Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: opn1lw1
Description: opsin 1 (cone pigments), long-wave-sensitive, 1
Alias: LWS-1, lws1, rdops, zfred, red-sensitive opsin-1, LC opsin, long-wavelength-sensitive-1 cone opsin, red cone photoreceptor pigment 1, red-sensitive opsin
- Hyatt G, Schmitt E, Fadool J, Dowling J. Retinoic acid alters photoreceptor development in vivo. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1996;93:13298-303 pubmed..Our data suggest that the RA signaling pathway is involved in the differentiation and maturation of both the rod and cone photoreceptors within the developing zebrafish retina. ..
- Zhang Y, Yang Y, Trujillo C, Zhong W, Leung Y. The expression of irx7 in the inner nuclear layer of zebrafish retina is essential for a proper retinal development and lamination. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e36145 pubmed publisher..Since the expression of known TFs that can specify specific retinal cell type was also altered in Irx7-deficient retinas, thus the irx7 gene network is possibly a novel regulatory circuit for retinal development and lamination. ..
- Luo W, Williams J, Smallwood P, Touchman J, Roman L, Nathans J. Proximal and distal sequences control UV cone pigment gene expression in transgenic zebrafish. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:19286-93 pubmed..These experiments demonstrate the power of transient transgenesis in zebrafish to efficiently define cis-acting regulatory sequences in an intact vertebrate. ..
- Shen Y, Raymond P. Zebrafish cone-rod (crx) homeobox gene promotes retinogenesis. Dev Biol. 2004;269:237-51 pubmed..These results suggest novel functions for zebrafish crx during retinal specification and differentiation. ..
- Chinen A, Hamaoka T, Yamada Y, Kawamura S. Gene duplication and spectral diversification of cone visual pigments of zebrafish. Genetics. 2003;163:663-75 pubmed
- Wada Y, Sugiyama J, Okano T, Fukada Y. GRK1 and GRK7: unique cellular distribution and widely different activities of opsin phosphorylation in the zebrafish rods and cones. J Neurochem. 2006;98:824-37 pubmed..The reinforced activity of the cone kinase should provide a strengthened shutoff mechanism of the light-signaling in the cone and contribute to the characteristics of the cone responses by reducing signal amplification efficiency. ..
- Tsujimura T, Chinen A, Kawamura S. Identification of a locus control region for quadruplicated green-sensitive opsin genes in zebrafish. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2007;104:12813-8 pubmed..5-kb region in the PAC clone conferred the highest expression for its proximal gene. The 0.5-kb region was thus designated as RH2-LCR analogous to the locus control region of the L-M opsin genes of primates. ..
- Alvarez Delfin K, Morris A, Snelson C, Gamse J, Gupta T, Marlow F, et al. Tbx2b is required for ultraviolet photoreceptor cell specification during zebrafish retinal development. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2009;106:2023-8 pubmed publisher..Based upon these data, we propose a previously undescribed function for tbx2b in photoreceptor cell precursors, to promote the UV cone fate by repressing the rod differentiation pathway. ..
- Fraser B, Duval M, Wang H, Allison W. Regeneration of cone photoreceptors when cell ablation is primarily restricted to a particular cone subtype. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e55410 pubmed publisher..Our novel animal model provides control of ablation that will assist in identifying mechanisms required to replace cone photoreceptors clinically to restore daytime vision. ..
- Smith S, Snell P, Gruetzner F, Bench A, Haaf T, Metcalfe J, et al. Analyses of the extent of shared synteny and conserved gene orders between the genome of Fugu rubripes and human 20q. Genome Res. 2002;12:776-84 pubmed
- Liu Y, Chen X, Qin B, Zhao K, Zhao Q, Staley J, et al. Knocking Down Snrnp200 Initiates Demorphogenesis of Rod Photoreceptors in Zebrafish. J Ophthalmol. 2015;2015:816329 pubmed publisher..Conclusions. We conclude that knocking down Snrnp200 in zebrafish could alter regular splicing and expression of a panel of genes, which may eventually trigger rod defects. ..
