Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: prss1
Description: serine protease 1
Alias: try, wu:fb57g08, zgc:109701, cationic trypsin-3, protease, serine 1, trypsin, trypsinogen 2
- Biemar F, Argenton F, Schmidtke R, Epperlein S, Peers B, Driever W. Pancreas development in zebrafish: early dispersed appearance of endocrine hormone expressing cells and their convergence to form the definitive islet. Dev Biol. 2001;230:189-203 pubmed..the spatial relationship between the exocrine and the endocrine compartments, we have cloned the zebrafish trypsin gene, a digestive enzyme expressed in differentiated pancreatic exocrine cells...
- Field H, Dong P, Beis D, Stainier D. Formation of the digestive system in zebrafish. II. Pancreas morphogenesis. Dev Biol. 2003;261:197-208 pubmed
- Mavropoulos A, Devos N, Biemar F, Zecchin E, Argenton F, Edlund H, et al. sox4b is a key player of pancreatic alpha cell differentiation in zebrafish. Dev Biol. 2005;285:211-23 pubmed..a drastic reduction in glucagon expression, while other pancreatic markers including insulin, somatostatin, and trypsin are not significantly affected...
- Wendik B, Maier E, Meyer D. Zebrafish mnx genes in endocrine and exocrine pancreas formation. Dev Biol. 2004;268:372-83 pubmed..In contrast, mnr2a is required during late morphogenesis of the exocrine pancreas. In summary, our data suggest a tissue-specific mnx-expression code in the zebrafish pancreas and they reveal a novel role of an mnr2-related gene. ..
- Goessling W, North T, Lord A, Ceol C, Lee S, Weidinger G, et al. APC mutant zebrafish uncover a changing temporal requirement for wnt signaling in liver development. Dev Biol. 2008;320:161-74 pubmed publisher..These studies reveal an important and time-dependent role for wnt signaling during liver development and regeneration. ..
- Hozumi S, Hirabayashi R, Yoshizawa A, Ogata M, Ishitani T, Tsutsumi M, et al. DEAD-box protein Ddx46 is required for the development of the digestive organs and brain in zebrafish. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e33675 pubmed publisher..Therefore, our results suggest a model in which zebrafish Ddx46 is required for the development of the digestive organs and brain, possibly through the control of pre-mRNA splicing. ..
- Zecchin E, Mavropoulos A, Devos N, Filippi A, Tiso N, Meyer D, et al. Evolutionary conserved role of ptf1a in the specification of exocrine pancreatic fates. Dev Biol. 2004;268:174-84 pubmed..Biol. 11(2001) 1358] exhibit normal levels of ptf1a. This indicates that hedgehog signaling plays a different genetic role in the specification of the anteroventral (mostly exocrine) and posterodorsal (endocrine) pancreatic anlagen. ..
- Trede N, Medenbach J, Damianov A, Hung L, Weber G, Paw B, et al. Network of coregulated spliceosome components revealed by zebrafish mutant in recycling factor p110. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2007;104:6608-13 pubmed..Together, our data demonstrate that a mutation in a general splicing factor can lead to distinct defects in organ development and cause disease. ..
- Wang H, Zhou Q, Kesinger J, Norris C, Valdez C. Heme regulates exocrine peptidase precursor genes in zebrafish. Exp Biol Med (Maywood). 2007;232:1170-80 pubmed..Here we report that six exocrine peptidase precursor genes, carboxypeptidase A, trypsin precursor, trypsin like, chymotrypsinogen B1, chymotrypsinogen 1-like, and elastase 2 like, are downregulated in ..
- Yee N, Lorent K, Pack M. Exocrine pancreas development in zebrafish. Dev Biol. 2005;284:84-101 pubmed..By contrast, analyses of mind bomb mutants and jagged morpholino-injected larvae suggest that Notch signaling principally regulates ductal differentiation of bipotential exocrine progenitors. ..
