Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: smad5
Description: SMAD family member 5
Alias: SBN, fb67b04, mad, madh5, pgy, sb:cb400, smd5, wu:fb67b04, mothers against decapentaplegic homolog 5, MAD homolog 5, SMA- and MAD-related protein 5, SMAD 5, mothers against DPP homolog 5, piggytail, somitabun
- McReynolds L, Gupta S, Figueroa M, Mullins M, Evans T. Smad1 and Smad5 differentially regulate embryonic hematopoiesis. Blood. 2007;110:3881-90 pubmed..pathway regulates multiple steps of hematopoiesis, mediated through receptor-regulated Smads, including Smad1 and Smad5. Here, we use loss-of-function approaches in zebrafish to compare the roles of Smad1 and Smad5 during embryonic ..
- Barth K, Kishimoto Y, Rohr K, Seydler C, Schulte Merker S, Wilson S. Bmp activity establishes a gradient of positional information throughout the entire neural plate. Development. 1999;126:4977-87 pubmed..However, in somitabun(-) (sbn(-)) embryos, which probably retain higher residual Bmp activity, it is the sensory neurons and not the ..
- Mullins M, Hammerschmidt M, Kane D, Odenthal J, Brand M, van Eeden F, et al. Genes establishing dorsoventral pattern formation in the zebrafish embryo: the ventral specifying genes. Development. 1996;123:81-93 pubmed..phenotype is a reduction in the ventral tail fin, observed as a dominant phenotype of swirl, piggytail, and somitabun and a recessive phenotype of mini fin, lost-a-fin and some piggytail alleles...
- Schumacher J, Hashiguchi M, Nguyen V, Mullins M. An intermediate level of BMP signaling directly specifies cranial neural crest progenitor cells in zebrafish. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e27403 pubmed publisher..We further investigated the ability of Smad5 to act in a graded fashion by injecting smad5 antisense morpholinos and show that increasing doses first expand ..
- Sidi S, Goutel C, Peyrieras N, Rosa F. Maternal induction of ventral fate by zebrafish radar. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2003;100:3315-20 pubmed..They might further indicate that maternal TGF-betaRdr and WntCa(2+) pathways complementarily specify ventral cell fates, with the former triggering bmps expression and the latter indirectly repressing genes encoding BMP antagonists. ..
- Zhang Y, Duc A, Rao S, Sun X, Bilbee A, Rhodes M, et al. Control of hematopoietic stem cell emergence by antagonistic functions of ribosomal protein paralogs. Dev Cell. 2013;24:411-25 pubmed publisher..Accordingly, circumstances that tip the balance of these paralogs in favor of Rpl22 (e.g., Rpl22l1 knockdown or Rpl22 overexpression) result in repression of Smad1 and blockade of HSC emergence...
- Leung A, Mendenhall E, Kwan T, Liang R, Eckfeldt C, Chen E, et al. Characterization of expanded intermediate cell mass in zebrafish chordin morphant embryos. Dev Biol. 2005;277:235-54 pubmed..BMP4 (but not BMP2b or 7) and smad5 mRNA were ectopically expressed in the ChdMO ICM...
- Sun H, Li D, Chen S, Liu Y, Liao X, Deng W, et al. Zili inhibits transforming growth factor-beta signaling by interacting with Smad4. J Biol Chem. 2010;285:4243-50 pubmed publisher..This work shows that zili plays a role in early embryogenesis beyond germ line as a novel negative regulator of TGF-beta signaling, extending the function of Piwi proteins in vertebrates. ..
- Zu Y, Tong X, Wang Z, Liu D, Pan R, Li Z, et al. TALEN-mediated precise genome modification by homologous recombination in zebrafish. Nat Methods. 2013;10:329-31 pubmed publisher..We also successfully targeted two additional genes. Homologous recombination in zebrafish with a dsDNA donor expands the utility of this model organism. ..
