Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: myod1
Description: myogenic differentiation 1
Alias: etID309723.25, myod, wu:fb57a01, zgc:136744, myoblast determination protein 1 homolog, myoblast determination 1, myogenic factor 1
- Wohlgemuth S, Crawford B, Pilgrim D. The myosin co-chaperone UNC-45 is required for skeletal and cardiac muscle function in zebrafish. Dev Biol. 2007;303:483-92 pubmed..These results suggest that Unc45b acts as a chaperone that aids in the folding of myosin isoforms required for skeletal, cranial and cardiac muscle contraction. ..
- Svetic V, Hollway G, Elworthy S, Chipperfield T, Davison C, Adams R, et al. Sdf1a patterns zebrafish melanophores and links the somite and melanophore pattern defects in choker mutants. Development. 2007;134:1011-22 pubmed..We thus identify Sdf1 as a key molecule in pigment pattern formation, adding to the growing inventory of its roles in embryonic development...
- May Simera H, Kai M, Hernandez V, Osborn D, Tada M, Beales P. Bbs8, together with the planar cell polarity protein Vangl2, is required to establish left-right asymmetry in zebrafish. Dev Biol. 2010;345:215-25 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that bbs8 and vangl2 act synergistically on cell polarization to establish and maintain the appropriate length and number of cilia in the KV and thereby facilitate correct LR asymmetry. ..
- Osborn D, Li K, Hinits Y, Hughes S. Cdkn1c drives muscle differentiation through a positive feedback loop with Myod. Dev Biol. 2011;350:464-75 pubmed publisher..myogenesis in the vertebrate somite, in part by raising the activity of muscle regulatory factors (MRFs) of the Myod family above a threshold. Hh is known to enhance MRF expression...
- von der Hardt S, Bakkers J, Inbal A, Carvalho L, Solnica Krezel L, Heisenberg C, et al. The Bmp gradient of the zebrafish gastrula guides migrating lateral cells by regulating cell-cell adhesion. Curr Biol. 2007;17:475-87 pubmed
- Hammond C, Hinits Y, Osborn D, Minchin J, Tettamanti G, Hughes S. Signals and myogenic regulatory factors restrict pax3 and pax7 expression to dermomyotome-like tissue in zebrafish. Dev Biol. 2007;302:504-21 pubmed..Pax3 is required upstream of myod for lateral dermomyotomal cells in the amniote somite to form particular muscle cells...
- O Brien L, Grimaldi M, Kostun Z, Wingert R, Selleck R, Davidson A. Wt1a, Foxc1a, and the Notch mediator Rbpj physically interact and regulate the formation of podocytes in zebrafish. Dev Biol. 2011;358:318-30 pubmed publisher..These findings further our understanding of the transcriptional circuitry responsible for podocyte formation and differentiation during kidney development. ..
- Seger C, Hargrave M, Wang X, Chai R, Elworthy S, Ingham P. Analysis of Pax7 expressing myogenic cells in zebrafish muscle development, injury, and models of disease. Dev Dyn. 2011;240:2440-51 pubmed publisher..We also analyzed Pax7(+ve) cells in animals with dystrophic phenotypes and found an increased number compared with wild-type. ..
- Seo J, Asaoka Y, Nagai Y, Hirayama J, Yamasaki T, Namae M, et al. Negative regulation of wnt11 expression by Jnk signaling during zebrafish gastrulation. J Cell Biochem. 2010;110:1022-37 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, non-canonical Wnt signaling may coordinate vertebrate CE movements by triggering Jnk activation that represses the expression of the CE-triggering ligand wnt11. ..
- Hinits Y, Osborn D, Hughes S. Differential requirements for myogenic regulatory factors distinguish medial and lateral somitic, cranial and fin muscle fibre populations. Development. 2009;136:403-14 pubmed publisherMyogenic regulatory factors of the Myod family (MRFs) are transcription factors essential for mammalian skeletal myogenesis...
