Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: olig2
Description: oligodendrocyte lineage transcription factor 2
Alias: wu:fc64g09, oligodendrocyte transcription factor 2
- Zannino D, Appel B. Olig2+ precursors produce abducens motor neurons and oligodendrocytes in the zebrafish hindbrain. J Neurosci. 2009;29:2322-33 pubmed publisher..pMN cells express the Olig2 transcription factor and Olig2 function is necessary for formation of spinal motor neurons and OPCs...
- Schebesta M, Serluca F. olig1 Expression identifies developing oligodendrocytes in zebrafish and requires hedgehog and notch signaling. Dev Dyn. 2009;238:887-98 pubmed publisher..Over-expression of olig1 did not affect myelin formation in the brain and combined over-expression of olig1 and olig2 could not rescue loss of hedgehog signaling, indicating that critical factors other than olig1 and olig2 are ..
- Borodovsky N, Ponomaryov T, Frenkel S, Levkowitz G. Neural protein Olig2 acts upstream of the transcriptional regulator Sim1 to specify diencephalic dopaminergic neurons. Dev Dyn. 2009;238:826-34 pubmed publisher..In the present study, we show that in the zebrafish the neural gene Olig2 and the transcriptional regulator Sim1 are co-expressed in a subset of diencephalic progenitors destined towards ..
- Reimer M, Kuscha V, Wyatt C, Sörensen I, Frank R, Knuwer M, et al. Sonic hedgehog is a polarized signal for motor neuron regeneration in adult zebrafish. J Neurosci. 2009;29:15073-82 pubmed publisher..1 and pax6, together with a Tg(olig2:egfp) transgene, are expressed in the unlesioned spinal cord of adult zebrafish...
- Reimer M, Norris A, Ohnmacht J, Patani R, Zhong Z, Dias T, et al. Dopamine from the brain promotes spinal motor neuron generation during development and adult regeneration. Dev Cell. 2013;25:478-91 pubmed publisher..Hence, we describe a supraspinal control mechanism for the development and regeneration of specific spinal cell types that uses dopamine as a signal. ..
- Bae Y, Kani S, Shimizu T, Tanabe K, Nojima H, Kimura Y, et al. Anatomy of zebrafish cerebellum and screen for mutations affecting its development. Dev Biol. 2009;330:406-26 pubmed publisher..We found olig2(+) neurons in the adult cerebellum and ascertained that at least some of them are eurydendroid cells...
- Kani S, Bae Y, Shimizu T, Tanabe K, Satou C, Parsons M, et al. Proneural gene-linked neurogenesis in zebrafish cerebellum. Dev Biol. 2010;343:1-17 pubmed publisher..The ptf1a(+) progenitors generated Purkinje cells. The olig2(+) eurydendroid cells, which are glutamatergic, were derived mostly from ptf1a(+) progenitors in the VZ but some ..
- Mahler J, Filippi A, Driever W. DeltaA/DeltaD regulate multiple and temporally distinct phases of notch signaling during dopaminergic neurogenesis in zebrafish. J Neurosci. 2010;30:16621-35 pubmed publisher..DeltaA/D may also be involved in maintenance of dopaminergic precursor pools, as olig2 expression in ventral diencephalic dopaminergic precursors is affected in dla/dld mutants...
- Guner B, Karlstrom R. Cloning of zebrafish nkx6.2 and a comprehensive analysis of the conserved transcriptional response to Hedgehog/Gli signaling in the zebrafish neural tube. Gene Expr Patterns. 2007;7:596-605 pubmed
- Kazakova N, Li H, Mora A, Jessen K, Mirsky R, Richardson W, et al. A screen for mutations in zebrafish that affect myelin gene expression in Schwann cells and oligodendrocytes. Dev Biol. 2006;297:1-13 pubmed..Timed application of the RA synthesis inhibitor DEAB to wild type embryos showed that RA signalling is required at least 48 h before the onset of myelin protein synthesis in both CNS and PNS...