- Schmitt E, Hyatt G, Dowling J. Erratum: Temporal and spatial patterns of opsin gene expression in the zebrafish (Danio rerio): corrections with additions. Vis Neurosci. 1999;16:601-5 pubmed..Curiously, morphological development of the cones is in reverse order; UV cones appear quite mature by day 6-7 postfertilization (pf), but morphologically, red cones do not appear adult-like until 15-20 days pf. ..
- Takita S, Wada Y, Kawamura S. Effects of NDRG1 family proteins on photoreceptor outer segment morphology in zebrafish. Sci Rep. 2016;6:36590 pubmed publisher..The result shows that rod OS membrane structure is preserved in these taper-shaped OSs and therefore, suggests that tapered OS morphology is not related to the infolded membrane structure in cone OS. ..
- Pietri T, Roman A, Guyon N, Romano S, Washbourne P, Moens C, et al. The first mecp2-null zebrafish model shows altered motor behaviors. Front Neural Circuits. 2013;7:118 pubmed publisher..They present nonetheless clear behavioral alterations during their early development, including spontaneous and sensory-evoked motor anomalies, as well as defective thigmotaxis...
- Linder B, Dill H, Hirmer A, Brocher J, Lee G, Mathavan S, et al. Systemic splicing factor deficiency causes tissue-specific defects: a zebrafish model for retinitis pigmentosa. Hum Mol Genet. 2011;20:368-77 pubmed publisher..Hence, various routes affecting the tri-snRNP can elicit tissue-specific gene expression defects and lead to the RP phenotype. ..
- Prats E, Gómez Canela C, Ben Lulu S, Ziv T, Padrós F, Tornero D, et al. Modelling acrylamide acute neurotoxicity in zebrafish larvae. Sci Rep. 2017;7:13952 pubmed publisher..These data support the suitability of the developed zebrafish model for screening of molecules with therapeutic value against this toxic neuropathy. ..
- Mitchell D, Stevens C, Frey R, Hunter S, Ashino R, Kawamura S, et al. Retinoic Acid Signaling Regulates Differential Expression of the Tandemly-Duplicated Long Wavelength-Sensitive Cone Opsin Genes in Zebrafish. PLoS Genet. 2015;11:e1005483 pubmed publisher..Of interest, the LWS1 opsin gene was strongly upregulated by RA...
- Li P, Temple S, Gao Y, Haimberger T, Hawryshyn C, Li L. Circadian rhythms of behavioral cone sensitivity and long wavelength opsin mRNA expression: a correlation study in zebrafish. J Exp Biol. 2005;208:497-504 pubmed..investigate if the fluctuation of behavioral cone sensitivity correlates with opsin gene expression, we measured LC opsin mRNA expression at different times in the day and night under different lighting conditions...
- Chen L, Huang Y, Huang C, Hu B, Hu C, Zhou B. Acute exposure to DE-71 causes alterations in visual behavior in zebrafish larvae. Environ Toxicol Chem. 2013;32:1370-5 pubmed publisher..Analysis of these visual behavioral paradigms may be useful in predicting the adverse effects of toxicants on visual function in fish. ..
- Bellingham J, Whitmore D, Philp A, Wells D, Foster R. Zebrafish melanopsin: isolation, tissue localisation and phylogenetic position. Brain Res Mol Brain Res. 2002;107:128-36 pubmed..They might represent a separate branch of photopigment evolution in the vertebrates or they may have a non-direct photosensory function, perhaps as a photoisomerase, in non-rod, non-cone light detection. ..
- Zhang L, CHO J, Ptak D, Leung Y. The role of egr1 in early zebrafish retinogenesis. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e56108 pubmed publisher..This abnormal and prolonged expression of ptf1a during retinogenesis might affect the differentiation of ACs and HCs in the Egr1-knockdown retinas. ..
- Boisset G, Schorderet D. Zebrafish hmx1 promotes retinogenesis. Exp Eye Res. 2012;105:34-42 pubmed publisher..However, the key patterning genes tested so far were not regulated by hmx1. Altogether, these results suggest an important role for hmx1 in retinogenesis. ..
