Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: neurog1
Description: neurogenin 1
Alias: NGN-1, Zath4c, cb260, chunp6899, neurod3, ngn1, ngr1, zNgn1, neurogenin-1, neurogenic differentiation 3, neurogenic differentiation factor 3, neurogenin-related protein 1
- Gerety S, Wilkinson D. Morpholino artifacts provide pitfalls and reveal a novel role for pro-apoptotic genes in hindbrain boundary development. Dev Biol. 2011;350:279-89 pubmed publisher..In light of these findings, we discuss the precautions needed in performing morpholino knockdowns and in interpreting the data derived from their use. ..
- Geling A, Itoh M, Tallafuss A, Chapouton P, Tannhäuser B, Kuwada J, et al. bHLH transcription factor Her5 links patterning to regional inhibition of neurogenesis at the midbrain-hindbrain boundary. Development. 2003;130:1591-604 pubmed..Her5 appears as a partially redundant component of this inhibitory process that helps translate early axial patterning information into a distinct spatiotemporal pattern of neurogenesis and cell proliferation within the MH domain. ..
- Scholpp S, Delogu A, Gilthorpe J, Peukert D, Schindler S, Lumsden A. Her6 regulates the neurogenetic gradient and neuronal identity in the thalamus. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2009;106:19895-900 pubmed publisher..Thus, the presence or absence of a single upstream regulator of proneural gene expression, Her6, leads to the establishment of discrete neuronal domains in the thalamus. ..
- Peukert D, Weber S, Lumsden A, Scholpp S. Lhx2 and Lhx9 determine neuronal differentiation and compartition in the caudal forebrain by regulating Wnt signaling. PLoS Biol. 2011;9:e1001218 pubmed publisher..We therefore suggest that after initial neural tube patterning, neurogenesis within a brain compartment influences the integrity of the neuronal progenitor pool and border formation of a neuromeric compartment. ..
- Liedtke D, Winkler C. Midkine-b regulates cell specification at the neural plate border in zebrafish. Dev Dyn. 2008;237:62-74 pubmed..Our results imply that Mdkb is required for the earliest steps of cell specification at the neural plate border in zebrafish...
- Millimaki B, Sweet E, Dhason M, Riley B. Zebrafish atoh1 genes: classic proneural activity in the inner ear and regulation by Fgf and Notch. Development. 2007;134:295-305 pubmed..A model is presented in which zebrafish atoh1 genes operate in a complex network leading to hair cell development. ..
- Sagasti A, Guido M, Raible D, Schier A. Repulsive interactions shape the morphologies and functional arrangement of zebrafish peripheral sensory arbors. Curr Biol. 2005;15:804-14 pubmed..Thus, a combination of undirected growth and mutual repulsion results in the formation of a functionally organized system of peripheral sensory arbors. ..
- Ando H, Kobayashi M, Tsubokawa T, Uyemura K, Furuta T, Okamoto H. Lhx2 mediates the activity of Six3 in zebrafish forebrain growth. Dev Biol. 2005;287:456-68 pubmed..Our results suggest that Lhx2 may mediate an alternative or parallel pathway for control of cellular proliferation in the developing forebrain via Six3. ..
- Scholpp S, Wolf O, Brand M, Lumsden A. Hedgehog signalling from the zona limitans intrathalamica orchestrates patterning of the zebrafish diencephalon. Development. 2006;133:855-64 pubmed..Furthermore, acquisition of correct prethalamic and thalamic gene expression is dependent on direct Hh signalling. We conclude that proper maturation of the diencephalon requires ZLI-derived Hh signalling. ..
- Nikaido M, Doi K, Shimizu T, Hibi M, Kikuchi Y, Yamasu K. Initial specification of the epibranchial placode in zebrafish embryos depends on the fibroblast growth factor signal. Dev Dyn. 2007;236:564-71 pubmed..Together, these data provide evidence for the essential role of FGF signals in the development of the epibranchial placodes. ..
- Lee J, Wu S, Goering L, Dorsky R. Canonical Wnt signaling through Lef1 is required for hypothalamic neurogenesis. Development. 2006;133:4451-61 pubmed..The conserved presence of this pathway in other vertebrates suggests a common mechanism for regulating hypothalamic neurogenesis. ..
