Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: nkx2.4b
Description: NK2 homeobox 4b
Alias: nk2.1a, nkx2.1, nkx2.1a, nkx2.4a, titf1, titf1a, NK2 homeobox 4b, NK2 homeobox 1a, NK2 homeobox 2.4b, thyroid transcription factor 1a
- Eaton J, Glasgow E. The zebrafish bHLH PAS transcriptional regulator, single-minded 1 (sim1), is required for isotocin cell development. Dev Dyn. 2006;235:2071-82 pubmed..We provide evidence that the role of sim1 in zebrafish neuroendocrine cell development is evolutionarily conserved with that of mammals. ..
- Elsalini O, von Gartzen J, Cramer M, Rohr K. Zebrafish hhex, nk2.1a, and pax2.1 regulate thyroid growth and differentiation downstream of Nodal-dependent transcription factors. Dev Biol. 2003;263:67-80 pubmed..Our functional analysis suggests that these genes have similar roles as in mammalian thyroid development, albeit in a different temporal mode of organogenesis. ..
- Shanmugalingam S, Houart C, Picker A, Reifers F, Macdonald R, Barth A, et al. Ace/Fgf8 is required for forebrain commissure formation and patterning of the telencephalon. Development. 2000;127:2549-61 pubmed..However, as ace mutant neural plate cells still retain at least some inductive activity, then other signals must also be produced by the anterior margin of the neural plate. ..
- Alt B, Elsalini O, Schrumpf P, Haufs N, Lawson N, Schwabe G, et al. Arteries define the position of the thyroid gland during its developmental relocalisation. Development. 2006;133:3797-804 pubmed..Moreover, the involvement of vessels in thyroid relocalisation sheds new light on the interpretation of congenital thyroid defects in humans. ..
- Koch P, LÃ¶hr H, Driever W. A mutation in cnot8, component of the Ccr4-not complex regulating transcript stability, affects expression levels of developmental regulators and reveals a role of Fgf3 in development of caudal hypothalamic dopaminergic neurons. PLoS ONE. 2014;9:e113829 pubmed publisher..Our data indicate that attenuation of Cnot8 activity differentially affects mRNA levels of developmental control genes. ..
- Shin D, Lee Y, Poss K, Stainier D. Restriction of hepatic competence by Fgf signaling. Development. 2011;138:1339-48 pubmed publisher..These data provide in vivo evidence that endodermal cells outside the liver-forming region retain hepatic competence and show that an extrinsic signal, Fgf10a, negatively regulates hepatic competence. ..
- Chandrasekar G, Arner A, Kitambi S, Dahlman Wright K, Lendahl M. Developmental toxicity of the environmental pollutant 4-nonylphenol in zebrafish. Neurotoxicol Teratol. 2011;33:752-64 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that 4-NP enduringly affects the embryonic development in zebrafish and that this compound might exert these deleterious effects through diverse signaling pathways. ..
- Lauter G, Söll I, Hauptmann G. Molecular characterization of prosomeric and intraprosomeric subdivisions of the embryonic zebrafish diencephalon. J Comp Neurol. 2013;521:1093-118 pubmed publisher..Our comparative gene expression analysis conformed with the idea of a common bauplan for the diencephalon of anamniote and amniote vertebrates from fish to mammals. ..
- Graf M, Teo Qi Wen E, Sarusie M, Rajaei F, Winkler C. Dmrt5 controls corticotrope and gonadotrope differentiation in the zebrafish pituitary. Mol Endocrinol. 2015;29:187-99 pubmed publisher..Intriguingly, its effect on gonadotrope numbers defines a first nongonadal role for a dmrt family member that appears crucial for the activity of the reproductive system. ..
- Elsalini O, Rohr K. Phenylthiourea disrupts thyroid function in developing zebrafish. Dev Genes Evol. 2003;212:593-8 pubmed..At doses of 0.003% PTurea, however, toxic side effects seem to be at a minimum, and the maternal contribution of the hormone might compensate for compromised thyroid function during the first days of development. ..
