Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: pax6b
Description: paired box 6b
Alias: Pax6.2, cb566, fc09c10, id:ibd5095, wu:fc09c10, wu:fc33g08, paired box 6b, paired box gene 6b, sri(l)
- Navratilova P, Fredman D, Hawkins T, Turner K, Lenhard B, Becker T. Systematic human/zebrafish comparative identification of cis-regulatory activity around vertebrate developmental transcription factor genes. Dev Biol. 2009;327:526-40 pubmed publisher..human HCNEs. HCNEs from the same area often drive overlapping patterns, suggesting that multiple regulatory inputs are required to achieve robust and precise complex expression patterns exhibited by developmental genes. ..
- Delporte F, Pasque V, Devos N, Manfroid I, Voz M, Motte P, et al. Expression of zebrafish pax6b in pancreas is regulated by two enhancers containing highly conserved cis-elements bound by PDX1, PBX and PREP factors. BMC Dev Biol. 2008;8:53 pubmed publisher..Due to genome duplication in the evolution of ray-finned fishes, zebrafish has two pax6 genes, pax6a and pax6b. While both zebrafish pax6 genes are expressed in the developing eye and nervous system, only pax6b is expressed ..
- Kleinjan D, Bancewicz R, Gautier P, Dahm R, Schonthaler H, Damante G, et al. Subfunctionalization of duplicated zebrafish pax6 genes by cis-regulatory divergence. PLoS Genet. 2008;4:e29 pubmed publisher..In zebrafish, following a postulated whole-genome duplication event in an ancestral teleost, duplicates pax6a and pax6b jointly fulfill these roles...
- Yeyati P, Bancewicz R, Maule J, van Heyningen V. Hsp90 selectively modulates phenotype in vertebrate development. PLoS Genet. 2007;3:e43 pubmed..Under these conditions the severity of the recessive eye phenotype in sunrise, caused by a pax6b mutation, was increased, while in dreumes, caused by a sufu mutation, it was decreased...
- Mikkola I, Bruun J, Holm T, Johansen T. Superactivation of Pax6-mediated transactivation from paired domain-binding sites by dna-independent recruitment of different homeodomain proteins. J Biol Chem. 2001;276:4109-18 pubmed..Since many homeodomain proteins are coexpressed with Pax6 in several tissues during development, our results indicate the existence of novel regulatory interactions that may be important for fine tuning of gene regulation. ..
- Verbruggen V, Ek O, Georlette D, Delporte F, Von Berg V, Detry N, et al. The Pax6b homeodomain is dispensable for pancreatic endocrine cell differentiation in zebrafish. J Biol Chem. 2010;285:13863-73 pubmed publisher..The recent identification of the zebrafish sunrise mutant, harboring a mutation in the pax6b homeobox and presenting eye abnormalities but no obvious pancreatic defects, raised a question about the role of ..
- Puschel A, Gruss P, Westerfield M. Sequence and expression pattern of pax-6 are highly conserved between zebrafish and mice. Development. 1992;114:643-51 pubmed
- Parsons M, Pisharath H, Yusuff S, Moore J, Siekmann A, Lawson N, et al. Notch-responsive cells initiate the secondary transition in larval zebrafish pancreas. Mech Dev. 2009;126:898-912 pubmed publisher..We also show that Notch-responsive cells persist in the adult pancreas and possess the classical characteristics of centroacinar cells, a cell type believed to be a multipotent progenitor cell in adult mammalian pancreas. ..
- Manousaki T, Feiner N, Begemann G, Meyer A, Kuraku S. Co-orthology of Pax4 and Pax6 to the fly eyeless gene: molecular phylogenetic, comparative genomic, and embryological analyses. Evol Dev. 2011;13:448-59 pubmed publisher..In this context, evolution of transcriptional regulation associated with the Pax4-Pax6 split is also discussed in light of the zebrafish pax4 expression pattern that is analyzed here for the first time. ..