- Takke C, Dornseifer P, v Weizsäcker E, Campos Ortega J. her4, a zebrafish homologue of the Drosophila neurogenic gene E(spl), is a target of NOTCH signalling. Development. 1999;126:1811-21 pubmed..These results suggest that her4 acts as a target of notch-mediated signals that regulate primary neurogenesis. ..
- Pyati U, Webb A, Kimelman D. Transgenic zebrafish reveal stage-specific roles for Bmp signaling in ventral and posterior mesoderm development. Development. 2005;132:2333-43 pubmed..We conclude that the role of Bmp signaling in the ventral and posterior mesoderm changes as gastrulation proceeds. ..
- Amoyel M, Cheng Y, Jiang Y, Wilkinson D. Wnt1 regulates neurogenesis and mediates lateral inhibition of boundary cell specification in the zebrafish hindbrain. Development. 2005;132:775-85 pubmed..The network of genes underlying the regulation of neurogenesis and lateral inhibition of boundary cell formation by Wnt1 has a striking similarity to mechanisms at the dorsoventral boundary in the Drosophila wing imaginal disc. ..
- Andermann P, Ungos J, Raible D. Neurogenin1 defines zebrafish cranial sensory ganglia precursors. Dev Biol. 2002;251:45-58 pubmed..A single neurogenin gene, neurogenin1 (ngn1), is required for the development of all zebrafish cranial ganglia, which contrasts with other described ..
- Korzh V, Sleptsova I, Liao J, He J, Gong Z. Expression of zebrafish bHLH genes ngn1 and nrd defines distinct stages of neural differentiation. Dev Dyn. 1998;213:92-104 pubmedTwo zebrafish bHLH genes, neurogenin-related gene I (ngn1) and neuroD (nrd), have been isolated...
- Vemaraju S, Kantarci H, Padanad M, Riley B. A spatial and temporal gradient of Fgf differentially regulates distinct stages of neural development in the zebrafish inner ear. PLoS Genet. 2012;8:e1003068 pubmed publisher..Thus Fgf signaling renders SAG development self-regulating, ensuring steady production of an appropriate number of neurons as the larva grows...
- Sapede D, Dyballa S, Pujades C. Cell lineage analysis reveals three different progenitor pools for neurosensory elements in the otic vesicle. J Neurosci. 2012;32:16424-34 pubmed publisher..Combined results from single-cell lineage and functional studies on neurog1 and neuroD1 further demonstrate the following: (1) in the anterior region of the ear, neuronal and sensory ..
- Lecaudey V, Ulloa E, Anselme I, Stedman A, Schneider Maunoury S, Pujades C. Role of the hindbrain in patterning the otic vesicle: a study of the zebrafish vhnf1 mutant. Dev Biol. 2007;303:134-43 pubmed..They suggest that, despite the evolution of inner ear structure and function, some of the mechanisms underlying the regionalisation of the otic vesicle in fish and amniotes have been conserved. ..
- Cunliffe V. Histone deacetylase 1 is required to repress Notch target gene expression during zebrafish neurogenesis and to maintain the production of motoneurones in response to hedgehog signalling. Development. 2004;131:2983-95 pubmed..Thus, in the zebrafish embryo, hdac1 is an essential component of the transcriptional silencing machinery that supports the formation and subsequent differentiation of neuronal precursors. ..
- Lee S, Shen E, Fiser A, Sali A, Guo S. The zebrafish forkhead transcription factor Foxi1 specifies epibranchial placode-derived sensory neurons. Development. 2003;130:2669-79 pubmed..Taken together, these findings suggest that Foxi1 is an important determination factor for epibranchial placodal progenitor cells to acquire both neuronal fate and subtype visceral sensory identity. ..
- Thisse C, Thisse B. High-resolution in situ hybridization to whole-mount zebrafish embryos. Nat Protoc. 2008;3:59-69 pubmed publisher..The whole procedure takes only 3 days and, because ISH conditions are the same for each probe tested, allows high throughput analysis of zebrafish gene expression during embryogenesis. ..
