Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: noto
Description: notochord homeobox
Alias: Znot, flh, notochord homeobox, floating head
- Gritsman K, Zhang J, Cheng S, Heckscher E, Talbot W, Schier A. The EGF-CFC protein one-eyed pinhead is essential for nodal signaling. Cell. 1999;97:121-32 pubmed..Expression of the murine EGF-CFC gene cripto rescues oep mutants. These results suggest a conserved role for EGF-CFC proteins as essential extracellular cofactors for Nodal signaling during vertebrate development. ..
- Ramel M, Buckles G, Baker K, Lekven A. WNT8 and BMP2B co-regulate non-axial mesoderm patterning during zebrafish gastrulation. Dev Biol. 2005;287:237-48 pubmed
- Schier A, Neuhauss S, Helde K, Talbot W, Driever W. The one-eyed pinhead gene functions in mesoderm and endoderm formation in zebrafish and interacts with no tail. Development. 1997;124:327-42 pubmed..Double mutants with floating head, the zebrafish Xnot homologue, display enhanced floor plate and adaxial muscle phenotypes...
- Long S, Ahmad N, Rebagliati M. The zebrafish nodal-related gene southpaw is required for visceral and diencephalic left-right asymmetry. Development. 2003;130:2303-16 pubmed..These observations lead to a model of how visceral organ and brain left-right asymmetry are coordinated during embryogenesis...
- Clanton J, Hope K, Gamse J. Fgf signaling governs cell fate in the zebrafish pineal complex. Development. 2013;140:323-32 pubmed publisher..We conclude that this subset of anterior pineal complex precursors, which normally become parapineal cells, are bipotential and require Fgf8a to maintain parapineal identity and/or prevent cone identity. ..
- Concha M, Russell C, Regan J, Tawk M, Sidi S, Gilmour D, et al. Local tissue interactions across the dorsal midline of the forebrain establish CNS laterality. Neuron. 2003;39:423-38 pubmed..From these data, we propose that laterality is determined by a competitive interaction between the left and right epithalamus and that Nodal signaling biases the outcome of this competition. ..
- Fan X, Hagos E, Xu B, Sias C, Kawakami K, Burdine R, et al. Nodal signals mediate interactions between the extra-embryonic and embryonic tissues in zebrafish. Dev Biol. 2007;310:363-78 pubmed..Our results demonstrate a high degree of functional conservation between the extra-embryonic tissues of mouse and zebrafish. ..
- Fekany Lee K, Gonzalez E, Miller Bertoglio V, Solnica Krezel L. The homeobox gene bozozok promotes anterior neuroectoderm formation in zebrafish through negative regulation of BMP2/4 and Wnt pathways. Development. 2000;127:2333-45 pubmed..In addition, by negative regulation of Wnt signaling, boz promotes organizer formation and limits posteriorization of neuroectoderm in the late gastrula. ..
- Ramel M, Lekven A. Repression of the vertebrate organizer by Wnt8 is mediated by Vent and Vox. Development. 2004;131:3991-4000 pubmed..Thus, whereas both Wnt8 and zygotic BMP are ventralizing agents that regulate common target genes, their temporally different modes of action are necessary to pattern the embryo harmoniously along its DV axis. ..
- Concha M, Burdine R, Russell C, Schier A, Wilson S. A nodal signaling pathway regulates the laterality of neuroanatomical asymmetries in the zebrafish forebrain. Neuron. 2000;28:399-409 pubmed..This indicates that Nodal signaling is not required for asymmetric development per se but is essential to determine the laterality of the asymmetry. ..
- Kunwar P, Zimmerman S, Bennett J, Chen Y, Whitman M, Schier A. Mixer/Bon and FoxH1/Sur have overlapping and divergent roles in Nodal signaling and mesendoderm induction. Development. 2003;130:5589-99 pubmed
- Shimizu T, Bae Y, Muraoka O, Hibi M. Interaction of Wnt and caudal-related genes in zebrafish posterior body formation. Dev Biol. 2005;279:125-41 pubmed..These data indicate that the cdx genes mediate Wnt signaling and play essential roles in the morphogenesis of the posterior body in zebrafish. ..
