Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: notch3
Description: notch 3
Alias: fa14b08, notch5, wu:fa14b08, neurogenic locus notch homolog protein 3, notch homolog 3
- Alunni A, Krecsmarik M, Bosco A, Galant S, Pan L, Moens C, et al. Notch3 signaling gates cell cycle entry and limits neural stem cell amplification in the adult pallium. Development. 2013;140:3335-47 pubmed publisher..Expression analyses, morpholino-mediated invalidation and the generation of a notch3-null mutant directly implicate Notch3 in these effects...
- Westin J, Lardelli M. Three novel Notch genes in zebrafish: implications for vertebrate Notch gene evolution and function. Dev Genes Evol. 1997;207:51-63 pubmed publisher..Notch gene function, we isolated cDNA fragments of three novel Notch genes from zebrafish (Danio rerio), Notch1b, Notch5 and Notch6. Notch1b is a second zebrafish Notch1 gene...
- Hsiao C, You M, Guh Y, Ma M, Jiang Y, Hwang P. A positive regulatory loop between foxi3a and foxi3b is essential for specification and differentiation of zebrafish epidermal ionocytes. PLoS ONE. 2007;2:e302 pubmed..The entire epidermal ionocyte domain of genetic mutants and morphants, which failed to transmit the DeltaC-Notch1a/Notch3 signal from sending cells (epidermal ionocytes) to receiving cells (epidermal stem cells), differentiates into ..
- Yeo S, Kim M, Kim H, Huh T, Chitnis A. Fluorescent protein expression driven by her4 regulatory elements reveals the spatiotemporal pattern of Notch signaling in the nervous system of zebrafish embryos. Dev Biol. 2007;301:555-67 pubmed..The establishment of a reporter line with Notch-Su(H)-dependent fluorescent gene expression provides a tool to explore the complex role of Notch signaling in the development of vertebrate nervous system. ..
- Nechiporuk A, Raible D. FGF-dependent mechanosensory organ patterning in zebrafish. Science. 2008;320:1774-7 pubmed publisher..This previously unrecognized mechanism may be applicable to understanding segmentation and morphogenesis in other organ systems. ..
- Qiu X, Lim C, Ho S, Lee K, Jiang Y. Temporal Notch activation through Notch1a and Notch3 is required for maintaining zebrafish rhombomere boundaries. Dev Genes Evol. 2009;219:339-51 pubmed publisher..We also showed that knockdown of notch3 function in notch1a mutants leads to the loss of rhombomere boundary cells and causes neuronal hyperplasia, ..
- Leslie J, Ariza McNaughton L, Bermange A, McAdow R, Johnson S, Lewis J. Endothelial signalling by the Notch ligand Delta-like 4 restricts angiogenesis. Development. 2007;134:839-44 pubmed..Thus, Dll4-Notch signalling acts as an angiogenic ;off' switch by making endothelial cells unresponsive to Vegf. ..
- Lorent K, Yeo S, Oda T, Chandrasekharappa S, Chitnis A, Matthews R, et al. Inhibition of Jagged-mediated Notch signaling disrupts zebrafish biliary development and generates multi-organ defects compatible with an Alagille syndrome phenocopy. Development. 2004;131:5753-66 pubmed..These data confirm an evolutionarily conserved role for Notch signaling in vertebrate liver development, and support the zebrafish as a model system for diseases of the human biliary system...
- Lawson N, Mugford J, Diamond B, Weinstein B. phospholipase C gamma-1 is required downstream of vascular endothelial growth factor during arterial development. Genes Dev. 2003;17:1346-51 pubmed..Our results indicate that Plcg1 functions specifically downstream of the Vegf receptor during embryonic development to govern formation of the arterial system. ..
- Lawson N, Vogel A, Weinstein B. sonic hedgehog and vascular endothelial growth factor act upstream of the Notch pathway during arterial endothelial differentiation. Dev Cell. 2002;3:127-36 pubmed..These studies reveal a complex signaling cascade responsible for establishing arterial cell fate and suggest differential effects of Vegf on developing endothelial cells. ..
- Ma E, Rubel E, Raible D. Notch signaling regulates the extent of hair cell regeneration in the zebrafish lateral line. J Neurosci. 2008;28:2261-73 pubmed publisher..Expression of Notch signaling pathway members notch3, deltaA, and atoh1a transcripts are all upregulated within the first 24 h after neomycin treatment, during the ..
