Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: opn1sw2
Description: opsin 1 (cone pigments), short-wave-sensitive 2
Alias: SI:zK13A21.5, SWS2, bluops, zfblue, opsin-1, short-wave-sensitive 2, blue cone opsin, blue cone photoreceptor pigment, blue-sensitive opsin, opsin SWS-2, short-wavelength-sensitive-2 cone opsin
- Fraser B, Duval M, Wang H, Allison W. Regeneration of cone photoreceptors when cell ablation is primarily restricted to a particular cone subtype. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e55410 pubmed publisher..Our novel animal model provides control of ablation that will assist in identifying mechanisms required to replace cone photoreceptors clinically to restore daytime vision. ..
- Takechi M, Kawamura S. Temporal and spatial changes in the expression pattern of multiple red and green subtype opsin genes during zebrafish development. J Exp Biol. 2005;208:1337-45 pubmed..These results provide the framework for subsequent studies of opsin gene regulation and for probing functional rationale of the developmental changes by using the power of zebrafish genetics. ..
- Allison W, Barthel L, Skebo K, Takechi M, Kawamura S, Raymond P. Ontogeny of cone photoreceptor mosaics in zebrafish. J Comp Neurol. 2010;518:4182-95 pubmed publisher..These observations provide baseline data for understanding the development of cone mosaics via comparative analysis of larval and adult cone development in a model species. ..
- Tsujimura T, Hosoya T, Kawamura S. A single enhancer regulating the differential expression of duplicated red-sensitive opsin genes in zebrafish. PLoS Genet. 2010;6:e1001245 pubmed publisher..Sharing a regulatory region between duplicated genes could be a general way to facilitate the expression differentiation in duplicated visual opsins. ..
- Prabhudesai S, Cameron D, Stenkamp D. Targeted effects of retinoic acid signaling upon photoreceptor development in zebrafish. Dev Biol. 2005;287:157-67 pubmed
- Alvarez Delfin K, Morris A, Snelson C, Gamse J, Gupta T, Marlow F, et al. Tbx2b is required for ultraviolet photoreceptor cell specification during zebrafish retinal development. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2009;106:2023-8 pubmed publisher..Based upon these data, we propose a previously undescribed function for tbx2b in photoreceptor cell precursors, to promote the UV cone fate by repressing the rod differentiation pathway. ..
- Chinen A, Hamaoka T, Yamada Y, Kawamura S. Gene duplication and spectral diversification of cone visual pigments of zebrafish. Genetics. 2003;163:663-75 pubmed..here that zebrafish has two red (LWS-1 and LWS-2), four green (RH2-1, RH2-2, RH2-3, and RH2-4), and single blue (SWS2) and ultraviolet (SWS1) opsin genes in the genome, among which LWS-2, RH2-2, and RH2-3 are novel...
- Hyatt G, Schmitt E, Fadool J, Dowling J. Retinoic acid alters photoreceptor development in vivo. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1996;93:13298-303 pubmed..Our data suggest that the RA signaling pathway is involved in the differentiation and maturation of both the rod and cone photoreceptors within the developing zebrafish retina. ..
- Tsujimura T, Chinen A, Kawamura S. Identification of a locus control region for quadruplicated green-sensitive opsin genes in zebrafish. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2007;104:12813-8 pubmed..5-kb region in the PAC clone conferred the highest expression for its proximal gene. The 0.5-kb region was thus designated as RH2-LCR analogous to the locus control region of the L-M opsin genes of primates. ..
- Morris A, Schroeter E, Bilotta J, Wong R, Fadool J. Cone survival despite rod degeneration in XOPS-mCFP transgenic zebrafish. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2005;46:4762-71 pubmed..This raises important questions about the significance of rod-cone interactions in zebrafish and their potential as a model of human inherited retinal degenerations. ..
- Shen Y, Raymond P. Zebrafish cone-rod (crx) homeobox gene promotes retinogenesis. Dev Biol. 2004;269:237-51 pubmed..These results suggest novel functions for zebrafish crx during retinal specification and differentiation. ..
- Luo W, Williams J, Smallwood P, Touchman J, Roman L, Nathans J. Proximal and distal sequences control UV cone pigment gene expression in transgenic zebrafish. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:19286-93 pubmed..These experiments demonstrate the power of transient transgenesis in zebrafish to efficiently define cis-acting regulatory sequences in an intact vertebrate. ..