- Binot A, Manfroid I, Flasse L, Winandy M, Motte P, Martial J, et al. Nkx6.1 and nkx6.2 regulate alpha- and beta-cell formation in zebrafish by acting on pancreatic endocrine progenitor cells. Dev Biol. 2010;340:397-407 pubmed publisher..On the basis of our data, we propose a model in which nkx6.1 and nkx6.2, by allowing the establishment of the endocrine progenitor pool, control alpha- and beta-cell differentiation. ..
- Thummel R, Enright J, Kassen S, Montgomery J, Bailey T, Hyde D. Pax6a and Pax6b are required at different points in neuronal progenitor cell proliferation during zebrafish photoreceptor regeneration. Exp Eye Res. 2010;90:572-82 pubmed publisher..In zebrafish, there are two Pax6 proteins, one encoded by the pax6a gene and the other encoded by the pax6b gene...
- Eivers E, McCarthy K, Glynn C, Nolan C, Byrnes L. Insulin-like growth factor (IGF) signalling is required for early dorso-anterior development of the zebrafish embryo. Int J Dev Biol. 2004;48:1131-40 pubmed..Our data is consistent with a common pathway for integration of IGF, FGF8 and anti-BMPs in early vertebrate development. ..
- Van Hellemont R, Blomme T, Van de Peer Y, Marchal K. Divergence of regulatory sequences in duplicated fish genes. Genome Dyn. 2007;3:81-100 pubmed publisher..In this study we used in silico motif detection to show how alterations in the composition of regulatory motifs between paralogous genes in zebrafish and Tetraodon might reflect the functional divergence of duplicates. ..
- Shen Y, Raymond P. Zebrafish cone-rod (crx) homeobox gene promotes retinogenesis. Dev Biol. 2004;269:237-51 pubmed..These results suggest novel functions for zebrafish crx during retinal specification and differentiation. ..
- Yang L, Rastegar S, Strahle U. Regulatory interactions specifying Kolmer-Agduhr interneurons. Development. 2010;137:2713-22 pubmed publisher..Instead, olig2 and gata3 are required for the differentiation of gad67-expressing KA' cells. This suggests that the layout of regulatory networks is crucially dependent on the lineage that differs between KA' and KA' cells. ..
- Wilfinger A, Arkhipova V, Meyer D. Cell type and tissue specific function of islet genes in zebrafish pancreas development. Dev Biol. 2013;378:25-37 pubmed publisher..Overall, our data reveal a novel interaction of isl1 and isl2 genes in exocrine pancreas expansion and cell type specific requirements during endocrine cell maturation...
- Flasse L, Stern D, Pirson J, Manfroid I, Peers B, Voz M. The bHLH transcription factor Ascl1a is essential for the specification of the intestinal secretory cells and mediates Notch signaling in the zebrafish intestine. Dev Biol. 2013;376:187-97 pubmed publisher..This highlights the diversity in the ARP/ASCL family members acting as cell fate determinants downstream from Notch signaling. ..
- Stetsyuk V, Peers B, Mavropoulos A, Verbruggen V, Thisse B, Thisse C, et al. Calsenilin is required for endocrine pancreas development in zebrafish. Dev Dyn. 2007;236:1517-25 pubmed..Taken together, our results show that zebrafish calsenilin is involved in endocrine cell differentiation and morphogenesis within the pancreas. ..
- Wan J, Ramachandran R, Goldman D. HB-EGF is necessary and sufficient for Müller glia dedifferentiation and retina regeneration. Dev Cell. 2012;22:334-47 pubmed publisher..These data provide a link between extracellular signaling and regeneration-associated gene expression in the injured retina and suggest strategies for stimulating retina regeneration in mammals. ..
- Kaslin J, Ganz J, Geffarth M, Grandel H, Hans S, Brand M. Stem cells in the adult zebrafish cerebellum: initiation and maintenance of a novel stem cell niche. J Neurosci. 2009;29:6142-53 pubmed publisher..Nevertheless, retained epithelial properties such as distinct polarization and ventricular contact are critical common determinants to maintain neural stem cell activity in vertebrates. ..