- Williams C, Kim S, Ni T, Mitchell L, Ro H, Penn J, et al. Hedgehog signaling induces arterial endothelial cell formation by repressing venous cell fate. Dev Biol. 2010;341:196-204 pubmed publisher..Collectively, these studies suggest that arterial endothelial cells are specified and formed via repressing venous cell fate at the lateral plate mesoderm by Hh signaling during vasculogenesis. ..
- Bertrand J, Cisson J, Stachura D, Traver D. Notch signaling distinguishes 2 waves of definitive hematopoiesis in the zebrafish embryo. Blood. 2010;115:2777-83 pubmed publisher..These studies establish that HSCs are the only hematopoietic precursor that requires Notch signaling and help to clarify the signaling events underlying the specification of the 2 distinct waves of definitive hematopoiesis. ..
- Wang Y, Pan L, Moens C, Appel B. Notch3 establishes brain vascular integrity by regulating pericyte number. Development. 2014;141:307-17 pubmed publisher..Here, we report an investigation of the Notch3 receptor using zebrafish as a model system...
- Gering M, Patient R. Hedgehog signaling is required for adult blood stem cell formation in zebrafish embryos. Dev Cell. 2005;8:389-400 pubmed..Furthermore, HSC and DA formation also share Vegf and Notch requirements, which further distinguishes them from primitive hematopoiesis and underlines their close relationship during vertebrate development. ..
- Liu Y, Pathak N, Kramer Zucker A, Drummond I. Notch signaling controls the differentiation of transporting epithelia and multiciliated cells in the zebrafish pronephros. Development. 2007;134:1111-22 pubmed..We find that the Notch ligand Jagged 2 is expressed in MCCs and that notch3 is expressed in pronephric epithelial cells...
- Diks S, Sartori da Silva M, Hillebrands J, Bink R, Versteeg H, van Rooijen C, et al. d-Asb11 is an essential mediator of canonical Delta-Notch signalling. Nat Cell Biol. 2008;10:1190-8 pubmed publisher..We conclude that d-Asb11 is a component in the regulation of Delta-Notch signalling, important in fine-tuning the lateral inhibition gradients between DeltaA and Notch through a cell non-autonomous mechanism. ..
- Matsuda M, Chitnis A. Atoh1a expression must be restricted by Notch signaling for effective morphogenesis of the posterior lateral line primordium in zebrafish. Development. 2010;137:3477-87 pubmed publisher..Together, our observations reveal a genetic regulatory network that explains why atoh1a expression must be restricted by Notch signaling for effective morphogenesis of the pLLp. ..
- Oates A, Mueller C, Ho R. Cooperative function of deltaC and her7 in anterior segment formation. Dev Biol. 2005;280:133-49 pubmed..Thus, anterior segmentation requires the functions of both her and delta family members in a parallel manner, suggesting that the segmentation oscillator operates in paraxial mesoderm along the entire vertebrate axis. ..
- Ignatius M, Hayes M, Lobbardi R, Chen E, McCarthy K, Sreenivas P, et al. The NOTCH1/SNAIL1/MEF2C Pathway Regulates Growth and Self-Renewal in Embryonal Rhabdomyosarcoma. Cell Rep. 2017;19:2304-2318 pubmed publisher..Our data implicate the NOTCH1/SNAI1/MEF2C signaling axis as a major determinant of TPC self-renewal and differentiation in ERMS, raising hope of therapeutically targeting this pathway in the future. ..
- Jang I, Lu Y, Zhao L, Wenzel P, Kume T, Datta S, et al. Notch1 acts via Foxc2 to promote definitive hematopoiesis via effects on hemogenic endothelium. Blood. 2015;125:1418-26 pubmed publisher..These data establish a pathway linking Notch signaling to Foxc2 in hemogenic endothelial cells to promote definitive hematopoiesis. ..
- Mei J, Liu S, Li Z, Gui J. Mtmr8 is essential for vasculature development in zebrafish embryos. BMC Dev Biol. 2010;10:96 pubmed publisher..Here, we attempt to explore the function of Mtmr8 in vasculature development parallel to its function in muscle development...
