Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: snai1b
Description: snail family zinc finger 1b
Alias: sna2, snail2, snail 1b, snail homolog 1b, snail-2, snail1b
- Stewart R, Arduini B, Berghmans S, George R, Kanki J, Henion P, et al. Zebrafish foxd3 is selectively required for neural crest specification, migration and survival. Dev Biol. 2006;292:174-88 pubmed..sym1 mutants have normal numbers of premigratory neural crest cells, but these cells express reduced levels of snai1b and sox10, implicating foxd3 as an essential regulator of these transcription factors in the premigratory neural ..
- Thisse C, Thisse B, Postlethwait J. Expression of snail2, a second member of the zebrafish snail family, in cephalic mesendoderm and presumptive neural crest of wild-type and spadetail mutant embryos. Dev Biol. 1995;172:86-99 pubmedTranscripts of a newly discovered gene called snail2, encoding a zinc finger protein of the Snail family, first appear in rows of cephalic mesendodermal cells in gastrulating zebrafish embryos...
- Montero Balaguer M, Lang M, Sachdev S, Knappmeyer C, Stewart R, De La Guardia A, et al. The mother superior mutation ablates foxd3 activity in neural crest progenitor cells and depletes neural crest derivatives in zebrafish. Dev Dyn. 2006;235:3199-212 pubmed..The loss of derivatives is preceded by a reduction in NC-expressed transcription factors, snail1b, sox9b, sox10, and a specific loss of foxd3 expression in NC progenitor cells...
- Fürthauer M, Thisse C, Thisse B. A role for FGF-8 in the dorsoventral patterning of the zebrafish gastrula. Development. 1997;124:4253-64 pubmed..We conclude that FGF-8 is involved in defining dorsoventral identity and is an important organizing factor responsible for specification of mesodermal and ectodermal dorsolateral territories of the zebrafish gastrula. ..
- Kao T, Chu C, Lee G, Hsiao T, Cheng N, Chang N, et al. Folate deficiency-induced oxidative stress contributes to neuropathy in young and aged zebrafish--implication in neural tube defects and Alzheimer's diseases. Neurobiol Dis. 2014;71:234-44 pubmed publisher..We concluded that folate deficiency-induced oxidative stress contributed to the folate deficiency-associated neuropathogenesis in both early and late stages of life. ..
- Dutton K, Abbas L, Spencer J, Brannon C, Mowbray C, Nikaido M, et al. A zebrafish model for Waardenburg syndrome type IV reveals diverse roles for Sox10 in the otic vesicle. Dis Model Mech. 2009;2:68-83 pubmed publisher..We discuss the implication that the deafness in WS4 patients with SOX10 mutations might reflect a haploinsufficiency for SOX10 in the otic epithelium, resulting in patterning and functional abnormalities in the inner ear. ..
- Kim J, Wu Q, Zhang Y, Wiens K, Huang Y, Rubin N, et al. PDGF signaling is required for epicardial function and blood vessel formation in regenerating zebrafish hearts. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2010;107:17206-10 pubmed publisher..Our data suggest that PDGF signaling plays important roles in epicardial function and coronary vessel formation during heart regeneration in zebrafish. ..
- Lele Z, Folchert A, Concha M, Rauch G, Geisler R, Rosa F, et al. parachute/n-cadherin is required for morphogenesis and maintained integrity of the zebrafish neural tube. Development. 2002;129:3281-94 pubmed..Our results thus highlight novel and crucial in vivo roles for Ncad in the control of cell convergence, maintenance of neuronal positioning and dorsal cell proliferation during vertebrate neural tube development. ..
- Cretekos C, Grunwald D. alyron, an insertional mutation affecting early neural crest development in zebrafish. Dev Biol. 1999;210:322-38 pubmed
- Clements W, Kimelman D. LZIC regulates neuronal survival during zebrafish development. Dev Biol. 2005;283:322-34 pubmed publisher..Surprisingly, despite this high similarity, LZIC does not interact with beta-catenin in vitro or in vivo. Our results reveal that LZIC, a protein conserved in vertebrates, is required for neuronal survival in zebrafish...
