Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: opn1sw1
Description: opsin 1 (cone pigments), short-wave-sensitive 1
Alias: SWS1, opn1sw2, uvops, zfuv, opsin-1, short-wave-sensitive 1, opsin 1 (cone pigments), short-wave-sensitive, 2, opsin SWS-1, short-wavelength-sensitive-1 cone opsin, ultraviolet cone photoreceptor pigment, ultraviolet-sensitive opsin
- Allison W, Barthel L, Skebo K, Takechi M, Kawamura S, Raymond P. Ontogeny of cone photoreceptor mosaics in zebrafish. J Comp Neurol. 2010;518:4182-95 pubmed publisher..These observations provide baseline data for understanding the development of cone mosaics via comparative analysis of larval and adult cone development in a model species. ..
- Zhang Y, Yang Y, Trujillo C, Zhong W, Leung Y. The expression of irx7 in the inner nuclear layer of zebrafish retina is essential for a proper retinal development and lamination. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e36145 pubmed publisher..Since the expression of known TFs that can specify specific retinal cell type was also altered in Irx7-deficient retinas, thus the irx7 gene network is possibly a novel regulatory circuit for retinal development and lamination. ..
- Takechi M, Kawamura S. Temporal and spatial changes in the expression pattern of multiple red and green subtype opsin genes during zebrafish development. J Exp Biol. 2005;208:1337-45 pubmed..These results provide the framework for subsequent studies of opsin gene regulation and for probing functional rationale of the developmental changes by using the power of zebrafish genetics. ..
- Shen Y, Raymond P. Zebrafish cone-rod (crx) homeobox gene promotes retinogenesis. Dev Biol. 2004;269:237-51 pubmed..These results suggest novel functions for zebrafish crx during retinal specification and differentiation. ..
- Raymond P, Barthel L. A moving wave patterns the cone photoreceptor mosaic array in the zebrafish retina. Int J Dev Biol. 2004;48:935-45 pubmed
- Chinen A, Hamaoka T, Yamada Y, Kawamura S. Gene duplication and spectral diversification of cone visual pigments of zebrafish. Genetics. 2003;163:663-75 pubmed..has two red (LWS-1 and LWS-2), four green (RH2-1, RH2-2, RH2-3, and RH2-4), and single blue (SWS2) and ultraviolet (SWS1) opsin genes in the genome, among which LWS-2, RH2-2, and RH2-3 are novel...
- Luo W, Williams J, Smallwood P, Touchman J, Roman L, Nathans J. Proximal and distal sequences control UV cone pigment gene expression in transgenic zebrafish. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:19286-93 pubmed..These experiments demonstrate the power of transient transgenesis in zebrafish to efficiently define cis-acting regulatory sequences in an intact vertebrate. ..
- Alvarez Delfin K, Morris A, Snelson C, Gamse J, Gupta T, Marlow F, et al. Tbx2b is required for ultraviolet photoreceptor cell specification during zebrafish retinal development. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2009;106:2023-8 pubmed publisher..Based upon these data, we propose a previously undescribed function for tbx2b in photoreceptor cell precursors, to promote the UV cone fate by repressing the rod differentiation pathway. ..
- Smyth V, Di Lorenzo D, Kennedy B. A novel, evolutionarily conserved enhancer of cone photoreceptor-specific expression. J Biol Chem. 2008;283:10881-91 pubmed publisher..Bioinformatic alignments reveal that CPRE-1 sites are evolutionarily conserved in the promoter regions of fish, rodent, and mammalian TalphaC orthologues and identify a 5'-CTGGAGTG(A/T)TGGA(G/A)GCAGGG(G/C)T-3' consensus sequence. ..
- Tsujimura T, Chinen A, Kawamura S. Identification of a locus control region for quadruplicated green-sensitive opsin genes in zebrafish. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2007;104:12813-8 pubmed..5-kb region in the PAC clone conferred the highest expression for its proximal gene. The 0.5-kb region was thus designated as RH2-LCR analogous to the locus control region of the L-M opsin genes of primates. ..
