Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: rho
Alias: RH1, rh1.1, wu:fi06d11, zfo2, zfrho, rhodopsin, retinal rod opsin pigment rh1.1, rhodopsin-like-1.1 rod opsin, rod opsin
- Nelson S, Frey R, Wardwell S, Stenkamp D. The developmental sequence of gene expression within the rod photoreceptor lineage in embryonic zebrafish. Dev Dyn. 2008;237:2903-17 pubmed publisher..Postmitotic, maturing rods also expressed nrl, rod opsin, and rod transducin/gnat1...
- Weber A, Hochmann S, Cimalla P, Gärtner M, Kuscha V, Hans S, et al. Characterization of light lesion paradigms and optical coherence tomography as tools to study adult retina regeneration in zebrafish. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e80483 pubmed publisher..Collectively, the light lesion and imaging assays described here represent powerful tools for studying degeneration and regeneration processes in the adult zebrafish retina. ..
- Insinna C, Pathak N, Perkins B, Drummond I, Besharse J. The homodimeric kinesin, Kif17, is essential for vertebrate photoreceptor sensory outer segment development. Dev Biol. 2008;316:160-70 pubmed publisher..Our analysis shows that Kif17 is essential for photoreceptor OS development, and suggests that Kif17 plays a cell type specific role in vertebrate ciliogenesis. ..
- Bernardos R, Lentz S, Wolfe M, Raymond P. Notch-Delta signaling is required for spatial patterning and Müller glia differentiation in the zebrafish retina. Dev Biol. 2005;278:381-95 pubmed..In contrast to neurons, Müller glia failed to differentiate suggesting an instructive role for Notch-Delta signaling in gliogenesis. ..
- Hochmann S, Kaslin J, Hans S, Weber A, Machate A, Geffarth M, et al. Fgf signaling is required for photoreceptor maintenance in the adult zebrafish retina. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e30365 pubmed publisher..Ultimately, rod and cone photoreceptors are regenerated completely. Our study reveals the requirement of Fgf signaling to maintain photoreceptors and for proliferation during regeneration in the adult zebrafish retina. ..
- Montgomery J, Parsons M, Hyde D. A novel model of retinal ablation demonstrates that the extent of rod cell death regulates the origin of the regenerated zebrafish rod photoreceptors. J Comp Neurol. 2010;518:800-14 pubmed publisher..Second, the rod cell death must be acute, rather than chronic, to stimulate regeneration from the Müller glia. This suggests that the zebrafish retina possesses mechanisms to quantify the amount and timing of rod cell death. ..
- Takechi M, Kawamura S. Temporal and spatial changes in the expression pattern of multiple red and green subtype opsin genes during zebrafish development. J Exp Biol. 2005;208:1337-45 pubmed..These results provide the framework for subsequent studies of opsin gene regulation and for probing functional rationale of the developmental changes by using the power of zebrafish genetics. ..
- Zhang Y, Yang Y, Trujillo C, Zhong W, Leung Y. The expression of irx7 in the inner nuclear layer of zebrafish retina is essential for a proper retinal development and lamination. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e36145 pubmed publisher..Since the expression of known TFs that can specify specific retinal cell type was also altered in Irx7-deficient retinas, thus the irx7 gene network is possibly a novel regulatory circuit for retinal development and lamination. ..
- Ziv L, Tovin A, Strasser D, Gothilf Y. Spectral sensitivity of melatonin suppression in the zebrafish pineal gland. Exp Eye Res. 2007;84:92-9 pubmed..Opsins-specific RT-PCR analysis confirmed the expression of exo-rhodopsin and visual red-sensitive opsin in the pineal gland, while other zebrafish visual opsins as well as VA and VAL ..
- Bachmann Gagescu R, Phelps I, Stearns G, Link B, Brockerhoff S, Moens C, et al. The ciliopathy gene cc2d2a controls zebrafish photoreceptor outer segment development through a role in Rab8-dependent vesicle trafficking. Hum Mol Genet. 2011;20:4041-55 pubmed publisher..Our data support a model where Cc2d2a, localized at the photoreceptor connecting cilium/transition zone, facilitates protein transport through a role in Rab8-dependent vesicle trafficking and fusion. ..