- Gamse J, Shen Y, Thisse C, Thisse B, Raymond P, Halpern M, et al. Otx5 regulates genes that show circadian expression in the zebrafish pineal complex. Nat Genet. 2002;30:117-21 pubmed..Our results indicate that Otx5 rather than Crx regulates genes that show circadian expression in the zebrafish pineal complex. ..
- Chen J, van Eeden F, Warren K, Chin A, Nusslein Volhard C, Haffter P, et al. Left-right pattern of cardiac BMP4 may drive asymmetry of the heart in zebrafish. Development. 1997;124:4373-82 pubmed..Thus, the pattern of cardiac BMP4 appears to be in the pathway by which the heart interprets lateralizing signals from the midline. ..
- Melby A, Warga R, Kimmel C. Specification of cell fates at the dorsal margin of the zebrafish gastrula. Development. 1996;122:2225-37 pubmed..of single cells, and coincide almost exactly with the border of the expression domain of the homeobox gene floating head (flh; zebrafish homologue of Xnot), a gene essential for notochord development...
- Liu X, Xiong C, Jia S, Zhang Y, Chen Y, Wang Q, et al. Araf kinase antagonizes Nodal-Smad2 activity in mesendoderm development by directly phosphorylating the Smad2 linker region. Nat Commun. 2013;4:1728 pubmed publisher..Our findings open avenues for investigating the potential significance of Raf regulation of transforming growth factor ? signalling in versatile biological and pathological processes in the future. ..
- Gritsman K, Talbot W, Schier A. Nodal signaling patterns the organizer. Development. 2000;127:921-32 pubmed..gene goosecoid, whereas notochord precursors are located further from the margin and express the homeobox gene floating head. The nodal-related genes cyclops and squint are expressed at the blastoderm margin and are required for ..
- Colombo A, Reig G, Mione M, Concha M. Zebrafish BarH-like genes define discrete neural domains in the early embryo. Gene Expr Patterns. 2006;6:347-52 pubmed
- Melby A, Kimelman D, Kimmel C. Spatial regulation of floating head expression in the developing notochord. Dev Dyn. 1997;209:156-65 pubmedThe zebrafish homeobox gene floating head (flh) is essential for notochord development and is one of the earliest genes to be expressed in notochord precursors...
- Cau E, Quillien A, Blader P. Notch resolves mixed neural identities in the zebrafish epiphysis. Development. 2008;135:2391-401 pubmed publisher..We propose a novel model in which Notch resolves mixed neural identities by repressing an undesired genetic program. ..
- Hagos E, Dougan S. Time-dependent patterning of the mesoderm and endoderm by Nodal signals in zebrafish. BMC Dev Biol. 2007;7:22 pubmed
- Inbal A, Kim S, Shin J, Solnica Krezel L. Six3 represses nodal activity to establish early brain asymmetry in zebrafish. Neuron. 2007;55:407-15 pubmed..Our data reveal a Six3-dependent mechanism for establishment of correct brain laterality and provide an entry point to understanding the genetic regulation of Nodal signaling in the brain. ..
- Ulrich F, Krieg M, Schötz E, Link V, Castanon I, Schnabel V, et al. Wnt11 functions in gastrulation by controlling cell cohesion through Rab5c and E-cadherin. Dev Cell. 2005;9:555-64 pubmed..Together, our results suggest that Wnt11 controls tissue morphogenesis by modulating E-cadherin-mediated cell cohesion through Rab5c, a novel mechanism of Wnt signaling in gastrulation. ..
- Yang Y, Thorpe C. BMP and non-canonical Wnt signaling are required for inhibition of secondary tail formation in zebrafish. Development. 2011;138:2601-11 pubmed publisher..We propose a model in which BMP and the non-canonical Wnt pathway regulate tail morphogenesis by controlling cell migration and cell adhesion within the tailbud...
- Gamse J, Thisse C, Thisse B, Halpern M. The parapineal mediates left-right asymmetry in the zebrafish diencephalon. Development. 2003;130:1059-68 pubmed..The left-sided parapineal therefore influences the left-right identity of adjacent brain nuclei, indicating that laterality of the dorsal diencephalon arises in a step-wise fashion. ..