- Robinson J, Schmitt E, Harosi F, Reece R, Dowling J. Zebrafish ultraviolet visual pigment: absorption spectrum, sequence, and localization. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1993;90:6009-12 pubmed..However, it is unique in possessing a lysine residue at position 126, which may account for the UV-sensitivity of the pigment. ..
- Campbell L, Jensen A. Phosphodiesterase Inhibitors Sildenafil and Vardenafil Reduce Zebrafish Rod Photoreceptor Outer Segment Shedding. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2017;58:5604-5615 pubmed publisher..The data show that the influence of the light-dark cycle on ROS renewal is regulated, in part, by initiating the shedding process through activation of the phototransduction machinery. ..
- Lu X, Xiang Y, Yang G, Zhang L, Wang H, Zhong S. Transcriptomic characterization of zebrafish larvae in response to mercury exposure. Comp Biochem Physiol C Toxicol Pharmacol. 2017;192:40-49 pubmed publisher..Thus, these findings provide useful insights to help further understand the transcriptional response and detoxification ability of zebrafish larvae following acute exposure to mercury. ..
- Koyanagi M, Wada S, Kawano Yamashita E, Hara Y, Kuraku S, Kosaka S, et al. Diversification of non-visual photopigment parapinopsin in spectral sensitivity for diverse pineal functions. BMC Biol. 2015;13:73 pubmed publisher..Current findings could also provide an opportunity to understand the "color" preference of non-visual photoreception. ..
- Hahn Y, Lee Y, Yun J, Yang S, Park C, Mita K, et al. Duplication of genes encoding non-clathrin coat protein gamma-COP in vertebrate, insect and plant evolution. FEBS Lett. 2000;482:31-6 pubmed..A phylogenetic analysis with partial plant cDNA sequences suggested that copg gene was also duplicated in the grass family (Poaceae). ..
- Murphy T, Vihtelic T, Ile K, Watson C, Willer G, Gregg R, et al. Phosphatidylinositol synthase is required for lens structural integrity and photoreceptor cell survival in the zebrafish eye. Exp Eye Res. 2011;93:460-74 pubmed publisher..These zebrafish cdipt alleles represent excellent in vivo genetic tools to study the role of phosphatidylinositol and its phosphorylated derivatives in lens and photoreceptor development and maintenance. ..
- Chen L, Huang Y, Huang C, Hu B, Hu C, Zhou B. Acute exposure to DE-71 causes alterations in visual behavior in zebrafish larvae. Environ Toxicol Chem. 2013;32:1370-5 pubmed publisher..Analysis of these visual behavioral paradigms may be useful in predicting the adverse effects of toxicants on visual function in fish. ..
- Yu M, Liu Y, Li J, Natale B, Cao S, Wang D, et al. Eyes shut homolog is required for maintaining the ciliary pocket and survival of photoreceptors in zebrafish. Biol Open. 2016;5:1662-1673 pubmed publisher..Our results indicate that EYS protein localization is species-dependent and that EYS is required for maintaining ciliary pocket morphology and survival of photoreceptors in zebrafish. ..
- Weber A, Hochmann S, Cimalla P, Gärtner M, Kuscha V, Hans S, et al. Characterization of light lesion paradigms and optical coherence tomography as tools to study adult retina regeneration in zebrafish. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e80483 pubmed publisher..Collectively, the light lesion and imaging assays described here represent powerful tools for studying degeneration and regeneration processes in the adult zebrafish retina. ..
- Yoshimatsu T, D Orazi F, Gamlin C, Suzuki S, Suli A, Kimelman D, et al. Presynaptic partner selection during retinal circuit reassembly varies with timing of neuronal regeneration in vivo. Nat Commun. 2016;7:10590 pubmed publisher..Further, we postulate that signals from the major input that shape the H3 HC's wiring pattern during development persist to restrict miswiring after damage. ..
- Duval M, Oel A, Allison W. gdf6a is required for cone photoreceptor subtype differentiation and for the actions of tbx2b in determining rod versus cone photoreceptor fate. PLoS ONE. 2014;9:e92991 pubmed publisher..cone photoreceptors. Understanding this interaction is a necessary step in the refinement of stem cell-based restoration of daytime vision in humans. ..