- Kassen S, Ramanan V, Montgomery J, T Burket C, Liu C, Vihtelic T, et al. Time course analysis of gene expression during light-induced photoreceptor cell death and regeneration in albino zebrafish. Dev Neurobiol. 2007;67:1009-31 pubmed..Some of the Stat3-positive Müller cells expressed PCNA at 31 h, suggesting that Stat3 may play a role in signaling a subset of Müller cells to proliferate during the regeneration response. ..
- Krock B, Perkins B. The intraflagellar transport protein IFT57 is required for cilia maintenance and regulates IFT-particle-kinesin-II dissociation in vertebrate photoreceptors. J Cell Sci. 2008;121:1907-15 pubmed publisher..We conclude that IFT20 requires IFT57 to associate with the IFT particle and that IFT57 and/or IFT20 mediate kinesin II dissociation. ..
- Linder B, Dill H, Hirmer A, Brocher J, Lee G, Mathavan S, et al. Systemic splicing factor deficiency causes tissue-specific defects: a zebrafish model for retinitis pigmentosa. Hum Mol Genet. 2011;20:368-77 pubmed publisher..Hence, various routes affecting the tri-snRNP can elicit tissue-specific gene expression defects and lead to the RP phenotype. ..
- Alvarez Delfin K, Morris A, Snelson C, Gamse J, Gupta T, Marlow F, et al. Tbx2b is required for ultraviolet photoreceptor cell specification during zebrafish retinal development. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2009;106:2023-8 pubmed publisher..Based upon these data, we propose a previously undescribed function for tbx2b in photoreceptor cell precursors, to promote the UV cone fate by repressing the rod differentiation pathway. ..
- Hyatt G, Schmitt E, Fadool J, Dowling J. Retinoic acid alters photoreceptor development in vivo. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1996;93:13298-303 pubmed..Our data suggest that the RA signaling pathway is involved in the differentiation and maturation of both the rod and cone photoreceptors within the developing zebrafish retina. ..
- Liu Q, Frey R, Babb Clendenon S, Liu B, Francl J, Wilson A, et al. Differential expression of photoreceptor-specific genes in the retina of a zebrafish cadherin2 mutant glass onion and zebrafish cadherin4 morphants. Exp Eye Res. 2007;84:163-75 pubmed..we have analyzed expression patterns of several photoreceptor-specific genes (crx, gnat1, gnat2, irbp, otx5, rod opsin, rx1, and uv opsin) and/or a cone photoreceptor marker (zpr-1) in the retina of a zebrafish cadherin2 mutant, ..
- Hsu Y, Jensen A. Multiple domains in the Crumbs Homolog 2a (Crb2a) protein are required for regulating rod photoreceptor size. BMC Cell Biol. 2010;11:60 pubmed publisher..Our results also suggest that the PDZ-binding domain in Crb2a might bring a protein(s) into the Crb complex that alters the function of the FERM-binding domain. ..
- Christensen A, Jensen A. Tissue-specific requirements for specific domains in the FERM protein Moe/Epb4.1l5 during early zebrafish development. BMC Dev Biol. 2008;8:3 pubmed publisher..1l5long, and suggest that additional C' terminal sequences are important for zebrafish retinal development. Additionally, our data provide further evidence that Moe is a negative regulator of rod outer segment size. ..
- Shen Y, Raymond P. Zebrafish cone-rod (crx) homeobox gene promotes retinogenesis. Dev Biol. 2004;269:237-51 pubmed..Zebrafish have two genes in the Otx5/crx orthology class, and we previously showed that crx can transactivate rhodopsin expression in vitro, and that otx5 (orthodenticle-related gene), but not crx, regulates expression of circadian ..
- Luo W, Williams J, Smallwood P, Touchman J, Roman L, Nathans J. Proximal and distal sequences control UV cone pigment gene expression in transgenic zebrafish. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:19286-93 pubmed..215 and -110 bp (with respect to the initiator methionine codon) can function in the context of a zebrafish rhodopsin promotor to convert its specificity from rod-only expression to rod and UV cone expression...
