Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: prox1a
Description: prospero homeobox 1a
Alias: prox1, zgc:111888, prospero homeobox protein 1, prospero-related homeobox gene 1, prospero-related homeobox gene 1a
- van Impel A, Zhao Z, Hermkens D, Roukens M, Fischer J, Peterson Maduro J, et al. Divergence of zebrafish and mouse lymphatic cell fate specification pathways. Development. 2014;141:1228-38 pubmed publisher..Here, we re-examine the role of Prox1a in zebrafish lymphangiogenesis...
- Godinho L, Williams P, Claassen Y, Provost E, Leach S, Kamermans M, et al. Nonapical symmetric divisions underlie horizontal cell layer formation in the developing retina in vivo. Neuron. 2007;56:597-603 pubmed..The precursor cells morphologically resemble immature, postmitotic HCs and express HC markers such as ptf1a and Prox1 prior to division...
- Elworthy S, Hargrave M, Knight R, Mebus K, Ingham P. Expression of multiple slow myosin heavy chain genes reveals a diversity of zebrafish slow twitch muscle fibres with differing requirements for Hedgehog and Prdm1 activity. Development. 2008;135:2115-26 pubmed publisher..The adult trunk slow fibres express smyhc2 and smyhc3, but lack smyhc1 expression. The different slow fibres in the craniofacial muscles variously express smyhc1, smyhc2 and smyhc3, and all differentiate independently of Prdm1...
- Wolff C, Roy S, Ingham P. Multiple muscle cell identities induced by distinct levels and timing of hedgehog activity in the zebrafish embryo. Curr Biol. 2003;13:1169-81 pubmed..Allocation of the correct number of cells to a specific fate depends upon the range of Hh activity. The timing of exposure to Hh determines the response of cells to the signal. ..
- Chai C, Liu Y, Chan W. Ff1b is required for the development of steroidogenic component of the zebrafish interrenal organ. Dev Biol. 2003;260:226-44 pubmed..Based on these data, we propose that ff1b is required for the development of the steroidogenic tissue of the interrenal organ...
- Hogan B, Bos F, Bussmann J, Witte M, Chi N, Duckers H, et al. Ccbe1 is required for embryonic lymphangiogenesis and venous sprouting. Nat Genet. 2009;41:396-8 pubmed publisher..Ccbe1 acts at the same stage of development as Vegfc and is required for lymphangioblast budding and angiogenic sprouting from venous endothelium. ..
- Hollway G, Maule J, Gautier P, Evans T, Keenan D, Lohs C, et al. Scube2 mediates Hedgehog signalling in the zebrafish embryo. Dev Biol. 2006;294:104-18 pubmed..In support of this model we show that scube2 has homology to cubilin, which encodes an endocytic receptor involved in protein trafficking suggesting a possible mode of function for Scube2 during HH signal transduction. ..
- Ober E, Verkade H, Field H, Stainier D. Mesodermal Wnt2b signalling positively regulates liver specification. Nature. 2006;442:688-91 pubmed..In zebrafish, the onset of liver specification is marked by the localized endodermal expression of hhex and prox1 at 22 hours post fertilization...
- Pistocchi A, Gaudenzi G, Carra S, Bresciani E, Del Giacco L, Cotelli F. Crucial role of zebrafish prox1 in hypothalamic catecholaminergic neurons development. BMC Dev Biol. 2008;8:27 pubmed publisherb>Prox1, the vertebrate homolog of prospero in Drosophila melanogaster, is a divergent homeogene that regulates cell proliferation, fate determination and differentiation during vertebrate embryonic development...
- Flynt A, Li N, Thatcher E, Solnica Krezel L, Patton J. Zebrafish miR-214 modulates Hedgehog signaling to specify muscle cell fate. Nat Genet. 2007;39:259-63 pubmed..Through regulation of su(fu), miR-214 enables precise specification of muscle cell types by sharpening cellular responses to Hedgehog. ..