- Yu L, Lam J, Guo Y, Wu R, Lam P, Zhou B. Parental transfer of polybrominated diphenyl ethers (PBDEs) and thyroid endocrine disruption in zebrafish. Environ Sci Technol. 2011;45:10652-9 pubmed publisher..For the first time, we demonstrated that parental exposure to low concentrations of PBDEs could affect THs in the offspring and the transgenerational PBDE-induced toxicity in subsequent nonexposed generations. ..
- Sun L, Chen F, Peng G. Conserved Noncoding Sequences Regulate lhx5 Expression in the Zebrafish Forebrain. PLoS ONE. 2015;10:e0132525 pubmed publisher..Together our results suggest discrete enhancer elements control lhx5 expression in different regions of the forebrain. ..
- Kurrasch D, Nevin L, Wong J, Baier H, Ingraham H. Neuroendocrine transcriptional programs adapt dynamically to the supply and demand for neuropeptides as revealed in NSF mutant zebrafish. Neural Dev. 2009;4:22 pubmed publisher..Based on our collective findings, we speculate that neuroendocrine transcriptional programs adapt dynamically to both the supply and demand for neuropeptides to ensure adequate homeostatic responses. ..
- Porreca I, De Felice E, Fagman H, Di Lauro R, Sordino P. Zebrafish bcl2l is a survival factor in thyroid development. Dev Biol. 2012;366:142-52 pubmed publisher..This is the first demonstration of an active mechanism to ensure survival of the thyroid primordium during morphogenesis. ..
- Danesin C, Peres J, Johansson M, Snowden V, Cording A, Papalopulu N, et al. Integration of telencephalic Wnt and hedgehog signaling center activities by Foxg1. Dev Cell. 2009;16:576-87 pubmed publisher..Altogether, these findings identify a key direct target of Foxg1, and uncover a simple molecular mechanism by which Foxg1 integrates two opposing signaling centers. ..
- Fontaine R, Affaticati P, Bureau C, Colin I, Demarque M, Dufour S, et al. Dopaminergic Neurons Controlling Anterior Pituitary Functions: Anatomy and Ontogenesis in Zebrafish. Endocrinology. 2015;156:2934-48 pubmed publisher..This study offers some insights into the regional identity of the preoptic area and provides the first bases for future functional genetic studies on the development of DA neurons controlling anterior pituitary functions. ..
- MacDonald R, Pollack J, Debiais Thibaud M, Heude E, Talbot J, Ekker M. The ascl1a and dlx genes have a regulatory role in the development of GABAergic interneurons in the zebrafish diencephalon. Dev Biol. 2013;381:276-85 pubmed publisher..This pathway is conserved in the diencephalon, but has diverged between mammals and teleosts in the telencephalon. ..
- Campinho M, Power D. Waterborne exposure of zebrafish embryos to micromole concentrations of ioxynil and diethylstilbestrol disrupts thyrocyte development. Aquat Toxicol. 2013;140-141:279-87 pubmed publisher..1 ?M). Collectively the data indicate that IOX and DES alter thyroid development in zebrafish and chemicals that alter heart development and function can have an indirect endocrine disrupting action on the thyroid in teleosts. ..
- Barth K, Kishimoto Y, Rohr K, Seydler C, Schulte Merker S, Wilson S. Bmp activity establishes a gradient of positional information throughout the entire neural plate. Development. 1999;126:4977-87 pubmed..These results are consistent with there being a gradient of Bmp-dependent positional information extending throughout the entire neural and non-neural ectoderm. ..
- Tu W, Xu C, Jin Y, Lu B, Lin C, Wu Y, et al. Permethrin is a potential thyroid-disrupting chemical: In vivo and in silico envidence. Aquat Toxicol. 2016;175:39-46 pubmed publisher..Both in vivo and in silico studies clearly disclosed that PM potentially disrupts the thyroid endocrine system in fish. This study provides a rapid and cost-effective approach for identifying THDCs and the underlying mechanisms. ..
- Kim S, Sohn J, Ha S, Kang H, Yim U, Shim W, et al. Thyroid Hormone Disruption by Water-Accommodated Fractions of Crude Oil and Sediments Affected by the Hebei Spirit Oil Spill in Zebrafish and GH3 Cells. Environ Sci Technol. 2016;50:5972-80 pubmed publisher..Sediment samples also showed thyroid disrupting potentials in the GH3 cell, even several years after the oil spill. Long-term ecosystem consequences of thyroid hormone disruption due to oil spill deserve further investigation. ..