- Morrow J, Lazic S, Chang B. A novel rhodopsin-like gene expressed in zebrafish retina. Vis Neurosci. 2011;28:325-35 pubmed publisher..The discovery of a new previously uncharacterized opsin gene in zebrafish retina is surprising given its status as a model system for studies of vertebrate vision and visual development. ..
- Chen J, Huang C, Zheng L, Simonich M, Bai C, Tanguay R, et al. Trimethyltin chloride (TMT) neurobehavioral toxicity in embryonic zebrafish. Neurotoxicol Teratol. 2011;33:721-6 pubmed publisher..Our study demonstrates the morphological and behavioral sensitivity of the developing zebrafish to TMT and establishes a platform for future identification of the affected pathways and chemical modulators of TMT toxicity. ..
- Aluru N, Jenny M, Hahn M. Knockdown of a zebrafish aryl hydrocarbon receptor repressor (AHRRa) affects expression of genes related to photoreceptor development and hematopoiesis. Toxicol Sci. 2014;139:381-95 pubmed publisher..genes were several related to photoreceptor function, including cone-specific genes such as several opsins (opn1sw1, opn1sw2, opn1mw1, and opn1lw2), phosphodiesterases (pde6H and pde6C), retinol binding protein (rbp4l), phosducin,..
- Muralidharan P, Sarmah S, Marrs J. Zebrafish retinal defects induced by ethanol exposure are rescued by retinoic acid and folic acid supplement. Alcohol. 2015;49:149-63 pubmed publisher..Our results indicate that various ethanol-sensitive events underlie FASD-associated retinal defects. Nutrient supplements like retinoids and folate were effective in alleviating ethanol-induced retinal defects. ..
- Ye L, Robertson M, Hesselson D, Stainier D, Anderson R. Glucagon is essential for alpha cell transdifferentiation and beta cell neogenesis. Development. 2015;142:1407-17 pubmed publisher..It further reveals that glucagon plays an important role in maintaining endocrine cell homeostasis through feedback mechanisms that govern cell fate stability. ..
- Houbrechts A, Vergauwen L, Bagci E, Van Houcke J, Heijlen M, Kulemeka B, et al. Deiodinase knockdown affects zebrafish eye development at the level of gene expression, morphology and function. Mol Cell Endocrinol. 2016;424:81-93 pubmed publisher..These data demonstrate the importance of TH-activating and -inactivating Ds for correct zebrafish eye development, and point to D3b as a central player. ..
- McMahon C, Semina E, Link B. Using zebrafish to study the complex genetics of glaucoma. Comp Biochem Physiol C Toxicol Pharmacol. 2004;138:343-50 pubmed..With zebrafish, forward and reverse genetic approaches can be combined in order to identify critical genetic interactions required for normal and pathological events in the development and maintenance of the eye. ..
- Xu T, Chen L, Hu C, Zhou B. Effects of acute exposure to polybrominated diphenyl ethers on retinoid signaling in zebrafish larvae. Environ Toxicol Pharmacol. 2013;35:13-20 pubmed publisher..However, the transcriptions of five opsin genes (zfrho, zfuv, zfred, zfblue, and zfgr1) were up-regulated...
- Xu T, Zhao J, Yin D, Zhao Q, Dong B. High-throughput RNA sequencing reveals the effects of 2,2',4,4' -tetrabromodiphenyl ether on retina and bone development of zebrafish larvae. BMC Genomics. 2015;16:23 pubmed publisher..Body curvature arose from enhanced bone resorption because of the intensive up-regulation of related genes. We also proposed the larval retina as a novel potential target tissue for BDE47 exposure. ..
- Boisset G, Schorderet D. Zebrafish hmx1 promotes retinogenesis. Exp Eye Res. 2012;105:34-42 pubmed publisher..However, the key patterning genes tested so far were not regulated by hmx1. Altogether, these results suggest an important role for hmx1 in retinogenesis. ..
