Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: otx1
Description: orthodenticle homeobox 1
Alias: cb769, fj99f05, otx1b, wu:fj99f05, zOtx1, homeobox protein OTX1 B, orthodenticle homeobox 1b, orthodenticle homolog 1b
- Hans S, Christison J, Liu D, Westerfield M. Fgf-dependent otic induction requires competence provided by Foxi1 and Dlx3b. BMC Dev Biol. 2007;7:5 pubmed..These results provide further support for the hypothesis that Foxi1 and Dlx3b provide competence for cells to respond to Fgf and form an otic placode. ..
- Freifeld L, Odstrcil I, Förster D, Ramirez A, Gagnon J, Randlett O, et al. Expansion microscopy of zebrafish for neuroscience and developmental biology studies. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2017;114:E10799-E10808 pubmed publisher..Thus, ExM of the larval and embryonic zebrafish may enable systematic studies of how molecular components are configured in multiple contexts of interest to neuroscience and developmental biology. ..
- Veilleux H, van Herwerden L, Cole N, Don E, De Santis C, Dixson D, et al. Otx2 expression and implications for olfactory imprinting in the anemonefish, Amphiprion percula. Biol Open. 2013;2:907-15 pubmed publisher..This suggests that Ap-otx2 may be involved in olfactory imprinting to behaviourally relevant settlement odours in A. percula. ..
- Padanad M, Bhat N, Guo B, Riley B. Conditions that influence the response to Fgf during otic placode induction. Dev Biol. 2012;364:1-10 pubmed publisher..These findings document the variables critically affecting the response to Fgf and clarify the roles of foxi1 and pax2/8 in the otic response. ..
- Fisher S, Amacher S, Halpern M. Loss of cerebum function ventralizes the zebrafish embryo. Development. 1997;124:1301-11 pubmed..Analysis of the cerebum phenotype provides genetic evidence for the existence of ventralizing signals in the zebrafish gastrula and for antagonists of those signals. ..
- Hughes I, Blasiole B, Huss D, Warchol M, Rath N, Hurle B, et al. Otopetrin 1 is required for otolith formation in the zebrafish Danio rerio. Dev Biol. 2004;276:391-402 pubmed..These studies demonstrate that Otop1 has an essential and conserved role in the timing of formation and the size and shape of the developing otolith...
- Rotllant J, Liu D, Yan Y, Postlethwait J, Westerfield M, Du S. Sparc (Osteonectin) functions in morphogenesis of the pharyngeal skeleton and inner ear. Matrix Biol. 2008;27:561-72 pubmed publisher..A comparison of the phenotypes of Sparc knockdown and known zebrafish mutants with similar defects places Sparc downstream of sox9 in the genetic network that regulates development of the pharyngeal skeleton and inner ear of vertebrates...
- Choe S, Ladam F, SAGERSTROM C. TALE factors poise promoters for activation by Hox proteins. Dev Cell. 2014;28:203-11 pubmed publisher..We conclude that TALE factors access promoters during early embryogenesis to poise them for activation but that Hox proteins are required to trigger efficient transcription. ..
- Kwak S, Vemaraju S, Moorman S, Zeddies D, Popper A, Riley B. Zebrafish pax5 regulates development of the utricular macula and vestibular function. Dev Dyn. 2006;235:3026-38 pubmed..Thus, pax5 works in conjunction with fgf3 and pax2a to establish and/or maintain the utricular macula and is essential for vestibular function...
- Phillips B, Kwon H, Melton C, Houghtaling P, Fritz A, Riley B. Zebrafish msxB, msxC and msxE function together to refine the neural-nonneural border and regulate cranial placodes and neural crest development. Dev Biol. 2006;294:376-90 pubmed..These data suggest that mutual antagonism between Msx and Dlx proteins achieves a balance of function required for normal preplacodal differentiation and placement of the neural-nonneural border. ..
- Lindeman L, Reiner A, Mathavan S, Alestrom P, Collas P. Tiling histone H3 lysine 4 and 27 methylation in zebrafish using high-density microarrays. PLoS ONE. 2010;5:e15651 pubmed publisher..We have designed and validated for the scientific community a comprehensive high-resolution tiling microarray for investigations of epigenetic states in zebrafish, a widely used developmental and disease model organism. ..