- Kim H, Kim E, Yoo K, Lee M, Choi J, Park H, et al. Isolation and expression analysis of Alzheimer's disease-related gene xb51 in zebrafish. Dev Dyn. 2008;237:3921-6 pubmed publisher..xb51 in the dorsal telencephalon was defined by several molecular markers: emx1, dlx2, lim1, islet1, neurod4/zath3, ngn1, her4, and elavl3/huC...
- Zhang C, Li Q, Lim C, Qiu X, Jiang Y. The characterization of zebrafish antimorphic mib alleles reveals that Mib and Mind bomb-2 (Mib2) function redundantly. Dev Biol. 2007;305:14-27 pubmed..It was also shown that Notch signaling negatively regulates mib expression in a Su(H)-dependent manner, forming a negative feedback loop in modulating Notch activation. ..
- Sapede D, Pujades C. Hedgehog signaling governs the development of otic sensory epithelium and its associated innervation in zebrafish. J Neurosci. 2010;30:3612-23 pubmed publisher..These results lead to a model in which Hh orients functionally the development of inner ear towards an auditory fate in all vertebrate species. ..
- Radosevic M, Robert Moreno A, Coolen M, Bally Cuif L, Alsina B. Her9 represses neurogenic fate downstream of Tbx1 and retinoic acid signaling in the inner ear. Development. 2011;138:397-408 pubmed publisher..These findings permit modeling of the complex genetic cascade that underlies neural patterning of the otic vesicle. ..
- Hans S, Irmscher A, Brand M. Zebrafish Foxi1 provides a neuronal ground state during inner ear induction preceding the Dlx3b/4b-regulated sensory lineage. Development. 2013;140:1936-45 pubmed publisher..Thus, in addition to otic fate Foxi1 provides neuronal competence during OEPD induction prior to and independently of the Dlx3b/4b-mediated sensory fate of the developing inner ear. ..
- Colombo A, Reig G, Mione M, Concha M. Zebrafish BarH-like genes define discrete neural domains in the early embryo. Gene Expr Patterns. 2006;6:347-52 pubmed
- Rai K, Chidester S, Zavala C, Manos E, James S, Karpf A, et al. Dnmt2 functions in the cytoplasm to promote liver, brain, and retina development in zebrafish. Genes Dev. 2007;21:261-6 pubmed..Furthermore, zebrafish Dnmt2 methylates an RNA species of approximately 80 bases, consistent with tRNA methylation. Thus, Dnmt2 promotes zebrafish development, likely through cytoplasmic RNA methylation. ..
- Yang Y, Thorpe C. BMP and non-canonical Wnt signaling are required for inhibition of secondary tail formation in zebrafish. Development. 2011;138:2601-11 pubmed publisher..We propose a model in which BMP and the non-canonical Wnt pathway regulate tail morphogenesis by controlling cell migration and cell adhesion within the tailbud...
- Andersen E, Asuri N, Halloran M. In vivo imaging of cell behaviors and F-actin reveals LIM-HD transcription factor regulation of peripheral versus central sensory axon development. Neural Dev. 2011;6:27 pubmed publisher..We identify specific motile cell behaviors affected by LIM-HD transcription factor activity and reveal how transcription factors differentially control the formation and growth of two axons from the same neuron. ..
- Hans S, Scheer N, Riedl I, v Weizsäcker E, Blader P, Campos Ortega J. her3, a zebrafish member of the hairy-E(spl) family, is repressed by Notch signalling. Development. 2004;131:2957-69 pubmed..In all territories, the her3 transcription domain encompasses regions in which neurogenin 1 (neurog1) is not transcribed, suggesting regulatory interactions between the two genes...
- Ryu S, Mahler J, Acampora D, Holzschuh J, Erhardt S, Omodei D, et al. Orthopedia homeodomain protein is essential for diencephalic dopaminergic neuron development. Curr Biol. 2007;17:873-80 pubmed..Thus, Otp is one of the few known transcription factors that can determine aspects of the dopaminergic phenotype and the first known factor to control the development of the diencephalospinal dopaminergic system. ..
