Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: otx2b
Description: orthodenticle homeobox 2b
Alias: id:ibd2915, otx2, zOtx2, zgc:136535, zotx-2, homeobox protein OTX2, etID309955.17, orthodenticle homeobox 2, orthodenticle homolog 2
- Nojima H, Shimizu T, Kim C, Yabe T, Bae Y, Muraoka O, et al. Genetic evidence for involvement of maternally derived Wnt canonical signaling in dorsal determination in zebrafish. Mech Dev. 2004;121:371-86 pubmed..The tkk locus was mapped to chromosome 16. These data provide genetic evidence that the maternally derived canonical Wnt pathway upstream of beta-catenin is involved in dorsal axis formation in zebrafish. ..
- Chang L, Khoo B, Wong L, Tropepe V. Genomic sequence and spatiotemporal expression comparison of zebrafish mbx1 and its paralog, mbx2. Dev Genes Evol. 2006;216:647-54 pubmed..Our data support a subfunctionalization model that may explain the retention of duplicate mbx genes in teleosts. ..
- Bellipanni G, Murakami T, Doerre O, Andermann P, Weinberg E. Expression of Otx homeodomain proteins induces cell aggregation in developing zebrafish embryos. Dev Biol. 2000;223:339-53 pubmed..These results suggest that promotion of cell adhesion or mediation of cell repulsion may be one of the normal functions of the Otx proteins in the establishment of the anterior brain. ..
- Kobayashi M, Toyama R, Takeda H, Dawid I, Kawakami K. Overexpression of the forebrain-specific homeobox gene six3 induces rostral forebrain enlargement in zebrafish. Development. 1998;125:2973-82 pubmed..Our results suggest that the vertebrate Six3 genes are involved in the formation of the rostral forebrain. ..
- von der Hardt S, Bakkers J, Inbal A, Carvalho L, Solnica Krezel L, Heisenberg C, et al. The Bmp gradient of the zebrafish gastrula guides migrating lateral cells by regulating cell-cell adhesion. Curr Biol. 2007;17:475-87 pubmed
- Rentzsch F, Zhang J, Kramer C, Sebald W, Hammerschmidt M. Crossveinless 2 is an essential positive feedback regulator of Bmp signaling during zebrafish gastrulation. Development. 2006;133:801-11 pubmed..Differential proteolytic processing as a mode of regulation might account for anti-Bmp effects in other contexts. ..
- Chan T, Chao C, Wang H, Yu Y, Yuh C. Functional analysis of the evolutionarily conserved cis-regulatory elements on the sox17 gene in zebrafish. Dev Biol. 2009;326:456-70 pubmed publisher..This information provides new insight into the complexity of endoderm formation and serves as a valuable resource for the establishment of a complete endoderm gene regulatory network. ..
- Ro H, Dawid I. Organizer restriction through modulation of Bozozok stability by the E3 ubiquitin ligase Lnx-like. Nat Cell Biol. 2009;11:1121-7 pubmed publisher..These studies introduce a ubiquitin ligase, Lnx-l, as a balancing modulator of axial patterning in the zebrafish embryo. ..
- Shimizu T, Bae Y, Muraoka O, Hibi M. Interaction of Wnt and caudal-related genes in zebrafish posterior body formation. Dev Biol. 2005;279:125-41 pubmed..These data indicate that the cdx genes mediate Wnt signaling and play essential roles in the morphogenesis of the posterior body in zebrafish. ..
- Tucker J, Mintzer K, Mullins M. The BMP signaling gradient patterns dorsoventral tissues in a temporally progressive manner along the anteroposterior axis. Dev Cell. 2008;14:108-19 pubmed publisher..We propose that a temporal cue regulates a cell's competence to respond to BMP signaling, allowing the acquisition of a cell's DV and AP identity simultaneously. ..
- Hashimoto H, Itoh M, Yamanaka Y, Yamashita S, Shimizu T, Solnica Krezel L, et al. Zebrafish Dkk1 functions in forebrain specification and axial mesendoderm formation. Dev Biol. 2000;217:138-52 pubmed..These data indicate that Dkk1, expressed in dorsal mesendoderm, functions in the formation of both the anterior nervous system and the axial mesendoderm in zebrafish. ..
