Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: pdx1
Description: pancreatic and duodenal homeobox 1
Alias: ipf1, pdx-1, zgc:100874, pancreas/duodenum homeobox protein 1, insulin promoter factor 1, homeodomain transcription factor, pancreatic and duodenal homeobox gene 1
- Yamauchi H, Miyakawa N, Miyake A, Itoh N. Fgf4 is required for left-right patterning of visceral organs in zebrafish. Dev Biol. 2009;332:177-85 pubmed publisher..The present findings indicate that Fgf4 plays a unique role in the LR patterning of visceral organs in zebrafish. ..
- KIMMEL R, Onder L, Wilfinger A, Ellertsdottir E, Meyer D. Requirement for Pdx1 in specification of latent endocrine progenitors in zebrafish. BMC Biol. 2011;9:75 pubmed publisher..Loss-of-function studies in mouse and zebrafish demonstrated that the homeobox transcription factors Pdx1 and Hb9 are both critical for pancreas and beta cell development and discrete stage-specific requirements for these ..
- Kim H, Schleiffarth J, Jessurun J, Sumanas S, Petryk A, Lin S, et al. Wnt5 signaling in vertebrate pancreas development. BMC Biol. 2005;3:23 pubmed..This study opens the door for further investigation into a role of Wnt signaling in vertebrate organ development and disease. ..
- Manfroid I, Ghaye A, Naye F, Detry N, Palm S, Pan L, et al. Zebrafish sox9b is crucial for hepatopancreatic duct development and pancreatic endocrine cell regeneration. Dev Biol. 2012;366:268-78 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, beta cell recovery after specific ablation is severely compromised in sox9b mutant larvae. Our data position sox9b as a key player in the generation of secondary endocrine cells deriving from pancreatic ducts in zebrafish...
- Jurczyk A, Roy N, Bajwa R, Gut P, Lipson K, Yang C, et al. Dynamic glucoregulation and mammalian-like responses to metabolic and developmental disruption in zebrafish. Gen Comp Endocrinol. 2011;170:334-45 pubmed publisher..To determine if the primary islet is glucoregulatory in early fish embryos, we injected pdx1-specific morpholinos into transgenic embryos expressing GFP in beta cells...
- Hesselson D, Anderson R, Beinat M, Stainier D. Distinct populations of quiescent and proliferative pancreatic beta-cells identified by HOTcre mediated labeling. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2009;106:14896-901 pubmed publisher..g., diabetes mellitus). Our data reveal the existence of distinct populations of beta-cells in vivo and should help develop better strategies to regulate beta-cell differentiation and proliferation. ..
- Manfroid I, Delporte F, Baudhuin A, Motte P, Neumann C, Voz M, et al. Reciprocal endoderm-mesoderm interactions mediated by fgf24 and fgf10 govern pancreas development. Development. 2007;134:4011-21 pubmed
- Chen J, Ruan H, Ng S, Gao C, Soo H, Wu W, et al. Loss of function of def selectively up-regulates Delta113p53 expression to arrest expansion growth of digestive organs in zebrafish. Genes Dev. 2005;19:2900-11 pubmed
- Chung W, Shin C, Stainier D. Bmp2 signaling regulates the hepatic versus pancreatic fate decision. Dev Cell. 2008;15:738-48 pubmed publisher..These data provide in vivo evidence for the existence of bipotential hepatopancreatic progenitors and indicate that their fate is regulated by the medio-lateral patterning of the endodermal sheet, a process controlled by Bmp2b. ..
- Dong P, Munson C, Norton W, Crosnier C, Pan X, Gong Z, et al. Fgf10 regulates hepatopancreatic ductal system patterning and differentiation. Nat Genet. 2007;39:397-402 pubmed..These data shed light onto how the multipotent cells of the foregut endoderm, and subsequently those of the hepatopancreatic duct, are directed toward different organ fates. ..
- Zecchin E, Filippi A, Biemar F, Tiso N, Pauls S, Ellertsdottir E, et al. Distinct delta and jagged genes control sequential segregation of pancreatic cell types from precursor pools in zebrafish. Dev Biol. 2007;301:192-204 pubmed
- Wendik B, Maier E, Meyer D. Zebrafish mnx genes in endocrine and exocrine pancreas formation. Dev Biol. 2004;268:372-83 pubmed..In contrast, mnr2a is required during late morphogenesis of the exocrine pancreas. In summary, our data suggest a tissue-specific mnx-expression code in the zebrafish pancreas and they reveal a novel role of an mnr2-related gene. ..