- Zhang C, Lv J, He Q, Wang S, Gao Y, Meng A, et al. Inhibition of endothelial ERK signalling by Smad1/5 is essential for haematopoietic stem cell emergence. Nat Commun. 2014;5:3431 pubmed publisher..These findings provide new insights into the in vitro generation of transplantable HSCs for potential clinical applications. ..
- Hammond K, Loynes H, Mowbray C, Runke G, Hammerschmidt M, Mullins M, et al. A late role for bmp2b in the morphogenesis of semicircular canal ducts in the zebrafish inner ear. PLoS ONE. 2009;4:e4368 pubmed publisher..Injection of bmp2b or smad5 mRNA into homozygous mutant swirl (bmp2b(-/-)) embryos rescues the early patterning defects in these mutants and ..
- Kim J, Kim J. Alk3/Alk3b and Smad5 mediate BMP signaling during lymphatic development in zebrafish. Mol Cells. 2014;37:270-4 pubmed publisher..The knock-down of BMP type II receptors, Bmpr2a and Bmpr2b, and type I receptors, Alk3 and Alk3b, as well as SMAD5, an essential cellular mediator of BMP signaling, led to distinct lymphatic defects in developing zebrafish...
- Pant S, March L, Famulski J, French C, Lehmann O, Waskiewicz A. Molecular mechanisms regulating ocular apoptosis in zebrafish gdf6a mutants. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2013;54:5871-9 pubmed publisher..Modulation of key mediators can inhibit retinal apoptosis offering potential avenues of therapy. However, the efficacy of pharmacomodulation in improvement of visual function needs to be further examined. ..
- Hammerschmidt M, Kramer C, Nowak M, Herzog W, Wittbrodt J. Loss of maternal Smad5 in zebrafish embryos affects patterning and morphogenesis of optic primordia. Dev Dyn. 2003;227:128-33 pubmed..Taking advantage of the maternal effect of a zebrafish smad5 null mutation (Mm169), we investigate the effect of early signaling by members of the bone morphogenetic proteins (..
- Jia S, Dai F, Wu D, Lin X, Xing C, Xue Y, et al. Protein phosphatase 4 cooperates with Smads to promote BMP signaling in dorsoventral patterning of zebrafish embryos. Dev Cell. 2012;22:1065-78 pubmed publisher..ppp4cb and/or ppp4ca inhibits ventral development in embryos and also blocks ventralizing activity of ectopic Smad5. Biochemical analyses reveal that Ppp4c is a direct binding partner and transcriptional coactivator of Smad1/Smad5...
- Smith K, Chocron S, von der Hardt S, de Pater E, Soufan A, Bussmann J, et al. Rotation and asymmetric development of the zebrafish heart requires directed migration of cardiac progenitor cells. Dev Cell. 2008;14:287-97 pubmed publisher..Together, these results support a model in which CPCs migrate toward a BMP source during development of the linear heart tube, providing a mechanism by which the left-right axis drives asymmetric development of the vertebrate heart. ..
- Patterson S, Bird N, Devoto S. BMP regulation of myogenesis in zebrafish. Dev Dyn. 2010;239:806-17 pubmed publisher..In addition, we show that while BMP overexpression is sufficient to delay myogenic differentiation, inhibition of BMP does not detectably affect this process, suggesting that other factors redundantly inhibit myogenic differentiation. ..
- Guo S, Brush J, Teraoka H, Goddard A, Wilson S, Mullins M, et al. Development of noradrenergic neurons in the zebrafish hindbrain requires BMP, FGF8, and the homeodomain protein soulless/Phox2a. Neuron. 1999;24:555-66 pubmed..These findings suggest that Phox2a coordinates the specification of LC in part through the induction of Phox2b and in response to cooperating signals that operate along the mediolateral and anteroposterior axes of the neural plate. ..
- Rodriguez Viales R, Diotel N, Ferg M, Armant O, Eich J, Alunni A, et al. The helix-loop-helix protein id1 controls stem cell proliferation during regenerative neurogenesis in the adult zebrafish telencephalon. Stem Cells. 2015;33:892-903 pubmed publisher..Together, we propose that Id1 acts to maintain the neural stem cell pool by counteracting neurogenesis-promoting signals. ..
