Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: myl7
Description: myosin, light chain 7, regulatory
Alias: cmlc2, mylc2a, zgc:92755, myosin regulatory light chain 2, atrial isoform, cardiac myosin light chain 2, myosin light chain, regulatory A, myosin, light polypeptide 7, regulatory, tel, tell tale heart
- Ott E, Van Den Akker N, Sakalis P, Gittenberger de Groot A, te Velthuis A, Bagowski C. The lim domain only protein 7 is important in zebrafish heart development. Dev Dyn. 2008;237:3940-52 pubmed publisher..We reveal the temporal and spatial expression patterns of this important gene during mouse, chicken and fish development and our findings suggest essential functions for LMO7 during vertebrate heart development. ..
- Smyth J, Hong T, Gao D, Vogan J, Jensen B, Fong T, et al. Limited forward trafficking of connexin 43 reduces cell-cell coupling in stressed human and mouse myocardium. J Clin Invest. 2010;120:266-79 pubmed publisher..We anticipate that protecting the microtubule-based forward delivery apparatus of connexons could improve cell-cell coupling and reduce ischemia-related cardiac arrhythmias. ..
- Jopling C, Sleep E, Raya M, Marti M, Raya A, Izpisua Belmonte J. Zebrafish heart regeneration occurs by cardiomyocyte dedifferentiation and proliferation. Nature. 2010;464:606-9 pubmed publisher..Our data provide the first direct evidence for the source of proliferating cardiomyocytes during zebrafish heart regeneration and indicate that stem or progenitor cells are not significantly involved in this process. ..
- Serluca F, Xu B, Okabe N, Baker K, Lin S, Sullivan Brown J, et al. Mutations in zebrafish leucine-rich repeat-containing six-like affect cilia motility and result in pronephric cysts, but have variable effects on left-right patterning. Development. 2009;136:1621-31 pubmed publisher..Combined with recently published results, our alleles suggest that the function of seahorse in cilia motility is separable from its function in other cilia-related phenotypes. ..
- Lagendijk A, Goumans M, Burkhard S, Bakkers J. MicroRNA-23 restricts cardiac valve formation by inhibiting Has2 and extracellular hyaluronic acid production. Circ Res. 2011;109:649-57 pubmed publisher..MiR-23 in the embryonic heart is required to restrict endocardial cushion formation by inhibiting Has2 expression and extracellular hyaluronic acid production. ..
- Zhou Y, Cashman T, Nevis K, Obregon P, Carney S, Liu Y, et al. Latent TGF-? binding protein 3 identifies a second heart field in zebrafish. Nature. 2011;474:645-8 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our findings uncover a requirement for ltbp3-TGF-? signalling during zebrafish SHF development, a process that serves to enlarge the single ventricular chamber in this species. ..
- Lazic S, Scott I. Mef2cb regulates late myocardial cell addition from a second heart field-like population of progenitors in zebrafish. Dev Biol. 2011;354:123-33 pubmed publisher..5, but does not express a full complement of differentiated cardiomyocyte markers, lacking myl7 expression...
- Cao J, Shen Y, Zhu L, Xu Y, Zhou Y, Wu Z, et al. miR-129-3p controls cilia assembly by regulating CP110 and actin dynamics. Nat Cell Biol. 2012;14:697-706 pubmed publisher..Therefore, our results reveal a mechanism that orchestrates both the centriole-to-basal body transition and subsequent cilia assembly through microRNA-mediated post-transcriptional regulation. ..
- TARGOFF K, Schell T, Yelon D. Nkx genes regulate heart tube extension and exert differential effects on ventricular and atrial cell number. Dev Biol. 2008;322:314-21 pubmed publisher..Our data suggest that morphogenetic errors could originate during early stages of heart tube assembly in patients with NKX2-5 mutations. ..
- Liu J, Stainier D. Tbx5 and Bmp signaling are essential for proepicardium specification in zebrafish. Circ Res. 2010;106:1818-28 pubmed publisher..Altogether, these data lead us to propose that Tbx5a confers anterior lateral plate mesodermal cells the competence to respond to Bmp signals and initiate PE development. ..
