Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: piwil1
Description: piwi-like RNA-mediated gene silencing 1
Alias: ziwi, piwi-like protein 1, piwi-like 1
- Leu D, Draper B. The ziwi promoter drives germline-specific gene expression in zebrafish. Dev Dyn. 2010;239:2714-21 pubmed publisher..8-kb sequence isolated from the 5' end of the zebrafish germ cell-specific ziwi gene...
- Neumann J, Chandler G, Damoulis V, Fustino N, Lillard K, Looijenga L, et al. Mutation in the type IB bone morphogenetic protein receptor Alk6b impairs germ-cell differentiation and causes germ-cell tumors in zebrafish. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2011;108:13153-8 pubmed publisher..These results indicate a germ-cell-autonomous role for BMP signal transduction in germ-cell differentiation, and highlight the importance of the BMP pathway in human GCTs...
- Liu Y, Lin Z, Liu M, Wang H, Sun H. Overexpression of DYRK1A, a Down Syndrome Candidate gene, Impairs Primordial Germ Cells Maintenance and Migration in zebrafish. Sci Rep. 2017;7:15313 pubmed publisher..Of note, ca15b and piwil1, two identified critical factors for PGCs development, showed ectopic expression induced by overexpressed DYRK1A...
- Tang H, Chen Y, Liu Y, Yin Y, Li G, Guo Y, et al. New Insights Into the Role of Estrogens in Male Fertility Based on Findings in Aromatase-Deficient Zebrafish. Endocrinology. 2017;158:3042-3054 pubmed publisher..Collectively, our findings indicate that estrogens are not needed to achieve and maintain normal fertility in male zebrafish. This finding challenges the traditional view that estrogens are indispensable for male fertility. ..
- Lin Q, Mei J, Li Z, Zhang X, Zhou L, Gui J. Distinct and Cooperative Roles of amh and dmrt1 in Self-Renewal and Differentiation of Male Germ Cells in Zebrafish. Genetics. 2017;207:1007-1022 pubmed publisher..Significantly, this study unravels novel functions of amh gene in fish. ..
- Dai X, Shu Y, Lou Q, Tian Q, Zhai G, Song J, et al. Tdrd12 Is Essential for Germ Cell Development and Maintenance in Zebrafish. Int J Mol Sci. 2017;18: pubmed publisher..Our studies demonstrated that zebrafish Tdrd12 is essential for germ cell development and maintenance. ..
- Kim T, Yun T, Rengaraj D, Lee S, Lim S, Seo H, et al. Conserved functional characteristics of the PIWI family members in chicken germ cell lineage. Theriogenology. 2012;78:1948-59 pubmed publisher..Notably, the PIWI domain in the PIWIL1 protein showed high similarity between mammals and birds (80% between chickens and humans vs...
- Mich J, Blaser H, Thomas N, Firestone A, Yelon D, Raz E, et al. Germ cell migration in zebrafish is cyclopamine-sensitive but Smoothened-independent. Dev Biol. 2009;328:342-54 pubmed publisher..These results demonstrate that Hh signaling is not required for zebrafish PGC migration, and underscore the importance of regulated cell-cell adhesion for cell migration in vivo. ..
- Houwing S, Berezikov E, Ketting R. Zili is required for germ cell differentiation and meiosis in zebrafish. EMBO J. 2008;27:2702-11 pubmed publisher..Here, we provide strong evidence for a piRNA amplification loop in zebrafish, in which Ziwi and Zili bind piRNAs of opposite polarity...
- Safian D, Morais R, Bogerd J, Schulz R. Igf Binding Proteins Protect Undifferentiated Spermatogonia in the Zebrafish Testis Against Excessive Differentiation. Endocrinology. 2016;157:4423-4433 pubmed
- Kamminga L, Luteijn M, den Broeder M, Redl S, Kaaij L, Roovers E, et al. Hen1 is required for oocyte development and piRNA stability in zebrafish. EMBO J. 2010;29:3688-700 pubmed publisher..This system discriminates between piRNA targets and is required for ovary development and fully efficient transposon silencing. ..
- Mo S, Song P, Lv D, Chen Y, Zhou W, Gong W, et al. Zebrafish z-otu, a novel Otu and Tudor domain-containing gene, is expressed in early stages of oogenesis and embryogenesis. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2005;1732:1-7 pubmed..Therefore, z-otu might link the ubiquitin signaling pathway to early oogenesis and maintaining the totipotency of embryonic cell. ..
- Chen S, Bogerd J, García López A, De Jonge H, de Waal P, Hong W, et al. Molecular cloning and functional characterization of a zebrafish nuclear progesterone receptor. Biol Reprod. 2010;82:171-81 pubmed publisher..but vice versa in young adults at 12 wk of age, and thus resembling the expression pattern of the germ cell marker piwil1; and, 3) was restricted to Leydig and Sertoli cells in adult testis...
- Potok M, Nix D, Parnell T, Cairns B. Reprogramming the maternal zebrafish genome after fertilization to match the paternal methylation pattern. Cell. 2013;153:759-72 pubmed publisher..Unexpectedly, the DNA of many oocyte genes important for germline functions (i.e., piwil1) or early development (i.e...
- Paksa A, Bandemer J, Hoeckendorf B, Razin N, Tarbashevich K, Minina S, et al. Repulsive cues combined with physical barriers and cell-cell adhesion determine progenitor cell positioning during organogenesis. Nat Commun. 2016;7:11288 pubmed publisher..The combination of these developmental and cellular mechanisms prevents organ fusion, controls organ positioning and is thus critical for its proper function. ..