- Weber A, Hochmann S, Cimalla P, Gärtner M, Kuscha V, Hans S, et al. Characterization of light lesion paradigms and optical coherence tomography as tools to study adult retina regeneration in zebrafish. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e80483 pubmed publisher..Collectively, the light lesion and imaging assays described here represent powerful tools for studying degeneration and regeneration processes in the adult zebrafish retina. ..
- Ziv L, Tovin A, Strasser D, Gothilf Y. Spectral sensitivity of melatonin suppression in the zebrafish pineal gland. Exp Eye Res. 2007;84:92-9 pubmed..Therefore, additional pineal photopigments may contribute to the melatonin-suppression response in the pineal gland. ..
- Yoshimatsu T, D Orazi F, Gamlin C, Suzuki S, Suli A, Kimelman D, et al. Presynaptic partner selection during retinal circuit reassembly varies with timing of neuronal regeneration in vivo. Nat Commun. 2016;7:10590 pubmed publisher..Further, we postulate that signals from the major input that shape the H3 HC's wiring pattern during development persist to restrict miswiring after damage. ..
- Koyanagi M, Wada S, Kawano Yamashita E, Hara Y, Kuraku S, Kosaka S, et al. Diversification of non-visual photopigment parapinopsin in spectral sensitivity for diverse pineal functions. BMC Biol. 2015;13:73 pubmed publisher..Current findings could also provide an opportunity to understand the "color" preference of non-visual photoreception. ..
- Murphy T, Vihtelic T, Ile K, Watson C, Willer G, Gregg R, et al. Phosphatidylinositol synthase is required for lens structural integrity and photoreceptor cell survival in the zebrafish eye. Exp Eye Res. 2011;93:460-74 pubmed publisher..These zebrafish cdipt alleles represent excellent in vivo genetic tools to study the role of phosphatidylinositol and its phosphorylated derivatives in lens and photoreceptor development and maintenance. ..
- Zhang X, Hong Q, Yang L, Zhang M, Guo X, Chi X, et al. PCB1254 exposure contributes to the abnormalities of optomotor responses and influence of the photoreceptor cell development in zebrafish larvae. Ecotoxicol Environ Saf. 2015;118:133-8 pubmed publisher..OMR test was used to detect the visual behavior. The mRNA expression of the CRX, RHO, SWS1, and SWS2 was assessed by the Quantitative Real-Time PCR...
- Li L, Nakaya N, Chavali V, Ma Z, Jiao X, Sieving P, et al. A mutation in ZNF513, a putative regulator of photoreceptor development, causes autosomal-recessive retinitis pigmentosa. Am J Hum Genet. 2010;87:400-9 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that the ZNF513 p.C339R mutation is responsible for RP in this family and that ZNF513 plays a key role in the regulation of photoreceptor-specific genes in retinal development and photoreceptor maintenance. ..
- Duval M, Oel A, Allison W. gdf6a is required for cone photoreceptor subtype differentiation and for the actions of tbx2b in determining rod versus cone photoreceptor fate. PLoS ONE. 2014;9:e92991 pubmed publisher..cone photoreceptors. Understanding this interaction is a necessary step in the refinement of stem cell-based restoration of daytime vision in humans. ..
- Li W, Zhou L, Li Z, Wang Y, Shi J, Yang Y, et al. Zebrafish Lbh-like Is Required for Otx2-mediated Photoreceptor Differentiation. Int J Biol Sci. 2015;11:688-700 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, knockdown of lbh-like increases the activity of Notch pathway and perturbs the balance among proliferation, differentiation and survival of photoreceptor precursors. ..
- Kim J, Yang H, Oel A, Brooks M, Jia L, Plachetzki D, et al. Recruitment of Rod Photoreceptors from Short-Wavelength-Sensitive Cones during the Evolution of Nocturnal Vision in Mammals. Dev Cell. 2016;37:520-32 pubmed publisher..We propose that this developmental mechanism allowed the adaptive exploitation of scotopic niches during the nocturnal bottleneck early in mammalian evolution. ..