- Cheng C, Flamarique I. Photoreceptor distribution in the retina of adult Pacific salmon: corner cones express blue opsin. Vis Neurosci. 2007;24:269-76 pubmed..Single cones can have opsins maximally sensitive to ultraviolet (UV) or blue light (SWS1 and SWS2 opsins, respectively). In Pacific salmonids, all single cones express UV opsin at hatching...
- Schmitt E, Hyatt G, Dowling J. Erratum: Temporal and spatial patterns of opsin gene expression in the zebrafish (Danio rerio): corrections with additions. Vis Neurosci. 1999;16:601-5 pubmed..Curiously, morphological development of the cones is in reverse order; UV cones appear quite mature by day 6-7 postfertilization (pf), but morphologically, red cones do not appear adult-like until 15-20 days pf. ..
- Wang Y, Chen J, Du C, LI C, Huang C, Dong Q. Characterization of retinoic acid-induced neurobehavioral effects in developing zebrafish. Environ Toxicol Chem. 2014;33:431-7 pubmed publisher..a (rgr), the photoreceptor cell marker rhodopsin (rho), and the short wave-sensitive cone pigment opsin 1 (opn1sw1) being overexpressed. Increased expression of opn1sw1 and rho was confirmed by whole-mount in situ hybridization...
- Liu Y, Chen X, Qin B, Zhao K, Zhao Q, Staley J, et al. Knocking Down Snrnp200 Initiates Demorphogenesis of Rod Photoreceptors in Zebrafish. J Ophthalmol. 2015;2015:816329 pubmed publisher..Conclusions. We conclude that knocking down Snrnp200 in zebrafish could alter regular splicing and expression of a panel of genes, which may eventually trigger rod defects. ..
- Burrows J, Pearson B, Scott I. An inÂ vivo requirement for the mediator subunit med14 in the maintenance of stem cell populations. Stem Cell Reports. 2015;4:670-84 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our results show a critical, evolutionarily conserved, inÂ vivo function for Med14 (and Mediator) in stem cell maintenance, distinct from a general role in transcription. ..
- Fraser B, Duval M, Wang H, Allison W. Regeneration of cone photoreceptors when cell ablation is primarily restricted to a particular cone subtype. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e55410 pubmed publisher..Our novel animal model provides control of ablation that will assist in identifying mechanisms required to replace cone photoreceptors clinically to restore daytime vision. ..
- Zhang X, Hong Q, Yang L, Zhang M, Guo X, Chi X, et al. PCB1254 exposure contributes to the abnormalities of optomotor responses and influence of the photoreceptor cell development in zebrafish larvae. Ecotoxicol Environ Saf. 2015;118:133-8 pubmed publisher..OMR test was used to detect the visual behavior. The mRNA expression of the CRX, RHO, SWS1, and SWS2 was assessed by the Quantitative Real-Time PCR...
- Shi X, Bosenko D, Zinkevich N, Foley S, Hyde D, Semina E, et al. Zebrafish pitx3 is necessary for normal lens and retinal development. Mech Dev. 2005;122:513-27 pubmed..These results demonstrate zebrafish pitx3 represents a true ortholog of the human PITX3 gene and the general function of the Pitx3 protein in lens development is conserved between mammals and the teleost fish. ..
- Ziv L, Tovin A, Strasser D, Gothilf Y. Spectral sensitivity of melatonin suppression in the zebrafish pineal gland. Exp Eye Res. 2007;84:92-9 pubmed..Therefore, additional pineal photopigments may contribute to the melatonin-suppression response in the pineal gland. ..
- Zhang L, CHO J, Ptak D, Leung Y. The role of egr1 in early zebrafish retinogenesis. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e56108 pubmed publisher..This abnormal and prolonged expression of ptf1a during retinogenesis might affect the differentiation of ACs and HCs in the Egr1-knockdown retinas. ..
- Li W, Zhou L, Li Z, Wang Y, Shi J, Yang Y, et al. Zebrafish Lbh-like Is Required for Otx2-mediated Photoreceptor Differentiation. Int J Biol Sci. 2015;11:688-700 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, knockdown of lbh-like increases the activity of Notch pathway and perturbs the balance among proliferation, differentiation and survival of photoreceptor precursors. ..
