Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: ptf1a
Description: pancreas associated transcription factor 1a
Alias: PTF1, si:zc142h2.2, zgc:112216, pancreas transcription factor 1 subunit alpha, Ptfa, bHLH transcription factor p48, pancreas specific transcription factor, 1a
- Yee N, Lorent K, Pack M. Exocrine pancreas development in zebrafish. Dev Biol. 2005;284:84-101 pubmed..By contrast, analyses of mind bomb mutants and jagged morpholino-injected larvae suggest that Notch signaling principally regulates ductal differentiation of bipotential exocrine progenitors. ..
- Poulain M, Ober E. Interplay between Wnt2 and Wnt2bb controls multiple steps of early foregut-derived organ development. Development. 2011;138:3557-68 pubmed publisher..Thus, tightly regulated spatiotemporal expression of wnt2bb, wnt2 and fzd5 is central to coordinating early liver, pancreas and swim bladder development from a multipotent foregut endoderm. ..
- Zhang Y, Yang Y, Trujillo C, Zhong W, Leung Y. The expression of irx7 in the inner nuclear layer of zebrafish retina is essential for a proper retinal development and lamination. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e36145 pubmed publisher..Since the expression of known TFs that can specify specific retinal cell type was also altered in Irx7-deficient retinas, thus the irx7 gene network is possibly a novel regulatory circuit for retinal development and lamination. ..
- Godinho L, Williams P, Claassen Y, Provost E, Leach S, Kamermans M, et al. Nonapical symmetric divisions underlie horizontal cell layer formation in the developing retina in vivo. Neuron. 2007;56:597-603 pubmed..The precursor cells morphologically resemble immature, postmitotic HCs and express HC markers such as ptf1a and Prox1 prior to division...
- Kani S, Bae Y, Shimizu T, Tanabe K, Satou C, Parsons M, et al. Proneural gene-linked neurogenesis in zebrafish cerebellum. Dev Biol. 2010;343:1-17 pubmed publisher..as glutamatergic or GABAergic, and are derived from progenitors that express the proneural genes atoh1 or ptf1a, respectively...
- Shin D, Lee Y, Poss K, Stainier D. Restriction of hepatic competence by Fgf signaling. Development. 2011;138:1339-48 pubmed publisher..These data provide in vivo evidence that endodermal cells outside the liver-forming region retain hepatic competence and show that an extrinsic signal, Fgf10a, negatively regulates hepatic competence. ..
- Noël E, Casal Sueiro A, Busch Nentwich E, Verkade H, Dong P, Stemple D, et al. Organ-specific requirements for Hdac1 in liver and pancreas formation. Dev Biol. 2008;322:237-50 pubmed publisher..These findings establish zebrafish as a tractable system to investigate chromatin remodelling factor functions in controlling gene expression programmes in vertebrate endodermal organogenesis. ..
- Tehrani Z, Lin S. Antagonistic interactions of hedgehog, Bmp and retinoic acid signals control zebrafish endocrine pancreas development. Development. 2011;138:631-40 pubmed publisher..These results identify multiple sequential roles for Hh in pancreas development and highlight an unexpected antagonistic relationship between Hh and other signaling pathways to control pancreatic specification and differentiation. ..
- Vitorino M, Jusuf P, Maurus D, Kimura Y, Higashijima S, Harris W. Vsx2 in the zebrafish retina: restricted lineages through derepression. Neural Dev. 2009;4:14 pubmed publisher..Our data thus suggest Vsx2-positive RPCs are fully multipotent retinal progenitors and that when Vsx2 is downregulated, Vsx2-negative progenitors escape Vsx2 repression and so are able to express factors that restrict lineage potential. ..
- Zecchin E, Mavropoulos A, Devos N, Filippi A, Tiso N, Meyer D, et al. Evolutionary conserved role of ptf1a in the specification of exocrine pancreatic fates. Dev Biol. 2004;268:174-84 pubmedWe have characterized and mapped the zebrafish ptf1a gene, analyzed its embryonic expression, and studied its role in pancreas development...
- Randlett O, MacDonald R, Yoshimatsu T, Almeida A, Suzuki S, WONG R, et al. Cellular requirements for building a retinal neuropil. Cell Rep. 2013;3:282-90 pubmed publisher..Previous studies have shown that an IPL can form in the complete absence of BCs; therefore, we conclude that neither presynaptic nor postsynaptic processes are individually essential for the formation of this synaptic neuropil. ..
- Hesselson D, Anderson R, Stainier D. Suppression of Ptf1a activity induces acinar-to-endocrine conversion. Curr Biol. 2011;21:712-7 pubmed publisher..We found that postembryonic antagonism of Ptf1a, a master regulator of pancreatic development and acinar cell fate specification, induced the expression of ..
