Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: pax8
Description: paired box 8
Alias: paired box protein Pax-8, paired box gene 8
- Nissen R, Yan J, Amsterdam A, Hopkins N, Burgess S. Zebrafish foxi one modulates cellular responses to Fgf signaling required for the integrity of ear and jaw patterning. Development. 2003;130:2543-54 pubmed..foo is expressed in otic placode precursor cells, and foo/foo embryos lack placodal pax8 expression and have disorganized otic expression of pax2.1 and dlx3...
- Solomon K, Kudoh T, Dawid I, Fritz A. Zebrafish foxi1 mediates otic placode formation and jaw development. Development. 2003;130:929-40 pubmed..We provide evidence that foxi1 regulates expression of pax8, indicating a very early role for this gene in placode formation...
- Nikaido M, Doi K, Shimizu T, Hibi M, Kikuchi Y, Yamasu K. Initial specification of the epibranchial placode in zebrafish embryos depends on the fibroblast growth factor signal. Dev Dyn. 2007;236:564-71 pubmed..Together, these data provide evidence for the essential role of FGF signals in the development of the epibranchial placodes. ..
- Nicolson T. The genetics of hearing and balance in zebrafish. Annu Rev Genet. 2005;39:9-22 pubmed..This review addresses the most recent advances in our understanding of how the ear forms and discusses the molecules in hair cells that are essential for sensing sound and movement in the zebrafish. ..
- Nakada C, Iida A, Tabata Y, Watanabe S. Forkhead transcription factor foxe1 regulates chondrogenesis in zebrafish. J Exp Zool B Mol Dev Evol. 2009;312:827-40 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, the roles reported for FOXE1 in mammalian thyroid development may have been acquired during evolution. ..
- Jia P, Ma Y, Lu C, Mirza Z, Zhang W, Jia Y, et al. The Effects of Disturbance on Hypothalamus-Pituitary-Thyroid (HPT) Axis in Zebrafish Larvae after Exposure to DEHP. PLoS ONE. 2016;11:e0155762 pubmed publisher..The expression level of genes involved in thyroid development (nkx2.1 and pax8) and thyroid synthesis (sodium/iodide symporter, nis, thyroglobulin, tg) were also measured...
- Batista M, Lewis K. Pax2/8 act redundantly to specify glycinergic and GABAergic fates of multiple spinal interneurons. Dev Biol. 2008;323:88-97 pubmed publisher..paper, we show that in zebrafish most glycinergic and many GABAergic spinal interneurons express Pax2a, Pax2b and Pax8 and that these transcription factors are redundantly required for the neurotransmitter fates of many of these cells...
- Campinho M, Saraiva J, Florindo C, Power D. Maternal thyroid hormones are essential for neural development in zebrafish. Mol Endocrinol. 2014;28:1136-49 pubmed publisher..Maternal THs acted upstream of pax2a, pax7, and pax8 genes but downstream of shha and fgf8a signaling...
- Rau M, Fischer S, Neumann C. Zebrafish Trap230/Med12 is required as a coactivator for Sox9-dependent neural crest, cartilage and ear development. Dev Biol. 2006;296:83-93 pubmed..Mediator is a coactivator complex transducing the interaction of DNA-binding transcription factors with RNA polymerase II, and our results reveal a critical function of the Trap230 subunit as a coactivator for Sox9. ..
- Pappalardo A, Porreca I, Caputi L, De Felice E, Schulte Merker S, Zannini M, et al. Thyroid development in zebrafish lacking Taz. Mech Dev. 2015;138 Pt 3:268-78 pubmed publisher..These findings indicate that the zebrafish Taz protein is needed for the normal differentiation of the thyroid and are the first to suggest that Taz confers growth advantage to the endocrine gland. ..
- Naylor R, Dodd R, Davidson A. Caudal migration and proliferation of renal progenitors regulates early nephron segment size in zebrafish. Sci Rep. 2016;6:35647 pubmed publisher..Together, these data provide new insights into early nephron morphogenesis and demonstrate the importance of cell movement and proliferation in determining initial nephron segment size. ..