- Chow E, Hui M, Lin C, Cheng S. Cadmium inhibits neurogenesis in zebrafish embryonic brain development. Aquat Toxicol. 2008;87:157-69 pubmed publisher..Our data suggest that cadmium-induced neurotoxicity can be caused by impaired neurogenesis, resulting in markedly reduced neuronal differentiation and axonogenesis. ..
- Scholpp S, Lohs C, Brand M. Engrailed and Fgf8 act synergistically to maintain the boundary between diencephalon and mesencephalon. Development. 2003;130:4881-93 pubmed..This provides an example of a mechanism needed to maintain the subdivision of the anterior neural plate into forebrain and midbrain. ..
- Kawahara A, Dawid I. Developmental expression of zebrafish emx1 during early embryogenesis. Gene Expr Patterns. 2002;2:201-6 pubmed..Thus, emx1 displays a unique expression pattern that is distinct from the patterns of emx2 and emx3. ..
- Fekany Lee K, Gonzalez E, Miller Bertoglio V, Solnica Krezel L. The homeobox gene bozozok promotes anterior neuroectoderm formation in zebrafish through negative regulation of BMP2/4 and Wnt pathways. Development. 2000;127:2333-45 pubmed..In addition, by negative regulation of Wnt signaling, boz promotes organizer formation and limits posteriorization of neuroectoderm in the late gastrula. ..
- Gongal P, March L, Holly V, Pillay L, Berry Wynne K, Kagechika H, et al. Hmx4 regulates Sonic hedgehog signaling through control of retinoic acid synthesis during forebrain patterning. Dev Biol. 2011;355:55-64 pubmed publisher..We propose that Hmx4 is a critical regulator of retinoic acid synthesis in a developing embryo, and that this regulation is essential for controlling Shh signaling and forebrain development. ..
- Nakada C, Satoh S, Tabata Y, Arai K, Watanabe S. Transcriptional repressor foxl1 regulates central nervous system development by suppressing shh expression in zebra fish. Mol Cell Biol. 2006;26:7246-57 pubmed..In view of all of our data taken together, we propose zfoxl1 to be a novel regulator of neural development that acts by suppressing shh expression. ..
- Hernandez R, Putzke A, Myers J, Margaretha L, Moens C. Cyp26 enzymes generate the retinoic acid response pattern necessary for hindbrain development. Development. 2007;134:177-87 pubmed..We present a ;gradient-free' model for hindbrain patterning in which differential RA responsiveness along the hindbrain anterior-posterior axis is shaped primarily by the dynamic expression of RA-degrading enzymes. ..
- Shen Y, Raymond P. Zebrafish cone-rod (crx) homeobox gene promotes retinogenesis. Dev Biol. 2004;269:237-51 pubmed..These results suggest novel functions for zebrafish crx during retinal specification and differentiation. ..
- Emoto Y, Wada H, Okamoto H, Kudo A, Imai Y. Retinoic acid-metabolizing enzyme Cyp26a1 is essential for determining territories of hindbrain and spinal cord in zebrafish. Dev Biol. 2005;278:415-27 pubmed..We propose a model in which Cyp26a1 attenuates RA signaling in the prospective rostral spinal cord to limit the expression of hox genes and to determine the hindbrain-spinal cord boundary. ..
- Miyake A, Itoh N. Fgf22 regulated by Fgf3/Fgf8 signaling is required for zebrafish midbrain development. Biol Open. 2013;2:515-24 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, fgf22 partially rescued the fgf3/fgf8 double morphant phenotype. The present results indicate Fgf22 to be involved in midbrain development downstream of Fgf3 and Fgf8 in the MHB but not of Hh in the floor plate. ..
- Varga M, Maegawa S, Bellipanni G, Weinberg E. Chordin expression, mediated by Nodal and FGF signaling, is restricted by redundant function of two beta-catenins in the zebrafish embryo. Mech Dev. 2007;124:775-91 pubmed
- Eivers E, McCarthy K, Glynn C, Nolan C, Byrnes L. Insulin-like growth factor (IGF) signalling is required for early dorso-anterior development of the zebrafish embryo. Int J Dev Biol. 2004;48:1131-40 pubmed..IGF-1R knockdown caused a significant decrease in the expression of Otx2, Rx3, FGF8, Pax6...