- Wang H, Zhou Q, Kesinger J, Norris C, Valdez C. Heme regulates exocrine peptidase precursor genes in zebrafish. Exp Biol Med (Maywood). 2007;232:1170-80 pubmed..We also found that ptf1a, a transcription factor regulating exocrine zymogens, is downregulated in both yquem/urod (-/-) and sau/alas2 (-/-)..
- Naye F, Voz M, Detry N, Hammerschmidt M, Peers B, Manfroid I. Essential roles of zebrafish bmp2a, fgf10, and fgf24 in the specification of the ventral pancreas. Mol Biol Cell. 2012;23:945-54 pubmed publisher..By analyzing the pancreatic markers pdx1, ptf1a, and hlxb9la in different zebrafish models of BMP loss of function, we demonstrate that the BMP pathway is ..
- Pauls S, Zecchin E, Tiso N, Bortolussi M, Argenton F. Function and regulation of zebrafish nkx2.2a during development of pancreatic islet and ducts. Dev Biol. 2007;304:875-90 pubmed..2a function also lead to the absence of the pancreatic ducts. We observed the same phenotype in ptf1a-morphants that are additionally characterized by a reduced number of nkx2.2a-positive duct precursors...
- Zecchin E, Conigliaro A, Tiso N, Argenton F, Bortolussi M. Expression analysis of jagged genes in zebrafish embryos. Dev Dyn. 2005;233:638-45 pubmed..The similarities of the expression patterns of jagged and delta genes in zebrafish suggest that the Jagged and Delta ligands are functionally redundant or required in specific combinations in many differentiation processes. ..
- Alexa K, Choe S, Hirsch N, Etheridge L, Laver E, SAGERSTROM C. Maternal and zygotic aldh1a2 activity is required for pancreas development in zebrafish. PLoS ONE. 2009;4:e8261 pubmed publisher..We conclude that Aldh1a2 is the primary Aldh acting during pancreas development and that maternal Aldh1a2 activity persists in aldh1a2(um22) and aldh1a2(i26) mutant embryos...
- Wilfinger A, Arkhipova V, Meyer D. Cell type and tissue specific function of islet genes in zebrafish pancreas development. Dev Biol. 2013;378:25-37 pubmed publisher..Overall, our data reveal a novel interaction of isl1 and isl2 genes in exocrine pancreas expansion and cell type specific requirements during endocrine cell maturation...
- WANG Y, Park J, Parsons M, Leach S. Fate mapping of ptf1a-expressing cells during pancreatic organogenesis and regeneration in zebrafish. Dev Dyn. 2015;244:724-35 pubmed publisher..mammals, including the participation of epithelial progenitor cells expressing pancreas transcription factor 1a (ptf1a)...
- Sant K, Jacobs H, Borofski K, Moss J, Timme Laragy A. Embryonic exposures to perfluorooctanesulfonic acid (PFOS) disrupt pancreatic organogenesis in the zebrafish, Danio rerio. Environ Pollut. 2017;220:807-817 pubmed publisher..health, size, and islet morphology in Tg(insulin-GFP) embryos at 48, 96 and 168 hpf, and pancreas length in Tg(ptf1a-GFP) embryos at 96 and 168 hpf...
- Li W, Zhou L, Li Z, Wang Y, Shi J, Yang Y, et al. Zebrafish Lbh-like Is Required for Otx2-mediated Photoreceptor Differentiation. Int J Biol Sci. 2015;11:688-700 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, knockdown of lbh-like increases the activity of Notch pathway and perturbs the balance among proliferation, differentiation and survival of photoreceptor precursors. ..
- Uribe R, Gu T, Bronner M. A novel subset of enteric neurons revealed by ptf1a:GFP in the developing zebrafish enteric nervous system. Genesis. 2016;54:123-8 pubmed publisher..population of neurons within the enteric nervous system of zebrafish larvae that express the transgenic marker ptf1a:GFP within the midgut...
- Guo X, Cheng L, Liu Y, Fan W, Lu D. Cloning, expression, and functional characterization of zebrafish Mist1. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2007;359:20-6 pubmed..These results suggest that Mist1 functions in an evolutionary conserved way as a key transcriptional regulator specific for exocrine pancreas development in zebrafish. ..
- MarÃn Juez R, Rovira M, Crespo D, van der Vaart M, Spaink H, Planas J. GLUT2-mediated glucose uptake and availability are required for embryonic brain development in zebrafish. J Cereb Blood Flow Metab. 2015;35:74-85 pubmed publisher..glut2 deficiency affected the development of neural progenitor cells expressing the proneural genes atoh1b and ptf1a but not those expressing neurod...
- Zhang L, CHO J, Ptak D, Leung Y. The role of egr1 in early zebrafish retinogenesis. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e56108 pubmed publisher..In the Egr1-knockdown retinas, the expression of ptf1a, a TF that controls the specification of ACs and HCs, was prolonged and found in ectopic locations in the retina ..