- Artinger K, Chitnis A, Mercola M, Driever W. Zebrafish narrowminded suggests a genetic link between formation of neural crest and primary sensory neurons. Development. 1999;126:3969-79 pubmed..We discuss the implications of these findings for the possibility that RB sensory neurons and neural crest cells share a common evolutionary origin. ..
- Moens C, Cordes S, Giorgianni M, Barsh G, Kimmel C. Equivalence in the genetic control of hindbrain segmentation in fish and mouse. Development. 1998;125:381-91 pubmed
- Yuan Q, Chiquet B, Devault L, Warman M, Nakamura Y, Swindell E, et al. Craniofacial abnormalities result from knock down of nonsyndromic clefting gene, crispld2, in zebrafish. Genesis. 2012;50:871-81 pubmed publisher..These data provide support for a role of CRISPLD2 in NSCLP...
- Zhang K, Rodriguez Aznar E, Yabuta N, Owen R, Mingot J, Nojima H, et al. Lats2 kinase potentiates Snail1 activity by promoting nuclear retention upon phosphorylation. EMBO J. 2012;31:29-43 pubmed publisher..Analysis in mouse and zebrafish embryo development confirms that Lats2 acts as a positive modulator of Snail1 protein level and potentiates its in vivo EMT activity. ..
- Leger S, Brand M. Fgf8 and Fgf3 are required for zebrafish ear placode induction, maintenance and inner ear patterning. Mech Dev. 2002;119:91-108 pubmed..We suggest a model of zebrafish inner ear development with several discrete steps that utilize sequential Fgf signals during otic placode induction and vesicle patterning. ..
- Dee C, Szymoniuk C, Mills P, Takahashi T. Defective neural crest migration revealed by a Zebrafish model of Alx1-related frontonasal dysplasia. Hum Mol Genet. 2013;22:239-51 pubmed publisher..This novel function is specific to Alx1, and likely explains the marked clinical severity of Alx1 mutation within the spectrum of Alx-related FND. ..
- Peng X, Li G, Wang Y, Zhuang J, Luo R, Chen J, et al. CXXC5 is required for cardiac looping relating to TGF? signaling pathway in zebrafish. Int J Cardiol. 2016;214:246-53 pubmed publisher..This finding suggested that CXXC5 may serve as a possible marker that has potential diagnostic and prognostic value in fetus with congenital heart disease. ..
- Smith S, Snell P, Gruetzner F, Bench A, Haaf T, Metcalfe J, et al. Analyses of the extent of shared synteny and conserved gene orders between the genome of Fugu rubripes and human 20q. Genome Res. 2002;12:776-84 pubmed
- Reischauer S, Levesque M, NUSSLEIN VOLHARD C, Sonawane M. Lgl2 executes its function as a tumor suppressor by regulating ErbB signaling in the zebrafish epidermis. PLoS Genet. 2009;5:e1000720 pubmed publisher..Our data reveal that pen/lgl2 functions as a tumor suppressor gene in vertebrates, establishing zebrafish pen/lgl2 mutants as a valuable cancer model. ..
- Powell D, Hernandez Lagunas L, Lamonica K, Artinger K. Prdm1a directly activates foxd3 and tfap2a during zebrafish neural crest specification. Development. 2013;140:3445-55 pubmed publisher..Additionally, analysis of dominant activator and dominant repressor Prdm1a constructs suggests that Prdm1a is required both as a transcriptional activator and transcriptional repressor for neural crest development in zebrafish embryos. ..
- Li W, Cornell R. Redundant activities of Tfap2a and Tfap2c are required for neural crest induction and development of other non-neural ectoderm derivatives in zebrafish embryos. Dev Biol. 2007;304:338-54 pubmed
- Thisse C, Thisse B, Halpern M, Postlethwait J. Goosecoid expression in neurectoderm and mesendoderm is disrupted in zebrafish cyclops gastrulas. Dev Biol. 1994;164:420-9 pubmed..We propose that in the gastrula head, goosecoid may be important in organizing the ventral neurectoderm. ..
