Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: pcna
Description: proliferating cell nuclear antigen
Alias: cb16, fa28e03, fb36g03, wu:fa28e03, wu:fb36g03, proliferating cell nuclear antigen, etID36690.10
- Fimbel S, Montgomery J, Burket C, Hyde D. Regeneration of inner retinal neurons after intravitreal injection of ouabain in zebrafish. J Neurosci. 2007;27:1712-24 pubmed..The regeneration response began within 1 dpi with increased proliferating cell nuclear antigen (PCNA) expression in both the INL and GCL...
- Mahler J, Driever W. Expression of the zebrafish intermediate neurofilament Nestin in the developing nervous system and in neural proliferation zones at postembryonic stages. BMC Dev Biol. 2007;7:89 pubmed..nestin expressing cells of the forebrain also express PCNA during late embryogenesis, identifying them as proliferating precursor or neural stem cells...
- Chen H, Yuh C, Wu K. Nestin is essential for zebrafish brain and eye development through control of progenitor cell apoptosis. PLoS ONE. 2010;5:e9318 pubmed publisher..we analyzed apoptosis by TUNEL assay and acridine orange staining and proliferation by BrdU incorporation, pcna and mcm5 expressions. Excessive apoptosis was noted in hindbrain and midbrain cells...
- Rai K, Chidester S, Zavala C, Manos E, James S, Karpf A, et al. Dnmt2 functions in the cytoplasm to promote liver, brain, and retina development in zebrafish. Genes Dev. 2007;21:261-6 pubmed..Furthermore, zebrafish Dnmt2 methylates an RNA species of approximately 80 bases, consistent with tRNA methylation. Thus, Dnmt2 promotes zebrafish development, likely through cytoplasmic RNA methylation. ..
- Pellegrini E, Mouriec K, Anglade I, Menuet A, Le Page Y, Gueguen M, et al. Identification of aromatase-positive radial glial cells as progenitor cells in the ventricular layer of the forebrain in zebrafish. J Comp Neurol. 2007;501:150-67 pubmed..Such newborn cells can further divide, as shown by BrdU-proliferating cell nuclear antigen double staining...
- Rink E, Wullimann M. Development of the catecholaminergic system in the early zebrafish brain: an immunohistochemical study. Brain Res Dev Brain Res. 2002;137:89-100 pubmed..Additionally, double-immunolabel preparations for visualizing TH cells and cells containing the proliferating cell nuclear antigen (PCNA cells) were carried out allowing for a prosomeric interpretation of early forebrain TH cell ..
- Powell C, Elsaeidi F, Goldman D. Injury-dependent Müller glia and ganglion cell reprogramming during tissue regeneration requires Apobec2a and Apobec2b. J Neurosci. 2012;32:1096-109 pubmed publisher..These data identify an essential role for Apobec proteins during retina and optic nerve regeneration and suggest DNA demethylation may underlie the reprogramming of cells to mount a regenerative response. ..
- Yang C, Hindes A, Hultman K, Johnson S. Mutations in gfpt1 and skiv2l2 cause distinct stage-specific defects in larval melanocyte regeneration in zebrafish. PLoS Genet. 2007;3:e88 pubmed
- Wang F, Chen X, Shi W, Yao L, Gao M, Yang Y, et al. Zdhhc15b Regulates Differentiation of Diencephalic Dopaminergic Neurons in zebrafish. J Cell Biochem. 2015;116:2980-91 pubmed publisher..Our results reveal that zdhhc15b controls DA neuronal fate decisions by regulating differentiation but not progenitor cell proliferation or DA neuronal survival. ..
- Muncan V, Faro A, Haramis A, Hurlstone A, Wienholds E, van Es J, et al. T-cell factor 4 (Tcf7l2) maintains proliferative compartments in zebrafish intestine. EMBO Rep. 2007;8:966-73 pubmed..This study underscores the involvement of Tcf4 in maintaining proliferative self-renewal in the intestine throughout life. ..
