Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: ndr1
Description: nodal-related 1
Alias: CHUNP6892, NDR2, Ndr-1, Znr-2, sqt, znr2, nodal-related 1, squint
- Hashimoto H, Itoh M, Yamanaka Y, Yamashita S, Shimizu T, Solnica Krezel L, et al. Zebrafish Dkk1 functions in forebrain specification and axial mesendoderm formation. Dev Biol. 2000;217:138-52 pubmed..in the dorso-anterior mesendoderm during gastrulation was prominently reduced in zebrafish mutants bozozok (boz), squint (sqt), and one-eyed pinhead (oep), which all display abnormalities in the formation and function of the Spemann ..
- Cheng S, Olale F, Bennett J, Brivanlou A, Schier A. EGF-CFC proteins are essential coreceptors for the TGF-beta signals Vg1 and GDF1. Genes Dev. 2003;17:31-6 pubmed..These results establish that multiple TGF-beta signals converge on Activin receptor/EGF-CFC complexes and suggest a more widespread requirement for coreceptors in TGF-beta signaling than anticipated previously. ..
- Gilligan P, Kumari P, Lim S, Cheong A, Chang A, Sampath K. Conservation defines functional motifs in the squint/nodal-related 1 RNA dorsal localization element. Nucleic Acids Res. 2011;39:3340-9 pubmed publisher..We previously showed that zebrafish squint/nodal-related 1 (sqt/ndr1) RNA localizes to the future dorsal side of the embryo...
- Feldman B, Concha M, Saude L, Parsons M, Adams R, Wilson S, et al. Lefty antagonism of Squint is essential for normal gastrulation. Curr Biol. 2002;12:2129-35 pubmed..The zebrafish Nodal-related ligands, Squint and Cyclops, and their antagonists, Lefty1 and Lefty2, belong to the TGFbeta-related protein superfamily, whose ..
- Bjornson C, Griffin K, Farr G, Terashima A, Himeda C, Kikuchi Y, et al. Eomesodermin is a localized maternal determinant required for endoderm induction in zebrafish. Dev Cell. 2005;9:523-33 pubmed..Direct physical interactions between Eomes, Bon, and Gata5 suggest that Eomes promotes endoderm induction in marginal blastomeres by facilitating the assembly of a transcriptional activating complex on the cas promoter. ..
- Thisse B, Wright C, Thisse C. Activin- and Nodal-related factors control antero-posterior patterning of the zebrafish embryo. Nature. 2000;403:425-8 pubmed..We propose that modulation of intercellular signalling by Antivin/Activin and Nodal-related factors provides a mechanism for the graded establishment of cell fates along the antero-posterior axis of the zebrafish embryo. ..
- Kikuchi Y, Agathon A, Alexander J, Thisse C, Waldron S, Yelon D, et al. casanova encodes a novel Sox-related protein necessary and sufficient for early endoderm formation in zebrafish. Genes Dev. 2001;15:1493-505 pubmed..Altogether, these data indicate that Cas is the principal transcriptional effector of Nodal signaling during zebrafish endoderm formation. ..
- Slagle C, Aoki T, Burdine R. Nodal-dependent mesendoderm specification requires the combinatorial activities of FoxH1 and Eomesodermin. PLoS Genet. 2011;7:e1002072 pubmed publisher..Our findings also offer novel insights into the co-evolution of the Nodal signaling pathway, the notochord specification program, and the chordate branch of the deuterostome family of animals. ..
- Rebagliati M, Toyama R, Fricke C, Haffter P, Dawid I. Zebrafish nodal-related genes are implicated in axial patterning and establishing left-right asymmetry. Dev Biol. 1998;199:261-72 pubmedNodal-related 1 (ndr1) and nodal-related 2 (ndr2) genes in zebrafish encode members of the nodal subgroup of the transforming growth factor-beta superfamily...