- Gentilcore D, Porreca I, Rizzo F, Ganbaatar E, Carchia E, Mallardo M, et al. Bisphenol A interferes with thyroid specific gene expression. Toxicology. 2013;304:21-31 pubmed publisher..Moreover, this report may provide new insight into the mode of BPA-induced deregulation of physiological processes as well as on the extensively debated molecular pathways underlying its biological activities. ..
- Kim S, Jung J, Lee I, Jung D, Youn H, Choi K. Thyroid disruption by triphenyl phosphate, an organophosphate flame retardant, in zebrafish (Danio rerio) embryos/larvae, and in GH3 and FRTL-5 cell lines. Aquat Toxicol. 2015;160:188-96 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our observations show that TPP could increase the thyroid hormone concentrations in the early life stages of zebrafish by disrupting the central regulation and hormone synthesis pathways. ..
- Hans S, Westerfield M. Changes in retinoic acid signaling alter otic patterning. Development. 2007;134:2449-58 pubmed..Foxi1 provides competence to adopt an otic fate. Subsequently, pax8, the expression of which depends upon Foxi1 and Fgf, is also expressed throughout the preplacodal domain...
- Hashiguchi M, Mullins M. Anteroposterior and dorsoventral patterning are coordinated by an identical patterning clock. Development. 2013;140:1970-80 pubmed publisher..Thus, DV and AP patterning are intimately coordinated to allow cells to acquire both positional and temporal information simultaneously. ..
- Doitsidou M, Reichman Fried M, Stebler J, Köprunner M, Dörries J, Meyer D, et al. Guidance of primordial germ cell migration by the chemokine SDF-1. Cell. 2002;111:647-59 pubmed..Finally, we show that the PGCs can be attracted toward an ectopic source of the chemokine, strongly suggesting that this molecule provides a key directional cue for the PGCs. ..
- Kim S, Ji K, Lee S, Lee J, Kim J, Kim S, et al. Perfluorooctane sulfonic acid exposure increases cadmium toxicity in early life stage of zebrafish, Danio rerio. Environ Toxicol Chem. 2011;30:870-7 pubmed publisher..THR?], thyroid hormone receptor-beta [THR?], hematopoietically expressed homeobox [hhex], and paired box gene 8 [pax8]) and decrease of throxine (T4) levels were observed in the PFOS preexposure group, suggesting that ..
- Dutton K, Abbas L, Spencer J, Brannon C, Mowbray C, Nikaido M, et al. A zebrafish model for Waardenburg syndrome type IV reveals diverse roles for Sox10 in the otic vesicle. Dis Model Mech. 2009;2:68-83 pubmed publisher..We discuss the implication that the deafness in WS4 patients with SOX10 mutations might reflect a haploinsufficiency for SOX10 in the otic epithelium, resulting in patterning and functional abnormalities in the inner ear. ..
- Opitz R, Maquet E, Zoenen M, Dadhich R, Costagliola S. TSH receptor function is required for normal thyroid differentiation in zebrafish. Mol Endocrinol. 2011;25:1579-99 pubmed publisher..A comparison of our results with phenotypes observed in mouse models of defective TSHR and cAMP signaling highlights the value of zebrafish as a model to enhance the understanding of functional differentiation in the vertebrate thyroid. ..
- Porreca I, De Felice E, Fagman H, Di Lauro R, Sordino P. Zebrafish bcl2l is a survival factor in thyroid development. Dev Biol. 2012;366:142-52 pubmed publisher..This is the first demonstration of an active mechanism to ensure survival of the thyroid primordium during morphogenesis. ..
- Bhat N, Riley B. Integrin-?5 coordinates assembly of posterior cranial placodes in zebrafish and enhances Fgf-dependent regulation of otic/epibranchial cells. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e27778 pubmed publisher..Finally, proper regulation of itga5 requires dlx3b/4b and pax8, which are themselves regulated by Fgf...