- Gongal P, Waskiewicz A. Zebrafish model of holoprosencephaly demonstrates a key role for TGIF in regulating retinoic acid metabolism. Hum Mol Genet. 2008;17:525-38 pubmed..The consequences of abnormal RA levels for forebrain patterning are profound, and imply that in human patients with TGIF deficiencies, increased forebrain RA levels contribute to the development of HPE. ..
- Wendl T, Adzic D, Schoenebeck J, Scholpp S, Brand M, Yelon D, et al. Early developmental specification of the thyroid gland depends on han-expressing surrounding tissue and on FGF signals. Development. 2007;134:2871-9 pubmed..FGF-soaked beads can restore thyroid development in han mutants, showing that FGFs act downstream of or in parallel to han. These data suggest that loss of FGF-expressing tissue in han mutants is responsible for the thyroid defects. ..
- Manoli M, Driever W. nkx2.1 and nkx2.4 genes function partially redundant during development of the zebrafish hypothalamus, preoptic region, and pallidum. Front Neuroanat. 2014;8:145 pubmed publisher..1 is specifically involved in the development of rostral ventral forebrain including the pallidum and preoptic regions, whereas nkx2.4a and nkx2.4b control the intermediate and caudal hypothalamus. ..
- Opitz R, Hitz M, Vandernoot I, Trubiroha A, Abu Khudir R, Samuels M, et al. Functional zebrafish studies based on human genotyping point to netrin-1 as a link between aberrant cardiovascular development and thyroid dysgenesis. Endocrinology. 2015;156:377-88 pubmed publisher..Hence, careful phenotyping of patients combined with molecular and functional studies in zebrafish identify Netrin-1 as a potential shared genetic factor for cardiac and thyroid congenital defects. ..
- Pappalardo A, Porreca I, Caputi L, De Felice E, Schulte Merker S, Zannini M, et al. Thyroid development in zebrafish lacking Taz. Mech Dev. 2015;138 Pt 3:268-78 pubmed publisher..These findings indicate that the zebrafish Taz protein is needed for the normal differentiation of the thyroid and are the first to suggest that Taz confers growth advantage to the endocrine gland. ..
- Poon K, Richardson M, Korzh V. Expression of zebrafish nos2b surrounds oral cavity. Dev Dyn. 2008;237:1662-7 pubmed publisher..Thus, the analysis of expression pattern of nos2b reveals complex morphogenetic movements resulting in its expression surrounding the oral cavity. ..
- Liang X, Li J, Martyniuk C, Wang J, Mao Y, Lu H, et al. Benzotriazole ultraviolet stabilizers alter the expression of the thyroid hormone pathway in zebrafish (Danio rerio) embryos. Chemosphere. 2017;182:22-30 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our results indicate that BUVSs can potentially impact the thyroid system, and that this is dependent upon the type or structure of BUVSs. ..
- Jeong J, Einhorn Z, Mathur P, Chen L, Lee S, Kawakami K, et al. Patterning the zebrafish diencephalon by the conserved zinc-finger protein Fezl. Development. 2007;134:127-36 pubmed..Our findings reveal that Fezl is crucial for establishing regional subdivisions within the diencephalon and may also play a role in the development of the telencephalon and hypothalamus. ..
- Lee J, Wu S, Goering L, Dorsky R. Canonical Wnt signaling through Lef1 is required for hypothalamic neurogenesis. Development. 2006;133:4451-61 pubmed..The conserved presence of this pathway in other vertebrates suggests a common mechanism for regulating hypothalamic neurogenesis. ..
- Cass A, Servetnick M, McCune A. Expression of a lung developmental cassette in the adult and developing zebrafish swimbladder. Evol Dev. 2013;15:119-32 pubmed publisher..Any conserved gene product interactions may comprise a character identity network (ChIN) for the osteichthyan AO. ..
- Nakada C, Iida A, Tabata Y, Watanabe S. Forkhead transcription factor foxe1 regulates chondrogenesis in zebrafish. J Exp Zool B Mol Dev Evol. 2009;312:827-40 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, the roles reported for FOXE1 in mammalian thyroid development may have been acquired during evolution. ..
