Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: nanos3
Description: nanos homolog 3
Alias: cb725, nanos, nanos1, nos1, nanos homolog 3
- Blaser H, Reichman Fried M, Castanon I, Dumstrei K, Marlow F, Kawakami K, et al. Migration of zebrafish primordial germ cells: a role for myosin contraction and cytoplasmic flow. Dev Cell. 2006;11:613-27 pubmed..The biased formation of new protrusions in a particular region of the cell in response to SDF-1 defines the leading edge and the direction of cell migration. ..
- Koebernick K, Loeber J, Arthur P, Tarbashevich K, Pieler T. Elr-type proteins protect Xenopus Dead end mRNA from miR-18-mediated clearance in the soma. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2010;107:16148-53 pubmed publisher..The part of XDE-LE critical for somatic RNA clearance exhibits homology to zebrafish nanos1 and appears to be targeted by Xenopus miR-18 for somatic mRNA clearance...
- Saito T, Fujimoto T, Maegawa S, Inoue K, Tanaka M, Arai K, et al. Visualization of primordial germ cells in vivo using GFP-nos1 3'UTR mRNA. Int J Dev Biol. 2006;50:691-9 pubmedIn some teleost fish, primordial germ cells (PGCs) inherit specific maternal cytoplasmic factors such as vasa and nanos 1 (nos1) mRNA...
- Kurokawa H, Aoki Y, Nakamura S, Ebe Y, Kobayashi D, Tanaka M. Time-lapse analysis reveals different modes of primordial germ cell migration in the medaka Oryzias latipes. Dev Growth Differ. 2006;48:209-21 pubmed..Here, we demonstrate that medaka nanos expression marks the germ line at early gastrulation stage...
- Blaser H, Eisenbeiss S, Neumann M, Reichman Fried M, Thisse B, Thisse C, et al. Transition from non-motile behaviour to directed migration during early PGC development in zebrafish. J Cell Sci. 2005;118:4027-38 pubmed..Using the promoter of the novel gene askopos and RNA elements of nanos1 to drive GFP expression in PGCs, we found that immediately after their specification (about 3 hpf) PGCs exhibit ..
- Doitsidou M, Reichman Fried M, Stebler J, Köprunner M, Dörries J, Meyer D, et al. Guidance of primordial germ cell migration by the chemokine SDF-1. Cell. 2002;111:647-59 pubmed..Finally, we show that the PGCs can be attracted toward an ectopic source of the chemokine, strongly suggesting that this molecule provides a key directional cue for the PGCs. ..
- Draper B, McCallum C, Moens C. nanos1 is required to maintain oocyte production in adult zebrafish. Dev Biol. 2007;305:589-98 pubmed..We show here that nanos1 in zebrafish is expressed in early stage oocytes in the adult female germline...
- Wong T, Tesfamichael A, Collodi P. Production of zebrafish offspring from cultured female germline stem cells. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e62660 pubmed publisher..established by G418 selection and continued to express ziwi for more than 6 weeks along with the germ cell markers nanos3, dnd, dazl and vasa...
- Hashimoto Y, Maegawa S, Nagai T, Yamaha E, Suzuki H, Yasuda K, et al. Localized maternal factors are required for zebrafish germ cell formation. Dev Biol. 2004;268:152-61 pubmed..We also found novel localization patterns for zDazl and brul mRNAs along the cleavage planes. Our findings provide the first direct evidence that localized cytoplasmic factors are indispensable for germ cell establishment in zebrafish. ..
- Wong T, Collodi P. Effects of specific and prolonged expression of zebrafish growth factors, Fgf2 and Lif in primordial germ cells in vivo. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2013;430:347-51 pubmed publisher..In this study, we discovered that nanos3 3'UTR, a common method used to label PGCs, not only directed PGC-specific expression of DsRed but also prolonged ..
- Köprunner M, Thisse C, Thisse B, Raz E. A zebrafish nanos-related gene is essential for the development of primordial germ cells. Genes Dev. 2001;15:2877-85 pubmed..Here, we report the identification of a nanos-like (nanos1) gene, which is expressed in the germ plasm and in the PGCs of the zebrafish...
- Mo S, Song P, Lv D, Chen Y, Zhou W, Gong W, et al. Zebrafish z-otu, a novel Otu and Tudor domain-containing gene, is expressed in early stages of oogenesis and embryogenesis. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2005;1732:1-7 pubmed..Therefore, z-otu might link the ubiquitin signaling pathway to early oogenesis and maintaining the totipotency of embryonic cell. ..
