Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: slc6a3
Description: solute carrier family 6 (neurotransmitter transporter), member 3
Alias: dat, sodium-dependent dopamine transporter, dopamine transporter, solute carrier family 6 (neurotransmitter transporter, dopamine), member 3
- Filippi A, Mahler J, Schweitzer J, Driever W. Expression of the paralogous tyrosine hydroxylase encoding genes th1 and th2 reveals the full complement of dopaminergic and noradrenergic neurons in zebrafish larval and juvenile brain. J Comp Neurol. 2010;518:423-38 pubmed publisher..as a neurotransmitter, we also included expression of dopamine beta hydroxylase, dopa decarboxylase, and dopamine transporter in our analysis...
- Prober D, Rihel J, Onah A, Sung R, Schier A. Hypocretin/orexin overexpression induces an insomnia-like phenotype in zebrafish. J Neurosci. 2006;26:13400-10 pubmed
- Bai Q, Burton E. Cis-acting elements responsible for dopaminergic neuron-specific expression of zebrafish slc6a3 (dopamine transporter) in vivo are located remote from the transcriptional start site. Neuroscience. 2009;164:1138-51 pubmed publisher..to analyze the transcriptional regulation of the zebrafish solute carrier family 6 member 3 gene (slc6a3, dopamine transporter, dat), as a first step towards isolating regulatory sequences useful for driving transgene expression ..
- Filippi A, Durr K, Ryu S, Willaredt M, Holzschuh J, Driever W. Expression and function of nr4a2, lmx1b, and pitx3 in zebrafish dopaminergic and noradrenergic neuronal development. BMC Dev Biol. 2007;7:135 pubmed..all zebrafish dopaminergic neurons expressing nr4a2a depend on Nr4a2 activity for tyrosine hydroxylase and dopamine transporter expression. Zebrafish lmx1b...
- Sheng D, Qu D, Kwok K, Ng S, Lim A, Aw S, et al. Deletion of the WD40 domain of LRRK2 in Zebrafish causes Parkinsonism-like loss of neurons and locomotive defect. PLoS Genet. 2010;6:e1000914 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our results demonstrate that zLRRK2 is an ortholog of hLRRK2 and that the deletion of WD40 domain of zLRRK2 provides a disease model for PD. ..
- Foley J, Yeh J, Maeder M, Reyon D, Sander J, Peterson R, et al. Rapid mutation of endogenous zebrafish genes using zinc finger nucleases made by Oligomerized Pool ENgineering (OPEN). PLoS ONE. 2009;4:e4348 pubmed publisher..Using OPEN, we successfully engineered ZFN pairs for five endogenous zebrafish genes: tfr2, dopamine transporter, telomerase, hif1aa, and gridlock...
- Ren G, Xin S, Li S, Zhong H, Lin S. Disruption of LRRK2 does not cause specific loss of dopaminergic neurons in zebrafish. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e20630 pubmed publisher..Our study suggests that function of LRRK2 and its usefulness to generate zebrafish PD model needs further evaluation. ..
- Shang E, Zhdanova I. The circadian system is a target and modulator of prenatal cocaine effects. PLoS ONE. 2007;2:e587 pubmed..changes in the expression of genes affecting growth (growth hormone, zGH) and neurotransmission (dopamine transporter, zDAT)...
- Milanese C, Sager J, Bai Q, Farrell T, Cannon J, Greenamyre J, et al. Hypokinesia and reduced dopamine levels in zebrafish lacking ?- and ?1-synucleins. J Biol Chem. 2012;287:2971-83 pubmed publisher..Zebrafish models will allow further elucidation of the molecular physiology and pathophysiology of synucleins in vivo. ..
- Russek Blum N, Gutnick A, Nabel Rosen H, Blechman J, Staudt N, Dorsky R, et al. Dopaminergic neuronal cluster size is determined during early forebrain patterning. Development. 2008;135:3401-13 pubmed publisher..This study also shows, for the first time, that diencephalic DA population size is modulated inside the neural plate much earlier than expected, concomitant with Wnt-mediated regional patterning events. ..