- Meno C, Gritsman K, Ohishi S, Ohfuji Y, Heckscher E, Mochida K, et al. Mouse Lefty2 and zebrafish antivin are feedback inhibitors of nodal signaling during vertebrate gastrulation. Mol Cell. 1999;4:287-98 pubmed..the effects of Antivin and Lefty2 can be suppressed by overexpression of the nodal-related genes cyclops and squint or the extracellular domain of ActRIIB...
- Lim S, Kumari P, Gilligan P, Quach H, Mathavan S, Sampath K. Dorsal activity of maternal squint is mediated by a non-coding function of the RNA. Development. 2012;139:2903-15 pubmed publisher..We previously showed that asymmetric localization of maternal transcripts of the conserved zebrafish TGF? factor Squint (Sqt) in 4-cell stage embryos predicts dorsal, preceding nuclear accumulation of ?-catenin...
- Ro H, Dawid I. Lnx-2b restricts gsc expression to the dorsal mesoderm by limiting Nodal and Bozozok activity. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2010;402:626-30 pubmed publisher..This report provides a novel mechanism for limiting dorsal organizer specification to a defined region of the early zebrafish embryo. ..
- Fan X, Hagos E, Xu B, Sias C, Kawakami K, Burdine R, et al. Nodal signals mediate interactions between the extra-embryonic and embryonic tissues in zebrafish. Dev Biol. 2007;310:363-78 pubmed..Although the Nodal-related protein Squint is expressed in the YSL, its role in this tissue is not known...
- Bennett J, Stickney H, Choi W, Ciruna B, Talbot W, Schier A. Maternal nodal and zebrafish embryogenesis. Nature. 2007;450:E1-2; discussion E2-4 pubmed..Gore et al. suggest that the Nodal signal Squint (Sqt) is required as a maternally provided dorsal determinant in zebrafish...
- Zhang L, Zhou H, Su Y, Sun Z, Zhang H, Zhang L, et al. Zebrafish Dpr2 inhibits mesoderm induction by promoting degradation of nodal receptors. Science. 2004;306:114-7 pubmed..Dpr2 is localized in late endosomes, binds to the TGFbeta receptors ALK5 and ALK4, and accelerates lysosomal degradation of these receptors. ..
- Kumari P, Gilligan P, Lim S, Tran L, Winkler S, Philp R, et al. An essential role for maternal control of Nodal signaling. elife. 2013;2:e00683 pubmed publisher..Maternal transcripts of the zebrafish Nodal factor, Squint (Sqt), are localized to future embryonic dorsal...
- Shimizu T, Yamanaka Y, Ryu S, Hashimoto H, Yabe T, Hirata T, et al. Cooperative roles of Bozozok/Dharma and Nodal-related proteins in the formation of the dorsal organizer in zebrafish. Mech Dev. 2000;91:293-303 pubmed..Zebrafish bozozok/dharma (boz) and squint (sqt), which encode a homeodomain protein and a Nodal-related protein, respectively, are required for the ..
- Dougan S, Warga R, Kane D, Schier A, Talbot W. The role of the zebrafish nodal-related genes squint and cyclops in patterning of mesendoderm. Development. 2003;130:1837-51 pubmed..and animal-vegetal patterning roles for Nodal signals by using mutations in two zebrafish nodal-related genes, squint and cyclops, to manipulate genetically the levels and timing of Nodal activity...
- Rebagliati M, Toyama R, Haffter P, Dawid I. cyclops encodes a nodal-related factor involved in midline signaling. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1998;95:9932-7 pubmed..Here, we report that the cyclops locus encodes the nodal-related protein Ndr2, a member of the transforming growth factor type beta superfamily of factors...
- Poulain M, Lepage T. Mezzo, a paired-like homeobox protein is an immediate target of Nodal signalling and regulates endoderm specification in zebrafish. Development. 2002;129:4901-14 pubmed..They place mezzo as a new transcription factor with unique properties acting in parallel with bonnie and clyde, faust and casanova in the Nodal signalling pathway that controls specification of mesoderm and endoderm in zebrafish. ..
