Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: pax2a
Description: paired box 2a
Alias: PAXZF-B, Pax-2, cb378, noi, pax-b, pax2.1, pax2a1, pax[zf-b], paxb, paired box protein Pax-2a, no isthmus protein, paired box gene 2.1, paired box gene 2a, paired box homeotic gene 2a
- Phillips B, Kwon H, Melton C, Houghtaling P, Fritz A, Riley B. Zebrafish msxB, msxC and msxE function together to refine the neural-nonneural border and regulate cranial placodes and neural crest development. Dev Biol. 2006;294:376-90 pubmed..These data suggest that mutual antagonism between Msx and Dlx proteins achieves a balance of function required for normal preplacodal differentiation and placement of the neural-nonneural border. ..
- Kawakami A, Nojima Y, Toyoda A, Takahoko M, Satoh M, Tanaka H, et al. The zebrafish-secreted matrix protein you/scube2 is implicated in long-range regulation of hedgehog signaling. Curr Biol. 2005;15:480-8 pubmed..We further show that Bmp activity can be attenuated by the coexpression of Scube2. Our data support the idea that Scube2 can modulate the long-range action of Bmp-dependent signaling in the neural tube and somites. ..
- Tena J, Neto A, de la Calle Mustienes E, Bras Pereira C, Casares F, Gomez Skarmeta J. Odd-skipped genes encode repressors that control kidney development. Dev Biol. 2007;301:518-31 pubmed..Our results highlight the evolutionary conserved involvement of Odd-skipped transcription factors in the development of kidneys. ..
- Hernandez R, Rikhof H, Bachmann R, Moens C. vhnf1 integrates global RA patterning and local FGF signals to direct posterior hindbrain development in zebrafish. Development. 2004;131:4511-20 pubmed..The different requirements for vhnf1 and val to repress hoxb1a and ephrin-B2a, respectively, demonstrate that not all aspects of an individual rhombomere's identity are regulated coordinately. ..
- Tucker J, Mintzer K, Mullins M. The BMP signaling gradient patterns dorsoventral tissues in a temporally progressive manner along the anteroposterior axis. Dev Cell. 2008;14:108-19 pubmed publisher..We propose that a temporal cue regulates a cell's competence to respond to BMP signaling, allowing the acquisition of a cell's DV and AP identity simultaneously. ..
- Sun S, Dee C, Tripathi V, Rengifo A, Hirst C, Scotting P. Epibranchial and otic placodes are induced by a common Fgf signal, but their subsequent development is independent. Dev Biol. 2007;303:675-86 pubmed
- Burckle C, Gaudé H, Vesque C, Silbermann F, Salomon R, Jeanpierre C, et al. Control of the Wnt pathways by nephrocystin-4 is required for morphogenesis of the zebrafish pronephros. Hum Mol Genet. 2011;20:2611-27 pubmed publisher..Moreover, they highlight common signalling functions for inversin and nephrocystin-4, suggesting that these two nephrocystins are involved in common physiopathological mechanisms. ..
- Leitch C, Zaghloul N, Davis E, Stoetzel C, Diaz Font A, Rix S, et al. Hypomorphic mutations in syndromic encephalocele genes are associated with Bardet-Biedl syndrome. Nat Genet. 2008;40:443-8 pubmed publisher..These data extend the genetic stratification of ciliopathies and suggest that BBS and MKS, although distinct clinically, are allelic forms of the same molecular spectrum...
- Gibert Y, Gajewski A, Meyer A, Begemann G. Induction and prepatterning of the zebrafish pectoral fin bud requires axial retinoic acid signaling. Development. 2006;133:2649-59 pubmed..Thus, RA signaling from flanking somites plays a dual early role in the condensing limb bud mesenchyme. ..
- Lee J, Willer J, Willer G, Smith K, Gregg R, Gross J. Zebrafish blowout provides genetic evidence for Patched1-mediated negative regulation of Hedgehog signaling within the proximal optic vesicle of the vertebrate eye. Dev Biol. 2008;319:10-22 pubmed publisher..The expression domain of the proximal optic vesicle marker pax2a is expanded in blowout at the expense of the distal optic vesicle marker pax6, suggesting that the initial ..