- Miranda Rodríguez J, Salas Vidal E, Lomeli H, Zurita M, Schnabel D. RhoA/ROCK pathway activity is essential for the correct localization of the germ plasm mRNAs in zebrafish embryos. Dev Biol. 2017;421:27-42 pubmed publisherZebrafish germ plasm is composed of mRNAs such as vasa and nanos and of proteins such as Bucky ball, all of which localize symmetrically in four aggregates at the distal region of the first two cleavage furrows...
- Liu Y, Lin Z, Liu M, Wang H, Sun H. Overexpression of DYRK1A, a Down Syndrome Candidate gene, Impairs Primordial Germ Cells Maintenance and Migration in zebrafish. Sci Rep. 2017;7:15313 pubmed publisher..We injected DYRK1A mRNA into embryos and detected the PGCs marker gene vasa and nanos1. Results showed depletion in numbers and disordering migration of PGCs in human or zebrafish DYRK1A overexpressed ..
- Beer R, Draper B. nanos3 maintains germline stem cells and expression of the conserved germline stem cell gene nanos2 in the zebrafish ovary. Dev Biol. 2013;374:308-18 pubmed publisher..b>nanos3, which encodes a conserved RNA-binding protein, is known to be required for the continued production of oocytes in ..
- Strasser M, Mackenzie N, Dumstrei K, Nakkrasae L, Stebler J, Raz E. Control over the morphology and segregation of Zebrafish germ cell granules during embryonic development. BMC Dev Biol. 2008;8:58 pubmed publisher..in Xenopus and chromatoid bodies in mice germ cells, such as the localization of the zebrafish Vasa, Piwi and Nanos proteins, among others...
- Menon K, Andrews S, Murthy M, Gavis E, Zinn K. The translational repressors Nanos and Pumilio have divergent effects on presynaptic terminal growth and postsynaptic glutamate receptor subunit composition. J Neurosci. 2009;29:5558-72 pubmed publisherPumilio (Pum) is a translational repressor that binds selectively to target mRNAs and recruits Nanos (Nos) as a corepressor...
- Paksa A, Bandemer J, Hoeckendorf B, Razin N, Tarbashevich K, Minina S, et al. Repulsive cues combined with physical barriers and cell-cell adhesion determine progenitor cell positioning during organogenesis. Nat Commun. 2016;7:11288 pubmed publisher..The combination of these developmental and cellular mechanisms prevents organ fusion, controls organ positioning and is thus critical for its proper function. ..
- Li M, Tan X, Sui Y, Jiao S, Wu Z, You F. Conserved elements in the nanos3 3'UTR of olive flounder are responsible for the selective retention of RNA in germ cells. Comp Biochem Physiol B Biochem Mol Biol. 2016;198:66-72 pubmed publisher..A previous study indicated that nanos3 is specifically expressed in PGCs, and the 3' untranslated region (UTR) of nanos3 is responsible for the ..
- Xiong F, Wei Z, Zhu Z, Sun Y. Targeted expression in zebrafish primordial germ cells by Cre/loxP and Gal4/UAS systems. Mar Biotechnol (NY). 2013;15:526-39 pubmed publisher..More importantly, when the UAS:mRFP-nos1 construct was directly injected into the Tg(kop:KalTA4) embryos, it was possible to specifically label the PGCs ..
- Mahabaleshwar H, Tarbashevich K, Nowak M, Brand M, Raz E. ?-arrestin control of late endosomal sorting facilitates decoy receptor function and chemokine gradient formation. Development. 2012;139:2897-902 pubmed publisher..arrestins thus function in regulating chemokine gradient formation, allowing responding cells to discriminate between alternative migration targets in vivo. ..
- Gross Thebing T, Paksa A, Raz E. Simultaneous high-resolution detection of multiple transcripts combined with localization of proteins in whole-mount embryos. BMC Biol. 2014;12:55 pubmed publisher..Such a protocol would contribute to biomedical research and clinical diagnostics by providing information regarding the three-dimensional expression pattern of clinical markers. ..
- Zhao C, Yang Q, Hu J, Ye D, Gong W, Lu H, et al. Identification of zRAP55,a gene preponderantly expressed in Stages I and II oocytes of zebrafish. Dongwuxue Yanjiu. 2010;31:469-75 pubmed publisher..As an RNA associated protein, zRAP55 might function in the control of protein translation at the early stages of oogenesis in zebrafish. ..