- Shankaran S, Sieger D, Schroter C, Czepe C, Pauly M, Laplante M, et al. Completing the set of h/E(spl) cyclic genes in zebrafish: her12 and her15 reveal novel modes of expression and contribute to the segmentation clock. Dev Biol. 2007;304:615-32 pubmed..We propose that this creates a segmentation oscillator that varies in biochemical composition depending on position in the PSM. ..
- Tucker J, Mintzer K, Mullins M. The BMP signaling gradient patterns dorsoventral tissues in a temporally progressive manner along the anteroposterior axis. Dev Cell. 2008;14:108-19 pubmed publisher..We propose that a temporal cue regulates a cell's competence to respond to BMP signaling, allowing the acquisition of a cell's DV and AP identity simultaneously. ..
- Hollway G, Bryson Richardson R, Berger S, Cole N, Hall T, Currie P. Whole-somite rotation generates muscle progenitor cell compartments in the developing zebrafish embryo. Dev Cell. 2007;12:207-19 pubmed..We also show that formation of this compartment occurs via whole-somite rotation, a process that requires the action of the Sdf family of secreted cytokines. ..
- Bai X, Kim J, Yang Z, Jurynec M, Akie T, Lee J, et al. TIF1gamma controls erythroid cell fate by regulating transcription elongation. Cell. 2010;142:133-43 pubmed publisher..Our study establishes a mechanism for regulating tissue cell fate and differentiation through transcription elongation. ..
- Patterson S, Mook L, Devoto S. Growth in the larval zebrafish pectoral fin and trunk musculature. Dev Dyn. 2008;237:307-15 pubmed..Our results suggest that regulation of fiber type development and muscle growth may differ in the pectoral fin and trunk. ..
- Lam P, Webb S, Leclerc C, Moreau M, Miller A. Inhibition of stored Ca2+ release disrupts convergence-related cell movements in the lateral intermediate mesoderm resulting in abnormal positioning and morphology of the pronephric anlagen in intact zebrafish embryos. Dev Growth Differ. 2009;51:429-42 pubmed publisher..Our data suggest that when Ca(2+) release is inhibited, the resulting effects on the pronephric anlagen are a consequence of the disruption of normal convergence-related movements of LIM cells toward the embryonic midline. ..
- Harrington M, Hong E, Fasanmi O, Brewster R. Cadherin-mediated adhesion regulates posterior body formation. BMC Dev Biol. 2007;7:130 pubmed..These findings further highlight the central role that adhesion molecules play in the cellular rearrangements that drive morphogenesis in vertebrates and identify classical cadherins as major contributors to tail development. ..
- Tsai Y, Pan H, Hung C, Hou P, Li Y, Lee Y, et al. The predominant protein arginine methyltransferase PRMT1 is critical for zebrafish convergence and extension during gastrulation. FEBS J. 2011;278:905-17 pubmed publisher..The results obtained in the present study demonstrate a direct link of early development with protein arginine methylation catalyzed by PRMT1. ..
- Zeng X, Wilm T, Sepich D, Solnica Krezel L. Apelin and its receptor control heart field formation during zebrafish gastrulation. Dev Cell. 2007;12:391-402 pubmed..Our results implicate GPCR signaling in movements of discrete cell populations that establish organ rudiments during vertebrate gastrulation. ..
- Choorapoikayil S, Willems B, Ströhle P, Gajewski M. Analysis of her1 and her7 mutants reveals a spatio temporal separation of the somite clock module. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e39073 pubmed publisher..Together, this data indicates the existence of an independent and genetically separable anterior and posterior deltaC clock modules in the presomitic mesdorm (PSM). ..
- zhan G, Sezgin E, Wehner D, Pfister A, K hl S, Kagermeier Schenk B, et al. Lypd6 enhances Wnt/?-catenin signaling by promoting Lrp6 phosphorylation in raft plasma membrane domains. Dev Cell. 2013;26:331-45 pubmed publisher..Thus, Lypd6 appears to control Lrp6 activation specifically in membrane rafts, which is essential for downstream signaling...