- Thorpe C, Weidinger G, Moon R. Wnt/beta-catenin regulation of the Sp1-related transcription factor sp5l promotes tail development in zebrafish. Development. 2005;132:1763-72 pubmed..These data place sp5l downstream of wnt3a and wnt8 in a Wnt/beta-catenin signaling pathway that controls tail development in zebrafish. ..
- Hernandez R, Putzke A, Myers J, Margaretha L, Moens C. Cyp26 enzymes generate the retinoic acid response pattern necessary for hindbrain development. Development. 2007;134:177-87 pubmed..We present a ;gradient-free' model for hindbrain patterning in which differential RA responsiveness along the hindbrain anterior-posterior axis is shaped primarily by the dynamic expression of RA-degrading enzymes. ..
- Davidson A, Zon L. The caudal-related homeobox genes cdx1a and cdx4 act redundantly to regulate hox gene expression and the formation of putative hematopoietic stem cells during zebrafish embryogenesis. Dev Biol. 2006;292:506-18 pubmed..Taken together, these results suggest that the cdx-hox pathway plays an essential role in the formation of both embryonic erythroid cells and definitive HSCs during vertebrate embryogenesis. ..
- Nikaido M, Doi K, Shimizu T, Hibi M, Kikuchi Y, Yamasu K. Initial specification of the epibranchial placode in zebrafish embryos depends on the fibroblast growth factor signal. Dev Dyn. 2007;236:564-71 pubmed..is referred to here as the early lateral placode, is segregated during the early phase of segmentation to form a pax2a-positive medial area and a pax2a-negative lateral area...
- Scholpp S, Groth C, Lohs C, Lardelli M, Brand M. Zebrafish fgfr1 is a member of the fgf8 synexpression group and is required for fgf8 signalling at the midbrain-hindbrain boundary. Dev Genes Evol. 2004;214:285-95 pubmed..The expression patterns of fgfr1 and fgf8 are strikingly similar and knock-down of fgfr1 phenocopies many aspects observed in the fgf8 mutant acerebellar, suggesting that Fgf8 exerts its function mainly by binding to FgfR1. ..
- Pittman A, Law M, Chien C. Pathfinding in a large vertebrate axon tract: isotypic interactions guide retinotectal axons at multiple choice points. Development. 2008;135:2865-71 pubmed publisher..We conclude that axon-axon interactions and ligand-receptor signaling have co-equal roles, cooperating to ensure the fidelity of axon guidance in developing vertebrate tracts. ..
- Riley B, Sweet E, Heck R, Evans A, McFarland K, Warga R, et al. Characterization of harpy/Rca1/emi1 mutants: patterning in the absence of cell division. Dev Dyn. 2010;239:828-43 pubmed publisher..Despite relatively normal gross patterning, harpy mutants show several defects in morphogenesis, cell migration and differentiation resulting directly or indirectly from the arrest of cell division. ..
- Alt B, Reibe S, Feitosa N, Elsalini O, Wendl T, Rohr K. Analysis of origin and growth of the thyroid gland in zebrafish. Dev Dyn. 2006;235:1872-83 pubmed..Mosaic analysis suggests that the first thyroid follicle differentiating at 55 hours postfertilization corresponds later to the most anterior follicle and that new follicles are added caudally. ..
- O Brien L, Grimaldi M, Kostun Z, Wingert R, Selleck R, Davidson A. Wt1a, Foxc1a, and the Notch mediator Rbpj physically interact and regulate the formation of podocytes in zebrafish. Dev Biol. 2011;358:318-30 pubmed publisher..These findings further our understanding of the transcriptional circuitry responsible for podocyte formation and differentiation during kidney development. ..
- Ota S, Tonou Fujimori N, Nakayama Y, Ito Y, Kawamura A, Yamasu K. FGF receptor gene expression and its regulation by FGF signaling during early zebrafish development. Genesis. 2010;48:707-16 pubmed publisher..1/fgf8a mutants, we found that fgfr expression is directly or indirectly regulated by FGF signaling during epiboly and at the end of somitogenesis, revealing the presence of an autoregulatory mechanism. ..
