Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: pax7a
Description: paired box 7a
Alias: paired box 7, paired box gene 7a, paired box homeotic gene 7a
- Patterson S, Mook L, Devoto S. Growth in the larval zebrafish pectoral fin and trunk musculature. Dev Dyn. 2008;237:307-15 pubmed..Our results suggest that regulation of fiber type development and muscle growth may differ in the pectoral fin and trunk. ..
- Gribble S, Nikolaus O, Dorsky R. Regulation and function of Dbx genes in the zebrafish spinal cord. Dev Dyn. 2007;236:3472-83 pubmed..Our data confirm that the dbx1a/1b/2 domain in zebrafish spinal cord development behaves similarly to amniotes, while extending knowledge of Dbx1 function in spinal cord patterning. ..
- Yabe T, Hoshijima K, Yamamoto T, Takada S. Quadruple zebrafish mutant reveals different roles of Mesp genes in somite segmentation between mouse and zebrafish. Development. 2016;143:2842-52 pubmed publisher..These results clarify the conserved and species-specific roles of Mesp in the link between the molecular clock and somite morphogenesis. ..
- Pipalia T, Koth J, Roy S, Hammond C, Kawakami K, Hughes S. Cellular dynamics of regeneration reveals role of two distinct Pax7 stem cell populations in larval zebrafish muscle repair. Dis Model Mech. 2016;9:671-84 pubmed publisher..Analysis of pax7a and pax7b transgenic reporter fish reveals that cells expressing each of the duplicated pax7 genes are distinctly ..
- Ota S, Ishitani S, Shimizu N, Matsumoto K, Itoh M, Ishitani T. NLK positively regulates Wnt/?-catenin signalling by phosphorylating LEF1 in neural progenitor cells. EMBO J. 2012;31:1904-15 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, we demonstrate that NLK functions downstream of Dishevelled (Dvl) in the Wnt/?-catenin signalling pathway. Our findings reveal a novel role of NLK in the activation of the Wnt/?-catenin signalling pathway. ..
- Hollway G, Bryson Richardson R, Berger S, Cole N, Hall T, Currie P. Whole-somite rotation generates muscle progenitor cell compartments in the developing zebrafish embryo. Dev Cell. 2007;12:207-19 pubmed..We also show that formation of this compartment occurs via whole-somite rotation, a process that requires the action of the Sdf family of secreted cytokines. ..
- Minchin J, Williams V, Hinits Y, Low S, Tandon P, Fan C, et al. Oesophageal and sternohyal muscle fibres are novel Pax3-dependent migratory somite derivatives essential for ingestion. Development. 2013;140:2972-84 pubmed publisher..Together, our data demonstrate Pax3-expressing somite cells as a source of OSM and SHM fibres, and highlight a conserved role of Pax3 genes in the genesis of these feeding muscles of vertebrates. ..
- Housley M, Reischauer S, Dieu M, Raes M, Stainier D, Vanhollebeke B. Translational profiling through biotinylation of tagged ribosomes in zebrafish. Development. 2014;141:3988-93 pubmed publisher..Through this work we have thus developed additional tools for highly specific gene expression profiling. ..
- Ignatius M, Chen E, Elpek N, Fuller A, Tenente I, Clagg R, et al. In vivo imaging of tumor-propagating cells, regional tumor heterogeneity, and dynamic cell movements in embryonal rhabdomyosarcoma. Cancer Cell. 2012;21:680-93 pubmed publisher..Our data suggest that non-tumor-propagating cells likely have important supportive roles in cancer progression and facilitate metastasis. ..
- Kawakami A, Nojima Y, Toyoda A, Takahoko M, Satoh M, Tanaka H, et al. The zebrafish-secreted matrix protein you/scube2 is implicated in long-range regulation of hedgehog signaling. Curr Biol. 2005;15:480-8 pubmed..We further show that Bmp activity can be attenuated by the coexpression of Scube2. Our data support the idea that Scube2 can modulate the long-range action of Bmp-dependent signaling in the neural tube and somites. ..
- Rovira M, Arrey G, Planas J. Exercise-Induced Hypertrophic and Oxidative Signaling Pathways and Myokine Expression in Fast Muscle of Adult Zebrafish. Front Physiol. 2017;8:1063 pubmed publisher..These results support the use of zebrafish as a suitable model for studies on muscle remodeling in vertebrates, including humans. ..