- Zaghloul N, Liu Y, Gerdes J, Gascue C, Oh E, Leitch C, et al. Functional analyses of variants reveal a significant role for dominant negative and common alleles in oligogenic Bardet-Biedl syndrome. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2010;107:10602-7 pubmed publisher..Importantly, superimposition of these results to human genetics data suggests a previously underappreciated complexity in disease architecture that might be shared among diverse clinical phenotypes. ..
- Hagos E, Dougan S. Time-dependent patterning of the mesoderm and endoderm by Nodal signals in zebrafish. BMC Dev Biol. 2007;7:22 pubmed
- Srinivas B, Woo J, Leong W, Roy S. A conserved molecular pathway mediates myoblast fusion in insects and vertebrates. Nat Genet. 2007;39:781-6 pubmed..These findings uncover a substantial degree of evolutionary conservation in the genetic regulation of myoblast fusion. ..
- Fior R, Maxwell A, Ma T, Vezzaro A, Moens C, Amacher S, et al. The differentiation and movement of presomitic mesoderm progenitor cells are controlled by Mesogenin 1. Development. 2012;139:4656-65 pubmed publisher..Through its combined effects on gene expression and cell movement, Msgn1 (with Spt) plays a key role both in genesis of the paraxial mesoderm and in maintenance of the progenitor population from which it derives...
- Lam P, Yoo S, Green J, Huttenlocher A. The SH2-domain-containing inositol 5-phosphatase (SHIP) limits the motility of neutrophils and their recruitment to wounds in zebrafish. J Cell Sci. 2012;125:4973-8 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our findings suggest that SHIP phosphatases control neutrophil inflammation by limiting neutrophil motility in vivo. ..
- Batut J, Duboé C, Vandel L. The methyltransferases PRMT4/CARM1 and PRMT5 control differentially myogenesis in zebrafish. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e25427 pubmed publisher..While PRMT5 regulates myod, myf5 and myogenin expression and thereby slow and fast fiber formation, PRMT4/CARM1 regulates myogenin expression, ..
- Chung W, Shin C, Stainier D. Bmp2 signaling regulates the hepatic versus pancreatic fate decision. Dev Cell. 2008;15:738-48 pubmed publisher..These data provide in vivo evidence for the existence of bipotential hepatopancreatic progenitors and indicate that their fate is regulated by the medio-lateral patterning of the endodermal sheet, a process controlled by Bmp2b. ..
- Schnapp E, Pistocchi A, Karampetsou E, Foglia E, Lamia C, Cotelli F, et al. Induced early expression of mrf4 but not myog rescues myogenesis in the myod/myf5 double-morphant zebrafish embryo. J Cell Sci. 2009;122:481-8 pubmed publisher..all vertebrates, but their role has been studied in great detail only in the mouse embryo, where all but myogenin--Myod, Myf5 and Mrf4--are sufficient to activate (albeit not completely) skeletal myogenesis...
- van Eekelen M, Runtuwene V, Overvoorde J, den Hertog J. RPTPalpha and PTPepsilon signaling via Fyn/Yes and RhoA is essential for zebrafish convergence and extension cell movements during gastrulation. Dev Biol. 2010;340:626-39 pubmed publisher..Our results demonstrate that RPTPalpha and PTPepsilon are essential for C&E movements in a signaling pathway parallel to non-canonical Wnts and upstream of Fyn, Yes and RhoA. ..
- Waxman J, Yelon D. Increased Hox activity mimics the teratogenic effects of excess retinoic acid signaling. Dev Dyn. 2009;238:1207-13 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that Hox activity mediates the differential effects of ectopic RA on atrial and ventricular cardiomyocytes and may underlie the teratogenic effects of RA on the heart. ..