- Yee N, Yusuff S, Pack M. Zebrafish pdx1 morphant displays defects in pancreas development and digestive organ chirality, and potentially identifies a multipotent pancreas progenitor cell. Genesis. 2001;30:137-40 pubmed
- Huang H, Vogel S, Liu N, Melton D, Lin S. Analysis of pancreatic development in living transgenic zebrafish embryos. Mol Cell Endocrinol. 2001;177:117-24 pubmed..These transgenic fish should be useful for in vivo studies of factors involved in specifying and regulating pancreatic development and function. ..
- Tehrani Z, Lin S. Antagonistic interactions of hedgehog, Bmp and retinoic acid signals control zebrafish endocrine pancreas development. Development. 2011;138:631-40 pubmed publisher..We found that Hh is required at the start of gastrulation for the medial migration and differentiation of pdx1-expressing pancreatic progenitors at later stages...
- Binot A, Manfroid I, Flasse L, Winandy M, Motte P, Martial J, et al. Nkx6.1 and nkx6.2 regulate alpha- and beta-cell formation in zebrafish by acting on pancreatic endocrine progenitor cells. Dev Biol. 2010;340:397-407 pubmed publisher..On the basis of our data, we propose a model in which nkx6.1 and nkx6.2, by allowing the establishment of the endocrine progenitor pool, control alpha- and beta-cell differentiation. ..
- Lin J, Biankin A, Horb M, Ghosh B, Prasad N, Yee N, et al. Differential requirement for ptf1a in endocrine and exocrine lineages of developing zebrafish pancreas. Dev Biol. 2004;270:474-86 pubmed..Together, these findings suggest the presence of distinct ptf1a-dependent and ptf1a-independent precursor populations in developing zebrafish pancreas. ..
- Field H, Dong P, Beis D, Stainier D. Formation of the digestive system in zebrafish. II. Pancreas morphogenesis. Dev Biol. 2003;261:197-208 pubmed
- Moss J, Koustubhan P, Greenman M, Parsons M, Walter I, Moss L. Regeneration of the pancreas in adult zebrafish. Diabetes. 2009;58:1844-51 pubmed publisher..in vehicles, ablation caused islet destruction and a striking increase of proliferating cells, some of which were Pdx1 positive...
- Nakano Y, Kim H, Kawakami A, Roy S, Schier A, Ingham P. Inactivation of dispatched 1 by the chameleon mutation disrupts Hedgehog signalling in the zebrafish embryo. Dev Biol. 2004;269:381-92 pubmed
- Zhang T, Zhou X, Ma X, Liu J. Mechanisms of cadmium-caused eye hypoplasia and hypopigmentation in zebrafish embryos. Aquat Toxicol. 2015;167:68-76 pubmed publisher..Moreover, we found that compounds BIO or RA could neutralize the toxic effects of Cd. ..
- Lorent K, Yeo S, Oda T, Chandrasekharappa S, Chitnis A, Matthews R, et al. Inhibition of Jagged-mediated Notch signaling disrupts zebrafish biliary development and generates multi-organ defects compatible with an Alagille syndrome phenocopy. Development. 2004;131:5753-66 pubmed..These data confirm an evolutionarily conserved role for Notch signaling in vertebrate liver development, and support the zebrafish as a model system for diseases of the human biliary system...
- Dong P, Provost E, Leach S, Stainier D. Graded levels of Ptf1a differentially regulate endocrine and exocrine fates in the developing pancreas. Genes Dev. 2008;22:1445-50 pubmed publisher..We propose that low levels of Ptf1a promote endocrine fate, whereas high levels repress endocrine fate and promote exocrine fate. ..
- Flasse L, Pirson J, Stern D, Von Berg V, Manfroid I, Peers B, et al. Ascl1b and Neurod1, instead of Neurog3, control pancreatic endocrine cell fate in zebrafish. BMC Biol. 2013;11:78 pubmed publisher..It is repressed by Notch signaling that prevents pancreatic cell differentiation by maintaining precursors in an undifferentiated state...
- Ellertsdottir E, Ganz J, Durr K, Loges N, Biemar F, Seifert F, et al. A mutation in the zebrafish Na,K-ATPase subunit atp1a1a.1 provides genetic evidence that the sodium potassium pump contributes to left-right asymmetry downstream or in parallel to nodal flow. Dev Dyn. 2006;235:1794-808 pubmed..Therefore, the Na,K-ATPase is required downstream or in parallel to monocilia function during initiation of left-right asymmetry in zebrafish. ..
- Kinkel M, Eames S, Alonzo M, Prince V. Cdx4 is required in the endoderm to localize the pancreas and limit beta-cell number. Development. 2008;135:919-29 pubmed publisher..In support of this, we demonstrate that in cdx4-deficient embryos treated with RA, ectopic beta-cells are located well posterior to the normal pancreatic domain. ..