- Rawls J, Mahowald M, Ley R, Gordon J. Reciprocal gut microbiota transplants from zebrafish and mice to germ-free recipients reveal host habitat selection. Cell. 2006;127:423-33 pubmed
- Nagashima M, Barthel L, Raymond P. A self-renewing division of zebrafish Müller glial cells generates neuronal progenitors that require N-cadherin to regenerate retinal neurons. Development. 2013;140:4510-21 pubmed publisher..Genetic suppression of N-cadherin function interferes with basal migration of retinal progenitors and subsequent regeneration of HuC/D(+) inner retinal neurons. ..
- Ortiz Zarragoitia M, Cajaraville M. Effects of selected xenoestrogens on liver peroxisomes, vitellogenin levels and spermatogenic cell proliferation in male zebrafish. Comp Biochem Physiol C Toxicol Pharmacol. 2005;141:133-44 pubmed..No such association occurred with typical peroxisome proliferators such as DBP. ..
- Schorpp M, Bialecki M, Diekhoff D, Walderich B, Odenthal J, Maischein H, et al. Conserved functions of Ikaros in vertebrate lymphocyte development: genetic evidence for distinct larval and adult phases of T cell development and two lineages of B cells in zebrafish. J Immunol. 2006;177:2463-76 pubmed..By contrast, B cells expressing the igz isotype do not develop, providing genetic evidence for two separate B cell lineages in zebrafish. Thus, Ikaros appears to play similar roles in fish and mammalian lymphopoiesis. ..
- Ko S, Choi T, Russell J, So J, Monga S, Shin D. Bromodomain and extraterminal (BET) proteins regulate biliary-driven liver regeneration. J Hepatol. 2016;64:316-325 pubmed publisher..BET proteins regulate BEC-driven liver regeneration at multiple steps: BEC dedifferentiation, HB-LC proliferation, the proliferation of newly generated hepatocytes, and hepatocyte maturation. ..
- Paridaen J, Danesin C, Elas A, van de Water S, Houart C, Zivkovic D. Apc1 is required for maintenance of local brain organizers and dorsal midbrain survival. Dev Biol. 2009;331:101-12 pubmed publisher..These data demonstrate that Apc1-mediated restriction of Wnt/beta-catenin signalling is required for maintenance of local organizers and tectal integrity. ..
- Sadler K, Krahn K, Gaur N, Ukomadu C. Liver growth in the embryo and during liver regeneration in zebrafish requires the cell cycle regulator, uhrf1. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2007;104:1570-5 pubmed..This indicates that uhrf1 is required for physiologic liver growth in both embryos and adults and illustrates that zebrafish livers regenerate. ..
- Crosnier C, Vargesson N, Gschmeissner S, Ariza McNaughton L, Morrison A, Lewis J. Delta-Notch signalling controls commitment to a secretory fate in the zebrafish intestine. Development. 2005;132:1093-104 pubmed..These findings demonstrate the central role of Notch signalling in the gut stem-cell system and establish the zebrafish as a model for study of the mechanisms controlling renewal of gut epithelium. ..
- Yeh C, Kao S, Cheng Y, Hsu L. Knockdown of cyclin-dependent kinase 10 (cdk10) gene impairs neural progenitor survival via modulation of raf1a gene expression. J Biol Chem. 2013;288:27927-39 pubmed publisher..Our findings provide the first functional characterization of cdk10 in vertebrate development and reveal its critical function in neurogenesis by modulation of raf1a expression. ..
- Petrie T, Strand N, Yang C, Tsung Yang C, Rabinowitz J, Moon R. Macrophages modulate adult zebrafish tail fin regeneration. Development. 2014;141:2581-91 pubmed publisher..These results provide a cellular and molecular link between components of the inflammation response and regeneration in adult zebrafish. ..
- Imai F, Yoshizawa A, Fujimori Tonou N, Kawakami K, Masai I. The ubiquitin proteasome system is required for cell proliferation of the lens epithelium and for differentiation of lens fiber cells in zebrafish. Development. 2010;137:3257-68 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that the ubiquitin proteasome system is required for cell proliferation of lens epithelium and for the differentiation of lens fiber cells in zebrafish. ..
