Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: oxt
Alias: IT-NP, fj33a01, itnp, oxtl, wu:fj33a01, wu:fq40d10, oxytocin-neurophysin 1, isotocin neurophysin
- Wong R, Oxendine S, Godwin J. Behavioral and neurogenomic transcriptome changes in wild-derived zebrafish with fluoxetine treatment. BMC Genomics. 2013;14:348 pubmed publisher..This study provides data that could help identify common molecular mechanisms of fluoxetine action across animal taxa. ..
- Fujimoto E, Stevenson T, Chien C, Bonkowsky J. Identification of a dopaminergic enhancer indicates complexity in vertebrate dopamine neuron phenotype specification. Dev Biol. 2011;352:393-404 pubmed publisher..We conclude that regulation of dopaminergic neuron phenotype in vertebrates is regulated by dispersed regulatory elements. ..
- Eaton J, Glasgow E. The zebrafish bHLH PAS transcriptional regulator, single-minded 1 (sim1), is required for isotocin cell development. Dev Dyn. 2006;235:2071-82 pubmed..We provide evidence that the role of sim1 in zebrafish neuroendocrine cell development is evolutionarily conserved with that of mammals. ..
- Herzog W, Sonntag C, Walderich B, Odenthal J, Maischein H, Hammerschmidt M. Genetic analysis of adenohypophysis formation in zebrafish. Mol Endocrinol. 2004;18:1185-95 pubmed..Positional cloning of the lia, pia, and aal genes might reveal novel regulators of vertebrate pituitary development. ..
- Eaton J, Holmqvist B, Glasgow E. Ontogeny of vasotocin-expressing cells in zebrafish: selective requirement for the transcriptional regulators orthopedia and single-minded 1 in the preoptic area. Dev Dyn. 2008;237:995-1005 pubmed publisher..In contrast, otp and sim1 are not required for avt expression in the ventral hypothalamus. Thus, the development of these two avt expression domains is influenced by separate gene regulatory networks. ..
- Herget U, Wolf A, Wullimann M, Ryu S. Molecular neuroanatomy and chemoarchitecture of the neurosecretory preoptic-hypothalamic area in zebrafish larvae. J Comp Neurol. 2014;522:1542-64 pubmed publisher..the locations of cells producing zebrafish neuropeptides found in the mammalian PVN (CCK, CRH, ENK, NTS, SS, VIP, OXT, AVP), we provide the first 3D arrangement map of NPO neuropeptides in the larval zebrafish brain...
- Gorissen M, Manuel R, Pelgrim T, Mes W, de Wolf M, Zethof J, et al. Differences in inhibitory avoidance, cortisol and brain gene expression in TL and AB zebrafish. Genes Brain Behav. 2015;14:428-38 pubmed publisher..We conclude that AB fish show higher cortisol levels and no inhibitory avoidance than TL fish. The differential learning responses of these Danio strains may unmask genetically defined risks for stress-related disorders. ..
- Koch P, LÃ¶hr H, Driever W. A mutation in cnot8, component of the Ccr4-not complex regulating transcript stability, affects expression levels of developmental regulators and reveals a role of Fgf3 in development of caudal hypothalamic dopaminergic neurons. PLoS ONE. 2014;9:e113829 pubmed publisher..Our data indicate that attenuation of Cnot8 activity differentially affects mRNA levels of developmental control genes. ..
- Manoli M, Driever W. nkx2.1 and nkx2.4 genes function partially redundant during development of the zebrafish hypothalamus, preoptic region, and pallidum. Front Neuroanat. 2014;8:145 pubmed publisher..neurosecretory neuron types, including avp, crh, and pomc expressing cells in the hypothalamus, but still form oxt neurons in the preoptic region. Our data reveals that, while nkx2.1, nkx2.4a, and nkx2...
- Gutnick A, Blechman J, Kaslin J, Herwig L, Belting H, Affolter M, et al. The hypothalamic neuropeptide oxytocin is required for formation of the neurovascular interface of the pituitary. Dev Cell. 2011;21:642-54 pubmed publisher..We present a unique example of axons affecting endothelial morphogenesis through secretion of a neuropeptide. ..
