Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: slc17a6a
Description: solute carrier family 17 (vesicular glutamate transporter), member 6a
Alias: VGLUT2.2, slc17a6l, vglut2b, wu:fj12c01, vesicular glutamate transporter 2.2, solute carrier family 17 (sodium-dependent inorganic phosphate cotransporter), member 6 like, solute carrier family 17 (sodium-dependent inorganic phosphate cotransporter), member 6a, solute carrier family 17 member 6 B, solute carrier family 17 member 6-A, vesicular glutamate transporter 2-B
- Van Ryswyk L, Simonson L, Eisen J. The role of inab in axon morphology of an identified zebrafish motoneuron. PLoS ONE. 2014;9:e88631 pubmed publisher..We show that inab is necessary for proper axon morphology of a specific motoneuron subtype. ..
- Kim O, Cho H, Han E, Hong T, Ariyasiri K, Choi J, et al. Zebrafish knockout of Down syndrome gene, DYRK1A, shows social impairments relevant to autism. Mol Autism. 2017;8:50 pubmed publisher..These results illustrate the functional deficiency of DYRK1A as an underlying disease mechanism for autism. We also propose simple social behavioral assays as a tool for the broader study of autism candidate genes. ..
- Appelbaum L, Wang G, Maro G, Mori R, Tovin A, Marin W, et al. Sleep-wake regulation and hypocretin-melatonin interaction in zebrafish. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2009;106:21942-7 pubmed publisher..These results demonstrate the existence of a functional HCRT neurons-pineal gland circuit able to modulate melatonin production and sleep consolidation. ..
- McGown A, McDearmid J, Panagiotaki N, Tong H, Al Mashhadi S, Redhead N, et al. Early interneuron dysfunction in ALS: insights from a mutant sod1 zebrafish model. Ann Neurol. 2013;73:246-58 pubmed publisher..Riluzole, the approved drug for use in ALS, modulates neuronal stress in interneurons, indicating a novel mechanism of riluzole action. ..
- Tal T, Franzosa J, Tilton S, Philbrick K, Iwaniec U, Turner R, et al. MicroRNAs control neurobehavioral development and function in zebrafish. FASEB J. 2012;26:1452-61 pubmed publisher..Together, these data support an integral role for miRNAs in the establishment of vertebrate neurobehavioral and skeletal systems. ..
- Elbaz I, Lerer Goldshtein T, Okamoto H, Appelbaum L. Reduced synaptic density and deficient locomotor response in neuronal activity-regulated pentraxin 2a mutant zebrafish. FASEB J. 2015;29:1220-34 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that Nptx2a affects locomotor response to external stimuli by mediating structural synaptic plasticity in excitatory neuronal circuits. ..
- Miyake A, Chitose T, Kamei E, Murakami A, Nakayama Y, Konishi M, et al. Fgf16 is required for specification of GABAergic neurons and oligodendrocytes in the zebrafish forebrain. PLoS ONE. 2014;9:e110836 pubmed publisher..The results of the present study indicate that Fgf16 signaling, which is regulated by the downstream pathways of Hh-Fgf19 in the forebrain, is involved in forebrain development. ..
- Roy N, Arpie B, Lugo J, Linney E, Levin E, Cerutti D. Brief embryonic strychnine exposure in zebrafish causes long-term adult behavioral impairment with indications of embryonic synaptic changes. Neurotoxicol Teratol. 2012;34:587-91 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these data show that a short embryonic exposure to a neurotoxicant can alter development of neural synapses and lead to changes in adult behavior. ..
- Appelbaum L, Wang G, Yokogawa T, Skariah G, Smith S, Mourrain P, et al. Circadian and homeostatic regulation of structural synaptic plasticity in hypocretin neurons. Neuron. 2010;68:87-98 pubmed publisher..This behavioral effect is consistent with NPTX2b-mediated increased activity of HCRT circuitry. These data provide real-time in vivo evidence of circadian and homeostatic regulation of structural synaptic plasticity. ..
- Obholzer N, Wolfson S, Trapani J, Mo W, Nechiporuk A, Busch Nentwich E, et al. Vesicular glutamate transporter 3 is required for synaptic transmission in zebrafish hair cells. J Neurosci. 2008;28:2110-8 pubmed publisher..Lack of postsynaptic action currents in the mutants suggests that the remaining hair-cell synaptic vesicles contain insufficient levels of glutamate for generation of action potentials in first-order neurons. ..
- Sundvik M, Kudo H, Toivonen P, Rozov S, Chen Y, Panula P. The histaminergic system regulates wakefulness and orexin/hypocretin neuron development via histamine receptor H1 in zebrafish. FASEB J. 2011;25:4338-47 pubmed publisher..development via histamine receptor H1 in zebrafish...
- Gabriel J, Trivedi C, Maurer C, Ryu S, Bollmann J. Layer-specific targeting of direction-selective neurons in the zebrafish optic tectum. Neuron. 2012;76:1147-60 pubmed publisher..Hence, different directions are represented in different layers, which suggests a simple mechanism for how tectal neurons acquire directional tuning in a nascent circuit. ..
- Yokogawa T, Marin W, Faraco J, Pezeron G, Appelbaum L, Zhang J, et al. Characterization of sleep in zebrafish and insomnia in hypocretin receptor mutants. PLoS Biol. 2007;5:e277 pubmed..Our study validates the use of zebrafish for the study of sleep and indicates molecular diversity in sleep regulatory networks across vertebrates. ..