- Jiang Z, Song J, Qi F, Xiao A, An X, Liu N, et al. Exdpf is a key regulator of exocrine pancreas development controlled by retinoic acid and ptf1a in zebrafish. PLoS Biol. 2008;6:e293 pubmed publisher..Moreover, exogenous RA treatment induced anterior ectopic expression of exdpf and trypsin in a similar pattern...
- Stafford D, Prince V. Retinoic acid signaling is required for a critical early step in zebrafish pancreatic development. Curr Biol. 2002;12:1215-20 pubmed..In addition to being required for pancreatic specification, RA has the capacity to transfate anterior endoderm to a pancreatic fate. ..
- Esni F, Ghosh B, Biankin A, Lin J, Albert M, Yu X, et al. Notch inhibits Ptf1 function and acinar cell differentiation in developing mouse and zebrafish pancreas. Development. 2004;131:4213-24 pubmed..These results define a normal inhibitory role for Notch in the regulation of exocrine pancreatic differentiation. ..
- Frohnhöfer H, Geiger Rudolph S, Pattky M, Meixner M, Huhn C, Maischein H, et al. Spermidine, but not spermine, is essential for pigment pattern formation in zebrafish. Biol Open. 2016;5:736-44 pubmed publisher..8, Cx39.4, and Kir7.1, an inwardly rectifying potassium channel, all known to be regulated by polyamines. Thus, zebrafish provide a vertebrate model to study the in vivo effects of polyamines. ..
- Faro A, Boj S, Ambrósio R, van den Broek O, Korving J, Clevers H. T-cell factor 4 (tcf7l2) is the main effector of Wnt signaling during zebrafish intestine organogenesis. Zebrafish. 2009;6:59-68 pubmed publisher..This study reveals that Tcf4 (tcf7l2) is the major effector of Wnt signaling in the intestine during zebrafish organogenesis. ..
- Venkatasubramani N, Mayer A. A zebrafish model for the Shwachman-Diamond syndrome (SDS). Pediatr Res. 2008;63:348-52 pubmed publisher..These data provide novel insight into the role of the sbds gene and support using zebrafish as a model system to study sbds gene function and for evaluation of novel therapies. ..
- Guo X, Cheng L, Liu Y, Fan W, Lu D. Cloning, expression, and functional characterization of zebrafish Mist1. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2007;359:20-6 pubmed..These results suggest that Mist1 functions in an evolutionary conserved way as a key transcriptional regulator specific for exocrine pancreas development in zebrafish. ..
- Ellertsdottir E, Ganz J, Durr K, Loges N, Biemar F, Seifert F, et al. A mutation in the zebrafish Na,K-ATPase subunit atp1a1a.1 provides genetic evidence that the sodium potassium pump contributes to left-right asymmetry downstream or in parallel to nodal flow. Dev Dyn. 2006;235:1794-808 pubmed..Therefore, the Na,K-ATPase is required downstream or in parallel to monocilia function during initiation of left-right asymmetry in zebrafish. ..
- Wang Z, Du J, Lam S, Mathavan S, Matsudaira P, Gong Z. Morphological and molecular evidence for functional organization along the rostrocaudal axis of the adult zebrafish intestine. BMC Genomics. 2010;11:392 pubmed publisher..Evolutionary lack of stomach, crypts, Paneth cells and submucosal glands has shaped the zebrafish intestine into a simpler but unique organ in vertebrate intestinal biology. ..
- Cheng P, Lin C, Wu C, Lu Y, Lin C, Chung C, et al. Zebrafish cdx1b regulates expression of downstream factors of Nodal signaling during early endoderm formation. Development. 2008;135:941-52 pubmed publisher..This study underscores a novel role of zebrafish cdx1b in the development of different digestive organs compared with its mammalian homologs. ..
- Noël E, Casal Sueiro A, Busch Nentwich E, Verkade H, Dong P, Stemple D, et al. Organ-specific requirements for Hdac1 in liver and pancreas formation. Dev Biol. 2008;322:237-50 pubmed publisher..These findings establish zebrafish as a tractable system to investigate chromatin remodelling factor functions in controlling gene expression programmes in vertebrate endodermal organogenesis. ..