- Kelly C, Chin A, Leatherman J, Kozlowski D, Weinberg E. Maternally controlled (beta)-catenin-mediated signaling is required for organizer formation in the zebrafish. Development. 2000;127:3899-911 pubmed..in the dorsal yolk syncytial layer, which also fails to express bozozok/dharma/nieuwkoid and znr2/ndr1/squint. At the onset of gastrulation, deficiencies in expression of dorsal markers and expansion of expression of markers ..
- Hong S, Jang M, Brown J, McBride A, Feldman B. Embryonic mesoderm and endoderm induction requires the actions of non-embryonic Nodal-related ligands and Mxtx2. Development. 2011;138:787-95 pubmed publisher..an extraembryonic domain, are required for mesoderm and endoderm induction, and YSL expression of nodal-related 1 (ndr1) and ndr2 accounts for a portion of this activity...
- Pogoda H, Solnica Krezel L, Driever W, Meyer D. The zebrafish forkhead transcription factor FoxH1/Fast1 is a modulator of nodal signaling required for organizer formation. Curr Biol. 2000;10:1041-9 pubmed..In zebrafish, FoxH1 is not essential to induce Nodal-dependent cell fates, but its function is central in modulating and enhancing morphogenetic Nodal signals. ..
- Chen S, Kimelman D. The role of the yolk syncytial layer in germ layer patterning in zebrafish. Development. 2000;127:4681-9 pubmed..The characterization of genes encoding the nodal-related factor, Squint, and homeodomain protein, Bozozok, both of which are expressed in the YSL, suggested that the YSL has a role in ..
- Gritsman K, Zhang J, Cheng S, Heckscher E, Talbot W, Schier A. The EGF-CFC protein one-eyed pinhead is essential for nodal signaling. Cell. 1999;97:121-32 pubmed..An identical phenotype is displayed by double mutants for the nodal-related genes squint and cyclops...
- Jones C, Kuehn M, Hogan B, Smith J, Wright C. Nodal-related signals induce axial mesoderm and dorsalize mesoderm during gastrulation. Development. 1995;121:3651-62 pubmed
- Bellipanni G, Varga M, Maegawa S, Imai Y, Kelly C, Myers A, et al. Essential and opposing roles of zebrafish beta-catenins in the formation of dorsal axial structures and neurectoderm. Development. 2006;133:1299-309 pubmed..We propose that the early, dorsal-promoting function of beta-catenin-2 is essential to counteract a later, dorsal- and neurectoderm-repressing function that is shared by both beta-catenin genes...
- Chen Y, Schier A. Lefty proteins are long-range inhibitors of squint-mediated nodal signaling. Curr Biol. 2002;12:2124-8 pubmed..Nodal signals promote mesendoderm induction in vertebrates, and Lefty proteins antagonize it. In zebrafish, Squint functions as a long-range Nodal signal during mesoderm induction...
- Nojima H, Shimizu T, Kim C, Yabe T, Bae Y, Muraoka O, et al. Genetic evidence for involvement of maternally derived Wnt canonical signaling in dorsal determination in zebrafish. Mech Dev. 2004;121:371-86 pubmed..The tkk locus was mapped to chromosome 16. These data provide genetic evidence that the maternally derived canonical Wnt pathway upstream of beta-catenin is involved in dorsal axis formation in zebrafish. ..
- Belting H, Wendik B, Lunde K, Leichsenring M, Mössner R, Driever W, et al. Pou5f1 contributes to dorsoventral patterning by positive regulation of vox and modulation of fgf8a expression. Dev Biol. 2011;356:323-36 pubmed publisher..Our data reveals a set of direct and indirect interactions of Pou5f1 with the BMP dorsoventral patterning network that serve to fine-tune dorsoventral patterning mechanisms and coordinate patterning with developmental timing. ..
