danio rerio) embryo-larval bioassay with a multilevel approach. Sci Total Environ. 2016;568:952-966 pubmed publisher..Our work highlights once more, the cardiotoxic action (and potentially neurotoxic) of petroleum-related PAHs. ..