Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: otx5
Description: orthodenticle homolog 5
Alias: cb828, orthodenticle homolog 5
- Doll C, Burkart J, Hope K, Halpern M, Gamse J. Subnuclear development of the zebrafish habenular nuclei requires ER translocon function. Dev Biol. 2011;360:44-57 pubmed publisher..Our results show that in the absence of sec61al1, an excess of precursor cells for the LsDh exit the ventricular region and differentiate, resulting in formation of bilaterally symmetric habenular nuclei. ..
- Clanton J, Hope K, Gamse J. Fgf signaling governs cell fate in the zebrafish pineal complex. Development. 2013;140:323-32 pubmed publisher..We conclude that this subset of anterior pineal complex precursors, which normally become parapineal cells, are bipotential and require Fgf8a to maintain parapineal identity and/or prevent cone identity. ..
- Kuan Y, Yu H, Moens C, Halpern M. Neuropilin asymmetry mediates a left-right difference in habenular connectivity. Development. 2007;134:857-65 pubmed..The results indicate that Sema3D acts in concert with Nrp1a to guide neurons on the left side of the brain to innervate the target nucleus differently than those on the right side. ..
- Liu Q, Frey R, Babb Clendenon S, Liu B, Francl J, Wilson A, et al. Differential expression of photoreceptor-specific genes in the retina of a zebrafish cadherin2 mutant glass onion and zebrafish cadherin4 morphants. Exp Eye Res. 2007;84:163-75 pubmed..we have analyzed expression patterns of several photoreceptor-specific genes (crx, gnat1, gnat2, irbp, otx5, rod opsin, rx1, and uv opsin) and/or a cone photoreceptor marker (zpr-1) in the retina of a zebrafish cadherin2 ..
- Appelbaum L, Anzulovich A, Baler R, Gothilf Y. Homeobox-clock protein interaction in zebrafish. A shared mechanism for pineal-specific and circadian gene expression. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:11544-51 pubmed..was found that the PCEs and E-box of the PRDM mediate a synergistic effect of the photoreceptor-specific homeobox OTX5 and rhythmically expressed clock protein heterodimer, BMAL/CLOCK, on zfaanat2 expression...
- Triqueneaux G, Thenot S, Kakizawa T, Antoch M, Safi R, Takahashi J, et al. The orphan receptor Rev-erbalpha gene is a target of the circadian clock pacemaker. J Mol Endocrinol. 2004;33:585-608 pubmed..Together these data demonstrate that CLOCK is a critical regulator of Rev-erbalpha circadian gene expression in evolutionarily distant vertebrates and suggest a role for Rev-erbalpha in the circadian clock output. ..
- Babb S, Kotradi S, Shah B, Chiappini Williamson C, Bell L, Schmeiser G, et al. Zebrafish R-cadherin (Cdh4) controls visual system development and differentiation. Dev Dyn. 2005;233:930-45 pubmed..Cdh4 is necessary for neural retina survival and differentiation, and required for normal retinotectal projection formation and tectal arborization. ..
- Gamse J, Shen Y, Thisse C, Thisse B, Raymond P, Halpern M, et al. Otx5 regulates genes that show circadian expression in the zebrafish pineal complex. Nat Genet. 2002;30:117-21 pubmed..Here we show that crx and otx5 orthologs are expressed in both the pineal organ and the asymmetrically positioned parapineal of larval zebrafish...
- Chatterjee M, Guo Q, Weber S, Scholpp S, LI J. Pax6 regulates the formation of the habenular nuclei by controlling the temporospatial expression of Shh in the diencephalon in vertebrates. BMC Biol. 2014;12:13 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, Shh mediates Pax6 function in regulating the partition of the p2 domain into the epithalamus and thalamus. ..
- Benato F, Colletti E, Skobo T, Moro E, Colombo L, Argenton F, et al. A living biosensor model to dynamically trace glucocorticoid transcriptional activity during development and adult life in zebrafish. Mol Cell Endocrinol. 2014;392:60-72 pubmed publisher..Moreover, reporter expression is sensitively and dynamically modulated by the photoperiod, thus proving that these fish are an in vivo valuable platform to explore GC responsiveness to both endogenous and exogenous stimuli. ..