- Chen S, Reichert S, Singh C, Oikonomou G, Rihel J, Prober D. Light-Dependent Regulation of Sleep and Wake States by Prokineticin 2 in Zebrafish. Neuron. 2017;95:153-168.e6 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that Prok2 antagonizes the direct wake-promoting effect of light in zebrafish, in part through the induction of galn expression in the hypothalamus. ..
- Yelin Bekerman L, Elbaz I, Diber A, Dahary D, Gibbs Bar L, Alon S, et al. Hypocretin neuron-specific transcriptome profiling identifies the sleep modulator Kcnh4a. elife. 2015;4:e08638 pubmed publisher..The mutant kcnh4a (kcnh4a(-/-)) larvae showed reduced sleep time and consolidation, specifically during the night, suggesting that Kcnh4a regulates sleep. ..
- Peukert D, Weber S, Lumsden A, Scholpp S. Lhx2 and Lhx9 determine neuronal differentiation and compartition in the caudal forebrain by regulating Wnt signaling. PLoS Biol. 2011;9:e1001218 pubmed publisher..We therefore suggest that after initial neural tube patterning, neurogenesis within a brain compartment influences the integrity of the neuronal progenitor pool and border formation of a neuromeric compartment. ..
- März M, Schmidt R, Rastegar S, Strahle U. Regenerative response following stab injury in the adult zebrafish telencephalon. Dev Dyn. 2011;240:2221-31 pubmed publisher..Remarkably, the proliferative response is almost completely restricted to the lesioned hemisphere indicating that signals inducing regeneration remain mainly confined within the lesioned half of the telencephalon. ..
- Aoki T, Kinoshita M, Aoki R, Agetsuma M, Aizawa H, Yamazaki M, et al. Imaging of neural ensemble for the retrieval of a learned behavioral program. Neuron. 2013;78:881-94 pubmed publisher..Moreover, the findings indicate that consolidated memory traces can be rapidly modified during reinforcement learning. ..
- von Trotha J, Vernier P, Bally Cuif L. Emotions and motivated behavior converge on an amygdala-like structure in the zebrafish. Eur J Neurosci. 2014;40:3302-15 pubmed publisher..They further suggest an evolutionarily conserved function of amygdala-like structures in positive emotions and motivated behavior in zebrafish and mammals. ..
- JuÃ¡rez Morales J, Schulte C, Pezoa S, Vallejo G, Hilinski W, England S, et al. Evx1 and Evx2 specify excitatory neurotransmitter fates and suppress inhibitory fates through a Pax2-independent mechanism. Neural Dev. 2016;11:5 pubmed publisher..These results significantly increase our understanding of the mechanisms of neuronal specification and the genetic networks involved in these processes. ..
- Chen A, Chiu C, Mosser E, Kahn S, Spence R, Prober D. QRFP and Its Receptors Regulate Locomotor Activity and Sleep in Zebrafish. J Neurosci. 2016;36:1823-40 pubmed publisher..We also show that QRFP overexpression reduces locomotor activity, whereas animals that lack QRFP signaling are more active and sleep less. These results suggest that QRFP signaling participates in the hypothalamic regulation of sleep. ..
- Robles E, Smith S, Baier H. Characterization of genetically targeted neuron types in the zebrafish optic tectum. Front Neural Circuits. 2011;5:1 pubmed publisher..These observations establish a framework for studying the morphological and functional differentiation of neural circuits in the zebrafish visual system. ..
- Ito Y, Tanaka H, Okamoto H, Ohshima T. Characterization of neural stem cells and their progeny in the adult zebrafish optic tectum. Dev Biol. 2010;342:26-38 pubmed publisher..These results demonstrate that the proliferating cells in the PGZ contribute to neuronal and glial lineages to maintain the structure of the optic tectum in adult zebrafish. ..
- Lee G, Sung S, Chang W, Kao T, Du H, Hsiao T, et al. Zebrafish larvae exposed to ginkgotoxin exhibit seizure-like behavior that is relieved by pyridoxal-5'-phosphate, GABA and anti-epileptic drugs. Dis Model Mech. 2012;5:785-95 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, our data suggests that this ginkgotoxin-induced seizure in zebrafish larvae could serve as an in vivo model for epileptic seizure research and potential AED screening. ..
- Villar Cerviño V, Rocancourt C, Menuet A, Da Silva C, Wincker P, Anadón R, et al. A vesicular glutamate transporter in lampreys: cDNA cloning and early expression in the nervous system. J Chem Neuroanat. 2010;40:71-81 pubmed publisher..Comparison of the early expression of VGluT genes between the lamprey and some anamniotan gnathostomes (frog, zebrafish) reveals a conserved expression pattern, likely to reflect ancestral vertebrate characteristics...
- Fernandes A, Beddows E, Filippi A, Driever W. Orthopedia transcription factor otpa and otpb paralogous genes function during dopaminergic and neuroendocrine cell specification in larval zebrafish. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e75002 pubmed publisher..Otp may thus be crucial for defined neuronal cell types also in the hindbrain. ..
- Hilinski W, Bostrom J, England S, Juárez Morales J, De Jager S, Armant O, et al. Lmx1b is required for the glutamatergic fates of a subset of spinal cord neurons. Neural Dev. 2016;11:16 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our data significantly enhance our understanding of how spinal cord neurotransmitter fates are regulated. ..