- Gritsman K, Talbot W, Schier A. Nodal signaling patterns the organizer. Development. 2000;127:921-32 pubmed..The nodal-related genes cyclops and squint are expressed at the blastoderm margin and are required for prechordal plate and notochord formation...
- Du S, Draper B, Mione M, Moens C, Bruce A. Differential regulation of epiboly initiation and progression by zebrafish Eomesodermin A. Dev Biol. 2012;362:11-23 pubmed publisher..We also show that Eomesa is required for normal expression of the endoderm markers sox32, bon and og9x; however it is not essential for endoderm formation. ..
- Pei W, Feldman B. Identification of common and unique modifiers of zebrafish midline bifurcation and cyclopia. Dev Biol. 2009;326:201-11 pubmed publisherLoss of the zebrafish Nodal-related protein Squint causes a spectrum of phenotypes including cyclopia and midline bifurcations (MB). Here we examine MBs and their relation to cyclopia in maternal-zygotic squint (MZsqt) mutants...
- Bruce A, Howley C, Zhou Y, Vickers S, Silver L, King M, et al. The maternally expressed zebrafish T-box gene eomesodermin regulates organizer formation. Development. 2003;130:5503-17 pubmed..In addition, a dominant-negative construct and antisense morpholino oligonucleotides led to a reduction in gsc and flh expression. Together these data indicate that eomes plays a role in specifying the organizer. ..
- Solnica Krezel L. Vertebrate development: taming the nodal waves. Curr Biol. 2003;13:R7-9 pubmed
- Shih Y, Kuo C, Hirst C, Dee C, Liu Y, Laghari Z, et al. SoxB1 transcription factors restrict organizer gene expression by repressing multiple events downstream of Wnt signalling. Development. 2010;137:2671-81 pubmed publisher..Although beta-catenin, Bozozok and Squint are known to play major roles in establishing the dorsal organizer in vertebrate embryos, overexpression of any of ..
- Jazwinska A, Badakov R, Keating M. Activin-betaA signaling is required for zebrafish fin regeneration. Curr Biol. 2007;17:1390-5 pubmed..These findings reveal a role of Activin-betaA signaling in the tissue repair after injury and subsequent outgrowth formation during epigenetic regeneration of the vertebrate appendage. ..
- Jing X, Zhou S, Wang W, Chen Y. Mechanisms underlying long- and short-range nodal signaling in Zebrafish. Mech Dev. 2006;123:388-94 pubmed..In this study, we investigated the regulation of the signaling range of zebrafish Nodal proteins Cyclops and Squint, which are short- and long-range signals, respectively...
- Mathieu J, Barth A, Rosa F, Wilson S, Peyrieras N. Distinct and cooperative roles for Nodal and Hedgehog signals during hypothalamic development. Development. 2002;129:3055-65 pubmed..Finally we show that it is the prechordal plate and not the head endoderm that provides the early signals essential for establishment of the hypothalamus. ..
- Fukuda K, Kikuchi Y. Endoderm development in vertebrates: fate mapping, induction and regional specification. Dev Growth Differ. 2005;47:343-55 pubmed..We discuss the classical fate mapping of the endoderm and the more recent progress in characterizing its induction, segregation and regional specification. ..
- Lim S, Wang Y, Yu X, Huang Y, Featherstone M, Sampath K. A simple strategy for heritable chromosomal deletions in zebrafish via the combinatorial action of targeting nucleases. Genome Biol. 2013;14:R69 pubmed publisher..Here, we show heritable targeting of locus-specific deletions in the zebrafish nodal-related genes squint (sqt) and cyclops (cyc)...
- Zaucker A, Nagorska A, Kumari P, Hecker N, Wang Y, Huang S, et al. Translational co-regulation of a ligand and inhibitor by a conserved RNA element. Nucleic Acids Res. 2018;46:104-119 pubmed publisher..which we previously identified as a dorsal localization element (DLE) in the 3'UTR of zebrafish nodal-related1/squint (ndr1/sqt) ligand mRNA, is shared by the related ligand nodal-related2/cyclops (ndr2/cyc) and the nodal inhibitors,..