- Chou C, Chen Y, Lee M, Chen G, Lu I, Chen S, et al. Expression and characterization of a brain-specific protein kinase BSK146 from zebrafish. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2006;340:767-75 pubmed
- Erickson T, French C, Waskiewicz A. Meis1 specifies positional information in the retina and tectum to organize the zebrafish visual system. Neural Dev. 2010;5:22 pubmed publisher..By patterning both the retina and tectum, Meis1 plays an important role in establishing the retinotectal map and organizing the visual system. ..
- Emond M, Biswas S, Jontes J. Protocadherin-19 is essential for early steps in brain morphogenesis. Dev Biol. 2009;334:72-83 pubmed publisher..These results provide the first functional data for protocadherin-19, demonstrating an essential role in early brain development. ..
- Esterberg R, Fritz A. dlx3b/4b are required for the formation of the preplacodal region and otic placode through local modulation of BMP activity. Dev Biol. 2009;325:189-99 pubmed publisher..Our results provide insight into the mechanisms of PPR specification as well as the role of dlx3b/4b function in PPR and otic placode induction. ..
- Tse W, You M, Ho S, Jiang Y. The deubiquitylating enzyme Cops6 regulates different developmental processes during early zebrafish embryogenesis. Int J Dev Biol. 2011;55:19-24 pubmed publisher..Overall, the present study that consolidates our previous work on zebrafish DUB genes, corroborates the hypothesis of multi-functional roles for DUB genes during development. ..
- Kubota F, Murakami T, Mogi K, Yorifuji H. Cadherin-6 is required for zebrafish nephrogenesis during early development. Int J Dev Biol. 2007;51:123-9 pubmed..These results suggest that cdh6 plays pivotal roles in the development of the pronephros in zebrafish embryos. ..
- Martinez Morales J, Del Bene F, Nica G, Hammerschmidt M, Bovolenta P, Wittbrodt J. Differentiation of the vertebrate retina is coordinated by an FGF signaling center. Dev Cell. 2005;8:565-74 pubmed..The concerted activity of Fgf8 and Fgf3 is both necessary and sufficient to coordinate retinal differentiation independent of the connecting optic stalk. ..
- Lee J, Cox B, Daly C, Lee C, Nuckels R, Tittle R, et al. An ENU mutagenesis screen in zebrafish for visual system mutants identifies a novel splice-acceptor site mutation in patched2 that results in Colobomas. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2012;53:8214-21 pubmed publisher..We have identified 18 recessive mutations affecting development of the zebrafish visual system and we have characterized a novel splice-acceptor site mutation in patched2 that results in enhanced Hh pathway activity and colobomas. ..
- Liu C, Garnaas M, Tin A, Kottgen A, Franceschini N, Peralta C, et al. Genetic association for renal traits among participants of African ancestry reveals new loci for renal function. PLoS Genet. 2011;7:e1002264 pubmed publisher..We identified several SNPs in association with eGFR in African Ancestry individuals, as well as 3 suggestive loci for UACR and eGFR. Functional genetic studies support a role for kcnq1 in glomerular development in zebrafish. ..
- Jopling C, Hertog J. Essential role for Csk upstream of Fyn and Yes in zebrafish gastrulation. Mech Dev. 2007;124:129-36 pubmed..The Csk knock down phenotype was rescued by simultaneous partial knock down of Fyn and Yes. We conclude that Csk acts upstream of Fyn and Yes to control vertebrate gastrulation cell movements. ..
- Chow E, Hui M, Lin C, Cheng S. Cadmium inhibits neurogenesis in zebrafish embryonic brain development. Aquat Toxicol. 2008;87:157-69 pubmed publisher..Our data suggest that cadmium-induced neurotoxicity can be caused by impaired neurogenesis, resulting in markedly reduced neuronal differentiation and axonogenesis. ..
- Pyati U, Webb A, Kimelman D. Transgenic zebrafish reveal stage-specific roles for Bmp signaling in ventral and posterior mesoderm development. Development. 2005;132:2333-43 pubmed..We conclude that the role of Bmp signaling in the ventral and posterior mesoderm changes as gastrulation proceeds. ..