- Garric L, Ronsin B, Roussigne M, Booton S, Gamse J, Dufourcq P, et al. Pitx2c ensures habenular asymmetry by restricting parapineal cell number. Development. 2014;141:1572-9 pubmed publisher..We conclude that restricting parapineal cell number is crucial for the correct elaboration of epithalamic asymmetry. ..
- Row R, Tsotras S, Goto H, Martin B. The zebrafish tailbud contains two independent populations of midline progenitor cells that maintain long-term germ layer plasticity and differentiate in response to local signaling cues. Development. 2016;143:244-54 pubmed publisher..These cells remain receptive to extracellular cues after gastrulation and continue to make basic germ layer decisions. ..
- Hino H, Nakanishi A, Seki R, Aoki T, Yamaha E, Kawahara A, et al. Roles of maternal wnt8a transcripts in axis formation in zebrafish. Dev Biol. 2018;434:96-107 pubmed publisher..Finally, we re-examined the maternal wnt genes and found that Wnt6a is an alternative candidate DD. ..
- Wu S, Zhang H, Cairns B. Genes for embryo development are packaged in blocks of multivalent chromatin in zebrafish sperm. Genome Res. 2011;21:578-89 pubmed publisher..Taken together, gene sets with particular functions in the embryo are packaged by distinctive types of complex and often atypical chromatin in sperm. ..
- Henry C, Urban M, Dill K, Merlie J, Page M, Kimmel C, et al. Two linked hairy/Enhancer of split-related zebrafish genes, her1 and her7, function together to refine alternating somite boundaries. Development. 2002;129:3693-704 pubmed..Thus, even though two potential downstream components of Notch signaling are lacking in her1+7-deficient embryos, somite boundaries form, but do so with a one and a half to two segment periodicity. ..
- Martin C, Laforest L, Akimenko M, Ekker M. A role for DNA methylation in gastrulation and somite patterning. Dev Biol. 1999;206:189-205 pubmed..When examined during gastrulation, 5-azaC-treated embryos have a shortened and thickened axial mesoderm. We propose that DNA methylation is required for normal gastrulation and subsequent patterning of the dorsal mesoderm. ..
- Halpern M, Thisse C, Ho R, Thisse B, Riggleman B, Trevarrow B, et al. Cell-autonomous shift from axial to paraxial mesodermal development in zebrafish floating head mutants. Development. 1995;121:4257-64 pubmedZebrafish floating head mutant embryos lack notochord and develop somitic muscle in its place...
- Pavlou S, Astell K, Kasioulis I, Gakovic M, Baldock R, van Heyningen V, et al. Pleiotropic effects of Sox2 during the development of the zebrafish epithalamus. PLoS ONE. 2014;9:e87546 pubmed publisher..Deviations from this strict control result in defects associated with abnormal habenular laterality, which we have documented and quantified in sox2 morphants. ..
- Danos M, Yost H. Role of notochord in specification of cardiac left-right orientation in zebrafish and Xenopus. Dev Biol. 1996;177:96-103 pubmed..the cardiac left-right orientation in zebrafish (Danio rerio) is randomized in notochord-defective no tail and floating head mutants...
- Schafer M, Kinzel D, Neuner C, Schartl M, Volff J, Winkler C. Hedgehog and retinoid signalling confines nkx2.2b expression to the lateral floor plate of the zebrafish trunk. Mech Dev. 2005;122:43-56 pubmed..g. tal2 or foxa2, nkx2.2b is exclusively expressed in the LFP. Thus, it represents a unique tool to analyse the mechanisms of ventral neural tube patterning in zebrafish. ..
- Li Y, Farrell M, Liu R, Mohanty N, Kirby M. Double-stranded RNA injection produces null phenotypes in zebrafish. Dev Biol. 2000;217:394-405 pubmed..Expression of the zebrafish genes sonic hedgehog and floating head was altered in the embryos microinjected with the Zf-T double-stranded RNA in a manner that is remarkably ..