- Filby A, Paull G, Searle F, Ortiz Zarragoitia M, Tyler C. Environmental estrogen-induced alterations of male aggression and dominance hierarchies in fish: a mechanistic analysis. Environ Sci Technol. 2012;46:3472-9 pubmed publisher..cyp19a1b, cyp17, hsd11b2, hsd17b3, ar) and aggression (avplrv1b, tph1b, htr1a, sst1, sstr1, th, slc6a3, ar) were higher in control dominant versus subordinate males, but suppressed by EE(2) exposure, such that the ..
- Chen Q, Huang N, Huang J, Chen S, Fan J, Li C, et al. Sodium benzoate exposure downregulates the expression of tyrosine hydroxylase and dopamine transporter in dopaminergic neurons in developing zebrafish. Birth Defects Res B Dev Reprod Toxicol. 2009;86:85-91 pubmed publisher..durations, during which the survival rates were recorded, the expression of tyrosine hydroxylase (TH) and dopamine transporter (DAT) in the neurons in the ventral diencephalon were detected by in situ hybridization and ..
- Boehmler W, Petko J, Woll M, Frey C, Thisse B, Thisse C, et al. Identification of zebrafish A2 adenosine receptors and expression in developing embryos. Gene Expr Patterns. 2009;9:144-51 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that zebrafish AdRs may serve as useful targets for testing novel therapeutic strategies for the treatment of PD. ..
- Cade L, Reyon D, Hwang W, Tsai S, Patel S, Khayter C, et al. Highly efficient generation of heritable zebrafish gene mutations using homo- and heterodimeric TALENs. Nucleic Acids Res. 2012;40:8001-10 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that construction of one to two heterodimeric TALEN pairs for any given gene will, in most cases, enable researchers to rapidly generate knockout zebrafish. ..
- Flinn L, Keatinge M, Bretaud S, Mortiboys H, Matsui H, De Felice E, et al. TigarB causes mitochondrial dysfunction and neuronal loss in PINK1 deficiency. Ann Neurol. 2013;74:837-47 pubmed publisher..Pink1(-/-) zebrafish are the first vertebrate model of PINK1 deficiency with loss of dopaminergic neurons. Our study also identifies TIGAR as a promising novel target for disease-modifying therapy in PINK1-related PD. ..
- Liang X, Souders C, Zhang J, Martyniuk C. Tributyltin induces premature hatching and reduces locomotor activity in zebrafish (Danio rerio) embryos/larvae at environmentally relevant levels. Chemosphere. 2017;189:498-506 pubmed publisher..we measured transcripts associated with muscle function (myf6, myoD, and myoG) and dopamine signaling (th, dat, dopamine receptors) as dopamine regulates behavior...
- Puttonen H, Semenova S, Sundvik M, Panula P. Storage of neural histamine and histaminergic neurotransmission is VMAT2 dependent in the zebrafish. Sci Rep. 2017;7:3060 pubmed publisher..Our results also reveal potential new insights about the roles of monoaminergic neurotransmitters in the regulation of locomotion increase during adaptation to darkness. ..
- Zhao T, Zondervan van der Linde H, Severijnen L, Oostra B, Willemsen R, Bonifati V. Dopaminergic neuronal loss and dopamine-dependent locomotor defects in Fbxo7-deficient zebrafish. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e48911 pubmed publisher..Of note, the number of the dopamine transporter-expressing neurons was much more severely depleted, suggesting dopaminergic dysfunctions earlier and larger ..
- López Patiño M, Yu L, Yamamoto B, Zhdanova I. Gender differences in zebrafish responses to cocaine withdrawal. Physiol Behav. 2008;95:36-47 pubmed publisher..The basal brain dopamine (DA) levels and the expression of dopamine transporter mRNA (zDAT) show no significant sexual dimorphism...
- Hu Z, Chen B, Zhang J, Ma Y. Up-regulation of autophagy-related gene 5 (ATG5) protects dopaminergic neurons in a zebrafish model of Parkinson's disease. J Biol Chem. 2017;292:18062-18074 pubmed publisher..PD-mimicking pathological locomotor behavior, DA neuron loss labeled by tyrosine hydroxylase (TH) or dopamine transporter (DAT), and blocked autophagy flux in the zebrafish model...
