Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: notch1a
Description: notch 1a
Alias: des, n1a, wu:fc01e02, wu:fc37a05, neurogenic locus notch homolog protein 1, deadly seven, notch 1, notch homolog 1a
- Lawson N, Scheer N, Pham V, Kim C, Chitnis A, Campos Ortega J, et al. Notch signaling is required for arterial-venous differentiation during embryonic vascular development. Development. 2001;128:3675-83 pubmed..Movies available on-line ..
- Sieger D, Tautz D, Gajewski M. The role of Suppressor of Hairless in Notch mediated signalling during zebrafish somitogenesis. Mech Dev. 2003;120:1083-94 pubmed..mesoderm is disrupted by the Su(H) knockdown mimicking the expression of these genes in the notch1a mutant deadly seven. deltaD expression is similarly affected by Su(H) knockdown like deltaC but shows in addition an ectopic ..
- Esni F, Ghosh B, Biankin A, Lin J, Albert M, Yu X, et al. Notch inhibits Ptf1 function and acinar cell differentiation in developing mouse and zebrafish pancreas. Development. 2004;131:4213-24 pubmed..These results define a normal inhibitory role for Notch in the regulation of exocrine pancreatic differentiation. ..
- Lorent K, Moore J, Siekmann A, Lawson N, Pack M. Reiterative use of the notch signal during zebrafish intrahepatic biliary development. Dev Dyn. 2010;239:855-64 pubmed publisher..As the Notch pathway plays a comparable role during mammalian biliary development, including humans, these studies also indicate broad conservation of the molecular mechanisms directing biliary development in vertebrates. ..
- Jülich D, Geisler R, Holley S. Integrinalpha5 and delta/notch signaling have complementary spatiotemporal requirements during zebrafish somitogenesis. Dev Cell. 2005;8:575-86 pubmed..a phenotype complementary to the posterior defects seen in the notch pathway mutants after eight/deltaD and deadly seven/notch1a...
- Scheer N, Campos Ortega J. Use of the Gal4-UAS technique for targeted gene expression in the zebrafish. Mech Dev. 1999;80:153-8 pubmed..This work smoothes the way for a novel method of misexpression of gene products in zebrafish in order to analyze the function of genes in developmental processes. ..
- Herbert S, Huisken J, Kim T, Feldman M, Houseman B, Wang R, et al. Arterial-venous segregation by selective cell sprouting: an alternative mode of blood vessel formation. Science. 2009;326:294-8 pubmed publisher..Thus, directional control of progenitor migration drives arterial-venous segregation and generation of separate parallel vessels from a single precursor vessel, a process essential for vascular development. ..
- Ma M, Jiang Y. Jagged2a-notch signaling mediates cell fate choice in the zebrafish pronephric duct. PLoS Genet. 2007;3:e18 pubmed..5 hours post-fertilization onwards in a mosaic pattern. Jagged2a-Notch1a/Notch3-Her9 is responsible for specification and patterning of these two cell types through a lateral inhibition ..
- Janicke M, Carney T, Hammerschmidt M. Foxi3 transcription factors and Notch signaling control the formation of skin ionocytes from epidermal precursors of the zebrafish embryo. Dev Biol. 2007;307:258-71 pubmed..A model for ionocyte versus keratinocyte development will be presented, postulating additional thus far unidentified pro-ionocyte factors. ..
- Yee N, Lorent K, Pack M. Exocrine pancreas development in zebrafish. Dev Biol. 2005;284:84-101 pubmed..By contrast, analyses of mind bomb mutants and jagged morpholino-injected larvae suggest that Notch signaling principally regulates ductal differentiation of bipotential exocrine progenitors. ..
- Esaki M, Hoshijima K, Nakamura N, Munakata K, Tanaka M, Ookata K, et al. Mechanism of development of ionocytes rich in vacuolar-type H(+)-ATPase in the skin of zebrafish larvae. Dev Biol. 2009;329:116-29 pubmed publisher..These observations provide a better understanding of the differentiation and distribution of the vH-MRC subtype. ..
- Dias T, Yang Y, Ogai K, Becker T, Becker C. Notch signaling controls generation of motor neurons in the lesioned spinal cord of adult zebrafish. J Neurosci. 2012;32:3245-52 pubmed publisher..This demonstrates that Notch is a negative signal for regenerative neurogenesis, and, importantly, that spinal motor neuron regeneration can be augmented in an adult vertebrate by inhibiting Notch signaling. ..
- Ninov N, Borius M, Stainier D. Different levels of Notch signaling regulate quiescence, renewal and differentiation in pancreatic endocrine progenitors. Development. 2012;139:1557-67 pubmed publisher..These data show that different levels of Notch signaling drive distinct behaviors in a progenitor population. ..
