Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: slc17a6b
Description: solute carrier family 17 (vesicular glutamate transporter), member 6b
Alias: VGLUT2.1, blu, si:packt73.2, si:packt90.2, si:xx-packt73.2, slc17a6, vglut2a, vesicular glutamate transporter 2.1, blumenkohl, protein blumenkohl, solute carrier family 17 (sodium-dependent inorganic phosphate cotransporter), member 6, solute carrier family 17 (sodium-dependent inorganic phosphate cotransporter), member 6b, solute carrier family 17 member 6 A, solute carrier family 17 member 6-B, vesicular glutamate transporter 2-A
- Batista M, Jacobstein J, Lewis K. Zebrafish V2 cells develop into excitatory CiD and Notch signalling dependent inhibitory VeLD interneurons. Dev Biol. 2008;322:263-75 pubmed publisher..In addition, we demonstrate that Notch signalling is required for V2 cells to develop into V2b cells. In the absence of Notch signalling, all V2b cells develop as V2a cells. ..
- Amo R, Fredes F, Kinoshita M, Aoki R, Aizawa H, Agetsuma M, et al. The habenulo-raphe serotonergic circuit encodes an aversive expectation value essential for adaptive active avoidance of danger. Neuron. 2014;84:1034-48 pubmed publisher..Thus, vHb-MR circuit is essential for representing the level of expected danger and behavioral programming to adaptively avoid potential hazard. ..
- Koyama M, Kinkhabwala A, Satou C, Higashijima S, FETCHO J. Mapping a sensory-motor network onto a structural and functional ground plan in the hindbrain. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2011;108:1170-5 pubmed publisher..Many different specialized hindbrain networks may arise similarly from a simple early patterning. ..
- Gabriel J, Trivedi C, Maurer C, Ryu S, Bollmann J. Layer-specific targeting of direction-selective neurons in the zebrafish optic tectum. Neuron. 2012;76:1147-60 pubmed publisher..Hence, different directions are represented in different layers, which suggests a simple mechanism for how tectal neurons acquire directional tuning in a nascent circuit. ..
- Moly P, Ikenaga T, Kamihagi C, Islam A, Hatta K. Identification of initially appearing glycine-immunoreactive neurons in the embryonic zebrafish brain. Dev Neurobiol. 2014;74:616-32 pubmed publisher..These results provide evidence of identifiable glycinergic (Gly-ir/glyt2-positive) neurons in vertebrate embryos, and they can be used in further studies of the neurons' development and function at the single-cell level...
- Van Ryswyk L, Simonson L, Eisen J. The role of inab in axon morphology of an identified zebrafish motoneuron. PLoS ONE. 2014;9:e88631 pubmed publisher..We show that inab is necessary for proper axon morphology of a specific motoneuron subtype. ..
- Kimura Y, Hisano Y, Kawahara A, Higashijima S. Efficient generation of knock-in transgenic zebrafish carrying reporter/driver genes by CRISPR/Cas9-mediated genome engineering. Sci Rep. 2014;4:6545 pubmed publisher..Due to its simplicity, design flexibility, and high efficiency, we propose that CRISPR/Cas9-mediated knock-in will become a standard method for the generation transgenic zebrafish. ..
- May M, Hwang K, MILES J, Williams C, Niranjan T, Kahler S, et al. ZC4H2, an XLID gene, is required for the generation of a specific subset of CNS interneurons. Hum Mol Genet. 2015;24:4848-61 pubmed publisher..Our findings clearly support ZC4H2 as a novel XLID gene with a required function in interneuron development. Loss of function of ZC4H2 thus likely results in altered connectivity of many brain and spinal circuits. ..
- Baier H, Klostermann S, Trowe T, Karlstrom R, Nusslein Volhard C, Bonhoeffer F. Genetic dissection of the retinotectal projection. Development. 1996;123:415-25 pubmed..The results of this screen show that a large-scale genetic approach can be applied to relatively late and circumscribed developmental processes in the vertebrate brain. ..