- Godoy R, Noble S, Yoon K, Anisman H, Ekker M. Chemogenetic ablation of dopaminergic neurons leads to transient locomotor impairments in zebrafish larvae. J Neurochem. 2015;135:249-60 pubmed publisher..expressing a cyan fluorescent protein-nitroreductase fusion protein (CFP-NTR) under the control of dopamine transporter (dat) cis-regulatory elements...
- Kacprzak V, Patel N, Riley E, Yu L, Yeh J, Zhdanova I. Dopaminergic control of anxiety in young and aged zebrafish. Pharmacol Biochem Behav. 2017;157:1-8 pubmed publisherChanges in the expression of the dopamine transporter (DAT), or the sensitivity of dopamine receptors, are associated with aging and substance abuse and may underlie some of the symptoms common to both conditions...
- Naderi M, Salahinejad A, Jamwal A, Chivers D, Niyogi S. Chronic Dietary Selenomethionine Exposure Induces Oxidative Stress, Dopaminergic Dysfunction, and Cognitive Impairment in Adult Zebrafish (Danio rerio). Environ Sci Technol. 2017;51:12879-12888 pubmed publisher..induction of oxidative stress and altered mRNA expression of dopamine receptors, tyrosine hydroxylase, and dopamine transporter genes in the zebrafish brain...
- Elbaz I, Yelin Bekerman L, Nicenboim J, Vatine G, Appelbaum L. Genetic ablation of hypocretin neurons alters behavioral state transitions in zebrafish. J Neurosci. 2012;32:12961-72 pubmed publisher..Our results further suggest a key role of HCRT neurons in mediating behavioral state transitions in response to external stimuli. ..
- Xia Z, Wei J, Li Y, Wang J, Li W, Wang K, et al. Zebrafish slc30a10 deficiency revealed a novel compensatory mechanism of Atp2c1 in maintaining manganese homeostasis. PLoS Genet. 2017;13:e1006892 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest that either activating ATP2C1 or restoring the Mn-induced trafficking of ATP2C1 can reduce Mn accumulation, providing a possible target for treating HMDPC. ..
- Barreto Valer K, López Bellido R, Macho Sánchez Simón F, Rodriguez R. Modulation by cocaine of dopamine receptors through miRNA-133b in zebrafish embryos. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e52701 pubmed publisher..of miR-133b with the Pitx3 and Pitx3 target genes drd2a and drd2b, tyrosine hydroxylase (th) and dopamine transporter (dat) by microinjection of the Pitx3-3'UTR sequence...
- Sager J, Torres G, Burton E. The zebrafish homologue of the human DYT1 dystonia gene is widely expressed in CNS neurons but non-essential for early motor system development. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e45175 pubmed publisher..The similarities between Torsin1 and human TorsinA in domain organization, expression pattern, and cellular localization suggest that the zebrafish will provide a useful model to understand the neuronal functions of Torsins in vivo. ..
- Huang J, Zhong Z, Wang M, Chen X, Tan Y, Zhang S, et al. Circadian modulation of dopamine levels and dopaminergic neuron development contributes to attention deficiency and hyperactive behavior. J Neurosci. 2015;35:2572-87 pubmed publisher..The circadian model for attention deficiency and hyperactive behavior sheds light on ADHD pathogenesis and opens avenues for exploring novel targets for diagnosis and therapy for this common psychiatric disorder. ..
- Lambert A, Bonkowsky J, Masino M. The conserved dopaminergic diencephalospinal tract mediates vertebrate locomotor development in zebrafish larvae. J Neurosci. 2012;32:13488-500 pubmed..These results, integrated with the mammalian literature, suggest that the DDT represents an evolutionarily conserved neuromodulatory system that is necessary for normal vertebrate locomotor development. ..