- Hirashima M, Suda T. Differentiation of arterial and venous endothelial cells and vascular morphogenesis. Endothelium. 2006;13:137-45 pubmed..These insights indicate that the balance of these genetic factors and modification by epigenetic factors such as hemodynamics and oxygen tension are important for proper endothelial cell identities in vascular morphogenesis. ..
- Hogan B, Bussmann J, Wolburg H, Schulte Merker S. ccm1 cell autonomously regulates endothelial cellular morphogenesis and vascular tubulogenesis in zebrafish. Hum Mol Genet. 2008;17:2424-32 pubmed publisher..Finally, we show that ccm1 function is cell autonomous, suggesting that it is endothelial cellular morphogenesis that is regulated by CCM proteins during development and pathogenesis. ..
- Leitch C, Lodh S, Prieto EchagÃ¼e V, Badano J, Zaghloul N. Basal body proteins regulate Notch signaling through endosomal trafficking. J Cell Sci. 2014;127:2407-19 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest a role for these proteins in the regulation of Notch through endosomal trafficking of the receptor. ..
- Chen X, Gays D, Milia C, Santoro M. Cilia Control Vascular Mural Cell Recruitment in Vertebrates. Cell Rep. 2017;18:1033-1047 pubmed publisher..In summary, we have identified a hemodynamic-dependent mechanism in the developing vasculature that controls vMC recruitment. ..
- Chiang I, Fritzsche M, Pichol Thievend C, Neal A, Holmes K, Lagendijk A, et al. SoxF factors induce Notch1 expression via direct transcriptional regulation during early arterial development. Development. 2017;144:2629-2639 pubmed publisher..These findings position SoxF transcription factors directly upstream of Notch receptor expression during the acquisition of arterial identity in vertebrates. ..
- Wang X, Yuan W, Wang X, Qi J, Qin Y, Shi Y, et al. The somite-secreted factor Maeg promotes zebrafish embryonic angiogenesis. Oncotarget. 2016;7:77749-77763 pubmed publisher..We conclude that Maeg acts as a positive regulator of angiogenic cell behavior and formation of functional vessels. ..
- Romero Carvajal A, Navajas Acedo J, Jiang L, Kozlovskaja GumbrienÄ— A, Alexander R, Li H, et al. Regeneration of Sensory Hair Cells Requires Localized Interactions between the Notch and Wnt Pathways. Dev Cell. 2015;34:267-82 pubmed publisher..The striking similaritiesÂ toÂ other vertebrate stem cell compartments uniquely place zebrafish to help elucidate why mammals possess such low capacity to regenerate hair cells. ..
- Zaucker A, Mercurio S, Sternheim N, Talbot W, Marlow F. notch3 is essential for oligodendrocyte development and vascular integrity in zebrafish. Dis Model Mech. 2013;6:1246-59 pubmed publisherMutations in the human NOTCH3 gene cause CADASIL syndrome (cerebral autosomal dominant arteriopathy with subcortical infarcts and leukoencephalopathy)...
- Stickney H, Barresi M, Devoto S. Somite development in zebrafish. Dev Dyn. 2000;219:287-303 pubmed..We show directly, for the first time, that muscle cell and sclerotome migrations occur at the same time. We end with a look at the many questions about somitogenesis that are still unanswered. ..
- Zhao L, Borikova A, Ben Yair R, Guner Ataman B, Macrae C, Lee R, et al. Notch signaling regulates cardiomyocyte proliferation during zebrafish heart regeneration. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2014;111:1403-8 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our data uncover the exquisite sensitivity of regenerative cardiomyocyte proliferation to perturbations in Notch signaling. ..
- Lee H, Lin Y, Lai Y, Huang W, Hu J, Tsai J, et al. Glycogen synthase kinase 3 beta in somites plays a role during the angiogenesis of zebrafish embryos. FEBS J. 2014;281:4367-83 pubmed publisher..Thus, both active and inactive forms of Gsk3b mediate the cooperative signaling between Wnt/?-catenin and PI3K/AKT to control VegfAa expression in somites during angiogenesis in zebrafish embryos. ..