- Nguyen V, Schmid B, Trout J, Connors S, Ekker M, Mullins M. Ventral and lateral regions of the zebrafish gastrula, including the neural crest progenitors, are established by a bmp2b/swirl pathway of genes. Dev Biol. 1998;199:93-110 pubmed..Based on the alterations in tissue-specific gene expression, we propose a model whereby swirl/bmp2b acts as a morphogen to specify different cell types along the dorsoventral axis. ..
- Rhinn M, Lun K, Luz M, Werner M, Brand M. Positioning of the midbrain-hindbrain boundary organizer through global posteriorization of the neuroectoderm mediated by Wnt8 signaling. Development. 2005;132:1261-72 pubmed..of the neuroectoderm, including onset of posterior gbx1 expression and establishment of the posterior border of otx2 expression...
- Scholpp S, Foucher I, Staudt N, Peukert D, Lumsden A, Houart C. Otx1l, Otx2 and Irx1b establish and position the ZLI in the diencephalon. Development. 2007;134:3167-76 pubmed..Here we show that, before ZLI formation, both Otx1l and Otx2 (collectively referred to as Otx1l/2) are expressed in spatially restricted domains...
- Gongal P, Waskiewicz A. Zebrafish model of holoprosencephaly demonstrates a key role for TGIF in regulating retinoic acid metabolism. Hum Mol Genet. 2008;17:525-38 pubmed..The consequences of abnormal RA levels for forebrain patterning are profound, and imply that in human patients with TGIF deficiencies, increased forebrain RA levels contribute to the development of HPE. ..
- Koshida S, Shinya M, Nikaido M, Ueno N, Schulte Merker S, Kuroiwa A, et al. Inhibition of BMP activity by the FGF signal promotes posterior neural development in zebrafish. Dev Biol. 2002;244:9-20 pubmed..It effectively suppressed the anterior neural marker, otx2, but not the posterior marker, hoxb1b...
- Miyake A, Nihno S, Murakoshi Y, Satsuka A, Nakayama Y, Itoh N. Neucrin, a novel secreted antagonist of canonical Wnt signaling, plays roles in developing neural tissues in zebrafish. Mech Dev. 2012;128:577-90 pubmed publisher..Neucrin is a unique secreted Wnt antagonist that is predominantly expressed in developing neural tissues and plays roles in neural development in zebrafish. ..
- Itoh M, Kudoh T, Dedekian M, Kim C, Chitnis A. A role for iro1 and iro7 in the establishment of an anteroposterior compartment of the ectoderm adjacent to the midbrain-hindbrain boundary. Development. 2002;129:2317-27 pubmed
- Kudoh T, Wilson S, Dawid I. Distinct roles for Fgf, Wnt and retinoic acid in posteriorizing the neural ectoderm. Development. 2002;129:4335-46 pubmed..Using these two genes, as well as otx2 and meis3 as anterior and posterior markers, we show that Fgf and Wnt signals suppress expression of anterior genes,..
- Kagermeier Schenk B, Wehner D, Ozhan Kizil G, Yamamoto H, Li J, Kirchner K, et al. Waif1/5T4 inhibits Wnt/?-catenin signaling and activates noncanonical Wnt pathways by modifying LRP6 subcellular localization. Dev Cell. 2011;21:1129-43 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that Waif1 modulates pathway selection in Wnt-receiving cells. ..
- Li Y, Allende M, Finkelstein R, Weinberg E. Expression of two zebrafish orthodenticle-related genes in the embryonic brain. Mech Dev. 1994;48:229-44 pubmed..formation in the anteriormost regions of the zebrafish embryo, we isolated two zebrafish sequences, zOtx1 and zOtx2, related to the Drosophila orthodenticle (otd) and two murine Otx genes...
- Koshida S, Shinya M, Mizuno T, Kuroiwa A, Takeda H. Initial anteroposterior pattern of the zebrafish central nervous system is determined by differential competence of the epiblast. Development. 1998;125:1957-66 pubmed..Thus, otx2, an anterior neural marker, was only ever induced in anterior regions of the embryo, irrespective of the position ..