- Culverwell J, Karlstrom R. Making the connection: retinal axon guidance in the zebrafish. Semin Cell Dev Biol. 2002;13:497-506 pubmed..The combination of zebrafish genetic and embryological approaches promises to greatly increase our understanding of how multiple guidance mechanisms establish the complex neural interconnectivity of the vertebrate brain. ..
- Smear M, Tao H, Staub W, Orger M, Gosse N, Liu Y, et al. Vesicular glutamate transport at a central synapse limits the acuity of visual perception in zebrafish. Neuron. 2007;53:65-77 pubmed..We show here that zebrafish blumenkohl (blu) mutants are impaired in resolving rapid movements and fine spatial detail...
- Mione M, Baldessari D, Deflorian G, Nappo G, Santoriello C. How neuronal migration contributes to the morphogenesis of the CNS: insights from the zebrafish. Dev Neurosci. 2008;30:65-81 pubmed..These examples reinforce the concept that migratory events contribute to the distribution of cell types with diverse identities through the CNS and that zebrafish transgenic lines represent excellent tools to study these events. ..
- Villar Cerviño V, Rocancourt C, Menuet A, Da Silva C, Wincker P, Anadón R, et al. A vesicular glutamate transporter in lampreys: cDNA cloning and early expression in the nervous system. J Chem Neuroanat. 2010;40:71-81 pubmed publisher..Comparison of the early expression of VGluT genes between the lamprey and some anamniotan gnathostomes (frog, zebrafish) reveals a conserved expression pattern, likely to reflect ancestral vertebrate characteristics...
- Haffter P, Granato M, Brand M, Mullins M, Hammerschmidt M, Kane D, et al. The identification of genes with unique and essential functions in the development of the zebrafish, Danio rerio. Development. 1996;123:1-36 pubmed..Here we give an overview of the spectrum of mutant phenotypes obtained, and discuss the limits and the potentials of a genetic saturation screen in the zebrafish. ..
- Hilinski W, Bostrom J, England S, Juárez Morales J, De Jager S, Armant O, et al. Lmx1b is required for the glutamatergic fates of a subset of spinal cord neurons. Neural Dev. 2016;11:16 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our data significantly enhance our understanding of how spinal cord neurotransmitter fates are regulated. ..
- Chen A, Chiu C, Mosser E, Kahn S, Spence R, Prober D. QRFP and Its Receptors Regulate Locomotor Activity and Sleep in Zebrafish. J Neurosci. 2016;36:1823-40 pubmed publisher..We also show that QRFP overexpression reduces locomotor activity, whereas animals that lack QRFP signaling are more active and sleep less. These results suggest that QRFP signaling participates in the hypothalamic regulation of sleep. ..
- Neuhauss S, Biehlmaier O, Seeliger M, Das T, Kohler K, Harris W, et al. Genetic disorders of vision revealed by a behavioral screen of 400 essential loci in zebrafish. J Neurosci. 1999;19:8603-15 pubmed..malfunction (noir, dropje, and possibly steifftier), and disruption of retinotectal impulse activity (macho and blumenkohl)...
- Yokogawa T, Marin W, Faraco J, Pezeron G, Appelbaum L, Zhang J, et al. Characterization of sleep in zebrafish and insomnia in hypocretin receptor mutants. PLoS Biol. 2007;5:e277 pubmed..Our study validates the use of zebrafish for the study of sleep and indicates molecular diversity in sleep regulatory networks across vertebrates. ..
- Obholzer N, Wolfson S, Trapani J, Mo W, Nechiporuk A, Busch Nentwich E, et al. Vesicular glutamate transporter 3 is required for synaptic transmission in zebrafish hair cells. J Neurosci. 2008;28:2110-8 pubmed publisher..Lack of postsynaptic action currents in the mutants suggests that the remaining hair-cell synaptic vesicles contain insufficient levels of glutamate for generation of action potentials in first-order neurons. ..
- Appelbaum L, Wang G, Maro G, Mori R, Tovin A, Marin W, et al. Sleep-wake regulation and hypocretin-melatonin interaction in zebrafish. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2009;106:21942-7 pubmed publisher..These results demonstrate the existence of a functional HCRT neurons-pineal gland circuit able to modulate melatonin production and sleep consolidation. ..