- Weiser D, Pyati U, Kimelman D. Gravin regulates mesodermal cell behavior changes required for axis elongation during zebrafish gastrulation. Genes Dev. 2007;21:1559-71 pubmed
- Quick R, Dunlap J, Jessen J. Expression analysis of zebrafish membrane type-2 matrix metalloproteinases during embryonic development. Gene Expr Patterns. 2012;12:254-60 pubmed publisher..Our data thus provide a foundation for uncovering the role of Mmp15-dependent pericellular proteolysis during zebrafish embryonic development. ..
- Dooley K, Davidson A, Zon L. Zebrafish scl functions independently in hematopoietic and endothelial development. Dev Biol. 2005;277:522-36 pubmed..Surprisingly, in cloche, lmo2 was not induced in response to scl over-expression. Taken together, these findings support distinct roles for scl in hematopoietic and endothelial development, downstream of hemangioblast development. ..
- Little S, Mullins M. Twisted gastrulation promotes BMP signaling in zebrafish dorsal-ventral axial patterning. Development. 2004;131:5825-35 pubmed..Our results support a model in which zebrafish Tsg1 promotes BMP signaling, and thus ventral cell fates, during DV axial patterning. ..
- Wood A, Schlueter P, Duan C. Targeted knockdown of insulin-like growth factor binding protein-2 disrupts cardiovascular development in zebrafish embryos. Mol Endocrinol. 2005;19:1024-34 pubmed..These findings suggest that IGFBP-2 is required for general embryonic development and growth and plays a local role in regulating vascular development in a model vertebrate organism. ..
- Cavodeassi F, Carreira Barbosa F, Young R, Concha M, Allende M, Houart C, et al. Early stages of zebrafish eye formation require the coordinated activity of Wnt11, Fz5, and the Wnt/beta-catenin pathway. Neuron. 2005;47:43-56 pubmed
- Wei W, Wen L, Huang P, Zhang Z, Chen Y, Xiao A, et al. Gfi1.1 regulates hematopoietic lineage differentiation during zebrafish embryogenesis. Cell Res. 2008;18:677-85 pubmed publisher..1 plays a critical role in regulating the balance of embryonic erythroid and myeloid lineage determination, and is also required for the differentiation of lymphocytes and granulocytes during zebrafish embryogenesis. ..
- Erickson T, Scholpp S, Brand M, Moens C, Waskiewicz A. Pbx proteins cooperate with Engrailed to pattern the midbrain-hindbrain and diencephalic-mesencephalic boundaries. Dev Biol. 2007;301:504-17 pubmed..Embryos lacking Pbx function correctly initiate midbrain patterning, but fail to maintain eng2a, pax2a, fgf8, gbx2, and wnt1 expression at the MHB...
- Sun Z, Jin P, Tian T, Gu Y, Chen Y, Meng A. Activation and roles of ALK4/ALK7-mediated maternal TGFbeta signals in zebrafish embryo. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2006;345:694-703 pubmed
- Kwak S, Vemaraju S, Moorman S, Zeddies D, Popper A, Riley B. Zebrafish pax5 regulates development of the utricular macula and vestibular function. Dev Dyn. 2006;235:3026-38 pubmed..Hair cells in the saccule develop and survive normally. Otic expression of pax5 requires pax2a and fgf3, mutations in which cause vestibular defects, albeit by distinct mechanisms...
- Kaji T, Artinger K. dlx3b and dlx4b function in the development of Rohon-Beard sensory neurons and trigeminal placode in the zebrafish neurula. Dev Biol. 2004;276:523-40 pubmed..These data suggest that the contribution of dlx3b and dlx4b to neural plate border formation is partially non-cell-autonomous acting via BMP activity. ..
- Hughes I, Blasiole B, Huss D, Warchol M, Rath N, Hurle B, et al. Otopetrin 1 is required for otolith formation in the zebrafish Danio rerio. Dev Biol. 2004;276:391-402 pubmed..These studies demonstrate that Otop1 has an essential and conserved role in the timing of formation and the size and shape of the developing otolith...
- Jopling C, van Geemen D, den Hertog J. Shp2 knockdown and Noonan/LEOPARD mutant Shp2-induced gastrulation defects. PLoS Genet. 2007;3:e225 pubmed..The finding that defective Shp2 signaling induced cell movement defects as early as gastrulation may have implications for the monitoring and diagnosis of Noonan and LEOPARD syndrome...