- Isken A, Holzschuh J, Lampert J, Fischer L, Oberhauser V, Palczewski K, et al. Sequestration of retinyl esters is essential for retinoid signaling in the zebrafish embryo. J Biol Chem. 2007;282:1144-51 pubmed
- Marcelli F, Boisset G, Schorderet D. A dimerized HMX1 inhibits EPHA6/epha4b in mouse and zebrafish retinas. PLoS ONE. 2014;9:e100096 pubmed publisher..We also identified that EPHA6, a gene implicated in retinal axon guidance, is one of its targets in eye development and showed that a dimerized HMX1 is needed to inhibit EPHA6 expression. ..
- Lenkowski J, Qin Z, Sifuentes C, Thummel R, Soto C, Moens C, et al. Retinal regeneration in adult zebrafish requires regulation of TGF? signaling. Glia. 2013;61:1687-97 pubmed publisher..Tgif1 expression and regulation of TGF? signaling are implicated in the function of several types of stem cells, but this is the first demonstration that this regulatory network is necessary for regeneration of neurons. ..
- Hartnett L, Glynn C, Nolan C, Grealy M, Byrnes L. Insulin-like growth factor-2 regulates early neural and cardiovascular system development in zebrafish embryos. Int J Dev Biol. 2010;54:573-83 pubmed publisher..The finding that igf-2a and igf-2b do not act exclusively in a redundant manner may explain why both genes have been stably maintained in the genome. ..
- Adolf B, Chapouton P, Lam C, Topp S, Tannhäuser B, Strahle U, et al. Conserved and acquired features of adult neurogenesis in the zebrafish telencephalon. Dev Biol. 2006;295:278-93 pubmed
- Chatterjee M, Guo Q, Weber S, Scholpp S, LI J. Pax6 regulates the formation of the habenular nuclei by controlling the temporospatial expression of Shh in the diencephalon in vertebrates. BMC Biol. 2014;12:13 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, Shh mediates Pax6 function in regulating the partition of the p2 domain into the epithalamus and thalamus. ..
- Kim K, Zaikova T, Hutchison J, Tanguay R. Gold nanoparticles disrupt zebrafish eye development and pigmentation. Toxicol Sci. 2013;133:275-88 pubmed publisher..Expression patterns of key transcription factors regulating eye development (pax6a, pax6b, otx2, and rx1) and pigmentation (sox10) were both repressed in a concentration-dependent manner in embryos ..
- Ramachandran R, Fausett B, Goldman D. Ascl1a regulates Müller glia dedifferentiation and retinal regeneration through a Lin-28-dependent, let-7 microRNA signalling pathway. Nat Cell Biol. 2010;12:1101-7 pubmed publisher..demonstrate that let-7 represses expression of regeneration-associated genes such as, ascl1a, hspd1, lin-28, oct4, pax6b and c-myc...
- Nadauld L, Chidester S, Shelton D, Rai K, Broadbent T, Sandoval I, et al. Dual roles for adenomatous polyposis coli in regulating retinoic acid biosynthesis and Wnt during ocular development. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2006;103:13409-14 pubmed
- Joris M, Schloesser M, Baurain D, Hanikenne M, Muller M, Motte P. Number of inadvertent RNA targets for morpholino knockdown in Danio rerio is largely underestimated: evidence from the study of Ser/Arg-rich splicing factors. Nucleic Acids Res. 2017;45:9547-9557 pubmed publisher..Our data contribute to the debate about MO specificity, efficacy and the number of unknown targeted sequences. ..
- Mione M, Lele Z, Kwong C, Concha M, Clarke J. Expression of pcp4a in subpopulations of CNS neurons in zebrafish. J Comp Neurol. 2006;495:769-87 pubmed..The analysis of pcp4a expression and localization in the zebrafish brain suggests that pcp4a may be a useful marker for sensory and some motor neuronal circuitries and for telencephalic areas processing sensory inputs. ..
- Rai K, Jafri I, Chidester S, James S, Karpf A, Cairns B, et al. Dnmt3 and G9a cooperate for tissue-specific development in zebrafish. J Biol Chem. 2010;285:4110-21 pubmed publisher..We propose a model wherein specific DNMT-histone methyltransferase networks are utilized to silence critical regulators of cell fate in a tissue-specific manner. ..