- Yu M, Liu Y, Li J, Natale B, Cao S, Wang D, et al. Eyes shut homolog is required for maintaining the ciliary pocket and survival of photoreceptors in zebrafish. Biol Open. 2016;5:1662-1673 pubmed publisher..Our results indicate that EYS protein localization is species-dependent and that EYS is required for maintaining ciliary pocket morphology and survival of photoreceptors in zebrafish. ..
- Zhang L, CHO J, Ptak D, Leung Y. The role of egr1 in early zebrafish retinogenesis. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e56108 pubmed publisher..This abnormal and prolonged expression of ptf1a during retinogenesis might affect the differentiation of ACs and HCs in the Egr1-knockdown retinas. ..
- Boisset G, Schorderet D. Zebrafish hmx1 promotes retinogenesis. Exp Eye Res. 2012;105:34-42 pubmed publisher..However, the key patterning genes tested so far were not regulated by hmx1. Altogether, these results suggest an important role for hmx1 in retinogenesis. ..
- Chen L, Huang Y, Huang C, Hu B, Hu C, Zhou B. Acute exposure to DE-71 causes alterations in visual behavior in zebrafish larvae. Environ Toxicol Chem. 2013;32:1370-5 pubmed publisher..Analysis of these visual behavioral paradigms may be useful in predicting the adverse effects of toxicants on visual function in fish. ..
- Krock B, Bilotta J, Perkins B. Noncell-autonomous photoreceptor degeneration in a zebrafish model of choroideremia. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2007;104:4600-5 pubmed..These results suggest that therapies that correct the RPE may successfully rescue photoreceptor loss in choroideremia...
- Chinen A, Matsumoto Y, Kawamura S. Spectral differentiation of blue opsins between phylogenetically close but ecologically distant goldfish and zebrafish. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:9460-6 pubmed..The peak absorption spectrum (lambdamax) of the zebrafish blue (SWS2) visual pigment is consistently shifted to short wavelength (416 nm) compared with that of the goldfish SWS2 (443 ..
- Chen Q, Gundlach M, Yang S, Jiang J, Velki M, Yin D, et al. Quantitative investigation of the mechanisms of microplastics and nanoplastics toward zebrafish larvae locomotor activity. Sci Total Environ. 2017;584-585:1022-1031 pubmed publisher..body length by 6%, inhibited the acetylcholinesterase activity by 40%, and upregulated gfap, ?1-tubulin, zfrho and zfblue gene expression significantly...
- Bellingham J, Whitmore D, Philp A, Wells D, Foster R. Zebrafish melanopsin: isolation, tissue localisation and phylogenetic position. Brain Res Mol Brain Res. 2002;107:128-36 pubmed..They might represent a separate branch of photopigment evolution in the vertebrates or they may have a non-direct photosensory function, perhaps as a photoisomerase, in non-rod, non-cone light detection. ..
- Stenkamp D, Satterfield R, Muhunthan K, Sherpa T, Vihtelic T, Cameron D. Age-related cone abnormalities in zebrafish with genetic lesions in sonic hedgehog. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2008;49:4631-40 pubmed publisher..zebrafish subjected to light-induced photoreceptor damage followed by regeneration, were hybridized with blue cone opsin cRNA for quantitative analysis of the blue cone pattern...
- Xu T, Chen L, Hu C, Zhou B. Effects of acute exposure to polybrominated diphenyl ethers on retinoid signaling in zebrafish larvae. Environ Toxicol Pharmacol. 2013;35:13-20 pubmed publisher..However, the transcriptions of five opsin genes (zfrho, zfuv, zfred, zfblue, and zfgr1) were up-regulated...
- Thummel R, Kassen S, Montgomery J, Enright J, Hyde D. Inhibition of Müller glial cell division blocks regeneration of the light-damaged zebrafish retina. Dev Neurobiol. 2008;68:392-408 pubmed
- Li M, Wang X, Zhu J, Zhu S, Hu X, Zhu C, et al. Toxic effects of polychlorinated biphenyls on cardiac development in zebrafish. Mol Biol Rep. 2014;41:7973-83 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, PCBs can induce developmental defects in the zebrafish heart, which may be mediated by abnormal RA signaling. ..
- Houbrechts A, Vergauwen L, Bagci E, Van Houcke J, Heijlen M, Kulemeka B, et al. Deiodinase knockdown affects zebrafish eye development at the level of gene expression, morphology and function. Mol Cell Endocrinol. 2016;424:81-93 pubmed publisher..These data demonstrate the importance of TH-activating and -inactivating Ds for correct zebrafish eye development, and point to D3b as a central player. ..
