Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: prdm1a
Description: PR domain containing 1a, with ZNF domain
Alias: Blimp-1, Blimp1, nrd, prdm1, ubo, wu:fb99c12, zgc:91885, PR domain zinc finger protein 1, B lymphocyte-induced maturation protein 1, PR domain containing 1, with ZNF domain, PR domain-containing 1, U boot, narrowminded, u-boot
- Artinger K, Chitnis A, Mercola M, Driever W. Zebrafish narrowminded suggests a genetic link between formation of neural crest and primary sensory neurons. Development. 1999;126:3969-79 pubmed..From an in situ hybridization based expression analysis screen, we have identified a novel zebrafish mutation, narrowminded (nrd), which reduces the number of early neural crest cells and eliminates Rohon-Beard (RB) sensory neurons...
- Baxendale S, Davison C, Muxworthy C, Wolff C, Ingham P, Roy S. The B-cell maturation factor Blimp-1 specifies vertebrate slow-twitch muscle fiber identity in response to Hedgehog signaling. Nat Genet. 2004;36:88-93 pubmed..Here we show that the gene u-boot (ubo), a mutation in which disrupts the induction of embryonic slow-twitch fibers, encodes the zebrafish homolog of ..
- Hernandez Lagunas L, Choi I, Kaji T, Simpson P, Hershey C, Zhou Y, et al. Zebrafish narrowminded disrupts the transcription factor prdm1 and is required for neural crest and sensory neuron specification. Dev Biol. 2005;278:347-57 pubmed..The molecular mechanisms directing this process are not well understood. The zebrafish narrowminded (nrd) mutation is unique, since it is one of two mutations in which defects are observed in both cell ..
- Von Hofsten J, Elworthy S, Gilchrist M, Smith J, Wardle F, Ingham P. Prdm1- and Sox6-mediated transcriptional repression specifies muscle fibre type in the zebrafish embryo. EMBO Rep. 2008;9:683-9 pubmed publisherThe zebrafish u-boot (ubo) gene encodes the transcription factor Prdm1, which is essential for the specification of the primary slow-twitch muscle fibres that derive from adaxial cells...
- Hammond K, Baxendale S, McCauley D, Ingham P, Whitfield T. Expression of patched, prdm1 and engrailed in the lamprey somite reveals conserved responses to Hedgehog signaling. Evol Dev. 2009;11:27-40 pubmed publisherIn the zebrafish embryo, expression of the prdm1 and patched1 genes in adaxial cells is indicative of their specification to give rise to slow twitch muscle fibers in response to Hedgehog (Hh) signaling...
- Hernandez Lagunas L, Powell D, Law J, Grant K, Artinger K. prdm1a and olig4 act downstream of Notch signaling to regulate cell fate at the neural plate border. Dev Biol. 2011;356:496-505 pubmed publisherThe zinc finger domain transcription factor prdm1a plays an integral role in the development of the neural plate border cell fates, including neural crest cells and Rohon-Beard (RB) sensory neurons...
- Roy S, Ng T. Blimp-1 specifies neural crest and sensory neuron progenitors in the zebrafish embryo. Curr Biol. 2004;14:1772-7 pubmed..Here, we show that the zebrafish homolog of the B-lymphocyte-induced maturation protein (Blimp-1) gene, u-boot (ubo), is induced by BMP signaling in cells at the boundary of the neural plate and nonneural ectoderm...
- Hughes S. Muscle differentiation: a gene for slow muscle?. Curr Biol. 2004;14:R156-7 pubmed..Zebrafish screens have provided a handle on the molecular mechanism driving slow muscle formation. The transcriptional repressor Blimp1 has now been shown to be required in embryonic slow muscle precursor cells.
- Wang X, Zhao Z, Müller J, Iyu A, Khng A, Guccione E, et al. Targeted inactivation and identification of targets of the Gli2a transcription factor in the zebrafish. Biol Open. 2013;2:1203-13 pubmed publisher..dispensable in the fish but acts redundantly with Gli1 to regulate expression of known Hh targets, such as ptch2, prdm1a and eng2a, in the myotome and neural tube...
- He X, Yan Y, Eberhart J, Herpin A, Wagner T, Schartl M, et al. miR-196 regulates axial patterning and pectoral appendage initiation. Dev Biol. 2011;357:463-77 pubmed publisher..These results show that a Hox cluster microRNA modulates development of axial patterning similar to nearby protein-coding Hox genes, and acts on appendicular patterning at least in part by modulating retinoic acid signaling. ..
- Li W, Cornell R. Redundant activities of Tfap2a and Tfap2c are required for neural crest induction and development of other non-neural ectoderm derivatives in zebrafish embryos. Dev Biol. 2007;304:338-54 pubmed
- Burckle C, Gaudé H, Vesque C, Silbermann F, Salomon R, Jeanpierre C, et al. Control of the Wnt pathways by nephrocystin-4 is required for morphogenesis of the zebrafish pronephros. Hum Mol Genet. 2011;20:2611-27 pubmed publisher..Moreover, they highlight common signalling functions for inversin and nephrocystin-4, suggesting that these two nephrocystins are involved in common physiopathological mechanisms. ..