- Nyholm M, Wu S, Dorsky R, Grinblat Y. The zebrafish zic2a-zic5 gene pair acts downstream of canonical Wnt signaling to control cell proliferation in the developing tectum. Development. 2007;134:735-46 pubmed..Collectively these findings suggest that Wnts control midbrain proliferation, at least in part, through regulation of two novel target genes, the zic2a-zic5 gene pair. ..
- Devoto S, Stoiber W, Hammond C, Steinbacher P, Haslett J, Barresi M, et al. Generality of vertebrate developmental patterns: evidence for a dermomyotome in fish. Evol Dev. 2006;8:101-10 pubmed..The identification of a dermomyotome in fish makes it possible to apply the powerful cellular and genetic approaches available in zebrafish to the understanding of this key developmental structure. ..
- Scott E, Mason L, Arrenberg A, Ziv L, Gosse N, Xiao T, et al. Targeting neural circuitry in zebrafish using GAL4 enhancer trapping. Nat Methods. 2007;4:323-6 pubmed..Through targeted photoconversion of UAS-driven Kaede and variegated expression of UAS-driven GFP in single cells, we begin to characterize the cellular components of labeled circuits. ..
- Berberoglu M, Gallagher T, Morrow Z, Talbot J, Hromowyk K, Tenente I, et al. Satellite-like cells contribute to pax7-dependent skeletal muscle repair in adult zebrafish. Dev Biol. 2017;424:162-180 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, using a pax7a-driven GFP reporter, we present evidence implicating satellite-like cells as a possible source of new muscle...
- Lacosta A, Canudas J, Gonzalez C, Muniesa P, Sarasa M, Dominguez L. Pax7 identifies neural crest, chromatophore lineages and pigment stem cells during zebrafish development. Int J Dev Biol. 2007;51:327-31 pubmed..Finally, during the larva to adult transition, we show that pigment stem cells recapitulate the expression of Pax7. ..
- Bergeron S, Tyurina O, Miller E, Bagas A, Karlstrom R. Brother of cdo (umleitung) is cell-autonomously required for Hedgehog-mediated ventral CNS patterning in the zebrafish. Development. 2011;138:75-85 pubmed publisher..This study reveals a role for Boc in ventral CNS cells that receive high levels of Hh and uncovers previously unknown roles for Boc in vertebrate embryogenesis. ..
- Minchin J, Hughes S. Sequential actions of Pax3 and Pax7 drive xanthophore development in zebrafish neural crest. Dev Biol. 2008;317:508-22 pubmed publisher..Therefore, Pax3 in zebrafish is required for specification of two specific lineages of neural crest, xanthophores and enteric neurons. ..
- Phillips B, Kwon H, Melton C, Houghtaling P, Fritz A, Riley B. Zebrafish msxB, msxC and msxE function together to refine the neural-nonneural border and regulate cranial placodes and neural crest development. Dev Biol. 2006;294:376-90 pubmed..These data suggest that mutual antagonism between Msx and Dlx proteins achieves a balance of function required for normal preplacodal differentiation and placement of the neural-nonneural border. ..
- Dyer C, Blanc E, Hanisch A, Roehl H, Otto G, Yu T, et al. A bi-modal function of Wnt signalling directs an FGF activity gradient to spatially regulate neuronal differentiation in the midbrain. Development. 2014;141:63-72 pubmed publisher..This controls a dynamic, posteriorly retracting expression of her5 that directs neuronal differentiation in a precise spatiotemporal manner in the midbrain...
- Nesan D, Kamkar M, Burrows J, Scott I, Marsden M, Vijayan M. Glucocorticoid receptor signaling is essential for mesoderm formation and muscle development in zebrafish. Endocrinology. 2012;153:1288-300 pubmed publisher..Our results for the first time indicate that GR signaling is essential for zebrafish muscle development, and we hypothesize a role for BMP morphogens in this process. ..
- Scholpp S, Foucher I, Staudt N, Peukert D, Lumsden A, Houart C. Otx1l, Otx2 and Irx1b establish and position the ZLI in the diencephalon. Development. 2007;134:3167-76 pubmed..We therefore propose that the ZLI is induced within the competence area established by Otx1l/2, and is posteriorly restricted by Irx1b. ..