- Zhou W, Dai J, Attanasio M, Hildebrandt F. Nephrocystin-3 is required for ciliary function in zebrafish embryos. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol. 2010;299:F55-62 pubmed publisher..Thus nphp3, cooperating with nphp2/inversin, plays an essential role related to ciliary function, and the knockdown provides an animal model that may be used for studies of the pathogenesis and therapy for this disease. ..
- Zhang M, Zhang J, Lin S, Meng A. ?-Catenin 1 and ?-catenin 2 play similar and distinct roles in left-right asymmetric development of zebrafish embryos. Development. 2012;139:2009-19 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our findings suggest that ctnnb1 and ctnnb2 regulate multiple processes of laterality development in zebrafish embryos through similar and distinct mechanisms. ..
- Kikuchi K, Holdway J, Werdich A, Anderson R, Fang Y, Egnaczyk G, et al. Primary contribution to zebrafish heart regeneration by gata4(+) cardiomyocytes. Nature. 2010;464:601-5 pubmed publisher..lineage-tracing of cells expressing gata4 before evident regeneration, or of cells expressing the contractile gene cmlc2 before injury, each labelled most cardiac muscle in the ensuing regenerate...
- Aamar E, Dawid I. Sox17 and chordin are required for formation of Kupffer's vesicle and left-right asymmetry determination in zebrafish. Dev Dyn. 2010;239:2980-8 pubmed publisher..These defects correlated with the formation of small KVs with apparently diminished cilia, consistent with the known requirement for ciliary function in the laterality organ for the establishment of L-R asymmetry. ..
- Yamauchi H, Miyakawa N, Miyake A, Itoh N. Fgf4 is required for left-right patterning of visceral organs in zebrafish. Dev Biol. 2009;332:177-85 pubmed publisher..The present findings indicate that Fgf4 plays a unique role in the LR patterning of visceral organs in zebrafish. ..
- Zuniga E, Stellabotte F, Crump J. Jagged-Notch signaling ensures dorsal skeletal identity in the vertebrate face. Development. 2010;137:1843-52 pubmed publisher..Together, these results indicate a novel function of Jagged-Notch signaling in ensuring dorsal identity within broad fields of facial skeletal precursors. ..
- Choe C, Collazo A, Trinh L, Pan L, Moens C, Crump J. Wnt-dependent epithelial transitions drive pharyngeal pouch formation. Dev Cell. 2013;24:296-309 pubmed publisher..We propose that this dynamic control of epithelial morphology by Wnt signaling may be a common theme for the budding of organ anlagen from the endoderm. ..
- Panàkovà D, Werdich A, Macrae C. Wnt11 patterns a myocardial electrical gradient through regulation of the L-type Ca(2+) channel. Nature. 2010;466:874-8 pubmed publisher..The regulation of cellular coupling through such mechanisms may be a general property of non-canonical Wnt signals. ..
- Das A, Crump J. Bmps and id2a act upstream of Twist1 to restrict ectomesenchyme potential of the cranial neural crest. PLoS Genet. 2012;8:e1002710 pubmed publisher..Together our model shows how the integration of Bmp inhibition at its origin and Fgf activation along its migratory route would confer temporal and spatial specificity to the generation of ectomesenchyme from the neural crest...
- Pearson C, Osborn D, Giddings T, Beales P, Winey M. Basal body stability and ciliogenesis requires the conserved component Poc1. J Cell Biol. 2009;187:905-20 pubmed publisher..A second dynamic population assembles throughout the cell cycle. Our experiments identify novel roles for Poc1 in centriole stability and ciliogenesis. ..
- Garavito Aguilar Z, Riley H, Yelon D. Hand2 ensures an appropriate environment for cardiac fusion by limiting Fibronectin function. Development. 2010;137:3215-20 pubmed publisher..Together, our data provide a novel example of a tissue creating a favorable environment for its morphogenesis: the Hand2 pathway establishes an appropriate environment for cardiac fusion through negative modulation of Fn1 levels. ..
- Kim Y, Kim M, Koo T, Kim J, Koun S, Ham H, et al. Histone deacetylase is required for the activation of Wnt/?-catenin signaling crucial for heart valve formation in zebrafish embryos. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2012;423:140-6 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our results demonstrated that HDAC activity plays a pivotal role in vertebrate heart tube formation by activating Wnt/?-catenin signaling which induces bmp4 expression in AVC myocardial cells. ..