- Jászai J, Reifers F, Picker A, Langenberg T, Brand M. Isthmus-to-midbrain transformation in the absence of midbrain-hindbrain organizer activity. Development. 2003;130:6611-23 pubmed..Taken together, our analysis reveals that cells of the isthmic and cerebellar primordia acquire a more rostral, tectal identity in the absence of the functional MHB organizer signal Fgf8. ..
- McCarroll M, Lewis Z, Culbertson M, Martin B, Kimelman D, Nechiporuk A. Graded levels of Pax2a and Pax8 regulate cell differentiation during sensory placode formation. Development. 2012;139:2740-50 pubmed publisher..We show that differential levels of zebrafish Pax2a and Pax8 modulate commitment and behavior in cells that eventually contribute to the otic vesicle and epibranchial placodes...
- Du G, Hu J, Huang H, Qin Y, Han X, Wu D, et al. Perfluorooctane sulfonate (PFOS) affects hormone receptor activity, steroidogenesis, and expression of endocrine-related genes in vitro and in vivo. Environ Toxicol Chem. 2013;32:353-60 pubmed publisher..In addition, PFOS increased early thyroid development gene (hhex and pax8) expression in a concentration-dependent manner, decreased steroidogenic enzyme gene (CYP17, CYP19a, CYP19b) ..
- Maulding K, Padanad M, Dong J, Riley B. Mesodermal Fgf10b cooperates with other fibroblast growth factors during induction of otic and epibranchial placodes in zebrafish. Dev Dyn. 2014;243:1275-85 pubmed publisher..fgf10b participates in a late phase of otic induction and, in combination with fgf3, is especially critical for epibranchial induction. ..
- Padanad M, Bhat N, Guo B, Riley B. Conditions that influence the response to Fgf during otic placode induction. Dev Biol. 2012;364:1-10 pubmed publisher..Misexpression of downstream factors Pax2a or Pax8 also expands otic markers but cannot bypass the requirement for Fgf or Foxi1...
- Tu W, Xu C, Lu B, Lin C, Wu Y, Liu W. Acute exposure to synthetic pyrethroids causes bioconcentration and disruption of the hypothalamus-pituitary-thyroid axis in zebrafish embryos. Sci Total Environ. 2016;542:876-85 pubmed publisher..In addition, the majority of the HPT axis-related genes examined, including CRH, TSHÎ², TTR, UGT1ab, Pax8, Dio2 and TRÎ±, were significantly upregulated in the presence of BF...
- de Groh E, Swanhart L, Cosentino C, Jackson R, Dai W, Kitchens C, et al. Inhibition of histone deacetylase expands the renal progenitor cell population. J Am Soc Nephrol. 2010;21:794-802 pubmed publisher..In summary, these results support a mechanistic link among renal progenitor cells, HDAC, and the retinoid pathway. Whether PTBA holds promise as a therapeutic agent to promote renal regeneration requires further study. ..
- Kwon H. Vitamin D receptor deficiency impairs inner ear development in zebrafish. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2016;478:994-8 pubmed publisher..Loss-of-vdrb resulted in down-regulation of pre-otic markers, pax8 and pax2a, indicating impairment of otic induction...
- Zhao X, Ren X, Ren B, Luo Z, Zhu R. Life-cycle exposure to BDE-47 results in thyroid endocrine disruption to adults and offsprings of zebrafish (Danio rerio). Environ Toxicol Pharmacol. 2016;48:157-167 pubmed publisher..All the genes showed clear differences between continued exposure to 10?g/L BDE-47 and without BDE-47 exposure. These results suggest that parental exposure to BDE-47 results in thyroid endocrine disruption in adults and offspring. ..
- Zucchi S, Blüthgen N, Ieronimo A, Fent K. The UV-absorber benzophenone-4 alters transcripts of genes involved in hormonal pathways in zebrafish (Danio rerio) eleuthero-embryos and adult males. Toxicol Appl Pharmacol. 2011;250:137-46 pubmed publisher..In eleuthero-embryos transcripts of vtg1, vtg3, esr1, esr2b, hsd17ß3, cyp19b cyp19a, hhex and pax8 were induced at 3000 ?g/L BP-4, which points to a low estrogenic activity and interference with early thyroid ..