- Chen Y, Semenova S, Rozov S, Sundvik M, Bonkowsky J, Panula P. A Novel Developmental Role for Dopaminergic Signaling to Specify Hypothalamic Neurotransmitter Identity. J Biol Chem. 2016;291:21880-21892 pubmed..These results reveal a role for dopaminergic signaling in the regulation of neurotransmitter identity and a potential mechanism contributing to sleep disturbances in Parkinson's disease. ..
- Jeong J, Einhorn Z, Mercurio S, Lee S, Lau B, Mione M, et al. Neurogenin1 is a determinant of zebrafish basal forebrain dopaminergic neurons and is regulated by the conserved zinc finger protein Tof/Fezl. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2006;103:5143-8 pubmed..These findings identify Ngn1 as a determinant of brain DA neurons and provide insights into how Tof/Fezl regulates the development of these clinically important neuronal types. ..
- Yamamoto K, Ruuskanen J, Wullimann M, Vernier P. Differential expression of dopaminergic cell markers in the adult zebrafish forebrain. J Comp Neurol. 2011;519:576-98 pubmed publisherAlthough the simultaneous presence of tyrosine hydroxylase (TH), aromatic amino acid decarboxylase (AADC), dopamine transporter (DAT), and vesicular monoamine transporter 2 (VMAT2) is considered as a phenotypic signature of dopamine (DA) ..
- Decker A, McNeill M, Lambert A, Overton J, Chen Y, Lorca R, et al. Abnormal differentiation of dopaminergic neurons in zebrafish trpm7 mutant larvae impairs development of the motor pattern. Dev Biol. 2014;386:428-39 pubmed publisher..In summary, a forward genetic screen in zebrafish has revealed that both melanocytes and dopaminergic neurons depend on the ion channel Trpm7. The mechanistic underpinning of this dependence requires further investigation. ..
- Fujimoto E, Stevenson T, Chien C, Bonkowsky J. Identification of a dopaminergic enhancer indicates complexity in vertebrate dopamine neuron phenotype specification. Dev Biol. 2011;352:393-404 pubmed publisher..We conclude that regulation of dopaminergic neuron phenotype in vertebrates is regulated by dispersed regulatory elements. ..
- Wang F, Chen X, Shi W, Yao L, Gao M, Yang Y, et al. Zdhhc15b Regulates Differentiation of Diencephalic Dopaminergic Neurons in zebrafish. J Cell Biochem. 2015;116:2980-91 pubmed publisher..Our results reveal that zdhhc15b controls DA neuronal fate decisions by regulating differentiation but not progenitor cell proliferation or DA neuronal survival. ..
- Soares J, Pereira T, Costa K, Maraschin T, Basso N, Bogo M. Developmental neurotoxic effects of graphene oxide exposure in zebrafish larvae (Danio rerio). Colloids Surf B Biointerfaces. 2017;157:335-346 pubmed publisher..In the 5mg/L dose, synapsin IIa expression up-regulation was seen concomitantly with down-regulation of dat expression, showing a potential compensatory mechanism...
- Noble S, Godoy R, Affaticati P, Ekker M. Transgenic Zebrafish Expressing mCherry in the Mitochondria of Dopaminergic Neurons. Zebrafish. 2015;12:349-56 pubmed publisher..To visualize mitochondria in dopaminergic neurons of live zebrafish, we used the regulatory elements of the dopamine transporter (dat) gene to target a reporter, mCherry, after fusion with the mitochondrial localizing signal (MLS) of ..
- Wang Y, Takai R, Yoshioka H, Shirabe K. Characterization and expression of serotonin transporter genes in zebrafish. Tohoku J Exp Med. 2006;208:267-74 pubmed..These information might be useful to evaluate the effect of those chemicals on serotonin neuron development and behavior of the animal. ..
- Lange M, Norton W, Coolen M, Chaminade M, Merker S, Proft F, et al. The ADHD-susceptibility gene lphn3.1 modulates dopaminergic neuron formation and locomotor activity during zebrafish development. Mol Psychiatry. 2012;17:946-54 pubmed publisher..Together, our results implicate decreased Lphn3 activity in eliciting ADHD-like behavior, and demonstrate its correlated contribution to the development of the brain dopaminergic circuitry. ..
