Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: six3b
Description: SIX homeobox 3b
Alias: SIX3, cb347, six3.2, six6, SIX homeobox 3b, sine oculis homeobox homolog 3b, sine oculis homeobox homolog 6
- Jopling C, Hertog J. Essential role for Csk upstream of Fyn and Yes in zebrafish gastrulation. Mech Dev. 2007;124:129-36 pubmed..The Csk knock down phenotype was rescued by simultaneous partial knock down of Fyn and Yes. We conclude that Csk acts upstream of Fyn and Yes to control vertebrate gastrulation cell movements. ..
- Ebert A, Childs S, Hehr C, Cechmanek P, McFarlane S. Sema6a and Plxna2 mediate spatially regulated repulsion within the developing eye to promote eye vesicle cohesion. Development. 2014;141:2473-82 pubmed publisher..We propose a novel, tissue-autonomous mechanism of organ cohesion, with neutralization of repulsion suggested as a means to promote interactions between cells within a tissue domain. ..
- Jeong J, Einhorn Z, Mathur P, Chen L, Lee S, Kawakami K, et al. Patterning the zebrafish diencephalon by the conserved zinc-finger protein Fezl. Development. 2007;134:127-36 pubmed..Our findings reveal that Fezl is crucial for establishing regional subdivisions within the diencephalon and may also play a role in the development of the telencephalon and hypothalamus. ..
- Inoue F, Nagayoshi S, Ota S, Islam M, Tonou Fujimori N, Odaira Y, et al. Genomic organization, alternative splicing, and multiple regulatory regions of the zebrafish fgf8 gene. Dev Growth Differ. 2006;48:447-62 pubmed..Furthermore, comparison of the genomic sequence of fgf8 among different vertebrate species suggests that this regulatory mechanism is conserved during vertebrate evolution. ..
- Lauter G, Söll I, Hauptmann G. Molecular characterization of prosomeric and intraprosomeric subdivisions of the embryonic zebrafish diencephalon. J Comp Neurol. 2013;521:1093-118 pubmed publisher..Our comparative gene expression analysis conformed with the idea of a common bauplan for the diencephalon of anamniote and amniote vertebrates from fish to mammals. ..
- Suh C, Ellingsen S, Austbø L, Zhao X, Seo H, Fjose A. Autoregulatory binding sites in the zebrafish six3a promoter region define a new recognition sequence for Six3 proteins. FEBS J. 2010;277:1761-75 pubmed publisherThe homeodomain (HD) transcription factor Six3, which is a member of the Six/Sine oculis family, is essential for development of the eyes and forebrain in vertebrates...
- Peng G, Westerfield M. Lhx5 promotes forebrain development and activates transcription of secreted Wnt antagonists. Development. 2006;133:3191-200 pubmed..Our results demonstrate that Lhx5 is a required factor that promotes forebrain development and inhibits Wnt signaling by activating the transcription of secreted Wnt antagonists. ..
- Kim H, Lee M, Jeong Y, Ro H, Kim D, Shin Y, et al. Ottogi Inhibits Wnt/?-catenin Signaling by Regulating Cell Membrane Trafficking of Frizzled8. Sci Rep. 2017;7:13278 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our data indicate that OTG functions as a novel negative regulator of Wnt signaling during development by the modulation of cell surface expression of Fz receptor. ..
- Coyle R, Latimer A, Jessen J. Membrane-type 1 matrix metalloproteinase regulates cell migration during zebrafish gastrulation: evidence for an interaction with non-canonical Wnt signaling. Exp Cell Res. 2008;314:2150-62 pubmed publisher..Together, our results support the notion that pathways regulating pericellular proteolysis and cell polarity converge to promote efficient cell migration. ..
- Carlin D, Sepich D, Grover V, Cooper M, Solnica Krezel L, Inbal A. Six3 cooperates with Hedgehog signaling to specify ventral telencephalon by promoting early expression of Foxg1a and repressing Wnt signaling. Development. 2012;139:2614-24 pubmed publisher..Six3 in telencephalon development, we analyzed zebrafish embryos deficient in two out of three Six3-related genes, six3b and six7, representing a partial loss of Six3 function...