- Haddon C, Smithers L, Schneider Maunoury S, Coche T, Henrique D, Lewis J. Multiple delta genes and lateral inhibition in zebrafish primary neurogenesis. Development. 1998;125:359-70 pubmed
- Wibowo I, Pinto Teixeira F, Satou C, Higashijima S, Lopez Schier H. Compartmentalized Notch signaling sustains epithelial mirror symmetry. Development. 2011;138:1143-52 pubmed publisher..We conclude that a strongly anisotropic regeneration process that relies on the dynamic stabilization of progenitor identity in permissive polar compartments sustains bilateral symmetry in the lateral line. ..
- Quillien A, Blanco Sanchez B, Halluin C, Moore J, Lawson N, Blader P, et al. BMP signaling orchestrates photoreceptor specification in the zebrafish pineal gland in collaboration with Notch. Development. 2011;138:2293-302 pubmed publisher..Our results provide new insights into how multiple signaling influences are integrated during cell fate specification in the vertebrate CNS. ..
- Zhou T, Wang L, Zhu K, Dong M, Xu P, Chen Y, et al. Dominant-negative C/ebp? and polycomb group protein Bmi1 extend short-lived hematopoietic stem/progenitor cell life span and induce lethal dyserythropoiesis. Blood. 2011;118:3842-52 pubmed publisher..The results indicate that Bmi1 acts immediately downstream of C/ebp?DN to regulate the survival and self-renewal of HSPCs and contribute to the erythropoietic dysplasia. ..
- Lorent K, Yeo S, Oda T, Chandrasekharappa S, Chitnis A, Matthews R, et al. Inhibition of Jagged-mediated Notch signaling disrupts zebrafish biliary development and generates multi-organ defects compatible with an Alagille syndrome phenocopy. Development. 2004;131:5753-66 pubmed..These data confirm an evolutionarily conserved role for Notch signaling in vertebrate liver development, and support the zebrafish as a model system for diseases of the human biliary system...
- Scheer N, Riedl I, Warren J, Kuwada J, Campos Ortega J. A quantitative analysis of the kinetics of Gal4 activator and effector gene expression in the zebrafish. Mech Dev. 2002;112:9-14 pubmedUsing a temperature-inducible hsp70:Gal4 activator and UAS:myc-notch1a-intra as effector, we determined quantitatively the kinetics of expression of both transgenes and analysed the effects of varying their expressivity on several ..
- van Eeden F, Granato M, Schach U, Brand M, Furutani Seiki M, Haffter P, et al. Mutations affecting somite formation and patterning in the zebrafish, Danio rerio. Development. 1996;123:153-64 pubmed..Mutations in fused somites (fss) and beamter (bea) affect all somites, whereas mutations in deadly seven (des), after eight (aei) and white tail (wit) only affect the more posterior somites...
- Liu Y, Pathak N, Kramer Zucker A, Drummond I. Notch signaling controls the differentiation of transporting epithelia and multiciliated cells in the zebrafish pronephros. Development. 2007;134:1111-22 pubmed..Conversely, ectopic expression of the Notch1a intracellular domain represses MCC differentiation...
- Hsiao C, You M, Guh Y, Ma M, Jiang Y, Hwang P. A positive regulatory loop between foxi3a and foxi3b is essential for specification and differentiation of zebrafish epidermal ionocytes. PLoS ONE. 2007;2:e302 pubmed..The entire epidermal ionocyte domain of genetic mutants and morphants, which failed to transmit the DeltaC-Notch1a/Notch3 signal from sending cells (epidermal ionocytes) to receiving cells (epidermal stem cells), differentiates ..
- Henry C, McNulty I, Durst W, Munchel S, Amacher S. Interactions between muscle fibers and segment boundaries in zebrafish. Dev Biol. 2005;287:346-60 pubmed..Inhibition of Hedgehog-induced slow muscle induction in aei/deltaD and deadly seven (des)/notch1a mutant embryos suggests that slow muscle is necessary for myotome boundary recovery in the ..
- Takke C, Campos Ortega J. her1, a zebrafish pair-rule like gene, acts downstream of notch signalling to control somite development. Development. 1999;126:3005-14 pubmed..RNA encoding a constitutively active form of notch1a (notch1a-intra) and a truncated variant of deltaD [deltaD(Pst)], as well as transcripts of deltaC and deltaD, the ..
- Smithers L, Haddon C, Jiang Y, Lewis J. Sequence and embryonic expression of deltaC in the zebrafish. Mech Dev. 2000;90:119-23 pubmed..There is expression also in notochord, blood vessels and pronephros. ..