- Xu F, Li K, Tian M, Hu P, Song W, Chen J, et al. N-CoR is required for patterning the anterior-posterior axis of zebrafish hindbrain by actively repressing retinoid signaling. Mech Dev. 2009;126:771-80 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our results demonstrate that N-CoR is essential for early hindbrain patterning by actively repressing retinoid signaling. ..
- Lin C, Chen W, Lee H, Yang P, Yang H, Tsai H. The transcription factor Six1a plays an essential role in the craniofacial myogenesis of zebrafish. Dev Biol. 2009;331:152-66 pubmed publisher..Although Six1a was also necessary for myod and myogenin expression in head muscles, it did not affect myf5 expression in cranial muscles that originate from ..
- Warga R, Kane D. A role for N-cadherin in mesodermal morphogenesis during gastrulation. Dev Biol. 2007;310:211-25 pubmed..Hence, besides a well-established role in neural and somite morphogenesis, N-cadherin is essential for morphogenesis of the mesodermal germ layer during gastrulation. ..
- Varga M, Maegawa S, Bellipanni G, Weinberg E. Chordin expression, mediated by Nodal and FGF signaling, is restricted by redundant function of two beta-catenins in the zebrafish embryo. Mech Dev. 2007;124:775-91 pubmed
- Kida Y, Sato T, Miyasaka K, Suto A, Ogura T. Daam1 regulates the endocytosis of EphB during the convergent extension of the zebrafish notochord. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2007;104:6708-13 pubmed..We elucidate the molecular mechanism underlying the CE movement of notochord cells with Daam1 as a dynamic coordinator of endocytosis and cytoskeletal remodeling. ..
- Pramanik K, Chun C, Garnaas M, Samant G, Li K, Horswill M, et al. Dusp-5 and Snrk-1 coordinately function during vascular development and disease. Blood. 2009;113:1184-91 pubmed publisher..Importantly, mutations in dusp-5 and snrk-1 have been identified in affected tissues of patients with vascular anomalies, implicating the Snrk-1-Dusp-5 signaling pathway in human disease. ..
- Du S, Li H, Bian Y, Zhong Y. Heat-shock protein 90alpha1 is required for organized myofibril assembly in skeletal muscles of zebrafish embryos. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2008;105:554-9 pubmed publisher..These results indicate that Hsp90alpha1 plays an important role in muscle development, likely through facilitating myosin folding and assembly into organized myofibril filaments...
- Gerdes J, Liu Y, Zaghloul N, Leitch C, Lawson S, Kato M, et al. Disruption of the basal body compromises proteasomal function and perturbs intracellular Wnt response. Nat Genet. 2007;39:1350-60 pubmed
- Skromne I, Thorsen D, Hale M, Prince V, Ho R. Repression of the hindbrain developmental program by Cdx factors is required for the specification of the vertebrate spinal cord. Development. 2007;134:2147-58 pubmed..We propose that by preventing the posterior-most region of the neural plate from following a hindbrain developmental program, Cdx factors help determine the size of the prospective hindbrain and spinal cord territories. ..
- Fernandes J, Kinghorn J, Johnston I. Differential regulation of multiple alternatively spliced transcripts of MyoD. Gene. 2007;391:178-85 pubmed publisher..The T. rubripes myoD1 gene (TmyoD1) has 3 exons and 2 introns and it is present on scaffold 104, in a region of conserved synteny with ..
- Moreno T, Jappelli R, Izpisua Belmonte J, Kintner C. Retinoic acid regulation of the Mesp-Ripply feedback loop during vertebrate segmental patterning. Dev Biol. 2008;315:317-30 pubmed publisher..These observations suggest that variations in a direct response to RA input may allow for changes in A-P patterning of the segments in different vertebrate species. ..
- Yu P, Hong C, Sachidanandan C, Babitt J, Deng D, Hoyng S, et al. Dorsomorphin inhibits BMP signals required for embryogenesis and iron metabolism. Nat Chem Biol. 2008;4:33-41 pubmed..These findings suggest an essential physiological role for hepatic BMP signaling in iron-hepcidin homeostasis. ..