- Qin Z, Barthel L, Raymond P. Genetic evidence for shared mechanisms of epimorphic regeneration in zebrafish. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2009;106:9310-5 pubmed publisher..Comparison of gene expression profiles from regenerating zebrafish retina, caudal fin, and heart muscle revealed additional candidate genes potentially implicated in injury-induced epimorphic regeneration in diverse zebrafish tissues. ..
- Sanek N, Taylor A, Nyholm M, Grinblat Y. Zebrafish zic2a patterns the forebrain through modulation of Hedgehog-activated gene expression. Development. 2009;136:3791-800 pubmed publisher..We demonstrate that in zebrafish, as in mouse, Hh signaling activates transcription of six3b in the developing forebrain. zic2a is also activated by Hh signaling, and represses six3b non-cell-autonomously, i...
- Gestri G, Carl M, Appolloni I, Wilson S, Barsacchi G, Andreazzoli M. Six3 functions in anterior neural plate specification by promoting cell proliferation and inhibiting Bmp4 expression. Development. 2005;132:2401-13 pubmedAlthough it is well established that Six3 is a crucial regulator of vertebrate eye and forebrain development, it is unknown whether this homeodomain protein has a role in the initial specification of the anterior neural plate...
- Xu X, He Y, Sun L, Ma S, Luo C. Maternal Vsx1 plays an essential role in regulating prechordal mesendoderm and forebrain formation in zebrafish. Dev Biol. 2014;394:264-76 pubmed publisher..Our results reveal a pivotal role for maternal Vsx1 as a direct transcriptional repressor of ntl expression at the margin of the zebrafish gastrula to ensure directional cell polarization and migration of PME cells. ..
- Vastenhouw N, Zhang Y, Woods I, Imam F, Regev A, Liu X, et al. Chromatin signature of embryonic pluripotency is established during genome activation. Nature. 2010;464:922-6 pubmed publisher..These results indicate that bivalent and monovalent domains might poise embryonic genes for activation and that the chromatin profile associated with pluripotency is established during the maternal-zygotic transition...
- Zhang T, Zhou X, Ma X, Liu J. Mechanisms of cadmium-caused eye hypoplasia and hypopigmentation in zebrafish embryos. Aquat Toxicol. 2015;167:68-76 pubmed publisher..Moreover, we found that compounds BIO or RA could neutralize the toxic effects of Cd. ..
- Fontaine R, Affaticati P, Bureau C, Colin I, Demarque M, Dufour S, et al. Dopaminergic Neurons Controlling Anterior Pituitary Functions: Anatomy and Ontogenesis in Zebrafish. Endocrinology. 2015;156:2934-48 pubmed publisher..This study offers some insights into the regional identity of the preoptic area and provides the first bases for future functional genetic studies on the development of DA neurons controlling anterior pituitary functions. ..
- Liu J, Zhang D, Xie X, Ouyang G, Liu X, Sun Y, et al. Eaf1 and Eaf2 negatively regulate canonical Wnt/?-catenin signaling. Development. 2013;140:1067-78 pubmed publisher..In summary, our evidence points to a novel role for Eaf1 and Eaf2 in inhibiting canonical Wnt/?-catenin signaling, which might form the mechanistic basis for Eaf1 and Eaf2 tumor suppressor activity. ..
- Loucks E, Ahlgren S. Deciphering the role of Shh signaling in axial defects produced by ethanol exposure. Birth Defects Res A Clin Mol Teratol. 2009;85:556-67 pubmed publisher..However, addition of exogenous Shh to ethanol treated zebrafish prevented many of the gross physical phenotypes, suggesting that the suppression of Shh-s is one of the major effects of ethanol exposure. ..