- Rogers K, Lord N, Gagnon J, Pauli A, Zimmerman S, Aksel D, et al. Nodal patterning without Lefty inhibitory feedback is functional but fragile. elife. 2017;6: pubmed publisher..These results indicate that patterning without inhibitory feedback is functional but fragile. ..
- diIorio P, Runko A, Farrell C, Roy N. Sid4: A secreted vertebrate immunoglobulin protein with roles in zebrafish embryogenesis. Dev Biol. 2005;282:55-69 pubmed..Overall, our data demonstrate a fundamental role for sid4, possibly as a co-factor in extracellular matrix (ECM) interactions, in processes underlying tissue patterning and organogenesis in a vertebrate. ..
- Gu Q, Yang X, He X, Li Q, Cui Z. Generation and characterization of a transgenic zebrafish expressing the reverse tetracycline transactivator. J Genet Genomics. 2013;40:523-31 pubmed publisher..Thus, this rtTA-transgenic zebrafish can be utilized to dissect functions of genes in a temporal manner. ..
- Glasgow E, Karavanov A, Dawid I. Neuronal and neuroendocrine expression of lim3, a LIM class homeobox gene, is altered in mutant zebrafish with axial signaling defects. Dev Biol. 1997;192:405-19 pubmed..We studied Lim3 expression in no tail, floating head, and cyclops mutant embryos, all of which have midline defects, with special reference to spinal cord ..
- Gebruers E, Cordero Maldonado M, Gray A, Clements C, Harvey A, Edrada Ebel R, et al. A phenotypic screen in zebrafish identifies a novel small-molecule inducer of ectopic tail formation suggestive of alterations in non-canonical Wnt/PCP signaling. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e83293 pubmed publisher..Further investigation of pCAME's mechanism of action will help determine this compound's pharmacological utility...
- Du T, Xu P, Dong Z, Fan H, Jin Y, Dong M, et al. Setdb2 controls convergence and extension movements during zebrafish gastrulation by transcriptional regulation of dvr1. Dev Biol. 2014;392:233-44 pubmed publisher..These data demonstrate that Setdb2 is a novel regulator for C&E movements and acts by modulating the expression level of dvr1, suggesting that Dvr1 acts as a direct and essential mediator for C&E cell movements. ..
- Yao S, Qian M, Deng S, Xie L, Yang H, Xiao C, et al. Kzp controls canonical Wnt8 signaling to modulate dorsoventral patterning during zebrafish gastrulation. J Biol Chem. 2010;285:42086-96 pubmed publisher..Thus, our results provide the first insight into the mechanism involved in the initiation of zygotic canonical Wnt signals by a maternally derived transcription factor. ..
- Hagos E, Fan X, Dougan S. The role of maternal Activin-like signals in zebrafish embryos. Dev Biol. 2007;309:245-58 pubmed..This contrasts with the early role for these signals during Xenopus development. ..
- Hsu H, Lin G, Chung B. Parallel early development of zebrafish interrenal glands and pronephros: differential control by wt1 and ff1b. Development. 2003;130:2107-16 pubmed..Our results show that the zebrafish interrenal and pronephros are situated close together and go through parallel developmental processes but are governed by different signaling events...
- Majumdar A, Drummond I. The zebrafish floating head mutant demonstrates podocytes play an important role in directing glomerular differentiation. Dev Biol. 2000;222:147-57 pubmed..The midline mutants floating head (flh), sonic you (syu), and you-too (yot) provide the opportunity to study glomerular differentiation in the ..
- Slagle C, Aoki T, Burdine R. Nodal-dependent mesendoderm specification requires the combinatorial activities of FoxH1 and Eomesodermin. PLoS Genet. 2011;7:e1002072 pubmed publisher..Our findings also offer novel insights into the co-evolution of the Nodal signaling pathway, the notochord specification program, and the chordate branch of the deuterostome family of animals. ..
- Gilardelli C, Pozzoli O, Sordino P, Matassi G, Cotelli F. Functional and hierarchical interactions among zebrafish vox/vent homeobox genes. Dev Dyn. 2004;230:494-508 pubmed..This inhibitory role is emphasized by a vox and vent redundant activity, compared with single gene effects. ..