- Maragh S, Miller R, Bessling S, Wang G, Hook P, McCallion A. Rbm24a and Rbm24b are required for normal somitogenesis. PLoS ONE. 2014;9:e105460 pubmed publisher..By contrast expression of the Notch receptors notch1a and notch3 appears unchanged. Some RBM-family members have been implicated in pre-mRNA processing...
- Covassin L, Siekmann A, Kacergis M, Laver E, Moore J, Villefranc J, et al. A genetic screen for vascular mutants in zebrafish reveals dynamic roles for Vegf/Plcg1 signaling during artery development. Dev Biol. 2009;329:212-26 pubmed publisher..Together our genetic analyses suggest that Vegf/Plcg1 signaling acts at multiple time points and in different signaling contexts to mediate distinct aspects of artery development. ..
- Watson O, Novodvorsky P, Gray C, Rothman A, Lawrie A, Crossman D, et al. Blood flow suppresses vascular Notch signalling via dll4 and is required for angiogenesis in response to hypoxic signalling. Cardiovasc Res. 2013;100:252-61 pubmed publisher..These data indicate important differences in hypoxia-driven vs. developmental angiogenesis. ..
- Pillay L, Mackowetzky K, Widen S, Waskiewicz A. Somite-Derived Retinoic Acid Regulates Zebrafish Hematopoietic Stem Cell Formation. PLoS ONE. 2016;11:e0166040 pubmed publisher..Our analyses demonstrate that somite-derived RA functions to regulate components of the Notch and Cxcl12 chemokine signaling pathways during HSC formation. ..
- Hermkens D, van Impel A, Urasaki A, Bussmann J, Duckers H, Schulte Merker S. Sox7 controls arterial specification in conjunction with hey2 and efnb2 function. Development. 2015;142:1695-704 pubmed publisher..Hence, sox7 levels are crucial in arterial specification in conjunction with hey2 and efnb2 function, with mutants in all three genes displaying shunt formation and an arterial block. ..
- Tsai H, Hamilton A, Tinch A, Guy D, Gharbi K, Stear M, et al. Genome wide association and genomic prediction for growth traits in juvenile farmed Atlantic salmon using a high density SNP array. BMC Genomics. 2015;16:969 pubmed publisher..The results have practical relevance for genomic selection in salmon and may also provide insight into variation in the identified genes underpinning body growth and development in salmonid species. ..
- Dyer C, Linker C, Graham A, Knight R. Specification of sensory neurons occurs through diverse developmental programs functioning in the brain and spinal cord. Dev Dyn. 2014;243:1429-39 pubmed publisher..Our work reveals fundamental differences between the development of MTN and RB neurons and suggests that these populations are non-homologous and thus have distinct developmental and, probably, evolutionary origins. ..
- Herpers R, van de Kamp E, Duckers H, Schulte Merker S. Redundant roles for sox7 and sox18 in arteriovenous specification in zebrafish. Circ Res. 2008;102:12-5 pubmed..Our study identifies members of the Sox family as key factors in specifying arteriovenous identity and will help to better understand hypotrichosis-lymphedema-telangiectasia and other diseases. ..
- Shi Y, Yuan W, Wang X, Gong J, Zhu S, Chai L, et al. Combretastatin A-4 efficiently inhibits angiogenesis and induces neuronal apoptosis in zebrafish. Sci Rep. 2016;6:30189 pubmed publisher..In addition, notch1a was up-regulated in CA-4 treated embryos, and inhibition of Notch signaling by DAPT partially rescued the apoptosis in zebrafish central nervous system caused by CA-4. ..
- Li W, Chen J, Deng M, Jing Q. The zebrafish Tie2 signaling controls tip cell behaviors and acts synergistically with Vegf pathway in developmental angiogenesis. Acta Biochim Biophys Sin (Shanghai). 2014;46:641-6 pubmed publisher..These observations demonstrate that Tie2 is an important regulator of tip cell behaviors. Moreover, these findings provide in vivo evidence that Tie2 acts coordinately with Vegf signaling to control angiogenesis. ..
- O Brien L, Grimaldi M, Kostun Z, Wingert R, Selleck R, Davidson A. Wt1a, Foxc1a, and the Notch mediator Rbpj physically interact and regulate the formation of podocytes in zebrafish. Dev Biol. 2011;358:318-30 pubmed publisher..These findings further our understanding of the transcriptional circuitry responsible for podocyte formation and differentiation during kidney development. ..