- Tay S, Ingham P, Roy S. A homologue of the Drosophila kinesin-like protein Costal2 regulates Hedgehog signal transduction in the vertebrate embryo. Development. 2005;132:625-34 pubmed
- Chen J, Ruan H, Ng S, Gao C, Soo H, Wu W, et al. Loss of function of def selectively up-regulates Delta113p53 expression to arrest expansion growth of digestive organs in zebrafish. Genes Dev. 2005;19:2900-11 pubmed
- Farooq M, Sulochana K, Pan X, To J, Sheng D, Gong Z, et al. Histone deacetylase 3 (hdac3) is specifically required for liver development in zebrafish. Dev Biol. 2008;317:336-53 pubmed publisher..These results revealed a novel and specific role of hdac3 in liver development and the distinct functions between hdac1 and hdac3 in zebrafish embryonic development. ..
- Liu Y, Gao W, Teh H, Tan J, Chan W. Prox1 is a novel coregulator of Ff1b and is involved in the embryonic development of the zebra fish interrenal primordium. Mol Cell Biol. 2003;23:7243-55 pubmed..In this study, results of biochemical analyses suggest that Ff1b and other Ff1 members interact with Prox1, a homeodomain protein...
- Roy S, Wolff C, Ingham P. The u-boot mutation identifies a Hedgehog-regulated myogenic switch for fiber-type diversification in the zebrafish embryo. Genes Dev. 2001;15:1563-76 pubmed..slow muscle precursors abort their developmental program, failing to activate expression of the homeobox gene prox1 and transfating into muscle cells with fast fiber properties...
- Shin D, Shin C, Tucker J, Ober E, Rentzsch F, Poss K, et al. Bmp and Fgf signaling are essential for liver specification in zebrafish. Development. 2007;134:2041-50 pubmed..We found that the expression of hhex and prox1, the earliest liver markers in zebrafish, was severely reduced in the liver region when Bmp or Fgf signaling was ..
- Matsui T, Raya A, Kawakami Y, Callol Massot C, Capdevila J, Rodriguez Esteban C, et al. Noncanonical Wnt signaling regulates midline convergence of organ primordia during zebrafish development. Genes Dev. 2005;19:164-75 pubmed..Overall, our results uncover a late, previously unexpected role of noncanonical Wnt signaling in the control of midline assembly of organ precursors during vertebrate embryo development. ..
- Flores M, Hall C, Crosier K, Crosier P. Visualization of embryonic lymphangiogenesis advances the use of the zebrafish model for research in cancer and lymphatic pathologies. Dev Dyn. 2010;239:2128-35 pubmed publisher..expression pattern during embryogenesis, and under conditions where key regulators of lymphangiogenesis such as Prox1 and VegfC were depleted...
- Ingham P, Kim H. Hedgehog signalling and the specification of muscle cell identity in the zebrafish embryo. Exp Cell Res. 2005;306:336-42 pubmed..Distinct muscle cell identities are induced by varying levels of signalling activity. The SET domain transcription factor, Blimp1, is a key target of Hedgehog signalling in this process. ..
- Pistocchi A, Bartesaghi S, Cotelli F, Del Giacco L. Identification and expression pattern of zebrafish prox2 during embryonic development. Dev Dyn. 2008;237:3916-20 pubmed publisherProx2, together with the previously isolated Prox1, is the vertebrate homolog of the Drosophila homeobox-containing gene prospero, the founder member of a family of transcription factors which have been shown to play critical roles in ..
- Anderson R, Bosch J, Goll M, Hesselson D, Dong P, Shin D, et al. Loss of Dnmt1 catalytic activity reveals multiple roles for DNA methylation during pancreas development and regeneration. Dev Biol. 2009;334:213-23 pubmed publisher..In addition, Dnmt1 may influence the differentiation of pancreatic beta cell progenitors or the reprogramming of cells toward the pancreatic beta cell fate. ..
- Shin D, Weidinger G, Moon R, Stainier D. Intrinsic and extrinsic modifiers of the regulative capacity of the developing liver. Mech Dev. 2012;128:525-35 pubmed publisher..Altogether, these studies reveal that there is more than one way to form a liver, and provide molecular insights into the phenomenon of tissue plasticity. ..
- Fraher D, Ellis M, Morrison S, McGee S, Ward A, Walder K, et al. Lipid Abundance in Zebrafish Embryos Is Regulated by Complementary Actions of the Endocannabinoid System and Retinoic Acid Pathway. Endocrinology. 2015;156:3596-609 pubmed publisher..Our study shows for the first time that the RA and ECS pathways have additive function in lipid abundance during vertebrate development. ..