- Rhinn M, Lun K, Amores A, Yan Y, Postlethwait J, Brand M. Cloning, expression and relationship of zebrafish gbx1 and gbx2 genes to Fgf signaling. Mech Dev. 2003;120:919-36 pubmedThe organizer at the midbrain-hindbrain boundary (MHB) forms at the interface between Otx2 and Gbx2 expressing cell populations, but how these gene expression domains are set up and integrated with the remaining machinery controlling MHB ..
- Kramer C, Mayr T, Nowak M, Schumacher J, Runke G, Bauer H, et al. Maternally supplied Smad5 is required for ventral specification in zebrafish embryos prior to zygotic Bmp signaling. Dev Biol. 2002;250:263-79 pubmed..This indicates that maternally supplied Smad5 is already required to mediate ventral specification prior to zygotic Bmp2/7 signaling to establish the initial dorsoventral asymmetry. ..
- Sirotkin H, Dougan S, Schier A, Talbot W. bozozok and squint act in parallel to specify dorsal mesoderm and anterior neuroectoderm in zebrafish. Development. 2000;127:2583-92 pubmed..Our results support a model in which boz and sqt act in parallel to induce dorsalizing BMP-antagonists and to counteract the repressive function of cyc in neural patterning. ..
- Shimizu N, Ishitani S, Sato A, Shibuya H, Ishitani T. Hipk2 and PP1c cooperate to maintain Dvl protein levels required for Wnt signal transduction. Cell Rep. 2014;8:1391-404 pubmed publisher..This regulation may be a negative feedback mechanism that fine-tunes Wnt/Î²-catenin signaling. ..
- Lin Y, Tsai Y, Liu Y, Cheng Y, Hung C, Lee Y, et al. The critical role of protein arginine methyltransferase prmt8 in zebrafish embryonic and neural development is non-redundant with its paralogue prmt1. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e55221 pubmed publisher..Our results indicate that prmt8 may play important roles non-overlapping with prmt1 in embryonic and neural development depending on its specific N-terminus. ..
- Becker T, Ostendorff H, Bossenz M, Schlüter A, Becker C, Peirano R, et al. Multiple functions of LIM domain-binding CLIM/NLI/Ldb cofactors during zebrafish development. Mech Dev. 2002;117:75-85 pubmed..Our results demonstrate multiple roles of the CLIM cofactor family for the development of entire organs, axonal outgrowth of specific neurons and protein expression levels. ..
- de Graaf M, Zivkovic D, Joore J. Hormone-inducible expression of secreted factors in zebrafish embryos. Dev Growth Differ. 1998;40:577-82 pubmed..shown to induce morphological abnormalities, as well as alterations in the expression patterns of goosecoid and otx2, respectively...
- Hino H, Nakanishi A, Seki R, Aoki T, Yamaha E, Kawahara A, et al. Roles of maternal wnt8a transcripts in axis formation in zebrafish. Dev Biol. 2018;434:96-107 pubmed publisher..Finally, we re-examined the maternal wnt genes and found that Wnt6a is an alternative candidate DD. ..
- Halbig K, Lekven A, Kunkel G. The transcriptional activator ZNF143 is essential for normal development in zebrafish. BMC Mol Biol. 2012;13:3 pubmed publisher..Normal development of zebrafish embryos requires ZNF143. Furthermore, the pax2a gene is probably one example of many protein-coding gene targets of ZNF143 during zebrafish development. ..
- Yeh C, Kao S, Cheng Y, Hsu L. Knockdown of cyclin-dependent kinase 10 (cdk10) gene impairs neural progenitor survival via modulation of raf1a gene expression. J Biol Chem. 2013;288:27927-39 pubmed publisher..Our findings provide the first functional characterization of cdk10 in vertebrate development and reveal its critical function in neurogenesis by modulation of raf1a expression. ..
- Jiang X, Yang P, Ma L. Kinase activity-independent regulation of cyclin pathway by GRK2 is essential for zebrafish early development. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2009;106:10183-8 pubmed publisher..Our data thus reveal a novel kinase activity-independent function for GRK and establish a role for GRK2 as a cell-cycle regulator during early embryonic development. ..