- Wong T, Collodi P. Inducible Sterilization of Zebrafish by Disruption of Primordial Germ Cell Migration. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e68455 pubmed publisher..A transgenic line of zebrafish, Tg(hsp70:sdf1a-nanos3, EGFP), was generated that expresses Sdf1a under the control of the heat-shock protein 70 (hsp70) promoter and ..
- Minina S, Reichman Fried M, Raz E. Control of receptor internalization, signaling level, and precise arrival at the target in guided cell migration. Curr Biol. 2007;17:1164-72 pubmed
- Lo K, Hui M, Yu R, Wu R, Cheng S. Hypoxia impairs primordial germ cell migration in zebrafish (Danio rerio) embryos. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e24540 pubmed publisher..IGF signaling is shown to be one of the possible mechanisms for the causal link between hypoxia and PGC migration. We propose that hypoxia causes PGC migration defect by inhibiting IGF signaling through the induction of IGFBP-1. ..
- Campbell P, Chao J, Singer R, Marlow F. Dynamic visualization of transcription and RNA subcellular localization in zebrafish. Development. 2015;142:1368-74 pubmed publisher..5 h post-fertilization, consistent with the previously reported ZGA. Furthermore, we show that MS2-tagged nanos3 3'UTR transcripts localize to PGCs, where they are diffusely cytoplasmic and within larger cytoplasmic ..
- Wei K, Liu I. Heparan sulfate glycosaminoglycans modulate migration and survival in zebrafish primordial germ cells. Theriogenology. 2014;81:1275-85.e1-2 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, HS-GAGs play multifaceted roles in PGCs during migration and are required both for guidance signals and multiplication of PGCs. ..
- Xu Y, Wang H, Zhou J, Lei Y, Zhou Y, Yang Q, et al. Zebrafish Nanos interacts with and regulates the phosphorylation of Mylz2. Biochimie. 2010;92:1812-7 pubmed publisherb>Nanos genes were required for differentiation of the anterior-posterior body axis in the Drosophila embryo...
- Hashimoto H, Hara K, Hishiki A, Kawaguchi S, Shichijo N, Nakamura K, et al. Crystal structure of zinc-finger domain of Nanos and its functional implications. EMBO Rep. 2010;11:848-53 pubmed publisherb>Nanos is an RNA-binding protein that is involved in the development and maintenance of germ cells. In combination with Pumilio, Nanos binds to the 3' untranslated region of a messenger RNA and represses its translation...
- Mich J, Blaser H, Thomas N, Firestone A, Yelon D, Raz E, et al. Germ cell migration in zebrafish is cyclopamine-sensitive but Smoothened-independent. Dev Biol. 2009;328:342-54 pubmed publisher..These results demonstrate that Hh signaling is not required for zebrafish PGC migration, and underscore the importance of regulated cell-cell adhesion for cell migration in vivo. ..
- Saito T, Goto Kazeto R, Kawakami Y, Nomura K, Tanaka H, Adachi S, et al. The mechanism for primordial germ-cell migration is conserved between Japanese eel and zebrafish. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e24460 pubmed publisher..Several molecules associated with PGC migration (i.e. dead-end, nanos1, and cxcr4) are highly conserved across phylum boundaries...
- Liu Y, Zhu Z, Ho I, Shi Y, Xie Y, Li J, et al. Germline-specific dgcr8 knockout in zebrafish using a BACK approach. Cell Mol Life Sci. 2017;74:2503-2511 pubmed publisher..Our findings establish that Cre/loxP-mediated tissue-specific gene knockout could be achieved using this BACK strategy and that canonical microRNAs play important roles in early embryonic development in zebrafish. ..
- Gavis E, Chatterjee S, Ford N, Wolff L. Dispensability of nanos mRNA localization for abdominal patterning but not for germ cell development. Mech Dev. 2008;125:81-90 pubmedThe development of a functional germline is essential for species propagation. The nanos (nos) gene plays an evolutionarily conserved role in germline development and is also essential for abdominal patterning in Drosophila...
- Kobayashi T. In vitro germ cell differentiation during sex differentiation in a teleost fish. Int J Dev Biol. 2010;54:105-11 pubmed publisher..From the screening process, we identified the female-related gene, FR-3, which is a homolog of zebrafish nanos-related gene (nos)...
- Bontems F, Stein A, Marlow F, Lyautey J, Gupta T, Mullins M, et al. Bucky ball organizes germ plasm assembly in zebrafish. Curr Biol. 2009;19:414-22 pubmed publisher..Because we discovered buc homologs in many vertebrate genomes, including mammals, these results identify buc as the first gene necessary and sufficient for germ plasm organization in vertebrates. ..