- Thummel R, Ju M, Sarras M, Godwin A. Both Hoxc13 orthologs are functionally important for zebrafish tail fin regeneration. Dev Genes Evol. 2007;217:413-20 pubmed..Hence, similar to the demonstration of unique functions of multiple Hox genes during limb formation, both Hoxc13 orthologs have distinct functions in regeneration. ..
- Nasri A, Valverde A, Roche D, Desrumaux C, Clair P, Beyrem H, et al. Neurotoxicity of a Biopesticide Analog on Zebrafish Larvae at Nanomolar Concentrations. Int J Mol Sci. 2016;17: pubmed publisher..On the other hand, canonical targets of endocrine signaling are not affected, suggesting that the neurotoxic effect of A6 may be due to the binding of this compound to a recently identified, neuron-specific estrogen receptor. ..
- Manuel R, Gorissen M, Stokkermans M, Zethof J, Ebbesson L, van de Vis H, et al. The effects of environmental enrichment and age-related differences on inhibitory avoidance in zebrafish (Danio rerio Hamilton). Zebrafish. 2015;12:152-65 pubmed publisher..Following inhibitory avoidance, telencephalic mRNA levels of proliferating cell nuclear antigen (pcna), neurogenic differentiation (neurod), cocaine- and amphetamine-regulated transcript 4 (cart4),..
- Cheah F, Winkler C, Jabs E, Chong S. Tgfbeta3 regulation of chondrogenesis and osteogenesis in zebrafish is mediated through formation and survival of a subpopulation of the cranial neural crest. Mech Dev. 2010;127:329-44 pubmed publisher..Therefore, proper cranial neural crest formation and survival, and ultimately craniofacial chondrogenesis and osteogenesis, are dependent on tight regulation of Tgfbeta3 protein levels in zebrafish...
- Montgomery J, Parsons M, Hyde D. A novel model of retinal ablation demonstrates that the extent of rod cell death regulates the origin of the regenerated zebrafish rod photoreceptors. J Comp Neurol. 2010;518:800-14 pubmed publisher..Second, the rod cell death must be acute, rather than chronic, to stimulate regeneration from the Müller glia. This suggests that the zebrafish retina possesses mechanisms to quantify the amount and timing of rod cell death. ..
- Leal M, Cardoso E, Nóbrega R, Batlouni S, Bogerd J, Franca L, et al. Histological and stereological evaluation of zebrafish (Danio rerio) spermatogenesis with an emphasis on spermatogonial generations. Biol Reprod. 2009;81:177-87 pubmed publisher..Hence, the events taking place during puberty in the germinal epithelium of mammals seem to recapitulate the "life history" of each individual spermatogenic cyst in zebrafish. ..
- Carney S, Chen J, Burns C, Xiong K, Peterson R, Heideman W. Aryl hydrocarbon receptor activation produces heart-specific transcriptional and toxic responses in developing zebrafish. Mol Pharmacol. 2006;70:549-61 pubmed..More than 70% of the transcripts in this heart-specific cluster promote cellular growth and proliferation. Thus, the developing heart stands out as being responsive to TCDD at both the level of toxicity and gene expression. ..
- Oehlers S, Flores M, Hall C, Crosier K, Crosier P. Retinoic acid suppresses intestinal mucus production and exacerbates experimental enterocolitis. Dis Model Mech. 2012;5:457-67 pubmed publisher..This study illustrates a direct effect of retinoid administration on intestinal mucus physiology and, subsequently, on the progression of intestinal inflammation...
- Lu J, Tsai T, Choo S, Yeh S, Tang R, Yang A, et al. Induction of apoptosis and inhibition of cell growth by tbx5 knockdown contribute to dysmorphogenesis in Zebrafish embryos. J Biomed Sci. 2011;18:73 pubmed publisher..Apoptosis-related genes (bad, bax, and bcl2), and cell cycle-related genes (cdk2, pcna, p27, and p57) showed remarkable increases in transcriptional level by RT-PCR...