- de Groh E, Swanhart L, Cosentino C, Jackson R, Dai W, Kitchens C, et al. Inhibition of histone deacetylase expands the renal progenitor cell population. J Am Soc Nephrol. 2010;21:794-802 pubmed publisher..In summary, these results support a mechanistic link among renal progenitor cells, HDAC, and the retinoid pathway. Whether PTBA holds promise as a therapeutic agent to promote renal regeneration requires further study. ..
- Sanek N, Taylor A, Nyholm M, Grinblat Y. Zebrafish zic2a patterns the forebrain through modulation of Hedgehog-activated gene expression. Development. 2009;136:3791-800 pubmed publisher..We show that zebrafish Zic2a limits transcription of the Hh targets pax2a and fgf8a in the OS and retina...
- Padanad M, Riley B. Pax2/8 proteins coordinate sequential induction of otic and epibranchial placodes through differential regulation of foxi1, sox3 and fgf24. Dev Biol. 2011;351:90-8 pubmed publisher..Subsequently, pax8 works with related genes pax2a/pax2b to downregulate otic expression of foxi1, a necessary step for further otic development...
- Hans S, Irmscher A, Brand M. Zebrafish Foxi1 provides a neuronal ground state during inner ear induction preceding the Dlx3b/4b-regulated sensory lineage. Development. 2013;140:1936-45 pubmed publisher..Thus, in addition to otic fate Foxi1 provides neuronal competence during OEPD induction prior to and independently of the Dlx3b/4b-mediated sensory fate of the developing inner ear. ..
- Crump J, Maves L, Lawson N, Weinstein B, Kimmel C. An essential role for Fgfs in endodermal pouch formation influences later craniofacial skeletal patterning. Development. 2004;131:5703-16 pubmed..Moreover, we argue that the Fgf-dependent morphogenesis of the pharyngeal endoderm into pouches is critical for the later patterning of pharyngeal cartilages. ..
- Zhou J, Li W, Kamei H, Duan C. Duplication of the IGFBP-2 gene in teleost fish: protein structure and functionality conservation and gene expression divergence. PLoS ONE. 2008;3:e3926 pubmed publisher..The duplicated IGFBP-2 genes may provide additional flexibility in the regulation of IGF activities. ..
- Nakayama Y, Miyake A, Nakagawa Y, Mido T, Yoshikawa M, Konishi M, et al. Fgf19 is required for zebrafish lens and retina development. Dev Biol. 2008;313:752-66 pubmed..Knockdown of Fgf19 also caused incorrect axon pathfinding. The present findings indicate that Fgf19 positively regulates the patterning and growth of the retina, and the differentiation and growth of the lens in zebrafish. ..
- Nechiporuk A, Linbo T, Poss K, Raible D. Specification of epibranchial placodes in zebrafish. Development. 2007;134:611-23 pubmed..show that zebrafish embryos mutant for fgf3 and fgf8 do not express early EB placode markers, including foxi1 and pax2a. Mosaic analysis demonstrates that placodal cells must directly receive Fgf signals during a specific crucial ..
- Bricaud O, Collazo A. The transcription factor six1 inhibits neuronal and promotes hair cell fate in the developing zebrafish (Danio rerio) inner ear. J Neurosci. 2006;26:10438-51 pubmed..Our results are the first to demonstrate a dual role for a member of the Pax-Six-Eya-Dach regulatory network in inner ear development. ..
- Dente L, Gestri G, Tsang M, Kudoh T, Wilson S, Dawid I, et al. Cloning and developmental expression of zebrafish pdzrn3. Int J Dev Biol. 2011;55:989-93 pubmed publisher..In particular, the absence of expression of pdzrn3 in the ventral retina of noi mutant fish suggests a possible role for this gene in regulating fasciculation and/or navigation of retinal ..
- Yu P, Hong C, Sachidanandan C, Babitt J, Deng D, Hoyng S, et al. Dorsomorphin inhibits BMP signals required for embryogenesis and iron metabolism. Nat Chem Biol. 2008;4:33-41 pubmed..These findings suggest an essential physiological role for hepatic BMP signaling in iron-hepcidin homeostasis. ..