- Gariano G, Guarienti M, Bresciani R, Borsani G, Carola G, Monti E, et al. Analysis of three ?1-AP1 subunits during zebrafish development. Dev Dyn. 2014;243:299-314 pubmed publisher..Each of the ?1 adaptins appears to mediate specific molecular mechanisms essential for early developmental processes, which depends on specific intracellular vesicular protein sorting pathways. ..
- Liu L, Alexa K, Cortes M, Schatzman Bone S, Kim A, Mukhopadhyay B, et al. Cannabinoid receptor signaling regulates liver development and metabolism. Development. 2016;143:609-22 pubmed publisher..Our work describes a novel developmental role for EC signaling, whereby Cnr-mediated regulation of Srebfs and methionine metabolism impacts liver development and function. ..
- Dahl Ejby Jensen L, Cao R, Hedlund E, Söll I, Lundberg J, Hauptmann G, et al. Nitric oxide permits hypoxia-induced lymphatic perfusion by controlling arterial-lymphatic conduits in zebrafish and glass catfish. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2009;106:18408-13 pubmed publisher..Our results might also imply that the hypoxia-induced NO pathway contributes to development of progression of pathologies, including promotion of lymphatic metastasis by modulating arterial-lymphatic conduits, in the mammalian system. ..
- Yang S, Aw S, Chang C, Korzh S, Korzh V, Peng J. Depletion of Bhmt elevates sonic hedgehog transcript level and increases ?-cell number in zebrafish. Endocrinology. 2011;152:4706-17 pubmed publisher..Therefore, although there are still many intriguing questions to be answered, our finding may identify a novel function for Bhmt involving modulation of Shh signaling to control ?-cell development. ..
- Nakayama Y, Miyake A, Nakagawa Y, Mido T, Yoshikawa M, Konishi M, et al. Fgf19 is required for zebrafish lens and retina development. Dev Biol. 2008;313:752-66 pubmed..Knockdown of Fgf19 also caused incorrect axon pathfinding. The present findings indicate that Fgf19 positively regulates the patterning and growth of the retina, and the differentiation and growth of the lens in zebrafish. ..
- Li Y, Farooq M, Sheng D, Chandramouli C, Lan T, Mahajan N, et al. Augmenter of liver regeneration (alr) promotes liver outgrowth during zebrafish hepatogenesis. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e30835 pubmed publisher..The dose-dependent and partial suppression of alr expression through MO-mediated knockdown allows the identification of its late developmental role in vertebrate liver organogenesis. ..
- Zhai G, Song J, Shu T, Yan J, Jin X, He J, et al. LRH-1 senses signaling from phosphatidylcholine to regulate the expansion growth of digestive organs via synergy with Wnt/Î²-catenin signaling in zebrafish. J Genet Genomics. 2017;44:307-317 pubmed publisher..These data provide evidence for the crosstalk between the PC/LRH-1 and Wnt/Î²-catenin signaling pathways during the expansion growth of endoderm organs. ..
- Liew H, Choksi S, Wong K, Roy S. Specification of vertebrate slow-twitch muscle fiber fate by the transcriptional regulator Blimp1. Dev Biol. 2008;324:226-35 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these findings provide new insights into the molecular basis of vertebrate muscle fiber-type specification, and underscore Blimp1 as the central determinant of this process. ..
- Jackson H, Ono Y, Wang X, Elworthy S, Cunliffe V, Ingham P. The role of Sox6 in zebrafish muscle fiber type specification. Skelet Muscle. 2015;5:2 pubmed publisher..They also exhibited a striking curvature of the spine. The Sox6 transcription factor is a key regulator of fast-twitch muscle fiber differentiation in the zebrafish, a role similar to that ascribed to its murine ortholog. ..
- Corbit K, Aanstad P, Singla V, Norman A, Stainier D, Reiter J. Vertebrate Smoothened functions at the primary cilium. Nature. 2005;437:1018-21 pubmed..Thus, Hh-dependent translocation to cilia is essential for Smo activity, suggesting that Smo acts at the primary cilium. ..