- Rowlinson J, Gering M. Hey2 acts upstream of Notch in hematopoietic stem cell specification in zebrafish embryos. Blood. 2010;116:2046-56 pubmed publisher..These results establish an essential role for Hey2 upstream of Notch in HSC formation. ..
- Pendeville H, Winandy M, Manfroid I, Nivelles O, Motte P, Pasque V, et al. Zebrafish Sox7 and Sox18 function together to control arterial-venous identity. Dev Biol. 2008;317:405-16 pubmed publisher..The striking similarities between the phenotype of Sox7/Sox18 morphants and Gridlock mutants strongly suggest that Sox7 and Sox18 control arterial-venous identity by regulating Gridlock expression. ..
- Wang X, Wang X, Yuan W, Chai R, Liu D. Egfl6 is involved in zebrafish notochord development. Fish Physiol Biochem. 2015;41:961-9 pubmed publisher..We found that inhibition of Notch signaling by DAPT efficiently rescued notochord developmental defect of Egfl6 deficiency embryos. ..
- Quillien A, Moore J, Shin M, Siekmann A, Smith T, Pan L, et al. Distinct Notch signaling outputs pattern the developing arterial system. Development. 2014;141:1544-52 pubmed publisher..Together, these findings demonstrate that Notch acts in distinct contexts to initiate and maintain artery identity during embryogenesis. ..
- Garcia G, Goodale B, Wiley M, La Du J, Hendrix D, Tanguay R. In Vivo Characterization of an AHR-Dependent Long Noncoding RNA Required for Proper Sox9b Expression. Mol Pharmacol. 2017;91:609-619 pubmed publisher..Our results place slincR as an intermediate between AHR2 activation and the reduction of sox9b mRNA in the AHR2 signaling pathway. ..
- Lamont R, Wu C, Ryu J, Vu W, Davari P, Sobering R, et al. The LIM-homeodomain transcription factor Islet2a promotes angioblast migration. Dev Biol. 2016;414:181-92 pubmed publisher..Thus Isl2a may act as an intermediate between Notch signaling and genetic programs controlling angioblast number and migration, placing it as a novel transcriptional regulator of early angiogenesis. ..
- Chong M, Liao M, Drapeau P. The vesicular integral protein-like gene is essential for development of a mechanosensory system in zebrafish. Dev Neurobiol. 2008;68:1391-405 pubmed publisher..We conclude that zVIPL-s is a necessary component of Delta-Notch signaling during neuromast development in the lateral line mechanosensory system. ..
- Tu H, Lee G, Hsiao T, Kao T, Wang T, Tsai J, et al. One crisis, diverse impacts-Tissue-specificity of folate deficiency-induced circulation defects in zebrafish larvae. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0188585 pubmed publisher..This study also supports the use of this model for further research on the defective cardiogenesis and hematopoiesis caused by folate deficiency. ..
- Delfino Machin M, Madelaine R, Busolin G, Nikaido M, Colanesi S, Camargo Sosa K, et al. Sox10 contributes to the balance of fate choice in dorsal root ganglion progenitors. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0172947 pubmed publisher..Sox10 is thus a key transcription factor in achieving the balance of sensory neuronal and glial fates. ..
- Chen X, Lou Q, He J, Yin Z. Role of zebrafish lbx2 in embryonic lateral line development. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e29515 pubmed publisher..In addition, the disassociation of PPL nerve extension with PLL primordial migration in some lbx2 morphants suggests that pathfinding of the PLL primordium and the lateral line nerve may be regulated independently. ..
- Zygmunt T, Gay C, Blondelle J, Singh M, Flaherty K, Means P, et al. Semaphorin-PlexinD1 signaling limits angiogenic potential via the VEGF decoy receptor sFlt1. Dev Cell. 2011;21:301-14 pubmed publisher..Hence, Sema-PlxnD1 signaling regulates distinct but related aspects of angiogenesis: the spatial allocation of angiogenic capacity within a primary vessel and sprout guidance. ..