- Ko C, Tsai M, Tseng W, Cheng C, Huang C, Wu J, et al. Integration of CNS survival and differentiation by HIF2?. Cell Death Differ. 2011;18:1757-70 pubmed publisher..The reduction in elavl3/HuC expression and enhanced pcna, nestin, ascl1b and sox3 expression indicate that the surviving neural progenitor cells in hif2? morphants maintain ..
- Seiliez I, Médale F, Aguirre P, Larquier M, Lanneretonne L, Alami Durante H, et al. Postprandial regulation of growth- and metabolism-related factors in zebrafish. Zebrafish. 2013;10:237-48 pubmed publisher..Together, these results highlight some specificity of the zebrafish metabolism and demonstrate the interest and the limits of this species as a model organism for nutritional physiology studies. ..
- Liu N, Jiang H, Ben Shlomo A, Wawrowsky K, Fan X, Lin S, et al. Targeting zebrafish and murine pituitary corticotroph tumors with a cyclin-dependent kinase (CDK) inhibitor. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2011;108:8414-9 pubmed publisher..The results suggest that use of selective CDK inhibitors could effectively target corticotroph tumor growth and hormone secretion. ..
- Peyric E, Moore H, Whitmore D. Circadian clock regulation of the cell cycle in the zebrafish intestine. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e73209 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, this intestinal clock controls the expression of key cell cycle regulators, such as cdc2, wee1, p21, PCNA and cdk2, but only weakly influences cyclin B1, cyclin B2 and cyclin E1 expression...
- Linder B, Dill H, Hirmer A, Brocher J, Lee G, Mathavan S, et al. Systemic splicing factor deficiency causes tissue-specific defects: a zebrafish model for retinitis pigmentosa. Hum Mol Genet. 2011;20:368-77 pubmed publisher..Hence, various routes affecting the tri-snRNP can elicit tissue-specific gene expression defects and lead to the RP phenotype. ..
- Park H, Shin J, Roberts R, Appel B. An olig2 reporter gene marks oligodendrocyte precursors in the postembryonic spinal cord of zebrafish. Dev Dyn. 2007;236:3402-7 pubmed..olig2(+) radial glia have hallmarks of stem cells and their divisions appear to be asymmetric, producing new oligodendrocytes but not neurons or astrocytes. ..
- Lenkowski J, Qin Z, Sifuentes C, Thummel R, Soto C, Moens C, et al. Retinal regeneration in adult zebrafish requires regulation of TGF? signaling. Glia. 2013;61:1687-97 pubmed publisher..Tgif1 expression and regulation of TGF? signaling are implicated in the function of several types of stem cells, but this is the first demonstration that this regulatory network is necessary for regeneration of neurons. ..
- Cid E, Velasco A, Ciudad J, Orfao A, Aijón J, Lara J. Quantitative evaluation of the distribution of proliferating cells in the adult retina in three cyprinid species. Cell Tissue Res. 2002;308:47-59 pubmed..Evaluation of cell proliferation was performed in proliferating cell nuclear antigen (PCNA)-labeled tissue sections as well as in single-cell suspensions analyzed by flow cytometry...
- Felix L, Serafim C, Valentim A, Antunes L, Matos M, Coimbra A. Apoptosis-related genes induced in response to ketamine during early life stages of zebrafish. Toxicol Lett. 2017;279:1-8 pubmed publisher..Exposure at the 256-cell stage to ketamine induced an up-regulation of casp8 and pcna at 8 hpf while changes in pcna at the mRNA level were observed at 24 hpf...
- Sanden M, Jørgensen S, Hemre G, Ørnsrud R, Sissener N. Zebrafish (Danio rerio) as a model for investigating dietary toxic effects of deoxynivalenol contamination in aquaculture feeds. Food Chem Toxicol. 2012;50:4441-8 pubmed publisher..We do not know if effects observed on fecundity and larvae swimming activity are attributed to a direct interaction of DON with the reproductive organ or secondary to the maternal/paternal liver oxidative imbalance. ..