- Usenko C, Hopkins D, Trumble S, Bruce E. Hydroxylated PBDEs induce developmental arrest in zebrafish. Toxicol Appl Pharmacol. 2012;262:43-51 pubmed publisher..This study suggests that hydroxylated PBDEs disrupt development, and may induce oxidative stress and potentially disrupt the cholinergic system and thyroid hormone homeostasis. ..
- Chen Q, Yu L, Yang L, Zhou B. Bioconcentration and metabolism of decabromodiphenyl ether (BDE-209) result in thyroid endocrine disruption in zebrafish larvae. Aquat Toxicol. 2012;110-111:141-8 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that the hypothalamic-pituitary-thyroid axis can be evaluated to determine thyroid endocrine disruption by BDE-209 in developing zebrafish larvae. ..
- Hogan B, Hunter M, Oates A, Crowhurst M, Hall N, Heath J, et al. Zebrafish gcm2 is required for gill filament budding from pharyngeal ectoderm. Dev Biol. 2004;276:508-22 pubmed..This study identifies yet another role for a GCM gene in embryonic development and indicates a role for gcm2 during the evolution of divergent pharyngeal morphologies. ..
- Stigloher C, Ninkovic J, Laplante M, Geling A, Tannhäuser B, Topp S, et al. Segregation of telencephalic and eye-field identities inside the zebrafish forebrain territory is controlled by Rx3. Development. 2006;133:2925-35 pubmed..These results suggest that the process segregating the telencephalic and eye fields is isolated from diencephalic patterning, and is mediated by Rx3. ..
- Kai M, Heisenberg C, Tada M. Sphingosine-1-phosphate receptors regulate individual cell behaviours underlying the directed migration of prechordal plate progenitor cells during zebrafish gastrulation. Development. 2008;135:3043-51 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that the net migration of prechordal plate progenitors is determined by different parameters, including motility, persistence and coherence. ..
- Li X, He J, Hu W, Yin Z. The essential role of endogenous ghrelin in growth hormone expression during zebrafish adenohypophysis development. Endocrinology. 2009;150:2767-74 pubmed publisher..Our research here has demonstrated that zebrafish is a unique model for functional studies of endogenous ghrelin, especially during embryonic development. ..
- Schafer M, Kinzel D, Neuner C, Schartl M, Volff J, Winkler C. Hedgehog and retinoid signalling confines nkx2.2b expression to the lateral floor plate of the zebrafish trunk. Mech Dev. 2005;122:43-56 pubmed..g. tal2 or foxa2, nkx2.2b is exclusively expressed in the LFP. Thus, it represents a unique tool to analyse the mechanisms of ventral neural tube patterning in zebrafish. ..
- Opitz R, Maquet E, Zoenen M, Dadhich R, Costagliola S. TSH receptor function is required for normal thyroid differentiation in zebrafish. Mol Endocrinol. 2011;25:1579-99 pubmed publisher..A comparison of our results with phenotypes observed in mouse models of defective TSHR and cAMP signaling highlights the value of zebrafish as a model to enhance the understanding of functional differentiation in the vertebrate thyroid. ..
- Mathieu J, Barth A, Rosa F, Wilson S, Peyrieras N. Distinct and cooperative roles for Nodal and Hedgehog signals during hypothalamic development. Development. 2002;129:3055-65 pubmed..Finally we show that it is the prechordal plate and not the head endoderm that provides the early signals essential for establishment of the hypothalamus. ..
- Zhao X, Wang S, Li D, You H, Ren X. Effects of perchlorate on BDE-47-induced alteration thyroid hormone and gene expression of in the hypothalamus-pituitary-thyroid axis in zebrafish larvae. Environ Toxicol Pharmacol. 2013;36:1176-85 pubmed publisher..These results help to elucidate the complicated chemical interactions and the molecular mechanism of action of these two TH disruptors. ..
- Kim S, Jung J, Lee I, Jung D, Youn H, Choi K. Thyroid disruption by triphenyl phosphate, an organophosphate flame retardant, in zebrafish (Danio rerio) embryos/larvae, and in GH3 and FRTL-5 cell lines. Aquat Toxicol. 2015;160:188-96 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our observations show that TPP could increase the thyroid hormone concentrations in the early life stages of zebrafish by disrupting the central regulation and hormone synthesis pathways. ..