- Koyanagi M, Wada S, Kawano Yamashita E, Hara Y, Kuraku S, Kosaka S, et al. Diversification of non-visual photopigment parapinopsin in spectral sensitivity for diverse pineal functions. BMC Biol. 2015;13:73 pubmed publisher..Current findings could also provide an opportunity to understand the "color" preference of non-visual photoreception. ..
- Ziv L, Tovin A, Strasser D, Gothilf Y. Spectral sensitivity of melatonin suppression in the zebrafish pineal gland. Exp Eye Res. 2007;84:92-9 pubmed..Therefore, additional pineal photopigments may contribute to the melatonin-suppression response in the pineal gland. ..
- Lewis T, Kundinger S, Pavlovich A, Bostrom J, Link B, Besharse J. Cos2/Kif7 and Osm-3/Kif17 regulate onset of outer segment development in zebrafish photoreceptors through distinct mechanisms. Dev Biol. 2017;425:176-190 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, we show that both osm-3/kif17 and cos2/kif7 have comparable outer segment developmental delays, although through independent mechanisms. ..
- Li L, Nakaya N, Chavali V, Ma Z, Jiao X, Sieving P, et al. A mutation in ZNF513, a putative regulator of photoreceptor development, causes autosomal-recessive retinitis pigmentosa. Am J Hum Genet. 2010;87:400-9 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that the ZNF513 p.C339R mutation is responsible for RP in this family and that ZNF513 plays a key role in the regulation of photoreceptor-specific genes in retinal development and photoreceptor maintenance. ..
- Vihtelic T, Yamamoto Y, Springer S, Jeffery W, Hyde D. Lens opacity and photoreceptor degeneration in the zebrafish lens opaque mutant. Dev Dyn. 2005;233:52-65 pubmed..The lop mutant phenotype supports recent studies showing the lens has a role in regulating teleost retinal development. ..
- Helvik J, Drivenes O, Naess T, Fjose A, Seo H. Molecular cloning and characterization of five opsin genes from the marine flatfish Atlantic halibut (Hippoglossus hippoglossus). Vis Neurosci. 2001;18:767-80 pubmed..This work shows for the first time molecular isolation of a complete set of retinal visual pigment genes from a marine teleost and describes the first cloning of an ultraviolet-sensitive opsin type from a marine teleost. ..
- Tam K, Watson C, Massah S, Kolybaba A, Breden F, Prefontaine G, et al. Regulatory function of conserved sequences upstream of the long-wave sensitive opsin genes in teleost fishes. Vision Res. 2011;51:2295-303 pubmed publisher..Therefore these upstream regions of LWS represent a model system for understanding the molecular basis of adaptive variation in gene regulation of color vision. ..
- Durr K, Holzschuh J, Filippi A, Ettl A, Ryu S, Shepherd I, et al. Differential roles of transcriptional mediator complex subunits Crsp34/Med27, Crsp150/Med14 and Trap100/Med24 during zebrafish retinal development. Genetics. 2006;174:693-705 pubmed
- Chen J, Huang C, Zheng L, Simonich M, Bai C, Tanguay R, et al. Trimethyltin chloride (TMT) neurobehavioral toxicity in embryonic zebrafish. Neurotoxicol Teratol. 2011;33:721-6 pubmed publisher..Our study demonstrates the morphological and behavioral sensitivity of the developing zebrafish to TMT and establishes a platform for future identification of the affected pathways and chemical modulators of TMT toxicity. ..
- Morrow J, Lazic S, Chang B. A novel rhodopsin-like gene expressed in zebrafish retina. Vis Neurosci. 2011;28:325-35 pubmed publisher..The discovery of a new previously uncharacterized opsin gene in zebrafish retina is surprising given its status as a model system for studies of vertebrate vision and visual development. ..
- Muralidharan P, Sarmah S, Marrs J. Zebrafish retinal defects induced by ethanol exposure are rescued by retinoic acid and folic acid supplement. Alcohol. 2015;49:149-63 pubmed publisher..Our results indicate that various ethanol-sensitive events underlie FASD-associated retinal defects. Nutrient supplements like retinoids and folate were effective in alleviating ethanol-induced retinal defects. ..