- Xin Q, Rotchell J, Cheng J, Yi J, Zhang Q. Silver nanoparticles affect the neural development of zebrafish embryos. J Appl Toxicol. 2015;35:1481-92 pubmed publisher..These results indicate the potential neurotoxicity of AgNPs and could be extended to other aquatic organisms. ..
- Schlueter P, Peng G, Westerfield M, Duan C. Insulin-like growth factor signaling regulates zebrafish embryonic growth and development by promoting cell survival and cell cycle progression. Cell Death Differ. 2007;14:1095-105 pubmed
- Kamei H, Ding Y, Kajimura S, Wells M, CHIANG P, Duan C. Role of IGF signaling in catch-up growth and accelerated temporal development in zebrafish embryos in response to oxygen availability. Development. 2011;138:777-86 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that the evolutionarily conserved IGF signaling pathway coordinates growth and temporal development in zebrafish embryos in response to oxygen availability. ..
- McCollum C, Amin S, Pauerstein P, Lane M. A zebrafish LMO4 ortholog limits the size of the forebrain and eyes through negative regulation of six3b and rx3. Dev Biol. 2007;309:373-85 pubmed..We propose that lmo4b has an essential role in forebrain development as a modulator of six3 and rx3 expression, and thus indirectly influences neural cell fate commitment, cell proliferation and tissue growth in the anterior CNS. ..
- Bhatia S, Monahan J, Ravi V, Gautier P, Murdoch E, Brenner S, et al. A survey of ancient conserved non-coding elements in the PAX6 locus reveals a landscape of interdigitated cis-regulatory archipelagos. Dev Biol. 2014;387:214-28 pubmed publisher..Remarkable overlap in expression patterns driven by sets of agCNEs indicates that PAX6 resides in a landscape of multiple tissue-specific regulatory archipelagos. ..
- Mullally M, Albrecht C, Horton M, Laboissonniere L, Goetz J, Chowdhury R, et al. Expression Profiling of Developing Zebrafish Retinal Cells. Zebrafish. 2016;13:272-80 pubmed publisher..Further analysis of these profiles will reveal genes that can be mutated using genome editing techniques. Together these studies increase our knowledge of the genes driving development of different cell types in the zebrafish retina. ..
- Zhang S, Mu Z, He C, Zhou M, Liu D, Zhao X, et al. Antiviral Drug Ganciclovir Is a Potent Inhibitor of the Proliferation of Müller Glia-Derived Progenitors During Zebrafish Retinal Regeneration. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2016;57:1991-2000 pubmed publisher..Our study uncovered a novel inhibitory effect of GCV on MGPC proliferation and suggests its potential use as a tool to uncover molecular mechanisms underlying retinal regeneration in zebrafish. ..
- Lee J, Anholt R, Cole G. Olfactomedin-2 mediates development of the anterior central nervous system and head structures in zebrafish. Mech Dev. 2008;125:167-81 pubmed..Our studies show that this member of the olfactomedin protein family is an important regulator of development of the anterior nervous system. ..
- Hans S, Westerfield M. Changes in retinoic acid signaling alter otic patterning. Development. 2007;134:2449-58 pubmed..Thus, excess RA expands otic competence, whereas the loss of RA impairs the expression of fgf3 and wnt8b in the hindbrain, compromising the induction and maintenance of otic fate. ..
- Durr K, Holzschuh J, Filippi A, Ettl A, Ryu S, Shepherd I, et al. Differential roles of transcriptional mediator complex subunits Crsp34/Med27, Crsp150/Med14 and Trap100/Med24 during zebrafish retinal development. Genetics. 2006;174:693-705 pubmed
- Lunt S, Haynes T, Perkins B. Zebrafish ift57, ift88, and ift172 intraflagellar transport mutants disrupt cilia but do not affect hedgehog signaling. Dev Dyn. 2009;238:1744-59 pubmed publisher..Thus, our data indicate the requirement for cilia in the Hh signal transduction pathway may not represent a universal mechanism in vertebrates. ..
- Williams A, Eason J, Chawla B, Bohnsack B. Cyp1b1 Regulates Ocular Fissure Closure Through a Retinoic Acid-Independent Pathway. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2017;58:1084-1097 pubmed publisher..Cyp1b1 overexpression also inhibited the ocular expression of vsx2, pax6a, and pax6b and increased the extraocular expression of shha...
