Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: otpa
Description: orthopedia homeobox a
Alias: homeobox protein orthopedia, orthopedia homolog a, otp, otp2, otpb
- Serifi I, Tzima E, Soupsana K, Karetsou Z, Beis D, Papamarcaki T. The zebrafish homologs of SET/I2PP2A oncoprotein: expression patterns and insights into their physiological roles during development. Biochem J. 2016;473:4609-4627 pubmed..Collectively, our results suggest that seta and setb are required during embryogenesis and play roles in the zebrafish sensory system development. ..
- Flinn L, Keatinge M, Bretaud S, Mortiboys H, Matsui H, De Felice E, et al. TigarB causes mitochondrial dysfunction and neuronal loss in PINK1 deficiency. Ann Neurol. 2013;74:837-47 pubmed publisher..Pink1(-/-) zebrafish are the first vertebrate model of PINK1 deficiency with loss of dopaminergic neurons. Our study also identifies TIGAR as a promising novel target for disease-modifying therapy in PINK1-related PD. ..
- Beretta C, Dross N, Bankhead P, Carl M. The ventral habenulae of zebrafish develop in prosomere 2 dependent on Tcf7l2 function. Neural Dev. 2013;8:19 pubmed publisher..Thus, our finding may provide a simple explanation as to why only neuronal populations of the dorsal habenulae differ in size across brain hemispheres. ..
- Kikuta H, Laplante M, Navratilova P, Komisarczuk A, Engström P, Fredman D, et al. Genomic regulatory blocks encompass multiple neighboring genes and maintain conserved synteny in vertebrates. Genome Res. 2007;17:545-55 pubmed..These findings explain the absence of evolutionary breakpoints from large vertebrate chromosomal segments and will aid in the recognition of position effect mutations within human GRBs. ..
- Wircer E, Blechman J, Borodovsky N, Tsoory M, Nunes A, Oliveira R, et al. Homeodomain protein Otp affects developmental neuropeptide switching in oxytocin neurons associated with a long-term effect on social behavior. elife. 2017;6: pubmed publisher..We show that developmental mutations in the zebrafish paralogous gene otpa but not otpb affect both stress response and social preference...
- Vom Berg Maurer C, Trivedi C, Bollmann J, De Marco R, Ryu S. The Severity of Acute Stress Is Represented by Increased Synchronous Activity and Recruitment of Hypothalamic CRH Neurons. J Neurosci. 2016;36:3350-62 pubmed publisher..Thus, our work reveals how CRH neurons respond to different levels of acute stress in vivo. ..
- Gutierrez Triana J, Herget U, Lichtner P, Castillo RamÃrez L, Ryu S. A vertebrate-conserved cis-regulatory module for targeted expression in the main hypothalamic regulatory region for the stress response. BMC Dev Biol. 2014;14:41 pubmed publisherThe homeodomain transcription factor orthopedia (Otp) is an evolutionarily conserved regulator of neuronal fates...
- Barreto Valer K, Lopez Bellido R, Rodriguez R. Cocaine modulates the expression of transcription factors related to the dopaminergic system in zebrafish. Neuroscience. 2013;231:258-71 pubmed publisher..1, lmx1b.2, otpa, otpb, nurr1 transcription factors, and their target genes: TH and DA transporter expression...
- Preuss S, Trivedi C, Vom Berg Maurer C, Ryu S, Bollmann J. Classification of object size in retinotectal microcircuits. Curr Biol. 2014;24:2376-85 pubmed publisher..The tectum categorizes visual targets on the basis of retinally computed size information, suggesting a critical role in visually guided response selection. ..
- Gabriel J, Trivedi C, Maurer C, Ryu S, Bollmann J. Layer-specific targeting of direction-selective neurons in the zebrafish optic tectum. Neuron. 2012;76:1147-60 pubmed publisher..Hence, different directions are represented in different layers, which suggests a simple mechanism for how tectal neurons acquire directional tuning in a nascent circuit. ..