- Siegfried K, NUSSLEIN VOLHARD C. Germ line control of female sex determination in zebrafish. Dev Biol. 2008;324:277-87 pubmed publisher..Additionally, we show that testis specification is sufficient for masculinization of the fish pointing to a direct role of hormone signaling from the gonad in directing sex differentiation of non-gonadal tissues. ..
- Wong T, Collodi P. Dorsomorphin promotes survival and germline competence of zebrafish spermatogonial stem cells in culture. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e71332 pubmed publisherZebrafish spermatogonial cell cultures were established from Tg(piwil1:neo);Tg(piwil1:DsRed) transgenic fish using a zebrafish ovarian feeder cell line (OFC3) that was engineered to express zebrafish Lif, Fgf2 and Gdnf...
- Basten S, Davis E, Gillis A, van Rooijen E, Stoop H, Babala N, et al. Mutations in LRRC50 predispose zebrafish and humans to seminomas. PLoS Genet. 2013;9:e1003384 pubmed publisher..Together, our study introduces an animal model for seminoma and suggests LRRC50 to be a novel tumor suppressor implicated in human seminoma pathogenesis. ..
- Strasser M, Mackenzie N, Dumstrei K, Nakkrasae L, Stebler J, Raz E. Control over the morphology and segregation of Zebrafish germ cell granules during embryonic development. BMC Dev Biol. 2008;8:58 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that Zebrafish germ cell granules undergo a transformation process, which involves germ cell specific proteins as well as the microtubular network. ..
- Baudiffier D, Hinfray N, Ravaud C, Creusot N, Chadili E, Porcher J, et al. Effect of in vivo chronic exposure to clotrimazole on zebrafish testis function. Environ Sci Pollut Res Int. 2013;20:2747-60 pubmed publisher..but we observed an increase in the number of type A spermatogonia, in agreement with an increase in mRNA levels of piwil1, a specific molecular marker of type A spermatogonia...
- Tong S, Hsu H, Chung B. Zebrafish monosex population reveals female dominance in sex determination and earliest events of gonad differentiation. Dev Biol. 2010;344:849-56 pubmed publisher..Our genetic selection scheme matches the prediction that female-dominant genetic factors are required to determine zebrafish sex...
- Nobrega R, Greebe C, van de Kant H, Bogerd J, de França L, Schulz R. Spermatogonial stem cell niche and spermatogonial stem cell transplantation in zebrafish. PLoS ONE. 2010;5: pubmed publisher..This might be attributed to the testicular microenvironment created after busulfan depletion in the recipients, which may have caused an imbalance between factors regulating self-renewal or differentiation of the transplanted SSCs. ..
- Huang H, Houwing S, Kaaij L, Meppelink A, Redl S, Gauci S, et al. Tdrd1 acts as a molecular scaffold for Piwi proteins and piRNA targets in zebrafish. EMBO J. 2011;30:3298-308 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, we find that Tdrd1 binds both zebrafish Piwi proteins, Ziwi and Zili, and reveals sequence specificity in the interaction between Tdrd1 tudor domains and symmetrically ..
- Li X, Guo J, Li X, Zhou H, Zhang S, Liu X, et al. Behavioural effect of low-dose BPA on male zebrafish: Tuning of male mating competition and female mating preference during courtship process. Chemosphere. 2017;169:40-52 pubmed publisher..In sum, our results shed light on the potential behavioural and physiological effect of low-dose BPA exposure on courtship behaviours of zebrafish, which could exert profound consequences on natural zebrafish populations. ..
- Zhao H, Duan J, Cheng N, Nagahama Y. Specific expression of Olpiwi1 and Olpiwi2 in medaka (Oryzias latipes) germ cells. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2012;418:592-7 pubmed publisher..Olpiwi1 is similar to Ziwi in zebrafish or Miwi in the mouse, and Olpiwi2 is similar to Zili in zebrafish or Mili in the mouse...
- Assis L, Crespo D, Morais R, FranÃ§a L, Bogerd J, Schulz R. INSL3 stimulates spermatogonial differentiation in testis of adult zebrafish (Danio rerio). Cell Tissue Res. 2016;363:579-88 pubmed publisher..Thus, hINSL3 seems to recruit Aund spermatogonia into differentiation, potentially mediating an Fsh effect on spermatogenesis. ..
- Webster K, Schach U, Ordaz A, Steinfeld J, Draper B, Siegfried K. Dmrt1 is necessary for male sexual development in zebrafish. Dev Biol. 2017;422:33-46 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, the strong sex-ratio bias caused by dmrt1 reduction-of-function points to potential mechanisms through which sex chromosomes may evolve. ..
- Morais R, Nóbrega R, Gómez González N, Schmidt R, Bogerd J, França L, et al. Thyroid hormone stimulates the proliferation of Sertoli cells and single type A spermatogonia in adult zebrafish (Danio rerio) testis. Endocrinology. 2013;154:4365-76 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our studies suggest that T3 expands the population of SCs and A(und) involving Igf signaling and potentiates gonadotropin-stimulated testicular androgen production as well as androgen sensitivity. ..
- Jiang L, Zhang J, Wang J, Wang L, Zhang L, Li G, et al. Sperm, but not oocyte, DNA methylome is inherited by zebrafish early embryos. Cell. 2013;153:773-84 pubmed publisher..Moreover, inheritance of the sperm methylome facilitates the epigenetic regulation of embryogenesis. Therefore, besides DNA sequences, sperm DNA methylome is also inherited in zebrafish early embryos. ..