- Choudhry P, Trede N. DiGeorge syndrome gene tbx1 functions through wnt11r to regulate heart looping and differentiation. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e58145 pubmed publisher..This is the first study linking tbx1 and non-canonical Wnt signaling and extends our understanding of DGS and heart development. ..
- de Pater E, Clijsters L, Marques S, Lin Y, Garavito Aguilar Z, Yelon D, et al. Distinct phases of cardiomyocyte differentiation regulate growth of the zebrafish heart. Development. 2009;136:1633-41 pubmed publisher..Together, our data support a model in which modified regulation of these distinct phases of cardiomyocyte differentiation has been responsible for the changes in heart size and morphology among vertebrate species. ..
- Hong S, Dawid I. FGF-dependent left-right asymmetry patterning in zebrafish is mediated by Ier2 and Fibp1. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2009;106:2230-5 pubmed publisher..We conclude that Ier2 and Fibp1 mediate FGF signaling in ciliogenesis in Kupffer's Vesicle and in the establishment of laterality in the zebrafish embryo. ..
- Mitchell I, Brown T, Terada L, Amatruda J, Nwariaku F. Effect of vascular cadherin knockdown on zebrafish vasculature during development. PLoS ONE. 2010;5:e8807 pubmed publisher..Our results demonstrate a significant role for VE-cadherin in cardiac development independent of its effects on the formation of the peripheral vasculature. ..
- Fujimoto E, Stevenson T, Chien C, Bonkowsky J. Identification of a dopaminergic enhancer indicates complexity in vertebrate dopamine neuron phenotype specification. Dev Biol. 2011;352:393-404 pubmed publisher..We conclude that regulation of dopaminergic neuron phenotype in vertebrates is regulated by dispersed regulatory elements. ..
- Thomas N, Koudijs M, van Eeden F, Joyner A, Yelon D. Hedgehog signaling plays a cell-autonomous role in maximizing cardiac developmental potential. Development. 2008;135:3789-99 pubmed publisher..Thus, Hh signaling plays an essential early role in defining the optimal number of cardiomyocytes, making it an attractive target for manipulation of multipotent progenitor cells. ..
- Kawahara A, Nishi T, Hisano Y, Fukui H, Yamaguchi A, Mochizuki N. The sphingolipid transporter spns2 functions in migration of zebrafish myocardial precursors. Science. 2009;323:524-7 pubmed publisher..Thus, Spns2 in the YSL functions as a S1P transporter in S1P secretion, thereby regulating myocardial precursor migration. ..
- Chi N, Bussen M, Brand Arzamendi K, Ding C, Olgin J, Shaw R, et al. Cardiac conduction is required to preserve cardiac chamber morphology. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2010;107:14662-7 pubmed publisher..Overall, these in vivo studies indicate that cardiac electrical forces are required to preserve cardiac chamber morphology and may act as a key epigenetic factor in cardiac remodeling...
- Stewart S, Stankunas K. Limited dedifferentiation provides replacement tissue during zebrafish fin regeneration. Dev Biol. 2012;365:339-49 pubmed publisher..These blastemas each have an organized structure of lineage restricted, dedifferentiated cells that cooperate to regenerate the caudal fin. ..
- Osborne N, Brand Arzamendi K, Ober E, Jin S, Verkade H, Holtzman N, et al. The spinster homolog, two of hearts, is required for sphingosine 1-phosphate signaling in zebrafish. Curr Biol. 2008;18:1882-8 pubmed publisher..Through gain- and loss-of-function analyses, we show that toh is required for signaling by S1P(2). Further evidence indicates that Toh is involved in the trafficking or cellular release of S1P. ..
- Baker K, Holtzman N, Burdine R. Direct and indirect roles for Nodal signaling in two axis conversions during asymmetric morphogenesis of the zebrafish heart. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2008;105:13924-9 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that Nodal signaling directs asymmetric cardiac morphogenesis through establishing and subsequently reinforcing laterality information over the course of cardiac development. ..
- Panizzi J, Becker Heck A, Castleman V, Al Mutairi D, Liu Y, Loges N, et al. CCDC103 mutations cause primary ciliary dyskinesia by disrupting assembly of ciliary dynein arms. Nat Genet. 2012;44:714-9 pubmed publisher..Chlamydomonas Ccdc103/Pr46b functions as a tightly bound, axoneme-associated protein. These results identify Ccdc103 as a dynein arm attachment factor that causes primary ciliary dyskinesia when mutated. ..