- Veilleux H, van Herwerden L, Cole N, Don E, De Santis C, Dixson D, et al. Otx2 expression and implications for olfactory imprinting in the anemonefish, Amphiprion percula. Biol Open. 2013;2:907-15 pubmed publisher..This suggests that Ap-otx2 may be involved in olfactory imprinting to behaviourally relevant settlement odours in A. percula. ..
- Asaoka Y, Hata S, Namae M, Furutani Seiki M, Nishina H. The Hippo pathway controls a switch between retinal progenitor cell proliferation and photoreceptor cell differentiation in zebrafish. PLoS ONE. 2014;9:e97365 pubmed publisher..Remarkably, yap (5SA)-expressing zebrafish embryos displayed decreased expression of transcription factors such as otx5 and crx, which orchestrate photoreceptor cell differentiation by activating the expression of rhodopsin and other ..
- Wilkinson C, Carl M, Harris W. Cep70 and Cep131 contribute to ciliogenesis in zebrafish embryos. BMC Cell Biol. 2009;10:17 pubmed publisher..In a number of human diseases, such Bardet-Biedl syndrome, centrosome/cilium proteins are mutated, leading to polycystic kidney disease, situs inversus, and neurological problems, amongst other symptoms...
- Liu Q, Londraville R, Marrs J, Wilson A, Mbimba T, Murakami T, et al. Cadherin-6 function in zebrafish retinal development. Dev Neurobiol. 2008;68:1107-22 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that cadherin-6 plays an important role in the normal formation of the zebrafish retina. (c) 2008 Wiley Periodicals, Inc. Develop Neurobiol, 2008. ..
- Rai K, Nadauld L, Chidester S, Manos E, James S, Karpf A, et al. Zebra fish Dnmt1 and Suv39h1 regulate organ-specific terminal differentiation during development. Mol Cell Biol. 2006;26:7077-85 pubmed..Our results suggest that Dnmt1 activity helps direct histone methylation by Suv39h1 and that, together, Dnmt1 and Suv39h1 help guide the terminal differentiation of particular tissues. ..
- Khuansuwan S, Gamse J. Identification of differentially expressed genes during development of the zebrafish pineal complex using RNA sequencing. Dev Biol. 2014;395:144-53 pubmed publisher..This protocol brings modern transcriptome analysis to the study of small cell populations in zebrafish. ..
- Toyama R, Chen X, Jhawar N, Aamar E, Epstein J, Reany N, et al. Transcriptome analysis of the zebrafish pineal gland. Dev Dyn. 2009;238:1813-26 pubmed publisher..Among the multiple candidate genes suggested by these data, we note the identification of a tissue-specific form of the unc119 gene with a possible role in pineal development. ..
- Barth K, Miklosi A, Watkins J, Bianco I, Wilson S, Andrew R. fsi zebrafish show concordant reversal of laterality of viscera, neuroanatomy, and a subset of behavioral responses. Curr Biol. 2005;15:844-50 pubmed..Revealing a link between visceral and brain asymmetry and lateralized behavior, our studies help to explain the complexity of the relationship between the lateralities of visceral and neural asymmetries. ..
- Wu S, de Borsetti N, Bain E, Bulow C, Gamse J. Mediator subunit 12 coordinates intrinsic and extrinsic control of epithalamic development. Dev Biol. 2014;385:13-22 pubmed publisher..We propose that the Mediator complex is responsible for subtle but significant changes in transcriptional timing and amplitude that are essential for coordinating the development of neurons in the epithalamus. ..
- Kakizawa T, Nishio S, Triqueneaux G, Bertrand S, Rambaud J, Laudet V. Two differentially active alternative promoters control the expression of the zebrafish orphan nuclear receptor gene Rev-erbalpha. J Mol Endocrinol. 2007;38:555-68 pubmed..Together, these data suggest that ZfP1 is orthologous to the mammalian P1 promoter, whereas zebrafish ZfP2 has no mammalian ortholog and does not function like ZfP1 to control Rev-erbalpha expression. ..