- Miyake A, Chitose T, Kamei E, Murakami A, Nakayama Y, Konishi M, et al. Fgf16 is required for specification of GABAergic neurons and oligodendrocytes in the zebrafish forebrain. PLoS ONE. 2014;9:e110836 pubmed publisher..The results of the present study indicate that Fgf16 signaling, which is regulated by the downstream pathways of Hh-Fgf19 in the forebrain, is involved in forebrain development. ..
- Nogueira J, Hawrot K, Sharpe C, Noble A, Wood W, Jorge E, et al. The emergence of Pax7-expressing muscle stem cells during vertebrate head muscle development. Front Aging Neurosci. 2015;7:62 pubmed publisher..The cells develop late, and well after the head mesoderm has committed to myogenesis. We propose that this unique mechanism of muscle stem cell development is a legacy of the evolutionary history of the chordate head mesoderm. ..
- Gao Y, Dai Z, Shi C, Zhai G, Jin X, He J, et al. Depletion of Myostatin b Promotes Somatic Growth and Lipid Metabolism in Zebrafish. Front Endocrinol (Lausanne). 2016;7:88 pubmed publisher..Our mstnb-deficient model could be valuable in understanding not only the growth trait regulation in teleosts but also the mechanisms of teleost energy metabolism. ..
- Lele Z, Folchert A, Concha M, Rauch G, Geisler R, Rosa F, et al. parachute/n-cadherin is required for morphogenesis and maintained integrity of the zebrafish neural tube. Development. 2002;129:3281-94 pubmed..Our results thus highlight novel and crucial in vivo roles for Ncad in the control of cell convergence, maintenance of neuronal positioning and dorsal cell proliferation during vertebrate neural tube development. ..
- Guner B, Ozacar A, Thomas J, Karlstrom R. Graded hedgehog and fibroblast growth factor signaling independently regulate pituitary cell fates and help establish the pars distalis and pars intermedia of the zebrafish adenohypophysis. Endocrinology. 2008;149:4435-51 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that there are distinct origins and signaling requirements for the PD and PI. ..
- Albuixech Crespo B, López Blanch L, Burguera D, Maeso I, Sánchez Arrones L, Moreno Bravo J, et al. Molecular regionalization of the developing amphioxus neural tube challenges major partitions of the vertebrate brain. PLoS Biol. 2017;15:e2001573 pubmed publisher..This suggests that these domains have a common developmental and evolutionary origin, as supported by functional experiments manipulating secondary organizers in zebrafish and mice. ..
- Han R, Wang R, Zhao Q, Han Y, Zong S, Miao S, et al. Trim69 regulates zebrafish brain development by ap-1 pathway. Sci Rep. 2016;6:24034 pubmed publisher..Overall, our results support a role for trim69 in the development of the zebrafish brain through ap-1 pathway. ..
- Hammond C, Hinits Y, Osborn D, Minchin J, Tettamanti G, Hughes S. Signals and myogenic regulatory factors restrict pax3 and pax7 expression to dermomyotome-like tissue in zebrafish. Dev Biol. 2007;302:504-21 pubmed..Our data show that the relationship between Pax3/7 genes and myogenesis is evolutionarily ancient, but that changes in the MRF targets for particular signals contribute to myogenic differences between species. ..
- Feldman B, Dougan S, Schier A, Talbot W. Nodal-related signals establish mesendodermal fate and trunk neural identity in zebrafish. Curr Biol. 2000;10:531-4 pubmed..These results demonstrate that nodal-related genes are required for the allocation of dorsal marginal cells to mesendodermal fates and for anteroposterior patterning of the neural tube. ..
- Langenau D, Keefe M, Storer N, Guyon J, Kutok J, Le X, et al. Effects of RAS on the genesis of embryonal rhabdomyosarcoma. Genes Dev. 2007;21:1382-95 pubmed..When coupled with gene expression studies of this cell population, we propose that the zebrafish RMS cancer stem cell shares similar self-renewal programs as those found in activated satellite cells...
- Liu Q, Marrs J, Londraville R, Wilson A. Cadherin-7 function in zebrafish development. Cell Tissue Res. 2008;334:37-45 pubmed publisher..Our results thus demonstrate that cadherin-7 plays an important role in the normal development of the zebrafish notochord. ..
- Gates K, Mentzer L, Karlstrom R, Sirotkin H. The transcriptional repressor REST/NRSF modulates hedgehog signaling. Dev Biol. 2010;340:293-305 pubmed publisher..The role of Rest as a regulator of Hh signaling has broad implications for many developmental contexts where REST and Hh signaling act. ..