- Odenthal J, van Eeden F, Haffter P, Ingham P, Nusslein Volhard C. Two distinct cell populations in the floor plate of the zebrafish are induced by different pathways. Dev Biol. 2000;219:350-63 pubmed..The number of primary motor neurons is strongly reduced in cyc;syu double mutants, while almost normal in single mutants, suggesting that the two different pathways have overlapping functions in the induction of primary motor neurons. ..
- Haffner C, Frauli M, Topp S, Irmler M, Hofmann K, Regula J, et al. Nicalin and its binding partner Nomo are novel Nodal signaling antagonists. EMBO J. 2004;23:3041-50 pubmed..Our data demonstrate that the Nicalin/Nomo complex antagonizes Nodal signaling during mesendodermal patterning in zebrafish. ..
- Baker K, Ramel M, Lekven A. A direct role for Wnt8 in ventrolateral mesoderm patterning. Dev Dyn. 2010;239:2828-36 pubmed publisher..Thus, Wnt8 and BMP signaling have independent roles during vertebrate ventrolateral mesoderm development that can be identified through loss-of-function analysis. ..
- Zhu W, Yao X, Liang Y, Liang D, Song L, Jing N, et al. Mediator Med23 deficiency enhances neural differentiation of murine embryonic stem cells through modulating BMP signaling. Development. 2015;142:465-76 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our study reveals an intrinsic, restrictive role of MED23 in early neural development, thus providing new molecular insights for neural fate determination. ..
- Yimlamai D, Konnikova L, Moss L, Jay D. The zebrafish down syndrome cell adhesion molecule is involved in cell movement during embryogenesis. Dev Biol. 2005;279:44-57 pubmed..Its loss results in early morphogenetic defects. dscam knockdown results in impaired cell movement during epiboly as well as in subsequent stages. We propose that migrating cells utilize dscam to remodel the developing embryo. ..
- Wang J, Préfontaine G, Lemieux M, Pope L, Akimenko M, Hache R. Developmental effects of ectopic expression of the glucocorticoid receptor DNA binding domain are alleviated by an amino acid substitution that interferes with homeodomain binding. Mol Cell Biol. 1999;19:7106-22 pubmed..These results highlight the potential of DNA-independent effects of GR in a whole-animal model and suggest that at least some of these effects may result from direct interactions with homeodomain proteins. ..
- He Y, Xu X, Zhao S, Ma S, Sun L, Liu Z, et al. Maternal control of axial-paraxial mesoderm patterning via direct transcriptional repression in zebrafish. Dev Biol. 2014;386:96-110 pubmed publisher..In zebrafish, spt cell-autonomously regulates paraxial mesoderm specification and flh represses spt expression to promote axial mesoderm fate, but the expression domains of spt and flh initially ..
- Hong S, Haldin C, Lawson N, Weinstein B, Dawid I, Hukriede N. The zebrafish kohtalo/trap230 gene is required for the development of the brain, neural crest, and pronephric kidney. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2005;102:18473-8 pubmed..These results suggest that critical targets of TRAP230 function may include proteins important for cell mobility, cell sorting, and tissue assembly. ..
- Deshwar A, Chng S, Ho L, Reversade B, Scott I. The Apelin receptor enhances Nodal/TGF? signaling to ensure proper cardiac development. elife. 2016;5: pubmed publisher..Our results favour a model in which Aplnr is required to fine-tune Nodal output, acting as a specific rheostat for the Nodal/TGF? pathway during the earliest stages of cardiogenesis. ..
- Bisgrove B, Morelli S, Yost H. Genetics of human laterality disorders: insights from vertebrate model systems. Annu Rev Genomics Hum Genet. 2003;4:1-32 pubmed..This approach helps suggest candidate genes and genetic pathways that might be perturbed in human laterality disorders and improves diagnostic criteria. ..
- Kilian B, Mansukoski H, Barbosa F, Ulrich F, Tada M, Heisenberg C. The role of Ppt/Wnt5 in regulating cell shape and movement during zebrafish gastrulation. Mech Dev. 2003;120:467-76 pubmed..The characterisation of the role of Ppt/Wnt5 provides insight into the functional diversity of Wnt genes in regulating vertebrate gastrulation movements. ..