- Knight R, Nair S, Nelson S, Afshar A, Javidan Y, Geisler R, et al. lockjaw encodes a zebrafish tfap2a required for early neural crest development. Development. 2003;130:5755-68 pubmed..These studies demonstrate that low is required for early steps in neural crest development and suggest that tfap2a is essential for the survival of a subset of neural crest derivatives. ..
- Van Otterloo E, Li W, Garnett A, Cattell M, Medeiros D, Cornell R. Novel Tfap2-mediated control of soxE expression facilitated the evolutionary emergence of the neural crest. Development. 2012;139:720-30 pubmed publisher..Together, these results show that mutations resulting in novel Tfap2-mediated regulation of sox10 and other targets contributed to the evolution of the neural crest. ..
- Ghassibe Sabbagh M, Desmyter L, Langenberg T, Claes F, Boute O, Bayet B, et al. FAF1, a gene that is disrupted in cleft palate and has conserved function in zebrafish. Am J Hum Genet. 2011;88:150-61 pubmed publisher..Administration of faf1 mRNA rescues this phenotype. Our findings therefore identify FAF1 as a regulator of CNC differentiation and show that it predisposes humans to cleft palate and is necessary for lower jaw development in zebrafish. ..
- Eroglu B, Min J, Zhang Y, Szurek E, Moskophidis D, Eroglu A, et al. An essential role for heat shock transcription factor binding protein 1 (HSBP1) during early embryonic development. Dev Biol. 2014;386:448-60 pubmed publisher..mouse EBs and knockdown of HSBP1 in zebrafish leads to an increase in the expression of the neural crest inducers Snail2, Tfap2? and Foxd3, suggesting a potential role for HSBP1 in the Wnt pathway...
- Roy S, Ng T. Blimp-1 specifies neural crest and sensory neuron progenitors in the zebrafish embryo. Curr Biol. 2004;14:1772-7 pubmed..These results establish a link between the activity of the transcriptional regulator Blimp-1 and the inductive effects of BMP signaling in the inception of NC progenitor fate. ..
- Nguyen C, Langenbacher A, Hsieh M, Chen J. The PAF1 complex component Leo1 is essential for cardiac and neural crest development in zebrafish. Dev Biol. 2010;341:167-75 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these results provide the first genetic evidence of the requirement for Leo1 in the development of the heart and neural crest cell populations. ..
- Song S, Eckerle S, Onichtchouk D, Marrs J, Nitschke R, Driever W. Pou5f1-dependent EGF expression controls E-cadherin endocytosis, cell adhesion, and zebrafish epiboly movements. Dev Cell. 2013;24:486-501 pubmed publisher..We hypothesize that dynamic control of E-cad trafficking is essential to effectively generate new adhesion sites when cells move relative to each other. ..
- Drerup C, Wiora H, Topczewski J, Morris J. Disc1 regulates foxd3 and sox10 expression, affecting neural crest migration and differentiation. Development. 2009;136:2623-32 pubmed publisher..Based on our data, we propose a model in which Disc1 functions in the transcriptional repression of foxd3 and sox10, thus mediating CNC cell migration and differentiation. ..
- Gays D, Hess C, Camporeale A, Ala U, Provero P, Mosimann C, et al. An exclusive cellular and molecular network governs intestinal smooth muscle cell differentiation in vertebrates. Development. 2017;144:464-478 pubmed publisher..Together, our data uncover a cascade of molecular events that govern distinct morphogenetic steps during the emergence and differentiation of vertebrate iSMCs. ..
- Manzanares M, Blanco M, Nieto M. Snail3 orthologues in vertebrates: divergent members of the Snail zinc-finger gene family. Dev Genes Evol. 2004;214:47-53 pubmed..We further show that all three Snail genes lie in regions of extensive paralogy, revealing their common origin through segmental or chromosomal duplication. ..