- Herrgen L, Ares S, Morelli L, Schroter C, Jülicher F, Oates A. Intercellular coupling regulates the period of the segmentation clock. Curr Biol. 2010;20:1244-53 pubmed publisher..Here we ask whether Delta-Notch coupling additionally influences the collective period of the segmentation clock...
- Rhinn M, Lun K, Ahrendt R, Geffarth M, Brand M. Zebrafish gbx1 refines the midbrain-hindbrain boundary border and mediates the Wnt8 posteriorization signal. Neural Dev. 2009;4:12 pubmed publisher..In addition to its role in MHB formation, we have shown that gbx1 is a novel mediator of Wnt8 signaling during hindbrain patterning. ..
- Wang X, Ono Y, Tan S, Chai R, Parkin C, Ingham P. Prdm1a and miR-499 act sequentially to restrict Sox6 activity to the fast-twitch muscle lineage in the zebrafish embryo. Development. 2011;138:4399-404 pubmed publisher..We find that translational repression of sox6 is mediated by miR-499, the slow-twitch-specific expression of which is in turn controlled by Prdm1a, forming a regulatory loop that initiates and maintains the slow-twitch muscle lineage. ..
- Valente E, Logan C, Mougou Zerelli S, Lee J, Silhavy J, Brancati F, et al. Mutations in TMEM216 perturb ciliogenesis and cause Joubert, Meckel and related syndromes. Nat Genet. 2010;42:619-25 pubmed publisher..These data implicate a new family of proteins in the ciliopathies and further support allelism between ciliopathy disorders. ..
- Snow C, Peterson M, Khalil A, Henry C. Muscle development is disrupted in zebrafish embryos deficient for fibronectin. Dev Dyn. 2008;237:2542-53 pubmed publisher..Fast- and slow-twitch muscle lengths are also more frequently uncoupled. These data suggest that fn may function to regulate fiber organization and limit fast-twitch muscle fiber length. ..
- Zhou J, Li W, Kamei H, Duan C. Duplication of the IGFBP-2 gene in teleost fish: protein structure and functionality conservation and gene expression divergence. PLoS ONE. 2008;3:e3926 pubmed publisher..The duplicated IGFBP-2 genes may provide additional flexibility in the regulation of IGF activities. ..
- Ahn D, Ho R. Tri-phasic expression of posterior Hox genes during development of pectoral fins in zebrafish: implications for the evolution of vertebrate paired appendages. Dev Biol. 2008;322:220-33 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that, although simpler in organization, teleost fins do have a distal structure that might be considered comparable to the autopod region of limbs. ..
- Lee C, Hu S, Gong H, Chen M, Lu J, Wu J. Suppression of myostatin with vector-based RNA interference causes a double-muscle effect in transgenic zebrafish. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2009;387:766-71 pubmed publisher..Also, the mRNA levels of myogenic regulatory factor markers such as MyoD, myogenin, Mrf4, and Myf5 were dramatically elevated in myostatin-suppressed transgenic fish compared to the non-..
- Hinits Y, Hughes S. Mef2s are required for thick filament formation in nascent muscle fibres. Development. 2007;134:2511-9 pubmed..Our findings show that Mef2 controls skeletal muscle formation after terminal differentiation and define a new maturation step in vertebrate skeletal muscle development at which thick filament gene expression is controlled. ..
- Linder B, Dill H, Hirmer A, Brocher J, Lee G, Mathavan S, et al. Systemic splicing factor deficiency causes tissue-specific defects: a zebrafish model for retinitis pigmentosa. Hum Mol Genet. 2011;20:368-77 pubmed publisher..Hence, various routes affecting the tri-snRNP can elicit tissue-specific gene expression defects and lead to the RP phenotype. ..
- Patterson S, Bird N, Devoto S. BMP regulation of myogenesis in zebrafish. Dev Dyn. 2010;239:806-17 pubmed publisher..overexpression of Bmp2b increases expression of the muscle precursor marker pax3, and changes the time course of myoD expression...