- Li L, Nakaya N, Chavali V, Ma Z, Jiao X, Sieving P, et al. A mutation in ZNF513, a putative regulator of photoreceptor development, causes autosomal-recessive retinitis pigmentosa. Am J Hum Genet. 2010;87:400-9 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that the ZNF513 p.C339R mutation is responsible for RP in this family and that ZNF513 plays a key role in the regulation of photoreceptor-specific genes in retinal development and photoreceptor maintenance. ..
- Stuckenholz C, Lu L, Thakur P, Kaminski N, Bahary N. FACS-assisted microarray profiling implicates novel genes and pathways in zebrafish gastrointestinal tract development. Gastroenterology. 2009;137:1321-32 pubmed publisher..These experiments identify novel genes and pathways that probably play a role in mammalian gastrointestinal development and are potential targets for therapeutic intervention in the management of gastrointestinal disease and cancer. ..
- Kim J, Yang H, Oel A, Brooks M, Jia L, Plachetzki D, et al. Recruitment of Rod Photoreceptors from Short-Wavelength-Sensitive Cones during the Evolution of Nocturnal Vision in Mammals. Dev Cell. 2016;37:520-32 pubmed publisher..We propose that this developmental mechanism allowed the adaptive exploitation of scotopic niches during the nocturnal bottleneck early in mammalian evolution. ..
- Kennedy M, Dunn F, Hurley J. Visual pigment phosphorylation but not transducin translocation can contribute to light adaptation in zebrafish cones. Neuron. 2004;41:915-28 pubmed..Immunocytochemical analyses revealed that neither light nor cytoplasmic Ca2+ influences the localization of transducin in zebrafish cones. ..
- Vihtelic T, Yamamoto Y, Springer S, Jeffery W, Hyde D. Lens opacity and photoreceptor degeneration in the zebrafish lens opaque mutant. Dev Dyn. 2005;233:52-65 pubmed..The lop mutant phenotype supports recent studies showing the lens has a role in regulating teleost retinal development. ..
- Robinson J, Schmitt E, Dowling J. Temporal and spatial patterns of opsin gene expression in zebrafish (Danio rerio). Vis Neurosci. 1995;12:895-906 pubmed..In the pineal, red-sensitive opsin is expressed at 48 h postfertilization. Visual pigment expression provides a useful tool for investigations of early cell fate in zebrafish. ..
- Yoshimatsu T, Williams P, D Orazi F, Suzuki S, Fadool J, Allison W, et al. Transmission from the dominant input shapes the stereotypic ratio of photoreceptor inputs onto horizontal cells. Nat Commun. 2014;5:3699 pubmed publisher..Thus, biased connectivity in this circuit is established by an unusual activity-dependent, unidirectional control of synaptogenesis exerted by the dominant input. ..
- Lewis T, Kundinger S, Pavlovich A, Bostrom J, Link B, Besharse J. Cos2/Kif7 and Osm-3/Kif17 regulate onset of outer segment development in zebrafish photoreceptors through distinct mechanisms. Dev Biol. 2017;425:176-190 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, we show that both osm-3/kif17 and cos2/kif7 have comparable outer segment developmental delays, although through independent mechanisms. ..
- Helvik J, Drivenes O, Naess T, Fjose A, Seo H. Molecular cloning and characterization of five opsin genes from the marine flatfish Atlantic halibut (Hippoglossus hippoglossus). Vis Neurosci. 2001;18:767-80 pubmed..This work shows for the first time molecular isolation of a complete set of retinal visual pigment genes from a marine teleost and describes the first cloning of an ultraviolet-sensitive opsin type from a marine teleost. ..
- Rai K, Jafri I, Chidester S, James S, Karpf A, Cairns B, et al. Dnmt3 and G9a cooperate for tissue-specific development in zebrafish. J Biol Chem. 2010;285:4110-21 pubmed publisher..We propose a model wherein specific DNMT-histone methyltransferase networks are utilized to silence critical regulators of cell fate in a tissue-specific manner. ..