- Robinson J, Schmitt E, Dowling J. Temporal and spatial patterns of opsin gene expression in zebrafish (Danio rerio). Vis Neurosci. 1995;12:895-906 pubmed..In the pineal, red-sensitive opsin is expressed at 48 h postfertilization. Visual pigment expression provides a useful tool for investigations of early cell fate in zebrafish. ..
- Kennedy M, Dunn F, Hurley J. Visual pigment phosphorylation but not transducin translocation can contribute to light adaptation in zebrafish cones. Neuron. 2004;41:915-28 pubmed..Immunocytochemical analyses revealed that neither light nor cytoplasmic Ca2+ influences the localization of transducin in zebrafish cones. ..
- Lagman D, Callado PÃ©rez A, FranzÃ©n I, Larhammar D, Abalo X. Transducin duplicates in the zebrafish retina and pineal complex: differential specialisation after the teleost tetraploidisation. PLoS ONE. 2015;10:e0121330 pubmed publisher..In summary, this study describes several functional differences between transducin gene duplicates resulting from the teleost-specific tetraploidisation. ..
- Chen X, Liu Y, Sheng X, Tam P, Zhao K, Chen X, et al. PRPF4 mutations cause autosomal dominant retinitis pigmentosa. Hum Mol Genet. 2014;23:2926-39 pubmed publisher..We conclude that mutations of PRPF4 cause RP via haploinsufficiency and dominant-negative effects, and establish PRPF4 as a new U4/U6-U5 snRNP component associated with adRP. ..
- Li P, Chaurasia S, Gao Y, Carr A, Iuvone P, Li L. CLOCK is required for maintaining the circadian rhythms of Opsin mRNA expression in photoreceptor cells. J Biol Chem. 2008;283:31673-8 pubmed publisher..to the central circadian pacemaker, was found to play an important role in maintaining the circadian rhythms of LC opsin mRNA expression...
- Pierce L, Noche R, Ponomareva O, Chang C, Liang J. Novel functions for Period 3 and Exo-rhodopsin in rhythmic transcription and melatonin biosynthesis within the zebrafish pineal organ. Brain Res. 2008;1223:11-24 pubmed publisher..This work identifies novel roles for Exorh and Per3, and gives insight into potential interactions between the sensory and circadian systems within the pineal...
- Garcia Reyero N, Escalon B, Prats E, Stanley J, Thienpont B, Melby N, et al. Effects of BDE-209 contaminated sediments on zebrafish development and potential implications to human health. Environ Int. 2014;63:216-23 pubmed publisher..Once accumulated, our data also show that BDE-209 has the potential to cause impacts on both human and environmental health. ..
- Chen X, Sheng X, Zhuang W, Sun X, Liu G, Shi X, et al. GUCA1A mutation causes maculopathy in a five-generation family with a wide spectrum of severity. Genet Med. 2017;19:945-954 pubmed publisher..The diverse pathogenic modes of GUCA1A mutations may explain the phenotypic diversities.Genet Med advance online publication 26 January 2017. ..
- Robinson J, Schmitt E, Harosi F, Reece R, Dowling J. Zebrafish ultraviolet visual pigment: absorption spectrum, sequence, and localization. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1993;90:6009-12 pubmed..However, it is unique in possessing a lysine residue at position 126, which may account for the UV-sensitivity of the pigment. ..
- Xu T, Chen L, Hu C, Zhou B. Effects of acute exposure to polybrominated diphenyl ethers on retinoid signaling in zebrafish larvae. Environ Toxicol Pharmacol. 2013;35:13-20 pubmed publisher..However, the transcriptions of five opsin genes (zfrho, zfuv, zfred, zfblue, and zfgr1) were up-regulated...
- Stevens C, Cameron D, Stenkamp D. Plasticity of photoreceptor-generating retinal progenitors revealed by prolonged retinoic acid exposure. BMC Dev Biol. 2011;11:51 pubmed publisher..In zebrafish RA may influence the rod vs. cone cell fate decision. The RAR?b receptor mediates the effects of endogenous, as well as exogenous RA, on rod development. ..