- Kikuchi Y, Verkade H, Reiter J, Kim C, Chitnis A, Kuroiwa A, et al. Notch signaling can regulate endoderm formation in zebrafish. Dev Dyn. 2004;229:756-62 pubmed..Altogether, these results suggest that Notch signaling plays a role in the formation of the endoderm, possibly in its segregation from the mesoderm. ..
- Geling A, Plessy C, Rastegar S, Strahle U, Bally Cuif L. Her5 acts as a prepattern factor that blocks neurogenin1 and coe2 expression upstream of Notch to inhibit neurogenesis at the midbrain-hindbrain boundary. Development. 2004;131:1993-2006 pubmed..Together our data demonstrate a role of Her5 as a prepattern factor in the spatial definition of proneural domains in the zebrafish neural plate, in a manner similar to its Drosophila homologue Hairy. ..
- Ke Z, Kondrichin I, Gong Z, Korzh V. Combined activity of the two Gli2 genes of zebrafish play a major role in Hedgehog signaling during zebrafish neurodevelopment. Mol Cell Neurosci. 2008;37:388-401 pubmed..Gli2b acts in cell proliferation and plays an early role in the hindbrain within a regulatory cascade involving Notch and Ngn1, as well as a role as specific activator in rhombomere 4. ..
- Latimer A, Dong X, Markov Y, Appel B. Delta-Notch signaling induces hypochord development in zebrafish. Development. 2002;129:2555-63 pubmed..We propose that Delta signaling from paraxial mesoderm diversifies midline cell fate by inducing a subset of neighboring midline precursors to develop as hypochord, rather than as notochord. ..
- Yeo S, Kim M, Kim H, Huh T, Chitnis A. Fluorescent protein expression driven by her4 regulatory elements reveals the spatiotemporal pattern of Notch signaling in the nervous system of zebrafish embryos. Dev Biol. 2007;301:555-67 pubmed..The establishment of a reporter line with Notch-Su(H)-dependent fluorescent gene expression provides a tool to explore the complex role of Notch signaling in the development of vertebrate nervous system. ..
- Zecchin E, Filippi A, Biemar F, Tiso N, Pauls S, Ellertsdottir E, et al. Distinct delta and jagged genes control sequential segregation of pancreatic cell types from precursor pools in zebrafish. Dev Biol. 2007;301:192-204 pubmed..Finally, overexpression of Notch1a-intracellular-domain in the whole pancreas primordium or specifically in beta-cells helped us to refine a model ..
- Millimaki B, Sweet E, Riley B. Sox2 is required for maintenance and regeneration, but not initial development, of hair cells in the zebrafish inner ear. Dev Biol. 2010;338:262-9 pubmed publisher..In contrast, regeneration does not occur in sox2-depleted embryos. These data show that zebrafish sox2 is required for hair cell survival, as well as for transdifferentiation of support cells into hair cells during regeneration. ..
- Del Bene F, Wehman A, Link B, Baier H. Regulation of neurogenesis by interkinetic nuclear migration through an apical-basal notch gradient. Cell. 2008;134:1055-65 pubmed publisher..Our data indicate that the function of INM is to balance the exposure of progenitor nuclei to neurogenic versus proliferative signals. ..
- Park H, Appel B. Delta-Notch signaling regulates oligodendrocyte specification. Development. 2003;130:3747-55 pubmed..Our data provide evidence that Notch signaling maintains subsets of ventral spinal cord precursors during neuronal birth and, acting with other temporally and spatially restricted factors, specifies them for oligodendrocyte fate. ..
- Ma E, Rubel E, Raible D. Notch signaling regulates the extent of hair cell regeneration in the zebrafish lateral line. J Neurosci. 2008;28:2261-73 pubmed publisher..Excess hair cells result from increased support cell proliferation. These results suggest a model where Notch signaling limits the number of hair cells produced during regeneration by regulating support cell proliferation. ..
- Horikawa K, Ishimatsu K, Yoshimoto E, Kondo S, Takeda H. Noise-resistant and synchronized oscillation of the segmentation clock. Nature. 2006;441:719-23 pubmed..The intercellular coupling was found to have a crucial role in minimizing the effects of this noise to maintain coherent oscillation. ..
- Leslie J, Ariza McNaughton L, Bermange A, McAdow R, Johnson S, Lewis J. Endothelial signalling by the Notch ligand Delta-like 4 restricts angiogenesis. Development. 2007;134:839-44 pubmed..Thus, Dll4-Notch signalling acts as an angiogenic ;off' switch by making endothelial cells unresponsive to Vegf. ..
- Cornell R, Eisen J. Delta/Notch signaling promotes formation of zebrafish neural crest by repressing Neurogenin 1 function. Development. 2002;129:2639-48 pubmed..We propose that temporally distinct episodes of Ngn1 activity in the same precursor population specify these two different types of sensory neurons. ..
