Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: runx2b
Description: runt-related transcription factor 2b
Alias: runt-related transcription factor 2b, transcription factor Runx2
- Kerney R, Gross J, Hanken J. Runx2 is essential for larval hyobranchial cartilage formation in Xenopus laevis. Dev Dyn. 2007;236:1650-62 pubmed..Together these data reveal a shift in Runx2 function protein during vertebrate evolution towards its exclusive roles in cartilage hypertrophy and bone differentiation within the amniote lineage. ..
- Smith A, Avaron F, Guay D, Padhi B, Akimenko M. Inhibition of BMP signaling during zebrafish fin regeneration disrupts fin growth and scleroblasts differentiation and function. Dev Biol. 2006;299:438-54 pubmed
- van der Meulen T, Kranenbarg S, Schipper H, Samallo J, Van Leeuwen J, Franssen H. Identification and characterisation of two runx2 homologues in zebrafish with different expression patterns. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2005;1729:105-17 pubmed..In addition, splice forms exist that are novel when compared with mammals. Together, these findings comprise opportunities for selection and retention of the paralogues towards divergent and possibly new function. ..
- Yan Y, Willoughby J, Liu D, Crump J, Wilson C, Miller C, et al. A pair of Sox: distinct and overlapping functions of zebrafish sox9 co-orthologs in craniofacial and pectoral fin development. Development. 2005;132:1069-83 pubmed..By contrast, subfunction partitioning between zebrafish co-orthologs of tetrapod genes, such as sox9a and sox9b, can relax pleiotropy and reveal both early and late developmental gene functions. ..
- Chen Y, Lin Y, Lee G. Novel and unexpected functions of zebrafish CCAAT box binding transcription factor (NF-Y) B subunit during cartilages development. Bone. 2009;44:777-84 pubmed publisher..Staining with digoxigenin-labeled dlx2a, sox9a, runx2b and col2a1 riboprobes showed that nf-yb-morphants displayed reduced amounts of cranial neural crest cells which ..
- Wiweger M, de Andrea C, Scheepstra K, Zhao Z, Hogendoorn P. Possible effects of EXT2 on mesenchymal differentiation--lessons from the zebrafish. Orphanet J Rare Dis. 2014;9:35 pubmed publisher..Our observations in the ext2-null fish might explain the musculoskeletal defects that are often observed in MO patients. ..
- Felber K, Croucher P, Roehl H. Hedgehog signalling is required for perichondral osteoblast differentiation in zebrafish. Mech Dev. 2011;128:141-52 pubmed publisher..This result may point to subtle differences between the development of the skeleton in the skull and limb. ..
- Shin M, Jang Y, Yoo H, Kang D, Park M, Kim M, et al. N-formyl-methionyl-leucyl-phenylalanine (fMLP) promotes osteoblast differentiation via the N-formyl peptide receptor 1-mediated signaling pathway in human mesenchymal stem cells from bone marrow. J Biol Chem. 2011;286:17133-43 pubmed publisher..Collectively, our findings provide novel insight into the functional role of fMLP in bone biology, with important implications for its potential use as a therapeutic agent for treatment of bone-related disorders. ..
- Blum N, Begemann G. Osteoblast de- and redifferentiation are controlled by a dynamic response to retinoic acid during zebrafish fin regeneration. Development. 2015;142:2894-903 pubmed publisher..Our findings reveal a mechanism explaining how the osteoblast regenerative program is protected from adverse crosstalk with neighboring fibroblasts that advances our understanding of the regulation of bone repair by RA. ..
- Varga M, Sass M, Papp D, Takacs Vellai K, Kobolak J, Dinnyes A, et al. Autophagy is required for zebrafish caudal fin regeneration. Cell Death Differ. 2014;21:547-56 pubmed publisher..This novel cellular function of the autophagic process in regeneration implies that the role of cellular self-digestion in differentiation and tissue patterning is more fundamental than previously thought. ..
- Walker M, Miller C, Swartz M, Eberhart J, Kimmel C. phospholipase C, beta 3 is required for Endothelin1 regulation of pharyngeal arch patterning in zebrafish. Dev Biol. 2007;304:194-207 pubmed
- Hall C, Flores M, Murison G, Crosier K, Crosier P. An essential role for zebrafish Fgfrl1 during gill cartilage development. Mech Dev. 2006;123:925-40 pubmed..In addition, two transcription factors essential for chondrogenesis, sox9a and runx2b, fail to express within the mesenchymal condensations of the branchial arches...