- Manoli M, Driever W. nkx2.1 and nkx2.4 genes function partially redundant during development of the zebrafish hypothalamus, preoptic region, and pallidum. Front Neuroanat. 2014;8:145 pubmed publisher..1 is specifically involved in the development of rostral ventral forebrain including the pallidum and preoptic regions, whereas nkx2.4a and nkx2.4b control the intermediate and caudal hypothalamus. ..
- Huang J, Zhong Z, Wang M, Chen X, Tan Y, Zhang S, et al. Circadian modulation of dopamine levels and dopaminergic neuron development contributes to attention deficiency and hyperactive behavior. J Neurosci. 2015;35:2572-87 pubmed publisher..The circadian model for attention deficiency and hyperactive behavior sheds light on ADHD pathogenesis and opens avenues for exploring novel targets for diagnosis and therapy for this common psychiatric disorder. ..
- Fontaine R, Affaticati P, Bureau C, Colin I, Demarque M, Dufour S, et al. Dopaminergic Neurons Controlling Anterior Pituitary Functions: Anatomy and Ontogenesis in Zebrafish. Endocrinology. 2015;156:2934-48 pubmed publisher..This study offers some insights into the regional identity of the preoptic area and provides the first bases for future functional genetic studies on the development of DA neurons controlling anterior pituitary functions. ..
- Koch P, LÃ¶hr H, Driever W. A mutation in cnot8, component of the Ccr4-not complex regulating transcript stability, affects expression levels of developmental regulators and reveals a role of Fgf3 in development of caudal hypothalamic dopaminergic neurons. PLoS ONE. 2014;9:e113829 pubmed publisher..Our data indicate that attenuation of Cnot8 activity differentially affects mRNA levels of developmental control genes. ..
- Taylor A, Humphries J, White R, Murphey R, BURNS C, Zon L. Hematopoietic defects in rps29 mutant zebrafish depend upon p53 activation. Exp Hematol. 2012;40:228-237.e5 pubmed publisher..We also identified neuronal gene orthopedia protein a (otpa) as one whose expression correlates with rps29 expression, suggesting that levels of expression of some genes are ..
- Beretta C, Dross N, Guglielmi L, Bankhead P, Soulika M, Gutierrez Triana J, et al. Early Commissural Diencephalic Neurons Control Habenular Axon Extension and Targeting. Curr Biol. 2017;27:270-278 pubmed publisher..This mechanism of network formation may well apply to other circuits, and has only remained undiscovered due to technical limitations. ..
- Reimer M, Norris A, Ohnmacht J, Patani R, Zhong Z, Dias T, et al. Dopamine from the brain promotes spinal motor neuron generation during development and adult regeneration. Dev Cell. 2013;25:478-91 pubmed publisher..Hence, we describe a supraspinal control mechanism for the development and regeneration of specific spinal cell types that uses dopamine as a signal. ..
- Gorelick D, Halpern M. Visualization of estrogen receptor transcriptional activation in zebrafish. Endocrinology. 2011;152:2690-703 pubmed publisher..The transgenic estrogen-responsive zebrafish allow ER signaling to be monitored visually and serve as in vivo sentinels for detection of estrogenic compounds. ..
- Herget U, Gutierrez Triana J, Salazar Thula O, Knerr B, Ryu S. Single-Cell Reconstruction of Oxytocinergic Neurons Reveals Separate Hypophysiotropic and Encephalotropic Subtypes in Larval Zebrafish. Eneuro. 2017;4: pubmed publisher..Further, our results reveal that complex oxytocinergic innervation patterns are already established in the larval zebrafish brain. ..
- Herget U, Wolf A, Wullimann M, Ryu S. Molecular neuroanatomy and chemoarchitecture of the neurosecretory preoptic-hypothalamic area in zebrafish larvae. J Comp Neurol. 2014;522:1542-64 pubmed publisher..Our results identify the dorsal half of the preoptic-hypothalamic orthopedia a (otpa) domain as the larval NPO and the homologous region to the mammalian PVN...