- Hashiguchi M, Mullins M. Anteroposterior and dorsoventral patterning are coordinated by an identical patterning clock. Development. 2013;140:1970-80 pubmed publisher..Thus, DV and AP patterning are intimately coordinated to allow cells to acquire both positional and temporal information simultaneously. ..
- Loucks E, Ahlgren S. Assessing teratogenic changes in a zebrafish model of fetal alcohol exposure. J Vis Exp. 2012;: pubmed publisher..Described here are the basic techniques used to study and manipulate the zebrafish FAS model. ..
- Paardekooper Overman J, Preisinger C, Prummel K, Bonetti M, Giansanti P, Heck A, et al. Phosphoproteomics-mediated identification of Fer kinase as a target of mutant Shp2 in Noonan and LEOPARD syndrome. PLoS ONE. 2014;9:e106682 pubmed publisher..Moreover, Fer knockdown cooperated with NS and LS, but not wild type Shp2 to induce developmental defects, suggesting a role for Fer in the pathogenesis of both NS and LS. ..
- Loucks E, Schwend T, Ahlgren S. Molecular changes associated with teratogen-induced cyclopia. Birth Defects Res A Clin Mol Teratol. 2007;79:642-51 pubmed..Instead, all teratogens studied produce a series of changes in the expression of gsc and six3b present in early axial development, as well as a later suppression of neural crest cell marker dlx3b...
- Samuel A, Rubinstein A, Azar T, Ben Moshe Livne Z, Kim S, Inbal A. Six3 regulates optic nerve development via multiple mechanisms. Sci Rep. 2016;6:20267 pubmed publisher..Here we show that in zebrafish, reduced function of transcription factor Six3 results in optic nerve hypoplasia and a wide repertoire of RGC axon pathfinding errors...
- Nakaya N, Lee H, Takada Y, Tzchori I, Tomarev S. Zebrafish olfactomedin 1 regulates retinal axon elongation in vivo and is a modulator of Wnt signaling pathway. J Neurosci. 2008;28:7900-10 pubmed publisher..of full-length Olfm1 increased the lateral separation of the expression domains of eye-field markers, rx3 and six3. The Olfm1-MO had the opposite effect...
- Kreiling J, Creton R, Reinisch C. Early embryonic exposure to polychlorinated biphenyls disrupts heat-shock protein 70 cognate expression in zebrafish. J Toxicol Environ Health A. 2007;70:1005-13 pubmed..The structural and biochemical changes in the developing central nervous system following early embryonic exposure to Aroclor 1254 may lead to alterations in the function of the affected regions. ..
- Cha Y, Kim S, Sepich D, Buchanan F, Solnica Krezel L, DuBois R. Cyclooxygenase-1-derived PGE2 promotes cell motility via the G-protein-coupled EP4 receptor during vertebrate gastrulation. Genes Dev. 2006;20:77-86 pubmed..This work demonstrates a critical requirement of PGE(2) signaling in promoting cell motility through the COX-1-Ptges-EP4 pathway, a previously unrecognized role for this biologically active lipid in early animal development. ..
- Muto A, Arai K, Watanabe S. Rab11-FIP4 is predominantly expressed in neural tissues and involved in proliferation as well as in differentiation during zebrafish retinal development. Dev Biol. 2006;292:90-102 pubmed
- Perkins B, Nicholas C, Baye L, Link B, Dowling J. dazed gene is necessary for late cell type development and retinal cell maintenance in the zebrafish retina. Dev Dyn. 2005;233:680-94 pubmed..Taken together, our studies suggest a role for the dazed gene in rod and Muller cell development and overall retinal cell survival and maintenance. ..
- Xie X, Liu J, Hu B, Xiao W. Zebrafish foxo3b negatively regulates canonical Wnt signaling to affect early embryogenesis. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e24469 pubmed publisher..Our studies provide an in vivo model for illustrating function of FOXO transcription factors in embryogenesis. ..