- Macaulay L, Chernick M, Chen A, Hinton D, Bailey J, Kullman S, et al. Exposure to a PBDE/OH-BDE mixture alters juvenile zebrafish (Danio rerio) development. Environ Toxicol Chem. 2017;36:36-48 pubmed publisher..Overall, these results indicate that exposures to PBDE/OH-BDE mixtures adversely impact zebrafish maturation during metamorphosis. Environ Toxicol Chem 2017;36:36-48. Â© 2016 SETAC. ..
- Ma D, Wang L, Wang S, Gao Y, Wei Y, Liu F. Foxn1 maintains thymic epithelial cells to support T-cell development via mcm2 in zebrafish. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2012;109:21040-5 pubmed publisher..Our results reveal that the foxn1-mcm2 axis plays a central role in the genetic regulatory network controlling thymus development in zebrafish...
- Kim Y, No Lee J, Bhandari S, Nam I, Yoo K, Kim S, et al. Cartilage development requires the function of Estrogen-related receptor alpha that directly regulates sox9 expression in zebrafish. Sci Rep. 2015;5:18011 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our results indicate for the first time that ESRRa is essential for cartilage development by regulating sox9 expression during vertebrate development. ..
- Huycke T, Eames B, Kimmel C. Hedgehog-dependent proliferation drives modular growth during morphogenesis of a dermal bone. Development. 2012;139:2371-80 pubmed publisher..Hence, patterning within a module may include adjacent regions of functionally related bones and might require that signaling pathways function over an extended period of development. ..
- Zancan I, Bellesso S, Costa R, Salvalaio M, Stroppiano M, Hammond C, et al. Glucocerebrosidase deficiency in zebrafish affects primary bone ossification through increased oxidative stress and reduced Wnt/Î²-catenin signaling. Hum Mol Genet. 2015;24:1280-94 pubmed publisher..Our results support a novel model in which a primary defect in canonical Wnt signaling antecedes bone defects in type 1 GD. ..
- Jiang Y, Yan Y, Wang X, Zhu G, Xu Y. Hepcidin inhibition on the effect of osteogenesis in zebrafish. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2016;476:1-6 pubmed publisher..Quantitative real-time PCR analyses revealed the osteoblast-specific genes alp, runx2a, runx2b, and sp7 in morphants are down-regulated...
- Chen B, Yan Y, Liu C, Bo L, Li G, Wang H, et al. Therapeutic effect of deferoxamine on iron overload-induced inhibition of osteogenesis in a zebrafish model. Calcif Tissue Int. 2014;94:353-60 pubmed publisher..apparent inhibition of bone formation, accompanied by decreased expression of osteoblast-specific genes (runx2a, runx2b, osteocalcin, osteopontin, ALP, and collagen type I)...
- Haga Y, Dominique V, Du S. Analyzing notochord segmentation and intervertebral disc formation using the twhh:gfp transgenic zebrafish model. Transgenic Res. 2009;18:669-83 pubmed publisher..These studies demonstrate that the twhh:gfp transgenic zebrafish is a useful model for studying vertebral segmentation and disc formation, and moreover, that RA signaling may play a role in this process...
- Fraher D, Hodge J, Collier F, McMillan J, Kennedy R, Ellis M, et al. Citalopram and sertraline exposure compromises embryonic bone development. Mol Psychiatry. 2016;21:656-64 pubmed publisher..These results highlight the need to further investigate the risks of SSRI use during pregnancy in exposing unborn babies to potential skeletal abnormalities. ..
- Kague E, Roy P, Asselin G, Hu G, Simonet J, Stanley A, et al. Osterix/Sp7 limits cranial bone initiation sites and is required for formation of sutures. Dev Biol. 2016;413:160-72 pubmed publisher..The delay in bone maturation caused by loss of Sp7 leads to unregulated bone formation, revealing a new mechanism for patterning the skull and sutures. ..
- Chiba A, Watanabe Takano H, Terai K, Fukui H, Miyazaki T, Uemura M, et al. Osteocrin, a peptide secreted from the heart and other tissues, contributes to cranial osteogenesis and chondrogenesis in zebrafish. Development. 2017;144:334-344 pubmed publisher..These data demonstrate that Ostn secreted from the heart contributes to bone formation as an endocrine hormone. ..
- Geurtzen K, Knopf F, Wehner D, Huitema L, Schulte Merker S, Weidinger G. Mature osteoblasts dedifferentiate in response to traumatic bone injury in the zebrafish fin and skull. Development. 2014;141:2225-34 pubmed publisher..Our findings suggest a fundamental role for osteoblast dedifferentiation in reparative bone formation in fish and indicate that adult fish osteoblasts display elevated cellular plasticity compared with mammalian bone-forming cells. ..