- Morrissey M, Shelton S, Brockerhoff S, Hurley J, Kennedy B. PRE-1, a cis element sufficient to enhance cone- and rod- specific expression in differentiating zebrafish photoreceptors. BMC Dev Biol. 2011;11:3 pubmed publisher..PRE-1 is a novel cis-regulatory module that is sufficient to enhance the initiation of photoreceptor-specific gene expression in differentiating rod and cone photoreceptors. ..
- Zhang L, Zhang X, Zhang G, Pang C, Leung Y, Zhang M, et al. Expression profiling of the retina of pde6c, a zebrafish model of retinal degeneration. Sci Data. 2017;4:170182 pubmed publisher..This dataset will facilitate the characterization of the molecular defects in the pde6c retina at the initial stage of retinal degeneration. ..
- Stevens C, Cameron D, Stenkamp D. Plasticity of photoreceptor-generating retinal progenitors revealed by prolonged retinoic acid exposure. BMC Dev Biol. 2011;11:51 pubmed publisher..In zebrafish RA may influence the rod vs. cone cell fate decision. The RAR?b receptor mediates the effects of endogenous, as well as exogenous RA, on rod development. ..
- Kennedy M, Dunn F, Hurley J. Visual pigment phosphorylation but not transducin translocation can contribute to light adaptation in zebrafish cones. Neuron. 2004;41:915-28 pubmed..Immunocytochemical analyses revealed that neither light nor cytoplasmic Ca2+ influences the localization of transducin in zebrafish cones. ..
- Yoshimatsu T, Williams P, D Orazi F, Suzuki S, Fadool J, Allison W, et al. Transmission from the dominant input shapes the stereotypic ratio of photoreceptor inputs onto horizontal cells. Nat Commun. 2014;5:3699 pubmed publisher..Thus, biased connectivity in this circuit is established by an unusual activity-dependent, unidirectional control of synaptogenesis exerted by the dominant input. ..
- Morrow J, Lazic S, Chang B. A novel rhodopsin-like gene expressed in zebrafish retina. Vis Neurosci. 2011;28:325-35 pubmed publisher..The discovery of a new previously uncharacterized opsin gene in zebrafish retina is surprising given its status as a model system for studies of vertebrate vision and visual development. ..
- Vihtelic T, Yamamoto Y, Springer S, Jeffery W, Hyde D. Lens opacity and photoreceptor degeneration in the zebrafish lens opaque mutant. Dev Dyn. 2005;233:52-65 pubmed..The lop mutant phenotype supports recent studies showing the lens has a role in regulating teleost retinal development. ..
- Rai K, Jafri I, Chidester S, James S, Karpf A, Cairns B, et al. Dnmt3 and G9a cooperate for tissue-specific development in zebrafish. J Biol Chem. 2010;285:4110-21 pubmed publisher..We propose a model wherein specific DNMT-histone methyltransferase networks are utilized to silence critical regulators of cell fate in a tissue-specific manner. ..
- Lewis T, Kundinger S, Pavlovich A, Bostrom J, Link B, Besharse J. Cos2/Kif7 and Osm-3/Kif17 regulate onset of outer segment development in zebrafish photoreceptors through distinct mechanisms. Dev Biol. 2017;425:176-190 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, we show that both osm-3/kif17 and cos2/kif7 have comparable outer segment developmental delays, although through independent mechanisms. ..
- Helvik J, Drivenes O, Naess T, Fjose A, Seo H. Molecular cloning and characterization of five opsin genes from the marine flatfish Atlantic halibut (Hippoglossus hippoglossus). Vis Neurosci. 2001;18:767-80 pubmed..This work shows for the first time molecular isolation of a complete set of retinal visual pigment genes from a marine teleost and describes the first cloning of an ultraviolet-sensitive opsin type from a marine teleost. ..
- Trede N, Medenbach J, Damianov A, Hung L, Weber G, Paw B, et al. Network of coregulated spliceosome components revealed by zebrafish mutant in recycling factor p110. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2007;104:6608-13 pubmed..Together, our data demonstrate that a mutation in a general splicing factor can lead to distinct defects in organ development and cause disease. ..