Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: rarab
Description: retinoic acid receptor, alpha b
Alias: fj66e06, rara2b, wu:fj66e06, retinoic acid receptor alpha-B, NR1B1-B, RAR-alpha-2.B, RAR-alpha-B, RARalpha-B, nr1b1b, nuclear receptor subfamily 1 group B member 1-B, retinoic acid receptor alpha b1, retinoic acid receptor alpha-2.B, retinoic acid receptor, alpha 2b, zRAR-alpha-2.B
- Maier E, Whitfield T. RA and FGF signalling are required in the zebrafish otic vesicle to pattern and maintain ventral otic identities. PLoS Genet. 2014;10:e1004858 pubmed publisher..In addition, our results indicate that FGF and RA signalling act in a feedback loop in the anterior OV, crucial for pattern refinement. ..
- D Aniello E, Rydeen A, Anderson J, Mandal A, Waxman J. Depletion of retinoic acid receptors initiates a novel positive feedback mechanism that promotes teratogenic increases in retinoic acid. PLoS Genet. 2013;9:e1003689 pubmed publisher..Our results support an intriguing novel mechanism by which depletion of RARs elicits a previously unrecognized positive feedback loop that can result in developmental defects due to teratogenic increases in embryonic RA...
- Oliveira E, Casado M, Raldua D, Soares A, Barata C, Pina B. Retinoic acid receptors' expression and function during zebrafish early development. J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol. 2013;138:143-51 pubmed publisher..We conclude that zebrafish embryos are particularly sensitive to potential disruptors of the RAR/RXR regulatory system. ..
- Kwok C, Korn R, Davis M, Burt D, Critcher R, McCarthy L, et al. Characterization of whole genome radiation hybrid mapping resources for non-mammalian vertebrates. Nucleic Acids Res. 1998;26:3562-6 pubmed..Such successes are providing the basis for a new era of mapping tools, in the form of whole genome radiation hybrid panels, and are opening new possibilities for systematic genome analysis in the animal genetics community. ..
- Rydeen A, Waxman J. Cyp26 Enzymes Facilitate Second Heart Field Progenitor Addition and Maintenance of Ventricular Integrity. PLoS Biol. 2016;14:e2000504 pubmed publisher..These novel findings indicate a primary effect of RA-induced OFT defects is disruption of the extracellular environment, which compromises both SHF recruitment and FHF ventricular integrity. ..
- Rubbini D, Robert Moreno Ã, Hoijman E, Alsina B. Retinoic Acid Signaling Mediates Hair Cell Regeneration by Repressing p27kip and sox2 in Supporting Cells. J Neurosci. 2015;35:15752-66 pubmed publisher..Our results position RA as an essential signal for hair cell regeneration with relevance in future regenerative strategies in mammals. ..
- Rydeen A, Voisin N, D Aniello E, Ravisankar P, Devignes C, Waxman J. Excessive feedback of Cyp26a1 promotes cell non-autonomous loss of retinoic acid signaling. Dev Biol. 2015;405:47-55 pubmed publisher..Therefore, our results provide novel insights into the teratogenic mechanisms of RA signaling and the cellular mechanisms by which Cyp26a1 expression can shape a RA gradient. ..
- Mandal A, Rydeen A, Anderson J, Sorrell M, Zygmunt T, Torres Vazquez J, et al. Transgenic retinoic acid sensor lines in zebrafish indicate regions of available embryonic retinoic acid. Dev Dyn. 2013;242:989-1000 pubmed publisher..Our novel RA sensor lines will be useful and complementary tools for studying RA signaling during development and anatomical structures independent of RA signaling. ..
- Stevens C, Cameron D, Stenkamp D. Plasticity of photoreceptor-generating retinal progenitors revealed by prolonged retinoic acid exposure. BMC Dev Biol. 2011;11:51 pubmed publisher..In zebrafish RA may influence the rod vs. cone cell fate decision. The RAR?b receptor mediates the effects of endogenous, as well as exogenous RA, on rod development. ..
- Kawakami Y, Raya A, Raya R, Rodriguez Esteban C, Izpisua Belmonte J. Retinoic acid signalling links left-right asymmetric patterning and bilaterally symmetric somitogenesis in the zebrafish embryo. Nature. 2005;435:165-71 pubmed
- Samarut E, Amal I, Markov G, Stote R, Dejaegere A, Laudet V, et al. Evolution of nuclear retinoic acid receptor alpha (RAR?) phosphorylation sites. Serine gain provides fine-tuned regulation. Mol Biol Evol. 2011;28:2125-37 pubmed publisher..In contrast, S(NTD) is conserved, indicating that the phosphorylation of this functional site has been under ancient high selection constraint. This suggests that, during evolution, different regulatory circuits control RAR? activity. ..
- Gibert Y, Samarut E, Pasco Viel E, Bernard L, Borday Birraux V, Sadier A, et al. Altered retinoic acid signalling underpins dentition evolution. Proc Biol Sci. 2015;282: pubmed publisher..Our work illustrates that through subtle changes in the expression of rate-limiting enzymes, the RA pathway is an active player of tooth evolution in fish. ..
- Stafford D, White R, Kinkel M, Linville A, Schilling T, Prince V. Retinoids signal directly to zebrafish endoderm to specify insulin-expressing beta-cells. Development. 2006;133:949-56 pubmed..These findings suggest that RA will have important applications in the quest to induce islets from stem cells for therapeutic uses...
- Stafford D, Prince V. Retinoic acid signaling is required for a critical early step in zebrafish pancreatic development. Curr Biol. 2002;12:1215-20 pubmed..In addition to being required for pancreatic specification, RA has the capacity to transfate anterior endoderm to a pancreatic fate. ..
- Amores A, Force A, Yan Y, Joly L, Amemiya C, Fritz A, et al. Zebrafish hox clusters and vertebrate genome evolution. Science. 1998;282:1711-4 pubmed..Thus, teleosts, the most species-rich group of vertebrates, appear to have more copies of these developmental regulatory genes than do mammals, despite less complexity in the anterior-posterior axis. ..