- Nadauld L, Phelps R, Moore B, Eisinger A, Sandoval I, Chidester S, et al. Adenomatous polyposis coli control of C-terminal binding protein-1 stability regulates expression of intestinal retinol dehydrogenases. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:37828-35 pubmed..The relationship between APC and CtBP1 is conserved between humans and zebrafish and provides a mechanistic model explaining APC control of intestinal retinoic acid biosynthesis. ..
- Rai K, Jafri I, Chidester S, James S, Karpf A, Cairns B, et al. Dnmt3 and G9a cooperate for tissue-specific development in zebrafish. J Biol Chem. 2010;285:4110-21 pubmed publisher..We propose a model wherein specific DNMT-histone methyltransferase networks are utilized to silence critical regulators of cell fate in a tissue-specific manner. ..
- Yee N, Zhou W, Liang I. Transient receptor potential ion channel Trpm7 regulates exocrine pancreatic epithelial proliferation by Mg2+-sensitive Socs3a signaling in development and cancer. Dis Model Mech. 2011;4:240-54 pubmed publisher..Results of this study indicate that Trpm7 regulates exocrine pancreatic development via the Mg(2+)-sensitive Socs3a pathway, and suggest that aberrant TRPM7-mediated signaling contributes to pancreatic carcinogenesis. ..
- Yuan H, Wen B, Liu X, Gao C, Yang R, Wang L, et al. CCAAT/enhancer-binding protein Î± is required for hepatic outgrowth via the p53 pathway in zebrafish. Sci Rep. 2015;5:15838 pubmed publisher..Thus, our findings for the first time demonstrate a stage-specific role for C/ebpÎ± during liver organogenesis. ..
- Hu M, Bai Y, Zhang C, Liu F, Cui Z, Chen J, et al. Liver-Enriched Gene 1, a Glycosylated Secretory Protein, Binds to FGFR and Mediates an Anti-stress Pathway to Protect Liver Development in Zebrafish. PLoS Genet. 2016;12:e1005881 pubmed publisher..Therefore, Leg1 plays a unique role in protecting liver development under different stress conditions by serving as a secreted signaling molecule/modulator. ..
- Cui S, Capecci L, Matthews R. Disruption of planar cell polarity activity leads to developmental biliary defects. Dev Biol. 2011;351:229-41 pubmed publisher..Our results demonstrate that PCP plays an important role in vertebrate biliary development, interacting with other factors known to be involved in biliary morphogenesis. ..
- Dash S, Hakonen E, Ustinov J, Otonkoski T, Andersson O, Lehtonen S. sept7b is required for the differentiation of pancreatic endocrine progenitors. Sci Rep. 2016;6:24992 pubmed publisher..Collectively, this study provides a novel insight into the development of pancreatic endocrine progenitors, revealing an essential role for sept7b in endocrine progenitor differentiation. ..
- Chitramuthu B, Bennett H. High resolution whole mount in situ hybridization within zebrafish embryos to study gene expression and function. J Vis Exp. 2013;:e50644 pubmed publisher..By employing a chromogenic substrate for alkaline phosphatase, specific gene expression can be assessed. Depending on the level of gene expression the entire procedure can be completed within 2-3 days. ..
- Levic D, Minkel J, Wang W, Rybski W, Melville D, Knapik E. Animal model of Sar1b deficiency presents lipid absorption deficits similar to Anderson disease. J Mol Med (Berl). 2015;93:165-76 pubmed publisher..Key messages: Sar1b depletion phenotype in zebrafish resembles Anderson disease deficits. Sar1b deficiency results in multi-organ developmental deficits. Sar1b is required for dietary cholesterol uptake into enterocytes. ..
- Zhang S, Xu M, Huang J, Tang L, Zhang Y, Wu J, et al. Heme acts through the Bach1b/Nrf2a-MafK pathway to regulate exocrine peptidase precursor genes in porphyric zebrafish. Dis Model Mech. 2014;7:837-45 pubmed publisher..These results provide novel insights into the regulation of exocrine function, as well as the pathogenesis of porphyria, and should be useful for designing new therapies for both types of disease. ..