- Park H, Mehta A, Richardson J, Appel B. olig2 is required for zebrafish primary motor neuron and oligodendrocyte development. Dev Biol. 2002;248:356-68 pubmed..Developing primary motor neurons and oligodendrocytes express olig2 as do neural plate cells that give rise to both primary motor neurons and oligodendrocytes...
- Schafer M, Kinzel D, Neuner C, Schartl M, Volff J, Winkler C. Hedgehog and retinoid signalling confines nkx2.2b expression to the lateral floor plate of the zebrafish trunk. Mech Dev. 2005;122:43-56 pubmed..g. tal2 or foxa2, nkx2.2b is exclusively expressed in the LFP. Thus, it represents a unique tool to analyse the mechanisms of ventral neural tube patterning in zebrafish. ..
- Bae Y, Shimizu T, Hibi M. Patterning of proneuronal and inter-proneuronal domains by hairy- and enhancer of split-related genes in zebrafish neuroectoderm. Development. 2005;132:1375-85 pubmed..These data indicate that her3 and her9 function as prepattern genes that link the positional dorsoventral polarity information in the posterior neuroectoderm to the spatial regulation of neurogenesis. ..
- Pogoda H, Sternheim N, Lyons D, Diamond B, Hawkins T, Woods I, et al. A genetic screen identifies genes essential for development of myelinated axons in zebrafish. Dev Biol. 2006;298:118-31 pubmed..The analysis of these mutations will advance our understanding of myelination, and the mutants will serve as models of human diseases of myelin. ..
- Esain V, Postlethwait J, Charnay P, Ghislain J. FGF-receptor signalling controls neural cell diversity in the zebrafish hindbrain by regulating olig2 and sox9. Development. 2010;137:33-42 pubmed publisher..First, by cooperating with Shh, FGF-receptor signalling controls the expression of olig2, a patterning gene essential for the specification of somatic motoneurons and oligodendrocytes...
- Huang P, Schier A. Dampened Hedgehog signaling but normal Wnt signaling in zebrafish without cilia. Development. 2009;136:3089-98 pubmed publisher..These results reveal a conserved requirement for cilia in transducing the activity of upstream regulators of Hh signaling but distinct phenotypic effects due to differential regulation and differing roles of transcriptional mediators. ..
- Lee J, Wu S, Goering L, Dorsky R. Canonical Wnt signaling through Lef1 is required for hypothalamic neurogenesis. Development. 2006;133:4451-61 pubmed..The conserved presence of this pathway in other vertebrates suggests a common mechanism for regulating hypothalamic neurogenesis. ..
- Boyd P, Cunliffe V, Roy S, Wood J. Sonic hedgehog functions upstream of disrupted-in-schizophrenia 1 (disc1): implications for mental illness. Biol Open. 2015;4:1336-43 pubmed publisher..We show that disc1 is prominently expressed in olig2-positive midline progenitor cells that are absent in smo mutants, while cyclopamine treatment blocks disc1 ..
- Liu L, Lin M, Lai Z, Jiang J, Huang Y, Jao L, et al. Motor neuron-derived Thsd7a is essential for zebrafish vascular development via the Notch-dll4 signaling pathway. J Biomed Sci. 2016;23:59 pubmed publisher..Thsd7a could regulate ISV angiogenesis via Notch-dll4 signaling. Thus, Thsd7a is a potent angioneurin involved in the development of both neural and vascular systems. ..
- Zannino D, SAGERSTROM C, Appel B. olig2-Expressing hindbrain cells are required for migrating facial motor neurons. Dev Dyn. 2012;241:315-26 pubmed publisher..In zebrafish, as facial motor neurons migrate through r5/r6, they pass near cells that express olig2, which encodes a bHLH transcription factor...
- Miyake A, Chitose T, Kamei E, Murakami A, Nakayama Y, Konishi M, et al. Fgf16 is required for specification of GABAergic neurons and oligodendrocytes in the zebrafish forebrain. PLoS ONE. 2014;9:e110836 pubmed publisher..The results of the present study indicate that Fgf16 signaling, which is regulated by the downstream pathways of Hh-Fgf19 in the forebrain, is involved in forebrain development. ..