- Lancman J, Zvenigorodsky N, Gates K, Zhang D, Solomon K, Humphrey R, et al. Specification of hepatopancreas progenitors in zebrafish by hnf1ba and wnt2bb. Development. 2013;140:2669-79 pubmed publisher..Collectively, our findings provide a new model for HNF1B function, yield insight into pancreas and ?-cell development, and suggest a new mechanism for hepatopancreatic specification...
- Uribe R, Bronner M. Meis3 is required for neural crest invasion of the gut during zebrafish enteric nervous system development. Mol Biol Cell. 2015;26:3728-40 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these findings support a model in which Meis3 is required for neural crest proliferation, migration into, and colonization of the gut such that its loss leads to severe defects in enteric nervous system development. ..
- Chen J, van Bebber F, Goldstein A, Serluca F, Jackson D, Childs S, et al. Genetic steps to organ laterality in zebrafish. Comp Funct Genomics. 2001;2:60-8 pubmed publisher..That laterality decisions of organs may be independently perturbed, as in the Class 3 mutation, indicates that there are distinctive pathways for reception and organotypic interpretation of the global signals. ..
- Amigo J, Ackermann G, Cope J, Yu M, Cooney J, Ma D, et al. The role and regulation of friend of GATA-1 (FOG-1) during blood development in the zebrafish. Blood. 2009;114:4654-63 pubmed publisher..One of these enhancers contains functional GATA-binding sites, indicating the potential for a regulatory loop in which GATA factors control the expression of their partner protein FOG-1. ..
- Nissim S, Weeks O, Talbot J, Hedgepeth J, Wucherpfennig J, Schatzman Bone S, et al. Iterative use of nuclear receptor Nr5a2 regulates multiple stages of liver and pancreas development. Dev Biol. 2016;418:108-123 pubmed publisher..Loss of nr5a2 abrogated exocrine pancreas markers such as trypsin, while pancreas progenitors marked by ptf1a or pdx1 remained unaffected, suggesting a role for Nr5a2 in regulating pancreatic acinar cell differentiation...
- Dash S, Hakonen E, Ustinov J, Otonkoski T, Andersson O, Lehtonen S. sept7b is required for the differentiation of pancreatic endocrine progenitors. Sci Rep. 2016;6:24992 pubmed publisher..Collectively, this study provides a novel insight into the development of pancreatic endocrine progenitors, revealing an essential role for sept7b in endocrine progenitor differentiation. ..
- Qin W, Chen Z, Zhang Y, Yan R, Yan G, Li S, et al. Nom1 mediates pancreas development by regulating ribosome biogenesis in zebrafish. PLoS ONE. 2014;9:e100796 pubmed publisher..This suggests that targeting Pp1? into the nucleolus by Nom1 is important for pancreatic proliferation. Altogether, our studies revealed a new mechanism involving Nom1 in controlling vertebrate exocrine pancreas formation. ..
- Mastracci T, Robertson M, Mirmira R, Anderson R. Polyamine biosynthesis is critical for growth and differentiation of the pancreas. Sci Rep. 2015;5:13269 pubmed publisher..Altogether, we have uncovered a role for polyamine biosynthesis in pancreatic organogenesis and identified that it may be possible to exploit polyamine biosynthesis to manipulate pancreatic cell differentiation. ..
- Wilfinger A, Arkhipova V, Meyer D. Cell type and tissue specific function of islet genes in zebrafish pancreas development. Dev Biol. 2013;378:25-37 pubmed publisher..Overall, our data reveal a novel interaction of isl1 and isl2 genes in exocrine pancreas expansion and cell type specific requirements during endocrine cell maturation...
- Bolli N, Payne E, Rhodes J, Gjini E, Johnston A, Guo F, et al. cpsf1 is required for definitive HSC survival in zebrafish. Blood. 2011;117:3996-4007 pubmed publisher..These studies show that cpsf1 is essential for HSC survival and differentiation in caudal hematopoietic tissue. ..
- Jörgens K, Stoll S, Pohl J, Fleming T, Sticht C, Nawroth P, et al. High tissue glucose alters intersomitic blood vessels in zebrafish via methylglyoxal targeting the VEGF receptor signaling cascade. Diabetes. 2015;64:213-25 pubmed publisher..Taken together, MG acts on smaller blood vessels in zebrafish via the VEGF receptor signaling cascade, thereby describing a new mechanism that can explain vascular complications under hyperglycemia and elevated MG concentrations. ..