- Pietsch J, Delalande J, Jakaitis B, Stensby J, Dohle S, Talbot W, et al. lessen encodes a zebrafish trap100 required for enteric nervous system development. Development. 2006;133:395-406 pubmed..These studies demonstrate that lsn/trap100 is not required for initial steps of cranial neural crest development and migration, but is essential for later proliferation of ENS precursors in the intestine. ..
- Niu X, Gao C, Jan Lo L, Luo Y, Meng C, Hong J, et al. Sec13 safeguards the integrity of the endoplasmic reticulum and organogenesis of the digestive system in zebrafish. Dev Biol. 2012;367:197-207 pubmed publisher..Our data provide the first direct genetic evidence that COPII function is essential for the organogenesis of the digestive system...
- Dupret B, Volkel P, Vennin C, Toillon R, Le Bourhis X, Angrand P. The histone lysine methyltransferase Ezh2 is required for maintenance of the intestine integrity and for caudal fin regeneration in zebrafish. Biochim Biophys Acta Gene Regul Mech. 2017;1860:1079-1093 pubmed publisher..In addition, ezh2-deficient mutants fail to properly regenerate their spinal cord after caudal fin transection suggesting that Ezh2 and H3K27me3 methylation might also be involved in the process of regeneration in zebrafish. ..
- Liu N, Li Z, Pei D, Shu X. Zfyve9a regulates the proliferation of hepatic cells during zebrafish embryogenesis. Int J Dev Biol. 2013;57:773-8 pubmed publisher..We analyzed the expression patterns of liver (cp and fabp10a), pancreas (trypsin and insulin) or gut (fabp2) specific markers to determine whether the formation of these organs is affected by ..
- Nissim S, Weeks O, Talbot J, Hedgepeth J, Wucherpfennig J, Schatzman Bone S, et al. Iterative use of nuclear receptor Nr5a2 regulates multiple stages of liver and pancreas development. Dev Biol. 2016;418:108-123 pubmed publisher..Loss of nr5a2 abrogated exocrine pancreas markers such as trypsin, while pancreas progenitors marked by ptf1a or pdx1 remained unaffected, suggesting a role for Nr5a2 in ..
- Yang S, Aw S, Chang C, Korzh S, Korzh V, Peng J. Depletion of Bhmt elevates sonic hedgehog transcript level and increases ?-cell number in zebrafish. Endocrinology. 2011;152:4706-17 pubmed publisher..Therefore, although there are still many intriguing questions to be answered, our finding may identify a novel function for Bhmt involving modulation of Shh signaling to control ?-cell development. ..
- Ohler A, Becker Pauly C. Morpholino knockdown of the ubiquitously expressed transmembrane serine protease TMPRSS4a in zebrafish embryos exhibits severe defects in organogenesis and cell adhesion. Biol Chem. 2011;392:653-64 pubmed publisher..Whether its proteolytic activity is directed towards adhesion molecules or leads to the activation of other proteases needs to be investigated further. ..
- Wilfinger A, Arkhipova V, Meyer D. Cell type and tissue specific function of islet genes in zebrafish pancreas development. Dev Biol. 2013;378:25-37 pubmed publisher..Overall, our data reveal a novel interaction of isl1 and isl2 genes in exocrine pancreas expansion and cell type specific requirements during endocrine cell maturation...
- Lin X, Xu X. Distinct functions of Wnt/beta-catenin signaling in KV development and cardiac asymmetry. Development. 2009;136:207-17 pubmed publisher..In summary, our results reveal a previously unexpected role of Wnt-Gata4 signaling in the control of asymmetric signal propagation from the LPM to the cardiac field. ..
- Mastracci T, Robertson M, Mirmira R, Anderson R. Polyamine biosynthesis is critical for growth and differentiation of the pancreas. Sci Rep. 2015;5:13269 pubmed publisher..Altogether, we have uncovered a role for polyamine biosynthesis in pancreatic organogenesis and identified that it may be possible to exploit polyamine biosynthesis to manipulate pancreatic cell differentiation. ..