- Hashiguchi M, Shinya M, Tokumoto M, Sakai N. Nodal/Bozozok-independent induction of the dorsal organizer by zebrafish cell lines. Dev Biol. 2008;321:387-96 pubmed publisher..However, ectopic expression of boz and sqt were not observed in cultured cells...
- Hashimoto H, Rebagliati M, Ahmad N, Muraoka O, Kurokawa T, Hibi M, et al. The Cerberus/Dan-family protein Charon is a negative regulator of Nodal signaling during left-right patterning in zebrafish. Development. 2004;131:1741-53 pubmed publisher..also suppressed the dorsalizing activity of all three of the known zebrafish Nodal-related proteins (Cyclops, Squint and Southpaw), indicating that Charon can antagonize Nodal signaling...
- Langdon Y, Fuentes R, Zhang H, Abrams E, Marlow F, Mullins M. Split top: a maternal cathepsin B that regulates dorsoventral patterning and morphogenesis. Development. 2016;143:1016-28 pubmed publisher..Our results identify a novel role for Ctsba in morphogenesis and expand our understanding of the maternal regulation of dorsoventral patterning. ..
- Watanabe M, Rebbert M, Andreazzoli M, Takahashi N, Toyama R, Zimmerman S, et al. Regulation of the Lim-1 gene is mediated through conserved FAST-1/FoxH1 sites in the first intron. Dev Dyn. 2002;225:448-56 pubmed..These results illuminate the conserved nature of the transcriptional regulation of the Lim-1 gene in different vertebrate animals. ..
- Rong X, Chen C, Zhou P, Zhou Y, Li Y, Lu L, et al. R-spondin 3 regulates dorsoventral and anteroposterior patterning by antagonizing Wnt/?-catenin signaling in zebrafish embryos. PLoS ONE. 2014;9:e99514 pubmed publisher..Human RSPO3 has similar action when tested in zebrafish embryos. These results suggest that Rspo3 regulates dorsoventral and anteroposterior patterning by negatively regulating the zygotic Wnt/?-catenin signaling in zebrafish embryos. ..
- Kang N, Won M, Rhee M, Ro H. Siah ubiquitin ligases modulate nodal signaling during zebrafish embryonic development. Mol Cells. 2014;37:389-98 pubmed publisher..Additionally, since the embryos injected with Siah morpholinos mimicked the atv overexpression phenotype at least in part, our data support a model in which Siah is involved in mesendoderm patterning via modulating Nodal signaling. ..
- Warga R, Kane D. One-eyed pinhead regulates cell motility independent of Squint/Cyclops signaling. Dev Biol. 2003;261:391-411 pubmed..However, in squint;cyclops double mutants, which lack Nodal function and possess a more severe phenotype than zygotic one-eyed ..
- Bisgrove B, Morelli S, Yost H. Genetics of human laterality disorders: insights from vertebrate model systems. Annu Rev Genomics Hum Genet. 2003;4:1-32 pubmed..This approach helps suggest candidate genes and genetic pathways that might be perturbed in human laterality disorders and improves diagnostic criteria. ..
- Zhou F, Xie F, Jin K, Zhang Z, Clerici M, Gao R, et al. USP4 inhibits SMAD4 monoubiquitination and promotes activin and BMP signaling. EMBO J. 2017;36:1623-1639 pubmed publisher..Moreover, zebrafish depleted of USP4 exhibited defective cell migration and slower coordinated cell movement known as epiboly, both of which could be rescued by SMAD4. Therefore, USP4 is a critical determinant of SMAD4 activity. ..
- Noël E, Verhoeven M, Lagendijk A, Tessadori F, Smith K, Choorapoikayil S, et al. A Nodal-independent and tissue-intrinsic mechanism controls heart-looping chirality. Nat Commun. 2013;4:2754 pubmed publisher..We find that Nodal signalling regulates actin gene expression, supporting a model in which Nodal signalling amplifies this tissue-intrinsic mechanism of heart looping. ..