- Oteiza P, Köppen M, Krieg M, Pulgar E, Farias C, Melo C, et al. Planar cell polarity signalling regulates cell adhesion properties in progenitors of the zebrafish laterality organ. Development. 2010;137:3459-68 pubmed publisher..Our results reveal a novel role for PCP-dependent cell adhesion in coordinating the supracellular organisation of progenitor cells during vertebrate laterality organ formation. ..
- Gao C, Wang G, Amack J, Mitchell D. Oda16/Wdr69 is essential for axonemal dynein assembly and ciliary motility during zebrafish embryogenesis. Dev Dyn. 2010;239:2190-7 pubmed publisher..Analysis of cilium ultrastructure revealed loss of outer dynein arms in morphant embryos. These results support a remarkable level of functional conservation for Oda16/Wdr69. ..
- Rohr S, Bit Avragim N, Abdelilah Seyfried S. Heart and soul/PRKCi and nagie oko/Mpp5 regulate myocardial coherence and remodeling during cardiac morphogenesis. Development. 2006;133:107-15 pubmed
- Sato M, Tsai H, Yost H. Semaphorin3D regulates invasion of cardiac neural crest cells into the primary heart field. Dev Biol. 2006;298:12-21 pubmed..Here we show in zebrafish that neural crest cells invade and contribute cardiac myosin light chain2 (cmlc2)-positive cardiomyocytes to the primary heart field...
- Peterson R, Mably J, Chen J, Fishman M. Convergence of distinct pathways to heart patterning revealed by the small molecule concentramide and the mutation heart-and-soul. Curr Biol. 2001;11:1481-91 pubmed..Combined chemical/genetic dissection can identify nodal points in development, of special importance in understanding the complex patterning events of organogenesis. ..
- Kim K, Antkiewicz D, Yan L, Eliceiri K, Heideman W, Peterson R, et al. Lrrc10 is required for early heart development and function in zebrafish. Dev Biol. 2007;308:494-506 pubmed..in atrial natriuretic factor, a hallmark for cardiac hypertrophy and failure, and a decrease in cardiac myosin light chain 2, an essential protein for cardiac contractility in zebrafish...
- Berdougo E, Coleman H, Lee D, Stainier D, Yelon D. Mutation of weak atrium/atrial myosin heavy chain disrupts atrial function and influences ventricular morphogenesis in zebrafish. Development. 2003;130:6121-9 pubmed..These findings are relevant to our understanding of congenital defects in cardiac chamber morphogenesis. ..
- Schoenebeck J, Keegan B, Yelon D. Vessel and blood specification override cardiac potential in anterior mesoderm. Dev Cell. 2007;13:254-67 pubmed..This regulatory relationship between cardiovascular pathways suggests strategies for directing progenitor cell differentiation to facilitate cardiac regeneration. ..
- Smith K, Chocron S, von der Hardt S, de Pater E, Soufan A, Bussmann J, et al. Rotation and asymmetric development of the zebrafish heart requires directed migration of cardiac progenitor cells. Dev Cell. 2008;14:287-97 pubmed publisher..Together, these results support a model in which CPCs migrate toward a BMP source during development of the linear heart tube, providing a mechanism by which the left-right axis drives asymmetric development of the vertebrate heart. ..
- Qu X, Jia H, Garrity D, Tompkins K, Batts L, Appel B, et al. Ndrg4 is required for normal myocyte proliferation during early cardiac development in zebrafish. Dev Biol. 2008;317:486-96 pubmed publisher..Together, our studies reveal an essential role of ndrg4 in regulating proliferation and growth of cardiomyocytes, suggesting that ndrg4 may function downstream of tbx5 during heart development and growth. ..
- Amack J, Wang X, Yost H. Two T-box genes play independent and cooperative roles to regulate morphogenesis of ciliated Kupffer's vesicle in zebrafish. Dev Biol. 2007;310:196-210 pubmed..By targeting morpholinos to DFCs, we show that these cell autonomous functions in KV morphogenesis are necessary for LR patterning throughout the embryo. ..