- Lobbardi R, Lambert G, Zhao J, Geisler R, Kim H, Rosa F. Fine-tuning of Hh signaling by the RNA-binding protein Quaking to control muscle development. Development. 2011;138:1783-94 pubmed publisher..Thus, our results reveal a new mechanism to ensure muscle cell fate diversity by fine-tuning of the Hh signaling pathway via RNA-binding proteins. ..
- Osborn D, Li K, Hinits Y, Hughes S. Cdkn1c drives muscle differentiation through a positive feedback loop with Myod. Dev Biol. 2011;350:464-75 pubmed publisher..Cdkn1c co-operates with Myod to drive differentiation of several early zebrafish muscle fibre types. Myod in turn up-regulates cdkn1c, thereby providing a positive feedback loop that switches myogenic cells to terminal differentiation. ..
- Nikitina N, Tong L, Bronner M. Ancestral network module regulating prdm1 expression in the lamprey neural plate border. Dev Dyn. 2011;240:2265-71 pubmed publisherb>prdm1 is an important transcriptional regulator that plays diverse roles during development of a wide variety of vertebrate and invertebrate species. prdm1 is required for neural crest specification in zebrafish, but not in mouse embryos...
- Pyati U, Cooper M, Davidson A, Nechiporuk A, Kimelman D. Sustained Bmp signaling is essential for cloaca development in zebrafish. Development. 2006;133:2275-84 pubmed..Furthermore, our data suggest that alterations in Bmp signaling are one possible cause of anorectal malformations during human embryogenesis...
- Rossi C, Kaji T, Artinger K. Transcriptional control of Rohon-Beard sensory neuron development at the neural plate border. Dev Dyn. 2009;238:931-43 pubmed publisher..plate border (NPB), the junction between neural and epidermal ectoderm, and require the transcription factor prdm1a. Here, we show that prior to RB differentiation, prdm1a overlaps extensively with the epidermal marker dlx3b but ..
- Yao Z, Farr G, Tapscott S, Maves L. Pbx and Prdm1a transcription factors differentially regulate subsets of the fast skeletal muscle program in zebrafish. Biol Open. 2013;2:546-55 pubmed publisher..Here we have investigated the interactions of Pbx with another muscle fiber-type regulator, Prdm1a, a SET-domain DNA-binding factor that directly represses mylpfa expression and fast muscle differentiation...
- Powell D, Hernandez Lagunas L, Lamonica K, Artinger K. Prdm1a directly activates foxd3 and tfap2a during zebrafish neural crest specification. Development. 2013;140:3445-55 pubmed publisher..Here, we have established that the PR/SET domain-containing transcription factor Prdm1a is co-expressed with two essential neural crest specifiers, foxd3 and tfap2a, at the neural plate border...
- Baranowska KÃ¶rberg I, Hofmeister W, Markljung E, Cao J, Nilsson D, Ludwig M, et al. WNT3 involvement in human bladder exstrophy and cloaca development in zebrafish. Hum Mol Genet. 2015;24:5069-78 pubmed publisher..638G>A (p.Gly213Asp), which was paternally inherited. In aggregate our data support the involvement of WNT-pathway genes in BEEC and suggest that WNT3 in itself is a rare cause of BEEC. ..
- Lamonica K, Ding H, Artinger K. prdm1a functions upstream of itga5 in zebrafish craniofacial development. Genesis. 2015;53:270-7 pubmed publisher..Signaling and transcription factors, such as prdm1a regulate this interaction, but it remains unclear which specific factors are required for posterior pharyngeal ..
- Li P, Wang B, Cao D, Liu Y, Zhang Q, Wang X. Characterization and functional analysis of the Paralichthys olivaceus prdm1 gene promoter. Comp Biochem Physiol B Biochem Mol Biol. 2017;212:32-40 pubmed publisherPR domain containing protein 1 (Prdm1) is a transcriptional repressor identified in various species and plays multiple important roles in immune response and embryonic development...
- Ono Y, Yu W, Jackson H, Parkin C, Ingham P. Adaxial cell migration in the zebrafish embryo is an active cell autonomous property that requires the Prdm1a transcription factor. Differentiation. 2015;89:77-86 pubmed publisher..Loss of function of the Prdm1a transcription factor disrupts the polarisation and migration of adaxial cells, reflecting a role that is ..
- Olesnicky E, Hernandez Lagunas L, Artinger K. prdm1a Regulates sox10 and islet1 in the development of neural crest and Rohon-Beard sensory neurons. Genesis. 2010;48:656-66 pubmed publisherThe PR domain containing 1a, with ZNF domain factor, gene (prdm1a) plays an integral role in the development of a number of different cell types during vertebrate embryogenesis, including neural crest cells, Rohon-Beard (RB) sensory ..