- Yang H, Zhou Y, Gu J, Xie S, Xu Y, Zhu G, et al. Deep mRNA sequencing analysis to capture the transcriptome landscape of zebrafish embryos and larvae. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e64058 pubmed publisher..Our study provides ample information for further study about the molecular and cellular mechanisms underlying vertebrate development. ..
- Chen Y, Londraville R, Brickner S, El Shaar L, Fankhauser K, Dearth C, et al. Protocadherin-17 function in Zebrafish retinal development. Dev Neurobiol. 2013;73:259-73 pubmed publisher..Injection of a vivo-protocadherin-17 MO into one eye of embryonic zebrafish resulted in similar eye defects. Our results suggest that protocadherin-17 plays an important role in the normal formation of the zebrafish retina. ..
- Gonsar N, Coughlin A, Clay Wright J, Borg B, Kindt L, Liang J. Temporal and spatial requirements for Nodal-induced anterior mesendoderm and mesoderm in anterior neurulation. Genesis. 2016;54:3-18 pubmed publisher..However, the neural tube was closed in a subset of embryos that lacked any one of these tissues. This suggests that several types of Nodal-induced mesendodermal/mesodermal precursors are competent to promote neurulation. ..
- Ma P, Swartz M, Kindt L, Kangas A, Liang J. Temperature Sensitivity of Neural Tube Defects in Zoep Mutants. Zebrafish. 2015;12:448-56 pubmed publisher..Thus, sqt and Zoep mutants may serve as valuable models for studying the interactions between genetics and the environment during neurulation. ..
- deCarvalho T, Akitake C, Thisse C, Thisse B, Halpern M. Aversive cues fail to activate fos expression in the asymmetric olfactory-habenula pathway of zebrafish. Front Neural Circuits. 2013;7:98 pubmed publisher..The results indicate that L-R asymmetry of the epithalamus sets the directionality of olfactory innervation, however, the lhx2a:YFP OB-Ha pathway does not appear to mediate fear responses to aversive odorants...
- Chandrasekar G, Vesterlund L, Hultenby K, Tapia P ez I, Kere J. The zebrafish orthologue of the dyslexia candidate gene DYX1C1 is essential for cilia growth and function. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e63123 pubmed publisher..Considering all these results, we propose an essential role for dyx1c1 in cilia growth and function...
- Smadja Storz S, Tovin A, Mracek P, Alon S, Foulkes N, Gothilf Y. Casein kinase 1? activity: a key element in the zebrafish circadian timing system. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e54189 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, the effect of CK1? inhibition on rhythmic locomotor activity may reflect its effect on the function of the central clock in the pineal gland as well as its regulation of peripheral clocks...
- Schottenfeld J, Sullivan Brown J, Burdine R. Zebrafish curly up encodes a Pkd2 ortholog that restricts left-side-specific expression of southpaw. Development. 2007;134:1605-15 pubmed..pkd2 also appears to play a role in the propagation of Nodal signals in the LPM. Based on morpholino studies, we propose an additional role for maternal pkd2 in general mesendoderm patterning. ..
- de Borsetti N, Dean B, Bain E, Clanton J, Taylor R, Gamse J. Light and melatonin schedule neuronal differentiation in the habenular nuclei. Dev Biol. 2011;358:251-61 pubmed publisher..We conclude that light and melatonin schedule the differentiation of neurons and the formation of neural processes in the habenular nuclei. ..
- Quillien A, Blanco Sanchez B, Halluin C, Moore J, Lawson N, Blader P, et al. BMP signaling orchestrates photoreceptor specification in the zebrafish pineal gland in collaboration with Notch. Development. 2011;138:2293-302 pubmed publisher..Our results provide new insights into how multiple signaling influences are integrated during cell fate specification in the vertebrate CNS. ..
- Noche R, Lu P, Goldstein Kral L, Glasgow E, Liang J. Circadian rhythms in the pineal organ persist in zebrafish larvae that lack ventral brain. BMC Neurosci. 2011;12:7 pubmed publisher..Thus, zebrafish may serve as a model system for understanding how vertebrate embryos coordinate rhythms that are controlled by different circadian clocks. ..