- Wang W, Huang C, Lu Y, Hsin J, Prabhakar V, Cheng C, et al. Heart-targeted overexpression of Nip3a in zebrafish embryos causes abnormal heart development and cardiac dysfunction. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2006;347:979-87 pubmed..These results showed that myocyte apoptosis is a universal pathogenic factor for congenital heart failure using zebrafish as a model organism. ..
- Sun X, Zhang R, Lin X, Xu X. Wnt3a regulates the development of cardiac neural crest cells by modulating expression of cysteine-rich intestinal protein 2 in rhombomere 6. Circ Res. 2008;102:831-9 pubmed publisher..We propose that this function of wnt3a in r6 is partially mediated by crip2 expression in the premigratory cardiac NCCs, which subsequently affects cardiac function and PA patterning. ..
- Burns C, Milan D, Grande E, Rottbauer W, Macrae C, Fishman M. High-throughput assay for small molecules that modulate zebrafish embryonic heart rate. Nat Chem Biol. 2005;1:263-4 pubmed..This is the first high-throughput micro-well assay for organ function in an intact vertebrate. ..
- Marques S, Lee Y, Poss K, Yelon D. Reiterative roles for FGF signaling in the establishment of size and proportion of the zebrafish heart. Dev Biol. 2008;321:397-406 pubmed publisher..Together, our data demonstrate that a single signaling pathway can act reiteratively to coordinate organ size and proportion. ..
- Holtzinger A, Evans T. Gata4 regulates the formation of multiple organs. Development. 2005;132:4005-14 pubmed..In addition, both Gata4 and Gata6 are essential and non-redundant for liver growth following initial budding. ..
- Ueno S, Weidinger G, Osugi T, Kohn A, Golob J, Pabon L, et al. Biphasic role for Wnt/beta-catenin signaling in cardiac specification in zebrafish and embryonic stem cells. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2007;104:9685-90 pubmed..Thus, Wnt/beta-catenin signaling promotes cardiac differentiation at early developmental stages and inhibits it later. Control of this pathway may promote derivation of cardiomyocytes for basic research and cell therapy applications. ..
- Schottenfeld J, Sullivan Brown J, Burdine R. Zebrafish curly up encodes a Pkd2 ortholog that restricts left-side-specific expression of southpaw. Development. 2007;134:1605-15 pubmed..pkd2 also appears to play a role in the propagation of Nodal signals in the LPM. Based on morpholino studies, we propose an additional role for maternal pkd2 in general mesendoderm patterning. ..
- Chen Z, Huang W, Dahme T, Rottbauer W, Ackerman M, Xu X. Depletion of zebrafish essential and regulatory myosin light chains reduces cardiac function through distinct mechanisms. Cardiovasc Res. 2008;79:97-108 pubmed publisher..Using zebrafish (Danio rerio) as a model organism, we have identified cmlc1 and cmlc2 as the main ELC and RLC orthologues, respectively, and have furthermore characterized their functions during ..
- Bisgrove B, Snarr B, Emrazian A, Yost H. Polaris and Polycystin-2 in dorsal forerunner cells and Kupffer's vesicle are required for specification of the zebrafish left-right axis. Dev Biol. 2005;287:274-88 pubmed..Our data suggest that the functions of polaris and pkd2 in LR patterning are conserved between zebrafish and mice and that Kupffer's vesicle functions as a ciliated organ of asymmetry. ..
- Sultana N, Nag K, Hoshijima K, Laird D, Kawakami A, Hirose S. Zebrafish early cardiac connexin, Cx36.7/Ecx, regulates myofibril orientation and heart morphogenesis by establishing Nkx2.5 expression. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2008;105:4763-8 pubmed publisher..5 expression, which in turn promotes unidirectional, parallel alignment of myofibrils and the subsequent proper heart morphogenesis. ..
- Zhao C, Malicki J. Genetic defects of pronephric cilia in zebrafish. Mech Dev. 2007;124:605-16 pubmed..Mutants characterized in this study reveal intriguing genetic differences between subpopulations of embryonic cilia, and provide an opportunity to study several aspects of cilia structure and function. ..
- Panizzi J, Jessen J, Drummond I, Solnica Krezel L. New functions for a vertebrate Rho guanine nucleotide exchange factor in ciliated epithelia. Development. 2007;134:921-31 pubmed..Our studies in zebrafish embryos have identified new, essential roles for this RhoGEF in ciliated epithelia during vertebrate development...