- Cheng P, Lin C, Wu C, Lu Y, Lin C, Chung C, et al. Zebrafish cdx1b regulates expression of downstream factors of Nodal signaling during early endoderm formation. Development. 2008;135:941-52 pubmed publisher..This study underscores a novel role of zebrafish cdx1b in the development of different digestive organs compared with its mammalian homologs. ..
- KIMMEL R, Dobler S, Schmitner N, Walsen T, Freudenblum J, Meyer D. Diabetic pdx1-mutant zebrafish show conserved responses to nutrient overload and anti-glycemic treatment. Sci Rep. 2015;5:14241 pubmed publisher..In this work, we characterize pancreatic islet development and function in zebrafish mutant for pdx1, a gene which in humans is linked to genetic forms of diabetes and is associated with increased susceptibility to ..
- Yamazoe S, McQuade L, Chen J. Nitroreductase-activatable morpholino oligonucleotides for in vivo gene silencing. ACS Chem Biol. 2014;9:1985-90 pubmed publisher..In combination with transgenic organisms, such enzyme-actuated antisense tools will enable gene silencing in specific cell types, including tissues that are not amenable to optical targeting. ..
- MarÃn Juez R, Rovira M, Crespo D, van der Vaart M, Spaink H, Planas J. GLUT2-mediated glucose uptake and availability are required for embryonic brain development in zebrafish. J Cereb Blood Flow Metab. 2015;35:74-85 pubmed publisher..These results indicate that glut2 has an essential role during brain development by facilitating the uptake and availability of glucose and support the involvement of glut2 in brain glucose sensing. ..
- Gao W, Xu L, Guan R, Liu X, Han Y, Wu Q, et al. Wdr18 is required for Kupffer's vesicle formation and regulation of body asymmetry in zebrafish. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e23386 pubmed publisher..Thus, we reveal a new and essential role for WD-repeat proteins in the determination and regulation of L-R asymmetry and propose a potential mechanism for wdr18 in the regulation of DFC clustering and migration and KV formation. ..
- Venkatasubramani N, Mayer A. A zebrafish model for the Shwachman-Diamond syndrome (SDS). Pediatr Res. 2008;63:348-52 pubmed publisher..These data provide novel insight into the role of the sbds gene and support using zebrafish as a model system to study sbds gene function and for evaluation of novel therapies. ..
- Timme Laragy A, Sant K, Rousseau M, diIorio P. Deviant development of pancreatic beta cells from embryonic exposure to PCB-126 in zebrafish. Comp Biochem Physiol C Toxicol Pharmacol. 2015;178:25-32 pubmed publisher..We measured gene expression of preproinsulin a, somatostatin2, pdx1, ghrelin, and glucagon...
- Anderson K, Singer R, Balderes D, Hernandez Lagunas L, Johnson C, Artinger K, et al. The L6 domain tetraspanin Tm4sf4 regulates endocrine pancreas differentiation and directed cell migration. Development. 2011;138:3213-24 pubmed publisher..Identification of a role for Tm4sf4 during endocrine differentiation provides insight into islet progenitor cell behaviors and potential targetable regenerative mechanisms. ..
- Cebola I, RodrÃguez SeguÃ S, Cho C, Bessa J, Rovira M, Luengo M, et al. TEAD and YAP regulate the enhancer network of human embryonic pancreatic progenitors. Nat Cell Biol. 2015;17:615-626 pubmed publisher..This work therefore uncovers a central role for TEAD and YAP as signal-responsive regulators of multipotent pancreatic progenitors, and provides a resource for the study of embryonic development of the human pancreas. ..
- Ye L, Robertson M, Mastracci T, Anderson R. An insulin signaling feedback loop regulates pancreas progenitor cell differentiation during islet development and regeneration. Dev Biol. 2016;409:354-69 pubmed publisher..signaling in the pancreatic progenitors hastened the expression of the essential Î² cell genes insulin and pdx1, and promoted Î² cell fate at the expense of alpha cell fate...
- Beaver L, Nkrumah Elie Y, Truong L, Barton C, Knecht A, Gonnerman G, et al. Adverse effects of parental zinc deficiency on metal homeostasis and embryonic development in a zebrafish model. J Nutr Biochem. 2017;43:78-87 pubmed publisher..with decreased expression of genes related to diabetes and pancreatic development in the embryo (Insa, Pax4, Pdx1)...
- Lu H, Ma J, Yang Y, Shi W, Luo L. EpCAM is an endoderm-specific Wnt derepressor that licenses hepatic development. Dev Cell. 2013;24:543-53 pubmed publisher..Our results identify EpCAM as the key molecule and its functional mechanism to confer endodermal cells the competence to respond to the liver-inductive Wnt2bb signal. ..