- Wang H, Kesinger J, Zhou Q, Wren J, Martin G, Turner S, et al. Identification and characterization of zebrafish ocular formation genes. Genome. 2008;51:222-35 pubmed publisher..8 down-regulated genes were characterized, including 4 eye-specific genes, opsin 1 short-wave-sensitive 1 (opn1sw1), crystallinbetaa1b (cryba1b), crystallinbetaa2b (cryba2b), and crystallingamma M2d3 (crygm2d3); 2 eye and brain ..
- Stevens C, Cameron D, Stenkamp D. Plasticity of photoreceptor-generating retinal progenitors revealed by prolonged retinoic acid exposure. BMC Dev Biol. 2011;11:51 pubmed publisher..In zebrafish RA may influence the rod vs. cone cell fate decision. The RAR?b receptor mediates the effects of endogenous, as well as exogenous RA, on rod development. ..
- Liu Q, Frey R, Babb Clendenon S, Liu B, Francl J, Wilson A, et al. Differential expression of photoreceptor-specific genes in the retina of a zebrafish cadherin2 mutant glass onion and zebrafish cadherin4 morphants. Exp Eye Res. 2007;84:163-75 pubmed..Our results suggest that cadherin2 and cadherin4 play important roles in the differentiation of zebrafish retinal photoreceptors. ..
- Huang L, Zuo Z, Zhang Y, Wu M, Lin J, Wang C. Use of toxicogenomics to predict the potential toxic effect of Benzo(a)pyrene on zebrafish embryos: ocular developmental toxicity. Chemosphere. 2014;108:55-61 pubmed publisher..Our results were helpful for an understanding of the toxicity of BaP. This study also indicated that microarray analysis was effective for predicting the potential toxicity of chemicals with high sensitivity and accuracy. ..
- West M, Campbell L, Willoughby J, Jensen A. Two types of transgenic lines for doxycycline-inducible, cell-specific gene expression in zebrafish ultraviolet cone photoreceptors. Gene Expr Patterns. 2014;14:96-104 pubmed publisher..tetracycline-controlled transcriptional transactivator (rtTA) gene driven by the UV opsin-specific promoter (opn1sw1) were used to generate stable transgenic zebrafish lines using the Tol2-based transgenesis method...
- Feng D, Chen Z, Yang K, Miao S, Xu B, Kang Y, et al. The cytoplasmic tail of rhodopsin triggers rapid rod degeneration in kinesin-2 mutants. J Biol Chem. 2017;292:17375-17386 pubmed publisher..Our results demonstrate a previously unknown function of the rhodopsin cytoplasmic domain during opsin-triggered photoreceptor degeneration and may open up new avenues for managing this disease. ..
- Zhang L, Zhang X, Zhang G, Pang C, Leung Y, Zhang M, et al. Expression profiling of the retina of pde6c, a zebrafish model of retinal degeneration. Sci Data. 2017;4:170182 pubmed publisher..This dataset will facilitate the characterization of the molecular defects in the pde6c retina at the initial stage of retinal degeneration. ..
- Chen X, Liu Y, Sheng X, Tam P, Zhao K, Chen X, et al. PRPF4 mutations cause autosomal dominant retinitis pigmentosa. Hum Mol Genet. 2014;23:2926-39 pubmed publisher..We conclude that mutations of PRPF4 cause RP via haploinsufficiency and dominant-negative effects, and establish PRPF4 as a new U4/U6-U5 snRNP component associated with adRP. ..
- Chen X, Sheng X, Zhuang W, Sun X, Liu G, Shi X, et al. GUCA1A mutation causes maculopathy in a five-generation family with a wide spectrum of severity. Genet Med. 2017;19:945-954 pubmed publisher..The diverse pathogenic modes of GUCA1A mutations may explain the phenotypic diversities.Genet Med advance online publication 26 January 2017. ..
- Morrissey M, Shelton S, Brockerhoff S, Hurley J, Kennedy B. PRE-1, a cis element sufficient to enhance cone- and rod- specific expression in differentiating zebrafish photoreceptors. BMC Dev Biol. 2011;11:3 pubmed publisher..PRE-1 is a novel cis-regulatory module that is sufficient to enhance the initiation of photoreceptor-specific gene expression in differentiating rod and cone photoreceptors. ..