- Porazzi P, Marelli F, Benato F, de Filippis T, Calebiro D, Argenton F, et al. Disruptions of global and JAGGED1-mediated notch signaling affect thyroid morphogenesis in the zebrafish. Endocrinology. 2012;153:5645-58 pubmed publisher..Thus, genetic alterations affecting the Notch pathway may confer susceptibility for thyroid dysgenesis. ..
- Eaton J, Holmqvist B, Glasgow E. Ontogeny of vasotocin-expressing cells in zebrafish: selective requirement for the transcriptional regulators orthopedia and single-minded 1 in the preoptic area. Dev Dyn. 2008;237:995-1005 pubmed publisher..In contrast, otp and sim1 are not required for avt expression in the ventral hypothalamus. Thus, the development of these two avt expression domains is influenced by separate gene regulatory networks. ..
- Alt B, Reibe S, Feitosa N, Elsalini O, Wendl T, Rohr K. Analysis of origin and growth of the thyroid gland in zebrafish. Dev Dyn. 2006;235:1872-83 pubmed..Mosaic analysis suggests that the first thyroid follicle differentiating at 55 hours postfertilization corresponds later to the most anterior follicle and that new follicles are added caudally. ..
- Quintana Urzainqui I, Sueiro C, Carrera I, Ferreiro Galve S, Santos Durán G, Pose Méndez S, et al. Contributions of developmental studies in the dogfish Scyliorhinus canicula to the brain anatomy of elasmobranchs: insights on the basal ganglia. Brain Behav Evol. 2012;80:127-41 pubmed publisher..Our observations may shed light on postulate equivalences of regions and nuclei among elasmobranchs and support homologies with other vertebrates. ..
- Kapsimali M, Caneparo L, Houart C, Wilson S. Inhibition of Wnt/Axin/beta-catenin pathway activity promotes ventral CNS midline tissue to adopt hypothalamic rather than floorplate identity. Development. 2004;131:5923-33 pubmed
- Rouleau M, Saxena V, Rodrigue A, Paquet E, Gagnon A, Hendzel M, et al. A key role for poly(ADP-ribose) polymerase 3 in ectodermal specification and neural crest development. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e15834 pubmed publisher..Our findings demonstrate that Parp3 is crucial in the early stages of zebrafish development, possibly by exerting its transcriptional regulatory functions as early as during the specification of the neural plate border. ..
- Affaticati P, Yamamoto K, Rizzi B, Bureau C, PeyriÃ©ras N, Pasqualini C, et al. Identification of the optic recess region as a morphogenetic entity in the zebrafish forebrain. Sci Rep. 2015;5:8738 pubmed publisher..The ORR in teleosts could correspond to "telencephalic stalk area" and "alar hypothalamus" in tetrapods, resolving current inconsistencies in the comparison of basal forebrain among vertebrates. ..
- Tu W, Xu C, Lu B, Lin C, Wu Y, Liu W. Acute exposure to synthetic pyrethroids causes bioconcentration and disruption of the hypothalamus-pituitary-thyroid axis in zebrafish embryos. Sci Total Environ. 2016;542:876-85 pubmed publisher..In vitro and in silico experiments disclosed that during the early stages of zebrafish development, BF and Î»-CH have the potential to disrupt thyroid endocrine system. ..
- McCollum C, Amin S, Pauerstein P, Lane M. A zebrafish LMO4 ortholog limits the size of the forebrain and eyes through negative regulation of six3b and rx3. Dev Biol. 2007;309:373-85 pubmed..We propose that lmo4b has an essential role in forebrain development as a modulator of six3 and rx3 expression, and thus indirectly influences neural cell fate commitment, cell proliferation and tissue growth in the anterior CNS. ..
- Yoshizawa A, Nakahara Y, Izawa T, Ishitani T, Tsutsumi M, Kuroiwa A, et al. Zebrafish Dmrta2 regulates neurogenesis in the telencephalon. Genes Cells. 2011;16:1097-109 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that Dmrta2 plays important roles in the specification of the posterior-dorsal telencephalic cell fate during somitogenesis. ..