- Ramirez I, Pietka G, Jones D, Divecha N, Alia A, Baraban S, et al. Impaired neural development in a zebrafish model for Lowe syndrome. Hum Mol Genet. 2012;21:1744-59 pubmed publisher..Our results indicate a novel role for OCRL1 in neural development, and support a model whereby dysregulation of phosphoinositide metabolism and clathrin-mediated membrane traffic leads to the neurological symptoms of Lowe syndrome. ..
- Kantarci H, Gerberding A, Riley B. Spemann organizer gene Goosecoid promotes delamination of neuroblasts from the otic vesicle. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2016;113:E6840-E6848 pubmed..These data resolve a genetic mechanism controlling delamination of otic neuroblasts. The data also elucidate a developmental role for Gsc consistent with a general function in promoting epithelial-to-mesenchymal transition (EMT). ..
- Chatterjee S, Bourque G, Lufkin T. Conserved and non-conserved enhancers direct tissue specific transcription in ancient germ layer specific developmental control genes. BMC Dev Biol. 2011;11:63 pubmed publisher..2, pax9, otx1b and foxa2) in zebrafish, only 20-30% of highly conserved DNA sequences can act as developmental enhancers ..
- Kwon H, Riley B. Mesendodermal signals required for otic induction: Bmp-antagonists cooperate with Fgf and can facilitate formation of ectopic otic tissue. Dev Dyn. 2009;238:1582-94 pubmed publisher..Developmental Dynamics 238:1582-1594, 2009. (c) 2009 Wiley-Liss, Inc. ..
- Fekany Lee K, Gonzalez E, Miller Bertoglio V, Solnica Krezel L. The homeobox gene bozozok promotes anterior neuroectoderm formation in zebrafish through negative regulation of BMP2/4 and Wnt pathways. Development. 2000;127:2333-45 pubmed..In addition, by negative regulation of Wnt signaling, boz promotes organizer formation and limits posteriorization of neuroectoderm in the late gastrula. ..
- Croushore J, Blasiole B, Riddle R, Thisse C, Thisse B, Canfield V, et al. Ptena and ptenb genes play distinct roles in zebrafish embryogenesis. Dev Dyn. 2005;234:911-21 pubmed..These results indicate that ptena and ptenb encode functional enzymes and that each pten gene plays a distinct role during zebrafish embryogenesis. ..
- Sun Z, Zhao J, Zhang Y, Meng A. Sp5l is a mediator of Fgf signals in anteroposterior patterning of the neuroectoderm in zebrafish embryo. Dev Dyn. 2006;235:2999-3006 pubmed..We demonstrate here that repression of the anterior neuroectodermal markers fez and otx1 by fgf17b or fgf3 coincides with induction of sp5l in the anterior neuroectoderm, and that this repression is ..
- Maier E, Whitfield T. RA and FGF signalling are required in the zebrafish otic vesicle to pattern and maintain ventral otic identities. PLoS Genet. 2014;10:e1004858 pubmed publisher..development; in addition, FGF is both required and sufficient to promote the expression of the non-neural marker otx1b in the OV...
- Maulding K, Padanad M, Dong J, Riley B. Mesodermal Fgf10b cooperates with other fibroblast growth factors during induction of otic and epibranchial placodes in zebrafish. Dev Dyn. 2014;243:1275-85 pubmed publisher..fgf10b participates in a late phase of otic induction and, in combination with fgf3, is especially critical for epibranchial induction. ..
- Bellipanni G, Murakami T, Weinberg E. Molecular dissection of Otx1 functional domains in the zebrafish embryo. J Cell Physiol. 2010;222:286-93 pubmed publisher..of cell aggregation as an in vivo assay to examine the functional requirement for particular domains of the zOtx1 protein...
- Förster D, Arnold Ammer I, Laurell E, Barker A, Fernandes A, Finger Baier K, et al. Genetic targeting and anatomical registration of neuronal populations in the zebrafish brain with a new set of BAC transgenic tools. Sci Rep. 2017;7:5230 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our study offers new tools for functional studies of specific neural circuits in zebrafish. ..
- Dragojević J, Mihaljević I, Popovic M, Zaja R, Smital T. In vitro characterization of zebrafish (Danio rerio) organic anion transporters Oat2a-e. Toxicol In Vitro. 2018;46:246-256 pubmed publisher..24, and 20.41?M) with Oat2d. This study provides the first comprehensive data set on Oat2 in zebrafish and offers an important basis for more detailed molecular and (eco)toxicological characterizations of these transporters. ..
