Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: opn1mw1
Description: opsin 1 (cone pigments), medium-wave-sensitive, 1
Alias: RH2-1, grops1, rh2.1, zfgr1, green-sensitive opsin-1, green cone photoreceptor pigment 1, opsin RH2-1, opsin-1, medium-wave-sensitive 1, rhodopsin-like-2.1 cone opsin
- Pretorius P, Baye L, Nishimura D, Searby C, Bugge K, Yang B, et al. Identification and functional analysis of the vision-specific BBS3 (ARL6) long isoform. PLoS Genet. 2010;6:e1000884 pubmed publisher..Bbs3L-null mice lack key features of previously published Bbs-null mice, including obesity. These data demonstrate that the BBS3L transcript is required for proper retinal function and organization. ..
- Chinen A, Hamaoka T, Yamada Y, Kawamura S. Gene duplication and spectral diversification of cone visual pigments of zebrafish. Genetics. 2003;163:663-75 pubmed
- Kennedy M, Dunn F, Hurley J. Visual pigment phosphorylation but not transducin translocation can contribute to light adaptation in zebrafish cones. Neuron. 2004;41:915-28 pubmed..Immunocytochemical analyses revealed that neither light nor cytoplasmic Ca2+ influences the localization of transducin in zebrafish cones. ..
- Vihtelic T, Yamamoto Y, Springer S, Jeffery W, Hyde D. Lens opacity and photoreceptor degeneration in the zebrafish lens opaque mutant. Dev Dyn. 2005;233:52-65 pubmed..The lop mutant phenotype supports recent studies showing the lens has a role in regulating teleost retinal development. ..
- Chinen A, Matsumoto Y, Kawamura S. Reconstitution of ancestral green visual pigments of zebrafish and molecular mechanism of their spectral differentiation. Mol Biol Evol. 2005;22:1001-10 pubmed..The four zebrafish RH2 pigments cover nearly an entire range of lambda(max) distribution among vertebrate RH2 pigments and provide an excellent model to study spectral tuning mechanisms of RH2 in vertebrates. ..
- Ziv L, Tovin A, Strasser D, Gothilf Y. Spectral sensitivity of melatonin suppression in the zebrafish pineal gland. Exp Eye Res. 2007;84:92-9 pubmed..Therefore, additional pineal photopigments may contribute to the melatonin-suppression response in the pineal gland. ..
- Luo W, Williams J, Smallwood P, Touchman J, Roman L, Nathans J. Proximal and distal sequences control UV cone pigment gene expression in transgenic zebrafish. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:19286-93 pubmed..These experiments demonstrate the power of transient transgenesis in zebrafish to efficiently define cis-acting regulatory sequences in an intact vertebrate. ..
- Muto A, Taylor M, Suzawa M, Korenbrot J, Baier H. Glucocorticoid receptor activity regulates light adaptation in the zebrafish retina. Front Neural Circuits. 2013;7:145 pubmed publisher..We suggest that GR controls a gene network required for visual adaptation in the zebrafish retina and potentially integrates neuroendocrine and sensory responses to environmental changes. ..
- Raymond P, Barthel L. A moving wave patterns the cone photoreceptor mosaic array in the zebrafish retina. Int J Dev Biol. 2004;48:935-45 pubmed
- Alvarez Delfin K, Morris A, Snelson C, Gamse J, Gupta T, Marlow F, et al. Tbx2b is required for ultraviolet photoreceptor cell specification during zebrafish retinal development. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2009;106:2023-8 pubmed publisher..Based upon these data, we propose a previously undescribed function for tbx2b in photoreceptor cell precursors, to promote the UV cone fate by repressing the rod differentiation pathway. ..
- Tsujimura T, Chinen A, Kawamura S. Identification of a locus control region for quadruplicated green-sensitive opsin genes in zebrafish. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2007;104:12813-8 pubmed..5-kb region in the PAC clone conferred the highest expression for its proximal gene. The 0.5-kb region was thus designated as RH2-LCR analogous to the locus control region of the L-M opsin genes of primates. ..
- Bernardos R, Lentz S, Wolfe M, Raymond P. Notch-Delta signaling is required for spatial patterning and Müller glia differentiation in the zebrafish retina. Dev Biol. 2005;278:381-95 pubmed..In contrast to neurons, Müller glia failed to differentiate suggesting an instructive role for Notch-Delta signaling in gliogenesis. ..
- Yu M, Liu Y, Li J, Natale B, Cao S, Wang D, et al. Eyes shut homolog is required for maintaining the ciliary pocket and survival of photoreceptors in zebrafish. Biol Open. 2016;5:1662-1673 pubmed publisher..Our results indicate that EYS protein localization is species-dependent and that EYS is required for maintaining ciliary pocket morphology and survival of photoreceptors in zebrafish. ..
- Li L, Nakaya N, Chavali V, Ma Z, Jiao X, Sieving P, et al. A mutation in ZNF513, a putative regulator of photoreceptor development, causes autosomal-recessive retinitis pigmentosa. Am J Hum Genet. 2010;87:400-9 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that the ZNF513 p.C339R mutation is responsible for RP in this family and that ZNF513 plays a key role in the regulation of photoreceptor-specific genes in retinal development and photoreceptor maintenance. ..