- Ito Y, Tanaka H, Okamoto H, Ohshima T. Characterization of neural stem cells and their progeny in the adult zebrafish optic tectum. Dev Biol. 2010;342:26-38 pubmed publisher..These results demonstrate that the proliferating cells in the PGZ contribute to neuronal and glial lineages to maintain the structure of the optic tectum in adult zebrafish. ..
- Kani S, Bae Y, Shimizu T, Tanabe K, Satou C, Parsons M, et al. Proneural gene-linked neurogenesis in zebrafish cerebellum. Dev Biol. 2010;343:1-17 pubmed publisher..Our data indicate that proneural gene-linked neurogenesis is evolutionarily conserved in the cerebellum among vertebrates, and that the continuously generated neurons help remodel neural circuits in the adult zebrafish cerebellum. ..
- Aoki T, Kinoshita M, Aoki R, Agetsuma M, Aizawa H, Yamazaki M, et al. Imaging of neural ensemble for the retrieval of a learned behavioral program. Neuron. 2013;78:881-94 pubmed publisher..Moreover, the findings indicate that consolidated memory traces can be rapidly modified during reinforcement learning. ..
- Roy N, Arpie B, Lugo J, Linney E, Levin E, Cerutti D. Brief embryonic strychnine exposure in zebrafish causes long-term adult behavioral impairment with indications of embryonic synaptic changes. Neurotoxicol Teratol. 2012;34:587-91 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these data show that a short embryonic exposure to a neurotoxicant can alter development of neural synapses and lead to changes in adult behavior. ..
- Lee G, Sung S, Chang W, Kao T, Du H, Hsiao T, et al. Zebrafish larvae exposed to ginkgotoxin exhibit seizure-like behavior that is relieved by pyridoxal-5'-phosphate, GABA and anti-epileptic drugs. Dis Model Mech. 2012;5:785-95 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, our data suggests that this ginkgotoxin-induced seizure in zebrafish larvae could serve as an in vivo model for epileptic seizure research and potential AED screening. ..
- Miyasaka N, Morimoto K, Tsubokawa T, Higashijima S, Okamoto H, Yoshihara Y. From the olfactory bulb to higher brain centers: genetic visualization of secondary olfactory pathways in zebrafish. J Neurosci. 2009;29:4756-67 pubmed publisher..Moreover, our finding of asymmetric bulbo-habenular projection renders the olfactory system an attractive model for the studies of brain asymmetry and lateralized behaviors. ..
- Trowe T, Klostermann S, Baier H, Granato M, Crawford A, Grunewald B, et al. Mutations disrupting the ordering and topographic mapping of axons in the retinotectal projection of the zebrafish, Danio rerio. Development. 1996;123:439-50 pubmed..In 27 mutants belonging to six complementation groups, retinal axons do not form normal termination fields. Some implications for models concerning the formation of topographic projections are discussed. ..
- Sundvik M, Kudo H, Toivonen P, Rozov S, Chen Y, Panula P. The histaminergic system regulates wakefulness and orexin/hypocretin neuron development via histamine receptor H1 in zebrafish. FASEB J. 2011;25:4338-47 pubmed publisher..development via histamine receptor H1 in zebrafish...
- JuÃ¡rez Morales J, Schulte C, Pezoa S, Vallejo G, Hilinski W, England S, et al. Evx1 and Evx2 specify excitatory neurotransmitter fates and suppress inhibitory fates through a Pax2-independent mechanism. Neural Dev. 2016;11:5 pubmed publisher..These results significantly increase our understanding of the mechanisms of neuronal specification and the genetic networks involved in these processes. ..
- Fernandes A, Beddows E, Filippi A, Driever W. Orthopedia transcription factor otpa and otpb paralogous genes function during dopaminergic and neuroendocrine cell specification in larval zebrafish. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e75002 pubmed publisher..Otp may thus be crucial for defined neuronal cell types also in the hindbrain. ..
- Neuhauss S. Behavioral genetic approaches to visual system development and function in zebrafish. J Neurobiol. 2003;54:148-60 pubmed..Here, I summarize visually mediated behaviors of both larval and adult zebrafish and their applicability for genetic screens, and present, the approaches and results of visual behavior carried out to date. ..