Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: slc6a5
Description: solute carrier family 6 (neurotransmitter transporter), member 5
Alias: glyt2, si:dkey-7n10.12, sodium- and chloride-dependent glycine transporter 2, glycine transporter 2, solute carrier family 6 (neurotransmitter transporter, glycine), member 5
- Ronneberger O, Liu K, Rath M, Rueβ D, Mueller T, Skibbe H, et al. ViBE-Z: a framework for 3D virtual colocalization analysis in zebrafish larval brains. Nat Methods. 2012;9:735-42 pubmed publisher..The ViBE-Z database, atlas and software are provided via a web interface. ..
- Fernandes A, Beddows E, Filippi A, Driever W. Orthopedia transcription factor otpa and otpb paralogous genes function during dopaminergic and neuroendocrine cell specification in larval zebrafish. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e75002 pubmed publisher..Otp may thus be crucial for defined neuronal cell types also in the hindbrain. ..
- Hirata H, Ogino K, Yamada K, Leacock S, Harvey R. Defective escape behavior in DEAH-box RNA helicase mutants improved by restoring glycine receptor expression. J Neurosci. 2013;33:14638-44 pubmed publisher..To our knowledge, this is the first identification of pathologically relevant substrates for an RNA helicase...
- de Juan Sanz J, Núñez E, Villarejo López L, Pérez Hernández D, Rodriguez Fraticelli A, López Corcuera B, et al. Na+/K+-ATPase is a new interacting partner for the neuronal glycine transporter GlyT2 that downregulates its expression in vitro and in vivo. J Neurosci. 2013;33:14269-81 pubmed publisherThe neuronal glycine transporter GlyT2 plays a fundamental role in the glycinergic neurotransmission by recycling the neurotransmitter to the presynaptic terminal...
- Hilinski W, Bostrom J, England S, Juárez Morales J, De Jager S, Armant O, et al. Lmx1b is required for the glutamatergic fates of a subset of spinal cord neurons. Neural Dev. 2016;11:16 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our data significantly enhance our understanding of how spinal cord neurotransmitter fates are regulated. ..
- Hoffman E, Turner K, Fernández J, Cifuentes D, Ghosh M, Ijaz S, et al. Estrogens Suppress a Behavioral Phenotype in Zebrafish Mutants of the Autism Risk Gene, CNTNAP2. Neuron. 2016;89:725-33 pubmed publisher..These results identify estrogenic compounds as phenotypic suppressors and illuminate novel pharmacological pathways with relevance to autism. ..
- May M, Hwang K, MILES J, Williams C, Niranjan T, Kahler S, et al. ZC4H2, an XLID gene, is required for the generation of a specific subset of CNS interneurons. Hum Mol Genet. 2015;24:4848-61 pubmed publisher..Our findings clearly support ZC4H2 as a novel XLID gene with a required function in interneuron development. Loss of function of ZC4H2 thus likely results in altered connectivity of many brain and spinal circuits. ..
- Barreiro Iglesias A, Mysiak K, Adrio F, Rodicio M, Becker C, Becker T, et al. Distribution of glycinergic neurons in the brain of glycine transporter-2 transgenic Tg(glyt2:Gfp) adult zebrafish: relationship to brain-spinal descending systems. J Comp Neurol. 2013;521:389-425 pubmed publisher..a Tg(glyt2:gfp) transgenic zebrafish expressing the green fluorescent protein (GFP) under control of the glycine transporter 2 (GLYT2) regulatory sequences to study for the first time the glycinergic neurons in the brain of an adult ..
- Ganser L, Yan Q, James V, Kozol R, Topf M, Harvey R, et al. Distinct phenotypes in zebrafish models of human startle disease. Neurobiol Dis. 2013;60:139-51 pubmed publisher..cause startle disease have been identified in glycine receptor subunit (GLRA1 and GLRB) and glycine transporter (SLC6A5) genes, which serve essential functions at glycinergic synapses...
- Roy N, Arpie B, Lugo J, Linney E, Levin E, Cerutti D. Brief embryonic strychnine exposure in zebrafish causes long-term adult behavioral impairment with indications of embryonic synaptic changes. Neurotoxicol Teratol. 2012;34:587-91 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these data show that a short embryonic exposure to a neurotoxicant can alter development of neural synapses and lead to changes in adult behavior. ..
- Kimura Y, Hisano Y, Kawahara A, Higashijima S. Efficient generation of knock-in transgenic zebrafish carrying reporter/driver genes by CRISPR/Cas9-mediated genome engineering. Sci Rep. 2014;4:6545 pubmed publisher..Due to its simplicity, design flexibility, and high efficiency, we propose that CRISPR/Cas9-mediated knock-in will become a standard method for the generation transgenic zebrafish. ..
- Satou C, Kimura Y, Kohashi T, Horikawa K, Takeda H, Oda Y, et al. Functional role of a specialized class of spinal commissural inhibitory neurons during fast escapes in zebrafish. J Neurosci. 2009;29:6780-93 pubmed publisher..This study illustrates (1) a clear example of the behavioral role of a specialized class of interneurons and (2) the capacity of the spinal circuits to filter descending commands and thereby produce the appropriate behavior. ..
- Yokogawa T, Marin W, Faraco J, Pezeron G, Appelbaum L, Zhang J, et al. Characterization of sleep in zebrafish and insomnia in hypocretin receptor mutants. PLoS Biol. 2007;5:e277 pubmed..Our study validates the use of zebrafish for the study of sleep and indicates molecular diversity in sleep regulatory networks across vertebrates. ..
- McGown A, McDearmid J, Panagiotaki N, Tong H, Al Mashhadi S, Redhead N, et al. Early interneuron dysfunction in ALS: insights from a mutant sod1 zebrafish model. Ann Neurol. 2013;73:246-58 pubmed publisher..Riluzole, the approved drug for use in ALS, modulates neuronal stress in interneurons, indicating a novel mechanism of riluzole action. ..
- Seredick S, Van Ryswyk L, Hutchinson S, Eisen J. Zebrafish Mnx proteins specify one motoneuron subtype and suppress acquisition of interneuron characteristics. Neural Dev. 2012;7:35 pubmed publisher..This is, to our knowledge, the first report of transcription factors that act to distinguish CaP and MiP subtype identities. Our results also suggest that MiP motoneurons are more similar to V2 interneurons than are CaP motoneurons. ..
- Van Ryswyk L, Simonson L, Eisen J. The role of inab in axon morphology of an identified zebrafish motoneuron. PLoS ONE. 2014;9:e88631 pubmed publisher..We show that inab is necessary for proper axon morphology of a specific motoneuron subtype. ..
- JuÃ¡rez Morales J, Schulte C, Pezoa S, Vallejo G, Hilinski W, England S, et al. Evx1 and Evx2 specify excitatory neurotransmitter fates and suppress inhibitory fates through a Pax2-independent mechanism. Neural Dev. 2016;11:5 pubmed publisher..These results significantly increase our understanding of the mechanisms of neuronal specification and the genetic networks involved in these processes. ..
- Cui W, Low S, Hirata H, Saint Amant L, Geisler R, Hume R, et al. The zebrafish shocked gene encodes a glycine transporter and is essential for the function of early neural circuits in the CNS. J Neurosci. 2005;25:6610-20 pubmed..glyt1 and the related glyt2 mRNAs are expressed in the hindbrain and spinal cord in nonoverlapping patterns...