- Gong J, Wang X, Zhu C, Dong X, Zhang Q, Wang X, et al. Insm1a Regulates Motor Neuron Development in Zebrafish. Front Mol Neurosci. 2017;10:274 pubmed publisher..we showed that the insm1a loss of function significantly decreased the transcript levels of both olig2 and nkx6.1. Microinjection of olig2 and nkx6...
- Wei Y, Li K, Yao S, Gao J, Li J, Shang Y, et al. Loss of ZNF32 augments the regeneration of nervous lateral line system through negative regulation of SOX2 transcription. Oncotarget. 2016;7:70420-70436 pubmed publisher..Our findings reveal a pivotal role for ZNF32 function in SOX2 expression and regeneration regulation. ..
- de Oliveira Carlos V, Ganz J, Hans S, Kaslin J, Brand M. Notch receptor expression in neurogenic regions of the adult zebrafish brain. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e73384 pubmed publisher..We suggest that the partial regional heterogeneity observed for Notch expression in progenitor cells might be related to the cellular diversity present in each of these neurogenic niches. ..
- Takebayashi H, Ohtsuki T, Uchida T, Kawamoto S, Okubo K, Ikenaka K, et al. Non-overlapping expression of Olig3 and Olig2 in the embryonic neural tube. Mech Dev. 2002;113:169-74 pubmedOlig family is a novel sub-family of basic helix-loop-helix transcription factors recently identified. Olig1 and Olig2 were first reported to promote oligodendrocyte differentiation, and later Olig2 was reported to be involved in ..
- Tawk M, Makoukji J, Belle M, Fonte C, Trousson A, Hawkins T, et al. Wnt/beta-catenin signaling is an essential and direct driver of myelin gene expression and myelinogenesis. J Neurosci. 2011;31:3729-42 pubmed publisher..The present findings attribute to Wnt/?-catenin pathway components an essential role in myelin gene expression and myelinogenesis. ..
- Gribble S, Kim H, Bonner J, Wang X, Dorsky R. Tcf3 inhibits spinal cord neurogenesis by regulating sox4a expression. Development. 2009;136:781-9 pubmed publisher..Both of these functions are mediated by Tcf3 independently of canonical Wnt signaling. Together, our data indicate a novel mechanism for the regulation of neurogenesis by Tcf3-mediated repression. ..
- Bronchain O, Pollet N, Ymlahi Ouazzani Q, Dhorne Pollet S, Helbling J, Lecarpentier J, et al. The olig family: phylogenetic analysis and early gene expression in Xenopus tropicalis. Dev Genes Evol. 2007;217:485-97 pubmed..Olig1 is very faintly expressed before the tadpole stage, whereas olig2, 3, and 4 are expressed from the gastrula stage onward...
- Flynt A, Li N, Thatcher E, Solnica Krezel L, Patton J. Zebrafish miR-214 modulates Hedgehog signaling to specify muscle cell fate. Nat Genet. 2007;39:259-63 pubmed..Through regulation of su(fu), miR-214 enables precise specification of muscle cell types by sharpening cellular responses to Hedgehog. ..
- Fimbel S, Montgomery J, Burket C, Hyde D. Regeneration of inner retinal neurons after intravitreal injection of ouabain in zebrafish. J Neurosci. 2007;27:1712-24 pubmed..By 5 dpi, most of the PCNA expression was localized to neuronal progenitors expressing the olig2:egfp transgene rather than the Müller glia...
- Tiso N, Filippi A, Benato F, Negrisolo E, Modena N, Vaccari E, et al. Differential expression and regulation of olig genes in zebrafish. J Comp Neurol. 2009;515:378-96 pubmed publisher..Three Olig genes (Olig1, Olig2 and Olig3) have been identified in all known vertebrate models and a fourth one in anamniotes (olig4)...