- McGurk P, Lovely C, Eberhart J. Analyzing craniofacial morphogenesis in zebrafish using 4D confocal microscopy. J Vis Exp. 2014;:e51190 pubmed publisher..As such, time-lapse in vivo imaging combines powerfully with zebrafish genetic methods, including analyses of mutant and microinjected embryos. ..
- Miyares R, Stein C, Renisch B, Anderson J, Hammerschmidt M, Farber S. Long-chain Acyl-CoA synthetase 4A regulates Smad activity and dorsoventral patterning in the zebrafish embryo. Dev Cell. 2013;27:635-47 pubmed publisher..Our results reveal a critical role for Acsl4a in modulating Bmp-Smad activity and provide a potential avenue for LC-PUFAs to influence a variety of developmental processes. ..
- Jadrich J, O Connor M, Coucouvanis E. The TGF beta activated kinase TAK1 regulates vascular development in vivo. Development. 2006;133:1529-41 pubmed
- Flanagan Steet H, Aarnio M, Kwan B, Guihard P, Petrey A, Haskins M, et al. Cathepsin-Mediated Alterations in TGFÃŸ-Related Signaling Underlie Disrupted Cartilage and Bone Maturation Associated With Impaired Lysosomal Targeting. J Bone Miner Res. 2016;31:535-48 pubmed publisher..These findings highlight the complexity of the skeletal disease associated with MLII and bring new insight to the role of secreted cathepsin proteases in cartilage development and growth factor regulation. ..
- Little S, Mullins M. Twisted gastrulation promotes BMP signaling in zebrafish dorsal-ventral axial patterning. Development. 2004;131:5825-35 pubmed..Our results support a model in which zebrafish Tsg1 promotes BMP signaling, and thus ventral cell fates, during DV axial patterning. ..
- Erickson T, French C, Waskiewicz A. Meis1 specifies positional information in the retina and tectum to organize the zebrafish visual system. Neural Dev. 2010;5:22 pubmed publisher..By patterning both the retina and tectum, Meis1 plays an important role in establishing the retinotectal map and organizing the visual system. ..
- Tao S, Cai Y, Sampath K. The Integrator subunits function in hematopoiesis by modulating Smad/BMP signaling. Development. 2009;136:2757-65 pubmed publisher..5 (Ints5) in zebrafish embryos affects U1 and U2 snRNA processing, leading to aberrant splicing of smad1 and smad5 RNA, and reduced expression of the hematopoietic genes stem cell leukemia (scl, also known as tal1) and gata1...
- Dee C, Gibson A, Rengifo A, Sun S, Patient R, Scotting P. A change in response to Bmp signalling precedes ectodermal fate choice. Int J Dev Biol. 2007;51:79-84 pubmed..of the Bmp signalling effector, Smad1, only begins during early gastrulation, we tested the role of Smad1 and Smad5 (which is maternally expressed) in controlling gene expression both before and during gastrulation...
- Sun Y, Tseng W, Fan X, Ball R, Dougan S. Extraembryonic signals under the control of MGA, Max, and Smad4 are required for dorsoventral patterning. Dev Cell. 2014;28:322-34 pubmed publisher..We conclude that MGA, Max, and Smad4 act in the extraembryonic YSL to initiate a positive feedback loop of Bmp signaling within the embryo. ..
- Chen X, Shi W, Wang F, Du Z, Yang Y, Gao M, et al. Zinc finger DHHC-type containing 13 regulates fate specification of ectoderm and mesoderm cell lineages by modulating Smad6 activity. Stem Cells Dev. 2014;23:1899-909 pubmed publisher..Our results extended the cellular role of Zdhhc13, suggesting that it acts as a regulator in BMP signaling, and established that the embryonic function of Zdhhc13 is in lineage specification. ..