- Foucher I, Mione M, Simeone A, Acampora D, Bally Cuif L, Houart C. Differentiation of cerebellar cell identities in absence of Fgf signalling in zebrafish Otx morphants. Development. 2006;133:1891-900 pubmed..This maintenance is enough to allow cerebellar differentiation. ..
- Varga Z, Wegner J, Westerfield M. Anterior movement of ventral diencephalic precursors separates the primordial eye field in the neural plate and requires cyclops. Development. 1999;126:5533-46 pubmed..Our results indicate that movement of a median subpopulation of diencephalic precursors separates retinal precursors into left and right eyes. Wild-type cyclops gene function is required for these morphogenetic movements. ..
- Hauptmann G, Gerster T. Regulatory gene expression patterns reveal transverse and longitudinal subdivisions of the embryonic zebrafish forebrain. Mech Dev. 2000;91:105-18 pubmed..Our data suggest a strong conservation of early forebrain organization between lower and higher vertebrates. ..
- Nikaido M, Tada M, Takeda H, Kuroiwa A, Ueno N. In vivo analysis using variants of zebrafish BMPR-IA: range of action and involvement of BMP in ectoderm patterning. Development. 1999;126:181-90 pubmed..Taken together, we propose that, in ectodermal patterning, BMP exerts a direct and cell-autonomous effect to fate uncommitted ectodermal cells to become epidermis. ..
- Miyake A, Chitose T, Kamei E, Murakami A, Nakayama Y, Konishi M, et al. Fgf16 is required for specification of GABAergic neurons and oligodendrocytes in the zebrafish forebrain. PLoS ONE. 2014;9:e110836 pubmed publisher..The results of the present study indicate that Fgf16 signaling, which is regulated by the downstream pathways of Hh-Fgf19 in the forebrain, is involved in forebrain development. ..
- Chou C, Chen Y, Lee M, Chen G, Lu I, Chen S, et al. Expression and characterization of a brain-specific protein kinase BSK146 from zebrafish. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2006;340:767-75 pubmed..The expression of brain-specific markers, such as otx2, pax2.1, and krox20, was found normal in morphant embryos at 24hpf, while expression of pax2...
- Xu X, He Y, Sun L, Ma S, Luo C. Maternal Vsx1 plays an essential role in regulating prechordal mesendoderm and forebrain formation in zebrafish. Dev Biol. 2014;394:264-76 pubmed publisher..Our results reveal a pivotal role for maternal Vsx1 as a direct transcriptional repressor of ntl expression at the margin of the zebrafish gastrula to ensure directional cell polarization and migration of PME cells. ..
- Wu M, Ramel M, Howell M, Hill C. SNW1 is a critical regulator of spatial BMP activity, neural plate border formation, and neural crest specification in vertebrate embryos. PLoS Biol. 2011;9:e1000593 pubmed publisher..We conclude that through its ability to regulate a specific domain of BMP activity in the vertebrate embryo, SNW1 is a critical regulator of neural plate border formation and thus neural crest specification...
- Liedtke D, Winkler C. Midkine-b regulates cell specification at the neural plate border in zebrafish. Dev Dyn. 2008;237:62-74 pubmed..Our results imply that Mdkb is required for the earliest steps of cell specification at the neural plate border in zebrafish...
- Cheng Y, Chiang M, Shih H, Ma T, Yeh T, Huang Y, et al. The transcription factor hairy/E(spl)-related 2 induces proliferation of neural progenitors and regulates neurogenesis and gliogenesis. Dev Biol. 2015;397:116-28 pubmed publisher..Together, these two mechanisms ensure the proper development of the neural progenitor cell pool. ..
- Stanton S, McReynolds L, Evans T, Schreiber Agus N. Yaf2 inhibits caspase 8-mediated apoptosis and regulates cell survival during zebrafish embryogenesis. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:28782-93 pubmed..Our findings implicate Yaf2 as a survival factor during early zebrafish development and organogenesis. This may suggest that Yaf2 and Rybp can encode opposing functions in the regulation of apoptosis. ..