- Takada N, Appel B. Identification of genes expressed by zebrafish oligodendrocytes using a differential microarray screen. Dev Dyn. 2010;239:2041-7 pubmed publisher..The predicted functions raise the possibility that these genes are involved in multiple cellular events during oligodendrocyte differentiation and myelin formation. ..
- Gribble S, Nikolaus O, Dorsky R. Regulation and function of Dbx genes in the zebrafish spinal cord. Dev Dyn. 2007;236:3472-83 pubmed..Our data confirm that the dbx1a/1b/2 domain in zebrafish spinal cord development behaves similarly to amniotes, while extending knowledge of Dbx1 function in spinal cord patterning. ..
- Schafer M, Rembold M, Wittbrodt J, Schartl M, Winkler C. Medial floor plate formation in zebrafish consists of two phases and requires trunk-derived Midkine-a. Genes Dev. 2005;19:897-902 pubmed..Thus in zebrafish, trunk-derived signals are required for complete MFP formation from a common pool of organizer-derived midline precursor cells. ..
- Schafer M, Kinzel D, Winkler C. Discontinuous organization and specification of the lateral floor plate in zebrafish. Dev Biol. 2007;301:117-29 pubmed..We conclude that different levels of HH and Nkx2.2 activities are responsible for the alternating appearance of LFP and p3 neuronal progenitor cells in the zebrafish ventral neural tube. ..
- Mich J, Chen J. Hedgehog and retinoic acid signaling cooperate to promote motoneurogenesis in zebrafish. Development. 2011;138:5113-9 pubmed publisher..We also provide evidence that RA pathway activation can modulate Gli function in a Hh ligand-independent manner. These findings support a model in which Hh and RA signaling cooperate to promote PMN cell fates in zebrafish. ..
- Zhao S, Cui W, Cao J, Luo C, Fan L, Li M. Impact of maternal nicotine exposure on expression of myelin-related genes in zebrafish larvae. Zebrafish. 2014;11:10-6 pubmed publisher..Prepregnancy nicotine exposure altered myelin gene expression in the offspring, implying that maternal smoking before pregnancy affects the next generation. ..
- McGown A, McDearmid J, Panagiotaki N, Tong H, Al Mashhadi S, Redhead N, et al. Early interneuron dysfunction in ALS: insights from a mutant sod1 zebrafish model. Ann Neurol. 2013;73:246-58 pubmed publisher..Riluzole, the approved drug for use in ALS, modulates neuronal stress in interneurons, indicating a novel mechanism of riluzole action. ..
- Norton W, Mangoli M, Lele Z, Pogoda H, Diamond B, Mercurio S, et al. Monorail/Foxa2 regulates floorplate differentiation and specification of oligodendrocytes, serotonergic raphé neurones and cranial motoneurones. Development. 2005;132:645-58 pubmed
- Zhang T, Zhou X, Ma X, Liu J. Mechanisms of cadmium-caused eye hypoplasia and hypopigmentation in zebrafish embryos. Aquat Toxicol. 2015;167:68-76 pubmed publisher..Moreover, we found that compounds BIO or RA could neutralize the toxic effects of Cd. ..
- Zannino D, Downes G, SAGERSTROM C. prdm12b specifies the p1 progenitor domain and reveals a role for V1 interneurons in swim movements. Dev Biol. 2014;390:247-60 pubmed publisher..We conclude that prdm12b is required for V1 interneuron specification and that these neurons control swimming movements in zebrafish. ..
- Leacock S, Basse A, Chandler G, Kirk A, Rakheja D, Amatruda J. A zebrafish transgenic model of Ewing's sarcoma reveals conserved mediators of EWS-FLI1 tumorigenesis. Dis Model Mech. 2012;5:95-106 pubmed publisher..These results indicate that functional targets of EWS-FLI1 that mediate tumorigenesis are conserved from zebrafish to human and provide a novel context in which to study the function of this fusion oncogene. ..
- Lim A, Suli A, Yaniv K, Weinstein B, Li D, Chien C. Motoneurons are essential for vascular pathfinding. Development. 2011;138:3847-57 pubmed publisher..These results provide a definitive example of the requirement of axons in endothelial guidance leading to the parallel patterning of nerves and vessels in vivo. ..