- Yeo S, Kim M, Kim H, Huh T, Chitnis A. Fluorescent protein expression driven by her4 regulatory elements reveals the spatiotemporal pattern of Notch signaling in the nervous system of zebrafish embryos. Dev Biol. 2007;301:555-67 pubmed..The establishment of a reporter line with Notch-Su(H)-dependent fluorescent gene expression provides a tool to explore the complex role of Notch signaling in the development of vertebrate nervous system. ..
- Chapouton P, Adolf B, Leucht C, Tannhäuser B, Ryu S, Driever W, et al. her5 expression reveals a pool of neural stem cells in the adult zebrafish midbrain. Development. 2006;133:4293-303 pubmed..In addition, the first transcription factor characteristic of this cell population, Her5, points to the E(Spl) as a promising family of candidate adult neural stem cell regulators. ..
- Kaji T, Artinger K. dlx3b and dlx4b function in the development of Rohon-Beard sensory neurons and trigeminal placode in the zebrafish neurula. Dev Biol. 2004;276:523-40 pubmed..These data suggest that the contribution of dlx3b and dlx4b to neural plate border formation is partially non-cell-autonomous acting via BMP activity. ..
- Sun S, Dee C, Tripathi V, Rengifo A, Hirst C, Scotting P. Epibranchial and otic placodes are induced by a common Fgf signal, but their subsequent development is independent. Dev Biol. 2007;303:675-86 pubmed
- Nechiporuk A, Linbo T, Raible D. Endoderm-derived Fgf3 is necessary and sufficient for inducing neurogenesis in the epibranchial placodes in zebrafish. Development. 2005;132:3717-30 pubmed..Based on these findings, we propose a model for epibranchial placode development in which Fgf3 is a major endodermal determinant required for epibranchial placode neurogenesis. ..
- Azuma M, Toyama R, Laver E, Dawid I. Perturbation of rRNA synthesis in the bap28 mutation leads to apoptosis mediated by p53 in the zebrafish central nervous system. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:13309-16 pubmed..The bap28 mutation provides a genetic approach to study the role of ribosome biogenesis in the development of a vertebrate embryo. ..
- Bae Y, Shimizu T, Hibi M. Patterning of proneuronal and inter-proneuronal domains by hairy- and enhancer of split-related genes in zebrafish neuroectoderm. Development. 2005;132:1375-85 pubmed..These data indicate that her3 and her9 function as prepattern genes that link the positional dorsoventral polarity information in the posterior neuroectoderm to the spatial regulation of neurogenesis. ..
- Geling A, Plessy C, Rastegar S, Strahle U, Bally Cuif L. Her5 acts as a prepattern factor that blocks neurogenin1 and coe2 expression upstream of Notch to inhibit neurogenesis at the midbrain-hindbrain boundary. Development. 2004;131:1993-2006 pubmed..This involves selective suppression of both neurogenin1 (ngn1) and coe2 mRNA expression in a process that is independent of Notch signalling, and where inhibition of either ngn1 ..
- Mueller T, Vernier P, Wullimann M. A phylotypic stage in vertebrate brain development: GABA cell patterns in zebrafish compared with mouse. J Comp Neurol. 2006;494:620-34 pubmed
- Ninkovic J, Tallafuss A, Leucht C, Topczewski J, Tannhäuser B, Solnica Krezel L, et al. Inhibition of neurogenesis at the zebrafish midbrain-hindbrain boundary by the combined and dose-dependent activity of a new hairy/E(spl) gene pair. Development. 2005;132:75-88 pubmed..We propose a molecular mechanism for this process where the global 'Him+Her5' activity inhibits ngn1 expression in a dose-dependent manner and through different sensitivity thresholds along the medio-lateral axis of ..
- Diks S, Bink R, van de Water S, Joore J, van Rooijen C, Verbeek F, et al. The novel gene asb11: a regulator of the size of the neural progenitor compartment. J Cell Biol. 2006;174:581-92 pubmed..We conclude that d-Asb11 is a novel regulator of the neuronal progenitor compartment size by maintaining the neural precursors in the proliferating undifferentiated state possibly through the control of SoxB1 transcription factors. ..
- Cau E, Quillien A, Blader P. Notch resolves mixed neural identities in the zebrafish epiphysis. Development. 2008;135:2391-401 pubmed publisher..We propose a novel model in which Notch resolves mixed neural identities by repressing an undesired genetic program. ..