- Sheehan Rooney K, Swartz M, Lovely C, Dixon M, Eberhart J. Bmp and Shh signaling mediate the expression of satb2 in the pharyngeal arches. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e59533 pubmed publisher..While satb2 expression appears independent of Edn1 signaling, appropriate expression requires Shha, Smo, Smad5 and Hand2 function...
- Wei C, Wang H, Zhu Z, Sun Y. Transcriptional factors smad1 and smad9 act redundantly to mediate zebrafish ventral specification downstream of smad5. J Biol Chem. 2014;289:6604-18 pubmed publisher..Nuclear transduction of BMP signals requires the receptor type Smad proteins, Smad1, Smad5, and Smad9...
- Xing C, Gong B, Xue Y, Han Y, Wang Y, Meng A, et al. TGFÎ²1a regulates zebrafish posterior lateral line formation via Smad5 mediated pathway. J Mol Cell Biol. 2015;7:48-61 pubmed publisher..Like tgfÎ²1a depletion, knockdown of smad5 that expresses in the pLLP, affects pLLP development whereas overexpression of a constitutive active Smad5 isoform ..
- Pauli A, Montague T, Lennox K, Behlke M, Schier A. Antisense Oligonucleotide-Mediated Transcript Knockdown in Zebrafish. PLoS ONE. 2015;10:e0139504 pubmed publisher..reproduced the published loss-of-function phenotypes for oep, chordin, dnd, ctnnb2, bmp7a, alk8, smad2 and smad5 in a dosage-sensitive manner...
- Chen J, van Eeden F, Warren K, Chin A, Nusslein Volhard C, Haffter P, et al. Left-right pattern of cardiac BMP4 may drive asymmetry of the heart in zebrafish. Development. 1997;124:4373-82 pubmed..Thus, the pattern of cardiac BMP4 appears to be in the pathway by which the heart interprets lateralizing signals from the midline. ..
- Neklesa T, Tae H, Schneekloth A, Stulberg M, Corson T, Sundberg T, et al. Small-molecule hydrophobic tagging-induced degradation of HaloTag fusion proteins. Nat Chem Biol. 2011;7:538-43 pubmed publisher..Therefore, hydrophobic tagging of HaloTag fusion proteins affords small-molecule control over any protein of interest, making it an ideal system for validating potential drug targets in disease models. ..
- Pelegri F. Maternal factors in zebrafish development. Dev Dyn. 2003;228:535-54 pubmed
- Itman C, Loveland K. SMAD expression in the testis: an insight into BMP regulation of spermatogenesis. Dev Dyn. 2008;237:97-111 pubmed..Smad1, Smad5, Smad8, Smad4, Smad6, and Smad7 expression is ubiquitous during testis development but becomes cell-specific in ..
- Yang Y, Thorpe C. BMP and non-canonical Wnt signaling are required for inhibition of secondary tail formation in zebrafish. Development. 2011;138:2601-11 pubmed publisher..We propose a model in which BMP and the non-canonical Wnt pathway regulate tail morphogenesis by controlling cell migration and cell adhesion within the tailbud...
- Stickney H, Imai Y, Draper B, Moens C, Talbot W. Zebrafish bmp4 functions during late gastrulation to specify ventroposterior cell fates. Dev Biol. 2007;310:71-84 pubmed..In addition, we present genetic evidence supporting a role for a morphogenetic BMP gradient in establishing mesodermal fates during the later phase of BMP signaling. ..
- Hernandez Lagunas L, Choi I, Kaji T, Simpson P, Hershey C, Zhou Y, et al. Zebrafish narrowminded disrupts the transcription factor prdm1 and is required for neural crest and sensory neuron specification. Dev Biol. 2005;278:347-57 pubmed..Analysis of prdm1 function by overexpression indicates that prdm1 functions to promote the cell fate specification of both neural crest cells and RB sensory neurons, most likely as a downstream effector of the BMP signaling pathway. ..