- Tryon R, Pisat N, Johnson S, Dougherty J. Development of translating ribosome affinity purification for zebrafish. Genesis. 2013;51:187-92 pubmed publisher..We have also generated a generic EGFP-rpl10a Tol2 plasmid construct (Tol2-zTRAP) that can be readily modified to target any additional cell populations with characterized promoters in zebrafish. ..
- Nadauld L, Shelton D, Chidester S, Yost H, Jones D. The zebrafish retinol dehydrogenase, rdh1l, is essential for intestinal development and is regulated by the tumor suppressor adenomatous polyposis coli. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:30490-5 pubmed
- Kinkel M, Eames S, Alonzo M, Prince V. Cdx4 is required in the endoderm to localize the pancreas and limit beta-cell number. Development. 2008;135:919-29 pubmed publisher..In support of this, we demonstrate that in cdx4-deficient embryos treated with RA, ectopic beta-cells are located well posterior to the normal pancreatic domain. ..
- Hostelley T, Lodh S, Zaghloul N. Whole organism transcriptome analysis of zebrafish models of Bardet-Biedl Syndrome and Alström Syndrome provides mechanistic insight into shared and divergent phenotypes. BMC Genomics. 2016;17:318 pubmed publisher..These findings provide important novel insight into shared and divergent phenotypes between two similar but distinct genetic syndromes. ..
- Ye L, Robertson M, Hesselson D, Stainier D, Anderson R. Glucagon is essential for alpha cell transdifferentiation and beta cell neogenesis. Development. 2015;142:1407-17 pubmed publisher..It further reveals that glucagon plays an important role in maintaining endocrine cell homeostasis through feedback mechanisms that govern cell fate stability. ..
- Nissim S, Sherwood R, Wucherpfennig J, Saunders D, Harris J, Esain V, et al. Prostaglandin E2 regulates liver versus pancreas cell-fate decisions and endodermal outgrowth. Dev Cell. 2014;28:423-37 pubmed publisher..This work provides in vivo evidence that PGE2 may act as a morphogen to regulate cell-fate decisions and outgrowth of the embryonic endodermal anlagen. ..
- Liu X, Jia X, Yuan H, Ma K, Chen Y, Jin Y, et al. DNA methyltransferase 1 functions through C/ebpa to maintain hematopoietic stem and progenitor cells in zebrafish. J Hematol Oncol. 2015;8:15 pubmed publisher..Dnmt1 is required for HSPC maintenance via cebpa regulation during definitive hematopoiesis in zebrafish. ..
- Zhou W, Liang I, Yee N. Histone deacetylase 1 is required for exocrine pancreatic epithelial proliferation in development and cancer. Cancer Biol Ther. 2011;11:659-70 pubmed
- Voz M, Coppieters W, Manfroid I, Baudhuin A, Von Berg V, Charlier C, et al. Fast homozygosity mapping and identification of a zebrafish ENU-induced mutation by whole-genome sequencing. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e34671 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, this study constitutes a proof-of-concept that whole-genome sequencing is a fast and effective alternative to the classical positional cloning strategies in zebrafish. ..
- Hutchinson S, Tooke Locke E, Wang J, Tsai S, Katz T, Trede N. Tbl3 regulates cell cycle length during zebrafish development. Dev Biol. 2012;368:261-72 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that tbl3 plays a tissue-specific role regulating cell cycle rate during development. ..
- Zhai G, Song J, Shu T, Yan J, Jin X, He J, et al. LRH-1 senses signaling from phosphatidylcholine to regulate the expansion growth of digestive organs via synergy with Wnt/Î²-catenin signaling in zebrafish. J Genet Genomics. 2017;44:307-317 pubmed publisher..These data provide evidence for the crosstalk between the PC/LRH-1 and Wnt/Î²-catenin signaling pathways during the expansion growth of endoderm organs. ..