- Chaplin N, Tendeng C, Wingate R. Absence of an external germinal layer in zebrafish and shark reveals a distinct, anamniote ground plan of cerebellum development. J Neurosci. 2010;30:3048-57 pubmed publisher..We show that these anamniotes share a common ground plan of granule cell production that does not include an external germinal layer. ..
- Deml B, Kariminejad A, Borujerdi R, Muheisen S, Reis L, Semina E. Mutations in MAB21L2 result in ocular Coloboma, microcornea and cataracts. PLoS Genet. 2015;11:e1005002 pubmed publisher..These findings support the identification of MAB21L2 as a novel factor involved in human coloboma and highlight the power of genome editing manipulation in model organisms for analysis of the effects of whole exome variation in humans. ..
- Powell C, Elsaeidi F, Goldman D. Injury-dependent Müller glia and ganglion cell reprogramming during tissue regeneration requires Apobec2a and Apobec2b. J Neurosci. 2012;32:1096-109 pubmed publisher..These data identify an essential role for Apobec proteins during retina and optic nerve regeneration and suggest DNA demethylation may underlie the reprogramming of cells to mount a regenerative response. ..
- Ninkovic J, Tallafuss A, Leucht C, Topczewski J, Tannhäuser B, Solnica Krezel L, et al. Inhibition of neurogenesis at the zebrafish midbrain-hindbrain boundary by the combined and dose-dependent activity of a new hairy/E(spl) gene pair. Development. 2005;132:75-88 pubmed..We propose a molecular mechanism for this process where the global 'Him+Her5' activity inhibits ngn1 expression in a dose-dependent manner and through different sensitivity thresholds along the medio-lateral axis of the neural plate. ..
- Chung H, Chang C, Young H, Hu S, Tzou W, Hu C. Ethanol inhibits retinal and CNS differentiation due to failure of cell cycle exit via an apoptosis-independent pathway. Neurotoxicol Teratol. 2013;38:92-103 pubmed publisher..markers elavl3/huC, rho, and crx; in addition, expression of the neural and retinal progenitor markers ascl1b and pax6b was maintained at the undifferentiated stage, indicating that retinal and CNS neural progenitor cells failed to ..
- Schlueter P, Royer T, Farah M, Laser B, Chan S, Steiner D, et al. Gene duplication and functional divergence of the zebrafish insulin-like growth factor 1 receptors. FASEB J. 2006;20:1230-2 pubmed
- Levic D, Minkel J, Wang W, Rybski W, Melville D, Knapik E. Animal model of Sar1b deficiency presents lipid absorption deficits similar to Anderson disease. J Mol Med (Berl). 2015;93:165-76 pubmed publisher..Key messages: Sar1b depletion phenotype in zebrafish resembles Anderson disease deficits. Sar1b deficiency results in multi-organ developmental deficits. Sar1b is required for dietary cholesterol uptake into enterocytes. ..
- McMahon C, Semina E, Link B. Using zebrafish to study the complex genetics of glaucoma. Comp Biochem Physiol C Toxicol Pharmacol. 2004;138:343-50 pubmed..With zebrafish, forward and reverse genetic approaches can be combined in order to identify critical genetic interactions required for normal and pathological events in the development and maintenance of the eye. ..
- Flasse L, Pirson J, Stern D, Von Berg V, Manfroid I, Peers B, et al. Ascl1b and Neurod1, instead of Neurog3, control pancreatic endocrine cell fate in zebrafish. BMC Biol. 2013;11:78 pubmed publisher..It is repressed by Notch signaling that prevents pancreatic cell differentiation by maintaining precursors in an undifferentiated state...
- Santos J, Fonseca N, Vieira C, Vieira J, Casares F. Phylogeny of the teashirt-related zinc finger (tshz) gene family and analysis of the developmental expression of tshz2 and tshz3b in the zebrafish. Dev Dyn. 2010;239:1010-8 pubmed publisher..1, meis2.2, pax6a, and pax6b expression patterns...