- Chen J, Rattner A, Nathans J. The rod photoreceptor-specific nuclear receptor Nr2e3 represses transcription of multiple cone-specific genes. J Neurosci. 2005;25:118-29 pubmed
- Schmitt E, Dowling J. Early retinal development in the zebrafish, Danio rerio: light and electron microscopic analyses. J Comp Neurol. 1999;404:515-36 pubmed..Retinal differentiation in the zebrafish corresponds with that generally described in other vertebrates and can be correlated with the development of visual and electroretinographic responses in the animal. ..
- Fadool J. Development of a rod photoreceptor mosaic revealed in transgenic zebrafish. Dev Biol. 2003;258:277-90 pubmed..The spatial and temporal expression of EGFP, under the control of the Xenopus rhodopsin gene promoter, was nearly identical to the endogenous rhodopsin...
- Wada Y, Sugiyama J, Okano T, Fukada Y. GRK1 and GRK7: unique cellular distribution and widely different activities of opsin phosphorylation in the zebrafish rods and cones. J Neurochem. 2006;98:824-37 pubmed..The recombinant GRKs phosphorylated light-activated rhodopsin, and the Vmax value of the major cone subtype, GRK7-1, was 32-fold higher than that of the rod kinase, GRK1A...
- Ryu S, Holzschuh J, Erhardt S, Ettl A, Driever W. Depletion of minichromosome maintenance protein 5 in the zebrafish retina causes cell-cycle defect and apoptosis. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2005;102:18467-72 pubmed
- Prabhudesai S, Cameron D, Stenkamp D. Targeted effects of retinoic acid signaling upon photoreceptor development in zebrafish. Dev Biol. 2005;287:157-67 pubmed..Exposure to exogenous RA increased the number of photoreceptors expressing rod opsin and red cone opsin, and decreased the number of photoreceptors expressing the blue and UV cone opsins, ..
- Morris A, Schroeter E, Bilotta J, Wong R, Fadool J. Cone survival despite rod degeneration in XOPS-mCFP transgenic zebrafish. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2005;46:4762-71 pubmed..Zebrafish transgenic for XOPS-mCFP, a membrane-targeted form of cyan fluorescent protein driven by the Xenopus rhodopsin promoter, were generated by plasmid injection...
- Viringipurampeer I, Shan X, Gregory Evans K, Zhang J, Mohammadi Z, Gregory Evans C. Rip3 knockdown rescues photoreceptor cell death in blind pde6c zebrafish. Cell Death Differ. 2014;21:665-75 pubmed publisher..As bystander cell death is an important feature of many retinal diseases, combinatorial approaches targeting different cell death pathways may evolve as an important general principle in treatment. ..
- Wang Y, Cai S, Cui J, Chen Y, Tang X, Li Y. Correlation between photoreceptor injury-regeneration and behavior in a zebrafish model. Neural Regen Res. 2017;12:795-803 pubmed publisher..This study demonstrates that the zebrafish retina has a robust capacity for regeneration. Visual impairment and stress responses following high-intensity light stimulation appear to contribute to the alteration of behaviors. ..
- Kawamura S, Takeshita K, Tsujimura T, Kasagi S, Matsumoto Y. Evolutionarily conserved and divergent regulatory sequences in the fish rod opsin promoter. Comp Biochem Physiol B Biochem Mol Biol. 2005;141:391-9 pubmed..In the rod opsin proximal promoter region (RPPR) of zebrafish (Danio rerio), the BAT 1 regulatory region contains highly ..
- Huang H, Dai E, Liu J, Tu C, Yang T, Tsai H. The embryonic expression patterns and the knockdown phenotypes of zebrafish ADP-ribosylation factor-like 6 interacting protein gene. Dev Dyn. 2009;238:232-40 pubmed publisher..We further confirmed that opsins of arl6ip-morphants were not transcribed. Based on this evidence, Arl6ip may play important roles in zebrafish ocular, heart, and fin-bud development. ..
- Chen Q, Gundlach M, Yang S, Jiang J, Velki M, Yin D, et al. Quantitative investigation of the mechanisms of microplastics and nanoplastics toward zebrafish larvae locomotor activity. Sci Total Environ. 2017;584-585:1022-1031 pubmed publisher..Results showed that microplastics alone exhibited no significant effects except for the upregulated zfrho visual gene expression; whereas nanoplastics inhibited the larval locomotion by 22% during the last darkness ..