- Huang W, Wang G, Delaspre F, Vitery M, Beer R, Parsons M. Retinoic acid plays an evolutionarily conserved and biphasic role in pancreas development. Dev Biol. 2014;394:83-93 pubmed publisher..We reveal here that later in development RA is involved in negatively regulating the further differentiation of pancreatic progenitors and expands upon the developmental mechanisms by which this occurs. ..
- Naye F, Voz M, Detry N, Hammerschmidt M, Peers B, Manfroid I. Essential roles of zebrafish bmp2a, fgf10, and fgf24 in the specification of the ventral pancreas. Mol Biol Cell. 2012;23:945-54 pubmed publisher..These mutants display ventral pancreas agenesis and ectopic masses of hepatocytes. Overall, these data highlight the dynamic role of BMP and FGF in the patterning of the hepatopancreatic region. ..
- Cox A, Tsomides A, Kim A, Saunders D, Hwang K, Evason K, et al. Selenoprotein H is an essential regulator of redox homeostasis that cooperates with p53 in development and tumorigenesis. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2016;113:E5562-71 pubmed publisher..Overall, our findings establish that seph regulates redox homeostasis and suppresses DNA damage. We hypothesize that SepH deficiency may contribute to the increased cancer risk observed in cohorts with low selenium levels. ..
- Wang Y, Luo Y, Hong Y, Peng J, Lo L. Ribosome biogenesis factor Bms1-like is essential for liver development in zebrafish. J Genet Genomics. 2012;39:451-62 pubmed publisher..Therefore, our findings demonstrate that Bms1l is necessary for zebrafish liver development...
- Tiso N, Filippi A, Pauls S, Bortolussi M, Argenton F. BMP signalling regulates anteroposterior endoderm patterning in zebrafish. Mech Dev. 2002;118:29-37 pubmed..Our results suggest that by regulating the expression of her5, the Bmp2b/Chordin gradient directs the anteroposterior patterning of endoderm in zebrafish embryos. ..
- Gao W, Xu L, Guan R, Liu X, Han Y, Wu Q, et al. Wdr18 is required for Kupffer's vesicle formation and regulation of body asymmetry in zebrafish. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e23386 pubmed publisher..Thus, we reveal a new and essential role for WD-repeat proteins in the determination and regulation of L-R asymmetry and propose a potential mechanism for wdr18 in the regulation of DFC clustering and migration and KV formation. ..
- Qin W, Chen Z, Zhang Y, Yan R, Yan G, Li S, et al. Nom1 mediates pancreas development by regulating ribosome biogenesis in zebrafish. PLoS ONE. 2014;9:e100796 pubmed publisher..This suggests that targeting Pp1? into the nucleolus by Nom1 is important for pancreatic proliferation. Altogether, our studies revealed a new mechanism involving Nom1 in controlling vertebrate exocrine pancreas formation. ..
- Thakur P, Stuckenholz C, Rivera M, Davison J, Yao J, Amsterdam A, et al. Lack of de novo phosphatidylinositol synthesis leads to endoplasmic reticulum stress and hepatic steatosis in cdipt-deficient zebrafish. Hepatology. 2011;54:452-62 pubmed publisher..The tractability of hi559 mutant provides a valuable tool to dissect ERSR components, their contribution to molecular pathogenesis, and evaluation of novel therapeutics of NAFLD. ..
- Sandoval I, Delacruz R, Miller B, Hill S, Olson K, Gabriel A, et al. A metabolic switch controls intestinal differentiation downstream of Adenomatous polyposis coli (APC). elife. 2017;6: pubmed publisher..Our data demonstrate a novel role for apc in pyruvate metabolism and that pyruvate metabolism dictates intestinal cell fate and differentiation decisions downstream of apc. ..
- Perera E, YÃºfera M. Soybean Meal and Soy Protein Concentrate in Early Diet Elicit Different Nutritional Programming Effects on Juvenile Zebrafish. Zebrafish. 2016;13:61-9 pubmed publisher..These findings sustain the rationale of using zebrafish for depicting molecular mechanisms involved in nutritional programming. ..