- Boisset G, Schorderet D. Zebrafish hmx1 promotes retinogenesis. Exp Eye Res. 2012;105:34-42 pubmed publisher..However, the key patterning genes tested so far were not regulated by hmx1. Altogether, these results suggest an important role for hmx1 in retinogenesis. ..
- Li W, Zhou L, Li Z, Wang Y, Shi J, Yang Y, et al. Zebrafish Lbh-like Is Required for Otx2-mediated Photoreceptor Differentiation. Int J Biol Sci. 2015;11:688-700 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, knockdown of lbh-like increases the activity of Notch pathway and perturbs the balance among proliferation, differentiation and survival of photoreceptor precursors. ..
- Bellingham J, Whitmore D, Philp A, Wells D, Foster R. Zebrafish melanopsin: isolation, tissue localisation and phylogenetic position. Brain Res Mol Brain Res. 2002;107:128-36 pubmed..They might represent a separate branch of photopigment evolution in the vertebrates or they may have a non-direct photosensory function, perhaps as a photoisomerase, in non-rod, non-cone light detection. ..
- Prats E, Gómez Canela C, Ben Lulu S, Ziv T, Padrós F, Tornero D, et al. Modelling acrylamide acute neurotoxicity in zebrafish larvae. Sci Rep. 2017;7:13952 pubmed publisher..These data support the suitability of the developed zebrafish model for screening of molecules with therapeutic value against this toxic neuropathy. ..
- Krock B, Bilotta J, Perkins B. Noncell-autonomous photoreceptor degeneration in a zebrafish model of choroideremia. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2007;104:4600-5 pubmed..These results suggest that therapies that correct the RPE may successfully rescue photoreceptor loss in choroideremia...
- Tsujimura T, Masuda R, Ashino R, Kawamura S. Spatially differentiated expression of quadruplicated green-sensitive RH2 opsin genes in zebrafish is determined by proximal regulatory regions and gene order to the locus control region. BMC Genet. 2015;16:130 pubmed publisher..This combination of specificity and generality enables seemingly complicated spatial differentiation of duplicated opsin genes characteristic in fish. ..
- Chen L, Huang Y, Huang C, Hu B, Hu C, Zhou B. Acute exposure to DE-71 causes alterations in visual behavior in zebrafish larvae. Environ Toxicol Chem. 2013;32:1370-5 pubmed publisher..The results showed that the transcriptions of the opsin genes, zfrho and zfgr1, were significantly upregulated...
- Zou J, Yang X, Wei X. Restricted localization of ponli, a novel zebrafish MAGUK-family protein, to the inner segment interface areas between green, red, and blue cones. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2010;51:1738-46 pubmed publisher..Ponli is the first identified polarity protein that is not expressed in all types of photoreceptors. Ponli's selective distribution stimulates future investigations on its functions for photoreceptor mosaic formation. ..
- Chen Q, Gundlach M, Yang S, Jiang J, Velki M, Yin D, et al. Quantitative investigation of the mechanisms of microplastics and nanoplastics toward zebrafish larvae locomotor activity. Sci Total Environ. 2017;584-585:1022-1031 pubmed publisher..This study provides new insights into plastic particles' effects on zebrafish larvae, improving the understanding of their environmental risks to the aquatic environment. ..
- Takechi M, Kawamura S. Temporal and spatial changes in the expression pattern of multiple red and green subtype opsin genes during zebrafish development. J Exp Biol. 2005;208:1337-45 pubmed..These results provide the framework for subsequent studies of opsin gene regulation and for probing functional rationale of the developmental changes by using the power of zebrafish genetics. ..
- Linder B, Dill H, Hirmer A, Brocher J, Lee G, Mathavan S, et al. Systemic splicing factor deficiency causes tissue-specific defects: a zebrafish model for retinitis pigmentosa. Hum Mol Genet. 2011;20:368-77 pubmed publisher..Hence, various routes affecting the tri-snRNP can elicit tissue-specific gene expression defects and lead to the RP phenotype. ..
- Allison W, Barthel L, Skebo K, Takechi M, Kawamura S, Raymond P. Ontogeny of cone photoreceptor mosaics in zebrafish. J Comp Neurol. 2010;518:4182-95 pubmed publisher..These observations provide baseline data for understanding the development of cone mosaics via comparative analysis of larval and adult cone development in a model species. ..
- Zou J, Wang X, Wei X. Crb apical polarity proteins maintain zebrafish retinal cone mosaics via intercellular binding of their extracellular domains. Dev Cell. 2012;22:1261-74 pubmed publisher..Because Crb proteins are expressed in many types of epithelia, the Crb-based cell-cell adhesion may underlie cellular patterning in other epithelium-derived tissues as well. ..
- Morrow J, Lazic S, Dixon Fox M, Kuo C, Schott R, de A Gutierrez E, et al. A second visual rhodopsin gene, rh1-2, is expressed in zebrafish photoreceptors and found in other ray-finned fishes. J Exp Biol. 2017;220:294-303 pubmed publisher..The reasons for retention of this duplicate gene, as well as possible functional consequences for the visual system, are discussed. ..