- Sarty K, Cowie A, Martyniuk C. The legacy pesticide dieldrin acts as a teratogen and alters the expression of dopamine transporter and dopamine receptor 2a in zebrafish (Danio rerio) embryos. Comp Biochem Physiol C Toxicol Pharmacol. 2017;194:37-47 pubmed publisher..GABA-related transcripts were not affected in abundance by DLD. Conversely, the relative mRNA levels of dopamine transporter (dat1) and dopamine receptor drd2a mRNA were decreased in dechorionated, but not chorionated, embryos...
- Gao D, Wu M, Wang C, Wang Y, Zuo Z. Chronic exposure to low benzo[a]pyrene level causes neurodegenerative disease-like syndromes in zebrafish (Danio rerio). Aquat Toxicol. 2015;167:200-8 pubmed publisher..levels of dopamine and 3,4-dihydroxyphenylacetic acid, the mRNA levels of the genes encoding dopamine transporter, Parkinson protein 7, phosphatase and tensin-induced putative kinase 1, ubiquitin carboxy-terminal ..
- Blechman J, Borodovsky N, Eisenberg M, Nabel Rosen H, Grimm J, Levkowitz G. Specification of hypothalamic neurons by dual regulation of the homeodomain protein Orthopedia. Development. 2007;134:4417-26 pubmed..Our data reveal a new genetic network controlling the specification of hypothalamic neurons in vertebrates, and places Otp as a critical determinant underlying Fezl- and PAC1-mediated differentiation. ..
- Chen Y, Sundvik M, Rozov S, Priyadarshini M, Panula P. MANF regulates dopaminergic neuron development in larval zebrafish. Dev Biol. 2012;370:237-49 pubmed publisher..Strikingly, manf mRNA could partly restore the decrease of th1 positive cells in Nr4a2-deficient larvae. These results suggest that MANF is involved in the regulation of the development of dopaminergic system in zebrafish. ..
- Xi Y, Yu M, Godoy R, Hatch G, Poitras L, Ekker M. Transgenic zebrafish expressing green fluorescent protein in dopaminergic neurons of the ventral diencephalon. Dev Dyn. 2011;240:2539-47 pubmed publisher..which the green fluorescent protein (GFP) is expressed under the control of cis-regulatory elements of the dopamine transporter (dat) gene...
- Li S, Yin M, Liu S, Chen Y, Yin Y, Liu T, et al. Expression of ventral diencephalon-enriched genes in zebrafish. Dev Dyn. 2010;239:3368-79 pubmed publisher..Alteration of expression levels of Id3 inhibited maturation of developing DA neurons. Taken together, our study provides genetic characteristics of DA neurons in the diencephalon of zebrafish. ..
- Wu Q, Yan W, Cheng H, Liu C, Hung T, Guo X, et al. Parental transfer of microcystin-LR induced transgenerational effects of developmental neurotoxicity in zebrafish offspring. Environ Pollut. 2017;231:471-478 pubmed publisher..parental exposure groups, while the expression levels of manf, bdnf, ache, htr1ab, htr1b, htr2a, htr1aa, htr5a, DAT, TH1 and TH2 genes coincided with the decreased content of neurotransmitters (dopamine, DOPAC and serotonin) and ..
- Yokogawa T, Marin W, Faraco J, Pezeron G, Appelbaum L, Zhang J, et al. Characterization of sleep in zebrafish and insomnia in hypocretin receptor mutants. PLoS Biol. 2007;5:e277 pubmed..Our study validates the use of zebrafish for the study of sleep and indicates molecular diversity in sleep regulatory networks across vertebrates. ..
- Holzschuh J, Hauptmann G, Driever W. Genetic analysis of the roles of Hh, FGF8, and nodal signaling during catecholaminergic system development in the zebrafish brain. J Neurosci. 2003;23:5507-19 pubmed..In summary, our results do not support the previously suggested dominant roles for sonic hedgehog and Fgf8 in specification of the first catecholaminergic neurons, but instead indicate a novel role for Nodal signaling in this process. ..