- Chen X, Sheng X, Zhuang W, Sun X, Liu G, Shi X, et al. GUCA1A mutation causes maculopathy in a five-generation family with a wide spectrum of severity. Genet Med. 2017;19:945-954 pubmed publisher..The diverse pathogenic modes of GUCA1A mutations may explain the phenotypic diversities.Genet Med advance online publication 26 January 2017. ..
- Tsujikawa M, Omori Y, Biyanwila J, Malicki J. Mechanism of positioning the cell nucleus in vertebrate photoreceptors. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2007;104:14819-24 pubmed..These findings reveal an important mechanism that regulates nuclear position in vertebrate neurons. ..
- Asaoka Y, Hata S, Namae M, Furutani Seiki M, Nishina H. The Hippo pathway controls a switch between retinal progenitor cell proliferation and photoreceptor cell differentiation in zebrafish. PLoS ONE. 2014;9:e97365 pubmed publisher..such as otx5 and crx, which orchestrate photoreceptor cell differentiation by activating the expression of rhodopsin and other photoreceptor cell genes...
- Gramage E, D Cruz T, Taylor S, Thummel R, Hitchcock P. Midkine-a protein localization in the developing and adult retina of the zebrafish and its function during photoreceptor regeneration. PLoS ONE. 2015;10:e0121789 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that during photoreceptor regeneration Mdka regulates aspects of injury-induced cell proliferation. ..
- Bessa J, Tena J, de la Calle Mustienes E, Fernández Miñán A, Naranjo S, Fernandez A, et al. Zebrafish enhancer detection (ZED) vector: a new tool to facilitate transgenesis and the functional analysis of cis-regulatory regions in zebrafish. Dev Dyn. 2009;238:2409-17 pubmed publisher..More strikingly, insulator sequences from mouse and chicken, but not conserved in zebrafish, maintain their insulator capacity when tested in this model. ..
- Zhao C, Omori Y, Brodowska K, Kovach P, Malicki J. Kinesin-2 family in vertebrate ciliogenesis. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2012;109:2388-93 pubmed publisher..These data reveal unexpected diversity of functional relationships between vertebrate ciliary kinesins, and show that the repertoire of kinesin motors changes in some cilia during their differentiation. ..
- Yoshikawa S, Vila A, Segelken J, Lin Y, Mitchell C, Nguyen D, et al. Zebrafish connexin 79.8 (Gja8a): A lens connexin used as an electrical synapse in some neurons. Dev Neurobiol. 2017;77:548-561 pubmed publisher..These properties allow coupling to be strongly restricted in situ, a frequently observed property for electrical synapses. Â© 2016 Wiley Periodicals, Inc. Develop Neurobiol 77: 548-561, 2017. ..
- Becker T, Burgess S, Amsterdam A, Allende M, Hopkins N. not really finished is crucial for development of the zebrafish outer retina and encodes a transcription factor highly homologous to human Nuclear Respiratory Factor-1 and avian Initiation Binding Repressor. Development. 1998;125:4369-78 pubmed..This demonstrates the power of insertional mutagenesis as a means for characterizing novel genes necessary for vertebrate retinal development. ..
- Li W, Zhou L, Li Z, Wang Y, Shi J, Yang Y, et al. Zebrafish Lbh-like Is Required for Otx2-mediated Photoreceptor Differentiation. Int J Biol Sci. 2015;11:688-700 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, knockdown of lbh-like increases the activity of Notch pathway and perturbs the balance among proliferation, differentiation and survival of photoreceptor precursors. ..
- Zhang L, CHO J, Ptak D, Leung Y. The role of egr1 in early zebrafish retinogenesis. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e56108 pubmed publisher..This abnormal and prolonged expression of ptf1a during retinogenesis might affect the differentiation of ACs and HCs in the Egr1-knockdown retinas. ..