- Zecchin E, Conigliaro A, Tiso N, Argenton F, Bortolussi M. Expression analysis of jagged genes in zebrafish embryos. Dev Dyn. 2005;233:638-45 pubmed..The similarities of the expression patterns of jagged and delta genes in zebrafish suggest that the Jagged and Delta ligands are functionally redundant or required in specific combinations in many differentiation processes. ..
- Oishi I, Kawakami Y, Raya A, Callol Massot C, Izpisua Belmonte J. Regulation of primary cilia formation and left-right patterning in zebrafish by a noncanonical Wnt signaling mediator, duboraya. Nat Genet. 2006;38:1316-22 pubmed
- diIorio P, Alexa K, Choe S, Etheridge L, SAGERSTROM C. TALE-family homeodomain proteins regulate endodermal sonic hedgehog expression and pattern the anterior endoderm. Dev Biol. 2007;304:221-31 pubmed..Our data indicate that meis3 and pbx4 regulate shh expression in anterior endoderm, thereby influencing patterning and growth of the foregut. ..
- Xu J, Cui J, del Campo A, Shin C. Four and a Half LIM Domains 1b (Fhl1b) Is Essential for Regulating the Liver versus Pancreas Fate Decision and for Î²-Cell Regeneration. PLoS Genet. 2016;12:e1005831 pubmed publisher..and intestinal cells, contributed to the liver by directly or indirectly modulating the discrete levels of pdx1 expression in endodermal progenitors...
- Matsui T, Raya A, Kawakami Y, Callol Massot C, Capdevila J, Rodriguez Esteban C, et al. Noncanonical Wnt signaling regulates midline convergence of organ primordia during zebrafish development. Genes Dev. 2005;19:164-75 pubmed..Overall, our results uncover a late, previously unexpected role of noncanonical Wnt signaling in the control of midline assembly of organ precursors during vertebrate embryo development. ..
- Rovira M, Huang W, Yusuff S, Shim J, FERRANTE A, Liu J, et al. Chemical screen identifies FDA-approved drugs and target pathways that induce precocious pancreatic endocrine differentiation. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2011;108:19264-9 pubmed publisher..Using pharmacological approaches, we have identified and characterized two unique pathways in ?-cell differentiation in the zebrafish, including down-regulation of GTP production and retinoic acid biosynthesis. ..
- Stetsyuk V, Peers B, Mavropoulos A, Verbruggen V, Thisse B, Thisse C, et al. Calsenilin is required for endocrine pancreas development in zebrafish. Dev Dyn. 2007;236:1517-25 pubmed..Taken together, our results show that zebrafish calsenilin is involved in endocrine cell differentiation and morphogenesis within the pancreas. ..
- Chen S, Huang J, Yuan G. siRNA specific to Pdx-1 disturbed the formation of the islet in early zebrafish embryos. J Huazhong Univ Sci Technolog Med Sci. 2007;27:639-42 pubmed publisher..Pdx-1 played multiple roles in maintaining the phenotype of the islet during embryogenesis in zebrafish. ..
- Teoh P, Shu Chien A, Chan W. Pbx1 is essential for growth of zebrafish swim bladder. Dev Dyn. 2010;239:865-74 pubmed publisher..However, the expression of anxa5 was completely abolished by pbx1 knockdown at 60 hpf suggesting that pbx1 may be required during the late stage of swim bladder development...
- Chai C, Chan W. Developmental expression of a novel Ftz-F1 homologue, ff1b (NR5A4), in the zebrafish Danio rerio. Mech Dev. 2000;91:421-6 pubmed..p.f.). Later, at 30 h.p.f., transcripts could be detected in the anterior regions of the pancreatic anlagen. Expression in both locations peaks at 36 h.p.f. and disappears at around 48 h.p.f. ..
- Goessling W, North T, Lord A, Ceol C, Lee S, Weidinger G, et al. APC mutant zebrafish uncover a changing temporal requirement for wnt signaling in liver development. Dev Biol. 2008;320:161-74 pubmed publisher..These studies reveal an important and time-dependent role for wnt signaling during liver development and regeneration. ..
- Alexa K, Choe S, Hirsch N, Etheridge L, Laver E, SAGERSTROM C. Maternal and zygotic aldh1a2 activity is required for pancreas development in zebrafish. PLoS ONE. 2009;4:e8261 pubmed publisher..endodermal gene expression is less affected in the mutant, with varying degrees of residual expression observed for pdx1, carbA, hhex, prox1, sid4, transferrin and ifabp...