- Seger C, Hargrave M, Wang X, Chai R, Elworthy S, Ingham P. Analysis of Pax7 expressing myogenic cells in zebrafish muscle development, injury, and models of disease. Dev Dyn. 2011;240:2440-51 pubmed publisher..We also analyzed Pax7(+ve) cells in animals with dystrophic phenotypes and found an increased number compared with wild-type. ..
- Ito Y, Tanaka H, Okamoto H, Ohshima T. Characterization of neural stem cells and their progeny in the adult zebrafish optic tectum. Dev Biol. 2010;342:26-38 pubmed publisher..These regions are distinguished by the differential expression of several marker genes: pcna, sox2, msi1, elavl3, gfap, fabp7a, and s100beta...
- Mönnich M, Banks S, Eccles M, Dickinson E, Horsfield J. Expression of cohesin and condensin genes during zebrafish development supports a non-proliferative role for cohesin. Gene Expr Patterns. 2009;9:586-94 pubmed publisher..A comparison with pcna expression and BrdU incorporation revealed that the expression of cohesins and condensins closely overlap with ..
- Jacob V, Chernyavskaya Y, Chen X, Tan P, Kent B, Hoshida Y, et al. DNA hypomethylation induces a DNA replication-associated cell cycle arrest to block hepatic outgrowth in uhrf1 mutant zebrafish embryos. Development. 2015;142:510-21 pubmed publisher..We propose that cell cycle arrest leading to apoptosis is a strategy that restricts propagation of epigenetically damaged cells during embryogenesis. ..
- Leung A, Leung J, Chan L, Ma E, Kwan T, Lai K, et al. Proliferating cell nuclear antigen (PCNA) as a proliferative marker during embryonic and adult zebrafish hematopoiesis. Histochem Cell Biol. 2005;124:105-11 pubmedWe investigated the expression of proliferative cell nuclear antigen (PCNA) in zebrafish to delineate the proliferative hematopoietic component during adult and embryonic hematopoiesis...
- Chung H, Chang C, Young H, Hu S, Tzou W, Hu C. Ethanol inhibits retinal and CNS differentiation due to failure of cell cycle exit via an apoptosis-independent pathway. Neurotoxicol Teratol. 2013;38:92-103 pubmed publisher..Moreover, ethanol treatment enhanced BrdU incorporation, histone H3 phosphorylation, and pcna expression in neural progenitor cells, thereby maintaining a high rate of proliferation...
- Wincent E, Stegeman J, JÃ¶nsson M. Combination effects of AHR agonists and Wnt/Î²-catenin modulators in zebrafish embryos: Implications for physiological and toxicological AHR functions. Toxicol Appl Pharmacol. 2015;284:163-79 pubmed publisher..We propose that the AHR has a physiological role in regulating Î²-catenin during development, and that this is one point of intersection linking toxicological and physiological AHR-governed processes. ..
- Liu W, Wu M, Huang Z, Lian J, Chen J, Wang T, et al. c-myb hyperactivity leads to myeloid and lymphoid malignancies in zebrafish. Leukemia. 2017;31:222-233 pubmed publisher..Our study establishes a zebrafish model for studying the cellular and molecular mechanisms underlying c-Myb-associated leukemogenesis as well as for anti-leukemic drug screening. ..
- Craig S, Thummel R, Ahmed H, Vasta G, Hyde D, Hitchcock P. The zebrafish galectin Drgal1-l2 is expressed by proliferating Müller glia and photoreceptor progenitors and regulates the regeneration of rod photoreceptors. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2010;51:3244-52 pubmed publisher..Drgal1-L2 is the first secreted factor shown to regulate aspects of regenerative neurogenesis in the teleost retina. ..
- Phelps R, Chidester S, Dehghanizadeh S, Phelps J, Sandoval I, Rai K, et al. A two-step model for colon adenoma initiation and progression caused by APC loss. Cell. 2009;137:623-34 pubmed publisher..Consistent with this model, human FAP adenomas showed robust upregulation of CtBP1 in the absence of detectable nuclear beta-catenin, whereas nuclear beta-catenin was detected in carcinomas. ..