- Hashimoto H, Kawaguchi S, Hara K, Nakamura K, Shimizu T, Tamaru Y, et al. Purification, crystallization and initial X-ray diffraction study of the zinc-finger domain of zebrafish Nanos. Acta Crystallogr Sect F Struct Biol Cryst Commun. 2009;65:959-61 pubmed publisherb>Nanos is a highly conserved RNA-binding protein in higher eukaryotes and acts as a key regulator protein involved in translational control utilizing the 3' untranslated region of mRNA...
- Wang H, Liu Y, Ye D, Li J, Liu J, Deng F. Knockdown of zebrafish Nanog increases primordial germ cells during early embryonic development. Dev Growth Differ. 2016;58:355-66 pubmed publisher..These data indicated that zNanog inhibits the PGCs proliferation in early embryonic development of zebrafish. ..
- Xu H, Kardash E, Chen S, Raz E, Lin F. G?? signaling controls the polarization of zebrafish primordial germ cells by regulating Rac activity. Development. 2012;139:57-62 pubmed publisher..Our results indicate that during PGC migration in vivo, G?? signaling regulates Rac activity to control cell polarity, which is required for the responsiveness to chemokine signaling. ..
- Goto Kazeto R, Saito T, Takagi M, Arai K, Yamaha E. Isolation of teleost primordial germ cells using flow cytometry. Int J Dev Biol. 2010;54:1487-92 pubmed publisher..In zebrafish, medaka and goldfish, the PGCs were labeled by injecting the gfp-nos1 3UTR mRNA into 1- 4 cell embryos...
- Tang H, Chen Y, Liu Y, Yin Y, Li G, Guo Y, et al. New Insights Into the Role of Estrogens in Male Fertility Based on Findings in Aromatase-Deficient Zebrafish. Endocrinology. 2017;158:3042-3054 pubmed publisher..Collectively, our findings indicate that estrogens are not needed to achieve and maintain normal fertility in male zebrafish. This finding challenges the traditional view that estrogens are indispensable for male fertility. ..
- Moreno Mateos M, Vejnar C, Beaudoin J, Fernandez J, Mis E, Khokha M, et al. CRISPRscan: designing highly efficient sgRNAs for CRISPR-Cas9 targeting in vivo. Nat Methods. 2015;12:982-8 pubmed publisher..Finally, we show that targeting Cas9 to the germ line using a Cas9-nanos 3' UTR led to the generation of maternal-zygotic mutants, as well as increased viability and decreased somatic ..
- Wiszniak S, Dredge B, Jensen K. HuB (elavl2) mRNA is restricted to the germ cells by post-transcriptional mechanisms including stabilisation of the message by DAZL. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e20773 pubmed publisher..Our study suggests that DAZL specifically binds the HuB 3'UTR and protects the message from degradation and/or enhances HuB translation, leading to the germ cell specific expression of HuB protein. ..
- Wong T, Tesfamichael A, Collodi P. Identification of promoter elements responsible for gonad-specific expression of zebrafish Deadend and its application to ovarian germ cell derivation. Int J Dev Biol. 2013;57:767-72 pubmed publisher..RT-PCR results demonstrated that the drug-selected ovarian germ cells continued to express germ-cell markers nanos3, vasa and dnd...
- Reichman Fried M, Minina S, Raz E. Autonomous modes of behavior in primordial germ cell migration. Dev Cell. 2004;6:589-96 pubmed..Together, these behavioral modes allow the cells to arrive at specific destinations with high fidelity and remain at their target site. ..
- Sun H, Li D, Chen S, Liu Y, Liao X, Deng W, et al. Zili inhibits transforming growth factor-beta signaling by interacting with Smad4. J Biol Chem. 2010;285:4243-50 pubmed publisher..This work shows that zili plays a role in early embryogenesis beyond germ line as a novel negative regulator of TGF-beta signaling, extending the function of Piwi proteins in vertebrates. ..
- Herpin A, Nakamura S, Wagner T, Tanaka M, Schartl M. A highly conserved cis-regulatory motif directs differential gonadal synexpression of Dmrt1 transcripts during gonad development. Nucleic Acids Res. 2009;37:1510-20 pubmed publisher..The sequence motif was found to be conserved in most of the dmrt1 homologous genes from flies to humans suggesting a widespread conservation of this specific mechanism. ..