- Herget U, Gutierrez Triana J, Salazar Thula O, Knerr B, Ryu S. Single-Cell Reconstruction of Oxytocinergic Neurons Reveals Separate Hypophysiotropic and Encephalotropic Subtypes in Larval Zebrafish. Eneuro. 2017;4: pubmed publisher..Further, our results reveal that complex oxytocinergic innervation patterns are already established in the larval zebrafish brain. ..
- Kurrasch D, Nevin L, Wong J, Baier H, Ingraham H. Neuroendocrine transcriptional programs adapt dynamically to the supply and demand for neuropeptides as revealed in NSF mutant zebrafish. Neural Dev. 2009;4:22 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, oxytocin-like (oxtl, intp) transcripts, which are found in osmoreceptive neurons and persist in mutant zebrafish, drop precipitously ..
- Kasher P, Schertz K, Thomas M, Jackson A, Annunziata S, Ballesta Martinez M, et al. Small 6q16.1 Deletions Encompassing POU3F2 Cause Susceptibility to Obesity and Variable Developmental Delay with Intellectual Disability. Am J Hum Genet. 2016;98:363-72 pubmed publisher..Our work helps to further delineate the neuro-endocrine control of energy balance/body mass and demonstrates that this molecular pathway is conserved across multiple species. ..
- Choi H, Calvert C, Husain N, Huss D, Barsi J, Deverman B, et al. Mapping a multiplexed zoo of mRNA expression. Development. 2016;143:3632-3637 pubmed
- Wircer E, Blechman J, Borodovsky N, Tsoory M, Nunes A, Oliveira R, et al. Homeodomain protein Otp affects developmental neuropeptide switching in oxytocin neurons associated with a long-term effect on social behavior. elife. 2017;6: pubmed publisher..These behavioral phenotypes were associated with developmental alterations in oxytocinergic (OXT) neurons...
- Slade L, Cowie A, Martyniuk C, Kienesberger P, Pulinilkunnil T. Dieldrin Augments mTOR Signaling and Regulates Genes Associated with Cardiovascular Disease in the Adult Zebrafish Heart (Danio rerio). J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 2017;361:375-385 pubmed publisher..Our data demonstrate that dieldrin induces genes associated with cardiovascular dysfunction and compromised lysosomal physiology, thereby identifying a novel mechanism for pesticide-induced cardiotoxicity. ..
- Blanchet P, Bebin M, Bruet S, Cooper G, Thompson M, Duban Bedu B, et al. MYT1L mutations cause intellectual disability and variable obesity by dysregulating gene expression and development of the neuroendocrine hypothalamus. PLoS Genet. 2017;13:e1006957 pubmed publisher..This study demonstrates that MYT1L variants are associated with syndromic obesity in humans. The mechanism is related to dysregulated expression of neurodevelopmental genes and altered development of the neuroendocrine hypothalamus. ..
- Coffey C, Solleveld P, Fang J, Roberts A, Hong S, Dawid I, et al. Novel oxytocin gene expression in the hindbrain is induced by alcohol exposure: transgenic zebrafish enable visualization of sensitive neurons. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e53991 pubmed publisher..In transgenic embryos and larva containing GFP driven by an oxytocin-like (oxtl) promoter, ethanol exposure dramatically up-regulated GFP expression in a small group of hindbrain neurons, while ..
- Herget U, Ryu S. Coexpression analysis of nine neuropeptides in the neurosecretory preoptic area of larval zebrafish. Front Neuroanat. 2015;9:2 pubmed publisher..AVP), corticotropin-releasing hormone (CRH), proenkephalin a (penka)/b (penkb), neurotensin (NTS), oxytocin (OXT), vasoactive intestinal peptide (VIP), cholecystokinin (CCK), and somatostatin (SST))...