- van den Bos R, Mes W, Galligani P, Heil A, Zethof J, Flik G, et al. Further characterisation of differences between TL and AB zebrafish (Danio rerio): Gene expression, physiology and behaviour at day 5 of the larval stage. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0175420 pubmed publisher..These results emphasise that differences between strains need to be taken into account to enhance reproducibility both within, and between, laboratories. ..
- van den Bos R, Zethof J, Flik G, Gorissen M. Light regimes differentially affect baseline transcript abundance of stress-axis and (neuro)development-related genes in zebrafish (Danio rerio, Hamilton 1822) AB and TL larvae. Biol Open. 2017;6:1692-1697 pubmed publisher..The latter finding adds to the growing database of phenotypical differences between zebrafish of the AB and TL strain...
- Zhang L, Li Y, Chen T, Xia W, Zhou Y, Wan Y, et al. Abnormal development of motor neurons in perfluorooctane sulphonate exposed zebrafish embryos. Ecotoxicology. 2011;20:643-52 pubmed publisher..0 mg/L PFOS, then we examined the expression of alpha-tubulin, proliferating cell nuclear antigen (PCNA), cyclin-dependent kinase 5 (CDK5), and peroxiredoxin 2 (PRX2) after PFOS exposure until 120 ..
- Gribble S, Kim H, Bonner J, Wang X, Dorsky R. Tcf3 inhibits spinal cord neurogenesis by regulating sox4a expression. Development. 2009;136:781-9 pubmed publisher..Both of these functions are mediated by Tcf3 independently of canonical Wnt signaling. Together, our data indicate a novel mechanism for the regulation of neurogenesis by Tcf3-mediated repression. ..
- Yurco P, Cameron D. Cellular correlates of proneural and Notch-delta gene expression in the regenerating zebrafish retina. Vis Neurosci. 2007;24:437-43 pubmed..A model of vertebrate retinal repair is suggested in which damage-induced expression of proneural genes, plus canonical Notch-Delta signaling, could contribute to retinal stem cell promotion and subsequent regenerative neurogenesis. ..
- Kenyon E, Luijten M, Gill H, Li N, Rawlings M, Bull J, et al. Expression and knockdown of zebrafish folliculin suggests requirement for embryonic brain morphogenesis. BMC Dev Biol. 2016;16:23 pubmed publisher..We demonstrate the utilisation of the zFucci system in testing the role of flcn in cell proliferation and suggest a function for flcn in regulating cell proliferation in vertebrate embryonic brain development. ..
- Kassen S, Thummel R, Burket C, Campochiaro L, Harding M, Hyde D. The Tg(ccnb1:EGFP) transgenic zebrafish line labels proliferating cells during retinal development and regeneration. Mol Vis. 2008;14:951-63 pubmed..At 36 h post-fertilization, both the enhanced green fluorescent protein (EGFP) and proliferating cell nuclear antigen (PCNA) expressions were observed throughout the developing transgenic retina, but they became ..
- Moss J, Koustubhan P, Greenman M, Parsons M, Walter I, Moss L. Regeneration of the pancreas in adult zebrafish. Diabetes. 2009;58:1844-51 pubmed publisher..Further study of the origin and contribution of proliferating cells in reestablishing islet function could provide strategies for treating human diseases. ..
- Behrendt L, Jönsson M, Goldstone J, Stegeman J. Induction of cytochrome P450 1 genes and stress response genes in developing zebrafish exposed to ultraviolet radiation. Aquat Toxicol. 2010;98:74-82 pubmed publisher..UVA alone had no effect on CYP1A expression. Proliferating cellular nuclear antigen (PCNA) and Cu-Zn superoxide dismutase (SOD1) transcript levels were induced (2.1+/-0.2 and 2.3+/-0...
- Mueller T, Vernier P, Wullimann M. A phylotypic stage in vertebrate brain development: GABA cell patterns in zebrafish compared with mouse. J Comp Neurol. 2006;494:620-34 pubmed
- Rai K, Jafri I, Chidester S, James S, Karpf A, Cairns B, et al. Dnmt3 and G9a cooperate for tissue-specific development in zebrafish. J Biol Chem. 2010;285:4110-21 pubmed publisher..We propose a model wherein specific DNMT-histone methyltransferase networks are utilized to silence critical regulators of cell fate in a tissue-specific manner. ..