- Patterson S, Bird N, Devoto S. BMP regulation of myogenesis in zebrafish. Dev Dyn. 2010;239:806-17 pubmed publisher..In addition, we show that while BMP overexpression is sufficient to delay myogenic differentiation, inhibition of BMP does not detectably affect this process, suggesting that other factors redundantly inhibit myogenic differentiation. ..
- Nguyen P, Hollway G, Sonntag C, Miles L, Hall T, Berger S, et al. Haematopoietic stem cell induction by somite-derived endothelial cells controlled by meox1. Nature. 2014;512:314-8 pubmed publisher..This study reveals the molecular basis for a novel somite lineage restriction mechanism and defines a new paradigm in induction of definitive HSCs. ..
- Zhang J, Laurence Souders C, Denslow N, Martyniuk C. Quercetin, a natural product supplement, impairs mitochondrial bioenergetics and locomotor behavior in larval zebrafish (Danio rerio). Toxicol Appl Pharmacol. 2017;327:30-38 pubmed publisher..Our data support the hypothesis that quercetin may affect locomotion and induce deformities in zebrafish larvae by diminishing ATP production and by altering the expression of transcripts related to muscle formation and activity. ..
- Hauptmann G, Söll I, Gerster T. The early embryonic zebrafish forebrain is subdivided into molecularly distinct transverse and longitudinal domains. Brain Res Bull. 2002;57:371-5 pubmed..Furthermore, we identified a series of eight transverse diencephalic domains which may indicate a prosomeric organization of the rostral zebrafish brain. ..
- Devine C, Sbrogna J, Guner B, Osgood M, Shen M, Karlstrom R. A dynamic Gli code interprets Hh signals to regulate induction, patterning, and endocrine cell specification in the zebrafish pituitary. Dev Biol. 2009;326:143-54 pubmed publisher..Given the link between Hh signaling and pituitary adenomas in humans, our data suggest misregulation of Gli function may contribute to these common pituitary tumors. ..
- Nord H, Dennhag N, Muck J, Von Hofsten J. Pax7 is required for establishment of the xanthophore lineage in zebrafish embryos. Mol Biol Cell. 2016;27:1853-62 pubmed publisher..In the zebrafish embryo, chromatophores derive from the neural crest cells. Using pax7a and pax7b zebrafish mutants, we identified a previously unknown requirement for Pax7 in xanthophore lineage ..
- Lauter G, Söll I, Hauptmann G. Molecular characterization of prosomeric and intraprosomeric subdivisions of the embryonic zebrafish diencephalon. J Comp Neurol. 2013;521:1093-118 pubmed publisher..Our comparative gene expression analysis conformed with the idea of a common bauplan for the diencephalon of anamniote and amniote vertebrates from fish to mammals. ..
- Mukherjee K, Ishii K, Pillalamarri V, Kammin T, Atkin J, Hickey S, et al. Actin capping protein CAPZB regulates cell morphology, differentiation, and neural crest migration in craniofacial morphogenesisâ€ . Hum Mol Genet. 2016;25:1255-70 pubmed publisher..In addition, capzb over-expression results in embryonic lethality. Therefore, proper capzb dosage is important during embryogenesis, and regulates both cell behavior and tissue morphogenesis. ..
- Al Oustah A, Danesin C, Khouri Farah N, Farreny M, Escalas N, Cochard P, et al. Dynamics of sonic hedgehog signaling in the ventral spinal cord are controlled by intrinsic changes in source cells requiring sulfatase 1. Development. 2014;141:1392-403 pubmed publisher..Our work, by pointing out the key role of Sulf1 in regulating Shh-dependent neural cell diversity, highlights a novel level of regulation, which involves temporal evolution of Shh source properties. ..
- Saera Vila A, Kasprick D, Junttila T, Grzegorski S, Louie K, Chiari E, et al. Myocyte Dedifferentiation Drives Extraocular Muscle Regeneration in Adult Zebrafish. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2015;56:4977-93 pubmed publisher..A mechanistic understanding of myocyte reprogramming may facilitate novel approaches to the development of molecular tools for targeted therapeutic regeneration in skeletal muscle disorders and beyond. ..
- Cretekos C, Grunwald D. alyron, an insertional mutation affecting early neural crest development in zebrafish. Dev Biol. 1999;210:322-38 pubmed