- Yee N, Zhou W, Liang I. Transient receptor potential ion channel Trpm7 regulates exocrine pancreatic epithelial proliferation by Mg2+-sensitive Socs3a signaling in development and cancer. Dis Model Mech. 2011;4:240-54 pubmed publisher..Results of this study indicate that Trpm7 regulates exocrine pancreatic development via the Mg(2+)-sensitive Socs3a pathway, and suggest that aberrant TRPM7-mediated signaling contributes to pancreatic carcinogenesis. ..
- Tsai M, Lu Y, Liu Y, Lien H, Huang C, Wu J, et al. Modulation of p53 and met expression by KrÃ¼ppel-like factor 8 regulates zebrafish cerebellar development. Dev Neurobiol. 2015;75:908-26 pubmed publisher..In klf8 morphants, expression of ptf1a in the ventricular zone was decreased from 48 to 72 hpf; on the other hand, expression of atohla in the upper ..
- Nissim S, Weeks O, Talbot J, Hedgepeth J, Wucherpfennig J, Schatzman Bone S, et al. Iterative use of nuclear receptor Nr5a2 regulates multiple stages of liver and pancreas development. Dev Biol. 2016;418:108-123 pubmed publisher..Loss of nr5a2 abrogated exocrine pancreas markers such as trypsin, while pancreas progenitors marked by ptf1a or pdx1 remained unaffected, suggesting a role for Nr5a2 in regulating pancreatic acinar cell differentiation...
- Manfroid I, Ghaye A, Naye F, Detry N, Palm S, Pan L, et al. Zebrafish sox9b is crucial for hepatopancreatic duct development and pancreatic endocrine cell regeneration. Dev Biol. 2012;366:268-78 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, beta cell recovery after specific ablation is severely compromised in sox9b mutant larvae. Our data position sox9b as a key player in the generation of secondary endocrine cells deriving from pancreatic ducts in zebrafish...
- McGonnell I, Fowkes R. Fishing for gene function--endocrine modelling in the zebrafish. J Endocrinol. 2006;189:425-39 pubmed..We anticipate that the use of these techniques will make the zebrafish a prominent model in endocrine research in the coming years. ..
- Jiang Z, Song J, Qi F, Xiao A, An X, Liu N, et al. Exdpf is a key regulator of exocrine pancreas development controlled by retinoic acid and ptf1a in zebrafish. PLoS Biol. 2008;6:e293 pubmed publisher..We show that exdpf is a direct target gene of pancreas-specific transcription factor 1a (Ptf1a), a transcription factor critical for exocrine formation...
- Faro A, Boj S, Ambrósio R, van den Broek O, Korving J, Clevers H. T-cell factor 4 (tcf7l2) is the main effector of Wnt signaling during zebrafish intestine organogenesis. Zebrafish. 2009;6:59-68 pubmed publisher..This study reveals that Tcf4 (tcf7l2) is the major effector of Wnt signaling in the intestine during zebrafish organogenesis. ..
- Parsons M, Pisharath H, Yusuff S, Moore J, Siekmann A, Lawson N, et al. Notch-responsive cells initiate the secondary transition in larval zebrafish pancreas. Mech Dev. 2009;126:898-912 pubmed publisher..We also show that Notch-responsive cells persist in the adult pancreas and possess the classical characteristics of centroacinar cells, a cell type believed to be a multipotent progenitor cell in adult mammalian pancreas. ..
- Coutinho P, Pavlou S, Bhatia S, Chalmers K, Kleinjan D, van Heyningen V. Discovery and assessment of conserved Pax6 target genes and enhancers. Genome Res. 2011;21:1349-59 pubmed publisher..We have identified several novel direct targets, including some putative disease genes, among them Foxp2; these will allow further dissection of Pax6 function in development and disease. ..
- Zecchin E, Filippi A, Biemar F, Tiso N, Pauls S, Ellertsdottir E, et al. Distinct delta and jagged genes control sequential segregation of pancreatic cell types from precursor pools in zebrafish. Dev Biol. 2007;301:192-204 pubmed
- Won M, Ro H, Dawid I. Lnx2 ubiquitin ligase is essential for exocrine cell differentiation in the early zebrafish pancreas. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2015;112:12426-31 pubmed publisher..Further, the complex relationships among genotype, phenotype, and morpholino effect in this case may be instructive in the ongoing consideration of morpholino use. ..
- Kaslin J, Ganz J, Geffarth M, Grandel H, Hans S, Brand M. Stem cells in the adult zebrafish cerebellum: initiation and maintenance of a novel stem cell niche. J Neurosci. 2009;29:6142-53 pubmed publisher..Nevertheless, retained epithelial properties such as distinct polarization and ventricular contact are critical common determinants to maintain neural stem cell activity in vertebrates. ..