- Lamont R, Vu W, Carter A, Serluca F, Macrae C, Childs S. Hedgehog signaling via angiopoietin1 is required for developmental vascular stability. Mech Dev. 2010;127:159-68 pubmed publisher..This is the first direct in vivo link between hedgehog signaling and the induction of vascular stability by recruitment of perivascular mural cells through angiopoietin signaling. ..
- Jurisch Yaksi N, Rose A, Lu H, Raemaekers T, Munck S, Baatsen P, et al. Rer1p maintains ciliary length and signaling by regulating ?-secretase activity and Foxj1a levels. J Cell Biol. 2013;200:709-20 pubmed publisher..We further demonstrate that Rer1p depletion reduced ciliary length and function by increasing ?-secretase complex assembly and activity and, consequently, enhancing Notch signaling as well as reducing Foxj1a expression. ..
- Katz S, Cussigh D, Urbán N, Blomfield I, Guillemot F, Bally Cuif L, et al. A Nuclear Role for miR-9 and Argonaute Proteins in Balancing Quiescent and Activated Neural Stem Cell States. Cell Rep. 2016;17:1383-1398 pubmed publisher..We propose a conserved non-canonical role for nuclear miR-9/Agos in controlling the balance between NSC quiescence and activation, a key step in maintaining adult germinal pools. ..
- Yu P, Gu S, Bu J, Du J. TRPC1 is essential for in vivo angiogenesis in zebrafish. Circ Res. 2010;106:1221-32 pubmed publisher..It implicates that TRPC1 may represent a potential target for treating pathological angiogenesis. ..
- Nicoli S, Tobia C, Gualandi L, De Sena G, Presta M. Calcitonin receptor-like receptor guides arterial differentiation in zebrafish. Blood. 2008;111:4965-72 pubmed publisher..cell identity in dorsal aorta, as shown by the lack of expression of the arterial markers ephrin-B2a, DeltaC, and notch5. Down-regulation of crlr affects vascular endothelial growth factor (vegf) expression, whereas vegf overexpression ..
- Burns C, Traver D, Mayhall E, Shepard J, Zon L. Hematopoietic stem cell fate is established by the Notch-Runx pathway. Genes Dev. 2005;19:2331-42 pubmed..These data define the Notch-Runx pathway as critical for the developmental specification of HSC fate and the subsequent homeostasis of HSC number, thus providing a mechanism for amplifying stem cells in vivo...
- Kim A, Melick C, Clements W, Stachura D, Distel M, PanÃ¡kovÃ¡ D, et al. Discrete Notch signaling requirements in the specification of hematopoietic stem cells. EMBO J. 2014;33:2363-73 pubmed publisher..By contrast, the Notch3 receptor is required earlier within the developing somite to regulate HSC emergence in a non-cell-autonomous ..
- Chen D, Li L, Tu X, Yin Z, Wang Q. Functional characterization of Klippel-Trenaunay syndrome gene AGGF1 identifies a novel angiogenic signaling pathway for specification of vein differentiation and angiogenesis during embryogenesis. Hum Mol Genet. 2013;22:963-76 pubmed publisher..g. flt4), but had little effect on arterial markers (e.g. notch5)...
- Yurco P, Cameron D. Cellular correlates of proneural and Notch-delta gene expression in the regenerating zebrafish retina. Vis Neurosci. 2007;24:437-43 pubmed..gene (achaete-scute homolog 1a, ash1a) and neurogenic components of the Notch signaling pathway, including notch3 and deltaA, were implicated...
- Dunn E, Billquist E, VanderStoep A, Bax P, Westrate L, McLellan L, et al. Dual Roles of Fer Kinase Are Required for Proper Hematopoiesis and Vascular Endothelium Organization during Zebrafish Development. Biology (Basel). 2017;6: pubmed publisher..Our data suggest a model in which separate kinase dependent and independent functions of Fer act in conjunction with Notch activity in a divergent manner for hematopoietic determination and vascular tissue organization. ..
- Krueger J, Liu D, Scholz K, Zimmer A, Shi Y, Klein C, et al. Flt1 acts as a negative regulator of tip cell formation and branching morphogenesis in the zebrafish embryo. Development. 2011;138:2111-20 pubmed publisher..Thus, Flt1 acts in a Notch-dependent manner as a negative regulator of tip cell differentiation and branching. Flt1 distribution may be fine-tuned, involving interactions with the developing nervous system. ..