- Hashimoto H, Itoh M, Yamanaka Y, Yamashita S, Shimizu T, Solnica Krezel L, et al. Zebrafish Dkk1 functions in forebrain specification and axial mesendoderm formation. Dev Biol. 2000;217:138-52 pubmed..These data indicate that Dkk1, expressed in dorsal mesendoderm, functions in the formation of both the anterior nervous system and the axial mesendoderm in zebrafish. ..
- Sotolongo Lopez M, Alvarez Delfin K, Saade C, Vera D, Fadool J. Genetic Dissection of Dual Roles for the Transcription Factor six7 in Photoreceptor Development and Patterning in Zebrafish. PLoS Genet. 2016;12:e1005968 pubmed publisher..using TALENs and knockdown strategies confirm ljrp23ahub as a hypomorphic allele of six7, a teleost orthologue of six3, with known roles in forebrain patterning and expression of opsins...
- Chen Q, Takada R, Takada S. Loss of Porcupine impairs convergent extension during gastrulation in zebrafish. J Cell Sci. 2012;125:2224-34 pubmed publisher..Thus, a decrease of Porcn activity does not equivalently affect trafficking and lipidation of different Wnt proteins in zebrafish embryos and in cultured mammalian cells. ..
- Bebenek I, Gates R, Morris J, Hartenstein V, Jacobs D. sine oculis in basal Metazoa. Dev Genes Evol. 2004;214:342-51 pubmed
- Sun Z, Jin P, Tian T, Gu Y, Chen Y, Meng A. Activation and roles of ALK4/ALK7-mediated maternal TGFbeta signals in zebrafish embryo. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2006;345:694-703 pubmed
- Thomas J, Ranski A, Morgan G, Thummel R. Reactive gliosis in the adult zebrafish retina. Exp Eye Res. 2016;143:98-109 pubmed publisher..Interestingly, when cell cycle inhibition is released, a partial recovery of regeneration is observed. Together, these data demonstrate that zebrafish MÃ¼ller glia possess both gliotic and regenerative potential. ..
- Gongal P, Waskiewicz A. Zebrafish model of holoprosencephaly demonstrates a key role for TGIF in regulating retinoic acid metabolism. Hum Mol Genet. 2008;17:525-38 pubmed..The consequences of abnormal RA levels for forebrain patterning are profound, and imply that in human patients with TGIF deficiencies, increased forebrain RA levels contribute to the development of HPE. ..
- Lenkowski J, Qin Z, Sifuentes C, Thummel R, Soto C, Moens C, et al. Retinal regeneration in adult zebrafish requires regulation of TGF? signaling. Glia. 2013;61:1687-97 pubmed publisher..Here, we demonstrate that regulation of TGF? signaling by the corepressors Tgif1 and Six3b is critical for the proliferative response to photoreceptor destruction in the adult zebrafish retina...
- Gulati Leekha A, Goldman D. A reporter-assisted mutagenesis screen using alpha 1-tubulin-GFP transgenic zebrafish uncovers missteps during neuronal development and axonogenesis. Dev Biol. 2006;296:29-47 pubmed..Molecular identification of these loci and analysis of the remaining mutational repertoire will offer unique insights into the genetic inputs that go on to make a mature, differentiated neuron. ..
- von der Hardt S, Bakkers J, Inbal A, Carvalho L, Solnica Krezel L, Heisenberg C, et al. The Bmp gradient of the zebrafish gastrula guides migrating lateral cells by regulating cell-cell adhesion. Curr Biol. 2007;17:475-87 pubmed
- Kennedy B, Stearns G, Smyth V, Ramamurthy V, van Eeden F, Ankoudinova I, et al. Zebrafish rx3 and mab21l2 are required during eye morphogenesis. Dev Biol. 2004;270:336-49 pubmed..We propose that mab21l2 is an early downstream effector of rx3 and is critical for survival of eye progenitors. ..