- Hu Z, Holzschuh J, Driever W. Loss of DDB1 Leads to Transcriptional p53 Pathway Activation in Proliferating Cells, Cell Cycle Deregulation, and Apoptosis in Zebrafish Embryos. PLoS ONE. 2015;10:e0134299 pubmed publisher..In ddb1m863 mutant embryos, pcna-expressing proliferating cell populations were reduced, concurrent with increased apoptosis...
- Baumgart M, Groth M, Priebe S, Savino A, Testa G, Dix A, et al. RNA-seq of the aging brain in the short-lived fish N. furzeri - conserved pathways and novel genes associated with neurogenesis. Aging Cell. 2014;13:965-74 pubmed publisher..Other genes down-regulated with age, not previously associated with adult neurogenesis and with similar patterns of expression are AGR2, DNMT3A, KRCP, MEX3A, SCML4, and CBX1. CBX7, on the other hand, was up-regulated with age. ..
- Thummel R, Kassen S, Enright J, Nelson C, Montgomery J, Hyde D. Characterization of Müller glia and neuronal progenitors during adult zebrafish retinal regeneration. Exp Eye Res. 2008;87:433-44 pubmed publisher..We compared the temporal and spatial expression patterns of these markers relative to PCNA (proliferating cell nuclear antigen), an established marker for proliferating cells in the zebrafish retina, and the Tg(gfap:EGFP) nt11 ..
- Pendeville H, Peers B, Kas K, Voz M. Cloning and embryonic expression of zebrafish PLAG genes. Gene Expr Patterns. 2006;6:267-76 pubmed..We show that this pattern resembles the one observed for the proliferative marker PCNA, suggesting that the PLAG genes are expressed more strongly in zones of active proliferation...
- Shitasako S, Ito Y, Ito R, Ueda Y, Shimizu Y, Ohshima T. Wnt and Shh signals regulate neural stem cell proliferation and differentiation in the optic tectum of adult zebrafish. Dev Neurobiol. 2017;77:1206-1220 pubmed publisher..Our experimental data also indicate the involvement of these signaling pathways in neural differentiation from NSCs. © 2017 Wiley Periodicals, Inc. Develop Neurobiol 77: 1206-1220, 2017. ..
- Parng C, Roy N, Ton C, Lin Y, McGrath P. Neurotoxicity assessment using zebrafish. J Pharmacol Toxicol Methods. 2007;55:103-12 pubmed..Effects of drug treatment on different neurons can easily be visually assessed and quantified in intact animals. These results support the use of zebrafish as a predictive model for assessing neurotoxicity. ..
- Kassen S, Thummel R, Campochiaro L, Harding M, Bennett N, Hyde D. CNTF induces photoreceptor neuroprotection and Müller glial cell proliferation through two different signaling pathways in the adult zebrafish retina. Exp Eye Res. 2009;88:1051-64 pubmed publisher..Thus, CNTF utilizes a MAPK-dependant signaling pathway in neuroprotection of light-induced photoreceptor cell death and a Stat3-dependant signaling pathway to stimulate Müller glia proliferation. ..
- Gorissen M, Manuel R, Pelgrim T, Mes W, de Wolf M, Zethof J, et al. Differences in inhibitory avoidance, cortisol and brain gene expression in TL and AB zebrafish. Genes Brain Behav. 2015;14:428-38 pubmed publisher..We conclude that AB fish show higher cortisol levels and no inhibitory avoidance than TL fish. The differential learning responses of these Danio strains may unmask genetically defined risks for stress-related disorders. ..
- Ishida T, Nakajima T, Kudo A, Kawakami A. Phosphorylation of Junb family proteins by the Jun N-terminal kinase supports tissue regeneration in zebrafish. Dev Biol. 2010;340:468-79 pubmed publisher..Thus, our data suggest that the transcriptional and post-transcriptional controls of junbs and their protein products are the important regulative steps that enable tissue regeneration in zebrafish. ..