- Grant K, Raible D, Piotrowski T. Regulation of latent sensory hair cell precursors by glia in the zebrafish lateral line. Neuron. 2005;45:69-80 pubmed..Transplantation of wt glia into mutants rescues the appropriate temporal differentiation of interneuromast cells. Our studies reveal a role for glia in regulating sensory hair cell precursors. ..
- Campbell W, Yang H, Zetterberg H, Baulac S, Sears J, Liu T, et al. Zebrafish lacking Alzheimer presenilin enhancer 2 (Pen-2) demonstrate excessive p53-dependent apoptosis and neuronal loss. J Neurochem. 2006;96:1423-40 pubmed
- Cheng Y, Huang Y, Yeh T, Shih H, Lin C, Lin S, et al. Deltex1 is inhibited by the Notch-Hairy/E(Spl) signaling pathway and induces neuronal and glial differentiation. Neural Dev. 2015;10:28 pubmed publisher..Thus, our results provide new insights into the mediation of neural development by the Notch signaling pathway. ..
- Dyer C, Linker C, Graham A, Knight R. Specification of sensory neurons occurs through diverse developmental programs functioning in the brain and spinal cord. Dev Dyn. 2014;243:1429-39 pubmed publisher..Our work reveals fundamental differences between the development of MTN and RB neurons and suggests that these populations are non-homologous and thus have distinct developmental and, probably, evolutionary origins. ..
- Li S, Yin M, Liu S, Chen Y, Yin Y, Liu T, et al. Expression of ventral diencephalon-enriched genes in zebrafish. Dev Dyn. 2010;239:3368-79 pubmed publisher..expressed specifically in a subset of DA neurons in the ventral diencephalon, with co-expression of neurogenin1 (Ngn1). Alteration of expression levels of Id3 inhibited maturation of developing DA neurons...
- Nornes S, Newman M, Wells S, Verdile G, Martins R, Lardelli M. Independent and cooperative action of Psen2 with Psen1 in zebrafish embryos. Exp Cell Res. 2009;315:2791-801 pubmed publisher..Reduced Psen2 activity apparently reduces Notch signalling resulting in perturbed spinal neurogenin1 (neurog1) expression, neurogenesis and trunk and tail neural crest development...
- Deniziak M, Thisse C, Rederstorff M, Hindelang C, Thisse B, Lescure A. Loss of selenoprotein N function causes disruption of muscle architecture in the zebrafish embryo. Exp Cell Res. 2007;313:156-67 pubmed..Moreover, alteration of myofibrils architecture and tendon-like structure in embryo deficient for SelN function provide new insights into the pathological mechanism of SelN-related myopathy. ..
- Moussavi Nik S, Newman M, Wilson L, Ebrahimie E, Wells S, Musgrave I, et al. Alzheimer's disease-related peptide PS2V plays ancient, conserved roles in suppression of the unfolded protein response under hypoxia and stimulation of Î³-secretase activity. Hum Mol Genet. 2015;24:3662-78 pubmed publisher..Our data support a model in which chronic hypoxia in aged brains promotes excessive Notch signalling and accumulation of AÎ² that contribute to AD pathogenesis. ..
- Kim J, Kim C, Song J, Oh H, Kim C, Park J. Trimethyltin chloride inhibits neuronal cell differentiation in zebrafish embryo neurodevelopment. Neurotoxicol Teratol. 2016;54:29-35 pubmed publisher..In addition, it significantly modulated the expression patterns of Sonic hedgehog a (Shha), Neurogenin1 (Ngn1), Embryonic lethal abnormal vision like protein 3 (Elavl3), and Glial fibrillary acidic protein (Gfap)...
- Cheng R, Jia Y, Dai L, Liu C, Wang J, Li G, et al. Tris(1,3-dichloro-2-propyl) phosphate disrupts axonal growth, cholinergic system and motor behavior in early life zebrafish. Aquat Toxicol. 2017;192:7-15 pubmed publisher..GFP in transgenic (HuC-GFP) zebrafish larvae as well as decreased expression of the neural marker genes elavl3 and ngn1, inhibited the axonal growth of the secondary motoneurons and altered the expressions of axon-related genes (?1-..