- Grandel H, Lun K, Rauch G, Rhinn M, Piotrowski T, Houart C, et al. Retinoic acid signalling in the zebrafish embryo is necessary during pre-segmentation stages to pattern the anterior-posterior axis of the CNS and to induce a pectoral fin bud. Development. 2002;129:2851-65 pubmed
- Hu H, Xin N, Liu J, Liu M, Wang Z, Wang W, et al. Characterization of F-spondin in Japanese flounder (Paralichthys olivaceus) and its role in the nervous system development of teleosts. Gene. 2016;575:623-31 pubmed publisher..significantly suppressed the expression of the chordamesoderm marker gene ntl, increased the expression of otx2/krox20, ectoderm mark genes, and left the expression of dorsal mesodermal marker gene gsc unaffected at 50% epiboly ..
- Stigloher C, Ninkovic J, Laplante M, Geling A, Tannhäuser B, Topp S, et al. Segregation of telencephalic and eye-field identities inside the zebrafish forebrain territory is controlled by Rx3. Development. 2006;133:2925-35 pubmed..These results suggest that the process segregating the telencephalic and eye fields is isolated from diencephalic patterning, and is mediated by Rx3. ..
- Ho J, Hsiao C, Kawakami K, Tse W. Triclosan (TCS) exposure impairs lipid metabolism in zebrafish embryos. Aquat Toxicol. 2016;173:29-35 pubmed publisher..This study showed that 250Î¼g/L TCS exposure does not affect normal embryogenesis or organogenesis; however, there are concerns regarding possible impairment of lipid metabolism. ..
- Kapp L, Abrams E, Marlow F, Mullins M. The integrator complex subunit 6 (Ints6) confines the dorsal organizer in vertebrate embryogenesis. PLoS Genet. 2013;9:e1003822 pubmed publisher..Our results are consistent with a novel role for Ints6 in restricting the vertebrate organizer to a dorsal domain in embryonic patterning...
- Paridaen J, Danesin C, Elas A, van de Water S, Houart C, Zivkovic D. Apc1 is required for maintenance of local brain organizers and dorsal midbrain survival. Dev Biol. 2009;331:101-12 pubmed publisher..These data demonstrate that Apc1-mediated restriction of Wnt/beta-catenin signalling is required for maintenance of local organizers and tectal integrity. ..
- Trinh L, Meyer D, Stainier D. The Mix family homeodomain gene bonnie and clyde functions with other components of the Nodal signaling pathway to regulate neural patterning in zebrafish. Development. 2003;130:4989-98 pubmed
- Schlueter P, Peng G, Westerfield M, Duan C. Insulin-like growth factor signaling regulates zebrafish embryonic growth and development by promoting cell survival and cell cycle progression. Cell Death Differ. 2007;14:1095-105 pubmed
- Moreno Ayala R, Schnabel D, Salas Vidal E, LomelÃ H. PIAS-like protein Zimp7 is required for the restriction of the zebrafish organizer and mesoderm development. Dev Biol. 2015;403:89-100 pubmed publisher..Altogether, our findings indicate that Zimp7 is involved in transcriptional regulation of factors that are essential for patterning in the dorsoventral axis. ..
- Wei X, Bugni T, Harper M, Sandoval I, Manos E, Swift J, et al. Evaluation of pyridoacridine alkaloids in a zebrafish phenotypic assay. Mar Drugs. 2010;8:1769-78 pubmed publisher..Compounds 1-6 were evaluated in a zebrafish phenotype-based assay. Amphimedine (4) was the only compound that caused a phenotype in zebrafish embryos at 30 muM. No phenotype other than death was observed for compounds 1-3, 5, 6. ..
- Zhang C, Boa Amponsem O, Cole G. Comparison of molecular marker expression in early zebrafish brain development following chronic ethanol or morpholino treatment. Exp Brain Res. 2017;235:2413-2423 pubmed publisher..In situ hybridization was employed to analyze otx2, pax6a, epha4a, krx20, pax2a, fgf8a, wnt1, and eng2b expression during early brain development...
- Liu X, Huang S, Ma J, Li C, Zhang Y, Luo L. NF-kappaB and Snail1a coordinate the cell cycle with gastrulation. J Cell Biol. 2009;184:805-15 pubmed publisher..In effect, the cell cycle coordinates the delamination of mesendodermal cells through the transcription of Snail1a. Our results suggest a molecular mechanism by which NF-kappaB and Snail1a coordinate the cell cycle through gastrulation. ..