- Li H, Randall W, Du S. skNAC (skeletal Naca), a muscle-specific isoform of Naca (nascent polypeptide-associated complex alpha), is required for myofibril organization. FASEB J. 2009;23:1988-2000 pubmed publisher..Western blot analysis revealed that myosin protein levels were significantly reduced. Collectively, these results demonstrate that skNAC plays a vital role in myofibril assembly and function during muscle cell differentiation. ..
- Freisinger C, Fisher R, Slusarski D. Regulator of g protein signaling 3 modulates wnt5b calcium dynamics and somite patterning. PLoS Genet. 2010;6:e1001020 pubmed publisher..These results provide the first evidence for an essential developmental role of RGS proteins in modulating the duration of non-canonical Wnt signaling. ..
- Liew H, Choksi S, Wong K, Roy S. Specification of vertebrate slow-twitch muscle fiber fate by the transcriptional regulator Blimp1. Dev Biol. 2008;324:226-35 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these findings provide new insights into the molecular basis of vertebrate muscle fiber-type specification, and underscore Blimp1 as the central determinant of this process. ..
- Runtuwene V, van Eekelen M, Overvoorde J, Rehmann H, Yntema H, Nillesen W, et al. Noonan syndrome gain-of-function mutations in NRAS cause zebrafish gastrulation defects. Dis Model Mech. 2011;4:393-9 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, mutations in NRAS from individuals with Noonan syndrome activated N-Ras signaling and induced developmental defects in zebrafish embryos, indicating that activating mutations in NRAS cause Noonan syndrome...
- König H, Matter N, Bader R, Thiele W, Muller F. Splicing segregation: the minor spliceosome acts outside the nucleus and controls cell proliferation. Cell. 2007;131:718-29 pubmed..The segregation offers a mechanism accounting for spliceosome evolution in a single lineage and provides a means for nucleus-independent control of gene expression. ..
- Reynolds A, McDearmid J, Lachance S, De Marco P, Merello E, Capra V, et al. VANGL1 rare variants associated with neural tube defects affect convergent extension in zebrafish. Mech Dev. 2010;127:385-92 pubmed publisher..Our study demonstrates a high degree of functional conservation of VANGL genes across evolution and provides a model system for studying potential variants identified in human NTDs. ..
- Schroter C, Ares S, Morelli L, Isakova A, Hens K, Soroldoni D, et al. Topology and dynamics of the zebrafish segmentation clock core circuit. PLoS Biol. 2012;10:e1001364 pubmed publisher..The control of the circuit's dynamics by a population of dimers with and without DNA binding activity is a new principle for the segmentation clock and may be relevant to other biological clocks and transcriptional regulatory networks. ..
- Vatine G, Zada D, Lerer Goldshtein T, Tovin A, Malkinson G, Yaniv K, et al. Zebrafish as a model for monocarboxyl transporter 8-deficiency. J Biol Chem. 2013;288:169-80 pubmed publisher..This study shows that MCT8 is a crucial regulator during embryonic development and establishes the first vertebrate model for MCT8 deficiency that exhibits a neurological phenotype...
- Kagermeier Schenk B, Wehner D, Ozhan Kizil G, Yamamoto H, Li J, Kirchner K, et al. Waif1/5T4 inhibits Wnt/?-catenin signaling and activates noncanonical Wnt pathways by modifying LRP6 subcellular localization. Dev Cell. 2011;21:1129-43 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that Waif1 modulates pathway selection in Wnt-receiving cells. ..
- Hinits Y, Williams V, Sweetman D, Donn T, Ma T, Moens C, et al. Defective cranial skeletal development, larval lethality and haploinsufficiency in Myod mutant zebrafish. Dev Biol. 2011;358:102-12 pubmed publisherMyogenic regulatory factors of the myod family (MRFs) are transcription factors essential for mammalian skeletal myogenesis...