- Ebert A, Childs S, Hehr C, Cechmanek P, McFarlane S. Sema6a and Plxna2 mediate spatially regulated repulsion within the developing eye to promote eye vesicle cohesion. Development. 2014;141:2473-82 pubmed publisher..We propose a novel, tissue-autonomous mechanism of organ cohesion, with neutralization of repulsion suggested as a means to promote interactions between cells within a tissue domain. ..
- Chen X, Liu Y, Sheng X, Tam P, Zhao K, Chen X, et al. PRPF4 mutations cause autosomal dominant retinitis pigmentosa. Hum Mol Genet. 2014;23:2926-39 pubmed publisher..We conclude that mutations of PRPF4 cause RP via haploinsufficiency and dominant-negative effects, and establish PRPF4 as a new U4/U6-U5 snRNP component associated with adRP. ..
- Krock B, Bilotta J, Perkins B. Noncell-autonomous photoreceptor degeneration in a zebrafish model of choroideremia. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2007;104:4600-5 pubmed..These results suggest that therapies that correct the RPE may successfully rescue photoreceptor loss in choroideremia...
- Lessieur E, Fogerty J, Gaivin R, Song P, Perkins B. The Ciliopathy Gene ahi1 Is Required for Zebrafish Cone Photoreceptor Outer Segment Morphogenesis and Survival. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2017;58:448-460 pubmed publisher..No defects in rod morphology or rhodopsin localization were observed at 5 dpf...
- Morrissey M, Shelton S, Brockerhoff S, Hurley J, Kennedy B. PRE-1, a cis element sufficient to enhance cone- and rod- specific expression in differentiating zebrafish photoreceptors. BMC Dev Biol. 2011;11:3 pubmed publisher..5 kb promoter. PRE-1-rho which has the highest sequence and structural homology to PRE-1 is located in the rhodopsin promoter. Surprisingly, PRE-1 and PRE-1-rho are functionally distinct...
- Diamante G, do Amaral E Silva Müller G, Menjivar Cervantes N, Xu E, Volz D, Dias Bainy A, et al. Developmental toxicity of hydroxylated chrysene metabolites in zebrafish embryos. Aquat Toxicol. 2017;189:77-86 pubmed publisher..b>Rhodopsin mRNA expresssion was significantly decreased by both compounds equally...
- Glaviano A, Smith A, Blanco A, McLoughlin S, Cederlund M, Heffernan T, et al. A method for isolation of cone photoreceptors from adult zebrafish retinae. BMC Neurosci. 2016;17:71 pubmed..genetic markers of cone photoreceptors that were not expressed in the EGFP-negative cell population whereas a rod opsin amplicon was only detected in the EGFP-negative retinal cell population...
- Sukeena J, Galicia C, Wilson J, McGinn T, Boughman J, Robison B, et al. Characterization and Evolution of the Spotted Gar Retina. J Exp Zool B Mol Dev Evol. 2016;326:403-421 pubmed publisher..duplicated set of SWS1 (ultraviolet) sensitive opsin encoding genes, a SWS2 (blue) opsin encoding gene, and two rod opsin encoding genes, all of which were expressed in retinal photoreceptors...
- Mitchell D, Stevens C, Frey R, Hunter S, Ashino R, Kawamura S, et al. Retinoic Acid Signaling Regulates Differential Expression of the Tandemly-Duplicated Long Wavelength-Sensitive Cone Opsin Genes in Zebrafish. PLoS Genet. 2015;11:e1005483 pubmed publisher..This is the first evidence that an extracellular signal may regulate differential expression of opsin genes in a tandemly duplicated array. ..
- Muto A, Taylor M, Suzawa M, Korenbrot J, Baier H. Glucocorticoid receptor activity regulates light adaptation in the zebrafish retina. Front Neural Circuits. 2013;7:145 pubmed publisher..We suggest that GR controls a gene network required for visual adaptation in the zebrafish retina and potentially integrates neuroendocrine and sensory responses to environmental changes. ..
- Bellingham J, Whitmore D, Philp A, Wells D, Foster R. Zebrafish melanopsin: isolation, tissue localisation and phylogenetic position. Brain Res Mol Brain Res. 2002;107:128-36 pubmed..They might represent a separate branch of photopigment evolution in the vertebrates or they may have a non-direct photosensory function, perhaps as a photoisomerase, in non-rod, non-cone light detection. ..