- Gerdes J, Liu Y, Zaghloul N, Leitch C, Lawson S, Kato M, et al. Disruption of the basal body compromises proteasomal function and perturbs intracellular Wnt response. Nat Genet. 2007;39:1350-60 pubmed
- Del Giacco L, Sordino P, Pistocchi A, Andreakis N, Tarallo R, Di Benedetto B, et al. Differential regulation of the zebrafish orthopedia 1 gene during fate determination of diencephalic neurons. BMC Dev Biol. 2006;6:50 pubmed..Furthermore, our data indicate that morphogenetic mechanisms differentially regulate otp1 expression in alar and basal plates. ..
- Mackereth M, Kwak S, Fritz A, Riley B. Zebrafish pax8 is required for otic placode induction and plays a redundant role with Pax2 genes in the maintenance of the otic placode. Development. 2005;132:371-82 pubmed..Disrupting pax8, pax2a and pax2b did not further impair otic induction relative to loss of pax8 alone...
- Znosko W, Yu S, Thomas K, Molina G, Li C, Tsang W, et al. Overlapping functions of Pea3 ETS transcription factors in FGF signaling during zebrafish development. Dev Biol. 2010;342:11-25 pubmed publisher..We further demonstrated the interaction of Pea3 ETS factors with the Dusp6 promoter both in vitro and in vivo. These results revealed the requirement of ETS factors in transducing FGF signals in developmental processes. ..
- Zaghloul N, Liu Y, Gerdes J, Gascue C, Oh E, Leitch C, et al. Functional analyses of variants reveal a significant role for dominant negative and common alleles in oligogenic Bardet-Biedl syndrome. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2010;107:10602-7 pubmed publisher..Importantly, superimposition of these results to human genetics data suggests a previously underappreciated complexity in disease architecture that might be shared among diverse clinical phenotypes. ..
- Hagos E, Dougan S. Time-dependent patterning of the mesoderm and endoderm by Nodal signals in zebrafish. BMC Dev Biol. 2007;7:22 pubmed
- Zhu S, Liu L, Korzh V, Gong Z, Low B. RhoA acts downstream of Wnt5 and Wnt11 to regulate convergence and extension movements by involving effectors Rho kinase and Diaphanous: use of zebrafish as an in vivo model for GTPase signaling. Cell Signal. 2006;18:359-72 pubmed..These findings also support the versatility of the zebrafish as a model to further investigate the roles of various classes of small GTPases in regulating cell dynamics in vivo. ..
- Khanna H, Davis E, Murga Zamalloa C, Estrada Cuzcano A, Lopez I, den Hollander A, et al. A common allele in RPGRIP1L is a modifier of retinal degeneration in ciliopathies. Nat Genet. 2009;41:739-45 pubmed publisher..Our data represent an example of modification of a discrete phenotype of syndromic disease and highlight the importance of a multifaceted approach for the discovery of modifier alleles of intermediate frequency and effect. ..
- Mercader N, Fischer S, Neumann C. Prdm1 acts downstream of a sequential RA, Wnt and Fgf signaling cascade during zebrafish forelimb induction. Development. 2006;133:2805-15 pubmed..tbx5 is required for Fgf signaling in the limb bud leading to activation of prdm1 expression, which in turn is required for downstream activation of fgf10 expression. ..
- Maves L, Kimmel C. Dynamic and sequential patterning of the zebrafish posterior hindbrain by retinoic acid. Dev Biol. 2005;285:593-605 pubmed..Our results support a new model of dynamic RA action in the hindbrain, in which a temporally increasing source of RA is required to sequentially initiate progressively more posterior rhombomere identities...
- Diekmann H, Stuermer C. Zebrafish neurolin-a and -b, orthologs of ALCAM, are involved in retinal ganglion cell differentiation and retinal axon pathfinding. J Comp Neurol. 2009;513:38-50 pubmed publisher..Without Neurolin-b, RGC axons grow in highly aberrant routes along the optic tract and/or fail to reach the optic tectum. Thus, the zebrafish Neurolin paralogs are involved in distinct steps of retinotectal development. ..
- Waxman J, Yelon D. Increased Hox activity mimics the teratogenic effects of excess retinoic acid signaling. Dev Dyn. 2009;238:1207-13 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that Hox activity mediates the differential effects of ectopic RA on atrial and ventricular cardiomyocytes and may underlie the teratogenic effects of RA on the heart. ..