- Ikenaga T, Urban J, Gebhart N, Hatta K, Kawakami K, Ono F. Formation of the spinal network in zebrafish determined by domain-specific pax genes. J Comp Neurol. 2011;519:1562-79 pubmed publisher..we established a stable line of zebrafish in which the red fluorescent protein (RFP) was inserted into the pax8 gene...
- Zhang D, Zhou E, Yang Z. Waterborne exposure to BPS causes thyroid endocrine disruption in zebrafish larvae. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0176927 pubmed publisher..The transcription of genes involved in thyroid development (pax8) and synthesis (sodium/iodide symporter, slc5a5) were also significantly increased in the 30 ?g/L of BPS treatment ..
- Feijóo C, Saldias M, De la Paz J, Gomez Skarmeta J, Allende M. Formation of posterior cranial placode derivatives requires the Iroquois transcription factor irx4a. Mol Cell Neurosci. 2009;40:328-37 pubmed publisher..Our results point to irx4a as a critical gene for numerous developmental processes and highlight its role in the formation of placodal derivatives in vertebrates. ..
- Tallafuss A, Wilm T, Crozatier M, Pfeffer P, Wassef M, Bally Cuif L. The zebrafish buttonhead-like factor Bts1 is an early regulator of pax2.1 expression during mid-hindbrain development. Development. 2001;128:4021-34 pubmed..In addition, they imply that flies and vertebrates, to control the development of a boundary embryonic region, have probably co-opted a similar strategy: the restriction to this territory of the expression of a Btd/Sp-like factor. ..
- Kim S, Sohn J, Ha S, Kang H, Yim U, Shim W, et al. Thyroid Hormone Disruption by Water-Accommodated Fractions of Crude Oil and Sediments Affected by the Hebei Spirit Oil Spill in Zebrafish and GH3 Cells. Environ Sci Technol. 2016;50:5972-80 pubmed publisher..Sediment samples also showed thyroid disrupting potentials in the GH3 cell, even several years after the oil spill. Long-term ecosystem consequences of thyroid hormone disruption due to oil spill deserve further investigation. ..
- Diep C, Ma D, Deo R, Holm T, Naylor R, Arora N, et al. Identification of adult nephron progenitors capable of kidney regeneration in zebrafish. Nature. 2011;470:95-100 pubmed publisher..The identification of these cells paves the way to isolating or engineering the equivalent cells in mammals and developing novel renal regenerative therapies. ..
- Kwon H, Riley B. Mesendodermal signals required for otic induction: Bmp-antagonists cooperate with Fgf and can facilitate formation of ectopic otic tissue. Dev Dyn. 2009;238:1582-94 pubmed publisher..Developmental Dynamics 238:1582-1594, 2009. (c) 2009 Wiley-Liss, Inc. ..
- O Hara F, Beck E, Barr L, Wong L, Kessler D, Riddle R. Zebrafish Lmx1b.1 and Lmx1b.2 are required for maintenance of the isthmic organizer. Development. 2005;132:3163-73 pubmed..1 and Lmx1b.2 using morpholino antisense oligos results in a loss of wnt1, wnt3a, wnt10b, pax8 and fgf8 expression at the IsO, leading ultimately to programmed cell death and the loss of the isthmic ..
- Naylor R, Skvarca L, Thisse C, Thisse B, Hukriede N, Davidson A. BMP and retinoic acid regulate anterior-posterior patterning of the non-axial mesoderm across the dorsal-ventral axis. Nat Commun. 2016;7:12197 pubmed publisher..This work clarifies our understanding of vertebrate axis orientation and establishes a new paradigm for how the kidney and other mesodermal derivatives arise during embryogenesis. ..
- Lin C, Spikings E, Zhang T, Rawson D. Effect of chilling and cryopreservation on expression of Pax genes in zebrafish (Danio rerio) embryos and blastomeres. Cryobiology. 2009;59:42-7 pubmed publisher..RT-PCR analysis to determine the effect of chilling and cryopreservation on expression of Pax2a, Pax2b, Pax5 and Pax8 which constitute one subgroup of the Pax gene family...