- Murphy T, Vihtelic T, Ile K, Watson C, Willer G, Gregg R, et al. Phosphatidylinositol synthase is required for lens structural integrity and photoreceptor cell survival in the zebrafish eye. Exp Eye Res. 2011;93:460-74 pubmed publisher..These zebrafish cdipt alleles represent excellent in vivo genetic tools to study the role of phosphatidylinositol and its phosphorylated derivatives in lens and photoreceptor development and maintenance. ..
- Thummel R, Kassen S, Montgomery J, Enright J, Hyde D. Inhibition of Müller glial cell division blocks regeneration of the light-damaged zebrafish retina. Dev Neurobiol. 2008;68:392-408 pubmed
- Muralidharan P, Sarmah S, Marrs J. Zebrafish retinal defects induced by ethanol exposure are rescued by retinoic acid and folic acid supplement. Alcohol. 2015;49:149-63 pubmed publisher..Our results indicate that various ethanol-sensitive events underlie FASD-associated retinal defects. Nutrient supplements like retinoids and folate were effective in alleviating ethanol-induced retinal defects. ..
- Raghupathy R, Zhang X, Alhasani R, Zhou X, Mullin M, Reilly J, et al. Abnormal photoreceptor outer segment development and early retinal degeneration in kif3a mutant zebrafish. Cell Biochem Funct. 2016;34:429-40 pubmed publisher..Outer segments were not formed in most parts of the mutant retina, and rhodopsin was mislocalized, suggesting KIF3A has a role in rhodopsin trafficking...
- Chen J, Huang C, Zheng L, Simonich M, Bai C, Tanguay R, et al. Trimethyltin chloride (TMT) neurobehavioral toxicity in embryonic zebrafish. Neurotoxicol Teratol. 2011;33:721-6 pubmed publisher..Our study demonstrates the morphological and behavioral sensitivity of the developing zebrafish to TMT and establishes a platform for future identification of the affected pathways and chemical modulators of TMT toxicity. ..
- Durr K, Holzschuh J, Filippi A, Ettl A, Ryu S, Shepherd I, et al. Differential roles of transcriptional mediator complex subunits Crsp34/Med27, Crsp150/Med14 and Trap100/Med24 during zebrafish retinal development. Genetics. 2006;174:693-705 pubmed
- Morris A, Scholz T, Brockerhoff S, Fadool J. Genetic dissection reveals two separate pathways for rod and cone regeneration in the teleost retina. Dev Neurobiol. 2008;68:605-19 pubmed publisher..These two genetic models therefore offer new opportunities for investigating the molecular mechanisms of selective degeneration and regeneration of rods and cones. ..
- Stenkamp D, Frey R. Extraretinal and retinal hedgehog signaling sequentially regulate retinal differentiation in zebrafish. Dev Biol. 2003;258:349-63 pubmed
- Xu T, Chen L, Hu C, Zhou B. Effects of acute exposure to polybrominated diphenyl ethers on retinoid signaling in zebrafish larvae. Environ Toxicol Pharmacol. 2013;35:13-20 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, whole mount immunostaining and western blotting demonstrated increased rhodopsin protein expression in the exposure groups...
- Nakao T, Tsujikawa M, Notomi S, Ikeda Y, Nishida K. The role of mislocalized phototransduction in photoreceptor cell death of retinitis pigmentosa. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e32472 pubmed publisher..The ovl larvae show ectopic accumulation of rhodopsin and knockdown of ectopic rhodopsin and transducin rescue rod photoreceptor cell death...
- Cameron D, Gentile K, Middleton F, Yurco P. Gene expression profiles of intact and regenerating zebrafish retina. Mol Vis. 2005;11:775-91 pubmed
- Shu X, Zeng Z, Gautier P, Lennon A, Gakovic M, Patton E, et al. Zebrafish Rpgr is required for normal retinal development and plays a role in dynein-based retrograde transport processes. Hum Mol Genet. 2010;19:657-70 pubmed publisher..ZFRPGR2 is therefore necessary both for the normal differentiation and lamination of the retina and to prevent apoptotic retinal cell death, which may relate to its proposed role in dynein-based retrograde transport processes. ..