- Ignatius M, Hayes M, Lobbardi R, Chen E, McCarthy K, Sreenivas P, et al. The NOTCH1/SNAIL1/MEF2C Pathway Regulates Growth and Self-Renewal in Embryonal Rhabdomyosarcoma. Cell Rep. 2017;19:2304-2318 pubmed publisher..Our data implicate the NOTCH1/SNAI1/MEF2C signaling axis as a major determinant of TPC self-renewal and differentiation in ERMS, raising hope of therapeutically targeting this pathway in the future. ..
- Missinato M, Tobita K, Romano N, Carroll J, Tsang M. Extracellular component hyaluronic acid and its receptor Hmmr are required for epicardial EMT during heart regeneration. Cardiovasc Res. 2015;107:487-98 pubmed publisher..HA and Hmmr are required for activated epicardial cell EMT and migration involving the FAK/Src pathway for proper heart regeneration. ..
- Barrallo Gimeno A, Holzschuh J, Driever W, Knapik E. Neural crest survival and differentiation in zebrafish depends on mont blanc/tfap2a gene function. Development. 2004;131:1463-77 pubmed..in mob(m610) mutant embryos, as revealed by normal expression of early neural crest specific genes such as snail2, foxd3 and sox10...
- Curran K, Raible D, Lister J. Foxd3 controls melanophore specification in the zebrafish neural crest by regulation of Mitf. Dev Biol. 2009;332:408-17 pubmed publisher..Understanding the mechanisms that regulate mitfa and melanophore development could prove informative in the treatment and prevention of these human diseases...
- Wang W, Zhang L, Gui Y, Song H. Retinol dehydrogenase, RDH1l, is essential for the heart development and cardiac performance in zebrafish. Chin Med J (Engl). 2013;126:722-8 pubmed..These results show for the first time that an enzyme involved in the retinol to retinaldehyde conversion participate in the heart development and cardiac performance in zebrafish. ..
- Chuang H, Cheng H, Hsiao K, Lin C, Lin M, Pan H. The zebrafish homeobox gene irxl1 is required for brain and pharyngeal arch morphogenesis. Dev Dyn. 2010;239:639-50 pubmed publisher..These observations suggest that irxl1 may regulate factors involved in brain and pharyngeal arch development. ..
- Shih H, Hsu S, Ouyang P, Lin S, Chou T, Chiang M, et al. Bmp5 Regulates Neural Crest Cell Survival and Proliferation via Two Different Signaling Pathways. Stem Cells. 2017;35:1003-1014 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our results demonstrate an important regulatory mechanism for bone morphogenic protein-initiated signal transduction underlying the formation of neural crest progenitors. Stem Cells 2017;35:1003-1014. ..
- Postlethwait J, Yan Y, Gates M, Horne S, Amores A, Brownlie A, et al. Vertebrate genome evolution and the zebrafish gene map. Nat Genet. 1998;18:345-9 pubmed..This zebrafish gene map will facilitate molecular identification of mutated zebrafish genes, which can suggest functions for human genes known only by sequence. ..
- Moens C, Yan Y, Appel B, Force A, Kimmel C. valentino: a zebrafish gene required for normal hindbrain segmentation. Development. 1996;122:3981-90 pubmed..These results provide genetic evidence for a two-segment periodicity in the hindbrain and suggest that this periodicity arises sequentially, through the specification and later subdivision of a two-rhombomere unit, or 'protosegment'. ..
- Cox S, Kim H, Garnett A, Medeiros D, An W, Crump J. An essential role of variant histone H3.3 for ectomesenchyme potential of the cranial neural crest. PLoS Genet. 2012;8:e1002938 pubmed publisher..3 in the broad potential of the ectoderm-derived CNC, including the ability to make the mesoderm-like ectomesenchymal precursors of the head skeleton...