- JuÃ¡rez Morales J, Schulte C, Pezoa S, Vallejo G, Hilinski W, England S, et al. Evx1 and Evx2 specify excitatory neurotransmitter fates and suppress inhibitory fates through a Pax2-independent mechanism. Neural Dev. 2016;11:5 pubmed publisher..These results significantly increase our understanding of the mechanisms of neuronal specification and the genetic networks involved in these processes. ..
- Rainieri S, Conlledo N, Langerholc T, Madorran E, Sala M, Barranco A. Toxic effects of perfluorinated compounds at human cellular level and on a model vertebrate. Food Chem Toxicol. 2017;104:14-25 pubmed publisher..This study highlights the importance of studying PFCs in realistic conditions on various biological models. ..
- Chen Q, Yu L, Yang L, Zhou B. Bioconcentration and metabolism of decabromodiphenyl ether (BDE-209) result in thyroid endocrine disruption in zebrafish larvae. Aquat Toxicol. 2012;110-111:141-8 pubmed publisher..Genes involved in thyroid development (Pax8 and Nkx2...
- Hans S, Christison J, Liu D, Westerfield M. Fgf-dependent otic induction requires competence provided by Foxi1 and Dlx3b. BMC Dev Biol. 2007;7:5 pubmed..These results provide further support for the hypothesis that Foxi1 and Dlx3b provide competence for cells to respond to Fgf and form an otic placode. ..
- Du G, Huang H, Hu J, Qin Y, Wu D, Song L, et al. Endocrine-related effects of perfluorooctanoic acid (PFOA) in zebrafish, H295R steroidogenesis and receptor reporter gene assays. Chemosphere. 2013;91:1099-106 pubmed publisher..The current findings indicated the potential endocrine-related effects of PFOA and provided novel information for human risk assessment. ..
- Tu W, Xu C, Jin Y, Lu B, Lin C, Wu Y, et al. Permethrin is a potential thyroid-disrupting chemical: In vivo and in silico envidence. Aquat Toxicol. 2016;175:39-46 pubmed publisher..Both in vivo and in silico studies clearly disclosed that PM potentially disrupts the thyroid endocrine system in fish. This study provides a rapid and cost-effective approach for identifying THDCs and the underlying mechanisms. ..
- Bhat N, Kwon H, Riley B. A gene network that coordinates preplacodal competence and neural crest specification in zebrafish. Dev Biol. 2013;373:107-17 pubmed publisher..Thus, we have identified a gene regulatory network that coordinates development of NC, PPE and individual placodes in zebrafish. ..
- Phillips B, Kwon H, Melton C, Houghtaling P, Fritz A, Riley B. Zebrafish msxB, msxC and msxE function together to refine the neural-nonneural border and regulate cranial placodes and neural crest development. Dev Biol. 2006;294:376-90 pubmed..These data suggest that mutual antagonism between Msx and Dlx proteins achieves a balance of function required for normal preplacodal differentiation and placement of the neural-nonneural border. ..
- Shi X, Du Y, Lam P, Wu R, Zhou B. Developmental toxicity and alteration of gene expression in zebrafish embryos exposed to PFOS. Toxicol Appl Pharmacol. 2008;230:23-32 pubmed publisher..In addition, we investigated the effects of PFOS on marker genes related to early thyroid development (hhex and pax8) and genes regulating the balance of androgens and estrogens (cyp19a and cyp19b)...
- Zhai W, Huang Z, Chen L, Feng C, Li B, Li T. Thyroid endocrine disruption in zebrafish larvae after exposure to mono-(2-ethylhexyl) phthalate (MEHP). PLoS ONE. 2014;9:e92465 pubmed publisher..Exposure to MEHP also significantly induced transcription of genes involved in thyroid development (Nkx2.1 and Pax8) and thyroid hormone synthesis (TSH?, NIS and TG)...