- Coutinho P, Pavlou S, Bhatia S, Chalmers K, Kleinjan D, van Heyningen V. Discovery and assessment of conserved Pax6 target genes and enhancers. Genome Res. 2011;21:1349-59 pubmed publisher..We have identified several novel direct targets, including some putative disease genes, among them Foxp2; these will allow further dissection of Pax6 function in development and disease. ..
- Ernens I, Lumley A, Zhang L, Devaux Y, Wagner D. Hypoxia inhibits lymphatic thoracic duct formation in zebrafish. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2017;482:1129-1134 pubmed publisher..0001). Hypoxia inhibited the expression of pro-lymphangiogenic factors prox1a, vegfc and vegfr-3. This inhibition was relieved after re-oxygenation...
- Yaniv K, Isogai S, Castranova D, Dye L, Hitomi J, Weinstein B. Imaging the developing lymphatic system using the zebrafish. Novartis Found Symp. 2007;283:139-48; discussion 148-51, 238-41 pubmed..Our data provide conclusive new evidence supporting a venous origin for primitive lymphatic endothelial cells. ..
- Oishi I, Kawakami Y, Raya A, Callol Massot C, Izpisua Belmonte J. Regulation of primary cilia formation and left-right patterning in zebrafish by a noncanonical Wnt signaling mediator, duboraya. Nat Genet. 2006;38:1316-22 pubmed
- Von Hofsten J, Elworthy S, Gilchrist M, Smith J, Wardle F, Ingham P. Prdm1- and Sox6-mediated transcriptional repression specifies muscle fibre type in the zebrafish embryo. EMBO Rep. 2008;9:683-9 pubmed publisher..Thus, Prdm1 promotes slow-twitch fibre differentiation by acting as a global repressor of fast-fibre-specific genes, as well as by abrogating the repression of slow-fibre-specific genes...
- Lobbardi R, Lambert G, Zhao J, Geisler R, Kim H, Rosa F. Fine-tuning of Hh signaling by the RNA-binding protein Quaking to control muscle development. Development. 2011;138:1783-94 pubmed publisher..Thus, our results reveal a new mechanism to ensure muscle cell fate diversity by fine-tuning of the Hh signaling pathway via RNA-binding proteins. ..
- Feng X, Adiarte E, Devoto S. Hedgehog acts directly on the zebrafish dermomyotome to promote myogenic differentiation. Dev Biol. 2006;300:736-46 pubmed..We propose that Hedgehog signaling acts at multiple times on different lineages, through different downstream pathways, to promote myogenic differentiation. ..
- Ochocinska M, Hitchcock P. NeuroD regulates proliferation of photoreceptor progenitors in the retina of the zebrafish. Mech Dev. 2009;126:128-41 pubmed publisher..This is the first in vivo demonstration in the retina of cell cycle regulation by NeuroD. ..
- Manfroid I, Ghaye A, Naye F, Detry N, Palm S, Pan L, et al. Zebrafish sox9b is crucial for hepatopancreatic duct development and pancreatic endocrine cell regeneration. Dev Biol. 2012;366:268-78 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, beta cell recovery after specific ablation is severely compromised in sox9b mutant larvae. Our data position sox9b as a key player in the generation of secondary endocrine cells deriving from pancreatic ducts in zebrafish...
- Baas D, Caussanel Boude S, Guiraud A, Calhabeu F, Delaune E, Pilot F, et al. CKIP-1 regulates mammalian and zebrafish myoblast fusion. J Cell Sci. 2012;125:3790-800 pubmed publisher..These results establish CKIP-1 as a regulator of cortical actin that recruits the Arp2/3 complex at the plasma membrane essential for muscle precursor elongation and fusion. ..
- Oka Y, Sato T. Whole-mount single molecule FISH method for zebrafish embryo. Sci Rep. 2015;5:8571 pubmed publisher..The whole-mount smFISH method described in this report is expected to facilitate the study of noise in gene expression and its role in zebrafish, a vertebrate animal model relevant to human biology. ..
- Anderson K, Singer R, Balderes D, Hernandez Lagunas L, Johnson C, Artinger K, et al. The L6 domain tetraspanin Tm4sf4 regulates endocrine pancreas differentiation and directed cell migration. Development. 2011;138:3213-24 pubmed publisher..Identification of a role for Tm4sf4 during endocrine differentiation provides insight into islet progenitor cell behaviors and potential targetable regenerative mechanisms. ..