- Paardekooper Overman J, Yi J, Bonetti M, Soulsby M, Preisinger C, Stokes M, et al. PZR coordinates Shp2 Noonan and LEOPARD syndrome signaling in zebrafish and mice. Mol Cell Biol. 2014;34:2874-89 pubmed publisher..Hence, we identify PZR as an NS and LS target. Enhanced PZR-mediated membrane recruitment of Shp2 serves as a common mechanism to direct overlapping pathophysiological characteristics of these PTPN11 mutations. ..
- Ando H, Kobayashi M, Tsubokawa T, Uyemura K, Furuta T, Okamoto H. Lhx2 mediates the activity of Six3 in zebrafish forebrain growth. Dev Biol. 2005;287:456-68 pubmed..Lhx2, a LIM-homeodomain protein, and Six3s (Six3b and Six3a), another homeodomain proteins, show very similar expression patterns early in forebrain development, ..
- Rhinn M, Lun K, Ahrendt R, Geffarth M, Brand M. Zebrafish gbx1 refines the midbrain-hindbrain boundary border and mediates the Wnt8 posteriorization signal. Neural Dev. 2009;4:12 pubmed publisher..In addition to its role in MHB formation, we have shown that gbx1 is a novel mediator of Wnt8 signaling during hindbrain patterning. ..
- McCollum C, Amin S, Pauerstein P, Lane M. A zebrafish LMO4 ortholog limits the size of the forebrain and eyes through negative regulation of six3b and rx3. Dev Biol. 2007;309:373-85 pubmed..We suggest that lmo4b activity is required at the neural boundary to restrict six3b expression, and later within the neural plate to for attenuation of rx3 expression independently of its effect on ..
- Dhakal S, Stevens C, Sebbagh M, Weiss O, Frey R, Adamson S, et al. Abnormal retinal development in Cloche mutant zebrafish. Dev Dyn. 2015;244:1439-1455 pubmed publisher..The disorganized retinal phenotype of clo-/- embryos is consistent with a neural and glial developmental patterning role for the early ocular vasculature that is independent of its eventual function in gas exchange. ..
- Iglesias A, Springelkamp H, van der Linde H, Severijnen L, Amin N, Oostra B, et al. Exome sequencing and functional analyses suggest that SIX6 is a gene involved in an altered proliferation-differentiation balance early in life and optic nerve degeneration at old age. Hum Mol Genet. 2014;23:1320-32 pubmed publisher..Previously, genome-wide significant evidence for the association of rs10483727 in SIX1-SIX6 locus with VCDR and subsequent POAG was found...
- O Quin K, Yoshizawa M, Doshi P, Jeffery W. Quantitative genetic analysis of retinal degeneration in the blind cavefish Astyanax mexicanus. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e57281 pubmed publisher..The regions we identify serve as a starting point for future studies on the genetics of retinal degeneration and eye disease using the evolutionary mutant model Astyanax. ..
- Ro H, Won M, Lee S, Kim K, Huh T, Kim C, et al. Sinup, a novel Siaz-interacting nuclear protein, modulates neural plate formation in the zebrafish embryos. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2005;332:993-1003 pubmed..Our report suggests that sinup expression should be tightly regulated during early embryonic development for the proper neural plate formation. ..
- Rau M, Fischer S, Neumann C. Zebrafish Trap230/Med12 is required as a coactivator for Sox9-dependent neural crest, cartilage and ear development. Dev Biol. 2006;296:83-93 pubmed..Mediator is a coactivator complex transducing the interaction of DNA-binding transcription factors with RNA polymerase II, and our results reveal a critical function of the Trap230 subunit as a coactivator for Sox9. ..
- Shao M, Wang M, Liu Y, Ge Y, Zhang Y, Shi D. Vegetally localised Vrtn functions as a novel repressor to modulate bmp2b transcription during dorsoventral patterning in zebrafish. Development. 2017;144:3361-3374 pubmed publisher..Our work unveils a novel maternal mechanism regulating zygotic BMP gradient in dorsoventral patterning. ..