- Sumanas S, Larson J, Miller Bever M. Zebrafish chaperone protein GP96 is required for otolith formation during ear development. Dev Biol. 2003;261:443-55 pubmed..We conclude that the GP96 chaperone protein is involved in the otolith formation during normal ear development. This is the first report of a specific function during organism development being attributed to a chaperone class molecule. ..
- Ninkovic J, Tallafuss A, Leucht C, Topczewski J, Tannhäuser B, Solnica Krezel L, et al. Inhibition of neurogenesis at the zebrafish midbrain-hindbrain boundary by the combined and dose-dependent activity of a new hairy/E(spl) gene pair. Development. 2005;132:75-88 pubmed..We propose a molecular mechanism for this process where the global 'Him+Her5' activity inhibits ngn1 expression in a dose-dependent manner and through different sensitivity thresholds along the medio-lateral axis of the neural plate. ..
- Lin J, Wang X, Dorsky R. Progenitor expansion in apc mutants is mediated by Jak/Stat signaling. BMC Dev Biol. 2011;11:73 pubmed publisher..Together, our data suggest that the regulation of Jak/Stat signaling may represent a conserved mechanism explaining the expansion of undifferentiated cells downstream of APC mutations. ..
- Blasiole B, Kabbani N, Boehmler W, Thisse B, Thisse C, Canfield V, et al. Neuronal calcium sensor-1 gene ncs-1a is essential for semicircular canal formation in zebrafish inner ear. J Neurobiol. 2005;64:285-97 pubmed..These studies identify a novel function for ncs-1a in inner ear development and suggest that this calcium sensor plays an important role in vestibular function...
- Loucks E, Schwend T, Ahlgren S. Molecular changes associated with teratogen-induced cyclopia. Birth Defects Res A Clin Mol Teratol. 2007;79:642-51 pubmed..These data suggest that each teratogen exposure leads to a unique set of molecular changes that underlie the single phenotype of cyclopia. ..
- Zhao Y, Yang Z, Phelan J, Wheeler D, Lin S, McCabe E. Zebrafish dax1 is required for development of the interrenal organ, the adrenal cortex equivalent. Mol Endocrinol. 2006;20:2630-40 pubmed..Based on these results, we propose that dax1 is the mammalian DAX1 ortholog, functions downstream of ff1b in the regulatory cascades, and is required for normal development and function of the zebrafish interrenal organ...
- Bellipanni G, Murakami T, Doerre O, Andermann P, Weinberg E. Expression of Otx homeodomain proteins induces cell aggregation in developing zebrafish embryos. Dev Biol. 2000;223:339-53 pubmed..When cells containing injected zOtx1 RNA are limited to the area that is normally fated to become the anterior brain and neural retina, the induced ..
- Kantarci H, Edlund R, Groves A, Riley B. Tfap2a promotes specification and maturation of neurons in the inner ear through modulation of Bmp, Fgf and notch signaling. PLoS Genet. 2015;11:e1005037 pubmed publisher..Together, these data support a model in which Tfap2a, acting through Bmp7a, modulates Fgf and Notch signaling to control the duration, amount and speed of SAG neural development. ..
- Lane B, Lister J. Otx but not Mitf transcription factors are required for zebrafish retinal pigment epithelium development. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e49357 pubmed publisher..The role of the three Otx transcription factors (Otx1a, Otx1b, and Otx2) and two Mitf transcription factors (Mitfa and Mitfb) in the development of the zebrafish RPE was ..
- Varga M, Maegawa S, Weinberg E. Correct anteroposterior patterning of the zebrafish neurectoderm in the absence of the early dorsal organizer. BMC Dev Biol. 2011;11:26 pubmed publisher..We also show that the zebrafish embryo can form a radial diffuse neural sheath in the absence of both BMP signaling and the early organizer. ..
- Stephens W, Senecal M, Nguyen M, Piotrowski T. Loss of adenomatous polyposis coli (apc) results in an expanded ciliary marginal zone in the zebrafish eye. Dev Dyn. 2010;239:2066-77 pubmed publisher..Peripheral cells that likely contain stem cells can be identified by the expression of follistatin, otx1, and axin2 and the lack of expression of myca and cyclinD1...