- Loh S, Teh C, Müller J, Guccione E, Hong W, Korzh V. Zebrafish yap1 plays a role in differentiation of hair cells in posterior lateral line. Sci Rep. 2014;4:4289 pubmed publisher..embryos demonstrated changes in expression of many genes, including the Wnt signaling pathway and, in particular, prox1a known for its role in development of mechanoreceptors in the lateral line...
- Anderson R, Delous M, Bosch J, Ye L, Robertson M, Hesselson D, et al. Hepatocyte growth factor signaling in intrapancreatic ductal cells drives pancreatic morphogenesis. PLoS Genet. 2013;9:e1003650 pubmed publisher..Altogether, these results reveal a novel and essential role for HGF signaling in the intrapancreatic ducts during exocrine morphogenesis. ..
- Lancman J, Zvenigorodsky N, Gates K, Zhang D, Solomon K, Humphrey R, et al. Specification of hepatopancreas progenitors in zebrafish by hnf1ba and wnt2bb. Development. 2013;140:2669-79 pubmed publisher..Collectively, our findings provide a new model for HNF1B function, yield insight into pancreas and ?-cell development, and suggest a new mechanism for hepatopancreatic specification...
- Agarwala S, Duquesne S, Liu K, Boehm A, Grimm L, Link S, et al. Amotl2a interacts with the Hippo effector Yap1 and the Wnt/Î²-catenin effector Lef1 to control tissue size in zebrafish. elife. 2015;4:e08201 pubmed publisher..Our results implicate for the first time the Hippo pathway in size regulation in the LL system. We further provide evidence that the Hippo/Motin interaction is essential to limit tissue size during development. ..
- Chatterjee M, Guo Q, Weber S, Scholpp S, LI J. Pax6 regulates the formation of the habenular nuclei by controlling the temporospatial expression of Shh in the diencephalon in vertebrates. BMC Biol. 2014;12:13 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, Shh mediates Pax6 function in regulating the partition of the p2 domain into the epithalamus and thalamus. ..
- Dalgin G, Ward A, Hao L, Beattie C, Nechiporuk A, Prince V. Zebrafish mnx1 controls cell fate choice in the developing endocrine pancreas. Development. 2011;138:4597-608 pubmed publisher..In Mnx1-deficient embryos, precursor cells that are normally destined to differentiate as beta cells instead take on an alpha cell fate. Our findings suggest that Mnx1 functions to promote beta and suppress alpha cell fates...
- Wu J, Choi T, Shin D. tomm22 Knockdown-Mediated Hepatocyte Damages Elicit Both the Formation of Hybrid Hepatocytes and Biliary Conversion to Hepatocytes in Zebrafish Larvae. Gene Expr. 2017;17:237-249 pubmed publisher..This new liver injury model in which both hepatocytes and BECs contribute to regenerated hepatocytes will aid in better understanding the mechanisms of innate liver regeneration in the diseased liver. ..
- Ningappa M, So J, Glessner J, Ashokkumar C, Ranganathan S, Min J, et al. The Role of ARF6 in Biliary Atresia. PLoS ONE. 2015;10:e0138381 pubmed publisher..3 susceptibility locus encompassing the ARF6 gene. arf6 knockdown in zebrafish implicates early biliary dysgenesis as a basis for BA, and also suggests a role for EGFR signaling in BA pathogenesis. ..
- Dong P, Provost E, Leach S, Stainier D. Graded levels of Ptf1a differentially regulate endocrine and exocrine fates in the developing pancreas. Genes Dev. 2008;22:1445-50 pubmed publisher..We propose that low levels of Ptf1a promote endocrine fate, whereas high levels repress endocrine fate and promote exocrine fate. ..
- Niu X, Gao C, Jan Lo L, Luo Y, Meng C, Hong J, et al. Sec13 safeguards the integrity of the endoplasmic reticulum and organogenesis of the digestive system in zebrafish. Dev Biol. 2012;367:197-207 pubmed publisher..Our data provide the first direct genetic evidence that COPII function is essential for the organogenesis of the digestive system...