- An M, Henion P. The zebrafish sf3b1b460 mutant reveals differential requirements for the sf3b1 pre-mRNA processing gene during neural crest development. Int J Dev Biol. 2012;56:223-37 pubmed publisher..Further, the developmental defects caused by the sf3b1(b460) mutation provide insights into genetic interactions among members of the gene regulatory network controlling neural crest development...
- Lee H, Lo H, Lo D, Su M, Hu J, Wu C, et al. Amiodarone Induces Overexpression of Similar to Versican b to Repress the EGFR/Gsk3b/Snail Signaling Axis during Cardiac Valve Formation of Zebrafish Embryos. PLoS ONE. 2015;10:e0144751 pubmed publisher..versican b (s-vcanb) overexpression at zebrafish embryonic heart and promoting cdh-5 overexpression by inhibiting snail1b at atrioventricular canal (AVC), thus blocking invagination of endocardial cells and, as a result, preventing the ..
- Berndt J, Halloran M. Semaphorin 3d promotes cell proliferation and neural crest cell development downstream of TCF in the zebrafish hindbrain. Development. 2006;133:3983-92 pubmed..Finally, Sema3d overexpression rescues reduced proliferation caused by DeltaTCF expression, suggesting that Sema3d lies downstream of Wnt/TCF signaling in the molecular pathway thought to control cell cycle in NCC precursors. ..
- Aybar M, Mayor R. Early induction of neural crest cells: lessons learned from frog, fish and chick. Curr Opin Genet Dev. 2002;12:452-8 pubmed..We compare here the early inductive molecular mechanisms in different organisms and, despite observed differences, propose a general common model for NC induction. ..
- Dworkin S, Simkin J, Darido C, Partridge D, Georgy S, Caddy J, et al. Grainyhead-like 3 regulation of endothelin-1 in the pharyngeal endoderm is critical for growth and development of the craniofacial skeleton. Mech Dev. 2014;133:77-90 pubmed publisher..This study sheds new light on the role of endodermal endothelin-1 in vertebrate jaw development, and highlights potential new genetic defects that could underpin human CFD. ..
- Dworkin S, Darido C, Georgy S, Wilanowski T, Srivastava S, Ellett F, et al. Midbrain-hindbrain boundary patterning and morphogenesis are regulated by diverse grainy head-like 2-dependent pathways. Development. 2012;139:525-36 pubmed publisher..Collectively, these data show that MHB maintenance and morphogenesis are dissociable events regulated by grhl2b through diverse transcriptional targets. ..
- Katoh M, Katoh M. Comparative genomics on SNAI1, SNAI2, and SNAI3 orthologs. Oncol Rep. 2005;14:1083-6 pubmed..1) were identified as SNAI2 orthologs. Chicken snail (NM_ 205142.1), Xenopus snail (BC056857.1), and zebrafish snai1b (NM_130989.1) were identified as SNAI3 orthologs...
- Chen C, Lin D, Cheng C, Lin C, Lo Y, Yen C, et al. Cdc6 cooperates with c-Myc to promote genome instability and epithelial to mesenchymal transition EMT in zebrafish. Oncotarget. 2014;5:6300-11 pubmed..Our findings and other characteristics of zebrafish, including optical clarity and small molecule treatment, provide the future utility of this model for easy and non-invasive detection and for identification of new anti-cancer drug. ..
- Lou X, Burrows J, Scott I. Med14 cooperates with brg1 in the differentiation of skeletogenic neural crest. BMC Dev Biol. 2015;15:41 pubmed publisher..These results suggest a critical role for Mediator and BAF complex function in neural crest development, and may also clarify the nature of defects in some craniofacial abnormalities. ..
- Carreira Barbosa F, Concha M, Takeuchi M, Ueno N, Wilson S, Tada M. Prickle 1 regulates cell movements during gastrulation and neuronal migration in zebrafish. Development. 2003;130:4037-46 pubmed..In addition, Pk1 interacts with Tri to mediate posterior migration of branchiomotor neurons, probably independent of the noncanonical Wnt pathway. ..