- Carl M, Bianco I, Bajoghli B, Aghaallaei N, Czerny T, Wilson S. Wnt/Axin1/beta-catenin signaling regulates asymmetric nodal activation, elaboration, and concordance of CNS asymmetries. Neuron. 2007;55:393-405 pubmed..We identify a second role for the Wnt pathway in the left/right regulation of LPM Nodal pathway gene expression, and finally, we show that at later stages Axin1 is required for the elaboration of concordant neuroanatomical asymmetries. ..
- Lu P, Lund C, Khuansuwan S, Schumann A, Harney Tolo M, Gamse J, et al. Failure in closure of the anterior neural tube causes left isomerization of the zebrafish epithalamus. Dev Biol. 2013;374:333-44 pubmed publisher..This mechanism fails when the two sides of the epithalamus are widely separated from one another, suggesting that it is dependent upon a signaling protein with limited range. ..
- Staudt N, Houart C. The prethalamus is established during gastrulation and influences diencephalic regionalization. PLoS Biol. 2007;5:e69 pubmed..This cell-non-autonomous property led us to propose that these committed prethalamic precursors may play an instructive role in the regionalization of the developing diencephalon. ..
- Seiliez I, Thisse B, Thisse C. FoxA3 and goosecoid promote anterior neural fate through inhibition of Wnt8a activity before the onset of gastrulation. Dev Biol. 2006;290:152-63 pubmed..Altogether, foxA3 and goosecoid cooperate to promote formation of anterior neural tissue by protecting, as early as blastula stage, presumptive anterior neural cells from an irreversible caudalization by the posteriorizing factor Wnt8a. ..
- Appelbaum L, Wang G, Maro G, Mori R, Tovin A, Marin W, et al. Sleep-wake regulation and hypocretin-melatonin interaction in zebrafish. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2009;106:21942-7 pubmed publisher..These results demonstrate the existence of a functional HCRT neurons-pineal gland circuit able to modulate melatonin production and sleep consolidation. ..
- Dean B, Erdoğan B, Gamse J, Wu S. Dbx1b defines the dorsal habenular progenitor domain in the zebrafish epithalamus. Neural Dev. 2014;9:20 pubmed publisher..We provide clear evidence in support of dbx1b marking the progenitor populations that give rise to the dorsal habenulae. In addition, the expression of dbx1b in the dorsal diencephalon is tightly controlled by FGF signaling. ..
- Muralidharan P, Sarmah S, Marrs J. Zebrafish retinal defects induced by ethanol exposure are rescued by retinoic acid and folic acid supplement. Alcohol. 2015;49:149-63 pubmed publisher..Our results indicate that various ethanol-sensitive events underlie FASD-associated retinal defects. Nutrient supplements like retinoids and folate were effective in alleviating ethanol-induced retinal defects. ..
- Nishio S, Kakizawa T, Chatelain G, Triqueneaux G, Brunet F, Rambaud J, et al. OTX5 regulates pineal expression of the zebrafish REV-ERB alpha through a new DNA binding site. Mol Endocrinol. 2008;22:23-32 pubmed..This early pineal expression is under the control of the transcription factor Orthodenticle homeobox 5 (Otx5). In this paper, we show that Otx5 regulates the second zfRev-erbalpha promoter, ZfP2...
- Matos Cruz V, Blasic J, Nickle B, Robinson P, Hattar S, Halpern M. Unexpected diversity and photoperiod dependence of the zebrafish melanopsin system. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e25111 pubmed publisher..Moreover, both genes are expressed in a robust diurnal rhythm but with different phases in relation to the light-dark cycle. The results suggest that melanopsin has an expanded role in modulating the retinal circuitry of fish. ..
- Alon S, Eisenberg E, Jacob Hirsch J, Rechavi G, Vatine G, Toyama R, et al. A new cis-acting regulatory element driving gene expression in the zebrafish pineal gland. Bioinformatics. 2009;25:559-62 pubmed publisher..Ab initio motif detection algorithms have been extensively used in search of regulatory elements. Yet, their success in providing experimentally validated regulatory elements in vertebrates has been limited...