- Brennan C, Mangoli M, Dyer C, Ashworth R. Acetylcholine and calcium signalling regulates muscle fibre formation in the zebrafish embryo. J Cell Sci. 2005;118:5181-90 pubmed
- Villeneuve L, Wang R, Bencic D, Biales A, Martinovic D, Lazorchak J, et al. Altered gene expression in the brain and ovaries of zebrafish (Danio rerio) exposed to the aromatase inhibitor fadrozole: microarray analysis and hypothesis generation. Environ Toxicol Chem. 2009;28:1767-82 pubmed publisher..These hypotheses and others derived from the microarray results provide a foundation for future studies aimed at understanding responses of the HPG axis to EACs and other chemical stressors. ..
- Yin C, Solnica Krezel L. Convergence and extension movements mediate the specification and fate maintenance of zebrafish slow muscle precursors. Dev Biol. 2007;304:141-55 pubmed..Our results underscore the significance of precise coordination between cell movements and inductive tissue interactions during cell fate specification. ..
- Koltowska K, Lagendijk A, Pichol Thievend C, Fischer J, Francois M, Ober E, et al. Vegfc Regulates Bipotential Precursor Division and Prox1 Expression to Promote Lymphatic Identity in Zebrafish. Cell Rep. 2015;13:1828-41 pubmed publisher..In the cardinal vein, cellular commitment is linked with the division of bipotential Prox1-positive precursor cells, which occurs immediately prior to sprouting angiogenesis...
- Tiso N, Filippi A, Pauls S, Bortolussi M, Argenton F. BMP signalling regulates anteroposterior endoderm patterning in zebrafish. Mech Dev. 2002;118:29-37 pubmed..Our results suggest that by regulating the expression of her5, the Bmp2b/Chordin gradient directs the anteroposterior patterning of endoderm in zebrafish embryos. ..
- Alexa K, Choe S, Hirsch N, Etheridge L, Laver E, SAGERSTROM C. Maternal and zygotic aldh1a2 activity is required for pancreas development in zebrafish. PLoS ONE. 2009;4:e8261 pubmed publisher..is less affected in the mutant, with varying degrees of residual expression observed for pdx1, carbA, hhex, prox1, sid4, transferrin and ifabp. In addition, mutant embryos display a swollen pericardium and lack fin buds...
- Ellertsdottir E, Ganz J, Durr K, Loges N, Biemar F, Seifert F, et al. A mutation in the zebrafish Na,K-ATPase subunit atp1a1a.1 provides genetic evidence that the sodium potassium pump contributes to left-right asymmetry downstream or in parallel to nodal flow. Dev Dyn. 2006;235:1794-808 pubmed..Therefore, the Na,K-ATPase is required downstream or in parallel to monocilia function during initiation of left-right asymmetry in zebrafish. ..
- Yan H, Zhang C, Wang Z, Tu T, Duan H, Luo Y, et al. CD146 is required for VEGF-C-induced lymphatic sprouting during lymphangiogenesis. Sci Rep. 2017;7:7442 pubmed publisher..Altogether, our data reveals a critical role of CD146 to mediate VEGF-C signaling pathway in lymphangiogenesis. ..
- Devakanmalai G, Zumrut H, Ozbudak E. Cited3 activates Mef2c to control muscle cell differentiation and survival. Biol Open. 2013;2:505-14 pubmed publisher..Our findings demonstrate that Cited3 is a critical transcriptional coactivator functioning during muscle differentiation and its absence leads to defects in terminal differentiation and survival of muscle cells. ..
- Lu H, Ma J, Yang Y, Shi W, Luo L. EpCAM is an endoderm-specific Wnt derepressor that licenses hepatic development. Dev Cell. 2013;24:543-53 pubmed publisher..Our results identify EpCAM as the key molecule and its functional mechanism to confer endodermal cells the competence to respond to the liver-inductive Wnt2bb signal. ..
- Li N, Flynt A, Kim H, Solnica Krezel L, Patton J. Dispatched Homolog 2 is targeted by miR-214 through a combination of three weak microRNA recognition sites. Nucleic Acids Res. 2008;36:4277-85 pubmed publisher..This finding underscores the challenge that prediction algorithms face and emphasizes the need to experimentally validate predicted MREs. ..