- Yimlamai D, Konnikova L, Moss L, Jay D. The zebrafish down syndrome cell adhesion molecule is involved in cell movement during embryogenesis. Dev Biol. 2005;279:44-57 pubmed..Its loss results in early morphogenetic defects. dscam knockdown results in impaired cell movement during epiboly as well as in subsequent stages. We propose that migrating cells utilize dscam to remodel the developing embryo. ..
- Essner J, Amack J, Nyholm M, Harris E, Yost H. Kupffer's vesicle is a ciliated organ of asymmetry in the zebrafish embryo that initiates left-right development of the brain, heart and gut. Development. 2005;132:1247-60 pubmed..These results suggest that cilia are an essential component of a conserved mechanism that controls the transition from bilateral symmetry to LR asymmetry in vertebrates. ..
- Pei W, Williams P, Clark M, Stemple D, Feldman B. Environmental and genetic modifiers of squint penetrance during zebrafish embryogenesis. Dev Biol. 2007;308:368-78 pubmed..Two Nodal-related proteins - Squint (Sqt) and Cyclops (Cyc) - are expressed during germ-layer specification in zebrafish...
- Khan A, Nakamoto A, Tai M, Saito S, Nakayama Y, Kawamura A, et al. Mesendoderm specification depends on the function of Pou2, the class V POU-type transcription factor, during zebrafish embryogenesis. Dev Growth Differ. 2012;54:686-701 pubmed publisher..Our findings suggest that Pou2 functions in multiple aspects of vertebrate development, especially in the binary decision of the mesendoderm to mesoderm and endoderm in different ways depending on the developmental stage. ..
- Chen Y, Harris M, Levesque M, NUSSLEIN VOLHARD C, Sonawane M. Heterogeneity across the dorso-ventral axis in zebrafish EVL is regulated by a novel module consisting of sox, snail1a and max genes. Mech Dev. 2012;129:13-23 pubmed publisher..For the first time, this transgenic line unravels the heterogeneity in the EVL and will serve as an important tool in understanding the molecular basis of the DV patterning of the EVL. ..
- Moreno Ayala R, Schnabel D, Salas Vidal E, LomelÃ H. PIAS-like protein Zimp7 is required for the restriction of the zebrafish organizer and mesoderm development. Dev Biol. 2015;403:89-100 pubmed publisher..Altogether, our findings indicate that Zimp7 is involved in transcriptional regulation of factors that are essential for patterning in the dorsoventral axis. ..
- Moreno Mateos M, Vejnar C, Beaudoin J, Fernandez J, Mis E, Khokha M, et al. CRISPRscan: designing highly efficient sgRNAs for CRISPR-Cas9 targeting in vivo. Nat Methods. 2015;12:982-8 pubmed publisher..These results identify determinants that influence Cas9 activity and provide a framework for the design of highly efficient sgRNAs for genome targeting in vivo. ..
- Hagos E, Fan X, Dougan S. The role of maternal Activin-like signals in zebrafish embryos. Dev Biol. 2007;309:245-58 pubmed..proteins are expressed in zebrafish, including the Vg1 orthologue, zDVR-1, and the nodal-related gene, Squint. Our analysis of embryos lacking both maternal and zygotic squint function revealed that maternal squint is ..
- Londin E, Mentzer L, Sirotkin H. Churchill regulates cell movement and mesoderm specification by repressing Nodal signaling. BMC Dev Biol. 2007;7:120 pubmed..These findings reveal a dynamic role for chch in regulating cell movement and fate during early development. ..
- Kimelman D. Squinting at the zebrafish axis. Dev Cell. 2006;10:6-7 pubmed..In a recent issue of Nature, maternal transcripts encoding the zebrafish nodal squint were shown to be localized to the future organizer region by the four-cell stage, providing the earliest evidence ..