- Blechman J, Amir Zilberstein L, Gutnick A, Ben Dor S, Levkowitz G. The metabolic regulator PGC-1? directly controls the expression of the hypothalamic neuropeptide oxytocin. J Neurosci. 2011;31:14835-40 pubmed publisher..These findings demonstrate that PGC-1? is both necessary and sufficient for the production of oxytocin, implicating hypothalamic PGC-1? in the direct activation of a hypothalamic hormone known to control energy intake. ..
- Chandrasekar G, Arner A, Kitambi S, Dahlman Wright K, Lendahl M. Developmental toxicity of the environmental pollutant 4-nonylphenol in zebrafish. Neurotoxicol Teratol. 2011;33:752-64 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that 4-NP enduringly affects the embryonic development in zebrafish and that this compound might exert these deleterious effects through diverse signaling pathways. ..
- Gorelick D, Halpern M. Visualization of estrogen receptor transcriptional activation in zebrafish. Endocrinology. 2011;152:2690-703 pubmed publisher..The transgenic estrogen-responsive zebrafish allow ER signaling to be monitored visually and serve as in vivo sentinels for detection of estrogenic compounds. ..
- Dickmeis T, Lahiri K, Nica G, Vallone D, Santoriello C, Neumann C, et al. Glucocorticoids play a key role in circadian cell cycle rhythms. PLoS Biol. 2007;5:e78 pubmed..Instead, they act in concert with a systemic signaling environment of which glucocorticoids are an essential part. ..
- Gutierrez Triana J, Herget U, Lichtner P, Castillo RamÃrez L, Ryu S. A vertebrate-conserved cis-regulatory module for targeted expression in the main hypothalamic regulatory region for the stress response. BMC Dev Biol. 2014;14:41 pubmed publisher..This region includes neurosecretory cells producing Corticotropin-releasing hormone (Crh), Oxytocin (Oxt) and Arginine vasopressin (Avp), which are key components of the stress axis...
- Schiller V, Wichmann A, Kriehuber R, Schäfers C, Fischer R, Fenske M. Transcriptome alterations in zebrafish embryos after exposure to environmental estrogens and anti-androgens can reveal endocrine disruption. Reprod Toxicol. 2013;42:210-23 pubmed publisher..This demonstrates that different mechanism of ED can be assessed already in fish embryos. ..
- Schweitzer J, Löhr H, Bonkowsky J, Hübscher K, Driever W. Sim1a and Arnt2 contribute to hypothalamo-spinal axon guidance by regulating Robo2 activity via a Robo3-dependent mechanism. Development. 2013;140:93-106 pubmed publisher..Therefore, Sim1a and Arnt2 contribute to control of lateral positioning of longitudinal hypothalamic-spinal axons by negative regulation of robo3a.1 expression, which in turn attenuates the repulsive activity of Robo2. ..
- Chen A, Chiu C, Mosser E, Kahn S, Spence R, Prober D. QRFP and Its Receptors Regulate Locomotor Activity and Sleep in Zebrafish. J Neurosci. 2016;36:1823-40 pubmed publisher..We also show that QRFP overexpression reduces locomotor activity, whereas animals that lack QRFP signaling are more active and sleep less. These results suggest that QRFP signaling participates in the hypothalamic regulation of sleep. ..
- Davis D, Doerr H, Grzelak A, Busi S, Jasarević E, Ericsson A, et al. Lactobacillus plantarum attenuates anxiety-related behavior and protects against stress-induced dysbiosis in adult zebrafish. Sci Rep. 2016;6:33726 pubmed publisher..These results underscore the influence commensal microbes have on physiological function in the host, and demonstrate bidirectional communication between the GM and the host. ..
- Kim O, Cho H, Han E, Hong T, Ariyasiri K, Choi J, et al. Zebrafish knockout of Down syndrome gene, DYRK1A, shows social impairments relevant to autism. Mol Autism. 2017;8:50 pubmed publisher..These results illustrate the functional deficiency of DYRK1A as an underlying disease mechanism for autism. We also propose simple social behavioral assays as a tool for the broader study of autism candidate genes. ..