- Yamamoto M, Morita R, Mizoguchi T, Matsuo H, Isoda M, Ishitani T, et al. Mib-Jag1-Notch signalling regulates patterning and structural roles of the notochord by controlling cell-fate decisions. Development. 2010;137:2527-37 pubmed publisher..These data reveal a previously unrecognized mechanism regulating the patterning and structural roles of the notochord by Mib-Jag1-Notch signalling-mediated cell-fate determination. ..
- So J, Chun H, Bae Y, Kim H, Park Y, Huh T, et al. Her4 is necessary for establishing peripheral projections of the trigeminal ganglia in zebrafish. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2009;379:22-6 pubmed publisher..These observations suggest that Her4 and Notch play a role in peripheral outgrowth of sensory neurons. ..
- Oates A, Mueller C, Ho R. Cooperative function of deltaC and her7 in anterior segment formation. Dev Biol. 2005;280:133-49 pubmed..segmentation defects were seen in the dlc knock down, and in combination with the deltaD or notch1a mutants...
- Parsons M, Pisharath H, Yusuff S, Moore J, Siekmann A, Lawson N, et al. Notch-responsive cells initiate the secondary transition in larval zebrafish pancreas. Mech Dev. 2009;126:898-912 pubmed publisher..We also show that Notch-responsive cells persist in the adult pancreas and possess the classical characteristics of centroacinar cells, a cell type believed to be a multipotent progenitor cell in adult mammalian pancreas. ..
- Schebesta M, Serluca F. olig1 Expression identifies developing oligodendrocytes in zebrafish and requires hedgehog and notch signaling. Dev Dyn. 2009;238:887-98 pubmed publisher..Lastly, knockdown of Olig1 in an Olig2-sensitized background did result in defects in CNS myelination, indicating a functional overlap between Olig1 and Olig2 proteins. ..
- Diks S, Sartori da Silva M, Hillebrands J, Bink R, Versteeg H, van Rooijen C, et al. d-Asb11 is an essential mediator of canonical Delta-Notch signalling. Nat Cell Biol. 2008;10:1190-8 pubmed publisher..We conclude that d-Asb11 is a component in the regulation of Delta-Notch signalling, important in fine-tuning the lateral inhibition gradients between DeltaA and Notch through a cell non-autonomous mechanism. ..
- Mahler J, Filippi A, Driever W. DeltaA/DeltaD regulate multiple and temporally distinct phases of notch signaling during dopaminergic neurogenesis in zebrafish. J Neurosci. 2010;30:16621-35 pubmed publisher..Rather, DeltaA/D limits the size of the sim1a- and otpa-expressing precursor pool from which dopaminergic neurons differentiate. ..
- Cau E, Quillien A, Blader P. Notch resolves mixed neural identities in the zebrafish epiphysis. Development. 2008;135:2391-401 pubmed publisher..We propose a novel model in which Notch resolves mixed neural identities by repressing an undesired genetic program. ..
- Itoh M, Kim C, Palardy G, Oda T, Jiang Y, Maust D, et al. Mind bomb is a ubiquitin ligase that is essential for efficient activation of Notch signaling by Delta. Dev Cell. 2003;4:67-82 pubmed..This facilitates intramembranous cleavage of the remaining Notch receptor, release of the Notch intracellular fragment, and activation of target genes in neighboring cells. ..
- Bernardos R, Lentz S, Wolfe M, Raymond P. Notch-Delta signaling is required for spatial patterning and Müller glia differentiation in the zebrafish retina. Dev Biol. 2005;278:381-95 pubmed..In contrast to neurons, Müller glia failed to differentiate suggesting an instructive role for Notch-Delta signaling in gliogenesis. ..
- Collins R, Linker C, Lewis J. MAZe: a tool for mosaic analysis of gene function in zebrafish. Nat Methods. 2010;7:219-23 pubmed publisher..As an alternative to heat shock, we introduced Cre under a tissue-specific promoter in MAZe fish to generate clones in a designated tissue. ..
- Kawamura A, Koshida S, Hijikata H, Sakaguchi T, Kondoh H, Takada S. Zebrafish hairy/enhancer of split protein links FGF signaling to cyclic gene expression in the periodic segmentation of somites. Genes Dev. 2005;19:1156-61 pubmed..Furthermore, Her13.2 augments autorepression of her1 in association with Her1 protein. Therefore, FGF signaling appears to maintain the oscillation machinery by supplying a binding partner, Her13.2, for Her1. ..
- Pasini A, Jiang Y, Wilkinson D. Two zebrafish Notch-dependent hairy/Enhancer-of-split-related genes, her6 and her4, are required to maintain the coordination of cyclic gene expression in the presomitic mesoderm. Development. 2004;131:1529-41 pubmed