- Hong S, Haldin C, Lawson N, Weinstein B, Dawid I, Hukriede N. The zebrafish kohtalo/trap230 gene is required for the development of the brain, neural crest, and pronephric kidney. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2005;102:18473-8 pubmed..These results suggest that critical targets of TRAP230 function may include proteins important for cell mobility, cell sorting, and tissue assembly. ..
- Lister J, Cooper C, Nguyen K, Modrell M, Grant K, Raible D. Zebrafish Foxd3 is required for development of a subset of neural crest derivatives. Dev Biol. 2006;290:92-104 pubmed
- Rau M, Fischer S, Neumann C. Zebrafish Trap230/Med12 is required as a coactivator for Sox9-dependent neural crest, cartilage and ear development. Dev Biol. 2006;296:83-93 pubmed..Mediator is a coactivator complex transducing the interaction of DNA-binding transcription factors with RNA polymerase II, and our results reveal a critical function of the Trap230 subunit as a coactivator for Sox9. ..
- Berndt J, Clay M, Langenberg T, Halloran M. Rho-kinase and myosin II affect dynamic neural crest cell behaviors during epithelial to mesenchymal transition in vivo. Dev Biol. 2008;324:236-44 pubmed publisher..These data reveal roles for myosin II and ROCK in NCC EMT in vivo, and provide a detailed characterization of NCC behavior during EMT that will form a basis for further mechanistic studies. ..
- Qiao L, Gao H, Zhang T, Jing L, Xiao C, Xiao Y, et al. Snail modulates the assembly of fibronectin via ?5 integrin for myocardial migration in zebrafish embryos. Sci Rep. 2014;4:4470 pubmed publisher..Here, we identified that one of the duplicated snail genes, snai1b, was expressed in the heart region of zebrafish embryos...
- Clouthier D, Schilling T. Understanding endothelin-1 function during craniofacial development in the mouse and zebrafish. Birth Defects Res C Embryo Today. 2004;72:190-9 pubmed
- Zhao C, Andreeva V, Gibert Y, Labonty M, Lattanzi V, Prabhudesai S, et al. Tissue specific roles for the ribosome biogenesis factor Wdr43 in zebrafish development. PLoS Genet. 2014;10:e1004074 pubmed publisher..Together, our findings provide new insight into roles for Wdr43 in development, ribosome biogenesis, and also ribosomopathy-induced craniofacial phenotypes including Treacher-Collins Syndrome. ..
- Locascio A, Manzanares M, Blanco M, Nieto M. Modularity and reshuffling of Snail and Slug expression during vertebrate evolution. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2002;99:16841-6 pubmed..Because these changes do not fit easily into current models, we need to invoke additional mechanisms acting on enhancer elements to distribute expression domains and functions of duplicated genes unequally during evolution. ..
- Piotrowski T, Nusslein Volhard C. The endoderm plays an important role in patterning the segmented pharyngeal region in zebrafish (Danio rerio). Dev Biol. 2000;225:339-56 pubmed
- Lopes S, Yang X, Müller J, Carney T, McAdow A, Rauch G, et al. Leukocyte tyrosine kinase functions in pigment cell development. PLoS Genet. 2008;4:e1000026 pubmed publisher..In summary, we have discovered a novel signalling pathway in NCC development and demonstrate fate specification of iridophores as the first identified role for Ltk. ..
- OcaÃ±a O, Coskun H, MinguillÃ³n C, Murawala P, Tanaka E, GalcerÃ¡n J, et al. A right-handed signalling pathway drives heart looping in vertebrates. Nature. 2017;549:86-90 pubmed publisher..Thus, a differential L/R EMT produces asymmetric cell movements and forces, more prominent from the right, that drive heart laterality in vertebrates. ..
- Liedtke D, Winkler C. Midkine-b regulates cell specification at the neural plate border in zebrafish. Dev Dyn. 2008;237:62-74 pubmed..Our results imply that Mdkb is required for the earliest steps of cell specification at the neural plate border in zebrafish...