- Nornes S, Newman M, Wells S, Verdile G, Martins R, Lardelli M. Independent and cooperative action of Psen2 with Psen1 in zebrafish embryos. Exp Cell Res. 2009;315:2791-801 pubmed publisher..The effects of changes in Psen2 activity on DoLA interneurons and other cells in zebrafish embryos provide bioassays for more detailed dissection of Psen2 function. ..
- Stickney H, Imai Y, Draper B, Moens C, Talbot W. Zebrafish bmp4 functions during late gastrulation to specify ventroposterior cell fates. Dev Biol. 2007;310:71-84 pubmed..In addition, we present genetic evidence supporting a role for a morphogenetic BMP gradient in establishing mesodermal fates during the later phase of BMP signaling. ..
- Hinits Y, Osborn D, Carvajal J, Rigby P, Hughes S. Mrf4 (myf6) is dynamically expressed in differentiated zebrafish skeletal muscle. Gene Expr Patterns. 2007;7:738-45 pubmed..Moreover, mrf4 expression is not detected in head muscles, at least at early stages. As fish mature, mrf4 expression is pronounced in the region of slow muscle fibres. ..
- Hinits Y, Hughes S. Mef2s are required for thick filament formation in nascent muscle fibres. Development. 2007;134:2511-9 pubmed..Our findings show that Mef2 controls skeletal muscle formation after terminal differentiation and define a new maturation step in vertebrate skeletal muscle development at which thick filament gene expression is controlled. ..
- Kelsh R, Brand M, Jiang Y, Heisenberg C, Lin S, Haffter P, et al. Zebrafish pigmentation mutations and the processes of neural crest development. Development. 1996;123:369-89 pubmed..In combination with the embryological advantages of zebrafish, these mutations should permit cellular and molecular dissection of many aspects of neural crest development...
- Culbertson M, Lewis Z, Nechiporuk A. Chondrogenic and gliogenic subpopulations of neural crest play distinct roles during the assembly of epibranchial ganglia. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e24443 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, restoration of wildtype chondrogenic NC in one of these mutants, prdm1a, is sufficient to restore ganglion formation, indicating a specific requirement of the chondrogenic NC for EB ..
- Ding H, Clouthier D, Artinger K. Redundant roles of PRDM family members in zebrafish craniofacial development. Dev Dyn. 2013;242:67-79 pubmed publisher..Previous studies have shown that prdm1a is required for the specification and differentiation of neural crest cells in the zebrafish...
- Hinits Y, Osborn D, Hughes S. Differential requirements for myogenic regulatory factors distinguish medial and lateral somitic, cranial and fin muscle fibre populations. Development. 2009;136:403-14 pubmed publisher..Mrf4 does not contribute to early myogenesis in zebrafish. We suggest that the differential use of duplicated MRF paralogues in this novel two-component myogenic system facilitated the diversification of vertebrates...
- Page D, Wittamer V, Bertrand J, Lewis K, Pratt D, Delgado N, et al. An evolutionarily conserved program of B-cell development and activation in zebrafish. Blood. 2013;122:e1-11 pubmed publisher..Finally, we used IgM1:eGFP and cd45DsRed;blimp1:eGFP zebrafish to characterize plasma B cells and investigate B-cell function...
- Parkin C, Allen C, Ingham P. Hedgehog signalling is required for cloacal development in the zebrafish embryo. Int J Dev Biol. 2009;53:45-57 pubmed publisher..These studies establish the zebrafish as a model for ARMs, and for the elucidation of other pathways involved in hindgut developmental processes. ..
- Lee B, Roy S. Blimp-1 is an essential component of the genetic program controlling development of the pectoral limb bud. Dev Biol. 2006;300:623-34 pubmed..Taken together, these results identify an additional layer of control in the genetic pathway that operates in the developing limb and provides novel insights into regulatory mechanisms that organize its pattern. ..
- Wang Y, Qian L, Dong Y, Jiang Q, Gui Y, Zhong T, et al. Myocyte-specific enhancer factor 2A is essential for zebrafish posterior somite development. Mech Dev. 2006;123:783-91 pubmed..Microarray studies reveal a number of genes that are differentially expressed in the MEF2A morphants. Our studies suggest that MEF2A is essential for zebrafish posterior somite development. ..
- Guarienti M, Cardozo S, Borgese L, Lira G, Depero L, Bontempi E, et al. COSMOS-rice technology abrogates the biotoxic effects of municipal solid waste incinerator residues. Environ Pollut. 2016;214:713-721 pubmed publisher..These results demonstrate at the biological level that the newly developed COSMOS-rice technology is an efficient and cost-effective method to process MSWI fly ash, producing a biologically safe and reusable material. ..