- Heude E, Shaikho S, Ekker M. The dlx5a/dlx6a genes play essential roles in the early development of zebrafish median fin and pectoral structures. PLoS ONE. 2014;9:e98505 pubmed publisher..The dlx5a/6a knock down also causes a failure of cleithrum formation associated with a drastic loss of runx2b and col10a1 expression...
- Wincent E, Stegeman J, JÃ¶nsson M. Combination effects of AHR agonists and Wnt/Î²-catenin modulators in zebrafish embryos: Implications for physiological and toxicological AHR functions. Toxicol Appl Pharmacol. 2015;284:163-79 pubmed publisher..We propose that the AHR has a physiological role in regulating Î²-catenin during development, and that this is one point of intersection linking toxicological and physiological AHR-governed processes. ..
- Niu N, Shao R, Yan G, Zou W. Bromodomain and Extra-terminal (BET) Protein Inhibitors Suppress Chondrocyte Differentiation and Restrain Bone Growth. J Biol Chem. 2016;291:26647-26657 pubmed publisher..Collectively, these results suggest that BET bromodomain inhibition may have side effects on skeletal bone structures. ..
- Walker M, Miller C, Coffin Talbot J, Stock D, Kimmel C. Zebrafish furin mutants reveal intricacies in regulating Endothelin1 signaling in craniofacial patterning. Dev Biol. 2006;295:194-205 pubmed
- Yokokura T, Kamei H, Shibano T, Yamanaka D, Sawada Yamaguchi R, Hakuno F, et al. The Short-Stature Homeobox-Containing Gene (shox/SHOX) Is Required for the Regulation of Cell Proliferation and Bone Differentiation in Zebrafish Embryo and Human Mesenchymal Stem Cells. Front Endocrinol (Lausanne). 2017;8:125 pubmed publisher
- Zhang Y, Huang H, Zhao G, Yokoyama T, Vega H, Huang Y, et al. ATP6V1H Deficiency Impairs Bone Development through Activation of MMP9 and MMP13. PLoS Genet. 2017;13:e1006481 pubmed publisher..We propose that MMP9/MMP13 could be therapeutic targets for patients with this rare genetic disease. ..
- Nakada C, Iida A, Tabata Y, Watanabe S. Forkhead transcription factor foxe1 regulates chondrogenesis in zebrafish. J Exp Zool B Mol Dev Evol. 2009;312:827-40 pubmed publisher..In contrast, at 2 dpf, a severe reduction in the expression of sox9a, colIIaI, and runx2b, which play roles in chondrocytic proliferation and differentiation, was observed...
- Renn J, Winkler C, Schartl M, Fischer R, Goerlich R. Zebrafish and medaka as models for bone research including implications regarding space-related issues. Protoplasma. 2006;229:209-14 pubmed..Furthermore, it will help to identify novel genes and regulatory pathways of bone homeostasis and skeletal disorders also in higher vertebrates, including disorders caused by altered gravity. ..
- Chuang H, Cheng H, Hsiao K, Lin C, Lin M, Pan H. The zebrafish homeobox gene irxl1 is required for brain and pharyngeal arch morphogenesis. Dev Dyn. 2010;239:639-50 pubmed publisher..These observations suggest that irxl1 may regulate factors involved in brain and pharyngeal arch development. ..
- Suzuki N, Hanmoto T, Yano S, Furusawa Y, Ikegame M, Tabuchi Y, et al. Low-intensity pulsed ultrasound induces apoptosis in osteoclasts: Fish scales are a suitable model for the analysis of bone metabolism by ultrasound. Comp Biochem Physiol A Mol Integr Physiol. 2016;195:26-31 pubmed publisher..Thus, we are the first to demonstrate that LIPUS directly functions to osteoclasts and to conclude that LIPUS directly causes apoptosis in osteoclasts shortly after exposure. ..
- Suarez Bregua P, Saxena A, Bronner M, Rotllant J. Targeted Pth4-expressing cell ablation impairs skeletal mineralization in zebrafish. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0186444 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these results suggest that Pth4-expressing hypothalamic neurons participate in the regulation of bone metabolism, possibly through regulating phosphate balance during zebrafish development. ..
- Felber K, Elks P, Lecca M, Roehl H. Expression of osterix Is Regulated by FGF and Wnt/Î²-Catenin Signalling during Osteoblast Differentiation. PLoS ONE. 2015;10:e0144982 pubmed publisher..Based upon these data, we propose that FGF and Wnt/Î²-Catenin pathways act in part by directing transcription of osx to promote osteoblast differentiation at sites of bone formation. ..