- Li M, Tan X, Jiao S, Wang Q, Wu Z, You F, et al. A new pattern of primordial germ cell migration in olive flounder (Paralichthys olivaceus) identified using nanos3. Dev Genes Evol. 2015;225:195-206 pubmed publisher..Here, we sought to remedy this information deficit by isolating the germline-specific gene nanos3 and analyzing its expression in olive flounder...
- Ramasamy S, Wang H, Quach H, Sampath K. Zebrafish Staufen1 and Staufen2 are required for the survival and migration of primordial germ cells. Dev Biol. 2006;292:393-406 pubmed..Furthermore, expression of a green fluorescent protein (GFP):nanos 3'UTR fusion protein in germ cells shows that PGC migration is aberrant, and the mis-migrating PGCs do not survive ..
- Goto R, Saito T, Kawakami Y, Kitauchi T, Takagi M, Todo T, et al. Visualization of primordial germ cells in the fertilized pelagic eggs of the barfin flounder Verasper moseri. Int J Dev Biol. 2015;59:465-70 pubmed publisher..from the fusion product of a fluorescent protein gene attached to the 3' untranslated region (3'UTR) of zebrafish nanos3 (zf-nos3)...
- Hartung O, Forbes M, Marlow F. Zebrafish vasa is required for germ-cell differentiation and maintenance. Mol Reprod Dev. 2014;81:946-61 pubmed publisher..Our studies provide insight into the function of zebrafish vasa during female meiosis, differentiation, and maintenance of germ-line stem cells. ..
- Boldajipour B, Doitsidou M, Tarbashevich K, Laguri C, Yu S, Ries J, et al. Cxcl12 evolution--subfunctionalization of a ligand through altered interaction with the chemokine receptor. Development. 2011;138:2909-14 pubmed publisher..Such specialization increases the complexity and flexibility of chemokine signaling in controlling concurrent developmental processes. ..
- Hu J, Sun S, Guo M, Song H. Use of antagonists and morpholinos in loss-of-function analyses: estrogen receptor ESR2a mediates the effects of 17alpha-ethinylestradiol on primordial germ cell distribution in zebrafish. Reprod Biol Endocrinol. 2014;12:40 pubmed publisher..To investigate the effects of EE2 exposure on PGC migration, zebrafish embryos were injected with gfp-nanos mRNA to label PGCs and subsequently exposed to different concentrations of EE2...
- Liu W, Guan Y, Collodi P. A zebrafish cell culture assay for the identification of microRNA targets. Zebrafish. 2010;7:343-8 pubmed publisher..The cell culture-based assay could be used to validate target sequences of other zebrafish miRNAs. ..
- Kardash E, Bandemer J, Raz E. Imaging protein activity in live embryos using fluorescence resonance energy transfer biosensors. Nat Protoc. 2011;6:1835-46 pubmed publisher..Once an optimized biosensor is available, the complete procedure, including introduction of the probes into embryos, imaging and data analysis, requires 2-3 d. ..
- Meyen D, Tarbashevich K, Banisch T, Wittwer C, Reichman Fried M, Maugis B, et al. Dynamic filopodia are required for chemokine-dependent intracellular polarization during guided cell migration in vivo. elife. 2015;4: pubmed publisher..Together, we show that filopodia allow the interpretation of the chemotactic gradient in vivo by directing single-cell polarization in response to the guidance cue. ..
- Campbell P, Heim A, Smith M, Marlow F. Kinesin-1 interacts with Bucky ball to form germ cells and is required to pattern the zebrafish body axis. Development. 2015;142:2996-3008 pubmed publisher..These studies identify essential roles for maternal Kif5Ba in PGC specification and DV patterning, and provide mechanistic insight into Buc functions during early embryogenesis. ..
- Zhang Y, Chen J, Cui X, Luo D, Xia H, Dai J, et al. A controllable on-off strategy for the reproductive containment of fish. Sci Rep. 2015;5:7614 pubmed publisher..This on-off strategy is a potentially effective means of generating sterile fish for commercialization while retaining fertility in brood stocks, and offers a novel method to mitigate the ecological risks of fish introductions. ..
- Dong Z, Dong X, Jia W, Cao S, Zhao Q. Improving the efficiency for generation of genome-edited zebrafish by labeling primordial germ cells. Int J Biochem Cell Biol. 2014;55:329-34 pubmed publisher..Co-microinjecting yfp-nanos3 mRNA with Cas9 mRNA, sgRNA and single strand DNA donor to label the distribution of microinjected nucleotides in ..