- Dubrulle J, Jordan B, Akhmetova L, Farrell J, Kim S, Solnica Krezel L, et al. Response to Nodal morphogen gradient is determined by the kinetics of target gene induction. elife. 2015;4: pubmed publisher..Thus, the timing and magnitude of target gene expression can be used to modulate the range of expression and diversify the response to morphogen gradients. ..
- Van Boxtel A, Chesebro J, Heliot C, Ramel M, Stone R, Hill C. A Temporal Window for Signal Activation Dictates the Dimensions of a Nodal Signaling Domain. Dev Cell. 2015;35:175-85 pubmed publisher..Thus, temporal information is transformed into spatial information to define the dimensions of the Nodal signaling domain and, consequently, to specify mesendoderm. ..
- Rikin A, Evans T. The tbx/bHLH transcription factor mga regulates gata4 and organogenesis. Dev Dyn. 2010;239:535-47 pubmed publisher..Transcript profiling experiments show that mga functions early to influence key regulators of mesendoderm, including tbx6, cas, and sox17. ..
- Mazmanian G, Kovshilovsky M, Yen D, Mohanty A, Mohanty S, Nee A, et al. The zebrafish dyrk1b gene is important for endoderm formation. Genesis. 2010;48:20-30 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these data reveal a role for dyrk1b in endoderm formation and craniofacial patterning in the zebrafish. ..
- Khuansuwan S, Clanton J, Dean B, Patton J, Gamse J. A transcription factor network controls cell migration and fate decisions in the developing zebrafish pineal complex. Development. 2016;143:2641-50 pubmed publisher..We find that two additional transcription factors, Flh and Nr2e3, negatively regulate parapineal formation...
- Ouyang X, Shestopalov I, Sinha S, Zheng G, Pitt C, Li W, et al. Versatile synthesis and rational design of caged morpholinos. J Am Chem Soc. 2009;131:13255-69 pubmed publisher..Collectively, these advances establish the generality of cMO technologies and will facilitate the application of these chemical probes in vivo for functional genomic studies. ..
- Plouhinec J, Granier C, Le Mentec C, Lawson K, Sabéran Djoneidi D, Aghion J, et al. Identification of the mammalian Not gene via a phylogenomic approach. Gene Expr Patterns. 2004;5:11-22 pubmed..The phylogenomic method used to retrieve this gene thus provides a tool, which can complement or validate genome annotations in situations when they are weakly supported. ..
- Lu P, Lund C, Khuansuwan S, Schumann A, Harney Tolo M, Gamse J, et al. Failure in closure of the anterior neural tube causes left isomerization of the zebrafish epithalamus. Dev Biol. 2013;374:333-44 pubmed publisher..This mechanism fails when the two sides of the epithalamus are widely separated from one another, suggesting that it is dependent upon a signaling protein with limited range. ..
- Xu P, Zhu K, Jin Y, Chen Y, Sun X, Deng M, et al. Setdb2 restricts dorsal organizer territory and regulates left-right asymmetry through suppressing fgf8 activity. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2010;107:2521-6 pubmed publisher..Knockdown of Setdb2 results in a massive expansion of dorsal organizer markers floating head (flh), goosecoid (gsc), and chordin (chd), as well as a significant increase of fgf8, but not fgf4 mRNAs...
- Wong K, Rehn K, Palencia Desai S, Kohli V, Hunter W, Uhl J, et al. Hedgehog signaling is required for differentiation of endocardial progenitors in zebrafish. Dev Biol. 2012;361:377-91 pubmed publisher..Our results argue that Hh provides a critical signal to induce the specification and differentiation of endocardial progenitors. ..
- Mann C, Osborn D, Hughes S. Vestigial-like-2b (VITO-1b) and Tead-3a (Tef-5a) expression in zebrafish skeletal muscle, brain and notochord. Gene Expr Patterns. 2007;7:827-36 pubmed..Muscle cells also express a TEAD-3 homologue, a possible partner of Vgl-2b, during myoblast differentiation and early fibre assembly. Tead-3a is also expressed in rhombomeres, eye and epiphysis regions. ..