- Kawakami A, Nojima Y, Toyoda A, Takahoko M, Satoh M, Tanaka H, et al. The zebrafish-secreted matrix protein you/scube2 is implicated in long-range regulation of hedgehog signaling. Curr Biol. 2005;15:480-8 pubmed..We further show that Bmp activity can be attenuated by the coexpression of Scube2. Our data support the idea that Scube2 can modulate the long-range action of Bmp-dependent signaling in the neural tube and somites. ..
- Elsen G, Choi L, Prince V, Ho R. The autism susceptibility gene met regulates zebrafish cerebellar development and facial motor neuron migration. Dev Biol. 2009;335:78-92 pubmed publisher..These functions may underlie the correlation between altered MET regulation and autism spectrum disorders. ..
- Skromne I, Thorsen D, Hale M, Prince V, Ho R. Repression of the hindbrain developmental program by Cdx factors is required for the specification of the vertebrate spinal cord. Development. 2007;134:2147-58 pubmed..We propose that by preventing the posterior-most region of the neural plate from following a hindbrain developmental program, Cdx factors help determine the size of the prospective hindbrain and spinal cord territories. ..
- Perlin J, Lush M, Stephens W, Piotrowski T, Talbot W. Neuronal Neuregulin 1 type III directs Schwann cell migration. Development. 2011;138:4639-48 pubmed publisher..These results demonstrate that Nrg1 type III is an essential signal that controls Schwann cell migration to ensure that these glia are present in the correct numbers and positions in developing nerves. ..
- Kassen S, Thummel R, Campochiaro L, Harding M, Bennett N, Hyde D. CNTF induces photoreceptor neuroprotection and Müller glial cell proliferation through two different signaling pathways in the adult zebrafish retina. Exp Eye Res. 2009;88:1051-64 pubmed publisher..Thus, CNTF utilizes a MAPK-dependant signaling pathway in neuroprotection of light-induced photoreceptor cell death and a Stat3-dependant signaling pathway to stimulate Müller glia proliferation. ..
- Zhang Y, Wang L, Zhou W, Wang H, Zhang J, Deng S, et al. Tissue factor pathway inhibitor-2: a novel gene involved in zebrafish central nervous system development. Dev Biol. 2013;381:38-49 pubmed publisher..In addition, changes of neural markers, including pax2a, egr2b, huC, ngn1, gfap and olig2, confirmed the presence of developmental abnormalities in the relevant regions of ztfpi-2 morphants...
- Panizzi J, Jessen J, Drummond I, Solnica Krezel L. New functions for a vertebrate Rho guanine nucleotide exchange factor in ciliated epithelia. Development. 2007;134:921-31 pubmed..Our studies in zebrafish embryos have identified new, essential roles for this RhoGEF in ciliated epithelia during vertebrate development...
- Liu C, Ma W, Su W, Zhang J. Prdm14 acts upstream of islet2 transcription to regulate axon growth of primary motoneurons in zebrafish. Development. 2012;139:4591-600 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, overexpression of islet2 in slg mutant embryos rescued the shortened CaP axon phenotypes. Together, these data reveal that prdm14 regulates CaP axon outgrowth through activation of islet2 expression. ..
- Sidik H, Talbot W. A zinc finger protein that regulates oligodendrocyte specification, migration and myelination in zebrafish. Development. 2015;142:4119-28 pubmed publisher..Our results defined the function of a new zinc finger protein with specific function in oligodendrocyte specification, migration and myelination in the developing CNS. ..
- Zhao Z, Lee R, Pusapati G, Iyu A, Rohatgi R, Ingham P. An essential role for Grk2 in Hedgehog signalling downstream of Smoothened. EMBO Rep. 2016;17:739-52 pubmed publisher..Since Grk2 rescuing activity requires the integrity of domains essential for its interaction with GPCRs, we speculate that Grk2 may regulate Hh pathway activity by downregulation of a GPCR. ..