- Kara N, Wei C, Commanday A, Patton J. miR-27 regulates chondrogenesis by suppressing focal adhesion kinase during pharyngeal arch development. Dev Biol. 2017;429:321-334 pubmed publisher..These data support a crucial role for miR-27 in promoting chondrogenic differentiation in the pharyngeal arches through regulation of FAK. ..
- Dalcq J, Pasque V, Ghaye A, Larbuisson A, Motte P, Martial J, et al. RUNX3, EGR1 and SOX9B form a regulatory cascade required to modulate BMP-signaling during cranial cartilage development in zebrafish. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e50140 pubmed publisher..Runx3, Egr1, Sox9b and BMP signaling are required for expression of runx2b, one of the key regulator of cranial cartilage maturation and bone formation...
- Nah G, Lim Z, Tay B, Osato M, Venkatesh B. Runx family genes in a cartilaginous fish, the elephant shark (Callorhinchus milii). PLoS ONE. 2014;9:e93816 pubmed publisher..In summary, our analysis reveals that the genomic organization and expression profiles of Runx genes were already complex in the common ancestor of jawed vertebrates...
- van der Velden Y, Wang L, Querol Cano L, Haramis A. The polycomb group protein ring1b/rnf2 is specifically required for craniofacial development. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e73997 pubmed publisher..The zebrafish ring1b mutant provides a molecular model for investigating these mechanisms and may lead to the discovery of new treatments or preventions of craniofacial abnormalities. ..
- Carvalho F, Fernandes A, Cancela M, Gavaia P. Improved regeneration and de novo bone formation in a diabetic zebrafish model treated with paricalcitol and cinacalcet. Wound Repair Regen. 2017;25:432-442 pubmed publisher..Gene expression analysis showed an up-regulation for runt-related transcription factor 2b (runx2b), bone gamma-carboxyglutamic acid-containing protein (bglap), insulin a (insa) and insulin b (insb) and a trend of ..
- Larbuisson A, Dalcq J, Martial J, Muller M. Fgf receptors Fgfr1a and Fgfr2 control the function of pharyngeal endoderm in late cranial cartilage development. Differentiation. 2013;86:192-206 pubmed publisher..defects in cartilage formation at 4 dpf and a decrease in expression of the late chondrocyte markers barx1 and runx2b. Although endodermal pouches are correctly formed and patterned, receptor knock down leads to decreased expression ..
- Zhao H, Wang W, Luo Z, Cao H, Shi Y. Overexpression of p204 leads to abnormal embryos and osteogenesis in zebrafish. Front Biosci (Elite Ed). 2011;3:115-24 pubmed..Furthermore, the expressions of some genes (vent, runx2b, osn) involved in dorsoventral patterning and osteogenesis were significantly upregulated after p204 injection...
- Eames B, Amores A, Yan Y, Postlethwait J. Evolution of the osteoblast: skeletogenesis in gar and zebrafish. BMC Evol Biol. 2012;12:27 pubmed publisher..More broadly, our data suggest that the molecular fingerprint of the osteoblast, which largely is constrained among land animals, was not fixed during early vertebrate evolution. ..
- Yang D, Tsai C, Liao Y, Fu H, Tsay H, Huang T, et al. Twist controls skeletal development and dorsoventral patterning by regulating runx2 in zebrafish. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e27324 pubmed publisher..Overexpression of twist1a or twist1b decreased the expression of runx2b, whereas twist1a and twist1b knockdown increased runx2b expression...
- Topczewska J, Shoela R, Tomaszewski J, Mirmira R, Gosain A. The Morphogenesis of Cranial Sutures in Zebrafish. PLoS ONE. 2016;11:e0165775 pubmed publisher..for col1a1a, col2a1a, col10a1, bglap/osteocalcin, fgfr1a, fgfr1b, fgfr2, fgfr3, foxq1, twist2, twist3, runx2a, runx2b, sp7/osterix, and spp1/ osteopontin, indicating that the expression of genes involved in suture development in ..
- Yan Y, Bhattacharya P, He X, Ponugoti B, Marquardt B, Layman J, et al. Duplicated zebrafish co-orthologs of parathyroid hormone-related peptide (PTHrP, Pthlh) play different roles in craniofacial skeletogenesis. J Endocrinol. 2012;214:421-35 pubmed publisher..Knockdown of pthlha but not pthlhb caused runx2b overexpression in craniofacial cartilages and premature bone mineralization...
- Knopf F, Hammond C, Chekuru A, Kurth T, Hans S, Weber C, et al. Bone regenerates via dedifferentiation of osteoblasts in the zebrafish fin. Dev Cell. 2011;20:713-24 pubmed publisher..Thus, bone can regenerate from mature osteoblasts via dedifferentiation, a finding with potential implications for human bone repair. ..