- Jacob J, Ribes V, Moore S, Constable S, Sasai N, Gerety S, et al. Valproic acid silencing of ascl1b/Ascl1 results in the failure of serotonergic differentiation in a zebrafish model of fetal valproate syndrome. Dis Model Mech. 2014;7:107-17 pubmed publisher..Together, these data provide a molecular explanation for serotonergic defects in FVS and highlight an epigenetic mechanism for genome-environment interaction in disease. ..
- Pashos E, Park J, Leach S, Fisher S. Distinct enhancers of ptf1a mediate specification and expansion of ventral pancreas in zebrafish. Dev Biol. 2013;381:471-81 pubmed publisherDevelopment of the pancreas and cerebellum require Pancreas-specific transcription factor-1a (Ptf1a), which encodes a subunit of the transcription factor complex PTF1...
- Elsen G, Choi L, Prince V, Ho R. The autism susceptibility gene met regulates zebrafish cerebellar development and facial motor neuron migration. Dev Biol. 2009;335:78-92 pubmed publisher..These functions may underlie the correlation between altered MET regulation and autism spectrum disorders. ..
- Jusuf P, Albadri S, Paolini A, Currie P, Argenton F, Higashijima S, et al. Biasing amacrine subtypes in the Atoh7 lineage through expression of Barhl2. J Neurosci. 2012;32:13929-44 pubmed publisher..All ACs require the postmitotic expression of the bHLH pancreas transcription factor Ptf1a; however, Ptf1a alone is not sufficient to give subtype identities...
- Yamazoe S, Shestopalov I, Provost E, Leach S, Chen J. Cyclic caged morpholinos: conformationally gated probes of embryonic gene function. Angew Chem Int Ed Engl. 2012;51:6908-11 pubmed publisher..Using these reagents, the timing of exocrine cell fate commitment in the developing pancreas has been examined. ..
- Hozumi S, Hirabayashi R, Yoshizawa A, Ogata M, Ishitani T, Tsutsumi M, et al. DEAD-box protein Ddx46 is required for the development of the digestive organs and brain in zebrafish. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e33675 pubmed publisher..Therefore, our results suggest a model in which zebrafish Ddx46 is required for the development of the digestive organs and brain, possibly through the control of pre-mRNA splicing. ..
- Lu H, Ma J, Yang Y, Shi W, Luo L. EpCAM is an endoderm-specific Wnt derepressor that licenses hepatic development. Dev Cell. 2013;24:543-53 pubmed publisher..Our results identify EpCAM as the key molecule and its functional mechanism to confer endodermal cells the competence to respond to the liver-inductive Wnt2bb signal. ..
- Jung I, Leem G, Jung D, Kim M, Kim E, Kim S, et al. Glioma is formed by active Akt1 alone and promoted by active Rac1 in transgenic zebrafish. Neuro Oncol. 2013;15:290-304 pubmed publisher..We established transgenic zebrafish that overexpressed dominant-active (DA) human Akt1 or Rac1(G12V) (DARac1) at ptf1a domain and investigated transgenic phenotypes and mechanisms leading to gliomagenesis...
- Dong P, Provost E, Leach S, Stainier D. Graded levels of Ptf1a differentially regulate endocrine and exocrine fates in the developing pancreas. Genes Dev. 2008;22:1445-50 pubmed publisher..By analyzing the effects of Ptf1a partial loss of function, we uncovered novel roles for this transcription factor in determining pancreatic fates...
- Kloosterman W, Lagendijk A, Ketting R, Moulton J, Plasterk R. Targeted inhibition of miRNA maturation with morpholinos reveals a role for miR-375 in pancreatic islet development. PLoS Biol. 2007;5:e203 pubmed..The miRNA knockdown strategy presented here will be widely used to unravel miRNA function in zebrafish. ..
- Dash S, Hakonen E, Ustinov J, Otonkoski T, Andersson O, Lehtonen S. sept7b is required for the differentiation of pancreatic endocrine progenitors. Sci Rep. 2016;6:24992 pubmed publisher..Collectively, this study provides a novel insight into the development of pancreatic endocrine progenitors, revealing an essential role for sept7b in endocrine progenitor differentiation. ..
- Zhai G, Song J, Shu T, Yan J, Jin X, He J, et al. LRH-1 senses signaling from phosphatidylcholine to regulate the expansion growth of digestive organs via synergy with Wnt/Î²-catenin signaling in zebrafish. J Genet Genomics. 2017;44:307-317 pubmed publisher..These data provide evidence for the crosstalk between the PC/LRH-1 and Wnt/Î²-catenin signaling pathways during the expansion growth of endoderm organs. ..